Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    Yes, it is listed as a rental. I would agree that they may have removed the auto-dimming/OnStar mirror at some point. I am trying to get them to install the correct mirror (they advertised it as having the auto-dimming mirror) or make some other correction. It is quite a clean and tight car.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I am trying to get them to install the correct mirror

That would be my advice, especially if you want the OnStar functionality. It isn't cheap but I recommend it to loved ones primarily for the security of roadside assistance. The other features are handy as well. ;)
  • ssownerssowner Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if Xenon lights are available for this car?

I understand the factory fills new Corvettes with Mobil 1, is it a good idea to run it in the 5.3?
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Ah yes, rental! Nothing in our SS screams 'RENTAL' at me more loudly than the brief flash of the odometer every time you open the door. Does anyone know if this 'feature' can be disabled?
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2007 Impala LTZ, I traded a 2005 Monte Carlo LS with just over 20k.

Main reason: I wanted 4 doors. I liked my Monte but hated the two door.

Secondary reason: rear windows that rolled down, the two-door Monte had stationary back seat windows.

Final reason: Tie--larger V-6 with AFM and Leather Seats.
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    Martin22 wrote: "Ah yes, rental! Nothing in our SS screams 'RENTAL' at me more loudly than the brief flash of the odometer every time you open the door. Does anyone know if this 'feature' can be disabled? "

I like it, cause I usually have my DIC setting on something besides the mundane odometer reading. This will give me a bit of info each time I enter my vehicle.

But this feature is there for service people so they don't have to have physically turn on the key to get the milage while writing a ticket. If you can enable that one feature on hundreds of vehicles it will make their time much more profitable. It is not, however, indictative that GM thinks that more tickets will be written.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Have you gone through the DIC setup for options--check the owners manual in the glovebox. On our earlier GM car things like the horn and no horn when remote opening car, right mirror dipping to show curb when in reverse, and other options I forget are in the choice you go through for each of two drivers. Check your owners manual...

If not there, ask your dealer when it's in for service if they can do it with the Tech II computer they hook up.

The normal DIC will display mileage when you press and hold the odometer button even when key's not on. But I guess that makes it easier for the rental and service writers..., they don't have to reach inside the car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

H-11 low beam, H-9 high beam are the current bulbs used in the 06 Impala. I haven't upgraded mine yet but was pleased with the BrightStar bulbs I used in my '02 Monte Carlo. I don't think they're Xenon but the lighting was much brighter and clearer. I have seen H-9/11 xenon bulbs offered on several web sites so they are available. If you do upgrage, please pass along your experience.

As for Mobile 1, it's what I use exclusively in my SS and my last two cars. If you change the oil when the vehicle's sensor tells you to (like I do), it's an even better idea. Using the oil for the longer service life also negates the increased cost over conventional motor oil.
  • ssownerssowner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into the bulbs, wish me luck ! :)
  • carl10219carl10219 Member Posts: 18
    I was told by the dealership to use Quaker State because they warranty the engine for mechanical failure for 100,000 miles,does Mobile offer something like that? Also a friend of mine claimed he got better gas mileage since switching to Mobile 1 has anybody found this to true?
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I've noticed that I have some pretty deep scratches on all of my windows. They all run vertically and in parallel lines so they must be related to the windows going up and down. Has anyone else noticed this? :confuse:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    No blue headlights for this car thank goodness.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I am not sure about the other oils, but Quaker States engine warranty doesn't sound too impresive to me. I could use a generic brand oil like Kmart and get 100,000 miles out of an engine or more. If your engine did break before 100,000 miles using Quaker State, you would have to provide the proof that it was oil related and that would probably cost you a pretty penny and then Quaker State may want to dispute that. This is all a marketing game.
    The dealer said that even if they put the auto-dimming mirror with the Onstar feature into the car, Onstar would not operate. Does that sound correct? They offered to give me $500 back instead.
    I have no experience with rental fleet vehicles. Maybe they are purchased without the OnStar electronics. It would be worth calling GM to find out for sure if it's something you want. Your insurance company may be able to tell you if it's coded in the VIN. It also may be grounds for a refund since the car was falsely advertised. It just depends on how important the OnStar feature is to you. I feel for you. :(
    I called GM and they said the vehicle was delivered without Onstar. Although I would have liked Onstar, the dealer was willing to refund me $500. I actually was more interested in the auto-dimming mirror in any event, but can live with a day-night manual switch.
    Not bad. $500 is nothing to sneeze at and if you still want it, you may be able to purchase the auto-dimming mirror. :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >you may be able to purchase the auto-dimming mirror

Depends on how it's set up to operate... depends on the wiring.

I could try looking at my 03 service manual for its mirror. Would be better if someone familiar with Chevy's mirror would chime in...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jjcskyjjcsky Member Posts: 7
    Just ordered the accessory wheels from my dealer...look real sweet! Anyone else have it/like the look?
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I can't believe that nobody else here has noticed excessive scratching of their door glass. I took mine to the dealer and they had no idea but did agree that something was wrong. I'm taking the car in next week so that they can take apart the doors and try to find a cause. While I was there I saw another Impala that had been left for service and noticed that it had the beginnings of some deep scratches in the windows. Some of my scratches are so deep that you can catch your fingernail on them with the drivers window being the worst as it is obviously used the most. If you think of it, take a close look at your glass and let me know if you notice anything.

Thanks
  • jjcskyjjcsky Member Posts: 7
    I can't believe that nobody else here has noticed excessive scratching of their door glass

dude, if you have scratches in your glass running parallel in a vertical pattern it is the window mechanism within the door more than likely. I had a similar issue with my '03 Grand Prix GTP. A piece of rubber in the mechanism actually frays and exposes part of the metal within the mechanism - at least that is what happened to my door. At the time there had been a tech bulletin out for the GTP. There maybe one for the impala i am not sure but more than likely thats your problem.....

ja
  • bugley1bugley1 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a Car Cover from Pep Boys ($60) it seems to be pretty abrasive to my black paint does anyone have suggestions which car covers are good that dont scratch paint or clear coat and arent REALLY expencive?
    I just bought a 2006 Impala LTZ. The first I thought my back hurt because I was helping moving a couple of tables, but after a week I was convinced it is the seat. Yesterday, I finally took a bleacher cushion (about an inch thick) and that seemed to help a bit. Two questions:
    1. Is there any TSB for this seat in the early 2006 Impalas? (I expect there is not.)
    2. Is there any other fix for the seat? I thought perhaps there is a thin memory foam seat cover sold somewhere.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    If I remember correctly the first two months build of the 2006 Impala had a different lumbar support / seat. That would be cars built in June and July of 2005. I don't know if there was a TSB.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    It seems by many of the posters that they are not experiencing just a single problem with their 2006 Impalas but a multitude of many issues each. How frustrating is that. Reading previous posts of owners of 2000-2005 Impalas those that experienced problems were mostly single issues. Not very good testimonials for the current Impala. Standard on all 2007 chevrolets is the 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. That covers engine/transmission but I don't believe it covers many of the issues that people are experiencing that have posted here. Its probably still the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on all other components. I am sure there are many happy 2006 Impala owners but there are far too many issues that shouldn't be happening. Hopefully many of these problems on the 2006 Impalas were addressed when they started 3 months ago rolling out the 2007s. We know that there were many major changes to the 2006 Impala from the previous model. As many have stated before the first year model of any new car is probably the year to avoid while they sort out the early problems.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    You are very right, first year out is always a risk with any automobile. When I was in the market back in July I was looking at 4 models:

1. Chevy Impala
    2. Dodge Charger
    3. Hyundai Sonata
    4. Ford Fusion

All were 2006 model year and all were first year models. So, I was faced with the decision of which first year model would be the best choice.

The Dodge was rear-wheel drive, we get snow here, and I drive 60 miles a day minimum (a snow tire package would run close to $1200...no thanks). That pretty much knocked it off the list.

I had owned Ford products in the past that were not 1st year models and had way more than their fair share of problems. That knocked the Fusion off the list.

That brought me to the Hyundai and the Chevy. I have an associate who has put 3 engines in an Elantra GT in the past 2 years. That made me nervous as I was looking at the 4cylinder Sonata. Plus the dealers are starting to play games with pricing (market adjustments on Hyundais).

So, the Chevy won out. My parent's very good service from their '03 Impala LS also contributed to the final choice.

My Impala is an okay car. I have just a short list of things that I think could be better:

1. Better upper dashboard and door panel build quality (less creaks and rattles)
    2. Better tires. The OEM 16" Goodyear Integrity tires are atrocious in the rain, even at speeds well below the posted limit. I will most likely replace them before the winter. It seems a shame to replace brand new tires, but safety does matter. Will probably go with Fuzion HRi tires to minimize the investment (they are made by Bridgestone and get great reviews...only $55 each from Tire Rack).
    3. Seats could be a little more comfortable. I agree with others on this. I have my good days and bad days with the seats. The lumbar has a lot of adjustment, but I have never been able to get it just right.
    4. Gas mileage is on the low end of the EPA estimates. I was expecting 24-25 miles per gallon in mixed driving. In reality I am averaging 22-23. Better than the 13-14mpg I was averaging with my previous Dodge Durango so I am still pleased overall.

My particular LT 3.5L does not have ABS or the tire pressure monitoring system. So, I have not had to worry about those issues. I must admit, this car is the first car I have owned since the mid-90's without ABS and I like the feel and responsiveness better.

I do have the Bose stereo and find it to be very good. No issues with it. Very good sound even from the radio. Now, radio reception could be a tad better. Haven't tried the CD player or plugged my mp3 player into the auxiliary input yet.

All in all, as I said, it is an okay car. I average close to 1300 miles per month, so I will probably keep the car 2 or so years (36,000 miles) and then move on to something else. The Impala cruises nicely and gets good mileage. The 3.5L engine has more than enough power and is quiet and smooth.

Unfortunately the forums are used more for talking about the negative versus the positive. I am not saying that is a bad thing, I do the same thing as sometimes it is very therapeutic to get things off your chest. However, I do also believe that where there is smoke there is fire. It seems a relatively small sample of owners here are reporting similar clusters of problems. If the small sample has similar concerns, then a larger group may also be affected. It will be interesting to see how the '06 and newer Impalas fare in the future.

Aside from my creaks and rattles and the tires, I have no major issues at this time. Admittedly, if I did not have the creaks and the rattles and the OEM tires were better I would have much higher praise for the car. It is amazing how little things like that can tarnish one's view of something.
    On the heels of the last message, I thought I would ask this of the forum readers. I have been thinking the same thing...that the forum seems to attract posts about problems people have. There's no real reason to post about how great something is working so here's an opportunity to express our satisfaction with our cars.

Here's my personal list:

I own an '06 SS with every option other than the auto-dimming/heated mirrors. Why it was ordered without them, I have no idea but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. :)

First off, the V-8 engine with it's sweet song. It was love at first rumble when I was car shopping with my sister. Also, the massive power output never leaves me wanting for more.

Second, the technology offered. Although I think the subscription is overpriced, I love the security of OnStar; more so for my female family members but it's nice to have a guardian watching out for you. Aside from security, OnStar now offers onboard diagnostics which has helped at least one owner out there confirm problems she was unable to duplicate at the dealership. The theft deterrence through vehicle location technology is also a plus as well as navigation help in a pinch. Finally, the built-in phone (again overpriced) is handy for when you forget your cell phone or (even better) prefer to talk hands free.

Third, the technology of the "DIC". Tire-pressure monitoring (with actual PSI readout), oil life, accurate mileage computer, compass, and thermometer are great features that are standard on most models.

Fourth, stylish rims/wheels that I'm actually proud of and are a snap to clean. I understand that not everyone loves them but I do and that's what counts. Chevy is finally paying attention to details!

Fifth, gobs of usable space in the trunk. This car is not only fun to own but it is very practical.

No, the Impala isn't perfect but for the price and features, it was perfect for me.

Hopefully this positive post reminds those with annoying little problems that the car is still very good. Also, if we're lucky, Chevy will soon get a handle on the little annoyances that are bothering us. Keep your heads up fellow Impala owners. Overall, even with its problems, the Impala is a great car. :)
  • susesuse Member Posts: 4
    I absolutely love my lazor-blue ss impala. I have driven 16,000 miles since my Oct '05 purchase. I have driven along the Washington and Oragon coasts recently returning to Southern Calif.

While I did have some lites come on, "service brake system, traction, tire pressure , and engine"... the car ran with no problems.

Could the lazor-blue color be a limited #? I have not seen another one on the road in 50,000 miles of driving this year. (I drive for a living... so this is a total milage in all the vehicles i drive.) so I guess that makes my car super special:)

the dealer, Santa Ana's Guarantee Chev has been fantastic.

The a/c was a problem until I had the dealer's service dept use the software fix JC Cooley recommended. It fixed the problem.

No problems with tailgators.. I left them in the dust...lol

very comfortable ride.. and love the xm radio!

I love the car, however, the new camero coming out in '08 may tempt me to trade it in!!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    The current (Nov. 06) issue of Motor Trend has info on the upcoming RWD 2010 Impala (based on the same platform as the Camaro). I wasn't particularly wowed by the renderings in the magazine (not nearly as many retro cues as I was led to believe there would be), but if you like the notion of the Camaro but need the practicality of a sedan, the 2010 Impala might be worth waiting for. Apparently Chevy is enlarging the Malibu to the size of the current Impala, so it will become the large FWD option, and the Impala will provide a RWD alternative. I think the new Malibu is to be a 2009 model (available in 2008), which it right around the corner.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    i guess this forum would not be complete without my 2 cents either. I have had every single problem known to man in this car and it was one of the first off the line. and as i have posted in earlier posts i am happy to say that all issues that i have had in the past have been fixed including the key fob range. the ac is fantastic, the fobs and tpms are wonderful, the tranny is great, the heater hoses were done, every piece of software has been updated to match current tis software and i love my car. i hated it at first but after going to the dealership many times i now have a very special bond with them. the same guy works on my car and does what i tell him to do per the bullitins regardlesss if it duplicates or not, it still was an issue! for those of you that are still having fob and tires issues etc, please tell your sealerships to replace the dang rcdlr and program the latest software per tis, i swear it works! i love starting my car from a 3rd flor friends house and still be 200 feet away, it is much better than the 2 feet i got before!
    I took my remotes to the Dealer they said they reset them or reprogramed them but i am still having range issues is there something else i should be telling them?
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I really love my ’06 LTZ (black with ebony cloth interior and “brushed steel” trim). I'm up to 25,000 km with only the key fob issue being a problem.

Things that stand out the most? Engine (loads of power), Transmission (soooo smooth!), Clean lines of the dash, Headlight system (one touch to turn on everything including the fog lights, and they turn off automatically), Lane change signals (one quick push up or down gives you 3 blinks), Flash to pass (wasn’t on the previous Impala), Steering wheel controls (nice improvements over previous Impala), OnStar (used it while tailing a seriously impared driver last week), Seats (very comfortable for my 6’1”, 280lb frame), lots of power outlets, HUGE trunk, the flip and fold back seats, airbags all around, sliding sun visors, tire monitoring system (with real tire pressures!), drivers’ information centre (nice improvements over previous Impala).

Not so great things? Hate the new hazard light switch (have to reach through the steering wheel – the previous Impala was much better), lots of drinks fall out of the cup holders, no hooks for dry cleaning in the back seat (have to use the roof handles – not the best solution), hard to hold the steering wheel at 9 and 3 (my preferred driving position), no good place for coins (they slide out of the small flat part on the driver’s door map pocket, and it’s too small anyway), headrests don’t tilt forward. Mostly just little nit-picky things! As I said before, my fob range sucks too, but I haven’t given them a chance to fix it yet (hopefully they don’t just blame my tinted windows).

The only thing I liked better about my ’01 Impala is that more people moved out of my way on the highway because the Ontario Provincial Police had LOTS of that model. They haven’t embraced the new Impala, so far fewer people move over when I come bombing along in the left lane. Poor me ;-)

I agree with quietpro. The car isn't perfect, but it's getting really close!
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Are you referring to the "tire issue" as the actual tires or the tire monitor system? I've dealt with both, but the tires have been the problem that worries me the most. It is impossible to know whether to trust the monitor or not. As I said earlier, a few weeks ago the light was on because of a bad tire. Last week, it was not really an issue---just reset and go. If there is a solution that would reassure me, I will travel into the winter months much less concerned. Snow and bad tires is a scary thought.

Fortunately, the service writer I deal with is very willing to get the car in quickly to resolve any issue, but that doesn't lessen the apprehension on the road.
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    have them replace and reprogram the reciever with the new software in tis update
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Does the 3.9L run on premium gas?
    The 3.9L will run just fine on regular grade (87 octane) gas. It does not require premium.

Chevy only "recommends" premium for the V8 Impalas.
    Hi,

A few days ago I posted message number 2099, in which I basically said my Impala is an okay car that I would probably keep for 2 years and then move on.

Well, I think this car is giving me a nervous breakdown. Between the creaks in the dash and the clunk in the door, I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate this car. I have a shim in one section of the dash to quiet one of the creaks. I attempted to put a shim in another section of the dash, but that shim proceeded to disappear into the dash somewhere?! I have all but given up on yet another severe creak that has formed. The door clunk is very annoying. It almost sounds like the door is loose or something. These types of issues should not be happening on a 2006 model year car and I shouldn't have to be shimming the dash to keep it quiet.

For a car with only 3,000 miles on it, it sounds more like a 75,000 mile vehicle. Very disappointing and frustrating. The build quality on this vehicle is probably the worst I have seen in the past 14 years (and I have owned many cars in that time). I seem to be getting a new noise every 3 or 4 days. I may just take the depreciation hit and get rid of this thing as soon as possible.

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry to bring the discussion down as I know it has been going in a positive direction recently.
    Where can you find free TSB's? i had the tire monitor issue in 1 tire now another one is doin it and the remotes were "reprogramed" but still acting up
  • fallguy78fallguy78 Member Posts: 1
    I have a few problems with my 06 impala LT. I get the service air bag and passenger door open. Even though door is closed. :confuse:
    Here's a little add on to my earlier praise of the car. We took a trip through the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest in NC and TN and it was a blast. The views were incredible and the car made it even better. Climbing and descending the mountains was effortless and it sounded SO good. Also saw something that surprised me. I was actually climbing some fairly steep grades in 4-cylinder mode at around 20-30 mph. I didn't think that was possible but it speaks to the power of the engine.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Anyone see an 07 LTZ yet?

I am wondering if there are any changes other than the engine and the warranty? Thx
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    I have test drove two LTZ and there is no other changes.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Sorry for the late reply. What I'd do is keep taking it to the dealer for your problems and when it isn't fixed -after three times for the dash noises for example - then invoke the Lemon Law and get the dealer to buy it back. If I had done this with my 2000 LeSabre instead of selling it at 12,000 miles I would have saved about $10,000. My dealer (and zone office) refused to replace a faulty strut bushing after many trips over there and a lot of frustrations, letters, etc. Check out your state's lemon law. It is better than losing $10k on a quick sale since these Impalas appear to be worth about $17k when you drive them off the lot and $14k a little later.
    No need to apologize :)

Unfortunately the Lemon Law here only applies to safety related problems or problems that significantly impact the value of the vehicle. Squeaks and rattles do not qualify for the Lemon Law unless they are directly related to a safety defect :(

I looked into trading recently, and your comments on resale value are right on the money. I am electing to keep the car for now and just live with it.

My issue right now is finding a replacement for the atrocious Goodyear Integrity tires. I have 5,000 miles on my Impala, and although the tires are still technically "new" they are the worst I have ever experienced in wet weather. I am actually nervous to drive this car in the rain. My '99 Camaro was a treat in bad weather compared to the Impala.

I have narrowed it down to the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T, the Yokohama Avid TRZ, or the Kumho Solus. Can't decide which to get out of these three. Leaning toward the Yokohama, but just can't decide. :confuse:
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Sorry about the Lemon Law. I guess the thing to do in the future is to buy a used Impala with less than 10,000 miles on it. You can then determine if it squeaks, rattles, etc. I don't have any problems with the '06 I bought new in March but would have saved a lot of money if I had bought a used one. I wanted the fold down rear seat and Bose stereo so I ordered one but won't do it again. The depreciation is terrible. I always get certified Devilles a year old and save a fortune. I should have waited a few months and looked around for one.
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    HI

Sure I have scratches on my door windows too. Also noticed them on my 05 Impala. Power steering recall anyone? How about the wind noise at highway speeds or The tire monitor system coming on or the clunking sound when you turn the wheel at low speed or the clicking and popping sounds coming from the dash and the list or annoying problems with my 06 LTZ. I have been back to the dealer numerous times to have these problems fixed. Other than that, the car is a nice vechicle to drive with lots of pep.
  • rjp92rjp92 Member Posts: 4
    I have a new black 2007 Impala LTZ that I bought back in the middle of October and I'm noticing excessive paint chipping on the hood. Looking closer at the chips, the paint coat appears to be paper-thin. I'm doing normal driving on local roads and highways - no dirt or gravel roads. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the '06 or '07 models?
  • carl10219carl10219 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, we have a 2006 SS in Sport Red and are also getting the chips in the paint.I was amazed how well they were able to cover the entire car with 1-onethousandth of an inch of paint.We really like the car but are a little dissappointed with the paint.
    Carl
    I have a 2006 SS impala the paint was very thin in spots i could see primer so i took it back to the dealer they repainted the hood quarter panels and trunk
  • melekalikimakamelekalikimaka Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2006 Impala LT. I previously had a 2001 Impala and was happy with the sound system. The sound in the 2006 is horrible. I'd like to get a new audio system, but I'm very confused. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I'm looking for something as good as or better than the standard sound system used in the 2001 Impala. Basically, anything better than what I'm currently stuck with. I'm not asking for much :)
    Is it possible to take it back to the dealership and have them install the Bose (premium) sound system? Is the average car audio store capable of installing a new system if I have the radio controls in the steering wheel? What is it that I actually need? A new receiver? Amp? Just new speakers?
    I also have a Delphi Roady (xm radio) that I'd like installed. Where can it even be mounted in the 2006 without drilling holes, or having wires all around? Is it just easier to get a new XM ready receiver?
    Thanks in advance for any replies. Sorry for such stupid questions, but I'm new to this all.