Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    It may be possible to have the Bose system installed but I would guess it will be a rather expensive upgrade. Before you spend that kind of money, make sure you really like it. I have on '06 SS with the Bose system and 6 CD changer. It's not all that "premium" in its sound quality. Search through this forum and you will find a couple others who have complained about it's overall quality (there were also issues with the amp used but it has been fixed (MOSTLY)). I owned an '02 Monte Carlo with premium (non-Bose) sound and thought it was much better than what I have now. That said, I do love the ability to play MP3s.

After checking with Chevy, I would suggest giving Circuit City a look. They do very well with installing aftermarket head units and guarantee their work. That's important when trying to change a GM stereo since they are so integrated into the car's computers. Also, you need to remember that your current stereo plays all chimes (door, seatbelt, etc) as well as turn/hazard signal ticks. You will likely have to buy a separate unit to replace those sounds with an aftermarket stereo. That's probably my least favorite thing about GM. :(

Good luck and tell us what you find out! :)
  • Options
    axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Oh yes I forgot to mention the paint chips also. I do alot of highway driving and there are numerous paint chips on the hood. Whats a 2006 LTZ owner to do? Also what is tis? I still have the pop and clicking sounds coming from the dash and have mentioned this to the dealer but they have not heard other owners complaining of this problem. What is the solution for this and does anyone here have the answer?
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Chevrolet has issued a Technical Service Bulletin to fix the popping and clicking sounds coming from the dash. Next time you are at the dealer with the problem, mention the following TSB:

06-08-49-011 MAR 06 Interior - Dash Area Clicking/Ticking Noise At Warm Up

The dash in my '06 makes the noises, but I have learned to live with it for now. Mine does it in the summer months when it is very hot out, and also does it in the cooler months when I have the heat turned on and the dash starts to warm up.

Those who have had the Technical Service Bulletin performed claim it helps.
  • Options
    steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    My mothers car doesn't have sounds coming from the dash but she does have a clacking noise coming from the engine at idle after the engine gets warm.
    Of course when i brought it to the dealer they insisted they couldnt hear anything.
  • Options
    gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    It sounds like you have dealt with the local dealer. Have you contacted Chevrolet's customer service? They may not be able to help, but if the dealer is not able to correct the problem they are a resource. They can serve as a liaison between you and the service department if there is something that there is a "fix" for, but it is not getting done.

In my case, they were not able to really help because the fix wasn't there. However, they actually recommended that I call the Better Business Bureau to continue the process if I was not satisfied. (Fortunately most of the problems with my car seem to have been resolved----tires are the big issue now and they fall outside of GM.)

Are you sure about the Lemon Law in your area? We do have it here, but...... I was under the impression that GM had its own standards. I can tell you that they purchased back an Olds Cutlass in the early 90's. It had a water leak in the trunk from the day I picked it up. It ended up being wrecked within about 3 months, so I thought they would go back to the accident as the reason it was still leaking. However, since it had been documented from the beginning that was not a factor.

My salesman actually helped me out on this one. He told me to call customer service. You must go through the process of a complaint to them before anything can be done in regards to the lemon law. (He also suggested the call be made with this car, just in case they were not able to get things corrected.)

Friends just had a Buick purchased back after the repairs didn't fix the problem. It is at least worth checking into. My calls to customer service didn't result in anything beyond getting to vent to someone higher than the powers that be at the dealership. (I know they listened because the next visit to the dealership it was mentioned that they appreciated the positive things that I had to say about them in my complaints. (In my case the problem was not at the dealership; they were as upset as I was and always worked my car into their day. In fact, the general manager was often involved.) I also got a free oil change from the process.
  • Options
    zjim,
    Just wondering if you have had the strut problem return since your replacement? I suspected mine were going bad back when you originally posted this but I've just been kind of dealing with it since I wasn't 100% sure there was a problem. Well, after driving my sister's Impala LT, it was night and day and I realized I wasn't just being picky. My car is extremely "busy" at speed when traveling over anything but perfectly smooth pavement. I took mine in for service and explained the difference between our cars but since they aren't the same trim level, I was told that since mine has the larger/heavier engine that it was normal to bounce more. I suggested that if anything, the SS would be firmer than the LT and they decided to take a look. Needless to say, they found nothing wrong. I'm going to try again and use your comparison method. My only concern is that there won't likely be a new '06 SS on the lot and I'll either get a used SS with the same defective suspension or I'll be told the '07's suspension is different.

Anyway, wish me luck and give me a follow-up on your new suspension. Thanks... :)
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Answers by the chevy service department "yours has the larger/heavier engine that it was normal to bounce more"

GM has come a long way with reliability with their vehicles but still a long way to go to educate service advisors to be a little more customer oriented when dealing with issues that the customer is concerned with. I have dealt with Chevy service advisors for nearly 40 years and most are OK but their are still a lot of care less attitude employees. If the car is not handling/performing the way it was a few months before when you bought it then you have a legitimate concern.

I would take the car to another chevy dealership and compare answers between the two service advisors as to your problem. If not satisfied, ask to speak with the Service Manager. You paid for this warranty within the cost of the car you expect it perform the way it was a few months before when the car was new. Nothing less would be acceptable.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree 100%. But, I'm not totally disatisfied with the service visit. I had other problems (brake pulsation, the HVAC software issue) and those were handled pretty much to my satisfaction (the HVAC has developed another minor glitch). As for the way I was treated, it was pretty good and they did agree that if I could bring it back, they would compare it side-by-side with another car. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to return.

I will be taking the car to another dealership soon. I'll follow-up here once I have something to report. :)
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    We Took Our '06 LS on a Road Trip and Got 28 mpg (calculated, not the computer) with a family of four inside, driving 80 mph. Pretty good!

It was really quiet compared to our old Dodge minivan, which was another big plus, with better acceleration too.
  • Options
    2006impalacah2006impalacah Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all!
    I recently became the owner of a 2006 Chevy Impala (pics coming soon!) and about had a heart attack when the local Chevy dealership quoted me the base cost for an oil change. I specified that I wanted a different brand of oil than their standard and was told that it would be more expensive (between $30 and $40 for lube oil and filter!). Now I have always done my own service work, but I thought it might be in my best interest to take it to GM because of the oil life indicator needing reset after the oil change. Is there a way that I can reset the sensor or will I be forced to pay the higher cost? Thanks for the help!
    Chris
  • Options
    Chris,
    Resetting the oil life sensor, as with all the other information stored in the Driver's Instrument Cluster (DIC) is as simple as pressing and holding the "check mark" button while the information is being displayed. The only procedure that is a little complicated is resetting the tire monitoring after tire rotation. I haven't done it myself but I hear it isn't too tough if you have a helper.
    Go ahead and change your own oil. It's a breeze with my SS! :)
  • Options
    You can reset the tire monitoring system two ways. One is through the RDS on the radio (following the message instructions) or the easiest is with the ignition on pulling your parking light switch on and off 3 times and you will then hear a chime. The system resets either way used.
  • Options
    charts2,
    Unless I'm mistaken, all of the maintenance functions have been moved to the DIC (and simplified) in the '06+ models. The reference to the tire monitoring was about how you must reconfigure the system after rotating tires. The '06 tracks actual tire pressure of each individual tire. Once you rotate the tires, you have to "tell" the computer where each tire is located on the vehicle (left-front, right-rear, etc). I believe it's fairly simple with two people as one adjusts tire pressure outside, the other sets the location on the DIC. You can do it alone but would have to repeatedly move back and forth from the tires to the driver's seat.

Ron
  • Options
    I stand to be corrected. On the 2005 and previous Impalas the tire monitoring was based on number of tire revolutions (thousands/millions) and only indicated a tire was low on air. What you are saying is the 2006 Impalas now base the tire monitoring on each individual tire based on eaches own tire pressure. Thats a move up from the previous models. thankyou for the info
  • Options
    2006impalacah2006impalacah Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks alot! :) I have always done my own service work and was going to be a little upset if I had to pay that much for an oil change. The only thing they did extra is wash the car and the couple of times I have had it in the shop for warranty work, they didn't do that great of a job! I just keep learning more about this car, as well as why quite a few law enforcement departments are using them for patrol cars!
    Thanks again!
    Chris
  • Options
    hess4hess4 Member Posts: 7
    I have just bought an 06 impala with the 3.9 engine. The engine seems very noisy when pushed a little. I am 73 years old so I do not drive fast. When I accel. the engine sounds harsh. This was a lease vehicle and only has 7.500 miles. I traded in an 02 LS, 3800 engine, which was ok. Is this normal?? This seems like a rocket ship compared to the 02. The price seemed ok for 3lt, 15K.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Don't understand your post - we just paid $32 to change the oil on our Impala at the dealer using their Castrol GTX conventional oil. When I took the Cobalt in, we paid less, $26, because I carried in my own jug of Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. (On the other hand, if you use their oil to upgrade to synthetic you pay $72 for the oil change - is that what you are objecting to - just carry in your own oil! Or bite the bullet and pay it, it's the only service required for thousands and thousands of miles.)
  • Options
    Does the noise you hear sound like abnormally loud exhaust noise or something mechanical (metal on metal) under the hood? My sister has the 3.9L in her 3LT and it makes enough (exhaust) noise to let you know the engine is working but I wouldn't consider it loud.

Probably the best thing would be to take a ride in another 3.9L and compare. If there's another one on the lot where you purchased yours, ask them for a test drive; they shouldn't have a problem with it. If yours is considerably louder, then you should take it in for service.
  • Options
    Changed the oil in my '06 3.5LT last week. Used 5w30 Castrol Syntec Blend (4qts x $4 each) and a Purolator PureONE filter ($6). $22 and about 30 minutes of my time. Not a bad deal ;) I am using a 5,000 mile oil change interval on mine...usually translates to about 28% on the oil monitor.

My owners manual, however, does not indicate the DIC reset can be used to reset the oil life monitor. My manual said to put the key in, turn it to ON (but don't start the engine), and fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within a certain number of seconds. I did that and the monitor reset with no problem. It is the same reset procedure I used to use on my '99 Camaro. Some things never change, I suppose :)
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I have an 06 LTZ with the 3.9 engine. I push it a LOT and I really like the sound it makes. It is a bit harsh, but I think it's the exhaust. My car will turn over 30,000 km tomorrow and it keeps getting a nicer and nicer growl/rumble as it ages.

I definitely agree that it's like a rocket ship. It's so much fun to floor the gas and turn her loose!

BTW, my car is black with tinted windows. I just put winter tires and black winter rims on last week. It's a riot to watch people go to pass me on multi-lane roads and stomp on the brakes when they get beside me. I'm thinking of renting me and my car out to park at the side of the road where speeding is a problem :)
  • Options
    tacoman1tacoman1 Member Posts: 6
    Have a very annoying squeak/chirp from the overhead console which is attached to the headliner. Folded down the sunglass holder and looked for screws that can be tightened, anthing that would get rid of the noise. Can be heard whenever on a bumpy road. Sound like a cricket in heat! Took it into the dealership. They were nice enough to "lube" it for me. What this accomplished was to increase the volume and frequency of the chirping. I also am treated to a lovely petroleum based smell throughout the car. It actually burns my eyes and nose when driving. There is no way to get into the console to wipe this oil out of there. If anyone has proper instruction on how to remove the console from the headliner, ie where are the mounting points. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Yeah, that method still works and also worked on my '02 Monte Carlo SS. I'm sure they keep that procedure for the people who have been using it over the years. My '02 also had a more complicated procedure through the stereo which always took me a while to re-learn after each oil change. The new system in the DIC is much more simple. Give it a try next time or even now since you are changing oil based on mileage. :)
  • Options
    Just a thought...have you looked to see if there is a Chilton's or Haynes manual at your local auto parts store? I've been known to sneak a peek at one if they aren't sealed. They usually have accurate information. :)
  • Options
    The noise happens when I punch the acc., if I ease it down its ok. it sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. It might be the exhaust but its sure harsh sounding. Good idea about going and driving another one. Thanks Harry
  • Options
    ssownerssowner Member Posts: 3
    Rotating the tires is really fun if you follow the procedure in Alldata. Alldata is a data base for the automotive indusrty and can be found at many libraries.
    After you enter the tire position mode you start with the left front wheel. The left front signal light will be illuminated until you adjust the tire pressure up or down 5-10 psi. The horn will beep and the right front light will illuminate, signaling the right front tire to be set. When you finish will all tires the horn will beep twice and your finished.
  • Options
    nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Just bought a 06 Impala w/3.9L engine. Car has only 11,000 miles and noticing many things wrong so far.

Transmission shifts rough 1-2nd gear and downshifts rough compared to other GM transmissions. And if im going 0-5 Mph in drive or reverse the car jerks back and fourth.

Clicking sound coming form the engine/transmission area ( more noticeable with raio off)

Snapping/popping coming form dashboard plastics when heat/ac/defroster are on

Remote Start works only up to 30 ft away most of the time

And it seems like when im driving on the expressway the car will go from driving perfectly straight to randomly start steering to the left or right some times. I fell like im going to side-swipe someone sooner or later

Has anyone experienced these symptoms or know if any recalls or Tsb's are out for these issues??

For a 3.9L engine with 242 HP it doesnt seems any faster than my 2000 Taurus with 200HP duratec or the 2004 impla 3.8L 200HP LS i test drove, but those cars are a 2-300 pounds lighter. And 3.9L engine seems to vibrate the cabin when im idle at stops. Not sure if it OHV's nauture compared to DOHC's or just something with this model.
  • Options
    Yes I have the same problem with the engine vibrating when I am at a stop, if the air is on its much worse. It must built that way? Harry
  • Options
    Do you know the history of those first 11,000 miles? It might be helpful in determining what's going on with your car.

The rough shifting and jerking back and forth at low speed hasn't been reported in this forum as far as I know. Some older model owners have reported rough shifts and it usually turns out to be a bad solenoid (or two) in the transaxle. These sound like issues that will be easy to demonstrate to a service rep and I assume you have the original warranty. I would have it addressed by them.

The clicking sound under the hood has been reported by a couple others. My sister owns the 3.9L and I haven't noticed it on hers. I will see her again over the holidays and I will listen for it. I'll ask her in the meantime but I'm pretty sure hers doesn't have that symptom.

The snapping/popping from the dash has been addressed in a TSB. The fix is applying "anti-itch" tape to the clips that hold part of the dash next to the windshield. It is a fairly simple fix but one owner reported that they noticed a scratch on their dash after they had the service performed. If you're concerned about it, make a note of any blemishes on your dash when you take it in so you'll have grounds if anything is damaged during the repair.

The remote start receivers seem to have issues as well. Some have had their's reprogrammed with temporary results but the only folks who have been satisfied are those who have had the receivers replaced...sometimes twice. Be prepared to argue with the service rep, especially if you have tinted windows (please share if you have tinted windows).

I have seen one other complaint about the car swerving at highway speeds. I don't remember if there was ever an actual fix reported. There have been several complaints about alignment and I personally don't hold Goodyear tires in high regard. Also, I would check to see if the same thing happens on the same stretch of highway, just to rule out road irregularities.

There's no easy way to determine if your car has power issues. Maybe take a similar model for a test drive and measure acceleration (in a safe area of course). After having been arrested (yes arrested) for doing just that, I'm not suggesting it, just offering it as an idea. You never know where a hot-headed cop may be hiding. I must've interrupted the nap of the one I found. :)

As for the rough idle, I've noticed it was roughest at idle in park or neutral. Once in gear or with the AC engaged, it becomes silky smooth. Make sure you aren't using bargain gasoline and have it checked by the service department as well. You could have dirty fuel injectors or some other issue.

Hopefully this helps you out. Other than a few minor nuisances, I've found my 06 Impala SS to be a great car. Good luck! :D
  • Options
    I have a '06 LT 3.5L Impala with a little over 5,000 miles. Purchased new at the end of July '06.

My car has some of the issues you are noticing with yours.

The snapping/popping from the dashboard is something I have noticed. Initially it was kind of startling, but I have become used to it. I do not necessarily like the sounds, but I am not ready to have the dealer do the TSB as dealers tend to make things worse most of the time instead of better.

I have also noticed the steering issue, where it will be driving just fine and then it feels like too many corrections will suddenly be needed to keep it straight. I believe, like quietpro, that much of this is due to the tires on the car (and perhaps the factory alignment settings).

To address your other issues:
    No clicking noises from my 3.5L, but since you have the 3.9L you probably don't care :)

Remote start works fine. I usually only remote start it on very cold or warm mornings, and I am able to start it from inside the house. I rarely remote start it elsewhere but in the handful of times I have done so it had to be within about 40 feet. Overall, the remote range is similar to other cars I have owned. I usually use the remote as I am walking up to the car, so the range thing isn't an issue for me.

No transmission issues on mine, although I do get a minor RPM "bounce" while driving at certain speeds...I can see the tachometer needle bounce a little up and down. But the circumstances that cause it have to be perfect, so I chalk it up to a driving condition thing.
  • Options
    axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

Yes i have the clicking and popping noise coming from the dash as well as the remote range problems. The car is going in tomorrow for the remote problem but as far as the popping noises I had the dealership listen for the noise last time i had it in but they said they did not hear anything at the time. But the problem does still persist. Ive had the car since last November and Ive had nothing but problems not to mention the recalls. My lastest problem is with the Engine Hot A/C off message from the DIC. They have replaced the thermostat twice already and again I have the message coming on almost a year after I had it in for the same problem back last Dec. I work for General Motors going on 30 years and this will be the last GM car I'll ever buy. Sorry for the attitude but that just how I feel about it right now.
  • Options
    augiesmomaugiesmom Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased this car and I have some of the same issues.
    It has 12,000 miles on it (was a program car) and I hear the snapping and popping when the heater is on.

Also, the remote start has terrible range. I have had it in the shop and they reprogrammed it....still just as bad as ever...sometimes it won't work at 10 feet!
    The Chevrolet Garage just called me and said they found a bulletin for this problem and that GM is making a new
    antenna and it is being made as we speak (hopefully)...
    It will be available in January...

Does anyone know if this is true, or just baloney he is telling me???

Also I notice if I take my hand off the wheel (to test it) the car is all over the place...seems like it definately needs a realignment...

I do like the car, just hope I can get these issues resolved soon!
  • Options
    The dash clicking and popping is addressed in a TSB and will be fixed if you take it in. Just make sure you mention the TSB if you get any flack.

If you let me know where the Chevy Garage got the info, I can ask my dealership about the new antenna. This is the first I've heard of it but it's welcome information to say the least.

Regarding the alignment, when you say "all over the place" does that mean it tracks off center in more than one direction? Be sure you're on a level road, even a large parking lot, to get an better feel for the alignment. :)
  • Options
    zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    Help is on the way. I've had the receiver changed 3 times in my car and was ready to file under the lemon law. It appears that something is about to be done about our problem. See the information below that was provided by my dealer.

Subject:
    Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC4325A - (12/01/2006)

Models:
    2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated with the latest information on the RKE and TPM concerns, advising dealers of the upcoming TSB. Please discard PIC4325.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
    Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
    Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
    RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
    New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
    Vehicle may display low fob battery.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new coax antenna has been developed for the Impala and Monte Carlo. The new coax antenna and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for all the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) concerns will be available in January 2007. Do not attempt any further repairs for any RKE or TPM concern on the 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala or Monte Carlo until the TSB is released.

Note: The parts that were available through the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) have been exhausted and no additional parts will be available through the WPC.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.
  • Options
    steveinaltasteveinalta Member Posts: 9
    Also as an FYI , if you remove the 18inch wheels and go with 16 inch with winter tires as i did, according to GM you need to store the 18 inch tires and rims at least 1/4 of a mile from the car or the monitoring system stays on and the dealer can not turn it off. Also , hats off to GM , the 06 SS still starts with no effort at -40 degrees outside
  • Options
    lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    Now that that '07 3.9 AFM V6 has been out awhile, what are owners really getting in terms of the 20 - city, 29 - highway ratings? Is the AFM feature actually delivering the 8 - 10% mileage increase that some predicted?
  • Options
    augiesmomaugiesmom Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for posting that letter about the remote start, etc. I appreciate it so much because I didn't know whether to believe the service guy or not.
    I can remote start it when I'm about 5 feet away from my car and I notice that sometimes when I start it, it dies ...I'm going to call that to there attention also.
    Do you have that problem too???
    Again, thanks for that update, can't wait till January!
  • Options
    jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    Had an unusual problem with my 06 SS this morning. I tried remote starting it from about 50 feet away as I do every morning. The lights flashed but the car never started. I repeated to start sequence again with no luck. After starting the car manually, I drove to work. After arriving, I got out of the car and tried to remote start it again. This time the lights flashed and the car attempted to start but wouldn't. It sounded just like it would if the battery was drained. I tried one more time and it finally started remotely. Since then I've remote started it with no further issues.

Any ideas or similar experiences? :confuse:
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    a new rceiver when this happened to our Impala. The remote starter would not work and we had to be up next to the car for the remote to open the door. also the remote trunk release would not work. All fixed when new receiver was installed.
    Gene
  • Options
    The only real similarity I've had with my '06 SS is the apparent inconsistency which is mentioned in the forthcoming fix.

My remote seems to work best when I'm facing the forward end of the car; it's nearly useless from behind. But, sometimes, even from the front I have to be really close. Human nature tells me to push the FOB buttons harder which obviously doesn't help. Hopefully, my FOB won't be broken before the fix is in place. Maybe the next generation FOB will have an indicator light on it so you'll know you're pressing the button and won't abuse it because the car isn't "listening." I can dream, can't I? :)
  • Options
    unctuousunctuous Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone picked up their Christmas tree yet?

Curious if it will fit in the Huge trunk with the seats down.
  • Options
    The trunk is long and wide but not very high. I doubt you would get a christmas tree in the trunk. You can't fit a bicycle in the trunk either. Its more suited for lots of small or long boxes that aren't too tall.
  • Options
    unctuousunctuous Member Posts: 9
    Well I picked up a tree yesterday from Ikea for $20. It fit in the trunk no problem with the seats down. By the way I routinely put my mountain bike in the trunk after taking the wheels off and it fits with he seats down also.
  • Options
    kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    my '07 LTZ is getting 24.3 City 28.7 Hwy with just over 5100 miles on it so far.
  • Options
    My mothers 2006 LT with the 3.5L engine still gets only 15MPG city, highway, or combo. The dealer says nothing is wrong with the car.
    15MPG is pathetic.
  • Options
    5,600 miles on my '06 Impala LT 3.5L. Best mileage I have achieved is 24mpg. 22-23mpg, however, is what I average most often regardless of highway/city/mixed driving.

I read an article late last week reporting that the EPA figures posted on new car stickers will be changing starting next year. The EPA will be using a more "realistic" test cycle to come up with their numbers. It will be interesting to see if the Impala keeps its 31mpg highway rating once the revised testing occurs.
  • Options
    15 mpg with the 3.5L is terrible. Even with poor driving habits, I can't see how mileage would be so low. It's time for a second opinion.

As for the mixed mileage being the same as highway mileage, that's also pretty odd. By highway driving, you are driving at a constant speed (55+) with no braking or acceleration, preferrably with cruise control. I have gotten up to 26 mpg with my 5.3L V8 under similar circumstances. My sister has managed 27mpg with her 3.9L (the EPA estimate).

Hilly terrain, heavy traffic that constantly changes speed, etc. will adversely affect your mileage.
  • Options
    I dont get it either. Something has to be wrong somewhere, but no trouble codes come up.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Unless your mom spends a lot of time sitting around idling, I'd say there's something wrong with her Impala. Does this car have a tach on it? Does is sound like the car is really straining, like maybe it's not shifting into the higher gears?
  • Options
    I thought it felt like it was straining above 55MPH but they test drove it and said it was OK. I know something is wrong, the car isn't idling too high though. I am stumped but all the dealer says is to let it break in. It has almost 3000 miles on it, it should be broken in plenty by now.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Is it possible someone is siphoning gas out of the tank? If it's possible, it might be interesting to get a locking gas cap and see if your mileage magically improves. :)