Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I spoke with my dealer's shop foreman yesterday. He is keeping a close eye on the availability of parts for the remote replacement. Looks like the final solution will include replacing both fobs, the receiver, and installing a new antenna. Right now it's the antenna that is still holding everything up. He heard that it should be available in late Jan or early Feb (same as original report). As soon as he hears something he'll call me the same day. I'll post again when I get this call.

This isn't going to be cheap for GM - it covers Impalas, Silerado Pickups, and one other model I can't remember.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Thanks for the update, bh. My dealer was supposed to call me back weeks ago...I'm still waiting. It's good to know there are still good ones out there.

I wonder who's actually going to pay for this...GM or some supplier. Whoever it is, hopefully they'll learn a good lesson in quality control. I also hope the dealers are told to stop blaming the customer for window tinting. :P
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Yes, Many thanks for the update bh0001.
    I too am waiting impatiently......The head Shop foreman at my dealership thinks we won't be seeing this fix from GM until at least mid March. Shute..not very encouraging, actually alittle depressing..... Anyway, please blow the bull-horn or sound the alarm just as soon as you hear !!
    I wonder if we will have to replace the receiver again if we have already done so. Personally, I hope it will just be a matter of replacing the new coax antenna ?? I hate it when they have to rip out the dash... :confuse:
    Thanks again
    Frank
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

I was at the dealership the other day going over the same problem i have been having with the Engine Hot /AC off light appearing almost from day one. (still not solved BTW) I also have the remote and TPM problem as well. Since I work at GM and have access too their files, there was a bullentin issued on the 16th of Jan for a fix on the remote and TPM affecting numerous GM vehicles including the Monte Carlo. The fix will be to replace the coax cable and possibly the transmitters. I too am waiting for the dealership to contact me when their ready to take on this problem with their customers. Good Luck everyone.
  • augiesmomaugiesmom Member Posts: 5
    I also wish to thank you all for updating us concerning the remote issue....
    Now that we have had 2 snowstorms in the last 2 weeks and very cold temps, it would sure be nice to have the remote start actually work!
    I called my service guy at the Chevy dealership last week and he said he hadn't heard anything yet and he had 4 people waiting....
    It can't come to soon for me!
    Thanks again for updating us....
    DC
    Hi Axel 52.....

Many Thanks....Now I'm curious !!
    The bulletin that you saw that was issued on January 16th....What did it say ?? Did it say anything more or anything different than the first bulletin from GM just acknowledging the problem, or..........?????

Let us know if you get a chance
    Frank :confuse:
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    I'm new here, so this transmitter stuff is about the key-fob not working?...Seems to be working on mine.....Am I supoose to be looking for something?...a problem of some sorts?
    The problem is with the range. Some of us have to be right next to our cars to get it to work. Others have slightly better range. Others still, have inconsistent range. Some rarely use the remote start feature which is where most people notice the problem. The average person unlocks the door when they get close to the car but the remote start is supposed to work up to 300 ft away. I'm lucky to get 20 feet with mine, sometimes better if I'm facing the front of the vehicle. It's definitely an annoyance if you use the feature and it's cold (or hot) outside. :mad:
    Someone mentioned in an earlier post about how the headlights automatically come on with the wipers. I'll assume he meant headlights AND tailights since the headlights are always on (unless manually turned off). That's a nifty little feature I didn't know about and wanted to know if anyone else knew of some little known features or quirks of the car.

Here's a couple: if you press the door lock button ONCE as you exit the car, you'll hear three chimes. Now, if you and others are exiting the car, the door lock will delay until about 5 seconds after the last door is closed. Pretty nifty if you don't want to wait for the slow person in your group to open their door before locking or hang around the car to lock it with the FOB (especially with the current range issue). When the lock engages, you will hear a chirp on the horn just like pressing the FOB button twice. A quirk to this feature is that sometimes, especially if you press the passenger door button, there will be a delay of a few seconds before you hear the chime. You'd think it would be pretty straightforward but I'm assuming the computer gets a little confused sometimes. If you want the door to lock immediately, just press the button twice.

Another nifty feature is the turn signal reminder that alerts you if you happen to leave the turn signal on for 3/4 mile.

So...any other features that anyone has found that are little known? After all, these little things do us no good if we don't know they're available.
    Well, again I'm new here, just bought my impala 3 weeks ago, but, when I purchased it the salesman told me that I should always LOCK the doors before trying to start it....does that have any significance to anything here?....my fob seems to work at quite good distance. I guess what I mean to say is..I left the showroom went outside to get the car, I tried to start it with the fob and didn't start.The salesman was with me and said "I always have to make sure that I hit the lock button first before starting it. I did that and then it starting instantly. He said that it was a security measure, that in most cases or possibly all the time the car will not start unless I hit the "lock" button and lock the doors first.Since then it has started every time. Maybe all this is known here already.....sorry for for the reduntancy.
    Yes...that's part of the sequence. To start the car with the FOB, you must press the lock button and then hold the start button for 4 seconds.

As for range, from how far away would you say you can use your remote? For me, 20 - 25ft or 3 or 4 parking spaces away (consistently). Sometimes, I can get it to work from farther away but only on rare occasions. It's very frustrating.
    Hi Colchester47...Ya, just be aware of what might happen
    down the road shortly....Mine started acting up after
    about a month...Not only the key fob range ,but they quit
    altogether so i had to go in twice and get them reprogramed. Well,that only lasted a short while, and i had to get the receiver changed. So out comes the dash in my new
    car...Hurts!!!!! Now the key fobs are working only short range, but now they can't get rid of the " Service Tire Monitoring System " message on the message center screen.

Congratulations on your new Chevy purchase...
    Aside from this, it's a great car

F ;)
    I think that if my key fob ever gets to the point where it doesn't work and the Dash has to be removed, I'll just use my key from that point. I have very little trust in dealership mechanics and for them to remove the dash might cause more problems than just the key fob from working! So far it's working well even at long distances although most of my automatic starts will be from my front house door to the car.(30 feet).....talk later...
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    One of my favourites is the lane change feature (press the signal stalk up or down and release, the signal flashes 3 times).

My remote range is down to zero. Yesterday I couldn't even get the remote start to work from right beside the car. I park right outside my window at work - about 4 feet from window to car. The remote won't do anything from this range. Very maddening given the recent cold weather and snow.

I did learn something interesting about the remote start system yesterday. I started the car (from right beside it) then went inside for a bit. When I came back out I decided to have a quick look under the hood (without putting the key in the ignition). As soon as I popped the hood...the car turned off! And it wouldn't re-start with the remote. I had to start it with the key. Once I had done this, then the remote start system worked again. Interesting security feature!
    look at the positives here....If your key fob doesn't work and someone steals your key fob ...hey...he can't steal your car!! ;)
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Hi colchester47, have you had to purchase any winter tires for your SS?? If so, what brand did you buy/suggest? I am thinking about buying a used 06 SS (black/black leather, bose, 6 disc, sunroof, heated seats, etc) and need winter tires here in MA/CT. Thanks for your reply! -Rob
    Hi robs6wagon
    I'm sure that colchester47 will give you his experience and i appologize for jumping on your question to him but let me give my brief 2 cents here....I have an '06 impala 2LT black/black etc. etc , about 3 months ,old and i have changed/upgraded to SS 18" wheels/tires/struts/front sway bar. I live in Toronto , Ontario Canada and we have had a couple of butes here...the 235/50-18 Goodyears have actully been really ok in the snow. So much so that :) i have decided not to buy snows....
    Frank
    I would take Frank's advice on this one. I will not be buying any other tires than the ones I already have on there. If the weather gets to bad here I just shut everything down for the day/week/month. I baby my cars , especially the ones I really like such as my new Impala. I have a 1994 Silverado with 32,000 miles on it and looks in showroom condition. It has never seen or smelled snow. With out a doubt my new Impala will have 33,000 miles on it in the year 2035...should I not be here my grand children will post here. (I'll be 88 in 2035)...but hopefully I'll be able to blow away a few Dodge Chargers between now and then.................talk soon
    I like your style, "old" man. :) It seems some of the folks on the comparison boards just don't get it when it comes to classic V-8 power. They love their silky smooth V-6s and I concede that they are nice...for V-6s. But, there's just nothing like the sound or feel of our 5.3L small block and while it is "old-tech" in many ways, the technology has come a long way. In my opinion, we have the best of both worlds. :D

Since this is a winter driving question, I'll put my thoughts in as well. I don't get snow here in SC but occasionally get some when I visit family in WV. With decent, modern tires, you probably won't need anything else and even though I'm not a big fan of Goodyear, I think they will likely be fine in the snow. With traction control and ABS to help, as long as you don't over-drive the conditions, you shouldn't have a problem. Oh...and just in case you're thinking southern boy doesn't know what he's talking about, I spent four winters in NH...the worst of which we had snow piled up to 20 feet on the sides of some roads. I've done my share of winter driving and good all-season tires will usually handle the job. ;)
    Thanks colchester and mymitties for the response and advice. I have an hour drive to work each day....the snow and ice can be a hassle sometimes, although I have battled them both for many, many years. Those Goodyears look like they have a decent tread pattern to kick out some of that snow...if we ever get any this year! Thanks again, and Ill let you know if I do decide on buying the car. ps: the trade for the car is my 2006 Civic EX...yes, big difference in vehicles! I did always wanted to go back to an american V8!! -Rob
    Go for the American muscle!!! God forbid should anything happen to you while driving, do you want to leave this world with the roar and rumble of an SS doing 154 mph (thats what car and driver and Motor trend clocked the SS at!!) or the hissing, panting , wheezing of a rice burning Honda!!...Go American!!...Go Muscle!!
    I SWEAR!!!...Sorry if I sound like a chevy commercial, but this SS with the 5.3 is one awesome machine!!..When I start this car, with no BS here this car lurches forward 6 inches from the power it produces!!! I've been driving for 43 years, have had a good deal of Powerful mills sitting under hoods, but never have had the power that this thing kicks out! My Silverado has a 350 with 250 horses and it's a quick machine , but wouldn't touch this new 5.3!. I feel like if this car had hands and I stood in front of it and I started it up, it would reach out, grab me by the throat and slap the tar out me!!..I will not let my wife drive this thing, NO WAY!!! And as far as the FWD with torgue steer goes, hey I cut my eye teeth on RWD's and fish-tailing takes some gettin use to also. Torgue steer or fish-tailing can be compensated for by a little experience!! And if you really like this machine and still want RWD....well, just drive in REVERSE!!! ;) ...take care guys, talk later
    Well, I do prefer RWD and the word is that's what the '09 Impala will be. It will be based on the newest Holden from Australia (what the latest GTO was based on). It will be four door and share most parts with the new Pontiac Grand Prix. I dunno about you but although I love my current SS, I think the next one will be even better. :)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    My plan is to hold off until they introduce the '09 Impala, and then get a sweet deal on an outgoing '08 SS. I suspect the next Impala will scream "LOOK AT ME" to every patrol car around, while the current version can fly by without a second glance!
    Hey colchester47

Yes,you can Preach it brother !!...Well said...!!
    I think we would all agree... we're ALL CHEVY.
    Talk soon. :)
    F
    Not to change the subject. well yes, I guess I am changing the subject...."Top Tier Gasoline"..just read an article or two about how GM, Toyota , Honda and BMW. are recommending TOP TIER GASOLINE"....their saying that most oil companies are not manufacturing gasoline that are compatible to their engines!..That detergent gasoline is what they recommend and that most companies are not making enough detergents in their gasoline to help keep clean the engines that we are driving today. They are saying that about 10 companies, Chevron, Shell, Phillips , Conoco and a few others are complying , but most are falling short of deteregents in their gasoline. How do you feel about this? Comments? I'm not totally computer literate, so therefore I'm not into this copy and paste stuff, but if you type "top tier gasoline" in your browser, several articles will pop up. Interesting that Chrysler or Ford are not into this, just the 4 companies that I mentioned. One article said that Shell V_POWER is very highly recommended because it has 5 cleaning agents in it. Take a look , let me know and others what you think...............interesting...
    Colchester47, man, you sure know how to sell the SS!! Excellent! Hey, I am this close to going down to the dealer and making the trade happen! When I drove it last Sat., I was extremely impressed with its instant power. The leather seats were typical GM: very large and comfortable. (my Honda seats are made for the 5 footers of our society!!). The wind does come in the window seals, but with the cabin so damn quiet and all, well.........who cares! If I may ask you one more question...has your SS been reliable for you?? It seems that after all the researching I have done in various websites (this one being the most informative and my favorite), the car has proven to be a reliable vehicle! It has been too many years since I have driven a V8!! Thanks again for your input! -Rob
    Rob, I have only owned my SS for a month now. I have no complaints about it at all. There are no recalls on this car as of yet. To my knowledge the key-fob, seems to be concern for some owners. In my researching of this car, I found 3 complaints from several different owners/reviewers. they are (1..Limited leg room for tall people in the back seat (2.the high trunk with the spoiler makes backing up a problem for some drivers...(3..the 10-28 epa gas mileage isn't what they claim it to be. Of these the only one that effects me is the 18 mpg around town. I don't find this a problem for me. Especially that some of my gas mileage is used up by me with jack-rabbit starts at traffic lights and stop signs. Also kicking it down on highways doesn't do much for the mileage either. As of now I'm averaging 14.8 mpg, again mostly my fault. i have no popping sounds coming from the dash, no key-fob problems. my SON -in law says the sound system could be better, but he's in a band and wants everything as bassy as he can get ( this might be a problem for you)but for me the sound is excellant, but I listen mostly to easy listening FM stations and sports and news on AM. For me, the music is turning off the radio and listening to the sweet rumble from the dual exhaust!!..I'll turn the radio on , but as soon as I have to stop and accellerate again , off goes the radio so I can hear the rumble from the pipes! As I mentioned before this old man will be 61 next month, been driving for almost 44 years, owned in the neighborhood od 30-35 cars in my life. I've owned 327's, 350's, 283's all small block chevy's and I owned 348 big blocks back in the early 60's. I've owned convertibles,2 doors, hard-tops, 4 doors, 3 doors and once I owned a 1949 chevy with no-doors!! I've had 3 on the trees,4 on the floors ,5 on the floor and 6 on the floor.I know pretty much from the get-go when a car is made with quality , and belive me I love chevy's but back in the 70's when everything went to computers GM didn't know squat about manufacturing a decent car. Let me get to the point now....This car is in my opinion the finest full size car that Chevy has put out in a long time!!! Smooth riding, fast-fun car to drive, bar none!..If gas mileage is a concern for you...this is not the car you want, if a deep bass sound from the radio is what you want, it's no good for you. If squeeling tires,burnt rubber smell from tires, and quizziness in your stomach from riding to fast makes you sick...stay away from this car!!!....Heed this Warning: THIS CHEVY IMPALA HAS A 5.3 LITER 303 HORSEPOWER SMALL BLOCK ENGINE.THIS CAR CAN REACH A SPEED OF 140+MPH AND WILL DO 0-60 IN 5.7 SECONDS! A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL DRIVER MUST OPERATE THIS VEHICLE AT ALL TIMES! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THIS FOUR DOOR SPORT SEDAN THEN GET OUT AND WALK! ;) .....TALK LATER...
    Hi again, colchester47! Hahahaha, you are definitely from the old school of car enthusiasts! I am 41, and I remember driving my first car, a 1968 Plymouth Belvedere...only had 225 slant 6, but, wow, nice first car! Anyways, the only Impala I ever owned was a 1971 four door 350ci LARGE sedan! Hey, it did ride quite nicely, but wasnt exactly the chick car I had envisioned back then!! After owning a 1975 Malibu Classic, with those great captain's chairs, and several other GM cars, I did switch over to the Hondas and Toyotas in the late 80's/90's. My mistake! While they proved to be very dependable, I had always missed the bigger sedan with some serious power! Last year, I only had a budget (?) of about 20K to spend on a car. That's why I went smaller and got a Civic. I had my eyes on that black SS, but at 28k, couldnt do it! So, now that I can get a 12k mile, fully loaded black one for 18.5K, and as long as my wonderful wife gives her blessing (??), I think I am going to take the plunge and start enjoying V8 rumbling again! Thank you so much for your funny and entertaining responses!! I think I have become a GM driver once again!! See you on the open road! -Rob ps: I listen to the same type of radio as yourself. AM sports stations, oldies FM...this SS I am looking at does have the Bose. Does yours? -Rob
    I suspect the next Impala will scream "LOOK AT ME" to every patrol car around, while the current version can fly by without a second glance!

I wish that were true. I thought the same thing when I bought mine but I got a ticket for 84 in a 70 the first day I owned it. I have the best luck, don't I? ;)

As for long term reliability, my '06 SS has 16,000 miles and is a little over a year old. No wear complaints except for increasing road noise. When it comes time to buy new tires, I won't buy Goodyear. They are alright but there are better tires out there.

The more "common" complaints are the key FOB range which I am bothered with. This often comes along with a tire pressure monitoring system error and luckily, I haven't had that problem yet. A fix is promised this month.

The popping in the dash is due to metal clips that rub slightly against the windshield. I believe the word got to the top fairly quickly and the fix was implemented in production. If your car is affected, you'll only hear it when making a hot car cold or a cold car hot. I hear it on occasion, maybe a couple times as the car changes temperature but it isn't worth having my dash removed to fix it. I mistook it for a rock hitting the windshield at first. Once I realized that wasn't happening, it was no biggie.

The only other "common" complaint is screeching windows. My sister's Impala had that problem and I fixed it in about 10 seconds with some silicone lube. The dealerships keep replacing the seals, sometimes several times, but the lube seems to be the fix. :)

It's a great car and gives me every reason to believe it's rock solid.
    Has anyone had this light come on. It's been a ongoing problem with my LTZ. I,ve had 2 thermostats replaced and the BCM replaced and re-programmed recently and the warning light still comes on. Can anyone shine some light on this topic. The dealership still can't seem to solve the problem even with the help of GM. I'm thinking its an isolated case so far. The service advisors brother is the only other person that has this problem thats he's aware. PLEASE HELP........
    Did they repair the brothers car? If so, what was his problem?
    No they did not repair the brothers car as they are using my car as the guinea pig. Once they find out what the problem is they will fix his. BTW there was a bulletin issued on the 16th of January for a fix on the TPM and RKE-Bulletin #06-08-52-002C Models 06-07 Lucerne 06-07 CAD DTS, 06-07 Impala just to name a few. Transmitters to be replaced on most models. Step 5 in the Bullentin says and I quote IMPALA ONLY in bold letters-- the RCDLR antenna MUST be replaced.

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry Inoperative, poor range, Tire Pressure Monitor Message Displayed ( Replace Transmitter and Replace/Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) #06-08-52-002C (01/16/2007) I hope everyone with this problem has it fixed properly and that we can all enjoy our Impalas until the 09 version comes out. :):)
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    2007 Chevrolet Impala

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Info - TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - Canada ONLY #05-06-04-022C - (11/28/2006)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Canada Only)

2007 and Prior Saab Vehicles (Canada Only)

2007 and Prior Saturn Vehicles (Canada Only)

2003-2007 HUMMER H2 (Canada Only)

2006-2007 HUMMER H3 (Canada Only)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add additional sources to the TOP TIER Fuel Retailers list. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In the U.S., refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047G.

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB). Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

(1) Intake valve: 16,093 km (10,000 mi) with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
    (2) Intake valve: 16,093 km (10,000 mi) with Minimum Additive recommended by the CGSB

Top Tier Fuel Availability
    Chevron was the first to offer TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline in Canada. Shell became the first national gasoline retailer to offer TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline across Canada. Petro-Canada began offering TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline nationally as of October 1, 2006.

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards
    The following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards in all octane grades :

• Chevron Canada (markets in British Columbia and western Alberta)

• Shell Canada (nationally)

• Petro-Canada (nationally)

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency and no metallic additives. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent recommendations of Canadian standards and does not contain metallic additives, which can damage vehicle emission control components.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?
    The TOP TIER program began in the U.S. and Canada on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. In the U.S., government regulations require that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In Canada, gasoline standards recommend adherence to U.S. detergency requirements but do not require it. In fact, many brands of gasoline in Canada do not contain any detergent additive. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required or recommended, and no metallic additives are allowed. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the four automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?
    All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency and the intentional addition of metallic additives is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by Canadian standards. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and engine performance, and also provide reduced emissions. Also, the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Who should use TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
    All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" recommended by Canadian standards. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Document ID# 1874166
    2007 Chevrolet Impala
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    Document ID# 1873989
    2007 Chevrolet Impala

Subject: Info - TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only #04-06-04-047G - (11/28/2006)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn) (U.S. Only)

2003-2007 HUMMER H2 (U.S. Only)

2006-2007 HUMMER H3 (U.S. Only)

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X (U.S. Only)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional sources to the Top Tier Fuel Retailers list. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). In Canada, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-022C

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

(1) Intake valve: 10,000 miles with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
    (2) Intake valve: 10,000 miles with Legal Minimum additive

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards
    As of November 15, 2006, all grades of the following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards:

• Chevron

• QuikTrip

• Conoco

• Phillips 66

• Shell

• Entec Stations located in the greater Montgomery, Alabama area.

• MFA Oil Company located throughout Missouri.

• Kwik Trip, Inc. in Minnesota and Wisconsin andKwik Star convenience stores in Iowa.

• The Somerset Refinery, Inc. at Somerset Oil stations in Kentucky.

• Aloha Petroleum

• Tri-Par Oil Company

• Texaco

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?
    The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?
    On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the four automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?
    All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Document ID# 1873989
    2007 Chevrolet Impala
    Thanks for copying & pasting that for me KW5KW...As I mentioned in post #2250, I don't know how to do this copy and paste thing....interesting to say the least...
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I received an e-mail from my dealer service advisor yesterday notifying me that the parts to repair/correct the remote range/tire pressure monitoring problems once and for all. I've made an appointment to bring the car in next week. That will be the fourth time back to the dealer for this problem and hopefully, the last!

Contact your dealer ASAP to arrange for your repair.
    :)
    Does anyone know if you have to have both symptoms to get them to perform this repair? My RKE range is terrible but I have yet to have the TPM problem. Thanks!
    Many thanks for the update zjim...This is indeed good news!! I'm on the phone right now....

Keep us posted if you hear anything else....

Frank :)
  • jeberlejeberle Member Posts: 15
    Has anybody experienced any problem(s) with AM reception? I'm 15 miles outside MIlwaukee and the reception is really poor from any AM station.
    Hey Ron..As frustrating as it is, You are probably thankfull that it's just the one problem (RKE range)for you. Sure hope your dash doesn't have to come out...I hate it !!! Anyway, for your info, GM Canada is saying that it could be either one, or both.. I'm sure that Big Daddy GM USA would be no different. Just curious, what about your family (Sister 3LT & Nephew 2LT),do they have any of these issues as well..?? Finally, I :sick: hope that this so called fix won't be painfull...!!
    Talk to you later ........
    Frank
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You might want to check through Chevrolet Impala Radio.
    Well hi everyone, i just received a phone call from my dealership and the service advisor wanted to know if I had the key fob with or without the remote start so he could order the correct parts. He said, based on my answer (with RS) they would know which transmitters(fobs)to order. So apparently, all I am getting at this point are two new fobs and the all new and improved (?)coax antenna . No new receiver( rip out dash again) for me ...!! I'm not sure if this is because they already replaced the receiver a couple of months ago or that it's just not part of the fix..For curiousity sake, I probably need to find out....
    Sure hope this does it....
    Frank :confuse:
    It's amazing what this Onstar can do....I was sitting here in my car this afternoon,figured I'd try my Onstar to see if everything was working. Sooo, I pushed the blue button and told the operator I was being surrounded by Talibans, at least 12 of them!! So, wouldn't you know it, with in a few minutes my house had 13 BlackHawk choppers flying over and around it....gggeeezzzz, I thought what have I done!!!!..Then I heard this roaring sound (almost as loud as my dual exhaust)above me, to my total surprise, there was at least a dozen F-16's flying in an attack pattern, so low that I was afraid of a mishap with the Blackhawks!!...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!...Then as I Opened my car door ( the Talibans were scared at this point and beginning to scatter) to run in the house 3 military trucks were pulling up in front of my house!! It was the 101st Airborne division!!! They were armed with A-K Assault riflies, grenades, night-vision equipment ( it was getting dark here)and weapons that I wasn't sure what they were!!! I thought to my self as I was running in the house, GM has really out done themselves with this Onstar stuff!!..I can't wait til they play this episode on the radio next week!!!. I need a drink everyone...It's been a busy afternoon!!....p.s...yes they did capture everyone of those Talibans!!.......A happy ending! :) Thank You, Onstar.....
    Frank,
    Thanks for the update. I have asked my sister and nephew but neither say they have noticed a problem. In both cases, they really don't have a lot of distance to deal with so if their's is like mine, they may never notice. I garage my car every night so the mornings aren't the problem. I want mine to work when I come out at lunch time and on the way home. I have black on black and it gets very hot here in SC. As is it right now, by the time I'm within range, I can usually open the door at about the same time the car starts.
    As for tearing out the dash, I'm considering letting them do that anyway. I noticed mine is starting to rattle a little on rough pavement. I will be sure to point out that mine has no scratches or blemishes before they get started...if I decide to go that route. May not have a choice, either way. :confuse:
    I am both looking forward and regretting going back to my dealer for this. Last time they assured me all was well and well...we all know how that ended up. ;)
    Speaking of OnStar...quite a harrowing story colchester...has anyone checked on subscription rates lately? My boss swears she wasn't charged a subscription fee...only for her wireless minutes. Oh...and did you know OnStar was in Volkswagens? She drives a Passat and her controls are mounted where our Homelink remote buttons are. Pretty nifty feature in hers is that there's a green light that starts flashing red when she's running out of minutes. I think I prefer our DIC notifications but hers is pretty cool too. Anyway, any word on OnStar subscription rates/deals, wireless minutes, etc would be great. Also, I know now that GM, VW, and Acura has OnStar. Anyone know of any other makes?
    I paid $14.99 for my 1st year for 100 minutes....had my 1st diagnostic email sent today......does everyone here like Onstar? I've been reading online on other sites that some people look at it like "big brother " looking over your shoulder....that Onstar knows to much about your vehicle, where you are etc.......comments?
    Well, unless things have changed, once your first (complimentary) year of OnStar is up, you then have to pay to remain in/on the system. The going rate used to be $15 or so per month with discounts for paying in advance. That's the fee I was referring to...I may give them a call during my morning commute and verify it. I think my boss is mistaken but didn't want to assume she was wrong without knowing for sure.

As for "Big Brother" watching over me, I feel with my current lifestyle, I have nothing to be concerned about. I do, however, still understand people's concern. In this case, the security offered by the system in the case of an incapacitating accident or having a problem in a remote area in which I can't give directions is a fair trade. I know that my military unit had reservations about taking OnStar equipped cars along for some of our training because we don't always like to advertise where we are.

The vehicle diagnostics is a nice feature but it shouldn't be a substitute for due diligence. I saw a post on the Cadillac CTS forum where an owner didn't change their oil for over two years and blew the engine. Maybe OnStar's diagnostics could've helped them but, then again, they were likely also ignoring the warning on their dash for quite some time.

I like having OnStar and I especially like the idea of my family having it. It's a little pricey in my opinion but definitely a nice feature. :)
    My Onstar contract has a minutes plan. I can purchase minutes only...100, 300,500 or 1000....after the 1st year. @ $39,$115,$175 and $300 respectively. I won't be using mine too much as I'm the only one using my car.So 100 minutes @ $40 for the year won't be too bad....thats $3.25 a month for the year for the 100 minute plan.I also can rollover any unused minutes for the next year.
    of course that's along with the $16.95 for safe and sound plan...so, about $20.00 a month for everything for me.