Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• bufordjohnsonbufordjohnson Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with my keyless remote and startup for my recently purchased 06 Chevy Impala. I have no owners manual for my car so I cannot look up how to reprogram my remotes. I have been trying to reprogram my remotes because of this funny but very irritating thing my remote functions are doing. When I try to use any of the remote functions they will not work for me until I use my key to unlock my door and then my remote functions work. After I lock my door and leave it alone for a couple minutes, my remote doesn't work again, that is until I manually unlock the door with my key. If anyone has experienced this problem, please let me know of a quick fix to this or maybe how I am supposed to reprogram these remotes with the relearn remote function that i have found in my menu. If I can fix this at home it will save me the 100+ dollars and time it will take me to drive to my dealership.
  • chipobrienchipobrien Member Posts: 2
    Had whine Monday AM, all of a sudden. Was on way to dealer anyway, turns out PS hose has a leak. First time I heard the noise.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I copied this from a post in one of the other threads but I have downloaded the '06 Impala Owners Manual from this site. It's very handy, especially while participating in these forums because you don't have to run out to the car to get your reference materials. :)

You can download a PDF document of any and all GM Owner's Manuals for free after registering at https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home

Good stuff and Adobe PDF allows you to search the entire manual for keywords.
    I lock my door and leave it alone for a couple minutes, my remote doesn't work again

Sounds to me like you have issues with security system and your FOBs. Unlocking with the key is disarming the security but it rearms after being left alone...at least that's my guess. I don't think there's anything detailed enough to help in the owners manual but I posted the link to download a copy in the previous post. Isn't your '06 stil under warranty?
  • bufordjohnsonbufordjohnson Member Posts: 3
    Hey, thanks a lot quietpro, for that link. I am new here and maybe it shows at least a little bit. My car is under warranty for the next 3 years or 100,000 miles. I am a little hesitant to bring my car back to the dealer when I just got my car last weekend and I would like to exhaust all possibilities before I end up taking it back to the dealership to get it fixed. The dealership is about a 100 mile round trip from where I live as well.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    My line snapped----the dealer thinks I hit something, but I am pretty sure that is not the case. Did you notice a change in the overall control of the steering with the leak? I did not notice anything until I made a turn into a parking space. At that point I heard a noise that I knew was not good. The other thing about their theory is that there was not any fluid in the area that they are saying the impact would have caused the problem. They think that I hit and immediately lost the fluid. If there was a gradual leak would I have noticed the problem before it "drained" the lines and destroyed the motor?

I noticed it when my engine started whining, and I also had a significant groan when turning. The groan was particularly loud at low speeds (like when parking). I doubt you hit anything. You would only have noticed a gradual leak when the fluid got low enough to cause the groaning noise in the steering (such as in my situation). If you immediately lost all of the fluid the steering would have been VERY stiff.
    You might want to have the dealer check your car because 24 mpg is terrible for highway driving. I always get 28 or more on the highway at 65-70 even when the car was new. You may have something clogged up or misadjusted. I do better than that in my Deville -always get 25-30 on the road depending on a headwind. With a tailwind at 60 I've gotten 32 in the Cadillac. Out here in NM winds definately make a difference in gas mileage. The window problem sounds like a misadjusted window that isn't properly seated in the track. The dealer should take the door panel off and check the window track. I'm sure if it is like the older cars, the window can be adjusted.

Thanks for the response! I commute 30 miles one way to work every day, and my commute has some pretty good hills. That is most likely the culprit behind my lower than expected mileage. Although I find the instant mpg feature on the DIC unreliable, I monitored it the other day and noticed that as soon as I hit the hills the read-out said anywhere from 4-12mpg. Once I "leveled out" it read in the 28mpg range. So I imagine the car is fine, it is just the hilly terrain keeping my car down. Incidentally, I also noticed that starting from a stop showed 6mpg or so and didn't stabilize until 35mph or so.

I am not sure now that the window is my source of noise in the driver's door. I am getting a lot of creaking from the door panel itself. This morning I treated the panel with Armor-All, and then put silicone lubricant spray in the various seams of the door panel. That seems to have quieted the noise significantly. I still get a distinctive CLUNK from the door when hitting sharp bumps in the road, but the creaking seems to be much quieter since I treated the door panel.
    I just got a call from my dealer and the car will not be fixed for a few days. No parts are available because this is apparently very common in the colder areas. Since we were sub zero several days and had all of the snow that was building up this was the perfect condition for the problem.

It seems that after the initial thought that I hit something, someone that did know the situation stepped in to let them know that they were not right and that my description fit the problem. It is a SLOW leak. My problem developed over time and surfaced suddenly when the motor was fried from the lack of fluid.

I believe that Chevrolet has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the cold weather/power steering issue on the Impalas. The dealer should have known this before assuming you hit something. It is good that someone familiar with the issue was able to help you out.

This problem must be getting more widespread in the colder regions of the country if parts are backordered. My Impala was fixed the same day I took it in (of course that was a couple of weeks ago).

Hopefully you will be back on the road soon!
    I noticed when the parking brake is engaged on my '06 Impala LT, I can put the car in reverse and roll/move backwards as if the brake is not engaged. However, if I put the car in a forward gear and try to go forward the brake holds the car and will not allow it to move forward.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Impala? It seems odd to me that would be the standard operation of the parking brake. Anytime I park on an incline now, it is in the back of my mind that the brake may not hold the car in the unlikely event the car were to slip out of park or something.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    I had the dealer adjust the parking brake on my mothers Impala as it did not seem to be holding the car well. I suggest you do the same.
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    I am having the same problem with my 06 3LT, will roll back like there is no brake.
    Along with keyfob issues, transmission 1-2 shift is rough, popping sound from dash, ticking coming from engine compartment, and a random chime that will go off and stay on until i activate the indicators or leave radio off for a while.
  • alan34alan34 Member Posts: 11
    I test drove an 2007 3.5 LT yesterday. My wife and I have a 2004 LS 3.8. I found the power good but the car seemed floatly at speeds above 60 mph. Has anyone else noticed this as my 2004 LS seemed more planted to the road. Also, is the LTZ more of the comparison to the LS of the previous model? Does the 3.9 V6 with AFM work as well as claimed? Thanks!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >car seemed floatly at speeds above 60 mph

Check tire pressures. Often they're set at the "recommended" pressure on the door post. But for my cars I usually run 3 over if not more. That takes away float.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    There are TSBs on the popping and clicking sounds. Tell your dealer to fix them.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I keep 30 lbs of air in my tires when cold. I've driven my 3.5 LT on several long distance trips at 75-80 mph and never noticed any floating. The car drives and handles normally -like any other car. Perhaps the tire pressure makes a difference. If you really want the sensation of floating drive a '56 Chevy about 70-75!
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Hi Imidazol, and everyone, just a little update on my SS. The dealer has been exceptional at trying to get to the bottom of the wheel vibrations. They have ordered one new tire to replace the one tire that is out of round. Also, they are replacing both right side tire pressure sensors, due to the light coming on in the dash even though the pressure in both tires is 32psi.! They are also replacing the antennae that is used for both the key-fobs and the tire pressure monitoring system (this has been talked about quite a bit in this forum and there is a TSB out on it). The one last issue, besides the dash popping noise (removing the dash part closest to the windshield with a plastic putty knife does the trick to get in there and apply some foam tape on those metal clips), is the AM radio reception. There is a bad ground somewhere in the car. When I hear the AM go out, meaning nothing is heard but static, I press the rear defrost button and the station comes back in almost crystal clear....for a little while, then it goes back out again! When I run the CD player, then go back to AM, nothing but static! Unbelievable! A few irritating bugs, but I am going to stick it out for the time being! Thanks for hearing me out and I hope this helps anyone with similar problems. -Rob
  • jeberlejeberle Member Posts: 15
    I had a reception problem with my AM radio - tok it in- the dealer found a TSB regarding a ground not working - fixed it and now everything is fine.

On another note, has anybody experienced problems with their windshield washer blowing fuses? I've taken it in twice and the dealer can't find the problem. He did say they (the dealer) had the same problem on a couple of used 2006's they bought but have yet to find the solution.
    Just wanted to send out a heart-felt hello to Bryan, Frank, Ron and Russ. A big thank you for helping me out in my decision to buy the SS! Although there have been a few bugs (car was built in 8/2005, perhaps one of the early first ones!), I am satisfied with my purchase, thanks to those gentlemen and to all of you who have given your input! -Rob
    You're more than welcome. That's what we're all here for...help and support with our 06+ Impalas! :) You're feedback has helped us as well.
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 19
    I, for one, am happy that you are enjoying your new Impala.

May you have many, many memorable miles in it.

Russ
    Hi everyone, this latest glitch with my SS is a really good one!! I was sitting in my car at work during lunch when, after listening to the radio for about 25 minutes or so, the radio screen goes dark, no sound, then a symbol that looked like a phone receiver appeared. Then, a recorded voice from OnStar came over the speakers telling me I am making a phone call to......"my home phone number"!!! Well, seeing how I have not subscribed to OnStar yet, or dont see myself doing so, I was quite shocked! Anyways, the "phone" starts dialing a number that shows up on the DIC display after a different voice says "dial my home number". I think this voice is that of the previous owner (best guess because it didnt sound artificial). It starts ringing until, fortunately, a Verizon recording tells me that the number cannot be completed as dialed! Then the recording repeats itself over and over again until I thought of a way to stop it. After shutting off the radio, taking the key out of the ignition, opening the door, nothing worked.....until I shouted "hang up!". It did instantly!! Go figure! Unbelievable! I guess that faulty ground is really playing havic on just about everything in the car! I cannot wait until they fix it, whenever the new tire comes in!!! Take care! -Rob
    Rob,
    That is a weird one. Any chance you had your hand on the steering wheel and pressed and held the mute button? That will engage the phone in the OnStar system. Also, new cars come with a one year subscription to OnStar and 30 minutes of phone service. I guess it's possible that the OnStar folks were trying to call you through the car (I think they called my sister) to get things set up or to sell you a new subscription to the service. Just a thought...

Ron
    Hi Ron, well, now that you mention it, I was looking over a few brochures and papers over and on the steering wheel! Perhaps a corner of the brochures pressed against that mute button! I didnt know that button enabled the OnStar to dial out! Wow! Well, as usual, your input has eased my mind!!! Thanks, Ron, for the help!!! -Rob
    Well, hopefully we squashed that gremlin. :) If it happens again, you can hang up the phone by yelling at it again or just press the phone button on the rear view mirror...whichever is more convenient. :D
  • topcop1topcop1 Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie to this forum. I recently bought an '06 Impala LTZ, previously trading a '98 Tahoe with only 49,000 miles on it. My Impale seems to come equipped with an assortment of factory maladies, including snapping dashboard, suspension snaps when wheels are turned full-lock, dead remote start,and faulty air pressure monitors. I bought the car in September,and just turned 4,600 miles. Is there anything else I should be on the look-out for? I miss my 'Hoe already!
    Hey there, new guy. Are you aware of the available fixes for the dashboard and FOB/Remote Start/Air Pressure Monitor? The dashboard fix is pretty easy, robswagon recently had his done and reported it here. Basically, they just put a small piece of anti-itch tape on the screws next to the windshield. The remote start and air pressure monitor is sort of the same problem. The fix is a little ambiguous but, in your case, will usually involve replacing the FOBs, receiver, and antenna. As for the suspension issue, your's is the first I've heard.

Other problems with the Impala are pretty limited. As a matter of fact, the only thing that comes to mind is the crappy Bose stereo (which I have) and defective stitching in the cloth head rests (my sister had). There have been some complaints of engine ticking with the 3.5L, I believe. There have also been a couple complaints about the front suspension (which I'm also not completely happy with).

The only one of those that applies to you is the Bose stereo. Are you happy with it? Do you have the low volume hiss or have you had the amp replaced? I would like to pick your brain if you're up for it.

Later,
    Ron :D
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I'm new here too. I'm experienceing a lot of the same problems with my '06 LT, but right after getting it the heater/ac just quit working on any setting, which was a lot of fun 20 miles away from home on a rainy night with windows fogging up. They had to reprogram it. Now the light indicating whether you are using outside air or recirculating inside air does not come on at times. Service dept said they are ordering a part for it, as well as parts for the fob proglem.

I also have a problem when I have to maintain 35-40 mph because it is around the rpm for gear shift. The car cant' make up it's mind which gear it wants to be in and jumps back and forth. The GM mechanics resolution . . . drive slower or faster.
    I had forgotten about the HVAC issue (A/C light, etc). If your light works but only part of the time, it's likely the programming. There were several versions of the software and I think mine does the same thing yours does. The latest software release that I remember was to stop your A/C from returning to fresh air after stopping and starting the engine (seems most of us like it to remain where we left it). It also addressed an occasional lock-up where you couldn't get the defrost to return to vent without turning it completely off to reset it.

As for the transmission issue, I haven't heard of that on the new cars but you might try running in 3rd when you're having the problem. It's the old-fashioned "fix" for lower technology transmissions. If you're having the problem in rolling-hilly terrain, it is fairly common with other cars as well.

I have an SS myself and aside from the V-8, I wish I had an LT. I much prefer the ride they offer. We have three Impalas in my family, 2LT, 3LT, and my SS. :D
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the tip. I do notice it most going uphill as you described. It definitely has a power drop after changing gears to 3rd. I don't notice it so much between other gears. I also have some bounce/vibration much like when a tire is out of round, that is more pronounced when it is having the transmission struggle. I've asked the service guy to check tire true and balance when I take it back when the parts come in and he agreed. He said they have the Roadforce equipment I've seen mentioned here.
    You've probably also noticed that a few have not have good things to say about Goodyear...me included. I have had that problem before and even though the Goodyears on my current car seem to be true, they are getting very noisy with just a little wear and the wet weather traction is already bad at 17,000. I wouldn't buy Goodyear and only have them now because I can't see replacing a tire this early in it's life. When the time comes, I'll be looking for Michelin or maybe another set of Bridgestones (had good luck with them last time).

Good luck with your tire problem and hope the transmission tip helps you out.
    Ron,
    I have the 3.9 V6, no ticking sound yet. Sounds like maybe the fuel injectors may be the culprit. As for the Bose, I don't have any hissing....yet. I am usually listening to the XM. I like the car, but from reading other postings, I'm not sure I made the right move, buying a car in it's first year model run. So far, I changed the upper and lower grille, with billit pieces, as well as the fog light openings, put on my own chrome exhaust tips (Tack welded on, so they don't fly off at mach speeds), and just found SS stripes in a dark grey color to match my silver paint. GM wants $395.00 for the SS stripe kit!
    Top,
    The '06 Impala is only "sort of" a first year run since the chassis has been around for quite a while. I think they did very well after having my car for 14 mos, I have only had quality issues with an occasional squeak/rattle in the dash. Other than that and possibly the front struts, it has all held up very well.
    I would love to see how your grill looks now or if you have a web site that sells them with pictures, that would be great. I thought about them a while back but couldn't find any info or pics and it has moved to the back burner. The same goes for the SS stripes since I'm unfamiliar with them. It might be something I'm interested in as well.

Good talk! :)

Ron
    Ron,
    Go to E-Bay, search for "2006 Impala" and you'll find all kinds of stuff. Rear deck spoilers, Billit Grilles, stainless steel for the door pillers(pimp stuff to me),window tint kits, even body parts. Never hurts to have a spare set of headlights or tail lights.

What sold me on the Impala is, my department has bought several 06/07 Impalas for patrol duty. I really liked the styling of the car. I read about the many safety features, and when I compared the Impala to the Ford 500 and other makes, the Impala kept coming out on top as far as standard versus optional.. Side curtain air bags were an option on the Ford, and standard on the Impala. Stuff like that sold me on the Impala. Plus I did'nt have to pay extra for metallic paint. The nerve of some car makers. In 2000 I paid $200 for Chryslers Inferno Red Pearl coat on a mini van. The wife absolutely had to have that color, and being that she's half of the "Finance Committie" , I gave in.
    After I wrote that last entry, I went looking. There are a couple sites I found selling the same billet grill and using the same photo. That's better than before, I couldn't find any places with pictures of the '06 with the grill.

I agree with you on features for the money. It's why I went with the Impala over the Charger.

I don't want to pimp mine out but I have liked some of the grills I've seen out there, some others not so much. That's why I want to see some pictures. In the one picture I've found, it looks like the driving light parts cover up part of the light. Does yours?
    My grilles cover the top, bottom,and fog lights. The top factory grill is removed completely. The bottom grill stays and the billit grille mounts over the factory piece. The fog light grilles mount on top of the fog light housing. The fog lights look really "stealthy", you can't see them through the grilles.

I looked at the Charger, but we have about 20 Hemi Chargers working the Interstates,I-95,I-76. Bad blind spot on the front "A" piller. A cop was making a right hand turn in center city and almost struck a pedestrian, because he did'nt see her. Plus the front brake rotors are junk, and at a top speed of 153 MPH, I think I'd want rotors in good condition! To get the most gas mileage, the car makers cut down on the amount of steel they use. For example, remember whan you could get 3 maybe 4 cuts out of a rotor before you threw it away? Now you'd be lucky to get 2 cuts.
    Ron,
    Go back to E-Bay, type in the search block the following item number 280086530692. This auction is for the 4 piece grille. Scroll down, there is a picture of a black Impala with all 4 pieces installed. You might be buying these tonight!!!
    Yeah, that's the one I saw before that several outlets are selling. It looks good but I'm not quite sold. I haven't seen any Impalas with it on the street. I do think I will go with one soon, though. Did you have to permanently remove your top grill or will it go back if you needed to switch back to factory? Is this item the one you bought?

On another subject, does your unit have any V-8 Impalas or do you happen to know their top speed? I don't have the balls to try it after being arrested for "racing on highway" (all by myself) in FL. :) I'm a good boy now.
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    Seems to me that there area lot of minor issues with the 06's
    I am about to buy a new car and I think it will be an Impala. I like the size and headroom. Some LT3 options sound good like the folding rear seats.
    I am torn between 3.5 and 3.9 too, anyone have an good reasons for one over the other?
    New to the site :shades:
    TIA
    Ron,
    I kept the original upper grille, just in case. The lower grille,and the fog light pieces are still in place. We haven't used V-8 Cheveys since the late 70's. We were an exclusive Plymouth Grand Fury agency. We got back to Chevy in the 90's with the "Bathtub" Caprice in 1990, when Plymouth killed the Fury. We had them for a year, then went to Ford's Crown Vic. A buddy of mine in the New Jersey State Police had his slick top (No Dome Lights) Crown Vic up to 134 MPH on the Jersey Turnpike. Ford has some issues with their gas tanks, again. They won't reconize the problem, so Dodge saw an opportunity to get back into the cop car business. Ford may soon be without a cop car, unless they address the problem. As far as racing on the highway, there IS a time and a place, you just have to make the wise decision when to do so,lol.

The 06-07 Impalas we have now have the 3.9 V-6.
    Phaeton,
    Shop around at different dealerships. Why settle for an LT3, when you may be able to move up to an LTZ for the same money? I bought my LTZ because I got a heck of a deal. I bought in September, when the 07's are coming out. The dealer wants to make room for the 07's, so they'll deal on an 06, just to clear the lot, so to speak. My car listed for $27,000 and change. I got them down to $19,000, then added the extra warranty on the tires/rims and 5 year 100,000 miles, that brought the price up to $22,000. The folding rear seats are a nice feature. My son is a hockey player, his hockey sticks are very long, flip down the driver seat, and the sticks pass through the trunk. Plus the seat bottom is very handy for hauling groceries. Have fun shopping, I LOVE BEATING UP SALESMAN FOR A GOOD DEAL.
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    yeah, and the State police here in New jersey are ticked off because there in the 3.9's and guys like me are in 5.3's...and can't touch us @ 154-160 top end speed ...one on one...only with road blocks! ;) ...I Love it!!..BTW...My "06 is doing just fine..no problems.....neighbors are complaining about a dark red UFO whizzing by their house!! Saw a couple ST's on the new jersey parkway last week.....oh, I was tempted!!...but my wife was with me! :mad:
    I've had my "06 for 3 months now...anyway, I have not seen one , not one, other '06 SS on the road..20,000 were made, and thats a low number, but I thought I'd see at least a couple on the road! And i think mine is one of the very few with no moon roof,no XM, no Bose,and cloth interior.....a rare bird......ummm, I mean Impala...
    Your right, not many SS Impala sightings, although I have seen a few SS Monte Carlos on the road. In fact, when I bought my car in September, the dealer only had 3 SS Impala's in stock. Colchester, what part of Jersey? I'm in Philly, but have a summer place in Cape May. Oh how I love Route 55 or the Garden state Parkway late at night, Flat, smooth, 2 lanes. All I need to see is a trooper with a car stop in the northbound lanes, and I'm hammer-down all the way to the end of Rt.55 or exit 0 on the GSP.
    The car handles very well at 80-85, no drifting or swaying.
    Topcop, we have to be careful how much personal chit-chat we do here...Miss Karen will be kickin our hydes up and down the parkway if we ain't careful...I'm from the north part of Jeresy, but made more than my share of trips to Cape May. And if the Good Lord wills it, I'll be drivin my SS down there this summer...ok, lets keep it in line here now, What's the color and options on yours?
    I'm sorry, I just love looking at the numbers* that these 5.3 V-8's put out.......

5.7.....0-60

101.....1/4 mile

154.....Top End

*Motor Trend and Car and Driver............

AWESOME Numbers for a family Sedan!!!
    Bryan,
    Just remember to talk about the car along with the personal stuff and we'll all be OK.
    Top, you didn't stipulate if you had to do any permanent mod on your car to get the top grill out. I guess if I did have to cut it, some neat epoxy would make it look like new if I were to sell it without the billet grill. ;)
    My little interlude on the (extremely secluded) highway was with a retired AF SP, I was active duty at the time, and he obviously had a chip on his shoulder. I think I may have disturbed his nap or solo-love session when I made my 1/4 mile run. The judge sympathized with me but I still paid a pretty penny and you likely never get over being "cuffed and stuffed." I sure haven't.
    Oh, and thanks Bryan for the performance numbers from C&D and MT. One other thing that is forbidden here is talk of performance testing beyond the legal limits. ;)
    Well, there's highways in Arizona with no speed limits and Arizona is part of the USA, right?..And ,so, those numbers are legal limits in at least one sector of this beautiful country...and my Chevy Impala SS will do those numbers!! I don't seem to have any problems at this point accept my mileage is still @ 14.5....mostly my own fault on that problem....
    Hi Bryan! Well, to add my two pennies, my first month of SS ownership is over. My gas mileage is just around 23mpg, but that is strictly because I have driven it like the little old lady from Pasadena!!! Believe it or not, I have only given it the full gas once or twice, and only for a brief moment!! I guess it's mainly because of the bad weather we have been getting lately here in MA. However, once I can get in my very first detailing of this beauty, all bets are off for a tank or two while I show it off on the open road!! :shades: Cheers to you for giving out those awesome numbers! -Rob
    If I remember correctly,all the grilles snap in place. I did have to drill and screw the upper grille in place, but it was no big deal. Another thing, If you install a K&N filter, be advised, the stock air box won't close properly, and the K&N is thinner than the stock filter, go figure. And, the clamps used to hold the air box closed, are weak as can be. I bent one, but was able to get it straight enough to close. I still have't been able to completely seal the air box, what with all the cold weather and snow and ice storms.
    Rob,
    Let me throw my tow cents in here. Don't baby it, drive it like you stole it. GM engines seem to break in better with a little rough handling. You'll enjoy the car much better,although your wallet my not enjoy it. If you take the car on a road trip, vary the speeds for several miles, between lets say 55-80 MPH. I have done this on several cars and SUV's from GM,and never had a mechanical problem with any of them, except for normal wear and tear.