Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    My dealer doesn't give me a replacement. I mentioned it once when they said they weren't sure they could get everything done in one day and the service guy chuckled. You'd think they'd be nicer to their top salesman's mom. At least I get shuttle service to and from work.
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hey charts2
    Wow......Big, big memories..!!!!!
    Yep, sure do...Gorries and Golden Mile were just up the street from me ,. As a matter of fact Golden Mile Chev is still there. I had one of the very few '69 chevelle 427 cid (425hp) big blocks from Belmont Chev Olds. I'm still a chevy guy and just love my '06 Impala
    Frank ;)
    Hey topcop1

For your info,just the remote fix (2 fobs, receiver, antenna cable and all reprogramming )should take no more than 1 1/2 hours once it's in the shop.And ,provided they have done it before..

Frank ;)
  • wesleygwesleyg Member Posts: 164
    I have one very minor annoyance with my SS and am wondering if anyone has an issue. When I use the drivers seat heater, it takes about 4 minutes before I feel the heat beginning, and about another 5 minutes before its really warm. (this is on the high setting.) My previous car, '02 Z-28 and wifes car, '06 Equinox, start to heat right away.

Since I live in a cold area, northern Ohio, I use the heater about everyday. Perhaps a computer adjustment at the dealer? You all got me thinking constantly about the 427's, 409's etc. Stop please.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I have the same gripe. My '02 Monte Carlo was pretty quick too. I think it's just a poor design. I know they get hot because if I leave it on for an extended trip, I actually get hives or welts from the heat that I never got with my Monte. Makes my back itch like crazy for about 30 minutes after the trip. So, my verdict is too slow to heat up but too hot for extended use.

Something they probably COULD fix would be to turn on the heated seats during remote starting. Makes perfect sense to me since the climate controls are turned on based on outside temperature. If the heater is on, why not engage the seat heaters too? ;)
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    HI Guys..

i am back to vent some more.I have a 06 Impala with numerous paint chips but I do alot of highway driving. But anyway, I had the remote problems and the TPM problems as well and had the fix done about a month ago.The range is better but still not the greatest. I did not however have the receiver replaced. Not sure if that was part of the fix. As far as the TPM, i had the message come on the other day and there was not a reading coming from the right rear tire. Took it to the dealership today to have it repaired . Got the car back and everything was fine until I got out of work tonite and not in the car more than 10 minutes when the TPM message came on again and this time it was the front left tire. WAS the fix for the remotes and antenna also include the problem with the Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System? I mean there is a problem with not getting a reading from a certain tire when this message comes on. Blame it on the cold Canadian winter maybe.
  • susanm5susanm5 Member Posts: 21
    I have an o7 Red Supersport and 70 chips off of the hood. I am fighting with chevy now. Only 9300. miles on car that I bought 12/22/06
    Hey axel 52..
    Remember, You are allowed to vent here until " The cows come home ", as they say . That's what we are all here for...to help one another through things..!! :blush: Now, do your self a big, big FAVOUR (Canadian spelling here Ron!). Be quite firm and ask or nicely demand that the total fix be done here...FYI, It's the 2 new fobs (transmitters) with stars on back cover, replacement receiver in dash (ouch!!) and the antenna cable in the top of the dash, along with the reprograming. Axle,...THIS IS THE FIX !!!! You will just keep on going back, and back ,and back !! My experience is that they will just try to take you though the fix one part at a time hoping that it will go away before having to do all replacements .....Sometimes it will work for a short time, but you will be back. It usually doesn't work. Again, everything is working great for me now , and yes the Check tire pressure monitoring system message is part of it and is finally gone now entirely.

Hope this helps.....keep us up to date..
    Frank ;)
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    We'll take your word for it, Frank......Susan , see my post under the jersey Forum..........anyway, so far , so good...my car is getting dirty ...needs a wash.....today!........talk later...bryan
    Thanks, what you say makes sense, I'll just live with it, dont want to tear the seat up etc if it still works. I was also surprised the seat didn't heat up on remote start in the cold, that had to be a GM oversight.
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Hi Bryan, Frank, Ron, Russ, and everyone else! Well, sadly, after 5 weeks of ownership, with more than 5 visits to the dealership, as well as visiting my local family garage several times for many, many problems that my SS was "exhibiting", I threw in the towel!! I traded the car in today for a cheaper alternative....very much cheaper in every way!!! LOL Yes, my friends, I am now the proud owner of a 2002 Saturn SC1. I had a 94 SL1 a few years ago, and put on 246,000 miles before that darn red oil light came on! Anyways, after leaving the dealer this past Thursday, I thought all my problems with the SS were solved. No chance! It went in for the following: one new tire to solve the vibrations at 60mph problem, new key remotes, new antenna and two new TPMS sensors to solve the TPMS light coming on and staying on even though the tires all had 32psi or more. The light is still on! A new gas cap didnt solve the "tighten gas cap" message from reappearing on the DIC....last Monday, the engine light came on two days after that same gas cap message appeared! No luck at all! The coolant situation, with all the sludge buildup, was not resolved. Dealer claimed that the coolant was ok to use, so no flushing was required. Unbelievable! The AM radio reception problem was the only issue resolved. The dealer installed new software to correct the problem. Yes, the radio sounded much better in AM, FM and CD use! But, I am truly sorry to say that I gave up, and so darn quickly. My wife and I are currently saving every penny we can to get ourselves into our first new home and with my daily commute (100 miles), I just couldnt make myself feel comfortable that the car would be reliable, or cost effective. My SS was one of the first ones made, so it is not shocking that this car is full of bugs, some minor, some potentially major!! In any event, I just want to say thank you so much, all of you, for helping me out in my quest for the SS! I truly appreciate all of your efforts, suggestions, comments, and expertise! Although it didnt work this time, perhaps a simpler Impala, such as a nice looking LT, will eventually be in my driveway...in a couple of years or so! I will pop in here now and again to say hello. Once again, thanks to all of you. I really learned so much from each and every one of you! :) -Rob
    Rob,
    Your decision to put home ownership ahead of automobile ownership is in my opinion both honorable and admirable. Some times cars just don't work out and you have to cut your losses and start over. I've been there, done that, before also. The Saturns are good cars and I wish you the best with it...and hey, at least your still in the GM family..........good luck, Rob.....well done!!
    Rob,
    Sorry to see you go and I hope you won't feel like you can't come and let us know how things are going from time to time. Passionate owners, regardless of what they own, are always fun to talk to and swap stories.
    I'm really sorry your SS didn't work out for you. The worst part is that the dealership wasn't up front with you with it's problems. Selling a problematic car may have made them a few bucks but may have lost them a future customer.
    Save up, by yourself a nice house (beware the adjustable rate mortgage), and come back in '09 with a RWD Impala SS. ;)

Take care and good luck!
    Ron
  • garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    My '07 Impala SS heated seats heat up fast! Much faster than our '07 Lexus ES350 and '07 Grand Cherokee. Within 10 minutes on a very cold day, have to shut them off! Talk about toasted buns! There may ned to be some kind of adjustment. Be sure the seats are on the "double light" indicator.
    Well, for nostalgia sake, took off my local dealer sticker name plate off the rear trunk lid and put on the small Nickey dealer sticker just below the SS insignia. Will see who / how many comments I get (if any). I ordered the standard one but it is way too big (1" X 8"). They also shipped n/c the smaller one and that's the one that is just the right size.
  • gocasskingsgocasskings Member Posts: 30
    Isn't this part of the actual warranty? I have never purchased anything other than GM and once they moved to 3 years/ 36,000 mile warranties every dealer has provided a loaner (rental) if they had the car more than a day.

I am still angry with GM over the power steering issue a few weeks back---I still think the danger it could cause should force them to let customers know the potential problem.

However, I did not want for a car. I had a trip planned over President's Day and was handed the keys to an '07 Impala because there were no rental companies open. (This was just because I deal with a great business.) I had it from Saturday until Tuesday afternoon when they realized that the parts weren't available and they put me in a Cobalt that was about to fall apart from Enterprise. Being the quiet female that I am, the next morning I called the Enterprise manager and asked how often HE drove his cars. He immediately told me to bring the car back-- agreed the tires were dangerous-- and put me in the only GM car (actually ONLY car) they had left on the lot. It was an Aveo, and I agree, it made me appreciate what I own-- problems and all. Brought back memories of my first car though. That little Chevette wasn't much on the interstate either.

The service manager told me that the procedure normally would have put me in a larger car (always has before, too) but they just weren't available with all of the bad weather we had experienced. In fact, when I called Chevrolet they kept asking if the dealer had taken care of transportation for me and what they could do to make the dealership work with me. It took forever to get the lady to acknowledge that she understood the dealership wasn't the issue................

Anyway, I would check on the warranty policy. It has always been my impression that they weren't just providing a car here because they were good guys. Like I said, all three dealers that I have purchased from have followed the policy of providing one if the job was more than a day.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I'm a baby boomer and owned a '66 Nova SS (L-79 engine, 4-speed, etc.) only for the summer of '65 (sky-high insurance forced me to sell it that autumn). However, I'm now a geezer and still love fast cars (own a '00 Regal GSE), but my bad back is forcing me to buy another Buick instead of a Chevy (Impala SS). It's almost certain I'll be buying a new LaCrosse Super (LS4) when it finally hits the showroom floor. Anyway, I was wondering what grade of gas the Impala SS uses: 87 octane regular or 93 octane premium? Thanks.
    Hi Rob..
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo....!!!!
    I'm so, so , sorry that things didn't work out for you, my friend. :sick:
    Well, as difficult as it was, you have used great wisdom here.!! I don't mean to sound like a parent here, but I just wanted to encourage you!! :blush:
    Rob, I'm not too sure if you are feeling a little embarrassed and disappointed by all this at this point, but , you know , you don't have to be . Some of your recent friends here, including me, have been through similar difficult situations.. Please know that we are still here for you. Rob, so buy your house with confidence and build your family. This is special and more important and rewarding. Ya, our special performance cars will always be here and you will have your fair share, I'm sure. The SS Impala is a great machine, and so, it was just one of those things that you were faced with that adds character and maturity.I bet your wife is proud of you !! Just think, by the 2009 model year, you will be an established home owner and you'll probably beat us all( Bryan, Ron, me too, etc.)to the new RWD SS 375 hp Impala. Thanks Rob for openly sharing all that you did with us over the last litte while, and don't be a stranger here..

Drive safe Rob...
    Talk to you soon !!
    Frank ;)
    Morning everyone...Stax, I have and SS an I use nothing but premium, the books calls for it, but , even if it didn't I'd use premium....I'd use premium in any V-8....
    Sounds very good regarding the LaCrosse (LS4), have to see that myself. I use only 93 octane in my SS, here in Ohio we have 87, 91 and 93 at most every pump. I'm semi-retired and bought the SS for enjoyment, I figure if I have to use 91 or 87,shouldn't have bought it. I tried 91 for one tank, I honestly felt the difference.
    Hey All.. Here's Some questions for 'Ya ...

Has anyone heard or read lately if the new '08 - '09(?)
    SS Impala will have a 6 speed standard (stick) as an available option besides the automatic..?? Or, what do ya think the GM guys might do here...? :surprise:
    How about with your current ride... Do you just leave it in drive for most/all occaisions and let the automatic shift itself, or, do you like to take control of it by shifting your automatic manually up to say.. red-line. You know, what I mean... When you are at the lights and you look over and you see one of those Chrysler products :P or something...!!
    What's popular out there...??

Many thanks
    Later....
    Frank ;)
    I use premium at whatever gas station I stop at and it can vary from 91 - 93 octane. I usually leave it in drive and in impromptu stoplight races, I just accelerate for the first one - two seconds (as if an egg was underneath the accelerator)and then let it go. Seems to tame the traction control from making the SS pull side to side. I contemplated a leftover 2006 Lacrosse but after driving the SS, no going back.
    jpstax,
    I have run 87 and 93 in my SS. The manual states either is acceptable (premium recommended) and I have proven that true (no knock or ping with 87). But, the performance difference is definitely there. I didn't notice it going down to 87 so I continued to run it for a few months to build a fuel mileage baseline. I switched back to premium after my last long trip and WHOA!, what a difference. Most notably, wheel spin was there with 87 but with 93, I can roast 'em.
    As for fuel mileage, I have noticed no real difference. What small amount there might be is probably lose through more enthusiastic driving.
    Regarding tranny use, I leave mine in drive although now that it's broken in and the weather is getting warmer, I may start playing around a bit. I do love that deceleration "cackle" that a V-8 produces. I will definitely report back on that.

Until next time...
    Ron
    You know theres still a few 06's available on the lots here in Jersey.?... and theres someone in Penn selling a completely loaded Black one with 800 miles on it for $22,800....
    Hi there garsarno...( is this italian, or..??)

Well, more frequently then I probably care to admit, my love for performance cars and the memories of them continually takes me back to fun days on the street & strip. Loved taking it to REDLINE ! 'Ya, aways driving safely of course...!!!
    Even these days (sometimes), for an example, Say from a stop Light, I still find an appeciable difference in my machine when I put my automatic down into 1, brake torque it slightly holding it at about 1200-1500 rpm ,then punching it . Yep..Get off the line as quickly as you can without toooo much wheel spin and it's away you go shifing your tranny manually at about 5,700-6000 rpm's in 1 and 2 and then letting it wind all the way out in 3( if you have a clear stretch... forget OD.
    You know that saying... " Try it...YOU"LL LIKE IT..." !!!

Let us know if you do..
    Later.....
    Frank ;)
    Frank - I have put your recommends into my memory banks for use this week! Italian wife / Polish heritage.

I was thinking about a leftover 2006 but the warranty difference is there versus 2007 Impala SS (36,000 miles versus 100,000 miles).
    Hi garsarno..

Great..... 'Ya give it a try!!

Well...this is a Canadian Italian here !!!...

You know, there are a lot of variables here and the decision is probably a very personal financial one, maybe more than a practical model year one....!! Obviously, You will get a much, much better deal on the '06 (left over) over the new '07, but, the warrantee coverage won't be as good you as noted. But maybe, just maybe, most of those annoying bugs that we are all experiencing are not present in a recently made '07. This would be a big factor in my decision if i had to make it...!! Personally, i would probably go for the '07. Hey, I'm sure that all your friends here will give you their input as well to help you make a good decision.
    Keep us posted won't you....
    later.....
    Frank ;)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    In about 3 months production of the 2008 Impalas will start. The 2008 Impalas should have all the bugs worked out.
    Has anyone notice the rubber/plastic stripping on the door cracking? Stripping on the passenger door is cracking almost all the way across the top and one other door shows some beginning. It is not soft rubber like the older cars but a harder material almost like plastic. I noticed it when I was checking to see if all the doors had red on the stripping from the paint coming off the car body.
    Ok, well, so far...Gas Mileage...14.4....no key-fob problem...yet...no paint chips yet (1 itsy-bitsy thing on front bumper, that would be a stone)..no squeaks, back window sounds like it could use a little lube, but no biggie there....radio sounds perfect to me, son-in law says it's a piece of junk....it's hardly ever in 4 cyl mode...highest speed so far ...103 mph on rte 80...use premium gas at all times...wifes says her new Accord is better than my Impala...she may be right......3 year old grand-daughter says grandpas car is silly.....Onstar light goes green-red-green -red-green red....it works fine, I won't let mechanics touch it (they will break it)....and thats it for now.........talk later............bryan
    Glad you're having no problems. I have LT not SS. Worst gas mileage I've gotten so far was 22 in mixed driving. Can't complain about that.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    On the question of 2006 versus 2007...GM increased the warranty on 2007s to 5 years/100,000 miles...but they also increased the powertrain warranty on GM Cerfitied USED cars to the same level for 2002-2006 models. If they'd provide that warranty on a 2002 (based on the original date the vehicle was put into service), shouldn't there be some way to get that same coverage on a NEW 2006?
    shouldn't there be some way to get that same coverage on a NEW 2006?

Sure...for a price. ;)
    Well, if you can get real good deal on an ('06 Brand new leftover) save 3-4-5 grand, and an extended warranty costs $1200-1500 your ahead of the game. I think right now you could get a real good deal on a leftover, no miles, save some big bucks, spend 1200 on an extended warranty, your in good shape. Unless your a total 'newness" freak....remember a car 1-2 years old with no miles on it , is still a new car!...virgin material...the dealers want to move those puppies off the lot...and remember to always buy at the end of the month.....like cops with their ticket quotas, salesmen will do anything at the end of the month!
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    With my experience even with an extended warranty GM dealerships won't fix something until it completely breaks.
    You explain the problem and they do a diagnostic fault check and can't find the problem.
    If you pay out of pocket they will gladly fix the problem but with warranty work they basically say "get lost".
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    The 5 year warranty on the 2007 chevrolets is a powertrain warranty only. The basic coverage warranty is still 3 years/36,000 miles on all other components.

When GM put this new 5 year powertrain warranty into affect several months ago they also increased the retail prices of their vehicles. You get what you pay for.
    When GM put this new 5 year powertrain warranty into affect several months ago they also increased the retail prices of their vehicles. You get what you pay for.

Yep...no such thing as a free lunch. Everything gets paid for SOMEWHERE down the line. ;)
  • axle52axle52 Member Posts: 36
    Hi Frank

Had the car in Friday morning with the TPMS light on. They supposedly fixed the problem. The left rear tire was not registering the PSI. All they did was relearn the tire pressure. I picked the car up before work that Friday and the light was out. After getting out of work Friday nite and driving for maybe 10 minutes the light came on again. This time it was the right front tire not registering. I took it back in on Monday and they replaced a sensor. This was after I had the Fix done for the remotes a month earlier. I told them that some Impala owners had the receiver replaced but they said they would only replace the receiver if none of the tires were registering PSI. IS this true or just another excuse. It is now Wednesday and so far no TPMS light on. Hope all it was is a sensor this time. Time will tell.
    Hi there axle...

Well, you asked for My personal opinion here....Yep, you can bet your sweet bippy on this one.... It's just another excuse and it's so typical...!!! :cry:
    But let me refer you back to my post to you (# 2734)just to refresh your memory on what they will do, and what you will go through with them.... :sick:
    'Ya, we'll pray that your TPMS message will stay off.
    Time will tell...Let us know how you are doing..!!

Later.....
    Frank ;)
  • topcop1topcop1 Member Posts: 28
    Quotas? What Quotas?
    you took the words right out of my mouth!
    Don't you just love it. In looking over the paperwork from my last visit to service, they couldn't duplicate the rattle in the front of my car (until I showed them that the hood was so loose it was bouncing up and down when I hit bumps); :mad: they couldn't duplicate the problem with my clock gaining time and it was normal because it matched their car and cell phone clocks (yet they told me they reset it to the proper time); :mad: could not duplicate my car thinking it was dark enough for headlights in the bright sun so it dims my dash lights so much I almost can't read the clock so says they are working properly... There's more, but I won't bore you with it but believe me, they'll hear it again next time I go in. Glad I can vent. Thanks for listening, ya'll (showing my southern roots ;) ).
    Not sure what forum this goes to, but....I read the posts here and at other forums and something just amazes me....maybe I'm an old fart here, but when I was a young kid/man we use to take our old cars and "hot rod" them..."soup them up".."chop and channel"..."lower and rake" them...etc..but, darn those cars were 8,10, 12 years old!!..I see here in the chevy forums and over there in the Honda forums that....(now, were talking brand new cars)guys rip there door panels off...rip the radios out, wanna add a super-charger to an already 300+ horsepower engine..I mean were talking high tech equipment here today...radios that do everything in the car, short of making you a cup of coffee!!!..And then , these owners will say, ok..now what do I do?...I mean you take $25-35K car rip it apart and then say.."now what"?...I guess I'm just getting old, but to take a brand new car, rip and tear it apart?...and not know what your doing? I can see taking Manufacturers accessories, adding them, but to tear a car apart, especially the electronics as sensitive as they are?....Question....I may be tone deaf, not sure....but are they radios in all these cars today that bad where you have to tear the door panels off to change the speakers?..I use to get ticked off because I had to change the tubes in the old tube-type radios we had back then!!...anyway, it just amazes me how anyone can take a new car, and start tearing it apart!!!....go ahead , jump all over me.....I'm just an old man..... :sick:
    Hey old man, I'm with you. Never hot rodded a car but you're right. The thing used to be to get old almost junk cars and bring them back to life by souping them up. I sure wouldn't have the money to take a chance on ruining my brand new car if I knew what I was doing. I have to admit that my radio doesn't have much volume. I have to turn it up to 25 or so just to hear it well over the wind and tire noise, but I'm not about to tear out dash and doors to change it or let anyone else do it.
    Bryan,
    I hear ya. I'm with you on everything but the occasional radio. My girlfriend was just looking at minivans and the difference between to Dodges was night and day to me...but she couldn't tell the difference. To each his own, I suppose but if you ask me, the "kids" today that are doing all the mods have too much money and too little sense. It also tends to be that they take their cars to a shop to have the mods done whereas the old school folks did them themselves. ...but, that's just my opinion. ;)

Ron
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I have a 2006 LT2 that has required no warranty service in 11,750 miles except for the screeching window (which I finally fixed with Armorall after two replacements of the rubber strip). The car cost $22,800 in March and is worth about $13,000 on a trade in now. You can buy a 2006 "Program Car" at a dealer for about $16,000. For $6,000 you could buy a lot of powertrain repairs. GM isn't giving anything away. Virtually all new cars with periodic oil changes and normal maintenance will run for 100,000 miles with a minimum of repairs. Your choice depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If you trade every 3 years or so ,a program 2006 with low mileage (8-10k) is a far better deal. You won't save that much on a left over 2006 over a new 2007 -probably no more than a couple of thousand dollars. Besides that you can order a new 2007 and get exactly what you want. The depreciation on a new Chevy (and most any other domestic car) is terrible so these are not cars to buy and trade in less than 4 or 5 years unless you want to be "upside down".
    I've experienced this attitude with Buicks and Chevrolets but the whole warranty experience is different with Cadillacs. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a certified used CTS over my new Impala. I may do it next time but I'm waiting for the Camaro convertible.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >this attitude with Buicks and Chevrolets but the whole warranty experience is different with Cadillacs.

That may vary with the dealer. I've had great experiences with the Buick dealer. I was told Chevrolet _was_ less eager to pick up cost items that were questionable.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

This is why I made absolutely sure that I purchased a model without the tire sensor. I drove for 45 years without this "feature". Any idiot can use a tire gauge if something looks low. On future cars if there is a way to defeat this silly thing I'll try and figure out how.
    You are right -it all depends on the dealer. I finally dumped a 2000 Buick LeSabre with 12,000 miles because the dealer wouldn't replace a strut bushing that creaked every time the car turned a corner. Everybody heard it in many trips to the dealer but nobody (including the zone guy) did anything about it. I just got tired of fiddling with the problem and yes, I should have driven 80 miles to another Buick dealer or invoked the lemon law.