Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• rhonda20rhonda20 Member Posts: 7
    I hate my 2006 ss impala! I've had nothing but on going never ending problems! I traded a 99 grand am never had a problem with except alternator.Figured it was getting older didnt want the problems,so I traded it for a 2006 impala and got nothing but problems! First my water pump went out then my left tie rod needed replaced third power steering hose leaked needed replaced then battery needed replaced now I'm back to leaking hose in power steering and tie rod on right side needs replaced not to mention spring in passenger set broke,sunvisor won't stay up and rear defrost doesn't work.I HATE MY CAR!!!!!!!
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Many of the problems you mentioned have been common on this car but most have had them fixed under warranty. I'm sorry to hear about your problems, nevertheless. If you have still have warranty coverage, those repairs should be reimburseable.
    To those with heat problems, my sister had an issue with her heater and it turned out to be a bubble in the system not allowing coolant to the heater core. They flushed it (under warranty) and all was well. Mine was acting up and I checked the coolant level and it turned out to be about 2 quarts low.

Make sure you coolant levels are adequate and try leaving the heat on its hottest setting (fan speed shouldn't matter). If there are any bubbles that can be flushed easily, this should do it. If the problem persists, you will need to flush it. It can be done by the owner if you're up to it but otherwise a coolant flush will suffice at your local mechanic's shop.

As for water pumps, it's a shame that I'm seeing so many issues with them. My nephew's Impala had that problem and it cost over $300 to repair. So far, the other 3 Impalas in our family haven't had water pump issues.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    2006. Isn't it under the 3 year warranty?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

No when I bought it the dealer was driving it as a demo so it already had over 6000 miles. I now have 39,000 on it .Put even if it was still under warranty no one buys a 2006 32,000 dollar car to have all these headaches. I don't know maybe its just me but I've never had so many problems with any of my cars I've owned.I know theres gonna be problems thats expected ,but not all that in two years.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I have an '06 Impala SS and apart from the power steering hose (mail notification, never an actual leak) and a bad battery, both covered fully under warranty, I have had no problems whatsoever with the car.

It is one of the best and most trouble-free cars I have ever owned. Super power, fabulous Bose audio, great engine burble at idle, excellent high-speed highway cruiser, the car is a sheer delight.

Sorry for your problems. Maybe you got a lemon . . . .
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Add me to the list of people quickly losing confidence in my '06 Impala. I have a 2LT with 33,600 miles. It seems as these cars "age", they quickly start to become less reliable.

Mine had the cold weather power steering high pressure hose issue. At 7,500 miles the hose burst on a 10-degree morning requiring an unscheduled trip to the dealer. Sure it was fixed under warranty, but it should not have happened in the first place.

The driver's seat creaked constantly. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it. I fixed it myself eventually...all that needed to be done was to loosen the seat rail bolts and re-tighten them. Creak eliminated.

Brake rotors were warped when the car only had 12,000 miles on it. Common Impala annoyance that I didn't get fixed until 32,000 miles. Dealer would not resurface them under warranty even though GM has a TSB (that I have a copy of) stating that brake rotors are covered under the 3/36 warranty. That was disappointing.

Exterior, glossy black pillar covers are delaminating. Again, a common problem that would be fixed under warranty if I want to have it done.

Front passenger seat back pops and creaks when people sit in it. Again, another problem that GM has issued a TSB for. Luckily, I don't regularly carry passengers so it is an infrequent annoyance. Nevertheless, it simply shouldn't be an issue.

Something is rolling around in the driver's door. Every now and then, when stopping or accelerating, you will hear something roll forward toward the front of the car or roll backwards toward the rear of the car. Nice.

The felt tape that GM puts on the underside of the front door panel pulls keeps creeping out from under them. I continually trim it away, but more keeps coming out. It even comes out of the passenger door, despite that door being used only once or twice a week. For example:

Dash creaks and rattles

Doors creak and rattle

Windows rattle, even when all the way up

When driving in the rain through a standard puddle on the road, there will be a sudden, loud vibration/noise. Sounds almost identical to a motor boat pulling away from a dock. Slight power loss during these episodes as well. The vibration and noise will go away 20-30 seconds after it starts. Almost sounds like water going into the exhaust system. I have read of this happening to other Impala owners as well, with dealers having no clue what it is or how to fix it.

Taillight bulb burned out at 29,000 miles. Easily replaced myself for $2 and 10 minutes of my time. None of the 10 vehicles I have previously owned ever needed a taillight bulb replaced the entire time I owned them. Possibly a fluke, but still a minor annoyance.

Water pump failed at 33,000 miles. Another unscheduled trip to the dealer and another day out of service. Fixed under warranty.

Original tires worn out at 26,000 miles. Again, previous vehicles owned went much longer on OEM tires. I would expect original tires to go 40,000 miles or so before needing to be replaced. Granted, the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires were terrible so perhaps it was for the better that they wore out early.

All-in-all, this vehicle has required the most maintenance and tweaking of any vehicle I have ever owned. After the recent water pump failure, my confidence in the vehicle was basically shattered. It will take several weeks before I am confident again that the car is somewhat reliable, but I will always have that "what next" thought in the back of my mind. I seriously doubt that I will keep the vehicle much past the 36,000 mile mark when it is out of warranty.

GM wonders why they aren't selling as many cars as they would like. I have owned more GM vehicles than any other brand, but this is by far the worst in terms of build quality and reliability. For the first time in over a decade I am looking to the Import brands for a new car.

The Impala will have 40,000 miles on it by the time Spring rolls around, at which point it will most likely get traded in for something else.
    Most everyone on here has had the same problems,water pump,power steering hoses,tie rods,and my front passenger sit has the same popping sound we figured it was a broken spring.My stereo goes out all the time nothing but static.I contacted an attorney they said that I had a lemon law case.My car is sitting at Bob McDormans right now and has been there seen Thursday getting the power steering hose fixed once again and wont be getting it back until Tuseday.So far in all the work thats needed repaired on my car they've had my car on and off a total of 17 days in the past 2 years.Its crazy a 32,000 dollar car you expect no problems for years,but thats all you get with these cars are problems after problems.
    Maybe you got lucky and got one they took their time building.I really don't know because everyone on here has the same problems after problems.Tie rods,power steering,water pumps so on so on.I have contacted an attorney and he is now working on my case because he said my car is a lemon.
  • levellevel Member Posts: 34
    Had same problem with my 2007 Impala. Service made repair. Said it was due to low pressure/air in coolant system hoses. In basic terms he said they had to remove air from hose system and fill with coolant. He expressed that I could not correct by simply filling the reservoir. Problem has not returned.
    It is simply unacceptable that the dealer cannot get your car back to you for so long. Assuming the service department is open Mon-Saturday, that means they will have had Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Monday to make a simple fix. When the power steering hose blew on my Impala, I took it in at 7:30AM and had it back the same day at 5:00PM. The dealer called me at 2:00PM to tell me it was done. The dealer I go to is also a large dealer (Cadillac, Chevy, Subaru, and Honda), so they service dozens of cars a day and were able to get it done the same day.

Ohio must have a lenient Lemon Law. Here in PA, it is basically during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles that you can put in a lemon claim. The car must have been out of service for 30 days during that period, or the same problem in for repair 3 or more times. After that in PA, you are on your own. I wouldn't have a lemon claim anyway. My car is always having issues with different stuff, and creaks, squeaks, and rattles are not considered problems that change the value, safety, or use of the vehicle. They are just "non-lemonable" annoyances.

I noticed that Consumer Reports recently added the '06 Impala to the "used cars to avoid list" and I see why. I usually take anything Consumer Reports says with a grain of salt, but in this case they are correct.

The popping seat can be fixed by the dealer if you are still under warranty. Chevy has issued a service bulletin addressing the problem. I'm not going to bother getting it fixed as I am not sure I want the dealer pulling out the seat and disassembling it...that just seems like asking for more trouble than it is worth.
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 06 3LT with the 3.9L and i bought the car in 06 with 10k.

@10k in 2006
    ==============
    I had the coolant piped replaced for ticking, the dash retaped for snapping and popping, TPM replaced for errors, remote remote replaced for poor range, and was told my rough shifting transmission was normal and car jerking back and forth when coming off idle was normal and a random chime that comes through the radio and only turns off when the turn signal is activated cant be replicated. And parking brake not holding to be normal and heavy power steering is normal.

@ 34K in 2008
    ==============
    ISS REPLACED: Knocking/clunk felt through steering wheel

#2 TRANS CLUTCH PISTON REPLACED: for rough 1-2 shift and shudders between 1-2 shift w/ with light throttle and then more things in transmission had to be replaced when they saw some worn items.

KEYFOB, ANTENNA, TRANSMITTER REPLACED: more remote start issues

TPM: yet another malfunctioning tire pressure sensor

PARKING BRAKE ADJUST: same issue that they considered normal the first time

Random chime and car jerking back and forth when going 1-2mph still cant be replicated.

And to make thing worse they didnt test the remote start, so when i got home i noticed that remote start now opens the trunk instead, even the dealer laughed when i told them about it.

NOW @35.5K
    ==========
    Transmission is still a little rough for a 2006 car, so im assuming GM just made a bad transmission for 3.9L engines and the rear seats squeak since they have plastic behind them. Power steering is still very heavy at low speeds or parking. Not to mention the garbage goodyear tires that come on these cars.

I don't think ill ever buy another GM car unless its been out a year or 2 so they can fix all the initial bugs. I was considering a 08 V6 Malibu, G6 GXP, or G8 V6 but im just waiting to see what wrong with those cars also.
    This is now Monday still haven't heard anything back from GM.My car has been sitting at Bob McDormans since Weds.What they are saying is that the hose that was replaced in Feb.08 was under a 12 month parts warrenty but the part didn't fail so the warrenty wouldn't cover the part.The problem is, I took it to Bob chevrolet where I bought it, when the power steering started to leak the first time they replaced the hose.Well the guy that worked on it the first time had it for 4 days I kept calling and asking what was taking them so long,he said they were having problems getting the hose on .Well now 8 months later come to find out he put it on wrong he ran it up against the oil pan and it burned a hole in it sooo the parts warrenty wouldn't cover it so Bob McDormans won't replace it unless I pay 312.00.
    Anyway I called GMC because I'm not paying a penny for something that I did not cause.I took it to a GMC dealer they put the part on wrong so they need to pay for the new hose.So I'm waiting for GMC to give Bob McDormans the okay to fix it.But their taking forever.They said I may hear something by Tues.But my attoney said the longer they have my car the better.
    Your dealer is definitely giving you the run around. The replacement part failed due to incorrect installation by the dealer. If the dealer is acknowledging that their "technician" installed the hose incorrectly 9 months ago, they should be correcting the problem and installing a new one at no charge. On top of that, they should be apologizing and giving you a free oil change or two, or maybe a free detailing or something. This is not a parts warranty issue but a poor service issue. Again, the car should be out of service for no more than 1 day for this repair.

Calling GM can help somewhat, but most dealers are independently owned and operated. Ultimately, GM has very little influence over the dealers when it comes to resolving issues of this nature. Shoddy workmanship by the dealer caused the failure, the part itself did not fail on its own. GM may not agree to pay to fix a problem caused by incorrect installation by one of their independently owned dealers. GM can call the dealer and suggest for things to be handled a certain way, but that is about it. Some dealers are more responsive to calls directly from GM than others.

At this point, you should be calling the General Manager of the dealership and escalating the issue to him or her. He/she will have more influence over the service department than will GM.

Does your dealer know that you have contacted your attorney, or has your attorney ever contacted the dealer directly on your behalf? Once attorneys get involved in resolving car issues (Lemon claims, warranty issues, etc.) it becomes next to impossible to get timely service from a dealer. I would suggest your attorney not contact the dealer at all until such time that you actually file a lemon claim and start the arbitration process. Your attorney can certainly advise you behind the scenes in the meantime.

It sounds like you need to find a new dealer after this gets fixed. When/if you get a follow-up call or survey about the visit, give them all poor ratings. A poor survey rating will hurt them more than calling GM. You can take your Impala to any Chevrolet dealer for warranty and non-warranty service. You don't have to stay with the original selling dealer. I currently use 2 or 3 different dealers for warranty and routine service depending on when and where I need work done.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    My neighbor has a 2006 Impala LTZ, he has not had any problems with his car at all. He always tells me it's the best car he has ever had. I am surprised to read some of the issues people are having here.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I have had no serious issues with my 2006 Impala SS and it is indeed one of the best cars I have ever had.

Keep in mind that the people who post here on this thread of problems are in the vast minority of individuals who've had problems with the car as the great majority of people who own the car have had no problems at all and do not post. Sometimes one gets a false and disproportionate impression of the total problems with the car by looking at the people here who have had less than optimal experiences with the Impala.

As far as I am concerned, the glass is definitely half full!
    I have had no serious issues with my 2006 Impala SS and it is indeed one of the best cars I have ever had.

Keep in mind that the people who post here on this thread of problems are in the vast minority of individuals who've had problems with the car as the great majority of people who own the car have had no problems at all and do not post. Sometimes one gets a false and disproportionate impression of the total problems with the car by looking at the people here who have had less than optimal experiences with the Impala.

As far as I am concerned, the glass is definitely half full!

While I generally agree with such an assessment, in the case of the '06 Impala there are known issues that all owners will face at some point in their ownership of the vehicle. Whether it be the prematurely warped brake rotors, the Intermediate Steering Shaft issue, the popping seatbacks of the front seats, reduced range of the keyless entry system, failure of the high pressure power steering hose in low temperature climates, loss of heat at idle due to air bubbles in the heater hoses, etc. These are all problems that General Motors has acknowledged and for which they have issued Technical Service Bulletins.

In fact, Chevrolet has issued 66 Technical Service Bulletins for the 2006 Impala. In comparison, Dodge has only had to issue 39 TSB's for the 2006 Charger, Ford has issued 17 for the '06 Five Hundred, and Toyota has issued 14 for the '06 Avalon.

Consumer Reports is also reporting the '06 Impala as a used car to avoid. The V6 models have only average reliability, while the V8 models have worse than average reliability. I normally ignore CR's ratings, but after having lived with my '06 Impala for the past 28 months and 34,000 miles it is hard to argue with their survey results. If I am experiencing "average" reliability I would hate to see what "worse than average" is like.

The '07 Impalas are slightly better. Chevy has issued 39 TSB's for the '07 model year. However, there is a rather serious rear wheel alignment concern on the '07's that should be watched for.

Where there is smoke there is fire. If I go to a message board and see 500 postings about a model, then your assessment is most likely the case. When I go to a message board and see 3400 messages, many discussing "this problem" or "that anomaly" it gives me great pause.

I bought my '06 Impala because my parents had great service from their '03 Impala. Their '03 was as trouble free as a car gets and in 40,000 miles never went back for anything other than one recall and annual state inspections. Their replacement for the Impala, an '07 Mercury Montego, is just as reliable as their '03 Impala.

If you really want to see what the vast majority of owners are experiencing with their Impalas, check out online communities like naioa dot com and read the thousands upon thousands of postings (both good and bad). It can be a real eye-opener.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I'll address some of the aspects of the items here.

> I go to a message board and see 500 postings about a model, then your assessment is most likely the case. When I go to a message board and see 3400 messages, many discussing "this problem" or "that anomaly" it gives me great pause

The number of posts in a discussion is not relevant. I can probably go find lots of Honda and Toyota discussions with 10000+ posts. What is relevant is how many different posters actually have a problem. Notice I said different: in some discussions a single person keeps reposting about their problem and then evoking responses from some of the same people declaring there is no problem with the car or at least not with their car or their friend's car. Reading the flow of the discussion and comparing that with the number sold and the type of buyers to whom they are sold can help gauge the scope of the real or the imagined problem.

>, Chevrolet has issued 66 Technical Service Bulletins for the 2006 Impala. In comparison, Dodge has only had to issue 39 TSB's for the 2006 Charger, Ford has issued 17 for the '06 Five Hundred, and Toyota has issued 14 for the '06 Avalon.

The number of service TSBs that are PUBLIC knowledge is not relevant. In fact that means the company acknowledges something is there for some cars out of a group. Again I can search discussions and find where people said that certain popular cars with no problem reputations hid problems with their cars in the 90s and didn't issue fixes just to avoid the stigma of the TSBs or recalls at a greater depth of problem.

>Consumer Reports is also reporting the '06 Impala as a used car to avoid.

I take Consumer Reports with a big grain of salt. Remember their automatic love for anything Toyota or Honda. And then remember their having to say the Camry V6s aren't that great; they were "over-loving" the brand. And the Avalon came out with a rebuild based on the Camry and it was automatic love again. But months later there was a small picture and a statement that there were some problems with the car.

And I realize you said that you don't accept CR as the automatic authority that's always right.

CR relies on the same reporting mechanism that the forums do-voluntary participation by a specific group who happen to be internet savvy and have a problem with a car they don't love and are willing to complain about; as opposed to those who won't complain because they don't want to affect the car brand's image.

I would evaluate a car for purchase by driving it first and being alert for symptoms of any of the problems which might be in some cars. I can go to the TSBs list for my Buick and there are many, many problems but my car doesn't have them. It means they occured in a number of models with parts from a certain supplier's group or day's output; but not all cars will have them.

Notice that I have not said there are not cars with problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The number of TSB's issued is relevant in the sense that GM has publicly acknowledged 66 "concerns" that may exist in certain '06's. That is pretty poor. I realize that some manufacturers keep such information to themselves and make it available only to dealers. My original point was to support my statement that Chevy/GM has acknowledged the issues I mentioned as well as numerous others. The more bulletins that exist, the greater the chance that at least one of them will affect the sample you buy or are currently driving.

I understand that the number of posts in a discussion may not be a hard indicator of issues, but the more posts there are the more likely there will be a higher concentration of reported issues. Particularly in discussions related to "problems" or "issues". Granted, popular models will have more posts. At that point you just have to skim through them and see what they relate to. It's always fun and interesting to read through them :)

When purchasing a new car, it is next to impossible to check for symptoms of known problems. When I test drove my new '06 Impala 28 months ago the steering was fine, the exterior trim pieces weren't peeling, the dash didn't rattle, the doors didn't rattle, the windows didn't rattle, the brakes weren't warped, and the seatbacks didn't pop. By 7500 miles the power steering hose ruptured, by 12K miles the brakes were warped, by 32K miles the ISS was unacceptable, and at ~33K miles the water pump failed. Somewhere in there the seats started popping as well. Additionally, TSB's for these issues most likely didn't immediately exist back then.

If buying used, then a careful evaluation as well as awareness of a models known problems can be invaluable while shopping.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about a brand's image. Be it Chevy, KIA, Lexus, BMW...it doesn't matter. If someone asks me to complete a survey about my car I am honest and report everything realistically. I will report problems regardless if I love or hate the vehicle. You hear people all the time say "I love the car, but it seems to have a constant problem with blah, blah, blah." Too many companies are riding purely on their image/brand name and need to start becoming accountable for their actual products and services (good or bad).

I agree that there are no perfect vehicles. Some are better than others, even within the same model. Myself, along with numerous other different posters in this forum, seem to be experiencing very similar problems across various trim levels. We talk about them, share our solutions (and our frustration), and try to help. Many times it can be therapeutic to know we aren't alone :)
    No my attorney hasn't contacted the dealer yet because like you said I thought it might make matters worse so I'm waiting till I know whats going on with my car.Thanks for the advise on the different routes to take with my car.This is now Friday and I still have not heard anything on what their doing about the repairs.This is now the nineth day.I can't get over the people on here getting so upset with the fact were upset over the problems with are cars.I bet if they had the problems with their cars that we've had they'd be upset as well.I know all cars have issue but not this many and not in the first year or two.
    I am very sorry to hear that you are still waiting for your car back. I definitely feel your frustration.

I owned a Ford several years ago. The dealer had to keep it for 17 days straight, including over a Thanksgiving holiday, to track down an abnormal noise. They eventually called out someone from the factory who tracked down the problem to a manufacturing defect with the frame. During the time they had it, they only contacted me twice. Otherwise I had to keep on top of them for updates. They did give me a free rental for the entire 17 days however...the only bright spot to an otherwise poor service stint. The dealer showed me the final warranty charges for all of the work that needed to be done, and Ford paid over $5,000 to fix the vehicle during that 17-day trip!

Honestly, I am ready to trade my Impala on something else. Unfortunately the trade-in value is very low. Since purchasing my '06 Impala new 28 months ago the car has dropped 67% in value. Despite a decent down payment, an additional $2,000 dealer discount, and 0% through GMAC, it has been impossible to keep up with the depreciation. I know that all cars depreciate significantly, but the Impala is one of the worst I have ever experienced personally.

My other issue is that nothing out there interests me all that much that I would want to buy. The Pontiac G8 is nice, but after Friday's news that GM may be killing the Pontiac line as part of their "recovery plan", I am a little gun shy about that. The Dodge Charger and Challenger are nice, but again not sure that Chrysler will be around in the next year or two. The Ford Taurus is a nice car as well, and Ford is in the best shape of the Big 3, so that is a small possibility. None of the aforementioned vehicles, though, provide that "I must buy this!" excitement that a new vehicle should give you.

I test drove a new Mazda CX-9 a few weeks ago, and did not care for it at all. How it has won so many media accolades and awards escapes me. There is nothing special at all about it. The dealer was even offering a $7,200 discount on the vehicle and that wasn't enough to entice me.

So, my Impala will most likely stay until the Spring. By then it will be out of warranty and have 40,000 miles on it. Hopefully nothing major will go wrong with it between the time the warranty ends and I find a suitable replacement.
  • dtomazdtomaz Member Posts: 2
    Ive located the oil filter on the left side undercarriage of my vehicle yet i cannot screw off the filter? Is their a specific tool I shoulod be using or are the bolt and nut I see right above said filter holding it in place?Also where is the oil drain plug I havent been able to locate it,these are the two main issues I;'m having with my maintenance and Im trying to avoid the costly price of dealership maintenance and shop costs as I am more than able to perform this simple task etc...
  • dtomazdtomaz Member Posts: 2
    As I can tell the 06 Impala is alot like a foreign car design much like a nissan Maxima,the engine is sideway's and there isnt much room to work now I simple need to know the location of my drain plug for the oil pan and exactly the name of the tool to remove the oil filter?
    What engine does your Impala have? the 5.3L is pretty simple to work when it comes to an oil change. The drain plug is centered and drains towards the front of the car and the oil filter is nearby, toward the left side of the vehicle, hanging straight down to make minimal mess.

Regardless, I can't imagine you'd need any special tool other than a filter wrench to break it loose. I don't know of any filter with a secondary attachment. As for the drain plug, I'm not sure what is hampering you from finding it. Look for a flat piece of metal with a bolt in it aimed slightly down toward the ground.
  • spyderchickspyderchick Member Posts: 5
    I have an 05 and experience the same lack of heat when stopped problem. I can fix it temporarily by adding coolant, but apparently it just leaks out again (or something!) because the problem comes back eventually. Sometimes immediately...sometimes weeks later.

I've also noticed an excessive gurgling sound in the engine compartment, but it seems close to the firewall. It seems to happen more within the first 5 minutes of running, but I've heard it even after it's been running for an hour. I also notice the tell-tell odor of coolant when I'm standing next to the passenger door retrieving my briefcase after I've parked in the morning at work. I've never noticed (although that doesn't mean it's not there) any coolant leaks/puddles on the ground.

I've seen others mention the temp gauge. Mine usually hovers about halfway between cold (140 degrees?) and straight up (170 degrees?). When I have the lack of heat problem, the gauge is usually much closer to straight up and fluctuates a great deal.

Anyone have any ideas? I've had a friend tell me that it sounded like a heater core about to need replacing. Yikes!!

Thanks!
    Julie
    Sounds like the water pump is bad. The water pump on my '06 failed at 33,000 miles and I had symptoms similar to yours.

If you are still under warranty, or have a trusted mechanic, they should easily be able to pressure test the coolant system for leaks. After the pressure test on my car, the dealer said my water pump was "really gushing". They replaced it and all is well again.
  • biga9905biga9905 Member Posts: 1
    the rear brake lights and blinkers have stopped working. bulbs and fuses are fine. first the driver side stopped then a few months later the other side went out. whats going on?
  • bustedknuckl1bustedknuckl1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2006 Impala 59800 on it and last winter lost my heat at idle. Took it to dealer and had the system bled and all was well. Here i am again this winter and have the same symtems. Back to the dealer again ,they do a pressure test and say i need new head gaskets as they are the cause of the problem. Gaskets are replaced under extended warranty and all is well until i get home and let it idle, and you guessed it no heat at idle. Back to dealer again this time they tell me it needs to be BURPED. Once again this is done and all is well until now 2 1/2 weeks later no heat at idle. Any ideas anyone as the 60 k warranty is over. :mad:
    When the engine is cool, and the car is sitting on a level surface, make sure the coolant (Dex-Cool) in the reservoir is at the cold level line. Also, remove the radiator cap and make sure the coolant is topped off to just below the cap. If any of these need to be brought up to the proper levels, do so.

Button everything back up and let the car idle. Turn the heat temp. all the way up and let the car run for several minutes. Gently rev the car in park (make sure the brake is set!) a couple of times as well. With the coolant topped off, the heat should blow hot even at idle. If this doesn't work, shut the car off and let it cool down for a couple of hours.

After it has cooled down, pop the hood and check the coolant levels again. The coolant level in the reservoir should be OK, but if there was air in the system you may need to add coolant again after checking under the radiator cap. Bring the coolant level back up, and button everything up again.

Start the car, set the heat temp. on high, and let the car idle/warm up one more time.

The whole goal with this process is to try to get as much air as possible out of the system and get the coolant flowing through again. You do not indicate which engine you have. If it is a V6, also make sure the radiator cap is an 18psi cap like what is installed at the factory. I briefly installed an aftermarket 15psi cap on my 3.5L V6 and had the no heat at idle problem. I put a factory 18psi cap back on and had no further issues.

If the radiator cap is 18psi, and the coolant system seems "full" after a couple of the aforementioned cycles, it may be something other than air in the lines. But the coolant check thing is something that can be done at home before paying a dealer/mechanic to check it out again.

Best of luck to you!
  • bustedknuckl1bustedknuckl1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info . I'll give it a try but i cant help but wonder if the levels are low , where did the coolant go?. I suspected that the head gaskets were the culprit last time even though there were no signs or smell of external leaks but i'll keep in touch and let you know. Thanks again.
    Coolant tends to mysteriously disappear in these cars. The coolant level in my car drops gradually. I am in the habit now of checking it everytime I have the hood up. I use the 50/50 pre-diluted Dex-cool offered by Prestone. I have a container of it in the garage, as well as one in the trunk of the Impala. I am just more comfortable keeping it around.

My parents had a '03 Impala with the 3.8L V6. The Dex-cool in their car also just disappeared. They also had to check it regularly and kept the Prestone pre-diluted Dex-cool handy as well.

From what I have read, mysterious coolant loss is not uncommon on Dex-cool vehicles.
  • JoshuaM1234JoshuaM1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Impala LS it has on star, but I want to put in a new tv deck in but they are saying I need to buy that onstar adapter wiring kit, I'm not going to use that onstar because I'm not set up for it.....can I just bypass that wiring harness and just hook it up regular, b/c if I use that adapter it probably wont let me play videos. let me know something soon so I can catch this tv while its still on sale.
    thanks
    josh
    I have a 2006 3LT and when i put it for sale 12/10/08 it had a edmunds true market value of $12,900 with 35,500 miles. I now have 36,100 miles and it has a true market value of $11,200.

I have never seen a car take a $1700 hit of value in 1 month.

Even after having the clutch piston replaced for rough 1-2 shift/shuddering with light throttle and more work done for excessive wear on pinion gears, the car still doesnt shift as smooth as it should, so im just assuming the the 3.9L/4 Speed Auto is not a smooth shifting combo compared to the 3.8L. The dealer keeps telling me to give a good while for the transmission readjust. And it seems to get rougher over time.
    These cars have atrocious resale. Just be glad you are not trying to trade the car at a dealer. The Kelley Blue Book values are simply depressing.

Edmund's TMV values tend toward the optimistic side. They are supposedly based on real data from real people, but the used values are simply too high. Their new car TMV's tend toward the low side. As many cars as I have purchased, it has been near impossible to get a new car dealer to match the TMV value no matter how hard I push them.

For comparison, the KBB private party price of an '06 3LT with leather and sunroof is $10,500. If it doesn't have leather or sunroof, the private party price is even lower.

My '06 2LT with 36,000 miles currently has a Kelley Blue Book trade-in value of $7900. My experience has been that dealers in my area offer KBB minus $1000, so I figure I would maybe get $7000 on a trade. Last month the KBB value was about $8500. I know I could get more if I sold it myself, but I never do that. Not worth the hassle to me.

As far as the drop on your value, keep in mind that the car has over 36,000 miles on it and the original factory warranty has expired. That will have a slight impact on the value of the car. Quite frankly, most buyers are a little hesitant to purchase an off-warranty, domestic brand car "as-is" and with a spotty repair history (such as the '06+ Impala). Also remember that the auto market continues to struggle. No buyers means that there is diminished demand for vehicles. Diminished demand means diminished value.

Additionally, the used market is flooded with '06 Impalas. An Autotrader search shows 136 used '06 Impalas within 50 miles of my location, and 4,500 nationwide. A 2006 3LT with only 22,000 miles came up at $12,995 at a Chevy dealer. The more there are on the market, the less they are worth to buyers, dealers, and auctions.

Finally, huge incentives on new cars means that the value of used cars will decrease. When it becomes cheaper for people to buy a new car than a used one, the used ones have to decrease in price accordingly.

Selling any car right now is tough.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    There is a flood of used and repo'd cars on the market. Combine that with lower and lower new car prices and your car is loosing value fast (they all are).

It's all a disaster.

All you can do if you want to get a new car is hope the new has dropped as much as the used.
    I checked KBB and it was $10,480 Private Party. It looks like there values clearly favor the dealers, there retail values are as high as edmunds with lower trade ins.

I was looking into a 08 Malibu LTZ, but wondering if it will have the same problem since so many malibus are fleet/rentals.
  • MagnumwideglidMagnumwideglid Member Posts: 5
    Tell the dealer you need a printout each time your car was in for your records. Once you get that review it and see if there are notes on it stating your complaints of rough shifting. Once you have that, tell him you're not happy with the transmission, and it doesn't require break in to shift smoother. Tell him you don't want him to stall any longer so you're further out of warranty. Tell him I'll be calling the GM hotline and get authorization to take the car to a dealer that can fix transmissions. If you only had a 36k warranty, the papers you have detailing your complaint, prior to the warranty expiring should get you the job done under warranty. Don't put it off. Take notes and write your GM complaint number down. Tell them it's past 36k miles but you need referral to a better dealership. Get name, phone number, case number, even written confirmation that the repair is authorized. Then never go back to that dealer. He's making good money on a crappy tranny. I don't understand why he didn't replace it. Other than they need a bailout.
    Try regular gas for even more power. The higher the octane, the higher the temp prior to detonation. Pre-ignition causes pinging, and is bad. The gas pre-ignites while the piston is still climbing in the cylinder, the pinging is the piston bopuncing off the cylinder walls so to speak. You use the lowest octane gas you can, without pinging. Many people believe opposite because they hear things like racing cars using 104 octane etc. It's a different machine. Check your mileage. You won't get any better mileage, and probably less, on premium.
    Another reason is it is one less thing a weekend mechanic can do. So, it never gets changed, and walla, you need a new fuel pump. Isn't that great??? And they even care soooo much they put the fuel pump in the tank. Most people don't, I do, drop their tanks and change the pump themselves. Oh, and if you do, that's after the tow bill. No fuel pump, no go. The old fuel pumps were on the outside and you could take them on/off with a ton less money and hassle. Don't kid yourselves. The more I learn, the more I leanr why they do what they do.
    Tell that mechanic that that bulletin is for your car, to be fixed right. That balancing tires can be done by any idiot with today's spin balancer's. And ask where the bulletin actuially says tow alignment only. Tell him the bulletin isn't for him either, as it says "trained" mechanics, and he doesn't appear to be one. At least not a good one. This is why only I touch my own cars.
    I know GM's customer service leaves alot ot be desired. I'm looking at a 2006 Impala 3.5 L with 102k. It has the heater issue I hope is the air bubble, but I admit I thought it was water pump related. I saw the posts on water pumps as well. Maybe it is some air but I've been flushing my own for years and never had this occur. I suspect the lady who's sister had this happen has a water pump about to die but I don't know. Car drives great. But I don't want to be a fool. Have those of you that have had problems got them resolved?
    I wonder the same thing alot.

I took it to the dealer in March 07 and told them about rough shifting and even printed out the tsb's and was told thats how impala's shift. Then i went back Sept 08 with the same tsb's printed and had the 2nd clutch piston housing and gaskets replaced for a 1-2 shift shudder and then one month later the dealer discover some worn gears in the trans. and replaced those. But the problem is when they drive it im sure there are aggressive and it performs fine, but when driving normal with light throttle, it still has either a rough 1-2 or 2-3 shift or a slight 1-2 shudder and thats when i hear the whole give it some time to adjust speech.

Im at 36,300 now, so if i take it back and show them all the tsb's on the transmission, hopefully the will repair it for free. To this day they still cant solve why the car will slightly jerk back and forth when easing off the gas if your going 1-2 mph. So i give up.
  • lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    :confuse: As someone who has personally built transmissions in the past, 10 years ago, and my brother has been and still does build transmissions for the last 18 years, I can tell you that an automatic transmission does not need to adjust itself. There were years ago some self learning trans from chrysler, but that was shift timing, not smoothness or jerking or not going into gear. My 06 LTZ with 26k on it will sometimes seem like it doesn't make the 2-1 downshift unless I come to a complete stop. Or if I am backing up, and go to fast into drive it studders and catches. These are problems that will not get better without repairs. They are lying about readjusting. Unfortuneatly my car is just out of warranty. So my brother gets the honors of fixing it sometime soon. Don't let them lie to you!
    Keep in mind that TSB's are not the same as recalls and may not be covered under warranty once the warranty expires.

If you have a problem with the car that started while it was under warranty, and continues to be a problem after the warranty expires, it should continued to be covered under warranty provided there is ample documentation/evidence supporting the ongoing problem.

My '06 Impala 2LT 3.5 has a slight 1-2 shudder as well, but only in extreme cold (e.g. 0 - 20 degrees F). Otherwise it shifts fine.

Unfortunately domestic AND import automakers have become experts at telling customers that cars are "operating as intended" even though they may not be. It can be very frustrating, but that is how they keep warranty repairs low and "save" money. Basically, the car has to experience an actual component failure or breakdown before they will either admit to a problem or even be able to fix it. In the meantime, they are more than happy to sell you a XX,000 mile service for $400 that is nothing more than a $60 tire rotation, oil change, and visual inspection service.
  • bdoanebdoane Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2006 Monte Carlo. I have had the car about 1 1/2 years and have seen this problem in the winter. I start the car occasionally and get the message SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM. I turn the car off and wait about 5 minutes then turn the car back on and the message goes away. If you find out anything about the problem please e-mail me. bob.doane@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    After almost 2 1/2 years of problems, bad service, GM breeching the warranty, and all the stress and frustration that went along with that, a BBB arbitration and lawsuit, my Impala is going back home.Some of you will remember me and my problems, so I wanted to let you know what the final result was. If you remember I rejected the replacement that was awarded in the BBB arbitration because the arbitrator assessed a useage fee based on mileage that is not included in Tennessee's lemon law.

We were scheduled for trial March 9, but the judge ordered us to go through mediation first. Through this process we worked out a repurchase that I could live with. I still think I could have won case, but the deal is not too bad and I hated to cause so many of my family, friends and co-workers who had witnessed the problems have to take off work to appear in court over what the difference would have been. (Some of them don't get paid if they don't work and don't have vacation to take.)

I'm looking for another car now and need to get it as quickly as possible so I can turn this one over to them. I will not buy another Impala at this point, nor even a GM most likely. I wouldn't mind another GM, but there is no way I want to have to deal with the GM district manager again if anything came up. He has totally soured me on them.

I will caution you guys out there to watch your brakes. After a test drive by an inspector and him testing my ABS with a couple of sudden stops, there was smoke coming out of my passenger front wheel. I had been having brake trouble, but when the service departments checked them, they said they were fine and nothing was wrong.

Anyway, take care everyone and good luck with your Impalas.
    Thanks for the update, Wanda. I wish things would have gone better and I'm sure GM hates to lose a customer but sometimes it's best to move on. Good luck to you as well and let us know what you end up buying. I'm considering a new car as well but haven't narrowed it down much. It's a want, not a need so I'm not extremely motivated.
  • tra9105tra9105 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2008 Impala LS with 44000 miles and there is a popping/knocking noise that can be felt through the steering wheel at low speeds. Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem? The noise doesnt occur that often.
  • jccinohjccinoh Member Posts: 9
    We had the exact same problem with our 2007 Impala. I searched the internet and took this information to the dealer:

TSB #070235005 -- EI07162 - STEERING CLUNK NOISE FELT, HEARD FROM STEERING COLUMN. (REPLACE I-SHAFT) *NJ UPDATED ON 09/24/07 *NJ UPDATED 10/5/07. *NJ (NHTSA ID #10022711, AUGUST 01 2007)

They replaced the I-Shaft and the clunk/noise went away.