Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Because it relevant to US auto data. Canada used Imperial gallons way back when yes, they still put them in brochures yes, but I don't find them useful to compare to anything relevant anymore. Older people like them and dealers use them sometimes to make mileage sound better than it is.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    I had a great ride today!! While on vacation in York, Pennsylvania with my family my 2001 Impala LS started to give me problems. Whenever I wanted to accelerate on the interstate the gas pedal would feel spongy and there would be nothing there. Not good when you pull out to pass someone. It got so bad that I started to hear ratchet wrench type noises from under the hood. I pulled into a larger Chevy dealer in York PA (Apple Chevrolet) to get it checked out. I was amazed at their efficiency. They found that the catalytic convertor had failed and was preventing the engine from reving up. It was so bad that the engine would not allow the transmission to downshift to pass.
    While I was there getting the car repaired, I noticed they had a Black 2006 Chevy Impala SS with the 5.3L V8. The salesman asked if I wanted to take it for a drive - I told him I would love to. I think the salesman was itching to take it out also. As they put a plate on it and my family packed in, the salesman asked where we were going on sight seeing. We told him and he drove us out about 20 minutes away to find our next stop. We then switched and I got to drive it the 20 minute trip back. WHAT A SWEET RIDE!! As you accelerate you can hear the mellow rumble of exhaust. The engine is as sooth as silk. There is no perceptible difference in the number of cylinders being used as part of the "Displacement on Demand" system as it switches from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinders. As we just idled along the back roads, we could not tell it was running in 4 cylinder mode. The window sticker listed I think 24 - 28 mpg for mileage.
    Reality set in when we finished the trip. The dealer gave us a quote for our 2001 Impala LS with 54000 on the clock. They offered us 7000 for our Impala and took that off of the window sticker of the 2006 Impala SS. They said we would be one of the first people to own one on the Eastern seaboard. Although it had lots of options, 8 speaker BOSE sound system, sunroof, leather seats, heated seats, XM radio and of course the 5.3 L V8, I could not go for the deal. Maybe another one will come my way.
    The emissions warranty took care of the catalytic problem and I was on my way free of charge after just 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the dealer!
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Over the years I have owned 6 Impalas......1 almost from every generation. I have seen the transformation of this car from the getgo. I plan on buying a 2006 Impala SS in January or February. I am not concerned about the price of gas, even if it keeps going up! my 64 SS 327 (5.3 V8) gets terrible gas mileage, about 12 miles per US gallon, or 14 1/2 miles per Canadian Imperial gallon. Don't care. Not an issue.

Vanmann, for months you have posted about this 2006 Impala. You have never owned an Impala, but indicated you were looking at purchasing an LTZ or SS.......OOPS!! sorry!......but if gas prices go any higher I will now be looking at a 4 banger or Pontiac G6 your post #502. I guess if you are on a tight budget, I do understand.

Reminds me though, of someone who is an expert on a certain baseball team. Knows all the statistics, knows all the players, the wins/losses but never played, or been to a game. Never owned an Impala. Are you planning on buying a 2006 Impala? A couple hundred $$ a year difference in gas on a $30,000 car.....not an issue. The Impala has a lot more going for it (even you have stated that) then any 4 banger or Pontiac G6.

I guess you also refer to pricing always in US funds, Canadian funds are for older people. It makes it look like we are getting a better deal.

I am curious, are you in or out on purchasing a 2006 Impala?
    Although I don't think I need to be buying or own an Impala to be in this forum (or any other) as you seem to imply.. I am in fact looking at it for a replacement for my Intrigue in about 2-3 years.

My comment about the 4 banger G6 was a bit of a joke. You know.. if gas prices keeping up I may have to cut back. Haha.

I'm sorry you have taken a dislike to me for what ever reason. :confuse: I think we are both interested in the 2006 Impala and rather than critiquing my use of gallons and dollars, maybe we can discuss the car.
    Sounds like you enjoyed the car. I am looking forward to some road tests and comparos from some of the big car mags. :)
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Showed up at Avis yesterday and there was a new '06 Impala LT in my space with 1,256 miles on it.

My first impression is that it was well put together, rode fairly smoothly and was very quiet.

Performance was O.K, brakes seemed a little grabby, the A/C and radio controls seemed unnecessarily fussy to operate. The cloth interior felt nice, but the beige color was very light shade and looked like it would show dirt fairly well over time. The glove box latch is in the middle of the glove box door door and hard to reach. One thing that bugged me was the steering wheel felt cheap - just a big circle of plastic. Would go for the leather-wrapped version myself.

When I returned it back to Avis, I pulled up right next to an '05. Seeing them side-by-side, the '06 has a much more "natural" flow to it's design than the '05. The '05 just plain looked "old" by comparison.

Anyway, I drive a Ford Five Hunderd as a company car (I'm not a huge Ford fan - I just drive it cause it's free ), and I'd say I prefer the Ford. Performance seems about the same, but the controls, layout and interior materials look and feel beter, the driving position is better and seats are more comfortable. Sound system is better in the Ford, and the overall platform feels more solid and rigid than the Chevy - I was told it's based on the Volvo, so I guess that would explain why.

My .02.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The layout that you're used to in a car affects how you perceive a different arrangement in another car. I used to have Fords and whenever I sat in GMs they didn't feel right because of a difference in their arrangements. After I owned GMs and got used to them the Fords don't feel right. I believe in both cases there are individual quirks that are not ergonomically best but are compromises.

The automakers use psychologists for their car exterior designs and I assume for their interior designs as well. I sat in an 06 Impala and it looked great and felt like things would work for me.

I like the 06 style--it does have a visual flow.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Ford 500 MSRPs are a little more than Impala. Further, a LTZ or SS Impala would have significantly more power, 500 has no power upgrade.

You are right though, the new Impala flows much better than the 05. I'm not surprised you would find one at an Avis though, this is a high volume car. You will see them as cabs and police cars also. It's also a good thing as people can try them out. I see Camry rentals also at Enterprise and Thrifty rent a car.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    For anyone who owns or has driven the new 2006 Impala SS, is there much wind or road noise at highway speeds? How does the BOSE audio system sound?

Thanks.
  • cartwrightcartwright Member Posts: 10
    Am I the only one who’s confused here? For the last few weeks, I’ve noticed websites/blogs list diff sets of specs for the 3500 engine. Some have said 214 @ 4000, others: 220 @ 2800. Now GM is adding to the confusion. On the US site (finally shown!), it states 214 @ 4000 and 21/31 mpg. On the Canadian site (preview only), it’s 220 @ 2800. Which is it? Do we Canadians get to have the better package? Plus, what happened to the 3500 having the Malibu’s fuel economy of 22/32 mpg? And don’t tell me it’s another metric issue between us neighbors. :)

When you click on the LTZ model on the GM site, it states 31 highway miles. On the specs section, it’s 27. I’m sick of these damn typos or are they just mind games.

Another thing I’ve noticed go awry today was when I visited the Toyota site. It appears as though the specs for ’06 Camry and Avalon’s engines have been watered down a bit. If you have time, visit their site. Incidentally, they’ve jacked up the price for the Camry LE (and no changes for 2006), #@$%. It’s either that one or Impala LS for me. If I wait too long, GM may raise the price of the base Impala as it’ll likely do well. By then the newly-designed ’07 Camry will be out. hmm….

PS. I thought the Impala would have electronic brake distribution (EBD), like on the Ford 500 and Camry; apparently not.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Especially as to the differences in Camry, this may help (I don't know if early publications for the Impala's new engine were affected by this):

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/19/A01-283759.htm
    The chevrolet.com site is probably right. Official Canadian site is not up yet for some reason. It, like other numbers were probably estimates since it's not the same 3.5L engine as you would find in the Malibu/G6. Further, you can't expect to get the same mileage as a Malibu in an Impala, the Impala is a significantly bigger car.

214hp and 21/31 sounds pretty accurate.
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Member Posts: 210
    "5300 " 0-60 5.7 seconds
    these are Chevrolets numbers. I am sure when Motor trend or Carandriver test these, the numbers might vary a couple tenths one way or the other."

Thats strange because Pontiacs official numbers on the 5300 Grand Prix GXP are 5.9 seconds. Same car as Impala. Edmunds best run on the 5300 GP GXP was a SLOW 6.7 seconds. Go figure. There had to be something wrong there.
    Could be gearing to get to 5.9 but 6.7 is very slow.

GXP is nice but I think the Impala is an easier car to live with day to day. I find the new GPs to be a little cramped in side.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Could be gearing to get to 5.9 but 6.7 is very slow."

Impala SS final drive ratio is shown as 2.93 : 1, same as the GXP.
    - Ray
    GXP driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The GXP is sportier, and certainly feels a bit smaller inside, shoulder room and seats seamed narrower, including the back seat area....not sure of the interior specs.correct me if I am wrong but the GXP tires are wider at the front then the rear?....when I took out a 2006 SS it had only 000014 on it. I did a standing start to 60 mph (100 kph) Some wheel spin and some torque steer, not too bad. It didn't seem like it came close to Chevys #'s. Nice throaty exhaust. It certainly has more grunt then my 3800 (200hp) but being brand new might be part of it. If I remember correctly before the GXP went into service didn't they originally rate it at 290 hp, then when the Impala 5.3 was announced both engines were rated at 303 hp. I could be wrong on that.
    The new Impala has side-curtain airbags but apparently no seat-mounted side torso airbags? Why not?

This is a standard and very basic safety device nowadays. Why does the car have OnStar and no side torso airbags? Because the OnStar pays a monthly fee and the airbags do not?

If this company is serious about pulling themselves out of the financial hole in which they presently find themselves, they need to get serious about really taking care of their customers.

If the new 2006 Hyundai Sonata can provide side torso and side curtain airbags (not to mention active head restraints), why not GM??
    Camry does not offer seat mounted or curtain SABs on any model except the high end XLE V6.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    GM has long had concerns about injuries to small passengers in the passenger seat resulting from side air bag deployment. See their discussion why they offer a side air bag on the driver side but not the passenger side on earlier Impalas.

This problem has been resolved for other manufacturers by "occupant classification/location" systems which can tell where a passenger is sitting, if they weigh enough, etc., and hopefully GM will catch up.

In the mean time, side curtain airbags are the most critical, although the Insurance Institute tests improved significantly when side torso airbags were added to the previously available side curtain airbags in the current generation Malibu.
    Camry does not offer seat mounted or curtain SABs on any model except the high end XLE V6.

Yes, and this is a mistake by Toyota as well but it in no way excuses GM for this omission in the new 2006 Impala. Should only those willing to pay more be entitled to optimally safe cars? If Hyundai does not think so, neither should other manufacturers.

Incidentally, the brand new model Camry is coming out next spring and I would be very surprised if it did not have side torso air bags on all models.
    GM has long had concerns about injuries to small passengers in the passenger seat resulting from side air bag deployment. See their discussion why they offer a side air bag on the driver side but not the passenger side on earlier Impalas.

This is little consolation if our car is T-boned on the passenger side while my wife or adult son is sitting there.

This problem has been resolved for other manufacturers by "occupant classification/location" systems which can tell where a passenger is sitting, if they weigh enough, etc., and hopefully GM will catch up.

GM is in precisely the mess it is because it was content to be a class follower and not a class leader. One would think they should have learned a lesson from this but apparently not.

In the mean time, side curtain airbags are the most critical, although the Insurance Institute tests improved significantly when side torso airbags were added to the previously available side curtain airbags in the current generation Malibu.

My point exactly. The car is substantially safer with side torso airbags.

Furthermore, how much do they spend putting the revenue-generating OnStar in each car as opposed to side torso airbags? Will OnStar mitigate the injury effects of a T-bone collision as effectively as side torso airbags or simply call for the authorities to come clean up the increased injuries as a result of their absence?
    Post # 533. "This problem has been resolved for by other manufactures by occupant/classification location which can tell where a passenger is sitting, if they weigh enough etc. and hopefully GM will catch up".

The 2006 Impala has this system. There is an illuminated signal that shows up on the dash panel in front of the passenger seat. If someone weighs less then 40 pounds, who is sitting in the front passenger seat, an X shows on the panel that the person is too light/small to be sitting in the front. When the weight on the seat is over 40 pounds an illuminated positive check mark shows up. An excellent feature.
    Head curtains are the most important thing but I agree that seat SABs would be welcome.

That said, Impala has had much better crash tests than Hyundai Sonata, Maybe the new Sonata will be better.
    My GTO has NO side airbags at all, yet is scored just as well as the Mercedes SLK in crash testing. Go figure. The tests were done on the Monaro in Austrailia.
    "Over the years I have owned 6 Impalas......1 almost from every generation. I have seen the transformation of this car from the getgo"

My mother in law has the FIRST generation Impala ever made, the 1958. Only a 2 spd automatic with the most powerfull 348 CID V8. I think it only gets 10 to 12mpg highway, LOL! You are only in 2nd or top gear at 65mph. Handling is/was horrible on those
    The 2006 Impala will be the start of extras to come on future models. Chevy has to stay competitive on GM's top selling car.

The suspension set up on the 1958 Impala was the same for all full size chevs right through to and including 1964. The handling is terrible. I think you turn the huge steering wheel about 8 revolutions to make a turn around a corner. Hard metal dashboards and no seatblets!! Those were the days. Probably many other posters on this forum had parents or grandparents who owned these generation of cars back then. WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY!
    They had a 2005/4 standing beside a 2006 in front of my dealer yesterday. While the general shape is similar, it's amazing how much better the new Impala flows in terms of look. Very elegant and smooth.

Anyone bought / leased one yet? I think "bigjay" was going to pick one up soon.
  • bigjaybigjay Member Posts: 26
    I have driven the SS Impala at low speeds in busy LA traffic and at speed on the 101 fwy. The car is quiet as a tomb! (except for sweet lilt of exhaust note coming from the rear of the car.)

The Bose system is great...although I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, it does sound good to me. I listen to a range of music, mostly rock and light jazz. When I test drove the SS I had a new Michael McDonald "Motown" CD in the deck. McDonald is famous for his keyboards (lots of treble and mid range) and backs his musics up with a lot of heavy bass. IT all sounded great to me!
    I have driven the SS Impala at low speeds in busy LA traffic and at speed on the 101 fwy. The car is quiet as a tomb! (except for sweet lilt of exhaust note coming from the rear of the car.)

The Bose system is great...although I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, it does sound good to me. I listen to a range of music, mostly rock and light jazz. When I test drove the SS I had a new Michael McDonald "Motown" CD in the deck. McDonald is famous for his keyboards (lots of treble and mid range) and backs his music up with a lot of heavy bass. It all sounded great to me!
    Yes... I will take delivery on Sept 1st. I have an escrow closing on the 31st and am having the funds wire transfered to my bank same day. So, my plan is to transact on 9/1.

I will actually be buying two cars at the same time: An SS Impala and a new 'Burb. Actually a new '05 Burb...I'm taking advantage of the "firesale pricing" GM is offreing right now. Immediately after delivery (same day if possible) I'm getting a couple of DVD screens in the 'Burb. That means my wife will be driving the SS for a couple of days and I won't get to at all. Immediately upon delivery of the 'Burb, (within a couple of hours) I'm leaving town for the Labor Day weekend.

In short, I probably won't get much "windshield time" with the Impala until I get back. I'll keep everybody in the loop about the car during the week after Labor day.
    There you are! I knew I saw this post somewhere!! I posted this in another thread and wanted to add it here...

On www.thecarconnection.com there is an article about the new Impala SS and they claim it is hitting zero to 60 times in 5.7 seconds!?!?! Consider the following quote:

"For V-8 fans (and who isn't?) best news is the delightful new Impala SS, which returns legendary small-block Chevy power to the once-legendary Impala nameplate for the first time since last decade's huge, blimp-like rear-drive Impalas. This all-aluminum 5.3-liter sweetheart pumps out a healthy 303 hp and 323 lb-ft, launches the 3712-lb SS to 60 mph in 5.7 sec. and -- partly thanks to GM's Displacement on Demand (DOD) cylinder deactivation technology - delivers a very decent 18 mpg city, 28 mpg highway EPA economy."

Ummm... I dunno about that. I am a big fan of this new car. I've driven it and like it so much, I plan to buy one next week.

But... 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds? The car scoots along pretty well, but it just didn't feel "that" fast! Felt more like upper 6 seconds.

Sub six second 0 to 60 times are the natural habitat of some seriously fast cars ie: MB E500, BMW 545, even the Hemi powered Chrysler 300C. The SS certainly gets up and goes, but it just didn't "feel" like those other cars.

I wonder where they got those numbers?
    I want to see a reliable comparo with the SS vs Charger vs GXP ect.

Look forward to your comments on the SS.

The Burb will be expensive to run with $2.50-$3 gas but I guess if you can get a good deal it offsets the cost of running it. I hope the next generation has DOD like the Impala. It will help mileage.
  • link69link69 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Impala SS and I'm loving it! It's fast and can be a handful off the line. I'm not to sure about that gas mileage thou. I've got tons of options, lots of power. I really wonder what the weight balance is seeing that the block and heads are aluminum.
    “But... 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds? The car scoots along pretty well, but it just didn't feel "that" fast! Felt more like upper 6 seconds.”

The only published magazine acceleration report that I have seen for the GXP (functionally identical driveline, in this context) that included a 0 – 60 number was the Motor Trend – June 2005 issue: 6.0 sec. And the Quarter in 14.3 at 98.1 mph.

The other GXP magazine test I have see is the Pontiac Enthusiast, where they reported a Quarter time of 14.2 – but no 0 to Any MPH times.

Given the challenge of a good launch in such a powerful FWD vehicle, I expect that 6.0 or better is obtainable only with someone talented and experienced in such an esoteric \ specialized skill. I am personally much more interested in the acceleration rate(s) once moving. 10 – 50 mph, 50 – 70 mph (or more) to pass, etc. And (in over 3,000 miles) this drivetrain certainly provides me with the ability to entertain, as well as deal with traffic situations. My previous vehicle was reasonably well documented as a high 6-second 0 – 60, and my GXP does feel (well calibrated “butt dyno”) quicker . .

One thing to consider is that the trans. and final drive gearing is such that Second gear is good for approx. 98 mph. Third and Fourth need a few revs to provide (um) impressive acceleration.

I do expect that we will see a few instrumented SS tests within a couple of months.

- Ray
    Happy with the feel . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The 2005 Camry SE (4cyl and 6cyl models) have the side airbag and front/rear head curtain airbag option available.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    Geez, the 2006 Impala looks like a Dodge Intrepid! Where's the styling that says Impala, or even Chevy for that matter. No round tail lamps, nothing. Then across the showroom floor Chevy wants to tout the "Heritage" HHT as a salute to its original Suburban? Come on , call it a PT Cruiser rip off. Heritage should be as important to the Impala as it is to the Corvette. When somebody writes Bob Lutz Bio , these years at GM will surely be a low point. Cobalt,G6,GTO, all the new Buicks,.....the disappointments just keep coming under Lutz. Bill C.
  • jem1jem1 Member Posts: 1
    Im taking delivery of my Impala SS Silver/Ebony... LOADED w/ all the fixins!
    Lease price is $412/mo for 36mo/12kmiles/zerodown... Anyone have a lease price to compare?
    Congrats.. what was the lease rate?
  • ljm43ljm43 Member Posts: 5
    I am new to this site. I was researching my rights when I stumbled across this. Four years ago my husband & I bought the 2002 Chevy Impala-our very first new car....we loved it....he wanted to trade it in when we had it three years but the style hadn't changed so we waited. On aug 17 we bought the 2006 Impala SS. We don't even have the car two weeks & this is the second time it is in the shop. We are VERY upset. If you go over a bump or hit the brakes hard it stalls out on us. Today my husband was driving it & it stalled in the middle of a busy street & he couldn't get it started again. We were just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
    Err... Ummm... yeah. You're gonna hate this but....

I'm paying sticker for a loaded SS. The sticker here in "LA - LA Land" (Thousand Oaks, Ca.) is $31k and change. I'm trading in my '01 Impala LS with 137k miles on it and the dealer is giving me $4,200.00 for it. In addition, I'm dumping about three grand in cash into the drive offs on a 3 year lease.

My monthlies, including 20k miles a year are in the high $200.00 range, including tax.

I must confess, I am an Insurance Agent with a major national carrier. I own my own agency, and yes, there are some rate perks that come with the job. I also have a clean DMV record, I am a non smoker, I get a multi car discount, and I obviously have my home, rental property and life insurance all with the same company. In addition, my wife is a school teacher and therefore qualifies for an extra "Affinity Group" discount.

In short, my monthly payment, including insurance is only in the mid $300's! That's why I did it! My colleagues are all driving "luxo rides" to convey image. My SS is black on tan. It looks cool, it's a conservative 4 door sedan and based on all the feedback I got from all of you in earlier posts, it looks professional enough to use for work.

In the meantime, I'm saving hundreds of dollars a month vs the near $1,000.00 a month payments (plus insurance) my buddies are making!

In fact, the money I'm NOT spending on a "luxo ride" continues to go toward business development and marketing of my agency! I should also mention....
    my agency is larger than most too...
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    GMC will be the last to learn how to build a safe car and a car that gets good mileage. GM cares only about racing and eating up fuel.
    Too bad about your car but it sounds like just an adjustment is needed. Hopefully it's resolved soon. With a new car and new engines, there is bound to be a couple of hiccups in a few cars.
  • typhon1991typhon1991 Member Posts: 64
    Engine is not new. They have been using the DOD 5.3L since 2004 in the EXT Trailblazer as an option. We have had very few problems and GM has roadtested that engine up to 150000 miles.
    “But... 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds? The car scoots along pretty well, but it just didn't feel "that" fast! Felt more like upper 6 seconds.

Sub six second 0 to 60 times are the natural habitat of some seriously fast cars”

CD test result numbers for the GXP:

5.7 --- 0-60
    14.3/98mph --- 1/4 mile
    143 top speed
    .82 g lateral
    174 ---70-0 braking

- Ray
    Not ready for 143, but 14.3 and 5.7 sounds like what my “butt dyno” reads . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There are actually two types of position detectors - for front airbag activation, and for side airbag activation. Impala has only the detector for front airbag activation. See Honda's discussion of its system for deactivating side air bags for vulnerable riders.
    I wasn't talking about the 5.3L specifically though it is fairly new still. The 3.5L VVT and 3.9L are both new as is the Impala as a whole (only 25% carryover).
  • ljm43ljm43 Member Posts: 5
    They are telling us it is the module(spelling?) (the main computer). It will take at least three days to get the part...I don't know with the long weekend when I will get the car back. We are driving a rented car that Chevy is paying for but we are not happy. Some people that I talk to tell me I should tell Chevy that we want a NEW car others are saying to wait & see what happens now. I am so overwhelmed I don't know what to do. Meanwhile with school starting next week this has been a huge inconvenience, exactly what we were trying to avoid in the first place.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I dont know how it is in Canada, but in the US, every single Camry trim line has available Side and Curtain Airbags. Check out the IIHS.org website... the tested model was a XLE 4cylinder, not a V6. (For 2006, more Camrys will be available with side curtains... expect to see the majority of LE 4s, for example, with the option).

~alpha