Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    Sob...now I know how the 1996 Impala Owners felt when they first saw the 2000 Impala.

I own a 2000 Impala and looking at the 06, it just isnt even close to appealing. Looks like a bigger less blocky Malibu.

But in the end, I must admit that with that big engine, I will be in line to get one. dieing to see the interior and some engine bay pictures. One more thing, I am wondering if they will still offer a police package Impala, and if so it has to pass the 25 Miles at Wide Open Throttle test, which engine will they qualify for that test?
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    ...like they took a 2004 Impala and overinflated it by 15 psi.

Turboshadow
    The chevy website has complete pics of the new impala, and after seeing the engine options and interior shots, it really is a world of difference. The new Impala SS really makes up for the lack of engine power chevy gave us for the last 5 years on the older impalas. Just wondering what the pricing will be like.

It will be kinda nice to have a V8 in an Impala again, and nice to actually show up some kid with a coffee can strapped to his tail-pipe.
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    Tell me. Doesn't that look like Honda Accord (front end) with Accord front grill and headlights?
    I didnt mind some people saying the 00-05 Impala's were ugly, at least they were distinct and you didnt mistake one for being something else. But the 2006 Impala's are just soooooooo Camry-Accord-pickanyotherimport-ish.

Never thought my 2000 Impala would be called good looking, but at least at wont be called Honda or Toyota like the 06 Impala will. Damn, I need to move to Australia, those Holden's really look sharp compared to GM North America's cars.
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Can you please show that Chevy link for the Impala pictures? I went to http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/ and couldn't find the '06 pictures. Thanks
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    YOu have to go to future vehicles to see the pics of the '06 model. This car is MUCH better than the last generation car. If you think this looks like a camry then you obviously arent someone who pays attention to detail. The old car was more distincitve but it cant compare to this one in terms of refinement.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This vehicle looks like it will be a substantial improvement over the older model. Styling is much enhanced, inside and out, and hopefully, the interior materials and fit and finish will be as good as they appear in the photos.

Side Head Curtain airbags are standard, thats a big plus. However, I can't exactly tell if Side Chest airbags will be optional on the LS and LT, as they are stated optional (it seems) only for the LTZ (didn't check the SS).

Also, will the 3.9L Variable Valve Timing engine be available at least on the LT? I personally dont like leather (std. on LTZ), and itd be a shame to reserve this newer, better engine for only the LTZ version.

Finally, the current Impala isnt a great car, but its not a bad one either. As this new model approaches, I can only imagine the deals will be even better on '05s. Either way, the consumer wins.

~alpha
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I wish it had the Chevy bar accross the front grill but otherwise this car is a winner. Interior looks competitive and dare I say even better than most any midsize car. Ya it's a bit bland but so are most cars in this class. The LTZ with the 3.9L VVT would be what I would buy no doubt.

Good work Chevy!!!!!!! Maybe I will trade in my Intrigue in a couple of years for one.
    Yea, thats a big dare there buddy. The interior certainly looks competitve, but not class leading. The Five Hundred and 300s have fairly decent looking interiors, made of good quality materials. I'd call this interior, based on pics only, near/at that level, but not above. A few trim lines of the new 280 horse Avalon will also compete with the likes of the LTZ, for example, and that interior looks a lot more upscale.

~alpha
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    My thoughts: Interior looks good, though I'd like to see one with the non-SS (wood dash) interior. All the carbon-fiber or whatever that is, is not really my style. The little Impala logo on the passenger dash is a nice touch. As for the exterior, the rear looks pretty nice, especially in non-SS trim with the chrome bar on the trunk lid. The front is the part that disappoints me. It just looks too much like a '95 Lumina. It's not ugly, but come on. The current Impala has a more imposing and classic looking front end. They could have done something more evolutionary. And somebody tell Lutz that big grilles are back in style.

Overall, a pretty good effort. The redesign is more extensive than I thought it would be. Makes me wonder how far away the RWD Impala is. They wouldn't have gone to such lengths for a restyle if the RWD was coming in MY2008, as rumors have been suggesting.

-Andrew L
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Yep, in six months after the introduction, I can see GM giving away BIG rebate to move this piece of junk. GM will continue to lose market shares against imports. When will they ever learn? The new design already looks outdated......They slapped bunch of parts from Camry, Accord, and Lumina and came out with this???!!
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Impala sales increased 8% in 2004, over 290,000....thats pretty decent for a 6 year old style.The Impala is General Motors top selling car name plate...People love the Impala heritage, fleet companies love the Impala for size and value. This 2006 is a huge leap in refreshening. 3 new engines, with DOD. New front/rear fascia, new exterior mirrors, jewel type head lights, new wheel styles, 18" wheel options, V8 engine, complete new interior, a couple new colors, black interior option, what can else could you want just for a MILD REFRESHENING as GM calls it...I think the front end will grow on people but the back end of the car does not have the heritage of Impala. The light sequence should have been established somehow there......GM said they spent $250 Million in this refreshening of the Impala/Monte Carlo........I think its a snap shot of next generation of Impalas to come in 2008-09.......I haven't seen a refreshening so extensive as this in many years of a car model... AN AMERICAN REVOLUTION!!!
    For the 2 years people on this forum and other Chevy forums have been complaining about the current Impala....1) No V8 engine....6 cylinders suck!..NOT NOW 303 HP this new SS will smoke any previous stock Impala SS including the 94-96 SS Impala tug boats....2) The interiors are so plain!.......Not now rich new fabrics, wood grain dash for the LT, LTZ, and Nickle Chrome accents for the SS....nice looking gauges! what else could you want?.....3) Other cars are offering larger wheels!.....Well now you can have your 17" and 18" wheels...like everyone else...4) When many saw the headlight treatment on the C6 Corvette they criticized it...when they saw the car in real they all shut up! the front of the new Impala is a lot different, you can't please everyone, but it is better then the cartoonish happy face that we currently have on our Impalas....its bolder, wait until you see it in real. You might even like it hvan 3. I like bolder...If you think that they have slapped accord, camry, and lumina (front) on the new Impala don't worry about it, you don't have to buy one, you don't have to like it, buy something else...but I believe a year from now the Impalas will be still marching out the door like they are now whether your happy or not....just watch!....
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Finally a modern and competitive Chevy sedan!!

The Lumina and current Impala were both out of date when they hit the street. This car looks great inside and out. Chevrolet sales were higher this year thanks to the Malibu, Aveo and Cobalt. Should continue in 2005.
    But its worth noting that 24% of GMs Sales in the US were to fleet customers. And the sales increase, I believe of the Impala especially, had to do with this figure. Nobody's buying the Impala because its in demand, or a great car, so dont be fooled by the spike. Its a decent car available with huge rebates, and a darling of rental and corporate fleets.

~alpha
    alpha 01 You have been posting on this forum for a long time, interesting you must like the Impala, otherwise why are you here! Come on now tell the truth!....otherwise you have a lot of time on your hands....Its a great car, come on say it!!! I DO LIKE THE IMPALA....OK' I DO LIKE THE IMPALA" See that was't hard there you go!! ALPHA 01.........ITS AN AMERICAN REVOLUTION!!
  • bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi Hvan3,

When you go to the LA Auto Show this weekend, can you give your impression of the new Jetta's body style vs the new Impala?

I saw a clip this morning from the LA Auto show, but I came in the middle of the broadcast. They just unveiled the new Jetta, and it's longer. I think side curtain air bags, and around 18K. Maybe more luxurious. The glance I saw made it look more like a Camry/Accord, also. Would like to hear an opinion as how that compares to the new Impala body style.

I could be confusing the Jetta with the newly redesigned Mazda 6, but one of those two had a 5cylinder engine and +250horsepower.

Looking forward to your pictures and your comments after the show.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    I would have to agree with many in this forum that the 2006 Impala looks like a mix of 95 Lumina (smallish grille-opening, bow-tie emblem) and recent Toyota Camry. And the tail-lights are off a Maxima correct? I don't know how the front of the M/C looks (have only seen a 3/4-from-the-rear pic) but I hope it's not like this Impala. Even though I am glad that there will be an available V8, it's FWD and it's just not the same. I'll keep my 66 SS. Still waiting for the return of RWD Impala.

Speaking of styling, is it me, but doesn't a lot of GM's new crop look very Toyota - Acura - Chrysler-ish? If you take a look at the rear of the Cobalt, the outer taillights-quarter panel section looks like they were lifted from the Neon. The rear deck is definitely taken off the Cavalier. And the wing on the SS is a bad mix of an WRX STi/EVO.

I swear the G6 coupe and convert are dead ringers for the Toyota Solara coupe/convert. And from a 3/4-rear look the coupe could also pass as an Acura coupe.

The Impala, already stated it. The HHR, PT Crusier-ish from the A-pillar back. The La Crosse, isn't the front-end a Lexus - Mercedes combo?

Hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes here and if I offended anyone, I apologize; that was not my intent. I do like the interior and overall improvements GM has been making, but I think the exteriors of most of their products are someone else's Kind of like how most of the new Fords under J. Mays are re-hashed Volkswagens / Audis.
    The new Impala has the looks of the Maxima, Toyota, Honda, (old Lumina) etc......if that isn't a smart business move!...This new Impala then has something for EVERYONE!! Lets not forget....GM says this is just a mild refresh.......the next generation Impala is coming in 2008-09 on the Zeta platform. Watch for 6 speeed auto, AWD option and up to date Corvette power! ....the back lights of this car are definetly Holden....but have lost the old Impala heritage. I think thats a mistake....they should have worked in the three light sequence somehow....
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Well - not thrilled with it in pics, but not turned off either. If it's just a refresh, a stop gap between old and Z platform, it will do.

Have 101k on my 01LS, have to pull the trigger on something this year. Any idea on how price on

LZ shapes up, esp in comparison to a 300, just under the C level.
    There is a mixed bag of styling cues on this 06 Impala but who cares, it works ok and the interior looks great. Impala / Oshawa quality has been extremely good so this car just has to do better than the current dated model.

Personally I like it more with each look. My only reservation is the grill which needs a Chevy bar!
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I agree the front end loops very similiar to an Accord. The tail end looks like it came from Mitsubushi (Lancer?).
    If you go to Google....then to...chevrolet news..then chevrolet impala monte carlo to get v8's for 2006 the (clicklast page) it shows a great shot of the interior of the 2006 SS in black.....nothing to complain about this!!
    Correction on that last post......after chevrolet news....click... GM inside news forums-chevrolet.....then chevrolet impala montecarlo to get v8s for 2006 (click last page)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The 3.5L Engine isn't the same one that's in the Malibu and G6. That 3.5 is a bigger version of the old 3400 that's in the Rendezvous and Equinox. The 3.5 in the Impala is a smaller version of the 3.9L, which means it has VVT and all the other goodies.
    Right right. Its an American Revolution! Of sales to rental fleets!

In all seriousness though, I think the new Cobalt looks to be a fine small car, and I'd like to see GM do well with it. I feel the same way about Impala for the larger class, as long as the prices are sane and the vehicle isnt pushed off to fleet sales. With decent powertrains, good interior materials quality, and a good ride/handling compromise, I think its possible.

And no, I dont have a lot of time on my hands, I just spend way too much of a scarce resource on edmunds!

:P

~alpha
    Alpha 01: I'm just pushing your buttons!.... Major improvements on the front and rear brakes....New stronger boxed frame rails in the engine compartment to handle increased torque.....more sound deadening throughout the car.Major improvements to the suspension for better handling and quiteness & smoothness...new quiet steel used (similar to ford) new revamped power steering pump. Stronger sway bars...ENGINE TORQUE numbers...3.5....220 ft lbs......3.9...245 ft lbs....5.3......3.23 ft lbs....... TIRES: on the SS......P 235/50 18" (performance) Goodyear Eagle RS-A......and dozens of other improvements over the old Impala I haven't got time to list.......The Impala will be available early Summer, the Monte Carlo in the early Fall.....
    Interesting! The ignition key is back on the steering column......I liked it on the dash of the current Impala...
    I agree, key hole should be on the dash. It's a lot easier to get the key in. I have it on my Intrigue.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Totally agree with you. The three tail-lights on both sides are an Impala trademark, starting from when it was introduced in 1958. It helped distinguish it from the Bel-Air and other models. Even the 1959 "cat eyes" tail lamps had discreet molded vertical lines in them that broke the tail lamp up into three sections. As on the 1966 Caprice, it had the three-lamp treatment, but it had horizontal lines, again a caprice trademark and a way to distinguish it from the Impala.

But then again, so was V8, RWD, room for 6, 7 in a pinch, plus three in the trunk...
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    I'll reserve final judgement until seeing this car in Detroit. A couple of things: I don't think introducing this car in black was a mistake: there is a somehow bad and 'bald' and more masculine look to the front hood and lights of this car that lightly evokes the new 'vette. While similar to the all-too-familiar Lumina, this styling is more angular and angry.

The rear lights... we all are entranced by those 3 circles of old. Could it be Chevy is trying to evoke the '55 Chev's upright, conical-triangular tail lamps???

To a degree, this car does seem to want to blend in, as opposed to beat its chest and stand out, a la Charger and 300C. But I see alot of subtle moves that set it apart.
    In America when someone says the name Impala what comes to mind to most over 30 is the Chevrolet Impala, and asking to describe an Impala, what comes to mind to most are the six lights at the back, that seperates it from all other cars. 1958-1969 Impala signified Americana. I was there in the 60's when my dad had Impala's and the neighbors had them.I was the proud owner of a 63 Impala SS..we always drove the cars in the driveway frontwards so everyone could see they were not driving the lesser Belair or Biscayne model that had only 4 round lights...we were proud owners of the top of the line chevys... Millions of proud Americans bought these cars with the great body lines, chrome and stainless trim, and of course those 6 tailights at the back. Chevy ran great commercials and ads back then making owners proud to own an Impala, EVERYONE knew an Impala just by looking at the back of the car, you could tell one blocks away....When the 2000 Impala came out there were all kinds of complaints that only 2 round lights per side were on the back. Well most got over it but you could still tell this was a full size Chevy...it had the markings....This 2006 Impala is a different story. GM calls it a mild refresh. I have read of the many improvements and they are impressive but!!!....Nobody today in America would know this is an Impala unless they walked up to the trunk and read the word Impala. Some might say its time to move on (to more Holden) but I say then call the car something else....They could have worked two or three round light sequence somehow into the corners where they have the lights now...and kept the Impala heritage in tact....when I am driving an Impala I want people to know its an Impala, (without saying what is that car? Lets get close and see what its called) a car with a great history, and heritage. Millions of owners, 48 years of history, and mostly because of 6 little round tailights.
    Who really cares what the old Impala's looked like. After all it is 2005 and the last generation impala had little to do with the old RWD models.

Many cars in today's industry sahre design cues so it is stupid to suggest that only GM borrows from its competitors when styling a new car. The Impala looks better than any Camry or Accord and personally I dont think it resembles other cars in this class. The interior is much better and the powertrains are plenty powerful so I dont see how this car wont be succesful. For those who think the new avalon will outclass the impala need to remember the Avalon will be more expensive and will compete with the new Buick Lucerne. I dont think its unrealistic to expect the new Avlon to top out at $35K or more. I wuld expect the Impala to go up to $31K or so fully loaded.
    I am not trying to turn the clock back here but, You say "who really cares what the old Impalas looked like" I DO!! and millions of others. The older Impalas are probably the most sought after full size collector cars today in America. 6 lights on the back means Impala, or even the 94-96 ss and the 00-05 have the styling cues that say Impala..Go to a couple of the hundreds of collector shows across the country every year or a Super Chevy show (if you are a TRUE CHEVY GUY) ...I don't want to be driving down the street in a 2006 Impala and people yelling to me what kind of car is that? Is that a Honda or Toyota? I will have to say get behind me and read name on the trunk! This guy 1487 says all cars are to look like the competitors.."OH THATS BORING"....if it had those 3 round tailights in the corners (current 2006 model) people would know with those lights and that gold bowtie on the trunk I'm driving an IMPALA! If I am going to spend $31 on an IMPALA I want EVERYONE to know its an IMPALA! not a cookie cutter HONDA OR TOYOTA like 1487 suggests they should all look like!!
    I couldnt care less about the styling of previous generations of Impala, personally. I tend to agree with 1487 on that.

~alpha
    To each his own!
    Don't care for the old Impala so what Chevy has done here looks good for the most part. More modern and sell able to the masses which is what Chevy is all about.
    I like the new Impala too! Lots of Improvements over the 00-05..just thought one or two more styling cues would bring along a few more of the generation that the Impala most appeals to 35+...just like the 5300 V8 small block that is celebrating its 50th anniversary that is going into the SS.. Now that is Heritage!and that itself will sell to the nostalgia chevy fans!! a Chevy V8 that has roots right back to 1955....Still haven't figured out where they are going to drill the holes for the front license plate...that will really mess up the front end!
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    One thing: when Chevy does come out with the next iteration of RWD Impala, there will be alot of pent-up demand for it. Imagine the excitement if that model also sports a well-integrated expression of the 3 per side tail lamp scheme!

Maybe this transitional period of FWD is suited to having a 2 per side (more Bel Air/ Biscayne) look (yet also evoking Corvette: marque's halo model); and the 2006 triangular/wedge taillights are allowing a nod to even earlier Chevy (1955,'56, '57 pre-Impala) rear-lamp styling.

To me this shows that Chevy is current, quick on its feet and able to have fun with styling cues as well as move with the market and trends, not just slavishly beholden to MUST HAVE 3(round) taillights per side dogma. The car is so much more than that!
    bh628

When I went to the auto show, I had you in mind. I thought you wanted me to check out the new Passat. After reading your post again today, I realized you wanted me to compare the Jetta. Well, I didn't sit in the Jetta because I asked for the Passat. The lady said the Passat is not out till next year. Thus, I didnt' bother comparing the Passat (but now, I realized you wanted me to check out the Jetta). Anyway, it's odd to compare the Jetta to the Impala. Not remotely in the same class.
    Well guys. I had a chance to see the 2006 Impala SS at the LA Auto Show. Although the vehicle was sitting on the spinning platform, I was not able to walk on the turn table and see the Impala up front and personal. After what I have seen, I am very disappointed. If that's what GM has for a "fully loaded SS", I would hate to see what a strip down version will look like. The interior reminds me of Dodge Stratus that I used to rent while in Boston.

The only two GM vehicles that I like is the new STS and Pontiac Soltice.

Since I have written off the Impala 2006 on my shopping list, I decided perhaps I'll wait till 2006 and get 2005 Impala LS...this time with moonroof. Of course, this is only if Chevy decides to 'blowoff' their inventory with HUGE rebate. I think the 2005 Impala LS is a BIGGER bargain than what we'll see on the 2006. Besides, the 2006 is probably full of "bugs" to iron out. As a current owner a 2000 Impala LS, I know what it's like to have bugs in the first production year. So for next year, if I can get a 2005 Impala LS for $18K, I'll jump all over it.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marketbuy2002/album?.dir=/42a4

Here are the photos. I also have a video clip of the Impala SS.

Enjoy! (in this case, don't gag. hehe).
    The best car at the auto show was the new Infiniti M35/M45. Wow, what a great looking interior!!
    Maybe SS badging on the inside doors, or headrests. The seat material on the SS could have been two shades of Gray material to make it look sporty!..Should have been more interior colors offered other then only the two colors Gray & Tan on the LTZ & SS that is currently offer on the 2005's. The wheels on the SS could have been a little more aggressive/sporty looking!....I believe most liked the ignition key on the dash of the current 00-05 Impalas, now its back on the steering column. The front license plate bracket will probably be dealer installed and go on the right front and will really muck up the appearance of the front of the car. They are having the same problem with the Chevy SSR pickup (license)no decent place to put it ...This DOD offers up to 12% fuel savings on the 5.3 V8....that doesn't seem like much once you factor in the cost to build in this feature....I I read the Dodge Hemi- with DOD has up to 20% fuel savings (someone correct me if I am wrong)......I think a lot of little changes on this car could go a long way to major improvements!!! just my opinion
    Actually, thoese Impala pictures make me like the car a little more as I can see some better details. thanx!
    I would never buy the '05 model over this one, I dont care how many rebates GM offers. The interior on the current model is horrible. The new one looks much better any way you look at it. I am glad GM doesnt do the retro thing too often like some other companies. The Impala needs to remain a modern sedan to compete with Accords and Camrys.
    ......The 2006 model as you know will be using seating materials that are far superior to the older Impala, and more padding where needed for the seats. Better ride quality, and much improved fit and finish (the best in Chevrolet history) ...and hundreds of other improvements to the car too many to list...the 2005 Impala is a nice car but the 2006 Impala has raised the bar to the next level! At this point if I was replacing my Impala I would not be looking at a 2005...rebates or not!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I love my 2000 Imapala LS. When I rented a 2005 base Impala last month, wow what a big difference in ride quality. The 2005 felt more "stable" and the fit and finish seems to be better also. I really like the current design vs. the new wanna be me too Japanese import. I waited 6 years for a redesign Impala, and this is all that GM has to offer? No thanks!
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I really don't see much Japan in the new Impala. Looks very American to me. I would never look at it and think it was anything but a Chevy.