Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Edmunds has done a full road test of the 2006 Impala SS. They indicate that the Impala is 9.3" longer them an Accord but less then half inch better leg room front/rear. The Impala also has a wheelbase 2.6" longer then the Accord. The gas mileage numbers are poor, check them out, Edmunds. Motor trend also indicates poor fuel economy with the SS. The LTZ is probably a better all around value. Just my opinion.
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I realize that you don't HAVE to use premium, but I'd I like to talk to someone who owns one to get the real world figures. Using regular grade fuel will probably cause the computer to serve up a less efficient engine management program, due to pinging, which will result in lower mileage figures. Any savings by using the regular fuel will be lost. When magazines such as Motor Trend and even Edmunds give mileage figures, they are figures based on their aggresive driving tactics, including drag strip times, 0-60 runs, slalom runs, panic stops, road course speed runs, etc., etc. . . . Not "normal" driving situations by any measure. Do you own an SS? If so, have you checked your mileage for day to day driving situations? Anyone out there have any info? :confuse:
  • ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    Quick question for the '06 Bose Premium upgrade owners: Did you receive a separate "Bose Owner Manual" supplement?

I've seen one or more references to this manual (e.g., see p. 14 in the "Getting to Know Your 2006 Impala", which is like a quick start guide). My salesman says he's never seen a separate Bose manual delivered with the Impala, and referred me back to this quick start guide.

Just trying to determine if there is one, and whether I need to call GM myself to get it.
  • tina5tina5 Member Posts: 11
    I didn't get a seperate manual for the Bose system either.

Quick question to you: Do you also have the static noise at low volume on the Bose radio ? Many people complained about it and I can hear it on my radio too.
    Thanks tina5. I get the hiss too, see my prior post (#825) in this forum.

I rarely have it that low, as I usually have it at more normal mid-volume levels.

Anyone else get a separate Bose supplement? Trying to figure out if there actually is one. Thanks.
  • mike7ywmike7yw Member Posts: 7
    I also have an 06 Impala LT with the Bose system and I didn't get a Bose supplement. My dealer said he has never seen one. Guess we are on our own. By the way, I really love the Bose system. I have the upgraded stereo with the 6 CD changer and XM radio. It's great! Very clean sound.
    Edmunds test of the Impala SS. They indicate that they did the fuel mileage test....."heavily weighted to highway driving" 18.6 mpg......"stop and go city driving" 14.7 mpg.....they don't use the performance testing 0-60 etc, as part of their mileage calculations. If worrying about fuel economy is a concern then a pruchasing decision has to be made.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Just read the earlier posts about seats in the new Impala...happened to visit my cousin who has driven several Impalas over the past few years as work cars. I drove up in my 2000 model, and he had a new 2006 LT (with the 3.9l engine) in the driveway, so we started doing comparisons. The only complaint he had was about seating; said back seat leg room was tighter than the previous model, and he said the front bucket seats are too flat. He said he preferred the previous model seat which has more of concave surface...he compared the seat in the '06 to that of a Taurus. I didn't get a chance to sit in/drive it, but if you're moving from a 2000-2005 model to the new one as he was (and I likely will be down the road), you might pay attention to those items.
    Overall the 2006 Impalas are a huge improvement over the previous models but there are still a few glitches.....almost every road test that I have read indicates more lateral support front seats are needed especially in cars with leather......Check out the Monte Carlo SS front seats and the Pontiac GXP front seats on the GM websites. huge improvement over the Impala SS front seats. Also the brakes are basically a carryover except an additional piston on the rear ones.....the new Impala is over 100 pounds heavier then previous models and the braking numbers are not too impressive. The 2006 Impala took 138 feet from 60 mph to 0..thats last by todays standards. Police Impala testing indicated 151 feet from 60 mph to 0. That would result in a poor rating. Maybe in 2007 a few of these issues will be addressed. I just read the latest Consumers reports for the 2006 cars/trucks and the Impala is now off the reccommended list. The only Chevy car reccommended was the Malibu Maxx. Interesting!
    Competition today is much more aggressive then ever before. When this new Impala came out back in the summer many car testers were impressed. Since then, other new 2006 models have now been tested the Impala falls to the middle or back of the pack in its segment. Though major improvements have been made to this new Impala other car makers have not been sitting still. GM better keep improving their models every year to stay fresh, not like the 6 model years the previous Impala ran without major changes/improvements. You just can't do that today and stay competitive. Check out these tests of 2006 cars..... www.ajac.ca
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I've decided to pass on the 2006 SS. It wasn't an issue of gas mileage, although it is definitely poor when compared to the performance factor. The 5.3 has power, but with the front drive, it's scarry! It's got the worst case of torque steer that I've ever encountered. The SS would be a great car if they had gone rear wheel drive. 300+ horsepower does not make a performance car by itself. This car is NOT fun to drive. I was very disappointed. That said, . . . I'll be buying the 3LT. It's definitely not a performance car, but it will make a nice family cruiser.
    Update: Finally got tired of guessing and called GM customer service. They had to research it for a day or two and called back. Their answer is that the Bose Owner Manual Supplement mentioned in the other owner materials does not exist.

This was disappointing stupid given the other printed references to it, but I guess that's their "final answer". At least it explains why none of us or the salesman have ever seen one.
    After having driven in three snow storms in the past 2-3 weeks, I've been impressed by the '06 3LT's winter handling.

Traction control really helps. From a dead stop, the front wheels still slip, but it's more controlled and you get moving traction. With TC off, the front wheels just free spin and you don't go anywhere. Definitely a noticeable difference. ABS, of course, is a wonderful thing in the snow. My other car has it too, and wouldn't ever buy another one without it.

Negative commenters about the Impala being big and heavy should consider that a blessing snow. The car feels very surefooted (with proper driving, of course). I've seen other cars slide into curbs in front of me on turns where the Imp just kept on going where I wanted.

Indeed, I've noticed the Imp's driving feel is very similar to the late 90's Lumina/Monte Carlo line, so those who have compared it to the Lumina should feel a bit vindicated. Again, that's a good thing in my book, as those were very surefooted cars in snow as well.

So, while others are dissing GM for not making the most "trendy" looking car, so far, I think they've made one that is very easy to drive, with very good winter manners. With that said, I'm looking forward to when GM finally adds stability control. I'll take all the safety features I can get.
    The 2000-05 Impalas are basically the same size as the new Impala, and also have ABS & Traction control available. They handle about the same as the 2006 car does.

I believe the new Impala is a big leap from the past car, but the competition is giving it a run for its money.
    Thanks charts2, this is my first Impala. Agreed that the Asian models are eating GM's lunch and dinner.

One look at the upcoming 2007 Camry (available in early 2006) ought to make the Big 3 very worried indeed. I just bought the Impala, but the redesigned Camry was the first car that made me wonder if I should've waited a few months. It looks sleek and very Lexus-like.

Then I remembered the Impala's standard OnStar and remote start features, which are currently unique to the Impala in comparison. I love having both. Will be interesting to see if the new Camry has a remote start option, but OnStar is definitely a GM thing. Also love the noticeably larger trunk and flip and fold seats. Sounds like the new Camry is about the same size as its predecessor.

Having gone through a bitter cold spell with temperatures hovering around zero for nearly a week with cars covered with snow and ice, the remote start with automatic window defrosting is truly a wonderful feature. Costs a little in the gas mileage department to idle for 10 mins, but sure makes cleaning off the car much easier, and is gentler on the engine to warm it up before jumping on the freeway. Not to mention that as I have the cloth seats (no bun warmer ;) ), it's nice to get into a warm car.

Which reminds me: The Impala's 3.9L engine warms up the fastest out of any car I've ever owned, bar none. The downside is the coarser engine note on acceleration, definitely not as pleasing as others. But GM makes pretty reliable engines, and if's it's durable, then the sound is a minor quibble.

In the end, I guess it's all about which trade-offs we want.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I received a 2006 LS as an Enterprise rental from the Dealer who is working on my car. It is virtually new: 126 miles when I picked it up. I have driven it about 15 miles – all in heavy rush hour traffic & mostly on Interstates.

A couple of initial impressions:

Mirrors are too small, as someone else indicated above.

The chrome trim rings with (very pale blue green) lights to indicate where the control (like heat amount, fan, etc.) may be interesting, from a styling perspective – but they made it very difficult to see. Staring down at the controls is not recommended in Atlanta traffic.

The seats (‘bench’) offer no lateral support.

The v6 is acceptably smooth in my driving thus far. But it certainly does not feel like over 200 HP. (Even accounting for the fact that I’m used to 303.)

The ride strikes me as neither good nor bad. Most bumps are felt, but muted.

I will be driving this to lunch and then back to the dealer.

- Ray
    Just 1 man’s very early impressions . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I think that engines warm up faster because of new emissions regulations in 2006. I love to have heating after driving just a couple of blocks. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Mirrors are too small, as someone else indicated above. "

After driving another 5 or 6 miles, I'll add that the shape (styling) also limits the usefulness of the outside mirrors.
    - Ray
    Who will be soooo glad to turn this back in for MY car . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    I haven't purchased yet, but it is coming down to these two cars. I've done several test drives in both cars including alternate versions of the same--LTZ, LS as well as the SXT in the Dodge.

I have a couple criteria:

1) Leg room

I'm 6' 4" and got into this game looking for leg room and good power as well as comfort. Overall I'd say the Charge, though the Impala is listed as a "full size", has more room. Leg room is practically the same, but there is more head room, shoulder room, etc. Also the back seat is roomier in the Charger for the family.

So the Charger gets the nod here.

2) Pricing

Chargers were selling for MSRP when they fist came out, but now they are coming down in price. My first offer was $600 over invoice and I would expect to get lower.

However, the Impala is selling right now below invoice and is priced lower from the start with more options. I seems the Charger has a lot of add ons that jack the MSRP. My comparison is the Impala SS with leather, block heater, polished wheels, Bose Sound, convenience package, $29995 MSRP going for $27003 with an additional 1,000 rebate.

Charger R/T with R/T performance package, convince group, Bose Sound, $33,095 MSRP. Invoice is $31,177 with the option of another 1,000 rebate if you take their financing which is higher than I could get.

Is there 3,000 in value difference here?

Impala SS might do OK with value because they aren't fleet cars, buy the regular Impala will suffer for this. Charger will be rarer. But the Charger has more power and rear wheel drive is attractive even up in the North lands.

The R/T package is above and beyond, but really is only $500 because there are other options thrown in with it such as dual a/c one touch pwr windows, etc.

3) Handling

The Impala is smoother...much smoother than the Charger. However you can feel the weight up front compared to the equal weight distribution in the Charger. So even though it is rear wheel drive it does well in the snow and ice. Torque steer is an issue in the SS.

4) Interior

Impala is superior here. Charger is bone crusher hard on the arm rests, and looks cheap in comparison. Radio might be better in the Charger, but both are exceptional.
    5) Milage

Charger R/T owners are saying they are getting what is advertised even with limited break in. Impala SS owners are reporting much less than the EPA numbers.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    With the extreme cold this week I have notice my neighbor has been starting his Malibu and hoping in his warm car 10 minutes later. What a great feature, well worth the gas!
    I drove the SS again and noticed I was getting 20 MPG average on the highway doing 75MPH driving both with and into the wind. I reset each time using the computer.

In town was 17 plus with little idling.

These V8s idle on 8 right?
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    Yes they idle on 8 cylinders.

Your 20 mpg is a bit low, my GXP will get 21.5mpg at 80mph on the interstate. This is over the course of a full fuel tank run. No stopping, no town traffic, strictly interstate travel at 80mph. I would think the SS would do the same.

Mike :)
  • scauerscauer Member Posts: 13
    Is anyone else experiencing very rough idle down around 6000 rpms or so? It doesn't usually happen when the car is in park or neutral (rpms usually up around 7500 then), but when I'm stopped with the brake on, after a few seconds it starts to get really rough.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    Enjoying the car for 3 weeks now. 1400 miles. Appears to get pretty close to the 21/31 MPG advertised. Only think I have noticed is during some (~15%) starts it take a little longer to crank before startings. May need stronger ignition/starter components as one review pointed out in the consumer reviews. Those are interesting to read. There are 29 of them. I ordered it and I took deliver exactly 6 weeks to the day. Would like Edmunds to have a TMV for extended warranties in the future. I haven't bought yet but may before the 3/36000 warranty expires. Car prices used to be secret before the internet but I still think extended warranty prices are kept secret. I probably will buy one that gets the warranty out to 6/72000 or 7/84000. There is no place that says what the invoice price for this is from GM.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Car prices used to be secret before the internet but

Actually they weren't "secret" before the "internet."

I used to buy a book that came out quarterly at the full magazine stores. It gave the dealer cost and retail. One was published by a company called Edmunds. There were some others.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    I've had my SS for about 3 weeks now, and I've mostly been driving it to work and around town (about 500 total miles). My salesperson told me the car runs on regular gas, but I read in the owners manual that Chevy recommends 91 or higher. It does say that it will run on 87 but you will lose some power. I can't wait to try 93, because this car is really fast with the 87 !!!

However, the car is not getting the mileage I expected. I've been averaging about 14.2 around town and I averaged about 23.4 today on a 45 mile highway jaunt at about 68 mph. I also tend to drive quickly part of the time. I'm going to try 93 gas next tank, and see if the MPG improves at all.

Otherwise, I absolutely LOVE the car. I haven't noticed much torque steer, and I certainly haven't been "scared" by the car. TO ME, the car is definitely fun to drive. I'm not taking it to the local cone lined parking lot and trying to out-run BMW's around the track, I'm just driving around town and on the highway. But the car just feels planted and it sticks to the road. When you try to take a sharp curve at high speed, you can feel the weight, but I think for what it is (large family sedan) it handles great.

John
    Others have said the manual says 89.

Where I live 87 and 89 are the same price...but 89 has 10% ethanol added in.
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    My manual recommends 91 octane for the 5.3 liter. This I know for sure because I just read it last night, and I read it very carefully to make sure I was seeing it right. It does say that 87 will work fine with a reduction in power and a possible engine knock. I've been running 87 with no knock and what seems like PLENTY of power. I'm just disappointed in the mileage. I'm going to let this tank get real low, and then fill it up with 93 to see if it makes a difference.

I'll post my results in a week or so when I've driven on the 93 for a while.

John
    Nothing like an owner to set the record straight!

Thanks John, look forward to it!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There are plenty of dealers who sell GM's Major Guard warranty over the Internet. The one I've seen quoted most often is a Pontiac-Cadillac dealer in Pennsyvania - http://www.gmoutlet.com - but Google around for others.

(No I don't work for them, other than considering buying a warranty for my wife's '04 Envoy from them).

--Robert
    Here's a very good negotiating tactic re: GM's Major Guard:

- Get the quote from your dealer (which usually will be too high -- hey, that's their markup money maker if you don't know their margins).

- Call the folks at http://www.gmoutlet.com and ask for their lowest price (alternatively, you can give them your dealer quote and ask how much you were overbid). Keep those lower numbers handy.

- Call your local dealership back and tell them that you called another dealership (true) and that they gave you a much lower quote (also true). Tell them to match it or you're going elsewhere (regardless of the price quoted for the car itself). You do NOT and should not disclose the name of the other dealer. If they press too hard, tell them that's your business, not theirs, and walk out, intimating that you're heading over to a competing dealer.

Now watch the fun -- they know that you can buy a GM extended warranty from any GM dealer in the country within the original warranty period. They'd much rather make only a little money off you at the lower warranty price than see you walk altogether. And the key is NEVER be afraid to walk away or to tell them you'd walk as there's plenty of other dealerships drooling for your business.

I've seen dealerships "begrudgingly" agree to increase your trade-in value by a little, only to jack up the extended warranty price more than enough to cover the difference and add even more margin for them. So you lose, even with a higher trade-in.

Take away their power by negotiating hard for the lowest new car price first. Don't tell them about your trade-in yet, or they'll work it in against you. After that, then nail down the trade-in value next (print out the Kelley Blue Book value at kbb.com and bring it in to support your position).

Finally, when the trade-in price is locked in, hit them up with the lower warranty quote from above. They'll have all this time and work already invested in the deal, and won't want to jeopardize the sale by then for the difference.

By this point, they don't have much else to jack up in price on you because you've locked THEM in on the major stuff (unless you buy into all the dealer aftermarket and financial trappings like credit life insurance). Also, don't be surprised if they get more than a little frustrated with you by this point. Stand your ground and tell them you'll walk, even if it's only for a few hundred bucks, if they don't match the warranty price.

Works great.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Better yet wait til the car is in production for at least a year so they address any major problems and avoid buying the extended warranty altogether. They are only good for making money for the dealer since you will always lose with them in the long run although you might be glad you had it one time. Like going to Vegas.
  • rpholtrpholt Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 06' SS a little over a month ago. I've put 1330 miles on it so far, mixed highway and city driving. According to the in dash computer, I've averaged 16.3 MPG. Thats on 91 octane only. Thats not as good as I had hoped for, but maybe it will do better after its broken in a little more. Overall I love the car. :)
    Agreed as to first year models. Couldn't wait for the next model year this time around, so the warranty was a good way to hedge my bet. All it takes is one or two really big repairs to recoup the warranty cost, and I expect that sooner or later, something is going to go wrong on a new model.

Once I had a non-GM car that required extensive engine rebuilding. The problem was intermittent just before the extended warranty expired. I brought it in and had the dealership document my problem, even though they couldn't diagnose it at the time. A few thousand miles later, it got much worse. That was after the warranty had expired.

I brought it back in and claimed it was covered under warranty as I had reported it during coverage. Of course they tried to wiggle out of it, but got the manufacturer involved. In the end, they probably did over $2,000 worth of parts and labor under warranty, and my warranty cost far less than that. I also had a free loaner vehicle for some time while they were rebuilding it.

It was a second model year car, and found out later that a good number of owners experienced a similar problem with the engine. The manufacturer never did a recall.

I was sure glad I got that warranty, although I'll never buy another car from that manufacturer.
    I am not a big fan of extended warranties. There are many car manufactures now offer a much better standard warranty then the standard warranty the Impala currently offers of only 3 years or 36,000 miles. Extended warranties are big money makers for manufactures of all products from cars to vacuum cleaners. Today a well maintained car overall will not need an engine rebuild within 160,000 miles or more, however a very few exceptions occur. The best vehicle purchase is a 1 or 2 year old low mileage, well maintained Impala that can be purchased for 30-40% off original cost. An extended warranty can then be purchased and the remaining thousands saved for buying used instead of new could be invested. WIN WIN WIN!
    I purchased my 03 Imp LS in the low $17Ks after dealer discount, rebate and GM earnings so IMO a new factory order is the best value since you get the color and options you want plus the full warranty. With current rebates and GM earnings an 06 LS could be had in the low $18Ks.
    To each his own. I bought a brand new 2001 LS. After 1 or 2 years there are all kinds of low mileage loaded Impalas to choose from $9-$11,000. The 2006 LS is the base model now where the 03 LS was the top of the line. Most 2006 LTZs or SS cars come loaded anyway, and most colors are available. I would never buy new again. I hate paying the freight and extra taxes just to have new. The residuals on these cars are terrible but make used Impalas a buyers market. Most will still have factory warranties left and you have an option to buy an extended one if you want to. I will wait and buy a 1 year old 2007 SS. By then most of the bugs from the 06 cars will be worked out.
    You are mistaken since NADA says my 03 IMP has avg. retail of over $16K, not bad compared to the $17K+ paid. For $11k I could only get an 01, probably a base, from CarMAx in my neighborhood.

There are more scams on used car sales than new including higher interest rates, not to mention spinning the odo.
  • cptcpt Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving my 06' SS for almost 4 months, over 16,000 miles already. NO COMPLAINTS!!! I reset my average econ. at every fill up. On the weekend around town running a bit more aggressive, I average 16.5 - 19.5.
    During the week driving steady speeds across Indiana 55 - 65 mph, I average more like 22 - 24.5 mpg.
    Highway speeds of 70 to 80 I average 21.5 - 22 mpg.
    It's not bad economy for a small block V8 with "active fuel management."
    The key is to keep your foot out it, which is hard to do, why else would we buy an SS.

Clayton
    There are all kinds of posters on here from the last couple years indicating they had a very hard time selling their used Impalas for what THEY thought they were worth. Check out the Impala posts on the Impala sight. Kelley Blue book November 2005 says a 2003 LS in Good-Excellent condition loaded, a private listing would be in the range of $12,165 - $12,900. and trade in value in the same condition is $9,800-$10575...A buffalo newspaper two weeks ago had a listing of several 2002 & 2003 Impala LS cars $8,900 to $9,900. Next time you are at your chevy dealer ask them what they would give you for your 2003 LS. I think you will be very surprised. Good luck in trying to get $16,000 for a three year old Impala. Don't forget to ad the freight and taxes to your cost of the 2006 price.

Check any newspaper across America. They are loaded with used Impalas for sale like yours at give away prices, nowhere near what you think it is worth.

With so many new cars in the Impala segment, I hope GM keeps this new Impala fresh. Every year improvements have to be made, the competition today is more fierce then ever. This Hyundai Sonata is winning most of the awards in this segment. I am a chevy guy but accolades to a car company Hyundai that has been around for a short time and is kicking the stuffing out of its competion in quality/desirablility in the mid car segment. Check it out!
    My original post was:I purchased my 03 Imp LS in the low $17Ks after dealer discount, rebate and GM earnings so IMO a new factory order is the best value since you get the color and options you want plus the full warranty. With current rebates and GM earnings an 06 LS could be had in the low $18Ks.

Go ahead and "save" a few thousand on a used car if you can but consider the disadvantages in terms of use/abuse, odometer fraud, accident/flood damage, etc. No wonder dealers make higher profits on used cars than new!

Selling after 2-3 years is another issue that is irrelevant to me since I don't plan to sell it for 9-10 more years. So your argument about loss of value is irrelevant to me.

This is not a Hundai thread so I won't debate the Sonata.
  • wombmasterwombmaster Member Posts: 3
    Well, 3000+ miles and the gas mileage is still a whopping 21-22 on the highway. I called and bitched out the dealer and their response is as follows:
    1. It may take 6000-12000 miles for the engine to break in.
    2. Do you know how to fill the car up? He then proceeded to explain how to fill a car up. (All bs) :mad:
    3. Fill the car up at 100 miles, you may see an improvement. ( I obviously don't know how to divide)
    4. There is winterized (oxygenated) fuel which will lower your gas mileage. :cry:
    5. Your mileage should improve in April because thats when the oxygenated fuel will end for the winter run. :cry:
    6. At the end of the conversation, they tried to sell me some rain shields for the windows, what a class act, typical bottom feeding dealer.

This car is the worst car I have ever leased, we'll see what happens.
    Who in their right mind would pay $16,000 for a 3 year old Impala, with no warrantly left when as you say you can buy a brand new 2006 for only $1,000 more?? Doesn't make sense.

As I have stated in previous posts, GM better keep their fleet of cars/trucks fresh, more often then in the past. 6 model years was way too long with the previous model Impala with only minor changes. A lot of people change cars every three or four years and no one wants to buy exactly what they just traded in.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Back in 2002 I bought a used 2001 Malibu LS from Hertz in Albuquerque for about $12k as I recall. It had 28k miles on it and was in new condition. It now has 87k and has been the most dependable car I've ever owned. I'll order a new Impala LT in February. If I were still commuting, I'd definately buy another Malibu or Impala from Hertz, drive it two or three years and sell it and get another one. I used to commute 70 miles a day round trip. 2006 Impala rental cars will most likely be base LS models and I want an LT with the Bose sound system, traction control, ABS, etc. A 2005 Impala LS (upscale model in '05) runs about $14k. To me, it is worth the extra $7-8k to get a new one. I plan on keeping it 5-6 years and it won't have a third of its life gone when I buy it like the 30k mile ex-rental cars. Karl
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I've driven the new Malibu LS and Impala LS but my drives were a month or so apart so I can't remember differences. Both as I recall rode pretty smoothly. Has anyone driven them back to back and can provide some comparisons? Thanks - Karl
    Bought a 2001 LS brand new. Won't do that again. No rental/fleet unit for me either. I will wait a year after many of the bugs in the 2006 model are worked out and buy a 1 year old private, low mileage 2007 SS at the end of 2007. There basically loaded anyway. Hopefully in 2007 they will have upgraded the brakes,(last in its class in braking) and solved the stalling/hesitation problems worked out that have been reported, and maybe by popular demand put the PRNDL markers back on the floor shifter. The 2006 Impalas are light years ahead of the 00-05 Impalas, but the competition isn't sittng still either. You say a 2005 Impala LS in 2005 is worth only $14,000. Pluto5 says his 2003 Impala LS is worth $16,000 NOW.
    I am not defending GM's resale value; it's not of great importance to me since I plan to keep a new car 10+ years. But the bargains on used are mostly illusory IMO. Example from CarMax in my area similar car and mileage:
    '03 Chevrolet Impala LS 4D Sedan $15,998 Blue Automatic 6 33K Transferable/$400
    Why would you buy a used 03 when you can get a new 06 with a warranty for about $3K more?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've always looked at things this way...you can spend less money on a slightly used car, but by the same token there is a portion of the useful life of that car that has been used by someone else.

Even though most modern cars are capable of running well over 100k miles if properly cared for, for the most part by the time a car has @ 120k miles or so it isn't worth too much (there are exceptions of course, but for mainstream sedans that's probably a fair figure).

So in my mind, buying a new car for $20k and buying a used one with say 30k miles on it for $15k is a wash...the used car is 25% cheaper, but then again 25% of it's "life" is gone. So if you're planning to keep the car for 10+ years, it might make more sense to buy new, whereas if you trade frequently, you might be able to better justify buying a slightly used car and then trading it when it still has some value/life left in it.
    The 2003 Impala LS was the top of the line model. Many had leather, moon roof etc. Your new 2006 Impala is the base model, so your comparison should be with the 2003 base model Impala prices. The 03 LS is comparable today to the 2006 LT3-LTZ. 2003 LS $15,9888 is the asking price, so after negotiations, like you did on your new car a much lower price will be paid. Base 03s clean, decent mileage go for asking prices well under $12,000 on autotrader.ca and probably sell near $10,000 with a good negotiator, again similar to your 2006 LS base.

Most FIRST time car buyers trade long before their car is 9 or 10 years old. I am probably older then you and I trade every 4-6 years. As stated I bought a 2001 LS brand new. With so many decent used Impala LS cars and soon to be SS cars out there, a good negotiated price will allow me to buy an extended warranty if wanted, invest the rest or put improvements into my 1964 Impala SS, that has a lot more then 120,000 miles and many more to come.

The 2006 Impalas are definitely better buys today then the previous 00-05 models. Big improvements were made to the 2006 Impalas, but Chevy better keep these cars updated a lot more often then the previous models, and when problems arise address them immediately. We all rememeber the many problems that plagued the 00-05 models. cracked, body mounts, intake manifold leaks, warped rotors, Intermediate steering shaft problems, cheap interiors, etc etc. The mid/large size car market is the most competitive and right now Honda/Toyota still have the best grip on that. Chevy indicates they have reduced the number of Impalas going to fleet sales for 2006. Thats a good sign for new Impala owners who can retain a little more value over time. Used Impalas have the lowest rated resale value of any car in its segment.

The Impala is #1 selling used car in America. There must be some value, the numbers speak for themselves.