Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I will take a closer look at this when I see the car at the auto show. I do not recall any obtrusions but I was only in the back seat for a few seconds.

The 07 should have a lot of upgrades I would think. The Impala is a really impressive car in my eyes. Upgraded brakes, a 5 or 6 speed transmission and some other tweaks would make it even better.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    A lot of upgrades were made to this new Impala. They are sure spending a lot of $ on advertising to get the word out.

I am a little disappointed in the smaller exterior mirrors. I remember when the 00 model came out Chevy made it a point to indicate how large the mirrors were. Making them smaller for 2006 doesn't make sense. Its as if they cut the bottom third off of them. I read that they designed the new mirrors to cut down on wind resistance/noise.

Vanman1 when you get into the back seat of the Impala you will notice you cannot slide your feet a couple inches under the front seat at the widest point (as most people would do) as the previous model. When you get out your feet will hit these two pieces of cloth that go right to the floor on each end of the front seat. Its not a big deal but poorly designed.

More then likely the 2007 Impalas will offer 1 or 2 new exterior colours and adjust some of the option packages. I would like to see more side supported sport front seats in the SS, as they have in the Monte Carlo. A gauge package would sport it up a bit, as they had in the 04/05 Impala SS models. There is more talk that the future Impala will be rear wheel drive on the Zeta platform. 2009/10.....it will be interesting.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I had XM radio on a 2006 Toyota Solara that I only kept for a few months (compared to the Solara my 2001 Malibu rode like a Cadillac). I thought that I was going to recieve "talk free" music on the "60's" music channel but instead there was sort of a radio disc jockey announcing the songs. Frankly I'd rather hear straight music. I'm contemplating XM in the Impala I'm going to order. Did I just hit the wrong channel? Are there channels with nothing but popular music and no narration? Karl
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    All the music channels (but not the talk channels) are indeed commercial-free. However, on several of the channels they do have live DJs at various times/days, and you'll also hear promos for other XM programming from time to time (which are not "commercials" per se, since it's XM advertising XM).

Still, IMHO and YMMV, I think it's still FAR superior to any terrestrial radio programming available. And the fact that you now hear ads on terrestrial radio about pay vs. free tells you all you need to know about how terrestrial radio now considers sat radio a real, viable threat.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I read the subject review but couldn't believe what I saw. Edmund's says their test car was only able to do a 6.4 second 0-60 run. I'm wondering if this is a misprint. If not, I'm not gonna buy a new Impala SS if Chevy's lying about their 5.7 second 0-60 claim. Here's the Edmund's review:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=107952/pageNumber=1?s- - - ynpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/new/2006/chevrolet/impala/100550667/ro- - - adtestarticle.html&articleId=107952&tid=edmunds.e.roadtest.content...Chevrolet*
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    The car didn't get that time. The driver did.
    You can't guarantee that the 07 won't have some stuff taken away or put on option lists. The '02 Cadillac Deville base model was better equipped than my '03 base model.
    Point taken. However, in many past Full Test reports with other vehicles, Edmunds' drivers have gotten very close to, or slightly exceeded, other car manufacturer's 0-60 time claims. In this case, Edmunds' test car (driver) was 0.7 seconds slower, which, as you know, is a fairly significant time difference in a performance car. However, in this case, I'll give Chevy the benefit of the doubt. Has anyone seen any independent Impala SS test results that would back up Chevy's 5.7, 0-60 claim?
    Your right. The previous Impala models were no acception. Options were dropped and added. I do believe now that the 2007 Camry is out and looks like a winner, Chevy will be hard pressed to match options, quality, and performance to stay competitive. A few of the glitches on the 2006s will be tidied up for 2007. Camrys V6 will offer 268 hp. Don't be surprised if the horsepower isn't bumped up on the Impala 3.9 for 2007. Chevy is spending a lot of $ letting the public know that Chevrolet is the best selling brand in America.(first time since 1987) Chevy has to keep the rythm going.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Has anyone seen any independent Impala SS test results that would back up Chevy's 5.7, 0-60 claim?”

Car and Driver reported 5.7 for the GP GXP - identical drivetrain AFAIK – Oct 2005 issue:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9964&page_number- - =4

And I think MT tested the SS for their Car of the Year - with very similar results.

- Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cougar68cougar68 Member Posts: 3
    In reading the Edmund's test closely, I noticed they suggest that the 0 - 60 run was done with traction control active. I believe that most magazines publish performance results achieved in the manner most favorable to an individual car; i.e., with traction control off, if that improves times (as is usually the case with most cars, I believe). So, it may be that the Edmund's results do not reflect the car's true potential.
    5.7 seconds (chevys Numbers) to 6.4 seconds (Edmunds numbers) 0-60mph is about 2 car lengths difference....thats a big difference.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The 06 rear seat foot room is very tight to the point that I would not want to have to sit in the back for a long trip. This is a major shortcoming in a family car IMO. The previous model is roomier inside and the interior doesn't look much different to me.
    Now that I am at home, I found the test.
    The MT test results for the SS are on pg. 56 of the Jan 2006 issue.
    0 - 60: 5.7
    Quarter: 14.3 @ 97.7
    - Ray
    So very proud to have remembered so accurately . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tfulkerttfulkert Member Posts: 3
    I took a quick look at the review on the internet. C&D wrote (est) next to the 5.7. I have been researching the 0-60 times as well and think C&D and the others were just quoting the manufacturer's times.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I am seriously interested in the Impala SS but would desire the "manual automatic" if it is available in 07. i am now looking at the Grand Prix GTP but don't like the shifting paddles on the steering wheel. : (
    Numbers, numbers . .

At the time, I believe that when published, C+D had not yet had an opportunity to conduct instrumented tests on the SS. Thus the (est).

MT is the only published test results I have seen for the SS. (See above post.)

Again, with the exception of the Paddle Shift \ TAPShift \ manumatic capability, I believe that the driveline in the SS is identical to that in the GXP.

[[ Why do you not like the “shifting paddles on the steering wheel” ?? ]]

Motor Trend’s GXP numbers were:
    0 – 60: 6.0
    Quarter 14.3 at 98.1

And every other GXP published acceleration number I have seen have been comparable. ( 14.2 to 14.4) Except Edmunds. (“quarter-mile in 14.6 seconds at 95.4 mph”)

My ** guess ** is that on the same track, on the same day, with the same driver, an SS and a GXP would be within a tenth to 60 and through the Quarter Mile.

One other (possibly important) thing here is that looking at 30 – 60 times (since any high Torque FWD vehicle can be a challenge to launch effectively – and this discounts any differences there – and again looking at the GXP published numbers, as there are some more available to compare) we see:

. . . . . Edm . C+D . MT
    0 – 30 . 2.8 . 2.1 . 2.4
    0 – 60 . 6.7 . 5.7 . 6.0

30 – 60 . 3.9 . 3.6 . 3.6

Thus a 0.3 sec. difference between 2 other sources and Edmunds.
    A significantly smaller difference than the 0.7 to 1.0 sec difference in the 0 – 60 numbers.

And Edmunds did also mention in their test:
    “The transmission shifts at 5,000 rpm, despite the 6,000 rpm redline.”

While I do not dispute Edmunds, I have now driven my GXP for over 9,000 miles – and at WOT it will ** always ** shift at a higher RPM than 5000. I see (and I happen to have a video of) WOT shifts at 5900 \ 5950. Such a ‘short shift’ on the way to 60 MPH would certainly slow that recorded time as well.

Anyway – I think that the seat of the pants ‘feel’ of the SS ought to count for something as well. And this drivetrain certainly delivers (way) more entertainment (in this aspect) for the dollar than most competitors I see . .

YMMV.

- Ray
    Happy with MY numbers . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Front tires on GXP are larger. This tends to reduce torque steer, but can also reduce performance slightly as the drive wheels are heavier, increasing rotational mass.
    Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm not gonna bring up this issue again. However, it appears that Edmunds' test drivers are consistently slower than C&D and MT. Plus the Edmunds' review said "if you throw a brick at the accelerator" (floor it?) you'll get to 60 MPH in 6.4 secs. Sounds like they should either hire better drivers, or make several runs, and report the average.
  • czhangczhang Member Posts: 4
    My wife is buying a new car in a month, and we are looking at both. Impala LS and Maxx LT are very close in terms of pricing and power train. Any suggestion on which one is better?

I heared GM reduced price on those models recently. Are the price listed on Edmunds the new price? How much is difference? With the new price, does it mean there is no more rebate?
    ....1,0 0 0 Posts 2006 Impala....
  • jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2006 SS and am having a problem with the temperature guage reading higher than the actual temperature and not warming the inside of the vehicle as it should when I use the remote start.

It only seems to happen when I restart the vehicle within 3 to 5 hours after last driving it. Anyone else notice the same problem?
    It depends on whether you want a hatchback with 4 doors or a 4 door sedan. I looked at a loaded Malibu LT and the Impala 2LT and there isn't much difference in price. The Impala (which I assume is essentially a LaCrosse without the 1998 era body) is a lot more luxurious inside -much nicer dash and better looking seats. You can haul more stuff with the Maxx but comparing the Impala LS and a Maxx is apples and oranges. Both of them handle well and ride smoothly -actually I didn't notice much difference between the Malibu and Impala in the way they rode. You can get the Bose speakers in the Impala so that sealed the deal for me.
  • ewoodwardewoodward Member Posts: 5
    Well, where to start. I picked up a 2006 impala for 24000 it had 2500 miles on it. I know what you are thinking. It was dumped, it is possible. I was "told" the person who bought it, picked it up thought it was too much car. He brought it back for an SS truck. I have had it to the dealer about 3 times in the last month i have owned it. The Check engine light comes on. They have replaced the transmission soloneoid, wiring harness, module. Light still went on. As of today they are replacing the transmission. GM is saying they have had 3 other cars that have had pressure problems, a hole somewhere in the tranny that is kicking the engine light on. I pray for the best this weekend... ANY THOUGHTS??? also the right head lamp was on back order for a leak. IT will be fixed as well.

:lemon: ???
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    I can't speak for the remote start since I don't really use it. However, I have started my car (with the key) 2 or 3 times where the outside temp. said 86 degrees. After I started driving it went down to the correct temperature. The couple times I did use the remote start just for fun, the heat was blowing full blast when I got into the car a minute or two later.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any transmission problems or any CEL's ......

John
    I have a GP GXP (2005) with essentially a mechanically identical drivetrain.

I had my transaxle replaced.

My symptoms & repair experience are posted on the GXP 2006+ board here. Never had Check Engine (or other) lights.

Good luck!

Executive summary:

After 2 failed attempts at repair (see above for symptoms) a new transaxle was ordered & installed.

Yesterday, I picked up my GXP, with the new transaxle installed.
    I have now driven it approx. 45 miles.

No more surge, buck, chuggle.

TCC lockup working as expected – and as it did previously . .

With luck, this will be the end of the saga.

- Ray
    Hoping every nut & bolt & connector is re-attached to spec.
    2022 X3 M40i
    2006 Impala SS I want stuff for my car. Where can I go. Can i use stuff off another car. Is 2005 compatible is another model compatible?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Your favorite dealership should be able to order splash guards, floor mats, remote start, spoiler, vent visors that kind of thing. Parts from an '05 won't work, their styles are different.

There may be some aftermarket stuff available, but I'm not sure.
    Personally I would go Impala. Unless you need the hatch feature, the Impala has a huge trunk and a nicer interior. I suspect it will ride better on the highway due to the wider and longer wheel base.

Don't think you will go wrong either way though. Both cars are well built and fuel efficient.
  • drat19drat19 Member Posts: 28
    http://www.autoanything.com has finally started to get '06 Impala accessories into their stock...I ordered my HuskyLiner front floor mats for my '06 Impala LTZ from them and they're a perfect fit.

http://chevrolet.autowebaccessories.com/store/chevrolet-impala-accessories-cat69- 1_754.php is also getting ramped up...I ordered my front and rear splash guards from them and just received them this week (haven't installed yet but they're definitely '06 Impala accessories).
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    Were the HuskyLiners for the '06 Impala a custom "drop-in", or did you have to trim them to fit? I hate to pay that kind of money for a "universal fit" floor mat. No offense, I know you said that they were a perfect fit, but I'm very fussy about this type of accessory. Do they have the "step plate" texture to them? I'm most concerned about covering the drivers side raised portion where your left foot rests while driving. Also, do they protect the raised floor just in front of the seat?
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I'm interested in knowing this too. Right now I have put the follwing in place in my '06 LTZ - folded bath towel, thick plastic carefully cut and covering the ENTIRE footwell on driver and passenger sides, heavy rubber winter mat. I have the ebony interior and the last thing I want are salt stains from our wonerful Ontario winters. I plan to remove everything regularly to make sure no water has seeped underneath and is getting mouldy/mildewey (is that a real word??).

BTW, I absolutely LOVE my LTZ. I had an '01 LS before. Chevy has done an incredible job on this car!
    Brad
    Check under the plastic often where your towel is. A few years back my brother did the same thing with his car put a towel under plastic on the floors, and within a few wet days he got a terrible rotting smell from the car. It was dampness in the towel. It stained his carpet and the wet rotting smell got into the carpet. Just something to be aware of with your 2006 Impala.
    I have a 2006 Impala SS and have been noticing occasional clicking noises coming from behind the instrument panel. They occur within the first 5 minutes or so of driving and then seem to go away. They are random with no apparent pattern. Does anyone else notice the same thing?
    I've got the same identical problem with my '06!! It's been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Anyone else have the problem? I haven't had my car into the dealer yet. (only 800 miles on the car) Anyone know what's causing the noise?
    I'm still under 500 miles on mine. I thought maybe it had something to do with the tire inflation monitors or some other piece of electrical equipment that monitors the status of the vehicle. I've watched my drivers information computer to see if I could sync up the clicking with anything on it but no luck. I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer since I already know what they're going to say "oh that's normal".

I think I'll shoot an email to Chevy and perhaps give the service manager a call to see if they've heard anything about it.
    I'm thinking it might be something to do with the plastic heating/AC ducting. I live in Wisconsin and I've noticed that it seems to start making this noise as the heater starts blowing warm air. Once the car is warmed up, it stops. I've also noticed that it's worse in colder weather. Maybe it has something to do with the ducting expanding with heat. Let us know what you find out.
    I don't think it has something to do with the climate control system. The reason I say that is because I can drive in my car for an hour, shut it down for five minutes, restart it and the noises start all over again. I'm pretty sure it's some type of electrical circuit opening and closing.

I called Chevy and they have no record of similar problems as of yet. I'm taking my car in Thursday for the brake system recall so I'll know more then.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    I have an LT and have heard the clicking noise. Its not related to the tire monitoring system since I don't have it. I do think its an electric circuit opening/closing.

Is the brake system recall with your Impala? I haven't heard of any recalls or even any Technical Service Bulletings yet on 2006 Impalas.
    I have had it for a few days. Dealer dropped a new tranny in. No issues as of yet. They said they have 2 other Impala's and 1 monte with the same issue. The was an imperfection in the tranny that was cause incorrect pressure. The module / solonoid kept picking the change up. I will keep you guys updates. It was 2800 for parts and labor on the tranny FYI :shades:
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Is the problem just with the SS tranny or don't we know?
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I test drove an SS a couple of days ago and quite liked it. However, when I asked the salesman about the top speed, the salesman responded that he hadn't been able to get any information. I then emailed the GM Chevrolet FAQ line and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2006 Chevrolet Impala! Our Chevrolet Design Team is always concerned about customer safety and product quality. A speed governor or rev limiter is built into each vehicle we produce in order to limit the speed at which a vehicle can be operated for both safety and quality reasons. Governors and limiters limit the maximum speed to about 95 miles per hour for most vehicles and 105 for high performance vehicles. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How patronizing! I am amazed that GM would limit a supposedly high performance car with W rated tires to 105 mph. What does this say about the company designing a car that is marketed as a performance vehicle? I'm not advocating driving at such speeds in the U.S., but, even in the case of a 2.0 liter VW GTi you know that the car is engineered to be driven at sustained speeds of 130 mph + -- in Germany it is, and largely without incident (the new model sold in Europe has a top end close to 150). My current car, an Acura TL, is limited to 146 mph for the U.S. market. To me this says the car was engineered to be stable and safe at these speeds, and has been designed for and tested at these speeds. If you want to compete with these foreign upstarts, then get with the program, GM.
    Consider the influence of tort lawyers who love to sue GM.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I know. They're parasites for sure. However, not all GM cars are limited so low (e.g. Corvette, and I think, Cobalt SS supercharged). And lawyers can also have a go at the competition -- it doesn't seem to deter them. Look at what they did to Audi after a daft 60 Minutes story and a driver who didn't know the difference between the gas and brake pedals.

One other thing about the SS -- there should be a no cost spoiler delete option and the ability to order without the SS logos on the headrests. Nothing wrong with them but my personal preference would be to do without these.
    Pretty rare that someone would not want the SS logos. I am surprised to see the spoiler delete is not available on an order though.
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    Don't believe the GM email. I have read in all vehicles the top speed is based on the tire speed rating.
    Why would GM spend the extra money to install a W speed tire if the car has a limiter to 105 mph.
    Secondly, I have had my 01 Impala 3.8L to 105 mph and it's not a high performance vehicle.
    I can't remember where I read this but the top speed for the SS is around 125 mph.
  • ironjasperironjasper Member Posts: 21
    Car and Driver has the 06' Pontiac Grand Prix GPX top speed listed "Top speed (governor limited): 143 mph"....

Both these cars share the same powertrain/tranny etc... I'm sure the SS is around the same top speed.
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    nkeen wrote: "I'm not advocating driving at such speeds in the U.S.,"

You could have fooled me!
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I agree about the SS logos on the headrests. Little too "boy racer" for my taste. If you want to offer something of substance, offer the Grand Prix GXP front seats and performance brakes on the SS....
    The 2006 Impala with the 3.9 V6 ungoverned top speed is 142 mph. (Police testing at Michigan in Sept 05) I believe the SS top speed would be in the high 140s. The Dodge V8 Hemi is over 150 mph (not that it matters) The 2000 - 2005 Impala 3800 engines top speed ungoverned is 131 mph. but all were governed at 107 mph. I believe the SS isn't governed at 105mph.

I'm 56 (not a boy racer) I like the SS emblems on the headrest. (to each his own) The interior of the SS is plain enough without a little bit of spice to it. Take away the SS emblems inside and you have a plain LTZ interior. Better side bolstered bucket seats are needed in the SS as what they have in the GXP or even the Monte Carlo. Also put the letters back on the console for the PRNDL. That area of the car looks too plain as well. If its extra I will pay!. The SS seats are too plain for a model called Super Sport. Thats what super sport means. Sport. There is no sport showing inside the SS model. Most car mags and testers have been saying this since this car came out. BLAND! Spice it UP! If you don't want that, buy an LTZ (its the same interior) without SS emblems.
    Consumer Reports confirms that the major drawbacks to the redesign are in braking and rear seat room. I assume they will fix the for :( mer but not much hope for the rear seat.