Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How do Hybrids work? Newbie questions encouraged!

13»

Comments

• falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I acutally can't imagine Einstein driving anything else other than a Prius. He wouldn't have any payments because Toyota would have given it to him for being the spokesperson. Hybrids... gotta love them!!!
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    acutally can't imagine Einstein driving anything else other than a Prius. He wouldn't have any payments because Toyota would have given it to him for being the spokesperson.

That's the only way it would be cheap to operate a hybrid.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    And this discussion of Einstein has WHAT to do with how hybrids work? :confuse:

Let's contain the pros and cons of hybrids to appropriate topics please. Can't have it bleed into every topic.
    So far my sister has told me that her Prius has been the cheapest most reliable car to date. So does CR. :P :P
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    Really.
    What were her other cars?
    Her prior cars were a 1999 Acura TL (good until the transmission died). Other one was a 1984 Toyota Supra my mom gave her. Started acted up last year with electrical issues. The TL had transmission problems, BUT Acura was nice and fixed it out of warranty for free. Now she has a Prius and her husband and her share a new Rav 4 (05).
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    Hopefully this won't turn into a discussion about Einstein- so I'll keep my question as specific as possible.

in reading a lot of these forums, there's a notion out there that the more you run on electric-only mode, the better your overall FE will be. (in the HH forum, seems like that has been discussed lately) So for the sake of this discussion, let's just talk about toyota systems.

The way I understand hybrids to work (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a gas engine is inneficient at low speeds. whereas an electric motor has an even torque band across the range of rpms. so hybrids use the electric motor to accelerate from a standstill and uses gas once the car is just cruising to maximize efficiency. So it would make sense to charge the battery while the car is "cruising" along when the ICE is running most efficiently.

OK so here's my problem understanding why forcing the car to run at electic is good. why would you run the car at cruising speed in electric mode, when the gas engine is already at its most efficient "zone?" By depleting the battery, you are going to have to force the engine to charge it up at a later time perhaps when the engine is not runnig efficiently. as someone has already pointed out, transfering power from one source to another is not 100% efficient. (and let's ignore regen braking for the moment because the recomended fuel savings techniques tell you to anticipate stops and to minimize brake use.)

wouldn't it make sense to selectively force the engine into running on electric-only. let's say you knew there was a down hill coming a mile after the red light so that you deplete the battery by running electric only, and you recharge it as you go down the big hill. But if you knew there was a big up hill coming, you might want to get that battery charging so that you could use the electric assist to climb up the hill.

I know the computer in the car is programmed to seemlessly optimize when to charge and when to run on electric. But the computer cant sense the traffic ahead, the slope of the road, whether you're getting on/off the highway... etc.

So ultimately is my thinking correct? Is the notion of arbitrarily trying to run in electric only mode a good one, or should we try to be more selective in when we try to force the car in electric mode?
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Member Posts: 158
    Hi Otis,
    You wrote "Hopefully this won't turn into a discussion about Einstein" I second that !!

Here's maybe what you are missing in your knowhow.
    Internal combustion engines typically have a maxx efficiency point around a 38% power loading.
    Lower power loadings are less efficient because fixed losses predominate. Higher loadings are less efficient because losses proportional to engine speed predominate. A 38% power loading is still too high for just plain cruising at any speed below 65mph.

-- Others may wish to know what good this is well....

Prius hypermilers who want to travel efficiently below a steady 42mph can use a pulse and glide technique. They slowly come up to within 42mph in electric mode so the ICE won't have an excuse to start and gradually deplete the battery.
    This is the glide part of course. Then at around 20% state of charge (SOC) the engine will fire up automatically. The ICE now has two jobs, provide motive power and charge the battery. If the battery is warm it will have full capacity and charge in a few minutes to 90%. This double loading operates the ICE at its most optimum power for a short period which is known as the pulse. The driver monitors the display to know when 90% SOC is reached and will then momentarily slow to encourage the ICE to stop. Then 'feathers' the speed back up to within 42 mph under electric power only to begin the whole glide process over again.
    I hope this explanation answers some questions for you and helps a bunch more who are new to Prius. Visit john1701a.com for more Prius stuff.

As another poster wrote " I can try explain it for you, but I cannot understand it for you". !
    T2
  • autocrosstomautocrosstom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Prius and would like to know if there is a way to force the battery to fully charge. This can be useful in case you have to leave it parked at an Airport for several weeks during the winter. If I want to show off the possible MPG I can reset the gas mileage just as my friend hops in my car with a fully charged battery.

What kind of driving can best charge the battery to 8 bars? Should I set the transmission to B instead of P? If I am at 6 bars, I cannot seem to get the battery to continue charging unless it is cold out or I am going down a long hill.

Any help will be appreciated.

AutocrossTom
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    Two ways to do it. The information come from PriusChat and I have not try it.

Manual Charging

With the Ready light on and the gear in P, press the accelerator padel. ICE will start and charge the HV battery

Automatic Fast Charging

1. Start the car
    2. Put it in Drive
    3. Depress both the brake and gas pedal simultaneously to the floor.
    4. The car will recognise that you want to charge the battery and move into a special "fast charging" mode.
    5. This can take up to 5 minutes depending on the charge state of your battery (you can even get it up to 100% - FULL GREEN)
    6. The car will NOT overrev and will adjust the engine speed back as the battery charges.

Dennis
    "Why in the world would someone design something where the ICE power is converted into electrical power of the MG1 which is immediately converted into supply power for the MG2. Then the MG2 acts as a motor further converting power with additional energy loss. Why not use the power directly from the ICE? Double and triple conversion of energy is just not an efficient design."

Why? Because that's the basic principle of E-CVT. Yes, that's how HSD transmission works in a nutshell. The ICE make only 82 lbs-ft torque. It does not produce enough twisting power to properly accelerate the Prius. This situation prevents the ICE from making it's maximum power since it can't rev the RPM fast enough (already too hard to twist).

So what does it do? The Power Split Device comes to the rescue. It spins the MG1 so fast that it generates electricity. This allows ICE to make maximum (or necessary) power while MG1 steals away that energy. MG1 generating electricity and supplying it to MG2 creates massive (295 lbs-ft) torque -- equivalent of 1st gear. Now, all the power of ICE is going out to the wheel.

E-CVT stands for electrically controlled variable transmission. How does it control electrically? Well, it depends on the speed of MG1 -- how much electricity it generates. If you stop the MG1, you loose the control and it can't be variable anymore. You might as well call it E-NCST (Electrically Not Controlled Static Transmission).

----------------------------------------------------
    "In my higher math, before calculus of several variables, I thought that 66 was greater than 51."

You do not need Calculus for this, just Arithmetic and Common-sense. You are comparing 1.0 liter Insight ICE to 1.5 liter Prius ICE. Why don't you look at the Civic Hybrid 1.3 liter highway 47 mpg? Which is greater? 51 or 47?

By looking at the results, Honda's IMA is less efficient because 1.3 liter engine is getting less mpg on the highway than Prius 1.5 liter engine. Prius is even bigger than Civic.

-------------------------------------------------------
    "Why is the highway mileage of the Prius less than the City mileage while the Insight is higher?"

Because Insight simply sux in the City, even though there is less air drag in low speed city driving. Prius is equally good in both City and Highway. The reason Highway mpg is lower is due to air resistance at high speed.

PS: I know I am replying to a very old post because no one actually addressed it.

Dennis
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    LOL- how to justify energy conversion losses. You should become a politician :)
    Less energy loss than traditional and IMA implementation. Just look at the results.
  • melskimelski Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying a HH. I currently have a 4Runner and a preschooler with alot of stuff. Can you tell me anything about the car. How it drives, stops (I read about the breaking problem), anything you feel could be helpful to me. Also if anyone knows of a better car. I want a Hybrid for the green factor and to hopefully save a few pennies. I would like to hear from people who love their car and why. I also want to know what you hate abouy it. Are the cupholders in a good place. I am still a woman and we like to know these trival things. THANK YOU all in advance for any help,ideas.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi melski,
    You can get tons of feedback on this vehicle in our Toyota Highlander Hybrid discussion. Lots of current owners participate there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• enrolbenrolb Member Posts: 4
    Having just recently purchased a Toyota Prius. I find it amazing that when the ICE starts it is so seamless, less noticeable than a typical automatic transmission shift! I was wondering if the ICE internals where always moving with the CVT therefore no spinup time is required?

:)
    Hi enrolb,

The quick answer is for speeds below 42mph you'll find the engine is fully stopped quite often. It is always fully meshed with the drive train same as an auto transmission. However the similarity ends there because there are no slipping clutches or hydraulic torque converters employed here.

What there is is just this differential gear that the engine feeds to. A small but powerful servo feeds this differential gear system also. Power takeoff to the wheels is through a third gear. It is this gear which drives directly to the wheel axle with a 4:1 stepdown.

If the wheels are turning and the engine is not required then the Prius computers will instruct the small servo to rotate precisely at the right speed so that the crankshaft can remain stationary.

But how does it do it is a whole other question !
    If you want to know more, first take a look at the line dwg on Post #470 on the Toyota Camry Hybrid board. That top drawing is your car.

See the planetary gear in the centre ? Well it's not clear from the drawing, at least not as clear as it could be, but the crankshaft of your engine is connected to the planetary carrier which supports the planet gears which race around the sun.

The sun gear itself is driven by a hollow shaft from the smaller servo (if you can call 30kw (42Hp) small ! ) commonly referred to as MG1.

Now here's the tricky part. In order for the crankshaft to meet the planet carrier it has to go through the hollow center of MG1 and its shaft and then proceed through to the other side of the side of the planetary assy where it can then join rigidly to the carrier.

The third part of a planetary gearbox is the outer ring gear. This is the internal tooth gear the planets run around inside. It also connects directly to MG2, your main 67Hp traction motor. And eventually the wheels as the diagram shows.

T2
  • ellen4ellen4 Member Posts: 7
    I'm thinking about buying a Camry Hybrid. I'm in sales and during the summer, in between sales calls, I will sit in my car for 1/2-1hour, with the airconditioner running. My question is, will I be able to do this in the Camry Hybrid, or will it ruin the battery?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'm thinking about buying a Camry Hybrid. I'm in sales and during the summer, in between sales calls, I will sit in my car for 1/2-1hour, with the airconditioner running. My question is, will I be able to do this in the Camry Hybrid, or will it ruin the battery?"

No, the engine will come on to charge the battery when needed. You will use up gasoline, of course... are you sure you will have enough cargo room for your sales stuff? I actually think the Prius may be a better choice for carrying cargo.
  • ellen4ellen4 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks so much for your quick reply :D
  • mojavegreenmojavegreen Member Posts: 2
    I recently test drove the Nissan Altima, Toyota Highlander, and Lexus RX400h hybrids. On the Lexus (which was very quiet usually) I noticed a marked increase when decelerating which the salesman said was due to the regenerative braking. I didn't notice it in the other hybrids, and he didn't think it was excessive, or that it would lessen as the car is broken in. What should one expect with the sound of regenerative braking, particularly with the RX400h (the one I will probably buy)? Thanks.
  • roland3roland3 Member Posts: 431
    ... Desertgreen, don't rally know, but they are known for quietness; maybe try another dealer demo.
    The technical term for that noise is magnetostiction if my spelling is correct. It is caused by the powerful magnetic fields being generated in the motor that are "ringing" the motor iron.

You cross shopped a Nissan Altima with a Lex RX400h ?
    And didn't try the 2007 Camry hybrid when it's been out a lot longer than the Altima ? The Camry is less complex than the Lexus but more advanced than the Prius.
    T2
  • mojavegreenmojavegreen Member Posts: 2
    Technically, we lookong to replace two cars with one small SUV, and one mid sedan. We did look at the Camry, but having had great results with Nissan products, and considering the tax credit and price, I am leaning towards the Altima for that one. It also has an auxiliary input jack (MP3) on the radio.

But, the only magnetostiction we heard was on the Lexus. Is it usually that noticeable in hybrids? It wasn't on the other two we drove.
    I don't know the answer to that specific question but the hybrid forum has an RX400h board with 16 threads. You could try and copy your post over there.

Something to remember is that hybrids have some pretty expensive parts in them and they are exclusive to the dealership so it's prudent in this case, with an emerging technology, to negotiate a price on an extended warranty. There are some other important differences to note.
    The RX400h vehicle will have been out about three years in October so these vehicles will have been fully debugged by now and any frequently troublesome parts will be stocked in the dealers service department.
    Your new Altima hybrid is now in its first model year, it will be a strange animal to Nissan mechanics, and if there is a problem you will be in a loaner till parts come in from Japan. These are important "firsts" and a basis for some questions you should raise at point of sale. Quite frankly I would pass on the Altima, right now, I would not be an early adopter, until they've proved they've got their vehicle and act together. Edmunds boards are good for that.

On the subject of leasing hybrids. Toyota wasn't leasing Priuses here until recently and then the financing rates offered were miserable. It was obvious they they wanted you to pony up for the early adopter risk.

I am not connected with them, by the way, but I've bought three products from Toyota 'cos Life's too short you could at least try out the Camry just to see if it makes the same sounds in regen and kill two birds with one stone.

It may be easier to get a deal on the Altima than the Camry right now.
    My buying experience with Lexus is, if you have to have new, they have attractive financing deals on Lexuses towards September to clear out the 2007s plus you'll also have a chance to see some off leases coming in at the same time. I test drove a few and was surprised to find that three year old vehicles felt and drove as well as new vehicles. At my local dealership they don't stay on the lot a week and by the time I was ready to pull the trigger they were gone ! I gave up and went for Plan B which is to buy new and hold for ten years or so, that way you'll find a Lexus isn't that much more expensive to own than a Corolla. The strategy works because Toyota paint jobs really last, I didn't see any rust for nearly twelve years with the Corolla and the city uses any excuse to drop salt on the road here. But that's enough ranting.

On a more technical note
    It also has an auxiliary input jack (MP3) on the radio.
    They're a good idea, I'm hopeful XM and Sirius will take a hit with these MP3 plugins and bring their $14/month service down to a more reasonable level.
    T2
  • yeloroseyelorose Member Posts: 5
    I haven't test-driven any hybrid yet (I hate going to dealerships!). I've read specifically about the Ford Escape Hybrid. It seems the electric motor is on initially and then the gas engine will start when you reach a certain speed. I often drive in stop-start freeway traffic. The last time I checked, I went between 0 and 30 several times within 5 miles. If the speed that traffic is reaching makes the gas engine start, will the engine continue stopping and starting as you speed up and slow down with traffic? Is that bad for the motor and engine? It would seem to be a lot of wear and tear.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "If the speed that traffic is reaching makes the gas engine start, will the engine continue stopping and starting as you speed up and slow down with traffic? Is that bad for the motor and engine? It would seem to be a lot of wear and tear."

The engine will come on at lower speeds if you need more power, if the engine is not warmed up, or if the traction battery (the one that drives the electric motor) gets too low.

Not to worry about engine wear; the hybrids actually spin up the engine before they turn it on, so it is not the same as a conventional engine starting up. (At least this is the theory, and there are a few high mileage hybrids out there).
  • dylgeahdylgeah Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen a hybrid with CNG as the motor fuel? There are plenty of CNG conversion options out there (for a gasoline auto,) but I like the hybrid concept and don't want to visit the gas station anymore.

It seems to me that this would be the greenest car currently available if it were. Is this more of an untested field at this point? I'm just curious if someone could point me in the right direction, (or the right forum if this isn't it...)

Thanks,

Chris
  • dorrie1dorrie1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the maintenance like on the prius???
  • hiwaymanhiwayman Member Posts: 98
    This link is dead.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Perhaps that's because it's 3 years old :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I was expecting our host PF_Flyer to redirect the poster at #135 over to the Prius maintenance section.

Noticing that there are links below even more dormant than this. I have to ask : -

What's your beef with this one to be singled out for attention Mr Hiwayman ?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I was dead for a few days (for tax purposes), but there's no need to start up a fuss about this. Sometimes the date of a posting isn't noticed when a new member is catching up on all the postings.

Unlike diamonds, links may not be forever! :shades:
This discussion has been closed.