Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What's your reason for buying a Hybrid?

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Is it for the environment? Is it to save trips to the gas station? What's your reason?

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    My reason for buying a hybrid would be to get better mileage.

Also looking for high reliability, except my goal is pretty high: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Toyota

The performance should be equal to the average of existing cars and not less. The 0-60 mph time should be around 8.5-9.0 seconds or better.

Handing doesn't have to be that good, but braking should at least be as short as average.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    I don't have a hybrid yet (next time) but my goal is to do more with less

less noise, pollution, congestion, fuel use, wear n tear on the roads etc.

oh yea want to save money also and my bike and trailer
    bicycle & trailer
    does that and more but sometimes I need a smog machine.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___Pure 100% highway mileage and she (the 5-speed insight) has delivered it in spades …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • jonathanbjonathanb Member Posts: 2
    I came to this site by subscribing to the Edmund's hybrid Honda Accord Town Hall and this is the first series of messages I have read.

I find that some of the messages border on the old "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome. I would think that people who subscribe to this list would have foremost in their minds the desire to help our Earth's ecology . What humankind is doing to our environment is damaging and ultimately very dangerous to our planet. Future generations need us to begin now to clean up our act.

And so I try to do my small part through setting my thermostat to 68 in the winter and doing without airconditioning through most of the summer. I feel that hybrids, be they Hondas, Toyotas, soon to be Fords, whatever, are an important way to improve on automobile pollution, and so I drive one. Hybrids are the smart way to entice a great body of drivers to do their part, until something better comes along in 15-20 years.

Somewhat expensive? yes. But as the sales volume increases, so the prices will decrease.

Choosing a particular hybrid is a personal taste. That it may not be your choice merely improves on the diversity seen on the road. It's not wrong to drive a Honda Civic hybrid or Insight or a Toyota Prius, or a soon to be HAH. The more the merrier - we are all doing the right thing! So please let's not bicker ;>)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I agree. The environmental benifits of a Prius, Civic Hybrid, Insight, Accord Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, RX Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid far outweigh the cost in terms of money and some features to me. It may not be the same for other people, but that's just how I feel.
  • mthexumamthexuma Member Posts: 43
    I completely agree with you, we have to start cleaning up our act. I am currently driving a 2004 Honda Civic that gets 31/38 mpg. I feel that helps in some way. I am only 18 and couldn't afford a hybrid even though I really wanted one. But I feel the civic helps me do my part.
    I'm driving a Honda Civic too. Although mine is a 99 model that gets an average of 28.2 MPG because I drive it 95% in the city, but it still does better than my Odyssey in the city. And there's something simple each of us can do. When we're shopping in a certain category, look at the most fuel efficient one and see if you like it. If we don't, look at the one we liked. Could we possibly get a more efficient engine? Can we sacrifice maybe 1 second in 0-60 times in return for 2 extra MPG in the city and highway? When we go SUV shopping, is there a minivan, crossover or wagon that can do the job? Instead of leasing a Chevrolet Tahoe, can we instead go for the Subaru Outback? Or how about a Toyota Sienna? Maybe a Highlander Hybrid? The choice is yours but to conclude, we must take care of this planet in the end, otherwise we'd have no place to live.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Welcome to Town Hall!

You will find here many automotive enthusiasts who are excited about new technologies and are also willing to debate and demand more from the automotive industry.

People who own hybrids bought them for a variety of reasons - not all being for ecological reasons. Some just think the technology is cool. Please see the discussion What's your reason for buying a hybrid

Now, back to the discussion at hand - the Honda Accord 2005
    for the technology that's packed in there. Just take a look at how much technology the Prius has. You have the Hybrid Synergy Drive, Bluetooth, KeylessGo all for a reasonable price. No wonder there's waiting lists. And Toyota claims it's making a profit on each Prius. (according to a Motortrend.com news blurb a few months back)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I don’t have a hybrid but look forward to buying one in the future. Ideal hybrid vehicle, IMO, would have…
    1. Improved performance via more power when needed (comparable to V6 power in family sedans)
    2. Improved fuel economy (30+ mpg)
    3. Improved emissions (SULEV/PZEVrated)
    4. AWD without the need of a standard mechanical/electrical AWD system

IMO, above four items are potential strengths of hybrid technology. Couple them to…
    - A well-balanced compromise between ride comfort and handling
    - Manual Gearbox or Clutchless Manual/semi-automatic transmission (No CVT please)
    - Packaged with midsize sedan/hatchback utility.

And it will be all that I want.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    it will be for the same reasons that I buy any car. It will fulfill my vehicular needs better and/or more economically than the competition.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Good post. Basically, in my book hybrids will have to stand on their own merits and not be considered just because the tech is neat or they're good for the environment by one billionth of a percent or they reduce our dependence on foreign oil by an equal number. Personally, I think most new vehicles these days are extremely clean already, so environment is not my concern (I read one study that said if they eliminated every car in California (~30 million) the the greenhouse gasses would only go down 1/10 of 1 percent).

Right now, hybrids are basically offering the same car as the ICE counterparts with improved fuel economy, but then are charging $3-5K more. So if you only keep a car for 5-6 years, you're losing money. If in the future hybrids offer something more, like better performance, then that might be worth paying for. But if their selling point is fuel economy alone, then I better not be paying much more for it.
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Fuel economy is the only selling point of the HCH. A fully loaded Prius offers something NOTHING else in the price range can. No one seems to be able to answer my question:

Where can you get a car that has ALL the features a loaded Prius has for 26k and STILL get a minumum of 45 MPG overall? Anyone know??
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    A fully loaded Prius for $26k is a good buy. It may be a while before the hordes of wannabe's get one at that price.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I believe your numbers are off somewhat unless the CA dealers are taking advantage of the present market which could very well happen. The MSRP for a baseline Pkge 2 Prius ( w/ SKS ) is abt $22.5 now. We sell them all day long at that price. Just delivered one yesterday as a matter of fact.

A similarly equipped Camry LE ( no SKS ) lists at $21.5.... less $500 rebate.. but there is a relative lack of them so they are going firmly in the $20-21K range.

TMV has no bearing now because the dealers in the mid Atl now have .. 9 days of Inventory on hand... and that includes a massive amount of 4 Runners. Corolla's and Camry's are now running 3-6 days of inventory. TMV here is sticker less rebate ( why a rebate? Who knows? ).

The Prius Pkge 2 and the Camry LE are only abt $1-2K apart after rebate on the Camry. The Current Tax Deduction brings this down to abt $1K but next year the lower priced vehicle should be the Prius. Toyota is going to raise the price on the Prius for sure next month. But they will also have a brand spanking new Camry in March will initially be bringing sticker also. The Prius will be lower than the Camry through all of next yr.

kdhspyder
    I think you made a very wise choice. That is a great car for the environment. And not a budget breaker for a young person. Thanks for doing your part to clean all of our air.
    Your question is relevant only to those who WANT all of the "features" of the Prius, some of which I consider undesirable. None of the present hybrids fullfill my vehicular requirements better than alternatives that are available for similar (or lower) cost.
    As evidenced by the demand for package # 9 (loaded) it appears most buyers want this combo. Very few folks are buying strippers. Can't wait to see what the future brings. Hybrids are definitely here to stay.
    I'm all for appreciation and development of hybrid technology but it is ridiculous, IMO, to use "gizmos for $26K" argument in a car that looks like another economy hatchback. I picture that as putting lipstick on a monkey. "45 mpg" is rendered meaningless if one ends up spending thousands more than average price of a new car (in the USA) to get just a few additional features like curtain airbags, keyless start (actually very common in economy cars abroad, esp Japan), homelink (big deal!), navigation system (also quite common in economy cars abroad), stability control and HID. In a mass produced car, all this should cost no more than $3000 (Toyota charges $2K more) in a $20K car.

I'm all for appreciation and development of hybrid technology but it is ridiculous, IMO, to use "gizmos for $26K" argument in a car that looks like another economy hatchback. I picture that as putting lipstick on a monkey. "45 mpg" is rendered meaningless if one ends up spending thousands more than average price of a new car (in the USA) to get just a few additional features like curtain airbags, keyless start (actually very common in economy cars abroad, esp Japan), homelink (big deal!), navigation system (also quite common in economy cars abroad), stability control and HID. In a mass produced car, all this should cost no more than $3000 (Toyota charges $2K more) in a $20K car.

And that would make it a very poor reason for me to buy a hybrid (to get more gizmos), with or without being able to get 45 mpg. Added cost is just not worth it unless the car "feels" like a $25K car to start with, and performs like one as well.
    I suppose you're missing the entire point of this conversation. Not ONE person has been able to list a car(s) that have the SAME features of the Prius for LESS money! The Prius is FAR from an economy car. On that note you are SADLY mistaken. Having previously owned a C320 Mercedes, my passengers THANK me for getting rid of that car (47k list for that car!) and getting the Prius which has TONS more room and versatility.

So.. here we go again:

Name an equivalent car sold in the US for LESS than 26k that has the following:

4 doors with hatch and a 106.3 wheelbase
    Gets a minimum of 45 MPG overall
    Has Navigation with voice control
    Has smart entry exit (Audi and Mercedes don't even have this!!!)
    Bluetooth connectivity (look Ma! no hands!!!)
    Steering wheel controls for climate, radio and NAV
    Integrated satellite radio
    Side curtain airbags
    Five star safety rating for frontal crash
    Four star safety rating for side crash (w/o curtains)
    CVT Trans
    Electric A/C
    HID Headlights
    Vehicle Stability Control
    Traction Control
    Power button (actually a cool safety feature)

I'm sure I missed some as there are SO many features this car has. Get used to the fact that this car and other hybrids are here to stay. This car has far surpassed my expectations. FYI... last car was an Audi allroad quattro & a Mercedes C320. And no... I won't trade back! That would be a step BACKWARDS!
    will succeed and that one day there will be a hybrid that offers what I expect of a vehicle. But I have little, if any, interest in many of the "features" that you list and certainly would not pay thousands more for them.
    Can Prius beat the performance of cars that sell for $26K (without leather trim)? If you’re going to downplay pros of other cars and bring up only the cons, you’re not making logical arguments. I don’t see $26K “less money”. How much more to add leather and moon roof?

As I said, I’m not against hybrids. You may have seen me argue more often for them (and almost never against them) for good reasons. I want to see hybrid technology evolve, and hopefully I will drive one sometime soon.

BUT, you give all the wrong reasons. Are you sure Prius has the features for under $26K because it is a hybrid? If not, what is the point of making an extensive list of relatively expensive options list as a strength of the car?

Name an equivalent car sold in the US for LESS than 26k that has the following…

I can’t think of an equivalent car, because it makes little sense to offer the performance of an economy car packaged at near luxury price tag. An Acura TSX, a midsize sedan, may not get you 45 mpg (I will give that to you), but it will get you performance in return, and comes with…
    Standard Curtain Airbags
    Stability Assist w/Traction Control
    HID
    Homelink
    Navigation System w/Voice Controls
    (Redundant) Steering Wheel Controls
    Satellite Radio
    Five Star Safety ratings (don’t have a choice to get 4-star side rating because don’t have an option to not get one without curtain airbags)
    Leather Seats
    Heated Seats & Outside Mirrors
    Auto Dimming Rear View Mirrors
    Moon Roof
    Telescoping Steering Wheel
    High Intensity Discharge Head Lamps
    Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
    Unequal length double wishbone front and 5-link double wishbone rear suspension
    … and actually a choice of transmission: Sport Shift Auto or 6-speed Manual. Don’t have to “deal with” CVT alone.

One doesn’t have to spend $47K to get features like these in cars. And while it should be easy for Honda to dump all the features you mention (and more) for $10K in Civic HX (coupe/sedan or hatchback form), I certainly wouldn’t want to brag about it.
    Then don't buy one. No one is forcing it on you. Not even sure why you're responsing? There are people that DO care about our environment.
    I have a right to brag because I've owned luxury marques which can't hold a candle to the Prius' versatility. Leather is always brought up and funny thing is I hate leather. Leather is another marketing tool by the car companies to instill an aura of "luxury". If your idea of luxury is sitting on sticky leather in the summer and cold leather in the winter... hey more power to you. I'll keep BRAGGING about my Prius because it is a phenomenal value and a fantastic car. Maybe that's why people are paying OVER 30k for a loaded Prius.
    People have many different reasons for buying a car. My mother bought cars based on the color - nothing else mattered (I road around in many yellow or seafoam green cars as a child...very sad).

So - the discussion here is what is your reason - and not if that reason is right or wrong according to others. Stating the reason is fine, punishing someone for their reasons is not.
    I don't mind you or others paying that much for Prius (or any car for that matter). Its is not my money after all! I'm taking issue with you putting down other cars that cost about as much, without considering their "pros". It just makes for a faulty argument.

But then, you bring up "106.3 inch wheelbase" as a point, but could care less about leather seats.

Don't compare versatility of a economy hatchback to that of "luxury" (keyword) sedans. It makes no sense.
    Oh.. I get it!! If it is a hatchack.. it's an economy car? I suppose all the SUVs on the road are economy SUVs? Why do you categorize the Prius as an economy car? To me an economy car is a Chevy Aveo or a Hyundai accent. I also happen to own a C230 Coupe.. is that an economy car too? Sorry.. can't think of any car I'd want for 26k other than the Prius. However if the Prius did not exist, I'd entertain:

Mazda MX6
    Honda Accord
    Audi A3 (when it finally arrives)
    BMW X3

Sorry... money is not a factor. I get a generous car allowance from my company.
    Oh no, hatchback does not classify a car as “economy or not”. But, presence of beam axle/non-independent rear suspension could. If Prius weren’t a hybrid, could you take a guess at the price point it would sell?

At $26K, the car is hardly an “economy” car. Even a Chevy Aveo wouldn’t be, because if you add up all the features to an Aveo, it might cost just as much. :-)
    I guess those types of suspensions on luxury SUVs don't count. Do you think for a moment that anyone knows what type of suspension they have? I do, and after test driving the Prius I was amazed with the smooth quiet ride. The Prius does NOT have to keep up with an M3 on the twisties. If Toyota put a more complex rear suspension in the car, they'd have to raise the price. So now I can brag some more, I have a hybrid with Toyota quality that will outlast most of the crap that is being coming out of Detroit today.
    Aah, those glorified school buses (AKA luxury SUVs). I could care less about them. In most cases, they are based off pick up trucks and given the (intended) utility of those, bias has been against usage of IRS. Lately, however, the move has been towards IRS, even in pickups.

Getting back to cars, Camry doesn’t have to keep up with M3 either, but it comes with IRS. Must be a reason, right? A lot of hoopla was made when 2001 Civic was given a Macpherson strut front suspension instead of the decade old tradition of double wishbones. Imagine if Honda replaced the reactive link double wishbone rear suspension with torsion beam axle rear suspension.

Yes, cost can be a factor, that is why Honda’s cheapest platform (we don’t have a car in the USA/Canada based on that platform) uses semi-independent rear suspension, but Civic and up, it had to be better, for better ride quality and handling. If you want to compare cars based on features, make sure you include “all” the features.
    Funny that you seem to think 106.3" wheelbase is a "feature".

And suspension setup does affect ride quality/handling, otherwise there is no reason for anybody to develop fancy suspension systems.

You can read about various suspension setups here.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > My mother bought cars based on the color - nothing else mattered

As long as it is "green" people can buy whatever they want!

Emissions matter, what the vehicle looks like doesn't.

JOHN
    The reason that was brought up was to show that the car is not a SMALL car by any stretch of the imagination. However, we are indeed getting off topic here. The reason for this thread is WHY I BOUGHT A HYBRID. The proliferation of hybrids will continue thank goodness for Toyota. I trust other manufacturers will follow suit. I still can't believe how much I love this car!!!! I sense Prius ENVY!! LOL!!!
    Wheelbase isn't an indicator of a car's size. Could you rank cars having following wheelbase in order of their "size"?
    107.1 inch
    107.3 inch

Just so that you know, the second wheelbase is for BMW 3-series sedan, which can be classified as (barely) a compact, while the shorter wheelbase is that of Camry.

I could care less about why you bought a hybrid, as long as you don't go on challenging others with statements like this...

"Not ONE person has been able to list a car(s) that have the SAME features of the Prius for LESS money!"

Well, does Prius the features that some cars offer for the money? NO. It is not supposed to. Regarding envy, it will be end of the world the day I brought home this Prius for $26K. ;-)
    Wheelbase was used as a basis for smooth ride. Had a Subaru WRX that had a 99" wheelbase and was nearly as long. The Prius has a smooth luxurious ride. I just can't seem the think of any car in that price category that comes close. Especially with all those features.
    More than wheelbase, it is actually suspension setup that determines ride quality. An inch or two on the wheelbase doesn't make much difference.
    What really matters is seat of the pants feeling. I took four passengers on a ride the other day and they actually said.. hey.. this rides better than the C320 you had. Go figure!! I love my Prius!! Oh....getting 53.2 on this tank (212 miles so far). Must be the lower temps as AC isn't as taxed.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Djasonw:

___So you purchased your Prius II and it has a better ride because of its Echo/Corolla/Prius cheap torsion beam rear suspension rather then the independent suspension of a Toyota Camry or Avalon, Lexus LS, GS, ES, IS, SC, LX, GX, RX, Honda Accord, Acura RL, TL, TSX, RSX, NSX, and MDX?

http://www.lexus.com/models/glossary.html?entry=indsusp

Each wheel on an axle is sprung separately and can react independently to bumps - a small bump affecting one side does not affect the other. This contrasts with a non-independent (rigid, beam or solid axle) where the wheels are directly connected, and a bump at one end will affect the other. All Lexus passenger cars have fully independent suspension systems.

___I guess Toyota had better straighten this mess out knowing full well that they are spending upwards of $500 more to suspend their luxury vehicles with independent suspensions when they could be using the cheap Torsion beam setup from the Echo, Corolla, or Prius lines instead?

___When Hybrid’s start using the underpinnings of the more luxurious vehicles, (HH and RXh come to mind), then they will have the ride of those same more luxurious vehicles. As it stands, the skinny Integrity tires and Echo/Corolla suspension HW give it the ride of a compact sedan, not a lux automobile.

___As for your MB, I haven’t a clue as to how it rides. It might have been suspended for cornering instead?

___I purchased the used Insight for $10K because of its fuel economy and it has exceeded my expectations for many months now. At $20K +, it wouldn’t have made any sense whatsoever.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    when someone shamelessly admits to "bragging" while dismissing other's comments as born of "envy", it suggests to me that their ego is far too involved with their automotive choice for them to objectively analyze or discuss it. Whether someone has a "right" or reason to brag does not seem applicable to a vehicle, unless they were somehow instrumental in its development. I don't consider the mere selection of a vehicle to be a personal achievement.

For my part, I'd like to see hybrid vehicles develop beyond the expensive curiosities that have been offered thus far and to constitute a real alternative for "main stream" purchasers - those who are not looking for a better hybrid vehicle, just a better vehicle and if that vehicle happens to be a hybrid at the right price, they'll buy it.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > to constitute a real alternative for "main stream" purchasers

We are definitely on that road. HSD will become available on vehicles that are already extremely popular (like Highlander & Camry) as time proceeds. That aspect alone is a guarantee to stir more interest.

And then there are some current hybrid owners that have intentionally sacrificed MPG for the sake of widening the appeal of those vehicles, by testing new options in real-world situations. In my particular case, I have willingly accepted a 2.5 MPG loss to achieve a noticable improvement in traction, by upgrading to premium grade tires. So those that have to deal with a lot of rain, snow, and ice will know that option is available on hybrids too.

JOHN
    A reporter is looking to talk with someone who purchased a hybrid (or is looking to purchase) because of green AND ethical reasons - e.g. the Toyota Prius doesn't have leather seats = no harm to animals.

Does this profile fit you? If so, the reporter would love to talk with you.

If interested, please email pkrebs@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 23 with your name and daytime contact information.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    >> main stream purchasers

todays hybrids are main stream we don't realize it yet, thats not to say your going to end up in a purple people eater but a 4.0 liter jeep isn't needed to visit the next door neighbor's garage sale.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Paraphrased from a news article and commented by me:

Buy a Honda Insight instead of a Land Rover Discovery - the Insight gets 60 miles to the gallon in the city, 66 miles on the highway.

Drive it 12,000 miles a year. At 60 miles a gallon, that's 200 gallons a year. At $2 a gallon, $400 a year for fuel.

Land Rover Discovery gets 12 miles a gallon in the city, or 1,000 gallons for the same trips. That's $2,000 a year fuel costs.

That adds up to $8,000 over five years, $32,000 if you keep it up over 20.

If you buy the Honda and invest the fuel savings, which come to $133.33 a month and put it into a good stock fund and make an average of 7 percent a year, you'd have $69,500 after 20 years.

The Honda goes for about $20,000, the Land Rover for about $40,000. If you took out a five-year, zero-down loan at a typical rate today of 5.8 percent, payments on the Land Rover would be about $770 a month. The Honda would cost just $385 a month.

Assuming you buy the cheaper car and invest a $385-a-month savings for 20 years: At a 7 percent return, that would grow to slightly more than $200,000. Bingo Daddio !!

Add to your gas savings, you're now ahead by nearly $270,000.

You pay a lot less to insure the cheaper vehicle, and repair costs would be smaller. Maybe you'd be ahead by $300,000, perhaps more.

Not a likely scenario, but mathematically possible....
    It does make you think about your vehicle purchase!
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    You forgot to mention the rule of 72:
    Take that $300,000 and invest that into 12% interest mutual funds over the next 10 years and you'll have saved millions!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    to find a mutual fund that returns 12% on a consistant basis! Let me know when you do. :)
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Fuel economy. Second is reliabitlity. I currently drive a Chrysler 300M (and why my next car must have reliabiltiy), and the interior diminsions (outside of width - but I'm not and "oversized individual, so that doesn't matter) are within tenths of an inch of what I have in my Chrysler. Actually, headroom is greater. But front legroom is so close to being the same (I'm 6'4) as the 300M...Rear legroom is about the same as the 300M...So I really don't care if it's "compact" or not, the interior space FEELS like a much larger car.

For performance....the 300M has "so-so" 0-60 performance, but in the 5 years I've owned it, I've never really encountered a situation where 0-60 times came in handy. The top speed of the 300M is near 150 mph, but I rarely took it above 80...a speed that the Prius is perfectly capable of attaining and maintaining. Bottom line..."high performance" isn't a selling point for me.

Ecology? That's not a driving factor for me, but I can say that I'll feel a little better about being a bit "greener" so that my daughter has a clean world to live in.

But the big thing is fuel economy. It runs on regular, which is selling for $2 a gallon in my area. My driving is almost 80% in town driving - so instead of filling up once or twice a week, I'm hoping to only fill up once or twice a month. I'l be paying MSRP for my Prius when it arrives in March (or earlier). I estimate I'll save about $550 per year on gas. That makes a difference to me.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    For performance....the 300M has "so-so" 0-60 performance The 300M was a hot rod compared to the Prius

I estimate I'll save about $550 per year on gas. That makes a difference to me.
    Let's see payments of $550 per month, the gas savings alone should pay for your first monthly payment leaving you only 11 other payments of $550 for a total net outlay of only $6050. Buying any new car is not an economical proposition. You would be more economical and save a lot more money overall, even with fairly substantial repairs, by keeping your current 300M.

YMMV,
    MidCow

P.S. - Your payments may be less than $550, depending on the downpayment/trade-in, option package ordered and your negotiating skills ( however most pay at least MSRP on Prius) but the above is still illustrative of the new car buying delima.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    quote from MidCow:"Buying any new car is not an economical proposition."-end quote

Actually, in many cases trading a vehicle involved in an unpaid loan *CAN INDEED* be a smart decision.....I.E. if you can get an equal amount for your trade to the value of the car and break even, then get lower payments with the new car, and get bonus gas mileage savings money, and possibly even lower insurance.....

As even your signature indicates, you understand that "your mileage may vary."

My last car deal is an example of such a benefit:

Old Payment: $880
    New Payment: $429
    Annual Savings: $5412

actual July 2003 to July 2004 fuel costs paid: $2200
    Estimated July 2004 to July 2005 costs: $450
    Annual savings: $1750

Annual Insurance Savings: $120

Total saved year 1: $7282
    Average monthly savings: $606

There are obviously other variables which will decrease or increase that number based on currently unknown factors, but all in all, to start out $7282 in the black in Year 1 is not a "bad economic decision." :)
This discussion has been closed.