Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Hybrid MR2 Spyder convertible?

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
One could be on the way from Japan's largest automaker, reports the Web site www.TheCarConnection.com. The site says that Toyota is preparing a hybrid version of the MR2 Spyder convertible for a debut in the next couple of years. The new sports car would use a battery pack to augment its four-cylinder gas engine.

For more info, subscribe to the Convertibles newsletter from your My Edmunds tab.

Comments

• daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    sounds VERY interesting, provided that the design goal is to maintain or improve upon the present performance while improving efficiency. But unless Toyota develops an entirely new hybrid system, the car would have an automatic transmission (engine control, etc.) and be of no interest to me.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    that the idea of a HSD MR2 is not particularly popular. Could it be that auto-everything is anathema to a sports car?
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    I would want to see one! I wouldn't be surprise if HSD MR2 is based on Toyota Volta!

Dennis
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Hasn't Toyota decided to discontinue the MR2 in the US?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I believe Toyota will not be selling 2005 MR2. MR2 HSD might be introduced as 2006 model. So, there will be a year gap there.

Dennis
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    If they did this where or where would they put the batteries? in the passengers seat. There is precious little room in the car now, so the addition of all that weight and space would place this car in a different class. More like a old Dodge Neon convertible than a sports car.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    TODAY/Tuesday

3-4pm EST
    noon-1pm PST
    Hybrid Chat Room
    "If they did this where or where would they put the batteries? in the passengers seat."

Yup. Look at the pic and see how they arranged everything. Remember, Volta is a three seater! There is even a luggage space.

For more info:
    http://www.italdesign.it/dinamic/webspecials/home.html

Dennis
This discussion has been closed.