Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• jeep1947jeep1947 Member Posts: 2
    Took it to dealer to have them scan for trouble codes they agreed to pay for this. They not only found #3 glow plug bad but codes for transmission problems to the tune of $2400.00 got my trade and money back and lots of aplogies from Managment. Thanks for all the help on replies to my problems. They are solved for now. Jeep Taylor
  • pstakempstakem Member Posts: 5
    I don't like chrome, so I changed the grill on my '06 TDI
    to the black GTI/GLI style.

the appropriate part numbers are:

1K0 853 653B VW8 center grill
    1K0 853 677B 9B9 center grill lower
    1K0 854 661M 9B9 left lower grill with duct
    1K0 854 662F 9B9 right lower grill with duct
    1T0 853 601 A FDY VW badge

about $250 for all of the above. Need a torx and a phillips screwdriver.">
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Can you post a pic?
  • geemogeemo Member Posts: 1
    My tdi have 4000 miles on it.I had some issues but it was no big deal.My door panel was not aligned correctly and my door rubber broke because of that,that was fixed with no problems.I have a real irritating rattle coming from the top of the AC unit that is on the dash.It was padded on the inside at the VW dealership but the rattle is still there.
    Any Ideas how to fix that??
  • 610looper610looper Member Posts: 20
    If not here's the Link link title
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Great pics! I could see myself buying a Rabbit with a 2.0 TDI. You have to forgive GM for the Avalanche FFV. They got nothing else to show for billions wasted on research. They are also playing up to the government ethanol scam.

Biodiesel is a better solution. Go Willie!
  • csmcsm Member Posts: 37
    I have been getting less mileage lately with my '03 TDI. Some background info; I use Powerservice grey formula at 8 oz per 12 gallons, no lights or warnings coming on, the car runs fine, no noticeable drop in power or anything of that sort. I usually get around 600 miles to a fill up, but it looks as though that is going to be way off this by the end of this next tank. I have two thought regarding the matter. 1) I have started using a a different diesel fuel station - a RoadMaster station out on the interstate because of price. The performance seems to be the same though. 2) I have not changed the air filter, but it is not due for another 10k. I live in a fairly clean area as opposed to the country and gravel roads etc. Is that something I should check? The car has 67k miles on it. That does not seem to be an issue.
    Could it be that there is such a difference in fuel quality? Why wouldn't I notice other issues like poorer performance, smoking, etc.. Anyway, fuel mileage sure seems to be trailing off. Any comments? Thanks.
    Another thing, I have been looking all over for SUV 5w40. Used to get it at Walmart, but not anymore. They only carry 5w30. What's up? Any one know? Can't get an answer out of WalMart. I can't find it at any of the local parts stores either. Anyone have a good place over the net to but it? Thanks.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    There are mamy reasons that your MPG would go down. I doubt that the air-filter is the problem...they have been shown to go well over 20K miles without measurable reduction of flow.

An easy thing to check is your "snow filter"

Also make sure your intake is clean.

You may also want to clean your injectors.

Another thing to check is your injection timing using a VagCom
    I too have given up on Wallmart ever having the oil that our TDIs need.

Thus, I have found supplies for my TDI at TDIPARTS. They carry several oils which have VW approval.

They dont have mobil1 SUV5W40 (Which does not have VW approval anyway)
    Thank you for the reply. Let me ask you this in regard to cleaning the injectors. Do you mean by adding something to the fuel, and is that effective, or do you mean to physically remove them and clean them, as you would spark plugs?

Thanks
    Neither! Did you even click on the links I supplied above?

Please review the link I supplied about cleaning the injectors... They are cleaned using solvent WHILE STILL INSTALLED IN THE ENGINE. The step-by-step instructions are quite clear about how to do this.
    I am on dial-up, and when I clicked on the link, it was going to take over 10 minutes to download the PDF, so I stopped it. I wasn't even thinking of that when I asked the question, and I certainly understand your response after viewing the link. Sorry. I do appreciate the links that you sent. I went to the Library and burnt a CD of the download.
    Let me ask you this, how often should this diesel purge injector cleaning be performed - as regular maintaince, at what mileage perhaps - or just when things seem amiss?

Thanks again.
    Some folks do this type of thorough injector cleaning every 50 -to- 60 thousand miles.

Here is another link to a very simulsr way of cleaning the injectors. This method will also work for the newer "Pumpe Duse" engines which have the feeder pump in the fuel tank.

http://sustainablepower.net/TDI/info-articles/LubroMoly_Diesel_Purge_Procedure_P- - D-VE_TDI.pdf
  • bpopmanbpopman Member Posts: 2
    Looking at buying 2003 TDI Jetta GLS, Auto, Leather It has 80000 km(50000 miles) for $21995 before tax(25300 w/tax). This is the non-negotiated price. It is from a VW dealer with the cert. VW warranty for 2yr or 40000km.

Dealer says one owner, lease return, all serviced at the dealer. Have not seen it, but assuming its o.k, how much can I deal for? What other things can I possibly get thrown in? Yes, I want it but what is my best strategy??

Any help/opinions of car would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks
  • spigner99spigner99 Member Posts: 2
    I am a proud owner of a 2006 Jetta TDI which has 10,400 miles now. It gets 53mpg always. But going to the dealer for an oil change is out of the question now after the 1st time spending $80 for it. All the talk about VW 505.01 approved oil is boring. All you have to do is contact your favorite oil manufacturer and ask them about their products as I recently did with Valvoline. I asked them about their 5W40 Synpower. Here is their response:

The current Synpower 5W40 is not approved against the VW 505.01 specification. It uses VW 505.01 capable chemistry, similar to the chemistry used in our Synpower MST 5W-30 that we are progressing an official VW 505.01 approval on, and the 5W40 meets all the physical and chemical characteristics required for the VW 505.01 specification. We feel based on the engine test data and the Physical/Chemical characteristics it has VW 505.01 performance and we fully back its use in applications calling for a VW 505.01 approved product.

The Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 also VW 505.01 capable chemistry, similar to our Synpower MST 5W-30 and again we feel it would perform well where a VW
    505.01 approved oil was required. Both the Synpower 20W-50 and Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 will have volatility, viscosity and Sulphated Ash Phos and Sulphur levels to meet the specification.

So you see, there are maufacturers who make oil that meets all of the requirements but VW has not approved it yet. VW and Castrol have a racket going to make you buy it from them at $8 a qt. I payed $5.68 for the Synpower. It is also readily available at walmart and your local auto parts stores. Valvoline also states they stand behind their product which means if your oil causes a failure they pay for it. When in doubt ask, do your research and don't believe everything you read in a chat room.
  • kitty9kitty9 Member Posts: 6
    Don't know much about the oil debate, but I'm sure envious of your 53 mpg. My 2006 tdi, 3350 miles, standard shift, has a tops of 37 mpg. Hoping for improvement...
    Good luck getting Walmart or the oil company to fight a warranty issue. I only paid $6.13 a liter at my VW dealer. I have the peace of mind that anything goes wrong VW is the one responsible. The simple statement that it is not approved would scare me off. I would not pay 80 bucks for an oil change either. If you buy the oil from VW and change it yourself you are not violating the warranty. It is so easy to change a TDI oil and filter I would not trust some hack to do it.
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    You don't have to buy your engine oil from the dealer. I always buy mine off of the internet and get approved 505.01 engine oils for what you paid for your Synpower. The Pump Deuse Unit Injectors in the engines develop 29,000 psi of fuel pressure that is getting sprayed into the cylinder. The cam shaft needs to put a lot of force on to the injector to develop that pressure, hence the requirement for a engine oil that can sustain that level of sheer stress. There are documented cases of people who did not use the correct oil and damaged their engines. Until an oil gets tested by VW in this engine and get their official stamp of approval I would just not use it. If you cannot document that you are using an approved engine oil your engine warranty will be useless. If you check the threads at tdiclub there are many posts where the used engine oil is sent out for analysis and you can compare the results to see which oils perform the best.
  • spigner99spigner99 Member Posts: 2
    I have been to tdiclub.com and seen a lot of people using Mobil1 SUV oil. Mobil1 is not approved either. According to the service manager at VW the only oil approved is Castrol which is not available except through VW. Tell me that is not a racket. Before my TDI I drove a 2004 F250 Power Stroke diesel and had no problems using whatever oil I wanted to. Oil manufacturers see what new vehicles are coming and prepare for production of oils that meet or exceed maufacturers specs. It's that or get left behind. I drive a 2006 Peterbilt 379 with a 550 CAT twin turbo engine. Do you think that these engines see a litlle more extreme use than a TDI? I do. Cat doesn't tell you that you have to buy their oil. I use Shell Rotella 15W40 in my truck and change the oil at 15,000 miles. I've been driving diesel powered trucks for 16 years and have never had an engine failure and I don't think that is because my oil of choice is far superior to another brand. If there are oil companies producing inferior products you will hear about it. And if that is the case they won't be ASE certified. All I'm trying to get across is don't let anyone fool you, i.e VW dealer who wants all of your money, into buying one particular brand when there are many to choose from. I know that my $136,000 truck runs great with oil not approved by VW.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I would not disagree with your categorization. At same time, they leave enough of an out so they do not run a foul of the anti-trust laws (whose name escapes me at this writing). They just say in fact they do sell Castrol and say they are ok with sanctioned VW spec 500.xxx. The problem of course they are not commonly available and of course not many vendors are willing to go through the cost of certification and continuance for potentially a very small market; such as Motul, ELF, Schaffers.

Of course, not a day goes by when the dealer's put in the INCORRECT (VW spec 500.xxx) oil in the TDI's, during an oil change.

Insofar as potential VW warranty claims on TDI engines. They are RARE and REMOTE as you have alluded and would probably agree. Just keep in mind that Peterbilt will not stand behind the VW warranty and vice versa.

I use Delvac One 5w40, aka Mobil One 5w40 in a 2003 VW Jetta TDI ever since its first OEM recommended OCI at 5,000 miles. After the first oil change the oem recommendation is 10,000 miles. I run 25,000 OCI's. However it is 64% beyond its mileage warranty of 50,000 miles. It runs like the proverbial top.
    Folks -- There is a lot of misinformation about oil and TDI engines. The newer (pumpe duse) engines requre different oil than other TDI engines. Lest camshaft damage will occour.

FIRST -- you must know the proper VW designation for YOUR engine. (ie... VW502.00, VW502.01, VW504.00, VW505.01, VW506.00, VW506.01, VW507.00....etc)
    THEN -- you need to look for that on the bottle of oil.

Most dealerships are mis-informed and will tell you that their oil is the ONLY correct one. WRONG!
    Any oil that DISPLAYS the approprate VW designation for your engine is the correct oil. (not one that the maker "SAYS" it meets the VW spec)

I will concede that there are some oil manufacturers who have chosen to not pay for the approval process on their products. (Delvac1 is one example)

Here is the official Volkswagen list of approved oils.

Here is a website that specializes in supplying TDI parts. (Including several oil brands with the VW designations)
    http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/
    It looks like many oil companies make the proper spec oil for the TDI. Due to limited sales in the US they don't bother to supply it here. I for one would never give VW America a chance to void a warranty. Not for a savings of $5 every 10k miles. That is just crazy.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi:

Its me....from IDLSUVWDY ! I have been busy lately...and not posted much for over an year... anyways...a big Howdy from me to you guys and to all others here on this thread....!!! :)

Today I bought a used VW jetta TDI !! I backed away from priuses.....and finally made the plunge. HAd the thing for only 4 hours now....love it so far.....do not know what the gas mileage is....

But curious as to the usage of oil products, IS it that critical ? I use different viscosities for my cayenne, and diff manufacturer for the supercharged suburban. So far no problems....is it that critical for jetta tdi ?

Also, how long do these engines last ?

are the oils recommended by VW considered synthetic ? THe guy who sold it to me said it was 5W-40 synthetic only. HE did most of the work on his car...

thanks.....
    Good to hear from you after your hiatus!

The discussion on the "correct" oil can be short and sweet to long and contentious. So in order of short to long, your specific owners manual will give you the specific " VW spec" VW 50x.xx for your model year. Once we know your model year, we can do a specfic recommendation, all the way to compare and contrasting of different brands.

On a 2003 VW Jetta TDI, UNDER the "Tips and Advice, Engine oil, Specifications and viscosity, Diesel engine" owners manual 3.2- 2003 Jetta pg 36:

the specific VW specification is VW spec 505.00.

The other two are:

ACEA B3 or ACEA B4

API Service CF4 or API Service CG4.

There are of course a few more paragraphs, but this should be similar in your case. But this should start you off.

I use Mobil One Truck and SUV aka Delvac One 5w40 (synthetic). The specification it meets on the spec sheets and owners manual are the API Service CF4 or API Service CG4. It has 82,000 miles and runs like the proverbial top with 25,000 mile OCI's.
    Good to hear from you. Hope you got a good deal on your TDI. They can bring a big premium from those that know what they have for sale. KBB and Edmund's are so far off on the actual selling prices of these little jewels.

PS
    A friend in Idaho sold his 2003 Jetta TDI for $18k. That is $6k more than Edmund's shows for a private sale.
    To answer your question "Also, how long do these engines last ?" .... VW gives life expectnacy in "hours" there is a thereticial lifespan that some folks have calculated from that.... it is WELL over 500,000 miles.

This assumes that you RELIGESLY follow the maintaince recommendations. VWs (as most Euro. automobiles) need to be maintained. Crontast this with many Asian vehicles which seem to be designed for the owners manual to be ignored 8-)
  • 50mpg50mpg Member Posts: 2
    Why has it jumped from about $2.20 to almost $3 a gallon while the price of oil and other gas in general has been coming way down? Is this a temporary issue or what? Is there a shortage of diesel now? I live in No. Virginia. Help, I'm being screwed!
    Hi Rukes:

I just bought a 2002 jetta tdi,,,but with 109,000 miles...the guy lives in Stockton, but works in Redwood City..so lots of miles per day....

I just read the owners manual...and it is as you said....for the oil specs.

I will try to use the Mobil one at the next oil change.

Any suggestions from anyone on the possibility of using biodiesel in the jetta ? Does it need to be converted ? Or can you just add some filtered frying oil ? I have no idea....

Good to talk to you again.
    Hi Gagrice:

I searched the whole California...all sites, craigslist, dealers, etc.....and found this one in Stockton. It had a high mileage for a 2002 jetta tdi..109414...but all freeway...considering his one way commute of 75 miles per day.

I agree with you...most people wanted over $15,000 for the jetta tdi....

Edmunds say it should be worth about 9000 wholesale, 10,000 retail >???? But I bought it for $13,500....and there were 4 more buyers in line....and this was the cheapest in the state at this time.

It had all the service, and the owner was meticulous in maintenance. I hope all will go well.

hey...I did not know you had a tdi ? what model is it ?
    hi bpeebles:

WOW... I had heard that these engines last from 200,000 to 400,000 miles...therefore I was willing to plunge into the 109,000 miles one that I bought.

So do you think this lifespan is realistic ?

does anyone here have a diesel engine with high mileage above 200,000 ?

I plan on doing all necessary maintenance...but how do I drain the water separator ?
    HOw soon should I change the air filters ?
    Is the K&N filter ( owner gave me one, but says that it may not work as well as paper filter ) better ?

Thanks

h
    I bought a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI in April 2005 and sold it May of this year. Made 3 grand and got to use it for a year. It was fun to drive on the back roads of San Diego county. Handled beautifully. The only diesel I have right now is my MB Cruiser, built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I am selling it also. No time to vacation now that I am retired. Keeping up with 5 acres of tropical plants and citrus is a full time job. We may sell that too.

Good luck with that VW TDI. Make sure they did the timing belt at 80K miles.
    OK. this gets us in the right church and now it is a matter of pew choice for a whole host of things. :)

"There are of course a few more paragraphs, but this should be similar in your case. But this should start you off.

I use Mobil One Truck and SUV aka Delvac One 5w40 (synthetic). The specification it meets on the spec sheets and owners manual are the API Service CF4 or API Service CG4. It has 82,000 miles and runs like the proverbial top with 25,000 mile OCI's. "

The 2003 Jetta TDI is materially the same as YOUR 2002 for oil specification purposes. Given the commute route of the previous owner, it is possibly some of the "BEST" freeway miles you can put on a car (from an engines point of view). I would not hesitate to use Mobil One Truck and SUV 5w40 aka Delvac One 5w40.

As you probably have found out, availability can sometimes be spotty to non existent. I have gotten a few 5 qt containers, Mobil One Truck and SUV 5w40 at various local (and FL) WalMart's. If you want to use Delvac One 5w40, you might need to goggle your local truck stop or truck supplier.

I got 1 (4-1 gal containers each, per cse) case at a truck stop AND supplier at: 408-292-1041, Western States, 1790 10th Street, San Jose, CA (near Spartan Stadium, San Jose State University) They also coincidently sell B99 Biodiesel. Do a goggle, for more info about Western States. Ask them for a discount, tell them you heard about them on the TDICLUB web site.

Also WALMART carries Shell Rotella and Rotella synthetic, which of course meets the API specifications for YOUR 2002. Either is FAR cheaper than the Mobil One/Delvac per qt. There are also some local distributors of Motul. ELF seems like a very robust product. Schaffer's offers free shipping for over 250. orders. Castrol is of course available at the local VW dealers.

..."I plan on doing all necessary maintenance...but how do I drain the water separator ?
    HOw soon should I change the air filters ?
    Is the K&N filter ( owner gave me one, but says that it may not work as well as paper filter ) better ? "...

The hardest part about draining the water separator is "getting to it" . SO, it is unloosen the philips headed band clamp, lift or slide out for access. Once you get to it, it is really as simple as unloose the plastic drain cock (at the bottom of the filter), (let the proper amount of fuel drain out) retighten the drain cock.

The Vehicle Maintenance Schedule recommends each 40,000 miles on the air filter.

Stay with the OEM air filters!!!! Do NOT use the K & N air filter!!! It is NOT better. It is actually worse in that it lets more particles in rather than less.
    That was great on how you did on the passat tdi....

Have a great time with your 5 acres of plants...I am envious.. :D

thanks for all your info.....
    That is great, rukes ! I did a comparison of PRius and tdi diesel cars, and made the switch to diesel as my focus point for purchase. As you may recall, for the past 3 years I was harping on about the merits of the prius....do not get me wrong, I am not bashing priuses...but Ounce for ounce....the tdi diesels , in my opinion, beat the hybrids, at least for now/up to now.

I will use the oil that you suggested. I will start the search now. THe seller was nice enough to give me the oil timing belt, about 8 oil filters, and a rather new looking , oiled K&N filter....but he also said the same thing that you said...he said he feels the K&N does not improve any fuel economy or increase power...but lets soot go in.....but he gave it to me anyways, . I guess I will let it sit .

Thanks for the tip on the supplier..I will make my way down there, on the way to visit my sister in law in Sunnyvale...

Cheers....!! and hang in there....
    Yeah, I think if the seller gave you oil, by all means use it. No sense keeping it on the shelf. Those 8 oil filters will give you a min of 80,000 miles, so you are definitely good to go, going forward.
    Historically, the price of Diesel goes UP in the fall. This is because most of us in cold climates heat with fuel-oil (which is basically #2 diesel fuel)

Also, the manditory rollout of ULSD is expected to make the price go up too.

The rules of "supply and demand" apply here 8-)
    tread carefully here Mobil One Truck and SUV has been reformulated in the past few months. It is NO LONGER suitable for a diesel engine. Do not use reformulated "Mobil One Truck and SUV" in a TDI engine. It is easy to spot the reformulated "Mobil One Truck and SUV" because it is now 5W30 (instead of the required 5W40)

The proper mobil1 oil for the NON pumpe-duse TDI engine is:
    Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
    reformulated ? OK....I will follow rukes recommendations and look to see if the oils have the proper certs..of CH-4 or CG-4......

thanks for the heads up....
    where the cheapest diesel station are at ?

I went to biofuel oasis in berkeley yesterday and filled up the jetta with biodiesel. cost is $3.70 per gallon. I hear that with biodiesel, the fuel economy will also drop by 5 to 10%.....so going renewable costs more.

I am not sure , but I think Costco does not sell diesel., is that right ?
    The truth is it varies and is somewhat of a sport to search out. So if I may, here is one tool in the tool bag.

http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D
    thanks rukes...

I searched on the site, and it gave me the oaklandgasprice.com link....so I have the info now....
    As I recall the #2 diesel places off Highway 880 seem to be consistently cheaper than most, like corner stores!! :)
  • harryeharrye Member Posts: 5
    hello sebring, harrye here. i noticed you have a 2000 jetta tdi as do i. i was driving it in second gear when a pop! occured. the engine now sounds significantly louder and there is white smoke pouring out of the exhaust. any thoughts on what it might be? a seal problem in the cooler?
    thanks for your time, harry
  • harryeharrye Member Posts: 5
    hello. my name is harry and am new to this forum. i have a 2000 jetta tdi that just experienced a pop! when in second gear. the engine now sounds significantly louder when i turn it over and there is white smoke flying out of the exhaust. needless to say i'm not driving it right now. anybody have any ideas what it might be? a seal in the cooler? thanks,harry
    What you describe sounds as if the piping from the turbocharger and the intake manifold has popped off. Often this can be easilly seen by looking under the hood and check the plumbing on the PASSENGERS side of the engine from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Make sure the pipes are still connected.

If that pipe looks OK... then check the plumbing from the turbocharger -to- the intercooler. (Much harder to get at because it is accessed from underneath)
    Woops...hit the wrong key! Since I am having trouble finding Mobil One products, I wonder what anyone's thoughts are concerning Castrol Syntec 5W40? I can purchase it locally. It is labeled for and specifically mentions VW TDI on the label. My TDI has always had Mobil One in it. This might seem like silly question, but would you, who know, run a different brand - any brand? I can't see where there would be a problem because they are the same viscosity etc.
    Also, Where can one get a good price on the Lubra Molly Diesel Purge that I have been considering. Thank you.
    As I recall, you have a 2003 TDI (same as I). The Castrol Syntec 5W40 is what the VW dealership would use (VW imports that oil to USA for TDI)

For TDIs with the "pumpe duse" engine, that oil would likely destroy the camshafts. Now that the "pumpe duse" engine has been available for a few years.... the ones run with the incorrect oil are starting to end up in the shop with camshaft problems.
    Great memory Mr. bpeebles. Yes, I have an '03 A4 Jetta. 1.9 TDI. Well, I may as well use that brand then. I know that I wouldn't want to mix oils, but for doing a change w/filter, there is no problem with going to another brand?
    While I have you, I was wondering about the Diesel purge info. The second one you sent, from TDI.parts.com and concerning the info from Mike04golfTDI is very interesting. I was wondering, on the diagram listing A=fuel out from filter, and B = fuel return, concerning the point where I unhook from them, is there a problem with fuel spillage that I need to be aware of? I thank you for sending those. I may use the set up described with the funnel system, simply because I have the funnel.
    Thanks for your input.