Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

1878889909193»

Comments

• alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    edited February 2013
    Could not agree more. Local guy to me ran a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD 105bhp, (i.e. pre-DPF/Euro III), for 410k miles before handing it over to his wife as the family hack. Still going strong and has had no issues. Timely servicing and correct fluids are the keys to long life. Work 'em hard - they love it. :)
  • aeezkaeezk Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2006 Jetta Tdi. Just yesterday, on a 7 1/2 hour drive home, the Jetta started losing the ability to maintain speed and acceleration on steep inclines. Pretty scary when your going 80 on the expressway with traffic behind you and all of the sudden your dropping speed!! Over the past couple of days it has been having an occasional sputter, which initially felt like the back tires were slipping. We were in a very cold area in Norther Michigan. However, the sputters started happening more frequently, then the acceleration loss started happening. The jetta made it home fine, seems to run a little rough. No engine lights or warning have come on. Any suggestions, does this require yet another costly trip to the dealership?? I have 167,000 miles on the vehicle.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would think fuel first off. Are you using Number one diesel in sub zero weather?
  • 06tdibadcam06tdibadcam Member Posts: 10
    My experience for my 2006 Jetta TDI. Faithfully used the VW TDI synthetic oil and changed trans fluid at $450 per change also.
    Wife was driving on interstate, experienced loss of power, engine still ran, drove home, could tell power was down........3 of the lifters had holes in top and cam was worn on some lobes at 92,000 miles. Researched and there was an issue with our model '06 Jetta TDI but VW said it ws our problem, not theirs. Was told by many that the cam was a bad design, had narrow lobes?, and did more than just move the lifters?.
    You might want to have shop check out the lifters and cams. We found a shop that did cam and lifters and related for $2800. Waiting for recall, but not expecting any money back from VW.
    I have photos of lifters and worn cam if interested.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    There are many pages of posts regarding the MK5 BRM cam problems and possible solutions. Many creative guys have looked at the design and tried various back engineering tricks to resolve it but there are so many different factors involved it seems there is no 'silver bullet' fix. VW blaming the owners for the problem tho', is just SICK!

The reason the cam lobes are so narrow in the MK5 is because they also have to operate the 4 fuel injectors as well as all the valves. The engine block is short and to make room for the extra 4 lobes they simply made them all narrower. This puts a lot of extra pounds per square inch pressure on the followers and they eventually beat their way through the tops of the cam followers...(but always out of warranty).

The 2006 VW Jetta TDI is an amazing car in many ways, but it is over engineered in places, and built like crap in others. VW knew the top end of the BRM engine was a problem and just dropped that whole design and marched on with the MK6 in the next re-do.
    In fact the whole idea of the diesel engine economy is now a joke. The extra premium for the engine and the sky rocketing price of diesel makes the diesel vehicle ownership either a financial saw off or an outright losing proposition over the more fuel efficient gassers out there now.

Pardon me if I sound like a crank, but I think there is a conspiracy to get all the diesel car engines off the road by constantly increasing the emmissions standards and upping the price of the fuel well over that of gasoline.

(after all they can't force us to buy their Govt subsidised Ethenol in our TDI cars can they?)
    Well, guess what, it WAS the bad alternator pulley that was causing the shuddering problem!

Since it was replaced i have driven the car for over 3,000 highway miles and it has never faltered once, even tho I have tried to make it shudder by easing off on the downhill side of the run and then easing back on the engine as it starts to pull again going up the other side.

Nope, it won't do it anymore, so that is the end of that little story.
  • carp53carp53 Member Posts: 4
    We had an injector fail on a 2010 TDI with 75,000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue and how much should the part cost ?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    pricey little devil. The "book" says $337 retail for the part and 1.4 hours labor to install, so in my neck of the woods that's a $500 repair bill.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tigrone701tigrone701 Member Posts: 7
    I have a Jetta '08 which does the same thing as you have explained earlier.
    I went to a dealer and he explained that is how it is going to be as the car is 5 years old (a real jacka..).
    Most probably fan control module 1 and 2 are not communicating well and thus
    this problem.
    If the cooling fan blows out due to this, the expenses are $900 for repair.
    The radiator cooling Fans (big one) on my Jetta '08 suddenly starts speeding too much on the road.
    It makes way too much noise (compared to normal) and the dealer says it is NORMAL to have a sound
    like this.

I guess the control fan module 1 and 2 // sensors are not communicating properly and needs to be
    changed. Maybe the radiator fluid needs to be replaced.

Can someone guide me through this.

I am afraid that sooner or later the fans will burn out and I will have to shell out big bucks changing
    the entire fan unit.
  • civilenginee1civilenginee1 Member Posts: 2
    I would not touch an '04 TDI with an automatic transmission for any amount of money at this time. I've been dealing with a transmission problem since January 2013. I have an 04 Jetta with 178,000 miles. Dealer wanted $5000 to replace with 1 year warranty or $3500 for a junk yard replacement & no warranty. I chose another transmission shop for $4200 with 2 year warranty. Car is back in the shop for the 3rd time since January with the same problem. Will not up shift out of 1st gear. So far the tranny shop can't figure it out and VW dealer is no help.
  • newvolkswagonnewvolkswagon Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying used 2010 jetta with 35000 miles. Loved test drive but have heard problems arise after 36000 miles. Any insight?
  • carp53carp53 Member Posts: 4
    we have a 2010 jetta tdi with 75,000 - only issue was a bad injector which was about $ 450. to replace otherwise we love it
  • rremer1rremer1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2010 has around 33,000 miles, so can't report on what happens after 36,000, but so far (fingers crossed), all's well and nothing has needed work that is not covered by the warrantee.
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if VW ever solved the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues in the new model, or are still blaming it on owners putting in gas instead of diesel fuel.

My 06' Mk 5 is still running fine (using Shell Rotella T6) and can't really find a good excuse to take a chance and trade it in for a new one.
  • dieselgirl1998dieselgirl1998 Member Posts: 1
    1-4 WORKS.. NO REVERSE. NO 5TH GEAR.. ITS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO GET THERE BUT IT WONT GO IN? Some say tranny, some say no... Whats your thoughts..? Would really love to know if its an easy fix... PLEASE HELP
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Shift linkage may be damaged.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited July 2013
    A news reporter is looking to talk with a Volkswagen owner-enthusiast for an upcoming story. If you think you can help, please send a message with your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Sunday, August 4, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited July 2013
    Sorry to say this. But buyer better know your future !
    These VW Jettas are designed to fail after 40000 miles in a way that
    you will have electronic issues (big ones) as soon as you are out of your warranty.
    They have a lot a electronic issues as well as mechanical issues with this model.
    But they drive well if you are willing to take big hits every once in a while :)
    Best to Google 2010 VW Jetta TDI problems and see what comes up...I just found this interesting recall that still puzzles me..

Recall Date:
    OCT 03, 2011
    Model Affected:
    2010 Volkswagen Jetta
    Summary:
    VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL 2009-2012 JETTA AND JETTA SPORTWAGEN VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2008 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 AUDI A3 VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L TDI COMMON RAIL DIESEL ENGINE/CLEAN DIESEL ENGINE. THE FUEL INJECTION PULSES COULD COINCIDE WITH THE NATURAL FREQUENCY OF THE INJECTOR LINE #2, IN SPECIFIC LOAD AND RPM CONDITIONS. THIS RESONANCE CREATES ADDITIONAL STRESS IN THE FUEL LINE.
    Consequences:
    DUE TO THE RESONANCE CONDITION, INJECTOR LINE NUMBER 2 COULD DEVELOP SMALL CRACKS WHICH COULD LEAD TO FUEL LEAKAGE. LEAKING FUEL IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, MAY LEAD TO A FIRE.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/volkswagen/jetta/recalls/#ixzz2adkZj8Ro

What ever happened to fuel lines that lasted until the wheels fell off?
  • mamx4mamx4 Member Posts: 10
    I am really curious what is supposed to fail at 40,000 miles! I am 167,000 (plus as of today) and have had to have an airbag light reset 1 time and have had to replace a few lamps. Other than normal maintenance the only other thing I have done is replace the CV axles at 135,000 because the driver's side was worn out (and I did it myself, really easy). That is from living out in the country on several miles of gravel road. I have had no "big hits" at all, and at 42 mpg, the little thing just keeps right on going.
  • ttzttz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know who the camshaft manufacturer was for the 2006 Jetta TDI made in Puebla, Mexico plant?
  • 06tdibadcam06tdibadcam Member Posts: 10
    I will look for a manufacturers stamp on the 80,000 mile worn out cam (narrow version) and lifters with holes in the tops that I still have saved in my garage. Saved them next to a quart of the expensive synthetic oil that the dealer used on the scheduled oil changes.
    edited August 2013
    Our VW 06' Jetta BRM Engines were all built in Poland, and the other bits put together in Mexico, what could go wrong with that!~
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    When I was comparing a Prius to a Jetta TDI, maintenance and repairs was the main reason I stayed clear of the Jetta. I bought a used '06 Prius a few years ago with 40K miles and now I'm at 100K miles with zero problems to date, and based on the reliability of the Prius I don't forsee any issues for many more years.
  • mamx4mamx4 Member Posts: 10
    What problems with the TDI? Just went to 168,000 this AM. Live on a gravel road, 10 miles of gravel and dirt daily. Only thing I have done to this vehicle over 168,000 miles is replace the CV axles on the front at 135,000. My son and I did that easily, but had to have it aligned after we got done. I change the oil myself with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 every 5000 miles since it was brand new. Have buried it to the frame twice in the winter when snow and rain created deep enough mud that had to go get the John Deere to get it out. I would leave tomorrow in it to go to California if I had to, this is the absolutely most reliable car I have had in the last 30 years. If you think your Prius is reliable, I have a neighbor that you need to talk to--sold his at 95,000 because they got tired of replacing plastic that came off on our gravel roads. Guess what he drives now........yep, a 2009 Jetta TDI. He is at 62,000 and absolutely no problems either. Diesel, yep you can't ignore routine maintenance, but otherwise stay out of the way and I will sail by at 42 mpg at 80 mph.
    What problems with the TDI?

Very good post.
    You point out several weaknesses in the Prius. Snow and ice practically leave them stranded. Unless they have added a switch to disable the electronic traction control I am sure it is still an issue. The Touareg has a switch to give you better control in snow and off road conditions.

I am still waiting for someone in a Prius to beat the records held by VW on 48 state trips. Our own Wayne Gerdes set the latest record. And he was a hard core Hybrid fan.

Volkswagen set a new Guinness World Record last week for lowest fuel consumption during an 8,122-mile tour of the lower 48 states in a Volkswagen Passat TDI Clean Diesel, achieving 77.99 mpg during the trip. This new record bested the previous one by about 10 mpg. During this record-setting trip the Passat TDI Clean Diesel also beat the hybrid record by more than 13 miles per gallon.

The 48-state trip took 14 days, with drivers Wayne Gerdes and Bob Winger purchasing only 104.94 gallons of Shell's ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel for the duration of the trip. Gerdes is the founder of cleanmpg.com and is quite skilled in hypermiling techniques, which the driving team utilized throughout the trip.
    Outside of TDI forums, most reviews are far more negative with respect to maintenance and reliability towards VW than Toyota. And the Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles around. Plus I'm not sure why a hybrid has any effect on driving in snow??

And if you go to fueleconomy.gov and compare a prius to a vw tdi you'll see that the prius on average beats the VW tdi in the real world driving and not some hypermiling test.
    And the Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles around.

So is my refrigerator. Does not make it all that enjoyable to be around. Yes the Prius is a decent appliance vehicle. Have I enjoyed the times I have ridden in them? NO, they are noisy rough riding little cars. Not in any way a pleasure to ride in or drive. Hey, but that is the beauty of America, so far. We can each drive what we like. I just got rid of a gas hog Toyota. So I am not in any way looking for another. At least it was a pleasure to get in and drive after running around town in my buddies Prius. The Prius I suggested he check out and he bought. He likes it fine. And he gets good mileage.
    My comment wasn't to the couple of TDI lovers that troll Edmunds forums, but to the folks commenting on TDI reliability issues. Many folks really do just look at their cars as a means of getting from point A to B with the least amount of fuss as possible. Reliability and low operating costs are much more important than the "sporty feeling" they get when merging on highway entrance ramp.
    The question I would have for you. What kind of problems have you had with a VW Jetta TDI that you have owned? A troll is someone that hangs out on a thread for a vehicle they don't like. I have no problem debating the hybrid vs diesel questions. You came to a specific vehicle thread to try and make it look bad compared to another vehicle. If you have had personal problems with a Jetta TDI, it is legitimate. If you are just repeating something you read, you should expect those that have had good luck with their VW TDI to respond. I have owned VW TDIs, I am on my second one and happy with both. I have also owned a hybrid and hated it. All well documented in the appropriate threads.
    I was responding to others in this forum making comments on problems they've had with VW TDIs, which was simply that those types of issues were one of the reason I didn't purchase a VW TDI. There may be some folks reading this forum thinking about buying a VW TDI like I was and it's good to have facts posted. If you can find some facts indicating that VW producing more reliably cars than Toyoto, or more specfically, that a Jetta TDI is more reliable and will have less ownership costs than a Prius we'd like to see them. From what I've read, the Prius has the Jetta TDI beat in this area, but please post contrary facts.
  • jwohjwoh Member Posts: 1
    FYI, I have 2010 Jetta TDI w/ 110K miles. Engine light came on and was coding particulate filter. Dealer said would cost $4800. Took it to an independent, confirmed the code for particulate filter but volume of exhaust was still strong. Investigated further and replaced exhaust filter behind DPF. Fixed. $380 vs $4800
    Good for you, it pays to find a good Indy shop. We got the same over priced run around with the Lexus. I think dealers are looking for the sucker to bite on their set prices. They would shotgun the whole system to cover their behinds.
  • jdsfresjdsfres Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 VW Jetta TDI wagon with 23,000 miles and I've been raving about the car until this week. I like the 38-43 mpg and the handling is almost as good as my 2001 Passat.

Unfortunately, the Passat has been given to a son and now has 150,000 miles and the Jetta last week had the entire fuel system destroyed. The car suddenly lost power as I was driving. I was told by VW dealer who did the repair, that the high pressure fuel pump was the cause of the failure and because diesel fuel lubricates the pump, most likely I had dirty or contaminated fuel. But they did not verify that the tank had been contaminated. I buy diesel at one location 95% of the time, and that location is noted on the VW website as a place to purchase fuel. So I have no answer to the question I asked the technician: How do I prevent this from happening again? I honestly don't know if I got a truthful story from them.

I'm interested in finding out if this has happened to other diesel car owners. I've lost my confidence in VW after owning VW's for 15 years.
  • jdsfresjdsfres Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2011 Jetta TDI wagon back after a complete destruction of the fuel system supposedly due to dirty fuel, but not verified. It was under warranty, but I must say I've lost my confidence in the car. Suddenly losing power on the road is scary. I got no real answer from the dealer. I buy diesel from a station listed on the VW website.

The day before this happened I would have given the car an A+ for everything especially the 38-43 mpg I get.
    edited September 2013
    Thank goodness it was still under warranty. I no longer trust any manufacturer. I buy the extended warranty to cover how long I plan to have the vehicle. With a bit extra when I go to sell it. I don't think ULSD is as good at lubricating as the old high sulfur fuel. But the old stuff will also mess up the fuel system.

What brand of diesel do you use 95% of the time. I have only used Chevron and Shell so far and get equal mileage from both.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited September 2013
    The HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) is AFTER the fuel-filter so it should NEVER EVER get contaminated unless the filter is not installed properly. (dirty fuel getting past it)

It has been said many times before... always Always ALWAYS add your favorite diesel-fuel-conditioner when filling up.

Unlike additives for gasoline engines, a Diesel-fuel conditioner actually has measureable benefits:
    *)LUBRICATION of the fuel-system
    *) Increase Cetane of fuel (measurably increased MPG and quieter running engine)
    *) in winter - eliminate gelling

Personally, I have always used DIESEL KLEEN® which is available at Walmart. (Grey bottle in summer and white bottle in winter)

At the risk of repeating common-knowledge... keep the bottle of additive in the trunk along with a supply of 8oz paper-cups. Just before filling up, grab a paper-cup and form a 'spout' on it. Pour approximately 6oz into paper cup and dump into fuel-filler before turning on the pump.

In this way, you can toss the used paper-cup in nearest trashcan and keep any odors out of your trunk.
  • ken1idaken1ida Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 VW Jetta the cheapest car I have owned and I,m 65 and my parents drove VW.I am very mechanical as I have a construction company and have rebuilt VW diesels before.My 2006 twin cam 1.9 was a wonderful car after the defective roll over valve was replaced.(It was the cause of a tdi new shutting down in sub zero at night and freezing to death two young grand children!!) My 2012 has the best of care and drove 70 miles to Port Huron and fueled the car at Murphys fuel at Walmart before returning.I was lucky to get back as I had some contaminated fuel (some water and sludge) I had to take car into VW for six days and discovered the rear electric fuel pump has no sock but sucks thru a small filter screen over the 3/4" hole which got debri and did not send enough fuel to the last high presure mechanical pump which failed and sent metal debri thru injectors and lines. This pump has NO FILTER and fails often! Note no metal was found but car just lost power and I was charged $10000.00 I have only 20000 miles and still in warranty but they don,t cover this DEFECTIVE HIGH PRESSURE ALUMINUM PUMP which fails continually.I have 3 thoughts.A Why is there not a RECALL B Why would the VW garage charge this much when a new engine could have been put in cheaper! C How do they charge this much for a pump 4 lines and 4 injectors. Our car has been fixed and I am afraid to drive it!!! I have always been a VW buyer but I would not recommend this TDI DEFECTIVE FUEL PROBLEM Ken Hughes Ontario Canada
  • tdibuzztdibuzz Member Posts: 2
    This sounds like a SCAM... VW is fixing this problem for free... assuming you're within 60,000 mile warranty. I just had mine fixed... took about 3 weeks. Fight it!
  • tdibuzztdibuzz Member Posts: 2
    The more I think about it.... Get a Lawyer to look at your case... Get your money back and the get them pa\y for the hassles. The lawyer will get their cut too. Thanks for posting! It makes me mad when people get taken advantage of. God bless!