Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• ferrariedferraried Member Posts: 2
    F THE MAN! I just brought a 06 TDI, and would like to have some advice on break in procedure (yes, I can read the manual). I ask this because I thought I saw some blog about run it hard for a short distance, then back off. I thought it said something about doing this to keep from Glazing the cylinders, and if you glaze the cylinders, you will always get bad mileage etc.

Just a funny note, the car I am thinking of getting rid of is a XJR Jag, and my other car is a Ferrari Challenge track car I drive on the street/track. I have often wondered what other folks drive. Often people think these cars are for the first time buyers, or financially prudent. I think the TDI is just fine with me!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The break in procedures in reality lasts app 50-60k. Broken in correctly (and barring any oem defects) the TDI engine is capable of extremely long term service. You might want to look on the TDICLUB web site and do a search.

This ought to start you off. link title

Pay particular attention to stuff written by Drivbiwire.

Rather than detailing the procedures essentially one wants to work the turbo correctly, stay in the sweet spots of the turbo, torque curve of the diesel, and transmission selection: DSG auto or 5/6 speed manual, as well as fulfill longevity goals of the NON TDI stuff. So to address the break in portion you want to be lightly to fairly aggressive in the rev department from 75 % to REDLINE at 5100 rpms. The other thing to look and feel for is the torque band.

There are multiple things you want to do and also to avoid doing, such as: lugging the engine and since diesels drive differently than gassers you want to drive the diesel as a diesel.
  • ferrariedferraried Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information, the site will be most helpful indeed!
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Has anyone had to add oil between oil changes in a 2006 Jetta TDI? I do not have enough miles on my car yet to tell. But should I expect to be adding oil at all besides the scheduled oil change? Wondering if I should keep a few liters of oil on hand.

Thanks
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Member Posts: 28
    I sold my 99 Q45 Tour for the TDI (DSG). It's an amazing car with incredible fuel mileage. I am probably going to chip it down the raod to get more power and even better mileage.
    On a 2003 Jetta TDI, No. and no.

Whether you have to add oil or not it makes sense to keep a min of 1 quart (in the trunk, for travel) up to the next oil change.
  • eyc51keyc51k Member Posts: 41
    I am considering a 06 Jetta TDI with a five speed manual transmission. This one is pretty much loaded with a package two. I know someone out there already has one with some miles on it and I was wondering what real world mileage on the highway I can realistically expect? I didn't read all of these forums and maybe this has been covered and if so, please excuse me and point me in that direction. Thanks...Eric
  • longcoursedsllongcoursedsl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 tdi 5 speed (pkg 1). I have calculated my mpg every fillup. I started out in the 36 mpg range and am now up to 39-41 average after just over 3,000 mi. This is a nice mix of highway, suburban, and city driving.
    Well thank you.

I just picked up an 06 package 2 with 5 speed yesterday and I will soon find out. I do drive a lot of highway so maybe I'll do even better.

Love the Sat radio!!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i bet you 06 jetta TDI folks are going to see 10% better mpg after 10k miles or so ... enjoy!
  • tdidrivertdidriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a nightmare story. First, you should know I've driven only VW deisels for the last 20 years. In 10/03 I bought a 2000 Jetta TDI with 30K miles on it. It ran ok for 6 months, then started severely losing power in any kind of heat and showing the "check engine" light. My experienced mechanic couldn't figure it out. Then in 9/04 the engine block broke apart, inexplicably, from inside the cylinders. Still faithfull, I bought a certified VW restored TDI engine and had a dealer install it. Two weeks ago, just outside the one year warranty, that engine block cracked, at the "ear" that holds one of the three bolts that attach the engine block it to the car. (Incidentally, the other two bolts coming from the block had backed out of their attachments, leaving the engine now sitting loosely in the car.) Now, as the block is cracked, I must buy a third new engine, at $7k cost. Anyone have any ideas (am I just unlucky? Is this common? do I have a suit against VW or the dealer for a design defect or negligence)?
    Thank you.
    If the warranty is up and if there no extended warranty, then it's on you. I am not trying to sound harsh here, but my first clue to get another vehicle would have been your very first experience, broken block. That would have done it for me. At this point and this is just my opinion, I would take a deep breath and walk away. Talk to your attorney if it easies your mind, but I am sure he will reiterate what I am saying here. If the warranty is up, it's up. Just like life, when it's our time, it's our time. Don’t let this bad experience sour you on a fine automobile, heck million dollar jet engines explode killing passengers right after an annual check. “Delta Airlines few years back”. Failures are part of living.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I would have to wonder if something isn't tweaked on that car, putting undo stress on the motor mounts or something. I've never heard of such a thing on a TDI, let alone twice on the same chassis? Something's not right.
    First fill up with 20% city and 80% highway on my brand new 06 TDI shows me 46.5 MPG...YES
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Your description of having engine-mount-bolts loosen up smacks of somone RE-USING bolts. VW uses special one-time-use-only bolts that s-t-r-e-t-c-h when they are first used. These bolts must never be reused for any reason. They will either break or just loosen up.

If it is any concession to you... some folks have had their engine FALL OUT FROM THE CAR shortly after having a Timing-belt replaced. This can be traced directly to the mechanic RE-USING the engine-mount-bolts.
  • doctorrazzdoctorrazz Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2001 VW Bug TDI.......put 70,000 miles on it.......couple of minor problems...but was bulletproof other than one electric failure...poor assembly......I was commuting over a hundred miles per day.....and the money saved on fuel almost made the payment of the vehicle......1500 mile trip to florida for $75.00..80mph......when diesel was cheap.....very cold weather....can be a problem with fuel......need to put additives in tank ......to keep it from frezzing.....had to bring the car indoors two times to unthaw......shopping for a new full sized VW TDI or a Toureg

Razz
  • losman54losman54 Member Posts: 22
    Eric, I got a 2005 1/2 new body style which :) is what you will get if you buy the 06. I'm getting approx 50 MPG. Oil changes are pricy, I got my first oil change at 5,000 miles and it cost me $70. I will be doing my own in the future. Good Luck.
    :confuse: Has anybody out there doing their own oil changes? I hear it's a pain to do. Where is the oil filter?
    Gosh no! 5 min, if you know what you are doing. 10 min, if you are a person of leisure!! 15 min, if you like to play with it! :) At 70 bucks an oil change, ya might want to DIY!? :) On the 2003 TDI we are talking 4.25 qt x 4= $17. for the oil and $6. for the filter= $23.

Of course, you are probably waiting for the explanation. :)
    There is a Texaco quick Lube place in town that I have been taking my vehicles to for ever. They wouldn't touch the VW, claiming that the 16 bolts holding the plastic bottom engine cover is not something they want to mess with it. That would be my first choice. :(

BTW - where is your oil filter located?
    And they would probably be real close in terms of the count. :) The MKIV Jetta oil filter is located almost dead center as you look at the engine with the hood up (mid thigh high). Mine (as is probably yours) is hidden by a plastic sound and vanity cover, held down by three nuts. But it is nothing a 10mm socket and nut driver would not undo in very short order. :)
  • rdensslenrdensslen Member Posts: 3
    how did you add a picture to your message? thanks
    Click on help and seach for "posting image". It's difficult to describe here, because if I type in the command it tries to perform it! Your pic needs to be hosted elsewhere, Edmunds doesn't allow you to upload a pic to the message.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the Img button under the post box will handle the syntax for you. You hit the button once, paste in the URL of the photo, then hit it again.

One caveat to all picture posters - please limit the width of the picture to the space between the left and right sidebars. Otherwise all the message text on the page gets pushed out to the right under the sidebar which means the first few messages on the page can't be read.
  • sputnicksputnick Member Posts: 1
    When you replace the oil filter be sure and use the new orings. I learned the hard way. Forgot the large oring and I pumped about 2 pints out before I saw it on my Mom's driveway. I have a problem. Engine lite is on. Had someone plug in analyzer. It says all 3 glow plugs have problems. I am not sure I buy that. I'm driving 03 Jetta TDI. I just recd a glowplug relay I ordered. I assumed it was the relay. How can I confirm that prior to replacing it?
    Yes, I would agree! I didn't think to mention it for it is SOP. So I am glad you did. On the analyzer hopefully it was the VAG.com product? A product like that is almost indispensable for our TDI's :(:) You might do a search on TDICLUB under glow plugs and or glow plug relays. It is truly not a hard job but getting the history etc will help you better than a straight R/R instruction.
  • sandman52sandman52 Member Posts: 36
    Now that winter in MN has set in, I'm finding it's taking longer than I'd like for the TDI engine in my 2005.5 Jetta to warm up.
    I was wondering if there are any engine heaters available yet for the new Jetta's (I checked the Frostheater web site,http://www.frostheater.com and they say coming Fall '05, but not available yet).
    Also wondering if anyone is using any kind of cover to partially block airflow through the radiator to quicken the warm up time??
    Any other ideas welcome too! :confuse:
    I thought I would share this with the boards. I have the 06 Jetta TDI Package Two and drive a long way to work daily. The other night we were blasted with a major snow storm. The interstate I drive on, all 52 miles of it, was in extremly bad shape as they didn’t even plow it since the snow was coming down in buckets creating a almost total white out, and at night to boot. So with such dire conditions I had the opportunity to see just how good the ESP system actually is. In one word…OUTSTANDING. I simply could not believe how well it worked. I was passing cars and trucks both pickups and big commercial trucks going up icy snow covered grades like the roads were dry, it was surreal. I only realized the system was working when I looked down and saw the little annunciator light saying the ESP system was activated. I noticed that your speed is governed somewhat with the system activated as I was trying to pass a big tractor afraid he would jack knife, but the system would not let me go faster but instead made sure my path was straight sure and steady. I am absolutely convinced I would have never made it home without the ESP system given all the cars and trucks I passed that went right over the hills on my way by them. Like I said, it truly was surreal. I can’t speak highly enough of this system. I was following a Lexus for a time who must have had the same system as he too was burning up the road without difficulty, and here I am in my “cheap” little Jetta :)
    You are actually discussing the results of 3 systems working at once. They are all tied to the ESP light but are 3 distinct systems which all work together.

The ESP light will come on under 3 conditions as follows;

1)TRACTION CONTROL: When traction is low while accellerating and the engine-power is cut to reduce wheel-slippage.

2) ELECTRONIC DIFFERENTIAL LOCK (EDL): During accelleration, the ABS system gently applies the brakes on the wheel that is slipping forcing the differential to send torque to the other drive wheel.

3) ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP): When the yaw-sensor "feels" that the vehicle is going into skid and the ABS system gently applies the brakes to the approprate wheels to help correct.

ESP is the ABSLOLUTE BEST OPTION to get on VW. (The cost is unbeleivbly low for this option too.)
    I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the TDI HEATER Use a heavy-duty timer and at least 12-guage extension cord. (set timer for about 1-3 hours before you expect to be starting the engine.)

Also, it is common to use lenghts of slitted 1/2inch pipe insulation on the grille-slats to block the cold air from the radiator. They can be pulled off and tossed in the trunk if the ambient temps. warm up.

DO NOT cover the air inlet for the intercooler!!
    Comment on this neat heater...and thanks for the link. But I must say, although I agree it seems to warm up a little slower, it's not all that bad on my 06 TDI. The last few nights it was 5 degrees when I left work and within a few short minutes I was comfortable. Maybe they improved this problem on the 06? I don't know but it's not all that bad, but not as fast as a gasser for sure. Also the glow plug light goes out in just a few seconds, almost as fast as a gasser to start. I love this car all around! It made me a true believer the other night in that bad snow storm.
    You are correct. The newer Jetta TDIs have an electric heater built into the blower airstream. This helps to heat up the cabin a bit quicker until the engine heat comes up.
  • sandman52sandman52 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the pipe insulation tip, I'll give that a try. It seems that it's mainly a problem when we get below zero, like yesterday morning when it was -14. The car still started fine, and I still got heat from the seats, and electric heater in the blower that was mentioned in another post, but I was just more concerned about the engine not getting well warmed up before I got to work which is less than 10 miles. Otherwise I love the car, I just didn't want to be harming the engine by not getting it warmed up sufficiently. I see the TDI Heater is now available for the new body style Jetta since I made my original post, so maybe I'll order that now to give the engine a little TLC.
    :)
  • cracocraco Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking about to buy a new jetta tdi, this is the first diesel car in my country, Mexico, and I need opinions about this car, can you help me? I own a vw jetta 2000 right now and I am very pleased with this car, that because I am watching this new model. Thanks a lots for you time.
  • thehegtheheg Member Posts: 1
    Amsoil’s “European Car Formula” 5w-40 oil now carries the VW 505-01 specification. AFL-QT is the stock number for a quart but I find it cheaper to buy the case AFL-01. I get it online at www.lubedealer.com/tntsynthetics
  • vw_drivervw_driver Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 Jetta TDI with automatic transmission. I love everything about the inside (leather package, visibility, comfort, stereo, heated seats) and can even handle the slow heat in the winter. But – I've moved to the city – and my car is very sluggish… the turbo does kick in, but not until the rpm’s are high enough and w/ auto trans, this gives me little to no passing power when driving in traffic. I’ve tried the “tiptronic” but it has such a lag when shifting between gears that it’s really better to let the car do it. At this point, I’m thinking of trading it in for a Jetta 1.8T or Mazda3s (both manual trans) – but I really hate to give up my car. I’m already considering the TDI heater - as an uneducated engine girl, is there anything I can do to my car/engine to give it some kick? Or should I just trade it in? Thanks!
    There are quite a few performance mods that may work for you. A performance chip and/or replacing the injectors can add substantial power. You have to be careful what chip and what injectors you add because some combinations will cause too much smoke. I've been running substantial performance mods on my '00 for over 70k miles with no problems. I had a V6 Camry before the TDI and I'm very satisfied with perfomance. The easiest is a chip. I haven't paid much attention to what's out there for the '04 models, but if you email me (in my profile) I'll send you some links that might help. I can't post the links due to Edmunds policy since this other site also includes a forum.

It will likely cost you substantial money to trade into another vehicle. I don't think a TDI can run with a 1.8T without some HUGE mods, but with a few performance items it will be much more pleasant to drive and you won't lose the mpg. I'm still averaging 54mpg (manaul tranny) with mine, and I'm approaching 150k miles. A manual tranny TDI is far more pleasant right from the start, but you've got the auto so IMHO you're best to try and work with that.
  • tootighttootight Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Jetta TDi and the dealership is charging me $8 a quart for oil. I know that any good turbo diesel oil will do the job, but I know that to keep the warranty in force I must use an oil that has met VW standard. Where can I get an oil that meets those standards without being raped by the dealer?
    TOOtight
    You are incorrect when you say "any good turbo diesel oil will do the job" . That statement is just plain wrong.

Your 2005 TDI has the Pumpe Duse engine which REQUIRES a special engine oil lest the camshaft may self-destruct.

To answer your question about other sources of VW505.01 oil, you may need to search the internet. (MOTUL oil is one alternative)

You may not find any cheeper prices for VW505.01 oil. The laws of "supply-n-demand" allow them to charge these prices.

Did you actually purchase a vehicle without researching what it would take to maintin it? Personally, I passed-over several vehicles after looking at the long-term ownership costs. (EXAMPLE... the 1.8T engine REQUIRES hi-octane fuel. That was a reason for me to look elsewhere.)
    Yes add to that Pentosynth, ELF, to the Motul recommendation. Do a search and they will probably lead to places that are close to you or you can even price shop on the internet.
  • tootighttootight Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the explanation of why the special oil is required.
    I researched the drivetrain reliability, long life, and fuel mileage, but maintainance cost seem to be a VW secret.
    Do you do your own service work? I had an used early 80s VW Dasher diesel and did all the service myself and got very good service from it. I guess that's where I got hooked on diesels.

Thanks foer the Info
    TOOtight
    Yes, I usually do most of my own service work. I even have a VAGCOM so I can work with the onboard computer systems.

In reality, the cost of the oil is not a big issue. If one considers the 10,000 mile oilchange intervals, the cost impact is reduced.

If you are considering doing your own oil-changes, I STRONGLY recommend you change the oil from under the hood instead of removing the 14 faseners and replacing the oil-plug every time. (I assume you already know that the oil-plug must be REPLACED each time it is removed.)

I do have to admit that I have the PRE pumpe-duse TDI which has less restrictive specifications on the engine oil.
  • smdtdismdtdi Member Posts: 31
    My MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) came on this morning when I was backing out of the garage. This is the first time that its happened. It was fairly warm out(around 50) so I don't think it had anything to do with the glowplugs. When I tried to put the car into reverse gear (5 speed) , I missed it and ground the gears for second. This happened right before the light came on. Is this a coincidence?

Any ideas?

The car only has about 17K on it, but I do my own maintenance, so I know the dealer would try and screw me out of any warranty coverage if I brought it for that.
    What happened to the edit feature?

OK

I took it to Autozone for a free engine diagnosis.

Glowplug heater cylinder #2.

How critical is it to have this repaired immeadiately?

It is winter after all, but unless I encounter subzero temps, can I get by without this for awhile?

I was planning a trip to New England this weekend, where temps may dip into the 30s at night.

What is involved in repairing this? In the event that the dealer tries to get out of honoring the warranty, what is the approximate repair cost?
    The "edit" feature works like it always has... you are allowed about 20 minutes to "edit" each append before the "edit" option goes away.

=========

If the problem is truly a glowplug... then it is simple to uncrew the old one and screw in a new one. (they are very much like sparkplugs in that respect)

HOWEVER! not all of the glowplugs are "monitored" thus without actually pulling off the wires and measuring each of them with an OHMmeter, you cannot really tell what the actual problem is.

It is a very simple task. The glowplugs are on the front of the cylinder head and the wires just pull right off (again -- just like sparkplug wires) Use OHMmeter to measure from engine block to the tip of each glowplug. Any that measure infinate (open) are bad.
    Is there a difference between the glowplug and the "glowplug heater"?

A guy I work with told that he didn't have 3 days to have his TDI repaired??

Why would it take 3 days for this?
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    From mid summer 05 to the end of 05 most VW dealers were void of TDI models of any kind. Just for kicks I checked Robert Larson VW in Tacoma, WA and they had as of 1/13/06 27 Jetta pkg 1 TDI’s and 19 Beetle pkg 1 TDI’s.
    A good sign for buyers
    I cannot speak for the guy you work with. Perhaps his GLOWPLUG HARNESS was the part they were replacing. The GLOWPLUG HARNESS is known to have "issues" with the connectors getting corroded. It takes about an hour to replace.

The TDI engine has one glowplug for each cylinder. Those are the heaters that come on when the indicator is lit on the dashboard.

The TDI engine ALSO has some heaters similar to the glowplugs that screw into the engine and are immersed into the antifreeze. These come on AFTER the engine is running to help speed up engine-warmup. The TDIs with manual xmission have 3 such heaters... the automatic Xmission models do not.

All of the heaters I have mentiond above simple SCREW INTO the engine and are very easy to replace.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just to clarify for you and smdtdi, the Edit link along with the Delete link are both available for 30 minutes, not 20, after the time of the post. After that 30 minutes, you can't do anything to change or remove your post.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Quaker state has a Q Diesel Plus oil that is 505.01 rated. I was told a local VW dealer in Mesa AZ is using it.

I buy this Q oil for under $6.00 a quart from a supplier in Phx AZ