Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• lmcclmcc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. It does move easily when in Neutral. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  • prestonlewisprestonlewis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Jetta TDI that I recently purchased. The car is wonderful, drives great, etc. It has 110,000 miles on it. The only problem I have is a blinking yellow light on the instrument cluster. It's on the right side towards the middle of the cluster and looks like 2 letter O written in cursive and connected like in cursive. When I first crank the Jetta, they don't flash but they quickly do and they flash all the time. The Jetta didn't come with a manual for me to look up the different symbols on the instrument cluster so I'm hoping someone knows what this symbols means. Thanks.
  • billinncbillinnc Member Posts: 10
    Based on your description, it sounds like the glow plug warning light. If it is flashing, you should probably have VW take a look at it.
  • ryonkryonk Member Posts: 3
    Over the weekend my 2002 Jetta TDI made a clunk noise and died. It would not go anywhere. I took it to the dealer and they said the Turbo blew up. My car has 62,000 miles only and the dealership is helping me to get VW to pay for the problem. Not sure if they are going to but my warranty ran out at 50k. The dealership said it should not have happened and that if there is stuff wrong with the engine then it will be 6-8k for new engine. Turbo alone is 2300 including labor.
  • porkpork Member Posts: 2
    I have 152000 miles on my I have changed my timing belt 1 time at 80000 all highway miles do you know what vw says my dealer calls the rep and he says iwill get back nevers does. 2002 tdi
  • lmcclmcc Member Posts: 3
    Yikes. I hope they help you with that expense. Seems pretty unusual, although there are lemons everywhere.
    I was thinking the worst for my problem, but I was pleasantly surprised. The "clunk" was the hose attaching the Turbo falling off, and the loss of power was the huge vacuum leak associated with that. The best they can figure is that when the timing belt was changed a couple of months ago the spring clamp didn't seat properly, and finally just let go. The dealer even took care of a recall while it was in the shop, so all in all, it was a great day.
    Did you buy an extended warranty to get your 100,000 mile warranty on the Turbo? I just blew mine up at 62,000 and I am quite sure my warranty expired at 50,000.
    I drove the Passat and Jetta before I purchased. The quality seems to be the same. The 2006 Jetta is larger than the 2005 and is as large as a 2005 Passat. The diesel engine is somewhat noisier than the gas engine but it is relatively quiet for a diesel. The increased noise is only noticeable when the engine is cold or during hard acceleration. No Jetta wagons are being made in 2006. My guess is that perhaps VW did not want the Jetta wagon to take away from the sales of the 2007 Passat wagon which was redesigned and released this year(no diesels available in Passat this year). The Jetta TDI cruises like a dream at 75-80 MPH and is very quiet at cruising speeds. Don't wait too long if you want a Jetta TDI. I hear they won't be made in 2007 but will come back in 2008 with more emission controls and be set up to run on low sulfur fuel only. The 2006 TDIs are in demand and selling at list at most dealers but I did find a few smaller dealers that will still negotiate. Good Luck.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I'm looking at the Jetta vs Civic for when the lease on my Honda CRV is up next summer.

I hear a lot of good stuff about the Jetta TDI in this forum, so I'm leaning toward that. I'd kind of like to try a diesel auto anyway, since I've never had one. Here in Alabama, RUL just shot up to be more than diesel (I guess the Summer market dynamics of each product cause that).

Keep up the good posts; there's a lot of good info here.

thx, esteeze
  • bfredbfred Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 golf tdi--for the past few weeks, occasionally in the morning when I go to start it--the dash lights flash and I hear a click and no start--nothing has been left on or anything. It takes a jump after the cables have been on for 10 minutes. Then it works like a charm for a few days. then it happens again. The last time, there were no lights on the dash--eventhe clock had stopped--and it took longer, but was able to be jump started. I have taken it to two dealerships who have run tests on the battery, starter, generator, etc and say all it well--battery holds charge(brand new battery two weeks ago adn sstill same problem), there is no sign of drainage from battery ,etc. Has anyone else had this problem with their diesel, and if so, any suggestions?
    thanks. :confuse:
    After talking with VW they are not going to help me out at all on this repair. They told me and I quote "if it was 1 mile past the warranty we would not cover the damage". They were not concerned one bit whether or not I was going to purchase another VW or not. I have had this car since it was brand new and I have kept up on all of the maintenance at VW locations in Omaha at Stan Olsen and in the Springs at Heuberger and it does not matter. I have contacted a lawyer to try and go a different route on this matter. Needless to say I will not ever buy another VW. This is my spouses car and she now wants an Infinity because the customer service there blows away anything from VW.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    she now wants an Infinity because the customer service there blows away anything from VW.

Don't count on it after the warranty is up. Lexus is great also, until the warranty is up, then they stick it to you.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    ryonk, you surely don't expect vw to pay for the repair when the car is 12000 miles beyond warranty and you don't have extended warranty? hey, i'd be seriously annoyed at a $2300 failure like that but would not ask VW to pay. you take your chances either way in buying/not-buying an extended warranty. a good extended warranty costs $2k! looks like your #1 criteria for next car ought to be reliability. the euro cars do not do so well by that metric.
    in the meantime maybe you could find an independent mechanic to do the job for less $. there are certified/independent tdi mechanics lists available...
    I had to find an independant Lexus mechanic or get rid of a good car. The Lexus shop I found charges about 1/3rd what the dealer charges. He buys genuine Lexus parts from the dealer. I am thinking any new car you are going to keep for a long time should be covered by an extended warranty. You can look at threads on every brand and read sad tales of huge repair bills, just after the warranty expires. It is not a VW thing. I had a great VW dealer here in San Diego, Drew VW & Ford.
  • prestonlewisprestonlewis Member Posts: 2
    So last week I purchased a '99 Jetta TDI. It took a week of driving to see the mileage results (all city driving) and it ended up being I drove just under 500 miles and it took just over 12 gallons of #2 Diesel to fill it up, so roughly 40-41 mpg. 110,000 miles, great leather upholstery, and the paint looks new. Oh, what a feeling! is being used by the wrong car company.
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with that diesel.
  • jimmac1jimmac1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking into buying a 2002,03 Jetta TDI, but I am wondering about the mechanical reliability of the vehicle. I hear the exhaust manifold clogs frequently due to the poor quality of diesel in the US v.s. what is sold in US. if this is just a maintainence issue than I can handle that, but if there are design problems I am curious as well.

Are there any additional standard things to look for when purchasing one of these cars and is there a year to stay awayfrom.

thanks.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    jimmac it's the intakes which can get clogged due to EGR & the dirty fuel. so there is a design aspect (the EGR). i think some people disconnect it. (exhaust gas recirculation).
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The new ULSD (Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel) is starting to be rolled out in the USA... so your concerns about the fuel may be unfounded.

In fact, my last fillup was ULSD.
    Here is the "official" rollout plan for ULSD

http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html
  • dragnbarondragnbaron Member Posts: 11
    Had a quick question...
    I just recently bought a 2006 TDI jetta. Ran beautifully, and loved it. at about 500 miles the clutch froze in gear and it took the might of hercules (that's me) to get it out of 5th, on rt 287 in New Jersey (that was fun...). Took it to the dealership and they replaced the clutch, saying the compression plate was not put on properly. Now, it has about 2700 miles on it, and in 3rd gear i get this odd whinning sound... It sounds like a jet engine powering up. As soon as i let off the pedal it stops. It only makes this sound in 3rd... since i haven't been using third much because of that sound every time i do use it it sounds even worse. What could the problem be, will it go away, and sould i be worried?
    I dont want to alarm you... but that whine you hear is indicative of transmission gears not meshing properly.

It may be as simple as needing an adjustment to the shift linkages (cables) or somthing within the xmission itself.

There is the possibility that this whining will not ever be of any real concequence.... or may be an indicator of worse problems later.

In any case, you should be informing your dealership of this whining often and make CERTAIN that your complaints are logged every time you mention it. It would also help if their mechanic hears the sound and logs his findings too. This may give you some recourse if somthing fails later.

It may not console you much... but VW manual xmissions are more often known to be VERY bulletproof and not ever have issues even after 200,000 miles of use.
    Hey, thanks for the info. Part of the reason i did get a vw manual was for the longevity and safty of the vehicle itself. I actually tried something yesterday and seemed to work well, but wanted to run it by you real quick, if you didn't mind. Shifting normally (pushing the shift knob all the way as far as it will go) without being forceful at all it makes the sound... i just tried to let it 'slip' into the gear (similar to a short shift) just pushing it and letting gravity do the rest of the work, and the sound stopped (still a slight bit, but that happens in every gear and happenened in all of the new 06's i drove, even automatic). Now, i didn't think much of the sound until it got fairly bad the other day.... could it have something to do with the heat? Keep in mind, during the hot days i don't tend to prime the engine for very long, and vw suggested to not prime it at all because of the 'new technology.'
    Secondly, would it be a good idea to try another dealership as well? Like i said before, this is the second clutch already and it the last dealership messed something up i wouldn't be too keen on seeing them again. just a thought and was wondering what others thought and wanted to thank everyone for even the smallest amount of info.
    Your description sounds even more as if the cable-shift linkage adjustments should be checked.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who recently purchased a diesel vehicle and would like to talk about their car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your car.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Yeah, it seems like i need a new transmission. The gears aren't meshing correctly in gears 2-4. I'm taking it back to the dealership i boughjt it from and the one which installed the new clutch, hopefully nothing else will go wrong or i'll have to declare it a lemon, but it still wouldn't stop me from getting another tdi.
  • shopgirl5shopgirl5 Member Posts: 7
    is this the only 2006 vw jetta trim that uses diesel? isn't diesel a very bad pollutant in the environment?
    what do you mean by 'jetta trim'? On the contrary, diesel is actually less of a pollutant than regular automobiles. the downside to that low pollutant is slow speed, but much better gas mileage. One of the reasons that the emissions are darker is that in most diesels (and with the new law, in America, all the new diesels) pass the exhaust through the engine before releasing it into the air, that way it reduces some traces of sulfur as well as other pollutants. For any diesels prior to 2007 there are new emissions tests. In New Jersey, at least anything 2006 or lower does not have to have their emissions checked because it is significantly lower than normal gasoline engines.
    The U.S. just upped it's restrictions on diesel emissions because of the trucking industry. It's causing alot of pollution because there have been no emissions checking in most states, until now. Now, more than likely, pollution from trucks will go down because of there new laws, and new technology.
    Mercedes has a new exhaust system out, for their diesel car, that they fully explain in detail and show how it lowers pollutants. Basically, what i just said, it runs the exhaust back through the engine several times before it lets it exit the vehile, pretty neat.
    Where did you get your info about TDI engine being a "very bad pollutant in the environment" ?

A TDI engine is such a LOW polluter that you can sit in a running TDI in a closed garage and will NOT suffer from CarbonMonoxide poisoning.

Also, since Diesel engines use up to 30% less fuel... they also emit 30% less exhaust compared to gasser.
    the EPA; vw doesn't carry the TDI in CA b/c of the emission issue
  • tech_headtech_head Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the TDI diesel is both better and worse that equivalent gas engines. It's better in terms of greenhouse gasses and several volatile toxics, and it's worse on particulates and NOx. Where I drive , NOx and particulates are less of a problem, so the decrease in climate destabilizing gasses is worth it to me. (And the particulate issue will get even closer when biodiesel and GTL fuel combi's become practical.)

The EPA (and Calif Air Res. Board) has to make rules that make some sort of sense over the entire areas they cover. And neither is currently worrying much about climate change.

So diesels are worse locally (although not necessarily in ways that matter where you are) and better globally (there's a soot and short term warming issue that complicates this picture, but again I'm more worried about long-term (multi-year) warming and the soot issue with TDI's is pretty well addressed and will get better as fuel improves.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Injection timing is critical. I agree that the auto transmission lowers the mileage considerably. I have an'83 Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel with 4 speed auto transmission and I cannot get more than 27-28 MPG no matter what. But the car is much larger and heavier than a Jetta.
    cool, i want one...oh wait, i live in CA :( what do you recommend for an environ-friendly, non-hybrid car?
    Find a used VW TDI with 7500 miles or more and it is legal in CA. Try Oregon dealers.
    I would like to get some reports of mileage rates on Jetta TDI models. I have a new 06 model with auto transmission and am getting 36 mpg, mostly city driving with air conditioning on. The car only as 1050 miles on it. I assume I can expect better mileage after it gets a few more miles on it. I hope so! I have heard that the best mileage comes after 5000 miles. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Most folks I know believe 40mpg to be a respectable average for the automatic. 36mpg in heavy city with A/C certainly shouldn't be far off the norm. It likely will get better as the miles pile on, but you're not doing too bad. I believe the newer DSG six-speed auto is supposed to do much better, but I'm assuming you have the regular automatic?IMHO, a hybrid is better for the folks that actually drive 100% in the city. That's where they really have an advantage (mainly due to idling losses). Most folks buying TDI's are road warriors and the open road is why the hybrids seem to be less efficient than the diesels. I usually run 75-85mph with my TDI, and would still average in the 45-50mph range with performance mods. On the rare trip with lots of city, my average usually dropped to the low 40's. That's a manual tranny.
    Thanks! I have the new DSG six speed auto. It is really a smooth transmission. I hope to get better mileage as time goes on. I purchased the TDI for alot of open road driving but have not had any trips planned so far.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I've never concidered a vw TDI until recently. Does it sound clunky like an old 1980's disel? Does it really take off due to the high torque numbers? I think that after say 0-30 it would get slower due to the 100hp. Are these somewhat true or am i blowin smoke?
    Sorry if i'm reposting this. I found this article on ULSD. For those Acronymicly :P challenged like me, it stands for

Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel

And basicly all it is is diesel with only 5% sulfer instead of the 95% we already have. This diesel should be allowed in allomost all states. New York is the newest state to have diesel fuel. :)
    I've never concidered a vw TDI until recently. Does it sound clunky like an old 1980's disel? Does it really take off due to the high torque numbers? I think that after say 0-30 it would get slower due to the 100hp. Are these somewhat true or am i blowin smoke?

You know, i was a little hesitent to buy a diesel because of those concerns too, but i live in New Jersey and i do alot of city driving, but also alot of highway so i wanted something more economic than a hybrid. I almost bought an old buick diesel with 100k miles on it but someone told me to try a new jetta.
    So, i went on a test drive and was wicked surprised. I also own a 2001 ford focus.... with that i get roughly 21 miles to gallon because i live in such a dense area. Getting onto the highway with my focus is eventful to say the least, but when i tried the 06 diesel jetta not only did it pick up as quickly as my focus, for the size and weight it moved faster than alot of my older cars. Granted, it's not a race car and trying to go from 60-80 mph quickly is difficult, especially in NJ and especially with a manual, but it's just as quick as my focus.
    There is a bit more noise than i am used to, but going from a loud mouthed lightweight car into something that weighed three times as much with less horsepower, speeding up gives me hardly any noise at all. i have been having some trouble with mine recently which has given me alot more noise, but that is something uncommon and should not be anticipated if looking into a new deisel.
    Even the Mercedes deisel is just as quick with much less sound than there used to be. One problem with the older diesels is that makes them a little louder is the engines are gasoline engines changed over to allow compression rather than combustion. It gave better fuel economy but had a REALLY loud sound.
    The one downside that i can see for someone in my position (inner city with occasional and frequent highway driving out of state) is the prep time in the winter. In older diesels you need to let the engine warm up before you drive it, the new jettas you don't HAVE to prime it, but i would recoment priming it for at least two minutes before starting it, int he winter, otherwise you get a unique 'clunk' sound.
    The thing i like the best is when i pull into a truck stop and have the truckers get out of their trucks to ask me about my car. That and the shocked looks on people's faces as i ask for a fill up of diesel. As sad as it is i still have to be VERY careful because many of the new gas stations around my area, the attendents don't speak english and try to fill it was regular instead of diesel, evn though it says in big bold letters DIESEL ONLY on the gas cap.
    In my diesel though, the best time for speeding up is between 2000 to 4000 rpm, which is optimal for the highway. Even with my city driving and the contrant stopping and going i still average a minimum of 35 mpg, and on trips to New Hampshire or Massachusetts i get a good 45-50 mpg at an average of 90 mph.... i mean 70 mph.... ;)
    The nice thing i like about these new jettas (as a side note) is the customability with the lack of aftermarked pieces. The lights at the feet of the driver and passanger can be changed for different colors, the chrome on the front can be changed to nearly any color with some metal tint, and the bottom of the jetta is ridged so rocks that pop up don't show scratches easily.
    I was surprised by the amount of things that came stock on the TDI. I have the basic of basic TDI's and i still have leatherette seats, traction control, in dash 6 cd, and 6 stock airbags. The next models add leather seats, sunroofs, satellite radio, two more airbags, and auto lights.
    All in all, i like my jetta, but i am having tons of problems with my clutch and transmission, and i'm not the only one who has had this problem... but i think that those problems will resolve in the next year if there are more cars with those problems. When the 08 models come out i'm sure all problems will be solved.
    If you're thinking about a diesel jetta i'd recomend test driving an automatic in sport mode, because there is barely any, if any, resistance in the new jetta manuals.
    Probably more info than you asked for, but thats what i think of them.
    Alot of the diesels in the late 70s and into the 1980s were converted gasoline engines. The demand was fueled (pun) by the oil embargo of 1974. The VW TDI is a different animal. They don't seem to slow down or loose power because of the superb mating of transmissions (ie gear ratios) and engines. Don't take my word for it. Go drive a TDI. You will be very surprised what 100ho can do. That's because the torque is more of an issue than HP! That's what I did and a month later I decided to buy one.
    Thanks for the edmunds Long Term Test on the jetta TDI :). I guess i can wait until ULSD to come out to try a TDI jetta. I'm guessing (hoping) dealers will have many more in stock by then. Trust me, i like vw's automatic better than their manuals... Not to mention i don't know how to drive a manual... yet :D. I still cant get over the fear of accidently putting regular gas into the tank instead of diesel... :sick:
    No need to wait for ULSD... it is becoming widely available as I write this.
    And unfortunatly the jetta TDI isn't for 2007. But the good news is that "i just saved a lot of money on my car insurance by selling my lambo, porsche and nsx" j/k (about the exotics)

seriously, Vw heard me and is dropping the 1.9liter diesel for a bigger (and yes newer) 2.0 version. I found that here on edmunds.com :)
    I also heard the TDI will not be produced in 2007 but will return in 2008 (with more emissions control). A larger engine would be nice but it probably will reduce the mileage rate. I doubt that VW will change the gearing in the DSG auto transmission since it is fairly new. I also heard the Pasaat will retun in 2008 with a diesel engine but larger, maybe around 3.0L.
    Thats unlikely. It could use the jettas diesel. It did in 2005 have the 1.9 TDI
  • gem69gem69 Member Posts: 1
    Volkswagen Cuts Price on '07 Jetta, Revises Diesel for Upcoming New Beetle from, inside line.
    Date posted: 06-28-2006

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — The 2007 Volkswagen Jetta, which goes on sale in the fall, will start at $17,120, including a $630 destination charge. The 2006 Jetta started at $18,530, including destination.

"We lowered the price to be more competitive in the segment," VW spokesman Tom Wegehaupt told Inside Line. For 2007, the Jetta also gets an optional iPod adapter, simplified cruise control, an optional premium sound system and a standard tire-pressure monitoring system.

The German automaker dropped the diesel Jetta and the 1.9 TDI diesel New Beetle for 2007. Wegehaupt said all-new common-rail diesel technology will be forthcoming on the New Beetle for calendar-year 2008. He said the new 2.0-liter diesel engine is estimated to deliver 140 horsepower and more than 200 pound-feet of torque while meeting tougher U.S. regulations. Volkswagen said a special model of the New Beetle is also planned for 2007. It will be a white-on-white model that will go on sale in spring 2007. It will feature a white interior and exterior and a white trunk lid, although the top will be black. No pricing has been set yet.

What this means to you: The Jetta is now priced closer to its natural competitors, making it an easier pill to swallow for those looking for a solid German sedan for less than $20K.
  • pwkaufpwkauf Member Posts: 1
    I live in Chicago (60630). Does anyone know of a shop that will work on and understand TDIs? I have no confidence in the dealership in the area.
  • ssandrolinissandrolini Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if the Fuel filter has to be flooded with fuel or will it self prime?

Sandro

04 jetta TDI Auto 20,000 miles
    It is a very good idea to prime fuel-filter after changing it.

This is a simple matter of turning on the key (NOT starting engine) and allowing the fuel-pump in the tank to pump fuel into the filter. (you should be doing this to wait for the glowplug light to go out anyway)

Just turn the key to "on" and you should hear the fuel pump 'hum' for a few seconds....then turn to "off" -- do this about 7-10 times before attempting to start the engine.