Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• mcdubhmcdubh Member Posts: 4
    I have 5000m on my car, so far no problems,........ Hope It will stay that way, as for fuel millage 35 highway, around 27, 28 city
    In Germany at 90mph I got 35m/gal...
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    Have 70,000 miles plus and mileage consistent with both city and highway 34 MPG. No trouble with this car at all. Front brakes pads @60K. Each mark on fuel gauge exactly 150miles, can appreciate how perfect the German design is. 600 miles per tank.
  • txecditxecdi Member Posts: 3
    Yes, all of them were CDI's. I had recall notices for the brakes and the tele aid. The brakes would fail causing more the need for more pedal pressure. The tele aid notice said that the system would stop working. Both have been repaired.
    Sometimes the mileage is higher than the 23/33 you mention and others it is low, it does vary. I run injector cleaner through about every 2K miles, seems to help.
  • sfeldmansfeldman Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my E class CDI 2005 Benz at Stuttgart factory in October 2004. I have 4000 miles on it and it is the best car I ever had. Nothing compares to it or even comes close.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hello sfeldman. if it is convenient for you, please post every few months to let us know how it is going with your E320 CDI? i'd love to try a Benz CDI but previously owned a 2000 E320 AWD 4matic wagon - it was the least reliable car i have ever owned - out of about 15 new cars - including 4 or 5 *chevy camaros*, a model not known for reliability! the features of the E320 were astounding however - and i do miss them. i didn't really like the handling but the ride sure was smoooooooth. :) best wishes!
  • cgfloridacgflorida Member Posts: 2
    In Europe you can get the 320 CDI with particle filter. Does anyone know if and when such filters will be available here. Also, any news about the E 320 wagon with diesel ?
  • newmbownernewmbowner Member Posts: 1
    My husband picked up this car in Stuttgart to drive over in Germany for several months. Since delivery he's noted several issues with this car. This is the list he sent me.
    1. The rear window defroster is malfunctioning
    2. The memory for adjusting the seat(s) is not working
    3. The steering-wheel positioning does not allow an upward movement
    4. The break peddle rattles when the car is started
    5. The windshield wipers go crazy at times
    6. The navigation system does not work correctly
    7. When I turn the heater on, the A/C light comes on
    8. The entire inside windows covered in a layer of ice.
    I wondered if anyone experienced these same problems or has any suggestions. Talking to the German dealer has been frustrating and nothing seems to get fixed. At this rate, we are even hesitant to have it shipped over here to the states. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum. I was considering the E320 CDI myself. It sounds like your husband has a lemon. I would not ship it here until all was working correctly. He should be able to get someone over there that is capable of handling the issues. It may be one computer module causing all the electrical problems. How does MB handle warranty on cars bought in Germany? If it was bought through a dealer in the states you may get them to address the problems. I would not want to take the chance. Good Luck,
  • sfeldmansfeldman Member Posts: 4
    ADAC Breakdown Statistics for 2004

Mercedes-Benz is one of the winners in this year’s compilation of breakdown statistics by the German motorists’ association ADAC. The brand’s passenger cars received top marks in three automotive categories.
    The Mercedes-Benz A-Class was the winner in the “Lower Mid-Range” category, making it the most reliable compact car on Germany’s roads, according to the breakdown statistics compiled by ADAC. The average breakdown rate for the 2004 models of the A-Class was only 2.3 per thousand.

Equally impressive was the performance of the M-Class, which won top honours in the “Off-Roader” category. The average breakdown rate for the 2004 models of the M-Class was only 2.5 per thousand.

The experts at ADAC were especially pleased by the models of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and the S-Class, whose extremely low breakdown rates won them top spots in the “Upper Mid-Range/Luxury Class” category.
  • sglausersglauser Member Posts: 4
    Of course, NOW the price of oil starts going down! Doesn't matter, the torque on this car makes me absolutely giddy. I traded up from a Lincoln LSE and, while I miss some of its' handling characteristics, the CDI is close enough in that area except when I really wanna throw my car into a curve. The Benz makes up for it in the overall powertrain refinement (I do NOT miss the LSE tranny.. yecch.)

A couple of nits: Having come close to a "panic" stop twice now - the rear brakes actually sound and feel like they are locking up. I've not stood on the pedal long enough to find out if that's a problem. What are the panic braking characteristics that you've noticed?

Also, can't DCX give me a rearview mirror compass? Navigating the Atlanta cow trails called "roads" I used to rely on a compass to get me out of the tree canopy. I suppose I shoulda popped for the nav system...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Click Here

This is good news for the current E320 CDI's replacement which will have the same 320 designation, but the car (a 2007 model) will have an all new 224hp 3.0L V6 that MB expects to be able to comply with Cali (and others) emissions once low-sulfur diesel is available next year.

M
  • sglausersglauser Member Posts: 4
    Smaller, more powerful, cleaner. That should help get this forum rockin'! But, I have to confess: I'll take a straight six over a "vee" any day.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Merc1,

I could not access the website you had provided!

Here is another site with the record breaking news. Quite an endorsement for the MB320CDI.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050503/nytu158.html?.v=8
    Try this one. Those are some real statistics.....

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050502.003
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Great details.
    This would be a great engine for the new MB M class.
    Sorry about the previous link. I tried it and it worked? Oh well you have the info now.

You can bet that engine will be placed in the E, ML, R and maybe the next generation C-Class starting as soon as this fall or for the 2007 model year. All MB, BMW and Audi are waiting for is that clean diesel fuel to be in good supply in the U.S. I predict that all three will do big diesel business, getting the word out is key. Diesels need to be cast in a different light so people don't hold onto those negative images from the last go round.

M
  • cgfloridacgflorida Member Posts: 2
    As the diesel particulate filter has been standard in Germany for over a year why do we have to wait until 2007 to get it here in the US. I assume it will work fine with the current US diesel oil quality ?
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    It probably is the amount of sulphur in our diesel fuel.
    It is the diesel here that destroys the particulate filter in a short period of time. If you have it in CA there are plenty of stations now that sell ULSD (less than 15PPM). I don't know if you can order it with the filter or not. Another year and there should be a lot of ULSD available across the country. Then MB & VW will sell their diesels witjh the PM filter.
  • rwalker07rwalker07 Member Posts: 16
    First let me say that I have nearly 19,000 miles on my CDI and I absolutely love it.

Powerful, great mileage and luxury one could hardly ask for anymore.

However, twice in the last week, the car has felt like it has completley lost its turbo or low end torque.

It is similiar to starting out in third gear perhaps. Once I turn off the engine and turn it back on it is back to normal. This happened Sunday and again on Wednesday. The strange thing is the car can still accelerate, albeit very slowly.

I took it into the dealer and they cannot find the problem. Basically, I have to wait until it happens again (hopefully won't) and then they can see for themselves.

Has anyone had or know of anyone that has had this kindof experience. I read where a 98 had some power loss.

Thanks
    We went to the M-Class Road Rally this morning. It was fun driving the vehicles on a closed course that was set up in the stadium parking lot. Plus you get a free MB hat.

I followed a fellow into the parking lot in a new E320 CDI. I struck up a conversation with him and found that he did the European delivery. It saved the cost of the trip and then some. He absolutely loves the car. He told us the performance is better than any gas vehicle in it's class. He gets consistent 36 MPG on the highway and 26 in the city. He has 7000 miles on it, as he has homes in San Diego and TX. He has had no trouble with the car.
    World record holder and fuel miser
    Continuing from their recent world records in Laredo, Texas, three E320 CDI drove 1039 miles without refueling to Tallahassee in Florida, with an average fuel consumption of 4.75 liters per 100 kilometers, or 49.9 MPG in US units. The unmodified world record cars were used for this test, under the supervision of the USAC (United States Auto Club).
    5/20/2005
    I see where House of Imports in Buena Park has about 4 with just over 7500 miles on them. There is your chance to own a super fine diesel automobile in California legally. Mighty tempting!
    That is indeed very impressive. At the very least I think we'll see this new diesel V6 in the E, M and R-Class models for the 2007 model year. The new diesel V8 will likely show up in the next S-Class and also possibly the M or R. The possibilites are endless if they clear the emissions hurdle in all states running the new low-sulfur diesel.

M
    I think they will be able to pass all the emission tests. According to the Mercedes rep I talked to the only holdup in the US is low sulfur diesel. The EPA and CARB have such a long history of negative thinking it will be a hurdle. That and they do not have adequate test standards for diesel engines, like they have for gas vehicles. They are still using mileage tests developed in the 1970s that are far from realistic. The rep also told me they sold out the first shipment much faster than they expected and are headed toward record sales on the E320 CDI. The one owner I talked to is crazy about the car. He bought it in TX and drives between his homes in San Diego and TX. Says it is the best car he has ever owned and gets 36 MPG on the highway.
  • mateomateo Member Posts: 2
    anyone considered using or have used biodiesel of any blend (or straight vege oil) as fuel for the cdi?
    None other than Willie Nelson. He runs B100 in Hawaii where you don't have to worry about cold weather and gelling.

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/users/artists/willie.shtm
  • jschambergjschamberg Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when the E320 CDI 2006 model is due to be released. I want to trade my 97 E420, but also want to be able to integrate my I-pod into the sound system.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    We are looking at a 2005 E320 CDI. After reading posts in here, am I correct in noticiing that the 2006 will have a V6 diesel instead of the inline 6 in the 2005? Also, will iPod integration for 2006 be available? To what extent is the 'integration'? Will I be able to control my iPod using the indash and steering wheel-mounted controls?

Test drives in this car have been VERY fun. I'll need to look at the prices paid forum but if anybody can provide insight as to what kinds of deals you got with equipment listed, that would be great too!

-Paul
    will have a V6 diesel instead of the inline 6 in the 2005?

Good question. What I can tell you is the best price is usually taking european delivery. That is 7% off the top. The dealer here likes it because it is not from his inventory. I think the CDI sold out pretty fast in most markets. Will the dealer where you test drove your car give you a deal?
    The first 'offer' they gave us was sticker and a lowball on a trade in. Typical. But we're not afraid to walk from a deal, and they know it. We'll make another offer of X over invoice (once I've done an invoice pricing of the car with the options we want). If they say no, we'll see if they make any counter offer and just walk.

I've got my list of wants on the car, my wife has her list of wants. For the most part, they match. :) So I have to figure which options we ultimately want (too bad no XM - have it on 2 cars already), figure their invoice value, then decide on a price over invoice we are willing to pay.

Any info on whether the iPod interface will work like I hope it does or the V vs I6 engine?

-Paul
    The Germans seem to be behind in some features like XM. I know a lot of people ask about iPod. Not sure who offers it. I know a fellow that has a home in TX and here in San Diego. He drives back and forth all the time and gets consistent 37 MPG. I don't think he drives like a granny either. He says it is the best MB he has ever owned.
    But I wanted to try and keep the same service for all my cars. Oh well. If there is a way to integrate the iPod into the system and control it from the car's controls, I'd be just as happy, as my wife and I both have iPods and that would work as well as satellite radio for me. :)

-Paul
    Still trying to determine if the V6 or the I6 diesel would be a better way to go...
    The new V6 is easily the best way to go. Slightly more power and much cleaner, plus its teamed with the new 7-speed tranny. This is a knockout combo in a diesel. Problem is that the new V6 most likely won't show up in any U.S. market Mercedes until the 2007 model year (fall 2006) because the current diesel fuel is too dirty for the advantages of the new V6 to be realized, plus MB wants (and did) test it with the new fuel not the current supply. It would be very costly to certify this new V6 for one model year (2006) and then do it again for another (2007), when the new fuel low-sul diesel is available.

M
    Thanks for the input on that. I thought the new V6 was coming in MY 2006. Something to consider there as well. The vehicle I'll be trading in will be a GM vehicle. Their employee purchase program for everybody sent my car's value through the floor even more! :(

-Paul
  • dindfwdindfw Member Posts: 1
    Am interested in purchasing a 320 CDI with the current in-line 6. Will there be any issues with this current engine when the new low sulfur fuel is required in late 06? Will any retrofitting be necessary with the engine?
    It should run great on ULSD. Germany has had ULSD a long time and their engines were designed around that fuel. It runs great in my 2005 Passat TDI. It should keep the engine a lot cleaner running.
  • vl39vl39 Member Posts: 14
    Just received email from MBUSA stating information on the 2006 CDI will be released in July.
    I have a 2005 E 320 CDI. To make a long story short, I decided to trade it in on a Subaru Tibeca because I am relocating and want or need an all wheel drive.

The Subaru dealer called the Mercedes dealer here in Las Vegas Nevada (the only one) and was offered $33,000 for the car. I knew I was going to take a hit, but over $20,000 for basically a brand new car.

I don't know if it is just my MB dealer in LV that is a rip off artist, or these things simply have no value. I am really disgusted and can honestly say I will never purchase a MB again after this debacle.

I should add that my girlfriend was offered $19,000 for her 2002 Saab 9-5 in a trade-in for a Hynduai, so apparently the MB is only worth $14,000 more than a three year saab that was falling apart.

Good luck to all of you and at least don't buy one here in LV.
    Sell it yourself. They are going to hit you hard on a new car trade-in. If it is low miles and still like new it should bring $45k in a heartbeat. Especially in a town like LV. How are you going to step down to a Subaru after that car? They bring a real premium in CA. You could get more than you paid for it.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    yeah, selling it to a californian used could be the way to go. maybe you can find a southern cal auto broker such as that one that specializes in volksy TDIs.

trading it a 2005 benz for a Subaru just for the AWD sounds lame.
    although i did trade an E320 wagon for a jetta TDI wagon after 4 years.

i bet you probably don't really need AWD! pffft on AWD.
    a set of 4 blizzaks on the CDI will make it great in snow.
    a set of 4 blizzaks on the CDI will make it great in snow.

With a lot more style, and better mileage than the Subaru. If it does not work out sell it where ever you are moving. Then downgrade to the Subaru. CA is the best bet for top dollar. They are a prized jewel in the LA & Bay area.
  • watchmaniacwatchmaniac Member Posts: 1
    Please describe the cars color, milage, equipment. I may be interested.
    I should add that I really like to the MB CDI

It is fast, powerful and gets unreal gas mileage. I had some issues with it recently, but after the second visit the service dept. figured out the problem and it should be smooth sailing.

What bothers me, however, is the way it performed in the rain. I have little confidence in its bad weather performance. But after reading some of the comments, tires are probably the issue.

Another point is I have had nothing but front wheel drives and I believe that driving in poor weather in a rear wheel drive will just take some getting used to.

I think I will hold out for the ML diesel when it hits. The gas mileage is really hard to give up.

Thanks
  • ichenichen Member Posts: 7
    Can you elaborate a little about the rain/poor weather driving, merc?
    Thanks
  • wwilliams86wwilliams86 Member Posts: 1
    Wow,

Dealers always rip you off. Unless there was really something wrong with it, you should have sold it yourself. I would have gladly taken it off your hands for 33k, but if you had advertised it I doubt if I would have been able to do so with all the competition. But with 33k cash you could have negotiated quite a bit on your new car.

Is it still for sale? Even with the airfare that would be a good deal for somebody.
  • ichenichen Member Posts: 7
    I will probably take delivery of a new 2005 320 cdi come tuesday.. although, i do read some things about the new year model 2006 coming out soon?

Any details, differences? things worth waiting instead for, or anything to use as a bargaining chip?

I would think about waiting another year for the probably ?07 cdi's that will run on the lower sulfur, but don't see the ability to wait the whole year (unless i lease for 1 year instead of buying?) Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    The new CDI will be the V6 which just set all those endurance records in Texas. I would think that you could try to squeeze the dealer a bit with that. I think the current CDI is a fine engine. It will run on poor diesel that the new one will not like.
  • ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    If you accept $33,000 on an '05 CDI, you are a complete fool! Unless your car has over 100,000 miles on it, or major body damage, it's worth at least $45,000 used, and $40,000 trade... I used to sell used cars, and I know the games... this guy is trying to steal the car from you... and he'll turn around and get a $15000 profit on it when he sells it in CA for $50000... Don't be a freaking fool man! The fact that your girl got $19,000 on an '02 Saab should send you a message that you're getting ripped!

WAKE UP.