Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    We appear to be on a similar boat. My commute is 4 miles each way and I am concerned that I won't be able to maximize the benefit of CDI. If you live in a cold climate, it might not be worth it since it could take a couple of minutes to warm up, making your commute 40% longer!!! Consider the E350. I still like the CDI.

Re: The NAV, I find it more difficult to use than the ones in Acura and Lexus. Nevertheless, I'd much prefer to have one. It's nice to just see where I am.
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for the input. Does the CDI really take time to warm up before initiating driving? I tend to just start the car and go- although I drive pretty gently when it is cold. Have gathered that it is easier on the car to drive it easily (as opposed to leadfooting it) when cold than let it sit at idle. Is this true for diesels also?
    I live in Portland, OR, so climate is relatively mild, although can get just below freezing in winter for relatively short periods of time.

Perhaps I'll just have to think of more driving to do each morning- how about that for a reverse economy? :D
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I don't think you'll have any problems if you live in Portland. I am just outside NYC and the last few winters have been pretty cold (or so I thought). But even here I think it will be fine. I also always take off immediately after starting, although very slowly.
  • harley3harley3 Member Posts: 10
    My CDI is in right know waiting on an EGR valve ....... Also I have read many complaints regarding the brakes and that there are fixes out there . Does anyone know specifically what the fixes are . All dealers are not on the same page when comes to resolutions to problems / complaints from owners ......... Other than that the CDI is a wonderful auto ......
  • ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    These new tech diesels aren't like the old... you need only warm it up for 1 minute or so, at a moderate idle of about 1000rpm and go! The power if significantly greater than the E350 (which I also have), and the freeway driving quieter due to the added sound insulation.

As for NAV.. I got it on both my E's and love it, well worth the $1400 or so. Sirus not worth it for me, and I got leather on on car, and MB-tex on the other, and can't tell the difference.. so that's a tossup. I hear the MB tex is more durable. Parktronic is a great feature, I have on my E350 and may retrofit to my CDI.. Avoid the DC Air suspension, due to complexity, and avoid drive dynamic seats as my E350 with them at only 3400 miles had one fail... imagine how it's going to be at 50001 miles when you have to plop down $1500 for a new seat!

The MB's are basically sound mechanically, and engineered like tanks when it comes to safety.. they drive every bit as good as Audi and BMW, but unlike Lexus, they don't do high-tech very well, so avoid the worthless high tech features.
    Thanks for the input re: the Nav feature. As it is part of the Premium package now, I'll probably just get it. Am happy to see that the more recent models have the 6 CD changer in dash, not in glove box. Am thinking I might get the iPOD attachment, tho'.

Disappointed to hear about the drive dynamic seats- I was actually seriously considering that option. What do you think caused yours to fail? Are they pneumatically controlled or electronically controlled? And, does the seat feel that funky if the air "dynamic" is non-functional? (just wondering about the seat if it does fail, as you say, at 50001 miles!)

I was also considering just doing the MB tex seats- good to hear your experience.
    Thank you!!
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    After having read so many good comments for E320 CDI, I am going to bring one home tomorrow afternoon. I drove three E-Class before, one of them was 98
    E300 diesel which was a 3 L. engine with out put of 170 HP. Somehow that was the only car I kept for over two years so far as MB is concerned. I keep telling mysel I will keep a good car for a longtime, and this CDI might make me keep my promise! I got good and bad experinces from the Touareg V10 tdi, and absolutely the good taste on 04 & 05 Passat tdi 2 L. inline 4. I don't understand why VW wouldn't bring more tdi in V6 or V8 forms. For 05 VW has no V10, and Passat gets no tdi in 06. The best carmaker to turn to now is the MB E320 CDI before the less durable V6 comes in with the more maintenance particles trap.
    This car is already setting records for resale value, and I'm sure part of it is due to the long term durability of this engine.
    I just picked up my CDI on Wednesday. The car was made on 06/05. The base price was $51825, but there are over 12k options list. I got only three options, total added up to the tune of $555769 and there is no other CDI there, but plenty of E350, E500 and even E55. The Touareg V10 with the base about $ 59000 came in carrying the options less than 5k. This time the MB has no free schedule maintenance for new car, but insists that I bring the car back within first 3k for free check up and before 65k for tire rotation, after that just change the oil and filter every 13k. For two days, I put 65 miles in the odometer; the car runs like a charm, better than any MB I bought before which included the 55 model. A really good car indeed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    :-)
  • sfeldmansfeldman Member Posts: 4
    I have my mercedes e 320cdi for almost one year and I am really empressed with the overall workmanship. I picked it up in Stuttgart last October. There is one major problem: after driving this car I will not be able to drive anything but mercedes.
  • tkilliamtkilliam Member Posts: 1
    Anyone hear of late model E320 CDi's getting vegetable oil (aka SVO) conversion kit added - the latest I could find in threads about that topic was a '95...
    The E320 CDI was just put out by Mercedes around April 04 as 04 model. I got the 98 turbo diesel which was the E300D and that was the last diesel in E-Class until the E320 CDI showed up. The name CDI was never used before for all the diesel models here in US; the abbreviation for Common Rail Direct Fuel Injection. To answer your question about the alternative fuel; the manual insists that only #2 diesel can be used. I had just put almost 600 miles in the CDI’s odometer. By comparing the CDI to the 300D, the different is like day and night. You feel the 300D was slow and heavy, on the other hand, you wouldn’t know that the CDI is a diesel while you drive the car; this car is fast and quiets enough as any other luxury car. The one significant character is the 3.2 L. CDI consumes the fuel as good as my 05 Passat 2.L. TDI does! ( 27/37 vs. 27/38, 3835 vs. 3455 curb weight ) And I did contact the Greasecar at (413) 529-0013 and I got all the information on vegetable fuel system which gives the instructions saying the system is not good for PD ( TDI ) injector and the similar super high pressure injector that used in CDI. So, if you intend to use the vegetable fuel system, the older diesel models might be the choice.
  • r69sr69s Member Posts: 4
    I looked at a couple new '05 Mercedes E320 CDI's today and they impressed me. I got a price on one: List $54k; dealer offered at $47.5k. Don't know if this is good or not, since it will effectively be a year-old model any day now. Comments? Thanks
    The car is 54k msrp, and you were asked only 47.5k which is 6.5k off and that turns into more than 12% off, regardless the model year, the dealer is selling you a car below his cost, I would run over there and get that car right the way! The fuel price is up, up, up to the sky! If the car was made on 04/05 or 03/05, the deal would be even better. All the cars come out after 05/05 will be 06 models. I was not that lucky, I just pick one made on 05/05 and I was only able to negotiate 2k down the msrp. Why wait?
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Member Posts: 14
    That sounds like a great deal, where did you go and do they have more than one CDI ?
    Willie Nelson and Pat Goss (motorweek master mechanic) both have a CDI..

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/users/artists/willie.shtm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/05/11/DI2005051101010.html

Indianapolis, Indiana: Pat, if you were a car ... what car would you be and why?

"Pat Goss: I would be what I drive. A 2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI. It's a diesel, it's unbelievably powerful, it's comfortable, it's quiet. And I love the 30-40 miles per gallon. And 6-700 miles between fill-ups.'
    Sorry to be so slow to reply. I left for the weekend at Lake Erie and just returned home. I went again today to the dealer. He has 2 E320 CDI's, one Listing at $53,905 and another at $52,995. He'll sell them for $47,583 and $46,736, resp. My wife, who wanted another Midnight Blue has opted for the Black one rather than Desert Silver. I don't know when either was made, but the Black one is older, as it has the 2-piece console cover for the cup holders. The Desert Silver has the sliding lid that resembles a roll-top desk. Part of the discount is a $3000 rebate from the factory for the holdover '05 E320's. There is a further discount if you are a Chrysler/Mercedes employee or related to one. I don't qualify for this, but I think it's only another thousand dollars, not that I wouldn't like to get it if I could. Thanks for your input!
    Did you get the iPod option. I have negotiated for one on an '05 CDI that I hope to close on tomorrow. They have quoted me $299 for the iPod parts, plus 4 hours to install (@$90 per). How does this compare with your experience? Also, we've had 2 previous MB's with MB tex. It's wonderful. Our 1980 240D had 275,000 miles on it when I gave it to a niece, and the seats, including the driver's seat, looked almost new. Likewise with our 1990 300E with 115k. Upholstery looks new!
    Does the 2005 Mercedes radio/CD Changer play MP3 CD's?
    According to the Comand (a misspelling for command?)Operator’s Manual for 06 & 05, the single CD on the dash board is equipped for CD & MP3. The CD CHANGER doesn’t say that on the manual. I haven’t gotten a MP3 to try yet.
    I've been searching for an '05 CDI with parktronic and xenons, preferably white, or other light color. Also would like most of the other options. Prem pkg, rear seat pkg, electronic trunk closer (does anyone have opinion yay or nay about this?). Keyless go seems like it would be nice although I'm sure it is a lot of money for a relatively minor convenience. However, Parktronic with the lighting pkg (xenons) seems hard to find. Anyone got any ideas/ input?
    Thanks!!
    ('06 doesn't have as many options available. However if I don't find what I want then I"ll just do a Euro dely '06)
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Am I the only one who has seen the recent article in Car and Driver magazine by Tony Swan on the Jeep Liberty Diesel? At the end of the article Swan states that new emission regs taking effect in 2007 will eliminate all current diesel passenger cars in the US. Why would Mercedes be investing in a V-6 diesel if this car does not meet future EPA regs? I hope I am missing something as I am interested in a diesel Mercedes (preferably an S class like I recently rode in in Europe) in the next 18-24 months.

Back to the S320 in europe, I was a front seat passenger in this beauty for 3 days before I was informed it was a diesel! It really pushed you back in the seat and according to my embassy driver was very frugal. Oh, to have the ability to purchase such a car in the states. Why are we so penalized here. The worst part of going to europe is seeing all of the automobiles available over there that the "experts" won't allow us to have here.

Thanks for the info....
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i saw a recent c&d editorial saying similar things and everything i've read is consistent with that. there are unresolved issues with future diesel cars in USA. EPA requires no urea-canister swaps until 120k - current tech cannot meet that requirement- but can meet a 25k urea-canister-swap interval. it's not clear if other particle-filters will make the grade either. i think the fact is that nobody knows for sure. don't count out the diesel engineers yet though. and maybe epa will relent on the 120k requirement. ok, that's gotta be a longshot!
  • duke7duke7 Member Posts: 3
    Part of the equation that may be missing here are new regulations that will bring cleaner diesel fuel to the pumps in, I believe, 06. One of the reasons the US struggles with emissions for diesels, and manufacturers struggle with some of their CDI technology here, is that Europe has cleaner fuel. The fuel is to be cleaned up here allowing for more diesel cars to meet NA standards rather than fewer.
    my understanding is that even with ultra-low-sulfur-diesel, all these problems remain - the newest EPA regs cannot be met by the latest technology. so i've already snagged a 2005 passat tdi, traded a 2003 jetta tdi for it. the 2005 has its bugs, but it's reliable, as was the 2003. i'd consider a Benz diesel too if Benz could only make reliable new cars. it's nice to see some new CDIs going for thousands under MSRP,- but i still can't bring myself to pay twice the cost of a volksy TDI for a car that isn't half as reliable. i owned a 1999 E320 4matic wagon for 4 years - the features were great but it was the least reliable new car i've ever owned - out of more than 15 new cars - including 5 Z28s. if Benz ever learns how to make reliable cars i will consider buying another one, even at twice the cost of a VW.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have thought about the E320 CDI after I sell my 2005 Passat TDI. Maybe I should rethink this. I like the Passat. I just bought it to drive for a while and sell in CA after the 7500 miles are on it. I am having a difficult time finding another so my price keeps going up. It must be hard for people that have had MB forever to experience a lot of reliability issues. Kind of sad with that grand heritage.
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I purchased a 2005 E320 CDI in July 2004 and now have a little over 10K miles on it. So far I have no problems with it. My wife has a 2002 C320 with about 15K trouble free miles. Previously I owned a 2001 E320 and it had about 45K miles on it when I traded. I only had a very minor temperature display problem right after I purchased it. I also had a 1995 C280 that I drove for about 50K miles with only a fuel pump replacement at about 42K miles.
    have you kept track of your mileage on the E320 CDI? I do like that car. We want to do the Germany delivery if we buy one. I would go for the "R" if it was offered with the CDI. My wife does not like the looks of any of the new SUVs on the market.
    Message for gagrice: Yes I have kept records of all fuel used. My usage/mileage is as follows: Overall 27.932 mpg calculated (total miles/total fuel)with 9856 total miles, 352.86 gal, mostly Houston, Tx driving.
    Highest, 35.5 mpg calculated (33.3 mpg per onboard computer), 552 miles mostly highway between Houston & Dallas, Tx.
    Lowest, 18.75 mpg (18.7 mpg per computer), Houston.Tx driving. Please note that I am not the best driver for good mpg as I tend to be fast start and fast stop! However, on the highway I try to stay close to the speed limit (mostly 70 mph) by using the cruise control.
    folks, good to hear about some reliable new benzes. our 1999 E320 wagon had a huge # of warranty issues and dealer visits in the first year - it was ridiculous. if you check the other E320 forums here you'll see an amazing # of horror stories. who knows, maybe i'll take the benz plunge again some year. there were so many things i loved about the E320!
    best regards, folks!
  • fldickfldick Member Posts: 3
    I see on the web (germancarfans.com/manufacturers/mb) a July 2005 announcement from MB of the availability in Europe of the 2006 E320 CDI 4MATIC with an all new V6 diesel engine. Given MB's past history of introducing first in Europe and a year later in the US, is it likely that this spells the end of the in-line 6 diesel now offered here in favor of the V6 for the 2007 models?

The real question is whether this new engine will meet US environmental standards required for a tax credit under the new Energy bill signed by the President this summer.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yes, the current I6 diesel is history for the 2007 model year. Mercedes is certifying the new V6 using clean diesel for the 2007 model year. The only question is when, not if. Clean diesel isn't mandatory until Sept 2006, so I'd say at the earliest Nov-Dec 2006 the new V6 CDI models will arrive. These should include a ML320 and R320 CDI also.

M
    Thanks for the inputs. The MB United Kingdom website offers further details on the "Second Generation Diesels" now on sale there. MB UK says the E320 CDI V6 with seven speed automatic transmission has fuel consumption of
    City - 26.7 mpg
    Extra urban - 47.1 mpg
    Combined - 37.2 mpg
    a top speed of 155 mph, does 0-62.5 in 6.8sec, and meets EU4 environmental standards.

Am I missing something, or are those mpg figures significantly better than those of the 2006 in-line 6 CDI now on sale in the US? Due to the new transmission and its effect on highway mileage?

Any idea whether passing EU4 means it will also pass the Energy Bill tax credit standards?

If these suppositions are correct, sounds like a good idea to wait for the 2007.
    I think the MPG are a bit skewed as those are Imperial gallons. Still for a big car it is very good. EU4 standards are not as stringent as our new EPA regs due out soon. Our standards are more concerned with getting each and every particle of pollution from the exhaust. CO2 and mileage are secondary. That is where the US and the rest of the world are not in agreement.
    Right you are - I must be losing it! Converting to US gallons gives 22.2 city, 39.3 highway and 31 combined, compared with 27/37/32 for the I6. Not enough difference to sway a decision. Wonder why the city mileage on the V6 is lower?
    Well that seven speed tranny definitely helps. I'd definitely wait for the 2007 model because the E-Class in general is also up for a facelift for 2007.

M
    Hi Merc1:
    I think you may have mentioned this 2007 facelift for the E class, but the dealerships locally have both indicated this will be in '09. Do you have a source for your comment? Are we talking significant change in appearance?
    I haven't yet purchased my CDI. Have been thinking I'll do it any day because am wanting to have the in-line 6, but am open to considering the V6 if there is evidence that it will match reliability of the inline6.
    :confuse:
    Thanks!!
    Well what they're talking about is an all-new E-Class, yes that will probably arrive in 2009 if Mercedes keep their current 7-year model run schedule. However the E is due for a "facelift" for 2007. New lights, bumpers, new features, engines etc. Nothing major, just a refreshening.

M
    M-
    Aah! That clarifies things. Where do you get your "inside scoop"? Is there info out there on which options they'll be adding? (I will miss the rear heated seats that my Audi A6 has! Keep hoping that will come along in the E-class.) Will new headlights likely be more similar to the S class? I'm sure that MBZ doesn't want this info out before the models are nearly out because it wants to keep the selling fever high for the current year, but...
    Thx
    Just various websites like Germancarfans.com, Germancarforums.com and others. Mercedes is very predictable when it comes to when new models and facelifts will appear.

Generally they produce a model for 7 years with a facelift coming for year 4 or 5 and generally a new engine only comes during or after a facelift, or in some rare cases they will introduce a new car and engine at the same time, but that doesn't happen very often.

Once a new engine debuts in the lineup, like the new 3.5L V6 it is just a matter of time before every other V6 Mercedes gets the new engine, usually within 6-10 months. Now for 2006 every MB (except the outgoing S350) has the new DOHC V6 in either 3.5L, 3.0L or 2.5L guise.

This new V8 in the 2007 S500 will be present in every other Mercedes with a "500" badge by the 2007 model year, though they'll stagger the introductions, but you can bet that the current 3-valve SOHC is outta here.

The facelifted E-Class will likely be shown at the Geneva auto show in March 2006, on will go on sale here like in July/August, but the diesel might be a little longer since clean diesel isn't law until Sept 2006.

M
    Thank you!! Appreciate understanding the "template" used by MBZ!

I was even starting to think about just waiting and getting the V6 diesel in the E class, but I also read that they are adding a particulate filter which seems to me like another maintenance expense/potential problem area, as well as less tried & true technology, so am bumping up my time frame to accomodate somewhat.

However, I think these filters are already in place in EU?
    The filters work with low sulfur diesel Our diesel is so bad it would clog up the filter very quickly. The people I have talked to with the E320 CDI love them. One fellow that has a home in Dallas & here in San Diego makes a lot of trips between the two. He says he never gets less than 37 MPG on the highway driving well over the sped limit most of the time. If we drove more I would get one for sure. It is overkill for running errands to the store.
    However, I think these filters are already in place in EU?

Yes they are, and they work fine from everything I've read on other boards. Gagrice is right about them when it comes to why they aren't the current U.S. market E320 CDI, they'd have to be changed way too often. Once clean diesel is mandatory, the filter change can be done at the same time as the regular service is performed.

M
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Is the current I6 a cast iron block construction, what is the future V6 diesel block construction? If it is an alloy or aluminum construction, it might have an impact on my future car buying plans. Since anecdotal evidence seems to run rampant in this forum, my 2 BMW's have been more trouble free than the 1 M-B I have owned. I am considering a 5 series vs the E class, although the 3.0 liter 6 speed 5 series is rated 20 city 30 highway. The prospects of a 6-700 mile range is very appealing along with the other benefits of a diesel engine (longevity, torque). The BMW I6 is no slouch either, but just doesn't produce the fuel economy or longevity of the I6 diesel. One could argue that these are two very different cars, one being more of a highway cruiser while the other having a more sporting flare, but as my wife's primary vehicle, I am just happy she doesn't mind driving a manual transmission!
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth, in deciding between the E320CDI or 5 series, you base the decision on what you/your wife would like to drive for the next 3-5-7+ years that you intend to keep it.

One of my business partners is a Mercedes diesel guy. Drives a 2005 CDI that he traded in his 1999 E300TD for. Still has a 300D that he passed down to one of his daughters in college. Blew up an old 240D because he was too cheap (his words) to buy a new thermostat and it overheated or he'd be pushing 400k miles in it.

I have great respect for him - he's the best partner I've ever had - but I have a different opinion on what I like to drive. Other than his old 240D, he has never owned a stick. He enjoys driving my 2003 M5 on occasion, but would never be considered a driving enthusiast. I have to remind him that 4000+ rpm doesn't blow up a BMW engine. I am very comfortable as a passenger in his car, but I would find it far less fun to drive on a routine basis than a 530i 6-speed.

With respect to the points you made on the benefits of the E320 CDI vs. 530i, I would point out the following: (1) Both engines will probably last longer than 95% of buyers would likely keep the car. The I6 BMW is good for 200k miles+ with proper maintenance. (2) The rest of the car is what I would consider. My partner's 16 month old E320 CDI has been back to the shop more than my 3 Year old M5. Your anecdotal evidence regarding reliability appears to be the rule, not the exception, comparing the current E class to 5 series. If you think a new Mercedes diesel will be as "frugal" to keep on the road as an old 240/300D, think again. (3) Fuel efficiency differences (between 530i and E320 CDI, not my M5) are small dollars in the overall scheme of things with $50k+ vehicles. Do the math and it probably works out to about the difference between BMW still giving you free maintenance and Mercedes not. (4) 600+ mile ranges are great for Montana, but I assume you live somewhere where thery have running water and gas stations? My orthopedic surgeon has a poster in his office with recommendations for keeping ones body and joints healthy. I believe item #3 is to never drive more than 2-3 hours without stopping, walking around and stretching.

I am not trying to talk you out of an E-diesel and into a 5-gas. I'm just suggesting that the driving differences are apples and oranges, especially with a 5-series manual / sport package car. That, IMO, should be the primary basis for your decision.
    I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about buying from the local dealer vs. out of state? I have found a much better deal on the car that I am looking for out of state, even including shipping to me. How important is it to have a salesman relationship/contact once the car is in my driveway? (The local dealers would have me think it is very important, and thus I should pay at least $1000 more for the car...) Am I being penny-wise and pound foolish to go with a non-local dealer?
    I have purchased four new Mercedes since 1995 and I must say that after the sale on the first three the salesman quit or went to another dealer. My latest buy, by chance, was from the same salesman that sold me the first MB but he was at a different dealer. It is my opinion that it probably makes no difference where you purchase the vehicle as long as it is from an authorized MB dealer. Anyway, what can the salesman do after the sale? Good luck on your decision.
  • billowenbillowen Member Posts: 1
    i am a nubie to the site so please forgive in errors.

Are there many discounts on E300 cdi like this available. how does one located a loaded cdi with large discounts. live in nashville.

i've been a long time fan of MB diesels having bought my first ( a 1983 300D ) in 1982 and special ordered an 1987 300 SDL from the factory in1986. My 300D is now up to 361k miles with only minor problem and is still going strong as is my 1987SDL.

But i wanted to cover my bases and I figuring diesels would be in short supply plus not being pleased about all of the negative quality reports about mercedes, last year on impulse i bought an 2004 Passat tdi. It just isn't the same as the benz. i frankly like my old 300d better, but it can't last forever.

I gather form this site i should be able to get top dollar for the 2004 tdi in Ca. It only has 3k miles and stays garaged. How would one go about selling a diesel car like the tdi in Ca if it isn't legal in Ca.?

And where can i find discounts on a 2005n or 2006 cdi like the ones mentioned.

Thank you any input or guidence

bill owen
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I purchased my last three cars from ourt of state dealers - two Acura's and a Porsche. The Porsche dealer is only 55 miles away, so I will probably take it to them for major service. But in the case of the Acuras, I have had no problem taking them to a local dealer for routine service and, in one case, a recall repair to the HVAC system. The local dealer's service manager could care less that I bought them out of state and he has followed up with each service to make sure I was pleased.

Mercedes doesn't offer the free service anymore, so I see no reason why you should be anxious about buying out of state.