Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Thanks!
    I have never actually purchased a brand-new vehicle, so not sure what exactly to expect on receipt of the new car.

I have an '00 Audi A6 wagon (which I will be selling when I get this car)- bought it out of state with only 4K miles- have had no problem with the dealer here when it needed warranty repair or service. Different departments entirely.

Yee Hah!!
  • au1114au1114 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2006 CDI AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING BETWEEN 26 COMBO AND 34 37 MPG HIGHWAY AND THATS IN THE FIRST 2600 MILES. WATCH YOUR LOUD PEDAL AND HAVE IT INSTRUMENTED JUST IN CASE. SG MD
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    80k miles 34MPG combined, no problems, one brake pad change. Wonderful car
  • bazohimbabazohimba Member Posts: 14
    I am drooling so much 'cause I've ordered an '06 E320 CDI with everything except the pano roof and keyless go (which I would have liked, but... never having seen it demonstrated... not keen on paying a grand for it). I also eliminated the trunk closer.
    The cars I drove were quick, almost as quick as my Audi TT 3.2 DSG roadster. They seemed to be very quiet, and handled well.

I especially like the time between fueling.

bazohimba
  • dpopadpopa Member Posts: 2
    i have purchased a 320 CDI in august and has been in the shop for two weeks already. one day at less than 1000 miles, after my wife left with the car I had a big puddle of oil on the garage floor. they took the car in, and didn't do anything on it for a couple of days telling me that it's beyond their experience and they have called a german tech to come look at it. after a week they told me that the tech got there and the oil cooler has busted a seal and the oil got in the radiator. after another week they had the car ready. they put 200 miles on it, gave it to me with 1/4 tank of diesel, after i had just refueled before they took it in. the car had all kind of marks on the carpet, driver side. i complained, they filled it up, cleaned up and told me that they had to drive it, so...the 200 miles.
    less than two weeks later the CD changer got stuck and the CD doesn't work. i'm about to start hating the car. it never does 37 miles a gallon unless you're rolling down the hill, outta gear. the air flow from the air conditioning whistles loudly.
    how does mercedes get to have such a name when numerous things go weird with one of their cars?
  • shibumishibumi Member Posts: 2
    I have just started seriously looking at the 320 CDI. One option that was mentioned was the Starmark extended 8 year/100,000 mile warrantee. Does anyone know if this is actually a MB offered extended warrantee and if so, is it bumper to bumper and worth the extra money?

So much to read, is the consensus still that this is a good bet from a reliability standpoint? Any options to make sure to include or stay away from?

Thanks for any input!
  • cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    We are wanting to go from a 2 SUV family to a 1 SUV, 1 sedan (or station wagon). My wife really likes the Volvo XC wagon, but our dealer also has a E320 CDI which we drove (and I love). It is an 05, and not loaded I think the only options it has are heated seats, sunroof and cd changer.
    I am surprised to see all the horror stories - especially on the E320 board. We owned a 2001 C320 for about 3 years with no problems. If I talk my wife into a CDI and it turns out to be a piece, I'm going to be hating life.
    I've read back in the board quite a ways, and I know there are major updates/changes coming possibly in 07, but what are the differences between the 2005 and 2006?
    Any reason to wait for an 06 instead of picking up this 05?
    Thanks!
  • ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    I have both the XC90 and the CDI, and I and my wife couldn't be happier with this combo! The amazing this is how different they two fuel bills are.... the CDI is easily twice as cheap to operate! And more fun to drive! But the XC is the family hauler! And for once in my life I have two cars that are powered by my favorite type of engine, and I-6... smooth as silk.. and lots of low end torque. Both have a bit of turbo lag, and the 4-spd hurts the Volvo, but bother truly leave little to desire.

here are some pics:

Volvo XC90
    http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum12.html
    Mercedes E320 CDI
    http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum33.html
  • ssamahassamaha Member Posts: 17
    BTW the '05 and '06 CDI are IDENTICAL.

It's the '07 that will have the aluminum V6 (blah!)..

:mad:
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    For 06 CDI you got the option for 17" wheel that is it! To me, the 16" is more appropriate; I have a hard time to get the little brush in between tires and the housing to do the cleaning. I got this car over a month ago; with about 2100 miles in the odometer, no known problem exists, smooth, powerful, I don't bother to check the EPA, with my driving habit, I fill up the car every time the trip meter shows about 450 miles in it, that is about 1/4 left in the tank, a good car indeed!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Platinum Blue? Nice E320.

M
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a used 05 with 27,000 miles. It had a $680 paint upgrade, panorama roof $1600, heated seats $ 680, 6 disc CD changer $970. All total this 05 came to $56,000. I paid $40,000. Is that a good deal? Too late now I already bought it. Does anyone have any idea what the resale value will be in two years if the car has 100,000 ?

Also thinking about purchasing winter tire as I live in Minnesota, any suggestions
    If the car has no known problem existed; with only 27k in the odometer, you got a great deal. There is no more new 05 in my area, and I didn't see a used one either, for the 06 which is the same car as the 05, the true price is around 53k-54k with sun roof, front heated seats, and 6-cd changer only. Why I know that, I just got one.
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Member Posts: 14
    I just went by a gas station and noticed that diesel is selling for $.50 more than unleaded. I remember last year when it always sold for .25 less the unleaded. Does anyone really know why it's selling for more. Is it a supply issue. I thought gas was in short supply not diesel. Furthermore it cost less to refine diesel than gas.

Please help me to understand what's going on.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Read an article in the Wall Street Journal. It seems Rita knocked out 3 gas refineries. So refineries making diesel were converted to the gas business and up went the price of diesel. Hopefully it will even back out shortly.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    FWIW, I'm seeing the price of gasoline back down sharply from where it was immediately after Rita here in southeastern Virginia. Maybe diesel will catch up (catch down?) any minute now.
  • sglausersglauser Member Posts: 4
    Not sure where you live; I'm in Atlanta. I heard an interesting theory on why gas/diesel is now higher than the national average, when it was much lower prior to Katrina. Seems the Gulf pipeline(s) feed the Northeast first, then send the rest back to the South (probably a big loop). So, when there's surplus left over at the end of the line, gas prices in ATL fall. But now, with the shortages, there's a "trickle" left by the time it gets here. Law of supply and demand then applies. Diesel in ATL, BTW, is now about the same as premium unleaded. But as long as my CDI keeps getting 33-34mpg - I'm good up to about $4.50/gal before I'll fret.
  • sekinneysekinney Member Posts: 2
    i have 4 michelin pilot alpin winter tires on mine. definitely do 4 rather than 2.
  • cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the replies everybody; ssamaha: That's quite a garage-full you have there..... I hope I can talk my wife into the E320 before somebody else buys it.

Did anybody else see the article in this months Road & Track about the E320 cdi? They (Mercedes) put 100,000 miles on three E320's in one month. According to R&T, they had no mechanical failures at all, requiring only scheduled oil changes. That sounds like a pretty good testimonial to their reliability.

Finally, and I apologize if this has been beaten to death here, but if I buy an 05 will it burn the new "clean" diesel due out in 2006 - or will it use the "old" diesel?

Thanks again
  • ichenichen Member Posts: 7
    It'll use the new clean diesel without any changes at all..
    Great photos!
    I just ordered mine in white/charcoal- but the plat blue and pewter were close 2nd choices! The photo album was great fun! Thanks... I think you must truly love your vehicles :)

Now just need to find a new home for my A6 wagon. Admit, in some ways it will be hard to part with it, but have such a nice replacement I probably won't be sad for too long!

How was the learning curve for you with the Nav and other functions?
    The heating oil is essentially the same stuff we call diesel. Now people start buying the heating fuel, in winter, the diesel does go up. I felt the price pain from October to April every time I filled up the Touareg V10 tdi. It is just less pain for the CDI I just got, it takes less money to fill up.
  • kczachkczach Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment. My wife has an E 350 and loves it as do I. I also noticed that the vents whistle quite a bit. Make sure that your rear vents are open and that significantly reduces the whistle. Sounds like you need to have a friendly chat with your service department or find a new one if that doesn't work. Good luck
  • captainjoecaptainjoe Member Posts: 7
    My 05 E320 CDI has been in the shop 5 times since purchasing in May 2005. The main problem is sudden loss of power when stepping on the accelerator. It typically happens after I have been driving for 5 or 10 minutes. The car will be performing normally and then I step on the accelerator and the car accelerates very slowly (0 to 60 mph in about 20 seconds). If a stop the car, turn off and restart the problem self corrects. In addition, my battery intermittently loses it's charge and requires a jump start, even if I used the car 24 hours prior. My dealer says they have never encountered these problems. Last time in shop (5 days) they replaced a sensor related to the battery. The next morning the battery was dead. I love the car when it's working properly, but I think this one may be a lemon. Help!
    Re: the slow acceleration:
    Is your turbocharger working??

Did they check the battery for bad cell/fluid levels? Even sealed batteries sometimes are defective. Also, sometimes when the weather changes, poor battery contacts can be an issue (take the leads off the battery terminals, clean and replace them again.) Admittedly this usually doesn't happen during the first year of service, but...
  • ottovondieselottovondiesel Member Posts: 4
    Captainjoe: I feel your pain. I've had a few problems of my own with my CDI. My problems were a little different, though, mostly brake-related. I was driving down the road when I first got her with my bride by my side when an animal tried to cross the road. Groundhog or beaver, I'm not sure which. When I hit the brakes, they locked up on me and sent poor Friedl into the dash, loosening up her two front teeth. Now I not only need a good mechanic, but I need a good oral surgeon as well. Mercedes feels it isn't responsible for the two small holes in the dash from Friedl's teeth. I don't know if I can help you with your loss of power, but I think I have a fix for your battery: Take off the terminals, clean them with a wire brush and then rub a little snake oil on the terminals before you reconnect them. Works every time!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "aWhen I hit the brakes, they locked up on me and sent poor Friedl into the dash,"

Was she not wearing seatbelts????
    Dear Nedzel: Sadly, she was not wearing a seatbelt. My Friedl is a large girl -- you might say she likes her sauerbraten and spatzle. Her size makes seatbelts uncomfortable. Since the mishap, she feels safer in the back seat. :(
    rwalker07: I am having a similar problem with about 6000 miles. Did you ever get the problem diagnosed and fixed? :lemon:
    blissful: my car was in the MB dealer shop 5 times. They tried that one a few times without success. Battery connections appear clean as a whistle. Thanks for the comment. :lemon:
    In these past three years I had gone through quite a few new vehicles; among them two gave me the problems were the Audi Allroad 4.2 and the Touareg V10 tdi. Just as you stated, the cars got to go back to the shops again and again. When a new car gets glitch in the first 2-3 months (3k-5k miles), the chances are the problems keep coming and dealers have hard time to completely fix the problematic car. I picked my CDI by the end of this past August, with about 2300 in the odometer, the car runs like a charm, a real good car indeed. I do hope it will be that way as long as I own it! I got a 01 E320 wagon 4matic in September 00, that car had the oil leak in the second day I took it home. The 03 4Runner and 04 Passat wagon tdi are trouble free cars. Now, I am paying close attention to the CDI and the Highlander Hybrid which replaced the 4Runner a month ago.
    Ottovondeisel: I am so sorry about to hear about your brake problems and the damage to your vehicle. Your MB dealer should be empathetic with regards to your damaged luxury automobile. If they don't cover the damage to your dash maybe you can get a gift certificate to the MB merchandise shop. As for Friedl, there's nothing like a getting a few teeth nocked out to help reduce the calorie intake. There are also some other benefits? Best of Luck! :lemon:
    CCTDI: Thanks for the reply. If you here of anyone with my particular problem ask them to post it.
  • bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Your problem may be similar to the problem that I had. Picked up E320 CDI last month. Car has 2600 miles on it. On 4 occasions, I would step on the gas and the engine would rev but not accelerate. I would have to pull the car over to the side of the road and turn off the engine.

Also, from a stop, the car would not accelerate smoothly.

According to the repair receipt, they found that the transmission cooler lines fittings were missing seals and loose. The trans fluid was 2 quarts low.
  • lookintobuyamblookintobuyamb Member Posts: 2
    I am close to buying a 320CDI, is 5% off about as good as it gets ? Thanks
  • got2racegot2race Member Posts: 2
    captain Joe I have had similar problems with my E320 CDI. A couple of weeks ago Me my wife and my kids were out in our E320 I don't know why i have a Brand new Bently sitting in my garage. Any way we were out and i started to push down on the exclerater and this Fat laird in Back of my beped so i beeped back but when i beeped my car stared playing music and the navagation started saying stop before i eat you. So i got so frusterated with this wife and kids screaming I acetely hit cruse control and put my foot on the floure. I felt like i was on the Auto Bond. Now while im pined back and cant See a Dam thing this old Bag rams me in the sarbord side. so i get out and i nottice that ther kis a huge hole in my tire then my YO Ming licence plate is runi9ed so i get in my car rev it up and take off. Now my wife is like Stop it NOW! and Im like im not stoping this Pice of crap untill it sets on fire. so any way i get home at my home in Wayne newJersy and i see that a bunch of little rich punks are spray painting My Bently. I hope my advice was good (please reply) :sick:
  • got2racegot2race Member Posts: 2
    Dam Europeans cant make a good car even thought i am english. I drive a Bently they are great Go check it out get ride of your Benz :)
    Thanks for the reply. My car does not rev when the problem occurs. It is like starting in 3rd or 4th gear. Very slow acceleration!
  • lauren10lauren10 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a E350 on Sept 16th. By Sept 30th my car had to have a transmission valve body replacement. I am nervous about driving the car on the freeway and am unhappy with the service I have received. Mercedes had my car for 17 days. I want to speak with a Regional Rep, but to date I have been unable to get the name and number of someone to talk to. Would anyone happen to have any information on how to contact the appro. person(s) within Mercedes Benz. So far I am not impressed with the customer service level Mercedes as shown me.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Otto:

That's what I expected.

I suspect that belt extenders are available. I strongly suggest that you work something out that allows her to wear seatbelts. It is frankly unsafe to drive or ride without seatbelts. Yes, it might be slightly uncomfortable. How uncomfortable was the oral surgery? Having had some oral surgery myself, I think I know the answer to that.

My vehicle does not move until everyone is wearing their belts. Period, end of discussion. If my passengers don't like it, they can walk. My position drives my in-laws crazy. Too bad. They're in their '80s and have trouble with the belts, so I belt them in myself.

In the '70s, my dad was working as an ER doc part time. When he started doing this, he began an unscientific survey. He asked each car-accident victim that he treated whether they were wearing their seatbelts and how their headrest was adjusted. He stopped his survey after six months because it was pointless -- he could tell immediately whether the patient was wearing seatbelts and had their headrest properly adjusted. The victims who were badly hurt did not have their belts on and/or did not have their headrest adjusted properly. The victims who came in to be checked out "just in case" or "for insurance purposes" were generally fine.

I strongly urge you and yours to rethink the seatbelt issue.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I'm afraid that this message is as incoherent a message as I've read in a while! "Auto Bond"?? "sarbord side"? "rich punks are spray painting my Bently(sic)"?... not to mention that this reads as if you allowed your dog to write it :) Maybe your dog's name is Bently, because the car is called a Bentley :P

I believe you must have a menial grasp of language to post here, maybe I'm wrong. Was funny, however...
    Nedzel: You are 100% right. I was wearing my seatbelt and had no injuries. Friedl, well, you know what happened there. She can be stubborn when she gets her German up. However, I think she's been converted to a seat-belt wearer. Thanks for your concern.

On a happier note, does anyone have any accurate information about the V6 CDI for 2007 mpg figures?
    I bought one by the end of this August, and I was able to negotiate only 2.5k off the MSRP with the # of 55,270.00. In my case, you have a good deal. Beside, I got only one car to choose, the car was made on 05/05.
    I found several dealers willing to go 7% off. What part of the country are you in? Try dealers in Texas, Maryland; Inskip. You'd need to figure in a little extra for shipping, but might be worth it. As I had very specific desires, I couldn't find one already on the lot. The dealers here in Portland would only go to $1000 over invoice. So, I went elsewhere and think it wil work out fine. (Mine is pretty loaded).
  • lookintobuyamblookintobuyamb Member Posts: 2
    Best I can get is 1,000 over invoice locally. Looking for platinum blue which seems to be hard to find, may have to order one. :mad: Thanks
  • bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    When I was shopping for my E320 CDI, I had a choice between the 2005 and 2006's. Bought the car in the Phoenix market.

I wanted the Sirius satellite radio pre-installed so I went with the '05.

I could have purchased the 2006 at invoice using the internet rep.

The '05 that I purchased was for less than invoice and a $3000 dealer rebate money.
    You are a lucky man. When I bought my CDI by the end of August, I couldn't even negotiate 3k off the MSRP. It depends the region, the supply and demand. Nonetheless, the car has been running very well with no problem in the first 3k miles.
    Does anyone have the knowlege about chipping the inline 6 CDI? If the VW's 3.L V6 has 225hp and same amount torque of the CDI, the CDI should have more potent.
    cctdi:
    What exactly do you mean by "chipping the inline 6 CDI"? Are you hoping to get MORE power out of the car by altering the computer input?

Some years ago, it was apparently the case that cars coming greymarket to USA had to have restrictions on hp or on top speed (I think) and thus had to have injectors changed out during the DOT conversion. They then were more staid than their German counterparts. Is this the sort of thing you are angling for?

Just curious... :confuse: :confuse:
    I owned an Allroad 4.2 a year ago and I used to go to the Audi forum; there people posted their experiences of chipping the 2.7t by jumping the hp from 250 to 300. I have the 04 & 05 Passat tdi. I also see the VW Vertex forum discussions to increase the power with the installation of certain computer chip without violating the warranty. I am just curious if some kind of chip(s) available out there for the CDI to increase the performance. But honestly, the current 201 hp in E320 at 4200 rmp is good enough for me, unless the E420 CDI comes to this shore with 4matic, especially in wagon form.