Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesels

Comments

• blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Just wondering what sort of actual mileage people are getting in city driving with their CDIs?

I have only 700 miles on mine so far, so am expecting it will increase. Currently seeing about 25-35, depending on city v. highway. BUT I'm also not sure about the interval of the mileage tracker on the dash display. It looks like it keeps a running average based on the current trip?
  • rbarkleyrbarkley Member Posts: 14
    I have 38,000 on my 2005 CDI. I mostly drive highway and I am getting 32mpg averaging 70 mph. I checked the computer and that seems to be right on with my calculations when I filled up the car. I just got back from a trip to Omaha (400 miles) and made a point of filling up as soon as I got there so I could measure only highway mileage, still 32 mpg. I spoke to my MB dealer and he said he has customers that are getting 40 mpg on the highway. I' ve never come close. I even tried slowing down to 65mph and the mileage is still off the window sticker of 37mpg. I was wondering if anyone else is seeing lower mileage. I'd like to get at least the 37 highway that the window estimated. :(
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I currently have 12977 miles on my 2005 E320 CDI and have detailed fuel usage records. I have used a total of 467.87 gal with both city (Houston, Texas) & highway driving. In the city I usually get about 23 mpg and on the highway about 31 - 33 mpg. The highest highway driving at 70 mph using the cruise control was 34.3 onboard computer & 35.06 calculated (miles/gal). I have never obtained the EPA estimate of 27/37 mpg although I am an aggressive driver (quick starts & stops).
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    By now, according to different sources, it is clear enough that new Bluetec V6 with displacement of 2987 cc diesel engine is to replace the inline 3222 cc diesel, and this engine called 320 will be installed in E, ML and GL too. (Source from Edmunds, the GL will get the 3996 cc as GL4.2 CDI.) If there had been 300D in E-Class up to 98, why MB wouldn’t name the Bluetec E300 CDI? There won’t be any incentive for current E320 CDI owners who got the real thing like me to get the E320 with 3.L only engine! But, if the 3996 cc V8 comes here in E, especially in the form of wagon with 4matic, I wouldn’t mind any name MB calls it!
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    Where on earth did you buy that car for $40K?

Let me know, as I'd def. make a trip to the frozen tundra for a nicely outfitted CDI at that price!

David
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    There are a few oily drips on the garage floor under my 06 E320 CDI's exhaust pipes. Is this normal?
    The black color drops on the floor from the exhaust pipes are the result of the soot accumulated on inner pipe wall that washed off by the water splashed up on the wet surface (or by going through the carwash). You can wash the spot off with a bloom and water. But, if it is oily like black grease, I wouldn’t know what the cause is. I drove 97 300D for almost 2 years, by comparing, the CDI produces much less soot, I use a long small brush (I bend the curve coffee pot cleaning brush to straight) to brush off the soot from the ends of tail pipes now and then, it works well too on my Touareg V10 and Passat TDI. The particles trap equipped on the coming new CDI, the problem may be eliminated.
  • loyalownerloyalowner Member Posts: 8
    I have found that on the highway mine gets 32-33mpg, around town its about 27mpg. Overall, I'm getting about 29.5mpg. Don't be discouraged by not achieving the EPA 27/37 as very few drivers/vehicles achieve those numbers. I hear that the EPA will soon be revising its test (yet again) to get it more in line with real-world fuel economy. All ratings will decrease - especially those for hybrid vehicles which seem to be the most over-rated.

LoyalOwner
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    I am very interested in purchasing a 2007 E320 CDI. Do you or anyone know if they will be offering an AWD sedan or wagon with this new engine. I need AWD and I cannot find confirmation of this anywhere.

Thanks,
    A hopefull future owner
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well the new V6 E320 CDI is offered with 4Matic in Europe. This was made possible with the switch from the I6 to the V6 engine layout.

I can't see why MBUSA wouldn't offer 4Matic on the 2007 E320 CDI. The only question is when it will arrive, best guess is very late in the year like Nov/Dec to make sure that low-sulphur diesel is in place all over the U.S. The new V6 engine needs this to fuction properly.

The E320 CDI being available with 4Matic is mentioned here.

M
  • jrogers1jrogers1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new E 350 that went back after 2,000 kilometers because of major tranmission problems and now the new one is doing the same thing. Have you had any luck at an explanation? :confuse:
  • jrogers1jrogers1 Member Posts: 2
    HELP! I am on my 2nd 2006 E350 because of transmission problems. Anyone else having the same problem? :mad:
    For 06, the E350 uses the 7- speed automatic transmission, instead of the old proven 5- speed in E320 CDI, E55 and 4matic. To me, the new car technology from German seems carrying some bugs in my car buying experiences; the 02 ML55, 04 Allroad 4.2, Touareg V10 TDI etc., Those 1st year models gave me much unwanted headaches. The 06 CDI is a trouble free car with 7k miles in odometer, and so is the 1st year Highlander Hybrid 4i. Here is the E320 CDI forum, try the E-Class forum, you might get the opinions from those E350 users.
    I am getting quite noticeable exhaust soot on my rear quarter panel/bumper area on both sides. Noticed it quite markedly after a 400 mile round trip between Portland and SEattle last weekend. Mileage on highway (avg between 65-75mph) was about 33. Car is white, so it is quite evident. Prior trips have not had this effect. Car has just 1400 miles on odometer. :surprise:

Coincident with the increased sooting, I put in the MBZ trunk liner/mat. It is a very close fit. In previous cars there has been some sort of fuel exhaust via the trunk. Am wondering if the CDI does this, and if this change might possibly have any bearing on the increased black blowing out the tailpipe?

Also I have noticed the exhaust seems more evident puff of smoke, rather like the diesels of old, and not what I have noticed previously with this car.

:confuse: Any input??

Thanks a lot!
    Otherwise, LOVE THIS CAR!
    I meant to say that in previous cars I have owned, there has been a fuel tank vent of some sort via the trunk. Wondering if I have somehow closed one off in the CDI, thereby messing with the fuel delivery system and causing the car to run too rich?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    you'll definitely see soot on the rear of a white diesel car in USA unless perhaps you are running on the cleaner california fuel - or wait a few months which is when 95% of USA fuel is supposedly going to be ULSD.
    i think there's no way a trunk liner is affecting the way the car runs or how fast the rear gets sooty.
    on an x-country cruise in passat TDI, dark blue with black bumper panel, the soot-stain was a huge ellipse-like shape on the left half of the bumper. if that's visible on a blue/black car, it's sure going to be visible on a white one! be proud!
    Phew!
    (but not peeuuw! :D )
    Thanks!
    Joy
    I found it in Iowa. I wanted to find one used as I put on a lot of miles. I also found a new 2005 last Decenber going for $45,000. When the diesel prices went up I think the prices came down. Sorry for the delay in getting back as I've been out of town.
    All the diesel cars I got so far are black in color, except the silver Touareg TDI, and yes, after a long driver of the big V10 TDI, you notice a little noticeable smear spots on lower bumper near by the two exhausted pipes and the tail pipes get darker around and near the outlets, in order to keep the area clean, I spray the simple green and brush them off with water. My son drives the 04 Passat TDI to commute since the sophomore year and is graduating this May and I never saw him cleaning the bottom bumper near the tail pipes, yet, the car looks ok to me! The E CDI shouldn’t puff that kind of the smoke as you had described. Don’t start the car until the red roll wire sign goes off! I see some green smoke as I start the car in cold early morning; the green stuff disappears a few seconds later. The fuel tank vent is not in the trunk; I never smell any diesel order and I never notice any sign of smoke invasion to the trunk!
    Thanks for your input.

I do think that my CDI has produced more soot this past trip than the trip previous in January (same trip).

As I have Keyless Go, there isn't really an option to "wait" for the glowplugs- I will be asking the service people about this tomorrow. That may be an issue. Perhaps there is a subtler trick to starting the car: like maybe I have to sit in it, push the button without my foot on the brake and when the glowworm light goes out, then put my foot on brake and start. Hmmm. I'll give it a try tomorrow a.m.
  • sglausersglauser Member Posts: 4
    Curious to know what everyone else is paying. I didn't care for my buying experience at the dealer and won't take my car there for its' first scheduled service. (And don't get me started about having to pay for maintenance in this calibre of car.)

I've heard $150 at a qualified MB service center that's not dealer-affiliated.

Thanks!
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    Just p/u a 2005 w/more options than I expected -

I want to use my iPod through the head unit. I understand that this is an option in the 2005's. It's a cable that hooks your iPod to the head unit and the iPod stays in your glove compartment. My questions is whether any of you have done this yet? Is there an existing jack on the head unit/radio that you just plug the cable into? Any good sites to find this out. I've called MBUSA and get conflicting info. They also told me that all CDI's are prewired for telephone service, you just have to buy the cradle/charger. Thoughts?

Thanks,

David

ps On my trip from FL I averaged 35.5 mpg going about 75-80. Easy driving.

shades - rear & back
    Bluetooth
    Harmon Kardon w/ changer
    Dynamic seat option
    massage seats
    heat & A/C seats
    full leather
    Nav
    Sirius radio
    Keyless Go
    Sounds like a lovely set of options. Does it have the xenons also?? I was sad that they took out the side window blinds in 06.

I think that the iPod jack is in the glove box. In my car it looks like it is in the top center of the glove box. I haven't tried it yet but also heard the same thing from a salesman, thereby talking me out of ordering the $500 option. He said you could buy the cable with appropriate jack at Radio Shack, (or Apple I'm sure). I don't have the cable yet or I'd just run out and try it.

I do really wonder about the prewiring for telephone. I already had the same cell phone that MBZ sells for the car- at a premium, of course. Apparently there is some proprietary chip that MBZ puts in the phones that you cannot just switch out with your own phone (if you believe them- I never know what is real with these sorts of things). However, when I got my car from the dealer new, there were two pieces of paper with what looks like numbers for the internal transceiver that mention Motorola and a bunch of codes. Naturally, I did wonder if it was information about the integrated cellphone thing. Suspect that possibly a non-MBZ car audio person might be able to figure that out, or maybe it requires someone with the ability to read MBZ codes from some black box under the hood... [Was thinking I might look into it further one day when I have some motivation. However, as I use my cell very little, it really hasn't been worth pursuing. But it might help you!] The lists are for "Control Unit SDAR2 and for Control Unit LCT. Leads me to believe it is all there, just needs to be activated (for $1900???)

I'd be very interested to know what you find out, if anything, on your car.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Europe Cities are more congested, so the way to measure city mileage is more severe than US EPA.

I often notice a 20% difference between EPA city and Euro City mileage for the same car, so i believe the V6 has little to do with this anyway.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Modern diesels should not output any large amount of soot as described in your post

I suggest you mention this when servicing the car, and have the necessary checks made by the shop. this looks like an injection issue or a problem with the air intake.

Heavy Soot is common with unproperly maintained diesels which air filter are clogged. Pressing the gas pedal very hard is another factor.

Whith the RPF filter that is more and more polular in Europe, diesel soot should soon be past.
    Vchiu,
    Thank you for your response re: soot. I did mention the concern to the dealer when I took car in at 1500 miles to dealer. Of course, I had cleaned it by then and it wasn't obvious any longer. Dealer checked it out and said all codes etc checked out fine, so I shall watch for now.

What is the "RPF filter"? Is this an add-on, or something that the newer diesels have from the factory? Mine was built in late 2005 (model year 2006).

Thanks!
  • oldman11oldman11 Member Posts: 1
    I`m thinking about purchasing an E320 CDI, but before I make the move, I would like to know how difficult it is to change (get to) both the headlight & the taillight bulbs. I have looked at both, & neither look accessible. I know I don`t have the ability to do major repairs, but refuse to own a vehicle that requires being returned to the dealer for routine items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I have a question for all existing CDI owners. When the new low sulfur fuel becomes available next year, can our CDI run on them without any problems or degrade in performance? I assumed it would but I read somewhere that Cummins just released a new diesel engine that will run on both current and future diesels fuels and that made me wonder.
  • vl39vl39 Member Posts: 14
    The six in-line is engine has been in Europe for many years. European fuel has been low sulfer (15 ppm vs. US at 500 ppm)
    for the last four or five years. It is the same engine that is sent to the US market.
    The 2007 E320 CDI Bluetec is being announced tommorow at the NY International Auto show.
    From another MB board, some excerpts from a letter sent to dealers about the 2007 E-Class:

Interior
    MY07 FACELIFT (mid-July 2006)
    Model Year 2007 welcomes a facelift for the E-Class, and introduction of 3 new engines:
    -E320 BLUETEC: 3.0L V6 with 221hp, 376 lb-ft. torque
    -E550: 5.5L V8 with 382hp, 391 lb-ft. torque
    -E63 AMG: 6.3L V8 with 507hp, 465 lb-ft. torque
    Other key exterior product changes include:
    -a more aggressively styled front air dam
    -new front grille
    -revised head lamps and tail lamps
    -aero mirrors (similar to CLS)
    -new side skirts
    -2 new paints: Arctic White and Jade Green
    Key interior product changes include:
    -PRE-SAFE
    -new steering wheel (CLS steering wheel)
    -re-designed HVAC operating unit
    -new shift/selector lever
    -4 new upholstery colors: Black, Cashmere, Black/Sahara Beige (Sport Models only), Black/Cognac Brown (Sport Models only)
    Photos of the Facelift will be forthcoming.
    Equipment Modifications
    Value Enhancement
    The following options will become standard equipment at no-additional charge:
    -Glass Sunroof (414)
    -harman/kardon LOGIC7 Digital Surround Sound System (810)
    -6-disc CD Changer (819)
    New Packaging
    Owing to the new standard equipment listed above, we have further streamlined our packaging. Based on the successful E-Class Premium Package, launched with MY06, two "premium packages" will be offered - P1 and P2 - each of which offers significant value and includes options with proven customer demand.
    P1 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $2390 / E550: $2840 / E63 AMG: $2000
    -DVD Navigation
    -SIRIUS Satellite Radio
    -Hands-Free Communication System
    -Heated Front Seats (Active Ventilated Seats with Heating Feature for E550 and E63 AMG)
    -Power-Rear Window Sunshade (Rear Side-window sunblinds for E350 4MATIC Wagon)
    P2 - E350/E320 BLUETEC: $4290 / E550: $4740 / E63 AMG: $3900
    Includes all items in P1
    -Bi-Xenon low-beam and high-beam headlamps with active curve illumination system
    -Keyless Go
    -Heated Headlamp Washers
    Sport/Luxury Strategy
    In addition to the enhancements planned for the upcoming MY07 Facelift, we would like to announce the start of a new E-Class Sport/Luxury product strategy, similar to the successful C-Class strategy. This strategy allows you the flexibility to tailor you inventory to meet growing customer demand for more aggressive and sportier styling. The E350W, E350W4, E550W and E550W4 will adopt a 2-prong approach (Sport and Luxury) while the E320 BLUETEC and E350S4 will remain exclusively Luxury.
    The E-Class Sport Sedan will be based on the 333 Sport Package launched late last year. This package, which is no-charge for MY07 Facelift, features key "sport" elements including 18" 10-twin spoke wheels, sport rear bumper with dual exhaust tailpipes, lowered sport suspension, blue-tinted glass, Black-Birdseye Maple Wood, and matte chrome surrounding the gearshift with a white-gauged instrument cluster.
    The E-Class Luxury sedan will be similar to the current, stylish model commonly seen today. Key "luxury" features include 17" wheels (for the E350 and E550 models only), an elegant rear bumper, comfort suspension, green-tinted glass, and Burl Walnut Wood complementing the well-dressed interior.
    Exterior
    The following colors are new:
    -Arctic White (650) replaces Alabaster White (960)
    -Jade Green (300) replaces Everest Green (816)
    Wheels: For MY07, the E350 models will receive a new 7-spoke 17" design. Additionally, the E63 AMG models will receive a new 5-spoke 18" design. Please note: the E320 BLUETEC, E550 Models, and the Sport Package will retain their current wheels.
    Also new for MY07 E-Class are Chrome wheels (R86). These wheels will be based on the same 5-spoke 17" design seen on the MY06 E500, and will be available as an option on select Luxury Models only. Please see the Product Highlights section for wheel updates.
    Other
    E-Class Station Wagon:
    In our continuing efforts to streamline our portfolio and provide you with products which support your market requirements, we will offer just a single variant of the E-Class Station Wagon: E350S4. The E350S and E550S4 will no longer be offered for MY07.
    Additionally, the Power Tailgate (890) becomes standard equipment.
    I have a 2005 E320 CDI and I find it a little small for my 40,000 plus miles I drive each year. I just got off the phone with mercedes and they tell me the R class will introduce in this Oct 2007 with the new V6 deisel. Can anyone tell me if this engine and transmission has been used in Europe before? Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage I can expect. I don't like to buy a car which hasn't been in production for at least one year. Do I need to worry about a fist year production car? Does anyone have information about the R class?
    Somehow the MB reliability is still an issue to me; four MBs came to my hands since 01, the 01 E430 4matic was the only trouble free car, the 02 320 wagon 4matic got the transmission fluid leak in less than 300 miles, the 02 55 was the worse car I had ever gotten, it was bumpy and the brake noise couldn’t be fixed, now the 320 cdi with 7450 in the odometer had to be brought back to the dealer shop for the trans leak! The work done: Replace trans electrical connector, leaking 271590 bushing plug adapter/seals-auto. Trans., R & R/seal (13 pin electrical connector). I do hope this is the only problem in this car. The 3222 cc six in line CDI has been in the market for years, and it is less complicated than the smaller 2987 cc V6 Blue Tec and I just don’t see the point to be interested in the 07 model.
    Sorry to hear your having problems. My E320 CDI has over 45,000 in it and it's been a great car, just a little small. With the kind of miles I put on each year, I have to have a diesel. The R class has 127 inch wheel base and alot of space. The 4 wheel drive in Minnesota is also appealing. I was just wondering what kind if mileage the R class will get.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Real World test:

ML 320 CDI vs. Rx 400h
    The German car magazine Auto Bild has conducted a comparative test drive from New York to San Francisco with a new Mercedes-Benz ML 320 CDI diesel and a Lexus RX 400h hybrid.

Combined results for the test drive, which although it combined city and highway driving obviously emphasized the highway, had the Mercedes diesel besting the Lexus hybrid by 10% in terms of fuel consumption.

Average total consumption for the Mercedes over the 5,200-kilometer trip (3,232 miles) was 9.2 l/100km (25.6 mpg), while the Lexus came in at 10.2 l/100km (23 mpg).

ML, R, GL diesel starting in October 2006
    MBUSA plans to introduce the 45 states ML320 CDI 4MATIC, R320 4MATIC, GL320 CDI 4MATIC starting in October 2006 using the 3.0 liter OM642 DE 30 LA V6 direct injection turbodiesel with 221 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The 50 states versions with SCR and Adblue are expected in 2 to 3 years and then include California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. There should also be the E320 BLUETEC and maybe the G320 CDI, also with the OM642.
    new M-Class info page
    What press release is this from?

I'm kinda letdown by the fact that these diesels won't be 50-state legal yet. I had read somewhere else where the remaining 5 states won't get a diesel until the 2008 model year.

M
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    I agree with Dudley R. For best MPG you need to stay under 70 MPG.

It will take close to 20,000 miles before you start getting optimum MPG. Then you should match or beat the sticker. In town incourage your vehicle to go into overdirve as much as you can then you can match or beat the city figure just a little. Because of the extra torgue of a diesel enables you to do this.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It is one of the new items listed.

Mercedes diesel
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    Jim, I made a quick trip from Houston to Dallas to Edgewood, Texas and back to Houston yesterday (4/13/2006). Most of the time I was on cruise control at about 70 -72 mph. I used 16.609 gal and traveled 563 miles. 563/16.609=33.897 mpg. The onboard computer indicated 33.1 mpg. Since taking delivery of the CDI on July 9, 2004 I have used a total of 512.38 gallons and have driven 14245 miles, mostly here in Houston, Texas for an overall 27.802 mpg. I am still happy with the auto.

On the more economical side, the E debuts Mercedes new Bluetec diesel powertrain in the U.S. market. This ultra-clean diesel engine goes on sale this September in all 50 states.

Article.

M
    If the 2987 cc V6 cuts more than 200 pounds off the inline six weight and with more HP and torque and higher in EPA, oh, the 4matic for the wagon….. That will be interesting indeed!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • henryb1henryb1 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 06 e320 cdi recently purchased. the car came with nav but not sirrus radio. i would like to install sirrus but mb says it had to be done at factory and cannot be installed now. is this true or can it be done? i am not interested in aftermarket-want to keep it as original as possible.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    My local MB dealer called me on Friday to tell me that the new E CDI would not arrive until 2008. I suspect that he is just a bit overanxious to sell me one of their last 2006 models.

Needless to say, I thanked him for the information...told him that as far as I could tell, he was blowing smoke and when the new ones came in, I might drop by but don't call me....if I'm interested, I'll drop by.
    Henry,
    I'm pretty sure the dealer is correct. I ordered mine with Sirius because I knew I wanted it. Prior to ordering, I checked with a local independent auto stereo installer who told me the same thing. (It seemed that the receiver on its own is available for a LOT less than the $500 MBZ charges) I believe there is a part that has to be installed into the radio system that enables Sirius satellite to recognize the receiver. Now that I have it, I realize that the receiver "head unit" also incorporates memory functions, display readouts etc which would otherwise have to be read from an aftermarket display. Thus, it is probably impossible to after the fact incorporate all those features without planning ahead of time for it. I suppose, in time, you might be able to replace the entire head unit with one that has Sirius receiver built in, but that is a question for the dealer, and no doubt prohibitively expensive absent other problems (like,perhaps warranty issue with Nav unit, or something, and then they replace with the fully equipped unit- you pay the additional amount)
    If you call 800 for Mercedes, you will be told the info differently. To me 2008 is the year for all MB diesel models to be accepted by all 50 states, 51 if you include the place we are there.
  • andytommoandytommo Member Posts: 33
    Another point to remember, which most people forget/don't realise, is that an English gallon is larger than an American gallon.
    This means that for an identical car, its mpg will be listed higher in the UK than in the US.

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres = 0.83 UK gallons

or

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
    1 UK gallon = 4.57 litres

or a UK gallon is 20.5% larger than a US, so fuel economy figures will be 20% different.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Do not know about Serius but just had XM receiver installed in my 2005 CDI @ Best Buy for about $150. Works great. The XM receiver fits in the ashtray and you can also close the lid. Does not interfere with any other radio functions or nav.

Just BE SURE that you get an installer who knows what he is doing. This is the second E car that I have done this.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    VW is much cheaper, gets better mpg, more leg,foot room in back seat and has more dealers in the US.
    Cheaper, better mileage, but not half the ride of an MBZ. Capacious trunk space in MB also. I can drive all day in this car, but the VW has a harder ride and definitely not the comfort. However, if you are just doing short hops around town and never really get out on the road, then maybe it is immaterial to you.
    Glad you are happy with your VW. I'm still enjoying my MBZ...and probably will be ten years after your Passat has gone to its maker ;)