Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC Problems and Solutions

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the cut outs are for shipping tie down hooks.

I don't think it is noisy (actually, it is as well insulated as a Lexus). I think the noise is from the tires, which aren't very quiet. You don't here much else, so it is noticable.

Back seat recline. Tons of leg room, but not really enough head room for regular adult use. My kids fit fine though.

And, the brake light is just the middle piece of the red strip. The rest is just reflector, and is there mostly as a styling statement, to balance out the car. Non issue to me, since I sure can't see it when I'm driving!

I really want the stereo upgrades (ipod stuff and steering wheel controls). That would be nice, but too late.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    Just some comments from an owner since October and 14K miles.

Road noise - I certainly wouldn't categorize my tC as being noisy. There is no appreciable wind noise, the engine is smooth & quiet. Tires do make a big difference and if anything this could be an area of contension that is easily addressed. I've driven cars much more expensive that were noisier. At the very least, there is nothing in this class at this price that can be said to be much quieter - I drove them all.

Back seat room - I find the seats comfortable with a lot of leg room. Head room is indeed another issue, helped somewhat by the reclining seats. However, if rear seat room and people hauling is a priority, this may not be the car for you - nor would any compact coupe.

Tire pressure monitor - If indeed it only recognizes a "difference" in pressure rather than exact pressure in each tire, maybe thats enough. Try finding even that much of a system on a $35k G35.

I'm still trying to figure out how you nit-pickers are able to see your "1/3" brake light while driving enough for it to be an annoyance! Who the #$%$& cares - it lights up adequately enough to warn and comply!! I just don't get this beef.

From an owner, I can honestly say I am completely satisfied with the tC. I wanted a "sporty" commuter near $20k. At $17k I got much more than I expected - It has a compliant, yet sporty ride, good power, all of the creature comfort features necessary, great quality, getting 28 MPG. In short it does everything well - maybe not class leading in any one specific area, but overall nothing comparably equipped in its class competes at its price level.

Just remember, this is a compact coupe - not an SUV, sports car or mini-van.
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    Just remember, this is a compact coupe - not an SUV, sports car or mini-van.

Well, what if one wants a sports car? :-)

I thought the handling was really good...... Define "sports car"? ;-)

Back seat room - I find the seats comfortable with a lot of leg room. Head room is indeed another issue, helped somewhat by the reclining seats. However, if rear seat room and people hauling is a priority, this may not be the car for you - nor would any compact coupe.

I wonder if I should revisit this, and try adjusting the seat back....

It's not like I'd be hauling people that often. But, when you occasionally do haul people, do you want to punish them? "OK, here comes another bump! Duck back there!"

Seriously, the tC did seem better than a couple of other (sportier) coupes I looked into. It's either this, or maybe a sporty sedan.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    very well said. I don't even own a tC but you know I'm quite interested in them and I sure do appreciate it when someone is truly and totally satisfied with a rig I am also interested in.

I totally don't get this fascination with hating the 3rd brakelight in the midst of the illuminated red marker in back. What's up with that? I happen to like the design!

I still remember seeing a silver tC come up behind me earlier this year in Arkansas. It had this throaty sound to it like the guy had had the exhaust modified and he was revving up the engine as he approached us in the Sportage 4x4. Of course, it got my rapt attention and I just kept my eyes glued upon it as it revved up and sped ahead. What a great looking coupe! :)

This is not only a great looking car but it's a true bargain for price paid! Enjoy them and don't sweat the petty supposed problems!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

When I say "sports car" I refer to Vette, Porche, .... cars INTENDED and built specifically to stick to the road when cornering at 70 MPH and doing 0-60 in 5 or less seconds...

As much as I would like to declare that in the tC I own a true "sports car" and as much as I like the car, I will be the first to admit that it falls into the category of "sporty car" as does every other vehicle in this class.

I do not pretend that this vehicle is something that it is not or something it was not intended to be. Many people on these threads have fallen prey to that. Plenty of people have complained about the back seat and want to compare it to 4-doors and wagons (Mazda3) - my point is simply that if hauling people is a priority compact coupes are not going to work - that includes RSX, Mini.... I share your concern with the occassional times you would put people back there but in my experience the few times I have had to do that, the comments from the back seat were more in line with "I can't believe how much room there is back here!"

Well, what if one wants a sports car?

The answer to that is simple - buy a sports car (Vette, 911, ...)
    But if you want "sporty" every day transportation, buy 4 tC's instead.
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    When I say "sports car" I refer to Vette, Porche, .... cars INTENDED and built specifically to stick to the road when cornering at 70 MPH and doing 0-60 in 5 or less seconds...

I would have a wider definition of "sports car", myself. (Using your definition, you'd have to exclude way too many cars, especially of just a few years ago!) Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ever escalating horsepower; a sports car should be more than just raw power. I'm not saying that I would consider a tC a "sports car", but it seems more than an econobox, and I'm willing to entertain the thought that it might at least be a "pretty darned sporty car". ;-)

I guess part of my frustration in shopping for cars is finding something that is really sporty but yet has some compromises for the real world.

if hauling people is a priority compact coupes are not going to work - that includes RSX, Mini....

I think the tC had (barely) more headroom in the back than the RSX and a lot more legroom. I dunno, as long as you don't need to haul more than one other person most of the time, it might not be too bad for once in a while... I didn't spend much time in the Mini's backseat, but it looked pretty usable.

I share your concern with the occassional times you would put people back there but in my experience the few times I have had to do that, the comments from the back seat were more in line with "I can't believe how much room there is back here!"

Assuming I give the tC a closer look, I'll play with the seat recline and see what kind of a difference it makes. It really does seem like a lot of room, at least until my head gets less than an inch away from the glass. Legs have a lot tho.

I like the idea of a sports, er, sporty car that can actually reasonably seat 4, but still not look like a sedan.
    I couldn't agree more that the tC is a "pretty darned sporty car". For around-town fun I think it is more than adequate. I also agree with your feelings on the horsepower craze and may I add to that "crazed" list the more recent facination with 6 & 7 gears!

I've pushed this car to see what it has and without taking it to the track, it not only satisfied me, it exceded expectations - its a blast! I guess my "sport" point is more directed at those that have knocked the car for not being"sporty" enough, but the attributes they complain about are found in the types of "sports" cars I defined rather than in the $20k "sporty" class.

While somewhat priced like one, the tC is definately not an econobox - but its not a Vette either, just want to keep things in perspective. I can't argue if you wish to widen the Sports car definition I just want to keep an apples-to-apples comparison. In its class, the tC is without question the best all-around value and whatever advantages one may be able to squeeze out of the competition are ones I did not find worth the thousands of $ difference.

As for your back seat dilemma, I will be honest and admit a definite issue with the head room. With the way I intended to use this car, that wasn't a big issue for me, your needs may be different.

"I guess part of my frustration in shopping for cars is finding something that is really sporty but yet has some compromises for the real world."

With that statement, I think you defined the tC perfectly!

All I know for certain is that as long as you are the one behind the wheel, you will not regret getting a tC.
  • weav727weav727 Member Posts: 15
    I bought my tC in late September 05, and I love it. The only problem has been the roof. It sporadically creaked and cracked when I first got it, and the problem has gotten worse and worse. I tried to have it fixed, but the dealer said it was because the seals were dirty. They took it all apart and put it back together, basically, and now the problem has gotten worse. Just today it didn't want to close for me, which worries me. It is going into the dealer (different one) tomorrow for the 10000 mile service and to try to fix the roof once again.
  • willieredwilliered Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my tc in late August '04 and have been "plagued" with all the unwelcome creaks and pops from the glass roof panels/sunroof.

I have returned to the dealer 3 times and am currently waiting to be contacted by the regional Scion rep. for an appointment to meet at the dealership.

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued by Toyota to the dealers regarding the roof issues, however, my dealership elected to ignore same and attempt their own "fix," which did not work.

While the car is otherwise great, I plan to begin looking for a used G35 coupe and absorb the loss on the tc if the next attempt is not successful. Good luck.
  • jpolickejpolicke Member Posts: 1
    In one tC review, this issue was mentioned. If it's any consolation, when Car & Driver tested the Lexus convertible the same thing happened when the trunk opened up for the retracting roof. Guess it's inevitable when you tilt a wet sheet of metal.
  • jcfjcf Member Posts: 35
    Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip, and the car's flaws just keep worsening as it approaches 10K miles.

The road noise is certainly from the tires. Most of the time its nominal, but I've found rough highway pavements can really bring out the loud drone. Personally, between the road noise and the wheel scrapes, I'd have been happier without low profile tires.

After two failed sunroof repairs, the continuing rattling is now being supplemented by the headliner rattling - and the glovebox rattling noise that just developed when I actually put stuff in there. My GM engineer friend agrees that all these noises are unacceptable for a new car.

I've already had the stick shift boot cover fall apart on me when trying to clean it, and getting it back together wasn't easy. Just cheap install work.

Got the plastic rear deck liner falling apart from the edges now. New problem I'd never have predicted.

Meanwhile, the front's paint chipping, including the hood and mirrors, looks like a 3 year old car, rather than 9 months. I can't believe how soft and cheap the paint job is.

When shopping for a new car and specifically considering the Mazda 3 vs tC, I thought the tC's ergonomics of long doors, heavy hatch, annoying stereo cover, partially lit brake light, small stereo buttons, excessively bright high beam light, floppy rear deck cover, huge key, tempormental remote, uncomfortable head rest positioning, and non-emptying ash tray were the flaws I'd have to accept. I did; but I was not prepared to add quality control problems on top of that.

The car runs great and looks great, but the cumulative annoyances - in ergonomic design and manufacturing quality - are really giving me buyer's remorse. I love and respect Toyotas, but I would not buy this car again or recommend it to others!!!
  • markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    u must have a :lemon: . i have 6k on my 05 tc and it looks, runs & sounds like the day i bought it.
    I have to agree with the post after yours, you must have a lemon. I have over 15k on my tc and can only list a roof rattle that comes and goes (not there enough to be a major concern) and a broken sun roof deflector (repaired under warranty). All else is fine and suspect will be even better when I wear these tires out and get different rubber. The only chips in the paint are from my stupidity in allowing myself to get attacked by a salt truck on the E-way (About 5 chips)

It would seem to me that if the glove box didn't "rattle" when empty, the rattle must be caused by what you put into it. Secure those items and you may solve your problem.

I would contest several of the issues you raised as shortcomings of the car (chalk them off as personal preference) and wonder why with a list that long you bought the car in the first place. (Unless the "do not like" list was even longer for the 3)

I don't think Toyota's quality and reliability record needs to be defended and to defer to a GM person as to what is "acceptable" would be laughable if not so sad.

There are no doubt some "first year" issues with your car, but based on my experience and seemingly that of many others, yours (if it as horrible as you say) is an exception to the rule. That doesn't make life any easier for you and I sympathize. Just want you and others to know that not all tC's are like yours.

Can't please everyone!
    I have admitted to hearing the pops, creaks, etc. but my experience has been intermitemt and not nearly as aggravating as some others have claimed.

I do like your solution - rather than belly-ache, if you are not satisfied with the car, get rid of it and try something else! Others should heed your wisdom.

Personally, I'm not so sure I would jump into a G35 (at least save some bucks and get the Z). I've driven them and while impressed, for the price found plenty to question. But hey, it's a great car and if you don't like that one, try another. that's what is so great about having so many auto choices out there.

I am quite satisfied with the tC but will surely try something new and exciting when it comes time to change or if I ever become disatisfied. For now I have 15k trouble free, enjoyable miles and look forward to many more.

If you do make the switch, do us a favor on this site and let us know how you make out selling the tC. I would be interested to hear what the resale is.

Good luck.
    I may have a lemon, but the number of similar rattling problems being reported by others makes me conclude that there's inherent quality control problems with the car. Either your tC's put together tighter than mine, or perhaps I'm just riding on rougher roads than you.

I put the car in the shop this week for a third time on the roof. This time, the rep and mechanic took the problem more seriously. Our test drive together confirmed two loud, obvious, annoying roof noises - a popping noise from body flex, and another rattling noise from rough roads. They kept the car for 2 days, gave me a free rental, and treated me like gold. They've ordered over $1000 of replacement parts for a rebuild next week. Looks like I'm following in Stickguy's footsteps.

The headboard liner rattle will hopefully be fixed with the roof replacement.

The rear hatch plastic interior liner also has to be replaced. It simply fell apart.

The glovebox rattles, not from two books inside, but from the weight of the books causing some new tweak. Solution: keep the box empty. Comment: another little poor quality annoyance.

OK, I've complained enough and made my point - but with good cause. Remember, this is a "problems & solutions" forum, meaning criticism is to be expected. Besides, its appropriate that potential buyers be informed of all the potential problems and weaknesses with the car. It might influence their decision.
    Yup, they pretty much rebuilt my roof, as best as I can tell. Of course, it is louder now than before I had it done. No ratlles, but lots of creaks and pops.

They did fix the headliner rattle when they did the roof though.

The squeaky hatch comes and goes. Sometimes I don't hear it, other times it sounds like a '65 Chevy front suspension (one that needs new ball joints).

Other than that, nothing is falling apart or seem cheap.

The noises are really getting on my nerves though, and I don't think I have the heart to make them work on it again (since I don't think they will resolve any of the issues)

I was afraid you might say that, making me less than optimistic about my rebuilt roof results. I'm not sure how much persistence I'll have on the noise issues either. But, as long as they keep working on it for free and giving me a free rental car, I'll stick with it for awhile. Might as well take advantage of having a warranty.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    .....anyone posting gas mileage numbers. I was shocked to see a best of 20 MPG during Edmunds long term test they did on the Tc. I would think a car of this size and weight, with its aerodynamics, and only having a 2.4 liter engine would get way into the 30's on the highway. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your's?
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    that in Canadian?

My 5 speed gets about 24 around town, real short hop stuff. About 30 -32 highway, depending on speed and amount of time sitting in traffic.

• vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    5 speed tC, still running it in, (less than 1000 miles), regular gasoline, about 28 mpg city, 36 highway.

I would say that your mileage is about the same since my driving has very little time just sitting in traffic. That will reduce mileage quickly.
    Auto w/ 15k miles, 28 city, 32 highway.
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    I have had my manual trans. 05 tC sense 3/15/05 and I can't seem to get better than 27.6 mpg no matter how I drive... :cry: I calculate gas milage by taking an odometer reading after toping off then driving till I need a fill up then taking another odometer reading and divide the difference by how may gallons I filled up with... this has to be correct. I took a 2400 mile round trip from the twin cities to austin texas and back and due to the high rpms I'm guessing... I only averaged 25.8 mpg for the whole trip... I took gas milage readings every fill up and my best was 26.2... my lowest was 25.1 granted I averaged 75-85 mph the whole way. The only gripe about this car that I have is it could really binefit from a 6th overdrive gear... ;) or a total change of gear ratio... I like the sporty pick up it has but would trade some of that for better gas economy... anyone heard of new gear sets for the tC?... I know there easy to find for full size trucks but never looked for asian cars.

P.S. I have 12k miles and have not expierenced any of the body noise or roof noises that allot seem to complain about... I believe that sense its a first year car there may be quality control issues... glad i got a good one!... :P
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it's good to hear from a tC owner who doesn't have the crackly-poppy issues inside the cabin.

Also, gas mileage in your tC seems normal to me...27.5...gonna be hard to top that on an average of city/highway driving because of what you're thinking about how it's gearing mechanicals come to you from the factory, and the car's sorta-heavy-ish weight in proportion to it's dimensions.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• kmcc32kmcc32 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I purchased a limited edition tC in May of this year, and practically put every option on this vehicle. Since the day I was given the car I have had a lot of rattles and pops and shakes and whatever noise you can think of.

My car has spent almost as much time at the dealership as it has in my own possession, and like your cases, I always got my car back worse than when I brought it in.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I contacted Toyota Corporate and opened a case. They informed me that their engineers in Japan have pin pointed a variety of issues with the interior of the car and they are determining which cars out of which manufacurting plants have certain issues. They will then release a major list to dealerships for a mass fix for our tCs depending on where they were produced.

Another side note....the major rattle in my car was coming from the back hatch area, and sounded like it was coming from my roof. They did everything they could while destroying the headliner and nothing worked. Scion has found the problem and issued a TSB for the rear hatch stay. These are the hydraulic pumps that keep your hatch open and allow it to close slowly. Well I guess these "stays" are too long, so when the hatch is shut tight, the inner arm extends too far and begins to hit the tube that contains it. This creates a rattle noise on small bumpy roads and a louder clicking noise when you hit big bumps. The quick fix is to put larger rubber stoppers on the bottom of your hatch so it doesn't shut as tight, or simply close your hatch very softly just until you hear the first click.

I do the soft close and I instantly have no more noises coming from the back end, until I hit a huge bump, but that's rare. It's a lot better than before. I can now enjoy riding in my car as before I was ready to simply steer into on coming traffic.

I hope this helps some of you with your noises, and don't worry Scion will provide the fixes in the near future.
    Thanks for the insight kmcc32. Very interesting.

Maybe the hatch noise can be fixed, and hopefully my new left dash noise can be fixed. But, I wonder how Toyota is going to fix the roof noise problems, even if the lemon cars are identified.

My car's in the shop now for the third time on this roof issue. After 4 days and $1000+ total rebuild, they advised me that they still haven't fixed the problem. To the dealer's credit, they're still trying, but I'm wondering if a complete fix is even possible.
  • tahlequahtahlequah Member Posts: 54
    I've been looking through the archives and I'm coming up empty handed on this issue so, let me post my issue here:

About 2 months after I bought my tC (july 04) I began to notice small "spots" on the outer lip of the driver's seat. They looked like something had been spilled on the seat. The only thing that had come in contact with the seat was rainwater. So, of course I thought, "Gosh, acid rain is really getting serious these days."

As time went by the stains became more pronounced. When I took it in for an oil change in january I mentioned the stains to my sales rep (he's in the same building as service). He told me to mention it to my service guy at the next oil change.

Next oil change I mention it and the service guy says, yeah we should mention that to your sales rep and see what he can do.

I call my sales rep (HIS voice mail) who tells me (MY voice mail) that I should bring it in for the service guy to look at. Are you with me so far? Beginning to sound like the "Mom said to ask Dad" run-around, doesn't it?

Finally, when I take it in for it's 1 year maintenance I got the service guy to really look at it, only to tell me I needed to see the service "manager".

So, today I went to see the service "manager". The guy never came around while I was in the bay. So, like a dummy, I toodle off to keep from being bored. In the meantime, this service "manager" takes the car to the back for the techs and himself to look at. They brought it back to me saying it looked like "suntan lotion", it's not covered under warrantee, and they suggested I buy some Toyota fabric cleaners.

Now, before my service guy even knew his "manager" was going to be less-than-nice about this, he told me an xB had just had it's seat replaced because of the same thing. So, when he came back with this verdict on my seat (which has never had anything more than rainwater on it - certainly not suntan lotion!) I went immediately to my sales rep. He confirmed the xB seat and also confirmed another tC that not only had stains but also with the seat upholstery coming apart. He basically rolled his eyes and said the "service manager" wasn't going to listen to him, either (apparently a common problem). So, now I have to mount a campaign to corporate about this.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of others who have? If you have, do you know what came of it?
    I too have the same problem with my seats... I am pretty sure what it is because I work at a very reputable adhesive and plastics development company in Minnesota M M... hint hint... any way I also owned and operated my own carpet cleaning "Chem Dry" franchise for a few years. If I had to go to court and testify I would swear it is some kind of volitial component of the seat cushion material or the adhesive used to keep the fabric stuck to the cushion material that has wicked into the seat fabric and it holds dirt, skin flecks, dust,etc... like glue. The only other explanation that I would find valid is that if some kind of silicon based fabric protector was use you might also see the same effect. BUT... due to the splotchy appearance I would go with my first explanation if I were going to start a formal investigation. This is a real problem for Toyota if this becomes a case... Acrylates and polystyrenes that are used in adhesives and foam padding are strong sensitizers. Meaning alomost anyone will become alergic to them given enough exposure. Symtoms are irritated skin at the low end and up to sever swelling in extreem cases... If you find anything out or if your dealer fixes the problem let me know.
  • queenvicqueenvic Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was the only one with this problem! Actually, I didn't know if it was really a problem, or just my compulsive obsession with my new car. Never even thought to bring this to the dealer's attention, unlike the rattles I have had fixed (or rather, tried to have fixed). I too would love to know if there is anything they can do to fix the problem!
    And to the first person to post this problem, I have not had suntan lotion anywhere near my seats! On my face, yes. But in contact with the edge of a seat near my arm, no!
  • jerchajercha Member Posts: 4
    How did you get the carbon fiber look on your dashboard? I don't remember seeing that on the scion website.
  • smiraclesmiracle Member Posts: 1
    I have the same stains, I've been thinking about getting it shampoo'd, of course, testing an inconspicuous area first.
    Not sure if it is the same thing I see on my front seat bolster. I thought it was just getting shiny from sliding in/out.

My roof was also creaking/popping very loudly today (the roof was closed with AC on). Really startled me, since it was much louder than normal. My wife even noticed it, and she is usually totally oblivious to noises the car makes.

I did have the roof rebuilt, and am now of the opinion that short of an entirely new design that can be retrofitted, the dealer is not going to be able to resolve this issue. Maybe some cars are just more susceptible to problems (toeerence differences or something).

The hatch squeaks on and off, but I just ignore that now.

I have some thoughts about exploring the fine resale values in the fall to see what I can get into that will be more satisfying (not just for these annoyances, but for convenience and confort, 2 things the tC lacks a bit for me).

No mechanincal problems at all, just dumb stuff that makes owning the car either annoying or frustrating, depending on my mood.

• scottimusprimescottimusprime Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone here know if some of these rattles, seat spots, and other issues are still present on the 2006 models? I am very close to ordering a new '06 tC but I want to make sure that I'm going to be happy with the vehicle. (For the record, I am also looking at possibly getting an '06 Accord coupe when it comes out in a few weeks... I need to make a decision soon).
  • jesusfreakjesusfreak Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2006 tc for 250 miles. So far, I have not experienced any creaking or popping noises from the roof or the hatch. I have been looking out for these noises since they have been such issues with tc owners. This almost prevented me from buying my car but my sales rep said that the 2006 models should have these problems under control, including the cd/radio cover (it opens and closes fine). So far, so good. Something else that I considered was the info prior tc owners provided on any mechanical or engine problems. I've read a lot of tc forums and I can't recall much on engine trouble. Will keep my eye out for seat spots as that seems to be a new issue that's come up. I am very happy with the car and the few other tc owners in El Paso that I have seen say the same thing about their car. Good luck on your decision and your final buy.
  • tahlequahtahlequah Member Posts: 54
    Update on the seat spotting: I met with a regional rep from Scion today. They have agreed to replace the seat upholstery, not the whole seat. That, of course, is just fine since it's not the whole seat that's compromised. The rep said she has seen no other spots like this nor has she heard of any spotting from other dealers. When I asked how that could be since my service AND sales guys both mentioned replacing an xB seat recently, she said dealers will sometimes replace damaged goods on their own without Scion knowing.

She did, however, tell me that several seat covers have been replaced because of wear, specifically, wearing thin. She also related to me that, according to the six techs she works with out of Cincinnati, that there is nothing in the seats that can seep. Apparently it is as simple as cloth over foam - which of course makes the mystery that much deeper.

All in all, she was very gracious and accommodating and I am happy with the results. I will keep an eye on the new cover in case this happens again. If it does, I suppose Scion will dig deeper into the cause but, for now, nobody knows what happened. And after talking with her today I'd be willing to bet two possibilities: 1. they left the window during a rain storm before I ever got it or 2. The dealer spilled something on the seat when they were detailing it before I picked it up. And considering they scratched (and replaced) the dash plate getting the stereo installed, I'd put my money on the latter.

Hope this info helps everyone.
    that reminds me. I had the tC in yesterday (needed an oil change), so I mentioned my recurring problems. I tossed on the seat stains, but I think they forgot to look at them, and I forgot to ask when I picked it up.

to recap, the roof was creaking/popping bad, so they did the TSB again (they did they when it first came out, then later replaced the assemply). Seemed a little beter, but I need to drive some more. My guess, if it didn't work the first 2 times, it won't work now. Either I live with it or trade it in. Hmm., wonder if I could do a lemon law on this??

They are also replacing the hatch struts again (for the rear queaking noise). Maybe the supposed new parts will work beter.

They still can't hear the rattle noise underneath. I need to get the tech out there when I go back for the new struts.

I think I just got a particularly flexible unit. Teach me a lesson for getting one of the first ones in the country.

• butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Please keep us posted as to any problems you have and what your real world numbers are as far as gas mileage is.
  • erichs48erichs48 Member Posts: 1
    hi all-

I've had my tC since the end of March, and an extremely annoying rattle has been in the right rear since a few weeks after I got it. On two separate occasions the dealer has replaced the stut mount, strut, spring, etc,etc, and no luck. These fixes solve the problem for about two hours, and the the rattle comes back.

I read upthread that someone has trouble with rattling hatch stays - could I have the same problem?

Luckily I don't have problems with the sunroof...jsut a little creaking occassionally.
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    My rattling was due to the cargo cover not being secured totally. Once I re-snapped it in on the sides and around the head-rests, the rattling from the back stopped. You can drive around for a while with the cargo cover off and see if it still rattles.
  • atticdogatticdog Member Posts: 9
    I also have spotting on the outer edge of the drivers seat that i figured was from the rain. I have never looked at it closely tho.
    A toyota rep is coming to look at my car for extreme sunroof rattling and hatch noises maybe i should also mention the seat spotting
  • coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    Hey all. Here is my 2cents. I sold my mini cooper to get a TC. HUGE MISTAKE. After getting my TC. On the way home I noticed the rattles from the hatch. I took it back and they gave me the run around then I came home and read this forum. Now I know to read here first.
    The dealer ordered new hatch stays for me and said that was the problem. they had not yet been changed though. Then their was a new noise coming from the passanger door. a tinny rattle. Then there was a noise coming from the Dash after I changed the factory radio. The steel looking plastic "Creeked". Then the straw that broke the camels back was the very "Bell Like" rattle I got 3 days ago from the Moonroof area. Sounded like a nickel was floating around in the metal track.. These are way to many "Noises" and After reading horror stories in here I decided enough was enough. I also noticed my seats cloth was coming apart around the seat lever on the sides. Not too mention my hatch cover kept falling off the tops of the seats. This car LOOKS so damn good, I added acessories and the lip spoiler and a clarion Touch panel Din sized Head Unit (Which made the factory speakers sound SO MUCH BETTER!
    But after the last noise I said "NO More". I took it to honda yesterday and traded it in not telling them a word about any of my issues. I should have stayed with Honda after my MINI anyway.. MY ADVISE> Get rid of it now while they are still trading hi . They gave me $15,600 for my trade it only had 1800 miles on it . I am so happy not having to worry about "What if They cannot fix these sounds like some of the others on the forum".. Good luck all.. Hope I did not ruin your day..

P.S. Take off the silver panel and notice how cheap this car is made. I am sorry but it is. It took me 3 minutes to remove the radio.. it was a joke. I used to install them professionally and I have seen many, many dashes in my day. The whole center counsel just snaps off and scratches so darn easy it is crazy. My brand new $500 clarion will be on ebay this week with the scion wiring still attached and the dash kit too. For about $275.00. I will even post a pic of it in the scion lit up. FYI.. It looked amazing in the TC and sounded superb.. After I changed it I did not even want the subwoofer anymore as it made such a difference adding the powerfull head unit.. Sorry about the Ebay plug but, It would make any of you who are keeping your car happy and it is EXTREMELY Easy to install. 4 screws.
    take care and goodluck...
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    One day there was a small "spot" on door. Actually thought it might be a dead bug. Next day there is a almost perfect circle ding! Can anyone offer a possible reason fro the delayed action ding? Also are there proteective side moldings available ????
  • jdwyerjdwyer Member Posts: 2
    So I was driving my '06 tC and I started hearing a vibration from the right front Tire. I made an appointment with the dealer and on the way in to the dealer, I was in stop and go traffic. I discovered a new sound. When I put the clutch in, i felt/heard a deep clunking noise. Which is awesome. Took it in, they gave me a rental, free of charge. 3 days later the car's fixed, free of charge. Told me that it was the "sway bar links". Apparently, somehow the sway bar was coming loose and banging around the undercarriage....Which just sounds sweet...Now, a couple of days later, I am driving home and I turn on the windshield wipers and the long wiper swings all the way off of the car and on to the (I think it's called) "A-pillar" and scratches the paint. Now I have to take the damn thing back to the dealer on Wednesday. All I have to say is that this had better be the last time I have to take this car to get it repaired. I mean, seriously, I bought it a month ago and I am just now making my first payment and I am taking the car in for the second time. It has 1,700 miles on it. I've been getting great gas mileage, no rattling from the hatch or sunroof, and no weird stains on the uphostelry (knock on wood). I don't know, maybe I should have gotten an '06 Eclipse, but I am gonna try to stick it out. I really like my car...except for the odd problems.

JD
    '06 Scion tC with TRD Exhaust, Lowering Springs, Shocks/Struts, Spoiler, OBX Leather Shifter, OBX Sport Pedals, and Stock Radio (will upgrade soon)
    For those of you with the continuing roof noise, and those of you smart enough to read about these things before buying ...Its been a month now since the dealer worked on my roof. The first TSB fix didn't help the rough road rattle or frame flex pop at all. The second TSB fix (from a different dealer) helped the rattle only for a couple days. On my third visit, the dealership got aggressive, keeping the car for 8 days and spending $1800 to replace the entire structure. I noticed right from the beginning that it looked a little different, particularly with new rubber gaskets the original unit didn't have. I wanted to wait a month before commenting on the dealer's success here. Conclusions? The constant rattle and headboard liner buffeting was fixed, but the frame flex popping noise was not fixed. I don't expect it to ever be quiet or sound. I may give up on it and accept it - unless the rattle returns

Meanwhile, I'm being more annoyed by new noises. There's a tinny, buzzy sound emanating from the lower left dash area. I looked behind the removable breaker cover but couldn't draw any conclusions. Any ideas? There's also a very strange noise coming from the lower center console area. Sounds just like a coin sliding back and forth (for a long distance) when I accelerate or brake - but there's nothing in there to be found! I cannot even guess what or where it is. Anyone else have this problem?

I got some small retribution and satisfaction last week when I had a stranger come up to me in a parking lot last week, asking me how I liked my tC. When I told him I certainly wouldn't buy one again or recommend it to anyone, he asked why. I said the car is plagued with pops, rattles and noises. May the 06's be better, but don't count on it until some reports come out.
  • chablis3chablis3 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2006 Scion XA August 8 and began having problems with the car the second day. The shifter locks up and the car will not go from park to drive. The over-ride button must be used to move the shifter. While sporadic, this has been a huge inconvenience. Granted it does not happen every time you hop in the car and plan to go somewhere but even every other day has been a huge inconvenience. Toyota replaced the shifter assembly but this did not fix the problem. The car drives great and handles well but carrying a screw driver in the glove blox to access the over-ride button at any given time is somewhat akin to driving a car that came in the cracker jax popcorn box! My next step is filing the lemon law but Toyota has promised to look into this further. It would be great to find a kindred Scion owner who has had a similar problem and has advice. Gas mileage is great -- about 31 around town.
  • coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    I have been telling people the same exact thing. It looks great, but I traded mine in after only 2 months.. it was plagued with noises and what I would call poor assembly issues.. good luck man.
  • binierisbinieris Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2006 tC for 3 weeks now and I love it so far. Its probably not a big deal but there's an awkward sound that's just bothering me and I want to know if anybody else hears this. Every time I put my car into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears and accelerate, I hear a noise coming from the engine/outside. It sounds like a chirping noise or almost like a bug. When I let off the gas and hit it again, the noise occurs for about a second. My uncle said it's probably the air intake. Like I said, it's probably not a big deal, but if anybody knows what I'm talking about, please respond, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
    The chirping sounds like belt slipage... not sure but when I hear chirping the first thing to check are all the belts... :shades: let me know if this was the problem
  • binierisbinieris Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I thought it was the belts at first too, but they're on really tight. I don't think the squeak noise is a big deal, maybe it's cuz of the break in period? I'll start worrying if the noise is still there when the car's really broken in. Thanks for your advice though.
  • ib2loudib2loud Member Posts: 1
    I just hit 10k on my car, the front bumper has around 50 rock chips last time i counted (about a month ago), some of them are very large and I expect it to start peeling soon. Also it has tons of rattles inside, and the sunroof pops when I go up my angled driveway (they *said* they fixed it last time at service), but it still does it every time. The gas mileage hasn't been too great (avg around 24mpg), and the power this car puts out isn't all that great compared to the gas mileage. My 2001 saturn with 122k miles seemed to run better and got over 32mpg on average. When I turn my steering wheel sometimes I hear a loud squeak or creek coming from the front right strut, they didn't know what it was when I asked at service. The interior plastic pieces seem to scratch if you even look at them wrong.

These are just the problems I can think of now. I have to admit the car does look very slick and gets a lot of attention, but for the price I paid compared to my old Saturn, I was expecting a LOT more.
This discussion has been closed.