Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Lexus ES 330

lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Any news on 2005 lexus ES? Because the camry has been face-lifted, I would expect the ES to get some minor changes (front and back lights, dash, equipement?) I also heard there perhaps wouldn't be any face-lift because the ES would be redesigned before the camry, for the 2006 model in late 2005 instead of late 2006 for the camry. Lexus said they didn't want their products to look like toyotas anymore, especially for the ES. I think it's a good idea.

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The 2005 Windom (the ES 330 in Japan) is up on Toyota's Japanese website. It clearly shows the changes coming to the ES (due to arrive at dealers in late August). Some quick observations:

1. Headlights are now projector beams.
    2. More chrome on the grille.
    3. Round foglights.
    4. Different air intake in lower front bumper.
    5. Thin chrome strip above rear license plate.
    6. Redesigned taillights (which may be LED, it's hard to tell).
    7. Lighter wood with the ivory interior.
    8. Steering wheel radio controls.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/exterio- - r/index.html

In the U.S. 17" wheels will be optional. However, my dealer said that of the first 1,000 cars coming in to the Midwest 85% will have the 17"ers.

As for colors, Classic Silver is replacing Millenium Silver, there is a new gold replacing the existing gold, Mystic Sea is replaced by a different green and Starlight Pearl is dropped.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    thank you, lenscap.
  • wjlwjl Member Posts: 11
    I spoke with a number of dealers, and for the most part they are saying the 2005 ES330 should start showing up at the dealerships around mid to late August. A couple of dealers are still saying Oct, but the consensus seems to say earlier then Oct. Also heard rumor that there may be an option for A/C seats.... but only one dealer speculated that. In general, not much information.
    The 2005 ES 330s will in fact arrive in dealers around mid-late August as you said. I saw the delivery sheet at my dealer that showed when they will arrive. Whatever dealers are saying October are wrong.
    I agree. The one dealer that stated the Oct delivery date, that I spoke with was really pushing the 2004s, which was why I think he stated the Oct delivery date. That was very odd, because all the other dealers in the Northern VA area stated, that their inventory of 2004 ES330s are way down....
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Any news on improvement for base audio. Or it's still ML vs. basic? Overall this 05 one is still shaped like the existing one: not ready to break away from big T just yet.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    igiban,

The current ES is not supposed to be reskinned until the 2007 model year.
  • lockielockie Member Posts: 8
    I was at my dealer a week ago and I was shown a comparison sheet between the 04 and 05. I should have paid more attention. The only thing I remember about the sound was there would be controls on the steering wheel and I think it said Navi wouldn't be available with ML. If my memory is correct that would imply that there will different head units, but probably similar guts. In the 04 I only saw ML with the Navi so didn't realize you could even get it stand alone.

It did also state heated and cooled seats. It didn't say they were air-conditioned I assumed it was a fan through perferlated leather ala Saab 9-5.

I was told they would have a 05 on the lot in 4 weeks.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    What do you mean by projector beams? What were they before?
    I believe the current ES has reflector lens headlights. And it looks like the '05 may add the pivoting headlight feature now found on the RX330 and LS430.
    So what are the differences between reflector and projector?
    "Navi wouldn't be available with ML"?

One OR the other? I doubt it. 03 was all or none. 04 added Nav w/o ML, but no ML w/o Nav. 05 becomes one against the other? Can't be. I am hoping they can have ML as stand along option w/o being coupled with Nav, or just make ML standard. At least they need to upgrade their base audio, which is a shame to a very fine luxurious automobile, tranny whatever notwithstanding.
    I don't believe there's any difference between a reflector headlight and a projector beam headlight other than the way it looks. They may put out slightly different light patterns, but I am not sure about that.

To see the difference in style look at the headlight on a 2003 LS 430 (reflector style) and a 2004 LS 430 (projector beam) and you'll see the difference.

Also, projector beam headlights (which are a style) are not to be confused with HID (a light type). You can have projector beams with and without HID.
    Multireflector headlights basically reflect the light off a mirror-like surface. You can see these types of lights on the majority of cars out there, like Accords.

A projector light basically has a lense in front of the bulb to disperse the light onto the road.
    Just spoke with Pohanka in Northern VA, and it looks like the first shipment of 2005 ES330s are due in either at the end of this week, or by Monday of next week.
    So projector lights look like the HID lights, just without the actual HID?
    All HID lights don't use projectors. FOr example, the previous generation LS400 and GS300/GS430 have reflector lens HIDs.
    It appears to me that projector lights look similar to HID lights, except HID lights have a more "clouded" look
    boomsama,

For a example of the multi-reflector type headlamps take a look at the low-beam headlight assemblies of the Honda Accord and then look at the low-beam headlights of a Audi, or a new MB E-class. The projectors you will see basically look like "eyes" within the headlight housings.
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    this is a bit off topic wjl, but when you were at Pohanka, did you happen to see whether the '05 IS was also due in at the dealership?

Thanks much
    Sorry, I wasn't at the dealership, just spoke with the sales rep. When asked a week or two ago, I was told that the "cars" were coming in August and the SUVs were coming in the fall. I called again this week, and was told the specifics about the ES330. If I get a chance, I might take a drive out there on Sunday to take a look around.
  • branminbranmin Member Posts: 6
    Slightly OT and not sure if this is the right forum but appreciate your replies. Been looking at the LS430 and ES330(2004) and made up my mind that couldn't justify the huge difference in price between the two, even though the LS430 is quite substantial.
    Anyway..keeping in mind what you have been saying about the 2005 about to hit the showrooms(and whether I should wait) and the Salesman has virtually told me that he wants to make this sale by the end of this month..here is what he is offering. He has a Gold coloured 2004 ES330.(which comes with the following)
    MSRP----- 31725.00
    Heated front seats.........440.00
    HID 640.00
    Power Rear Shade 210.00
    Nav system package with
    in-dash CD player and
    6 Disc CD player 2220.00
    Wood/leather Steering
    wheel and shift nob 330.00
    Cargo net 59.00
    Trunk Mat 69.00
    Wheel Locks 66.00
                            $35759.00
    Delivery fee 625.00
    Total $36384.00

The salesman then tells me that this particular car comes with Exotic Wood trim which adds another $895.00 for a total $37279.00.(can't seem to find this package announced anywhere, even on Lexus's website, thought it came with this wood??) Provided that I take the car by the end of this month he will deduct $2000.00 and give me $1000.00 for my 92 Lincoln(which is all it's worth, unless I sell privately for perhaps $500,00 to 1K more)

So we now come to $34279.00
    Fees and Service
    Inspection, cleaning etc
    (BS or normal?) 499.50
    Waste tire and lead acid 8.50
    Sales Tax(6% in Florida) 2087.22
    Tag and Title 150.00

Grand Total $37024.22

So..is this a good deal?(keeping in mind that Naples FL. appears to get much higher prices than elsewhere)...I thought around $35,000 might be nearer, or am I wrong........or should I just wait for the 2005 version?
    Sorry for the long post......Bran.
    branmin,

First off, the wood trim is not a factory installed option. It is a dealer installed option that is not even supplied by Lexus. This wood trim kit generally costs the dealer about $300 to $400 installed and it is merely attached around the radio/climate control area and maybe on the doors around the window switches with double sided tape.

The total invoice of the above car is about $32K + the dealer installed wood. At $35,279 they would be making about a $3K profit. Seems high for a ES to begin with and higher when you consider the 2004 model year is winding down.

Also, the $499 cleaning/inspection fee is pure dealer B.S. Basically they are just padding their wallets with that fee. Their is already a PDI amount included in the invoice(PDI stands for Preperation Delivery Inspection which covers cleaning and preparing the vehicle for delivery).

In the end, I think you should be getting a '04 for close to invoice.
    Thx very much for the speedy reply. Have you taken into consideration(as mentioned) the $2000.00 they are deducting(plus the $1000.00 trade in) and the Sales tax one would have to pay? That is why I thought the figure of $35.000 was more resonable. However, I totally agree with the BS regarding the Wood and the extra $499.00 inspection fee.
    Bran.
    branmin,

You should only count the $2K they are discounting the car. The $1K they are giving you for your trade-in is not a discount, since they are going to turn around and sell your car for more than $1K, hence they are still making $3K.

You have to remember alot of people are getting this car at or near invoice, which means you should still be able to save about $2-3K, especially at model year end.
    maxhonda99 beat me to the punch, but I agree with everything he said. The car should be bought for a little above invoice, especially because the 2005s are due to arrive within the next few days. Not only will the 2005s have cosmetic changes that will instantly make your car a bit outdated, but the resale on your car will also drop significantly since if you buy the 2004 your car in a few days will be one year old by industry terms.

Two other notes to expand upon what maxhonda99 said:

1. The cleaning fee is a total farce. Refuse to pay this.

2. I would highly recommend you DO NOT get the extra wood trim. The money you will spend on it is a complete waste. The car already has enough wood trim inside...adding more will make the car look pimpish (in my opinion). Further, I have heard from others that over time the aftermarket wood "stickers" (which is all they are) start to fade and discolor.

If you are concerned about getting a good deal you should not be wasting $1,400 on the above two items.

Hope this helps.
    Thx guys..will keep this in mind. Tested one today and couldn't understand why I felt every bump in the road (unlike my town car which is still so smooth). I then tested the tyre pressures and they had between 37-39 PSI in them. Is this correct? Shouldn't they be about 29PSI?
    branmin,

The PSI should be about 29PSI.

But also remember the ES will not ride as smooth as the Town Car anyway. The Town Car is bigger and more softly sprung. Also, the Town Car is RWD so it has a more even weight distribution front to back, which helps smooth the ride.
    In your opinion which is the smoothest ride out there for a near luxury car? Wife broke her ribs few months and tends to feel every bump.
    The softest ride is probably a Town Car, but that doesn't mean it's not a upsetting ride. I always get kinda sea-sick sitting in one because it is soo freakin' soft it bobs up and down over dips in the roadway.

As far as FWD cars, you aren't going to get a much smoother/softer ride than in a ES330, except for maybe a Buick or Impala.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Um, what?

~alpha
    I actually liked the ES330, thought it a great car for the money, but the wife admitted to me that she found the seats uncomfortable and actually fely sick in the car?? Could be with all the varnished wood, but if she don't like, I don't get. Did test the LS430 and boy was that smooth, just thought it a little pricey.
    Totally OT, but personally can't wait to test the new Corvette 2005 out.
    The 2005 ES 330s are in. I saw two at my dealership this weekend. One feature they added I really like is that when you get the heated seats it now comes with cooled seats as well. The leather is perforated (to allow for the fans blowing air through the leather) and the heated seats button has been replaced with a round dial (heat by turning it one way, cool air by turning it the other).
    The dealership that that I spoke to last week, and thought they would be in (Northern VA) this week, didn't get their shipment : - ( The estimate is within a week or two. Are they showing up anywhere else in the country? Lenscap, how is the pricing? My understanding that the MSRP went up between $200 and $300 dollars.
    Couple of questions:

How do you get sick from varnished wood?

Did you not figure out she didn't like the car before you got prices on the car?

How can she feel sickey in the ES and not in the Town Car?
    I didn't look closely at the sticker price, but if I recall the price either didn't go up at all or only went up a few hundred dollars as you said.

Some notes:

1. Both cars I saw had the 17" wheels, which have a six-spoke design very similar to both the 17" LS 430 wheel and 17" RX 330 wheel. The 17" option was $80. There was a sticker next to the window sticker indicating the 17" tires will possibly experience a tread life of less than 20,000 miles.

2. One car was silver, and they have changed the shade. It has less green in it than the current silver. The other car was the new gold, which is more taupe-like than before.

3. The black plastic on the dashboard (where the radio/climate buttons are) is lighter in color than before...more like a dark gray instead of black.

4. There are now memory buttons for the passenger seat (on the passenger door).
  • bdhplayerbdhplayer Member Posts: 14
    Living in Phoenix, cooled seats are a greeat option. Saw the 2005 ES330 at a local dealership today. So they are definitely in stock.

Just don't have a handle on the price to pay for a 2005.
  • philly2philly2 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone seen a 2005 ES330 show up in a dealership in the Philadelphia area?
  • vanboyvanboy Member Posts: 6
    If you want to see it online....goto www.lexus.ca They've got the 2005 model that you can now compare to the 2004 model.
  • carscarscarscars Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard of any real improvements to the AT for 2005? (other than their "software reprogramming" that appears to be a poor fix) I have a 98 ES300 whose transmission is fine but I have personally experienced the annoying "lag/hesitation" when I recently drove a 2004 loaner car from Prestige Lexus in Ramsey, NJ. I plan to replace my car soon and unless they fix it for the 2005 model, I am (reluctantly) switching to an Acura TL.
    The Lexus site now has the updated prices on their web page: www.lexus.com Looks like a $250 increase in MSRP. But it also looks like it may have some additional features are included in the price.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I am a BIG fan of every change thats been made to this model, especially the circular fog lamps and much more attractive taillights.

A very nicely executed mid cycle refresh,IMO.

~alpha
  • about2buyabout2buy Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone explain why the 2005ES that comes equipped with 17" wheels would carry a disclaimer that tires could wear out in less than 20,000 miles? What would cause that sort of wear in a 17" tire/wheel as opposed to the 16" tire/wheel combination?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    make the car look nicer, IMO.
    The 17" wheel tires will wear out faster than the 16" wheel tires because the 17" are lower profile (meaning less rubber exists between the edge of the rim and the edge of the tire itself). Typically the larger the rim size, the lower profile the tire and the faster they wear out (although this is not always true).

The overall diameter on both the 16" and 17" wheel/tire combos is the same (done so they can be interchanged without affecting speed and odometer calibrations). It's just the 17" combo tire is 1" "thinner" to keep the overall size the same as the 16".
  • jazzjitjazzjit Member Posts: 14
    Now that the new 2005 ES 330s are out in the dealerships, when do you guys recommend buying this car as far as getting some type of deal below MSRP?
    You should be able to get a '05 ES330 under MSRP now. I can't imagine anyone paying MSRP for a ES330.
  • jazzjitjazzjit Member Posts: 14
    I agree with you on that, but Edmunds has rated the TMV of this car to be the MSRP. So I do not know what to make of this.
    Other than looking more sporty, what's the benefits of a 17" wheel that can justify its shorter life than a 16" one?
This discussion has been closed.