Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RDX

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats on your new RDX!!

I hope you'll drop by our Dealer Ratings & Reviews page to write up your experiences with both dealers.
  • glassblower1glassblower1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all. I've got 3 drivers and 2 cars. Need some new wheels. I've driven the RDX, Outback XLT, Audi A-4 quattro, and BMW X-3. The outback is nice and quick but I can't get over the image thing. The Audi and BMW are also nice but am concerned about long term reliability. I really liked the RDX (currently own a TSX) but wonder if the stiff ride and on or off turbo personality will get old. Any comments? Thanks! :confuse:
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    The turbo is barely noticeable as long as you don't floor the gas pedal at low speeds.

The sporty ride isn't for everyone. If you're looking for something more cushy, try the Lexus RX.
    The Lexus RX is nice and cushy but not sporty enough. Guess I'm searching for the perfect car: sporty, reliable, drivable in occasional snow, etc. etc. etc. Not sure such a vehicle exists but I want to find one that comes close.
    Thanks for your input.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    But if you need a truly FUNCTIONAL AWD system the RX is not it, not even close. Certainly not in comparison to the RDX's SH-AWD system.
    Sounds to me that the RDX is perfect for you. You can also look at the Infinitis, but those will have less cargo space.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I agree the RX system is reactive and not very good at reacting either. The RDX system is proactive at least to some extent.
    I am leaning more and more toward the RDX. The Infinitis are nice also but I don't care for the styling. Also, I have had a great experience with the local Acura dealer with my TSX.
  • h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    I've had the opportunity drive the '08 over some of Houston's rough streets. I'm originally from the Midwest, which has some rough streets and the Houston streets that I drove on seemed to be quite bad in comparison. Still, I found the ride of the RDX to be quite comfortable. For the life of me, I really can't understand why people seem to complain so much about the RDX ride. It's quite nice IMHO.
  • stathisstathis Member Posts: 32
    People who complain about the RDX ride, usually compare against slow, unsporty cars, with "comfy" suspensions.
    The RDX has a sportier suspension. I too think it rides fine the way it is. But in addition, it handles really well.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    So the wife and I went out yesterday to test drive the RDX one last time before leasing or buying it. We had a last quote of $1000 over invoice inclusive of CT's $199 doc fee, and were confident that we could trim some more off the price in future discussions.

Well, after the test drive (2nd time), the wife stated she no longer liked the vehicle. :confuse: Her comments are mainly subjective, but honestly who's are not in purchases such as these. She is of the opinion that the RDX is confused (I've heard this comment about Acura in general and are purchase is getting more confusing by the day). From her perspective spending the additional dollars between the RDX and CRV (another of the vehicles she likes) is something she just can not do. Even with the tech extras and more powerful engine, they do not separate the two enough in her mind. We also test drove a BMW X3, which we both agree handles better than an RDX. In her words, the RDX is jumpy and hyper as opposed to feeling glued to the road. She had other comments along these lines as well.

We then headed over to Audi (she currently drives an A4), VW, for a Toureg2 and Passat, and then test drove an Acura MDX (this has potential).

So after a fun day :sick: , she's still undecided, her criteria is simply :P , fun to drive and room for a new family addition (i.e. storage for baby stuff).

Cars now under consideration; MDX, RX350, CRV, and a player yet to be named.

UGH, I don't think I'm going to make it!
    Yes, if the new nicer looking CR-V had the SH-AWD system I might consider a trade myself.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting...you list a sporty SUV, a near-luxury SUV, and a mainstream compact SUV.

You gotta narrow it down a little. :P
    Yeah I know...I know. But it's her car so she weighs the pros and cons of each. Her ideal vehicle (from what she's described) is a small SUV with high reliability, safety, AWD, and drives like a german sedan.

She (we) also weigh value overall. For example is an RDX leases out similar to say an MDX or Lexus RX, then we'd opt for the vehicle in the class above. Thus far with just fees down these cars are all within $50 per month, The quote we received on an RX at invoice leases out at $587.XX per month, 36M, 12K miles, (CT taxes included, with the dealer marking up the money factor slightly). She's confirming a RDX w/Tech today, I think it's in this range as well. MDX w/TECH $600.XX per month 39months, 12K miles (CT tax included and same inception fees)

I think her eyes may be falling on the soon to be released Infiniti EX.

She's giving the RDX another try this week, as it does actually meet her criteria.

UGH :sick:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Wives should never be given car-buying decisions! :P (Unless she is paying for it completely out of her own money. Not joint account money, not matrimonial asset, but her money , ie. inheritance :P )
    Dunno about the drives like a german sedan part, but maybe I could agree with drives like a german SUV.
    UGH! :cry:

I'm going to convince to just pick a car with one part made in Germany.
    Well, technically, I'm wrong, the Touareg for instance isn't the least bit sporty IMO.
  • salinassalinas Member Posts: 6
    "So after a fun day , she's still undecided, her criteria is simply , fun to drive and room for a new family addition (i.e. storage for baby stuff). "

That sounds similar to my situation. Its not that I don't care about performance, but I have to temper that with practical needs about safety, cargo room and reliability, and price. But before all that, I have to like how the car looks or what's the point? So performance ends up kind of the bottom of the list.

The funny thing is, this isn't just a female thing to care about looks over performance--my husband and I both liked how the CX-7 drove, but he thought the interior was too cheap and tacky feeling.

Just curious about why you ruled out the A4 Avant, seeing as how your wife drives the A4 now..or even the A6 avant. Do you really want a taller car for the storage or for the ...SUVness of it? I ruled the A4 Avant out because of lack of availability (not many wagons on the lots), and it was a bit small for how much money it cost. The A6 was out of the price range new, and again, we just can't find any used to even see how they are. And a few people have warned us about the reliability of audi's.

I haven't driven the MDX yet, but I plan to try that and the RDX next. The CRV just feels so econo-sparse on its interior, that I was the one saying it was too "blah" for us.

We both really liked the Infinti FX, but the new ones aren't in our price range, which starts the typical issues of trying to find a good used one.
    Consumer Reports has the 2008RDX again on the recommended list, along with most of other Acura models.
    Reliability still above average, solid red (=good) for the important areas, engine/transmision/electrical, and only one black for the stereo. Very acurate and unbiased.
    I've realized that insurance is relatively high for the RDX. Best quotes for my area: BMW540 $1,000/yr, MDX $1,200/yr, RDX $1,400/yr.
    I know that SUVs cost more to insure than cars. But why would the RDX insurance be higher than the (huge) MDX?
    I wonder if the younger owners skew the claims numbers a bit? RD-X owners are probably younger and drive more enthusiastically, I'd bet.
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    Plus insurance companies love hearing the word 'turbo'.
    Insurance premiums (in part) reflects the cost of repairing the vehicle, do they not? So, perhaps an RDX suffers more damage, or more expensive damage, in their standardized collision tests.
    My husband showed me your post so I figured I would reply...

When I look at any type of wagon, it doesn't exactly say "hip new mom to me", regardless of the badge on the hood. I have no complaints about the A4...it has been very good to us. I ruled out keeping it for two reasons (1) It doesn't have a few amenities that the new one has, that I really want (Bluetooth, Nav, and a MP3 plug) and (2) I don't trust owning a German vehicle outside of a warranty..although it is so much fun to drive.

I am looking for something that will fit the needs of a growing family, without me having to feel like I sold-out on a car that I don't enjoy driving everyday.

I didn't really care for the RDX interior. I felt like it had an identity crisis. It didn't feel very luxurious, but didn't feel so bottom of the barrel as the CRV. But if I got it at a cheap enough price, I would consider it.

I am seriously rethinking the MDX. After reading alot of reviews from new moms and just raving about how fun it is to drive, and the peace of mind having their children in it. I think I will drive it again, but with the Sport Package. *My husband keeps telling me it will drive like a Cayenne We'll see what $45k compared to 90K will give us.

Being the value-conscience person that I am, I want the most car for the least amount of money, but above all, I want a vehicle that will be fun, safe, and not cost me our first born.
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    I just test drove an '08 RDX at Tustin Acura and observed the following traits; wondering if these are typical, or if something was wrong with this vehicle: 1) engine sounded coarse when cold; 2) highly non-linear power delivery (surges) even with easy throttle/no boost; 3) steering didn't have an even effort at low speeds - felt weird; 4) braking required lots of pedal effort. This vehicle had standard 18" wheels/tires.

I've driven AWDs before as well as owned 4-cyl turbos, and wanted to like this a whole lot more than I did. The one factor I was concerned about based on reviews, namely ride harshness, seemed fine to me - firm but not harsh. However the engine smoothness, steering feel, or braking feel didn't even approach that of an '07 Civic I'm currently driving! Comments? Thanks.
    What are comparing the RDX too? In general, Acuras are significantly cheaper than similar vehicles from Lexus or Audi or Porshe. You do give up a little luxury for the lower price. How much you want to pay is your personal decision.

Regarding safety, Acuras are consistently top rated by the IIHS (www.iihs.org). You should believe those folks a lot more than you believe car salesmen or anonymous message forums.
    Well, these are true statements, in general. 1)the small 4-cyl engine is not as refined as a large V6, like the RX350 or the Murano. But, the RDX beats all of these in the 0-60mph test. 2)that's the turbo lag effect, not serious but still visible. 3) I'm not 100% sure if the RDX has the variable steering assist, but I believe so. 4) it is hard to stop 4 thousand pounds of mass.
    Despite these minor points, I trully love my RDX: great perfomance, functionality, and reliability.
  • jperaltajperalta Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I own a 2007 Acura RDX with over 23,000 miles. Has anybody experience any problems with the front door locks? For me, everytime I unlock all the doors, the driver side makes a squeaking noise and the front passenger door does not even unlock. I do plan to take it to the dealer for check up but I feel it's embarrassing when I get a passenger and I end up unlocking the door manually.

Jef.
    My 2007RDX with 14K shows "A 16" service due. I think it means oil and rear differential oil change due(?) But according to the manual, I think you only have to replace the rear differ. oil at 15K if you drive in mountains or towing trailers.
    I drive all city, flat lands, no towing. :confuse:

What has been your experience with rear differ. oil change?
    Well, I just found out: it is $300. Ouch! I guess A-1 (oil+filter) is $110, and A-6 (rear differ oil) is $180, or so...
    The service person tried to get me to do alignment and balance, even though it is not in the maintenance reminder! I declined. At 14K it is redundant. I got a very negative opinion of Santa Monica Acura service from that upselling...
    I checked again the cost of owneship at Edmunds and it is all the way up to "highest" at its class. (Was 3/4 of the way to High last year).
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any drivers over 6 feet with 2 kids in car seats opt for the Acura RDX out there? That is the situation I find myself considering getting in to and I wondered how it worked out for you.

Did you consider the RDX and then get something else that worked better?

I like the sporty character of the RDX and that it is an Acura. Current car is 2005 Accord. Others considered are new Murano, Honda CR-V, Element, even Acura MDX (though a little big, we also have an Odyssey).
  • kwiskwyskwiskwys Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    If you're 6' 2" and you want to spend any amount of time in the passenger seat, make sure you try it out. The drivers seat is very adjustable and should be ok for you but the passenger is not (only forwards and back); there is not a lot of legroom for a tall person. I bought an RDX (love it) and my father was all ready to until he sat in the passenger seat. He ended up in a CRV because of it.
  • pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    $110 oil change...ouch!!

I bought a $10 Mobil 1 oil filter from Pep boys and a $25 jug of Mobil 1 oil from Wal-Mart and took it to my Acura dealer. They charged me $11 labor to do the oil change.
  • hdogdadhdogdad Member Posts: 5
    Anyone notice the downshift from 5 to 4 when slowing below about 48 MPH? Is this normal?
    The CR auto issue for 2008 is out: the RDX still recommended, better than avg. reliability, and beats the X-3 in the 0-60mph, and matches it in the 60-0 mph. Awesome!
    The only bad mark is for the stereo system (as expected). :)
  • rwhissenrwhissen Member Posts: 1
    I just traded a 2005 MDX for a 2008 RDX. The MDX was Onstar equipped. The RDX is not. Does anyone know why Acura dropped Onstar? Or was it vice versa?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Onstar was originally designed around an analogy network. They scrapped that network a little while back. Even if you'd kept your '05 MDX, the Onstar would have stopped working. (Not sure exactly what the cut-off date is.)

Acura was given the choice of upgrading to the new Onstar network. They opted out. Upgrading from analog would have required hardware changes to all vehicles equipped with Onstar. Instead, the company chose to pursue their homegrown AcuraLink system, which is based on XM's satellite radio network.
    Yep, same problem for old GM owners with OnStar, those are now out of service, too. No upgrade path, either.
  • angelina247angelina247 Member Posts: 17
    If you take your car to Santa Monica Acura, you might want to go to Kondo Motors also on SM Blvd. They take care of all models of Japanese cars. I've been going to them since someone at SM Honda told me about them almost 10 years ago. They are good and honest. Unless you just have to go to the dealer, you might consider Kondo for tune ups and oil changes, etc.
  • ptd1ptd1 Member Posts: 3
    I am complaining about it, even at higher speeds. Dealer "doesn't feel it"

Any more info?
    PTD1
    Unlike most FWD and F/AWD the RDX's SH-AWD system can safely support engine compression braking so the transaxle can be allowed to downshift as you slow, coastdown, just as it would with the much safer (compared with "other" FWD and F/AWD models) RWD & R/AWD models.

Drive a "true" AWD system, R/AWD system, such as the BMW X3/5 and you will notice an even more pronounced level of engine compression braking and downshifts on coastdown.

Neat feature of SH-AWD.
  • lynn3808lynn3808 Member Posts: 2
    watch out for the turbo; my 07 rdx started this way with no other indicators and the turbo blew out and took the engine with in. Acura can't tell me or the other 54 07 drivers that I have found why these turbos are going out without warning; John at Acura corporate told me 54 out of all the rdx's sold was bad. Of course this happens to those of us at 50,000+ miles; I just wonder how many 07 RDX's are out there with 50,000+ miles. When I bought Acura I didn't think it meant throw away car.
    I can't imagine there are that many 1+ year old cars with over 50,000 miles on the odo. Perhaps the turbo failures had to do with heavy usage?
    Actually 50,000 miles in one year implies primarily hwy miles, cruising miles, and therefore relatively LOW useage of the turbo.

Wastegate failure due to poor design would be my guess.
  • mfeirmanmfeirman Member Posts: 8
    Looking into leasing 2008 RDX. Wil the turbo engine accept 87 octane gas? Or do I really need to feed it 91?

Considering Infiniti FX35 as alternative.
    I've been using it w/ no prob., but I live near Denver at 6500 ft. where the octane is not so important. Also, I get this downshift thing for no known reason. I read one article that the low octane could affect the grade logic system, and cause inapproprriate downshifts.
    I like the vehice though.
    Almost any high compression modern day engine will "willingly" accept regular fuel. With the advent of EFI and now more sensitive non-resonant knock/ping sensors the only result might be a bit lower FE.

Apparently even in Denver where the air is so much thinner and therefore the use of premium fuel is more important for keeping the engine HP/torque up to "snuff". If the ECU cannot abate knock/ping via increasing the A/F ratio it will command a downshift more often.
    "Denver at 6500 ft. where the octane is not so important."

The primary difference at 6500 ft (Denver, 6500 ft...??) is that even at WOT the cylinder will NEVER get a full "charge", a full fill of A/F mixture, therefore almost never encounter engine knock/ping due to low octane, even in a relatively high compression engine.

But at higher elevations it is even more important to match premium fuel with a high compression engine in order to keep the engine performance, HP/torque, within "reason" and thereby avoid the continuous downshifts that results.

But other than the "nuisense" of the too often downshifts there will be no adverse results.
  • suvsearcher1suvsearcher1 Member Posts: 23
    Maybe you are right, but it is sometimes annoying when it downshifts abruptly like that. I have a 2008 RDX and for first 5000 miles or so I did not notice the downshift but I have been noticing it often nowdays on the local higways when I am driving between 45 and 50 mph. It feels as if the engine is cut off and it has downshifted from 5th gear to 3 or something.
    The 5 speed transmission is also not that smooth as I had wished. But otherwise its a good car and handles very well.
    I'd love to get more info on the downshift issue. They "reset" the grade logic module on mine. It got better for a while. But it is again "learning" when it thinks it should downshift in anticipation of a downhill grade. Its getting dumber in stead of smarter!

If I come over a rise in the highway and just tap the brake to release the cruise, it downshifts... and other times too (approaching a curve when I decell... very annoying... bad for fuel economy, and can't do much for the life of the trans either.
    Acura has no tweak at this time.