Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For many years I have treated cloth seats on my cars with Scotchgard, including my '01 Elantra. I think it has helped; the fabric is unspotted and still looks like new. I have redone it once in five years--but I don't drive the car much. If I got a Sonata with cloth I'd definitely use Scotchgard because the cloth is a light color--which I like, but it would show spots easily.
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    Back to dealership for 3rd door panel change and first oil change. While I'm waiting, asked price of a LX (Now I want the leather seats). Total of $3000 rebate sound good. I stayed there for 2 and half hours and they sold 3 Sonatas( More than a Sonata an hour). They figured $4500 differences between my GLS and a new LX, and they won't go any further than $4500. I think Sonata sells too well. I had to give up. They also told me that certain colors like Deep Water Blue and Steel gray ones are disappears so fast. I could not find any of those colored LX. They also told me that dealerships are hiding those popular Sonatas to keep their own lots. I was glad to hear that , and I wish Hyundai can gives some lessons to those overly priced Japanese car companies.
  • prg909prg909 Member Posts: 9
    it is cooled air i can tell the difference
    also when it is on mpg on the trip computer goes down a little
    who can i call at hyundai to verify this?
  • johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    kwonc71,
    "Total of $3000 rebate sound good."
    Where do the $3000 in rebates come from?
    John
    $1000 factory rebate+ $1000 Hyundai Finance rebate + $1000 owners loyalty rebate..... $1000 factory rebate applies to GLS V6 or LX only. You could buy top of the line LX for $21,500. May be, even lower when you say " The other dealership offered at $20,500." Try this classic lie.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "I wish Hyundai can gives some lessons to those overly priced Japanese car companies."

Not to take anything away from Hyundai's value pricing, but sales figures show that "Camcords" don't have too much to worry about yet. "Perceptions" are the intangibles that translate into sales - Hyundai bases its image on perceived value, whereas Honda and Toyota stress their legendary longterm reliability. Whether ANY of it is actually true at the present is up to current models to determine over time. In short, we consumers are always behind the curve in deciding our choices.
    We could say Hyundai car are cheaper because Korean labor is cheaper than American or Japanese. Now at Alabama facility Hyundai pays $24 an hour even for those people at assembly lines. If Hyundai can sell loaded V6 Sonata for $21,500( with $3,000 rebates), so does Japanese. They just getting more money out of our pocket by using their name plate that everyone think its deserve. It's about time to break stereo type of thinking. I still remember what a Honda sales person told me about 4 years ago " If you don't want to pay $2,000 more than MSRP on this Odyssey, somebody else will." He left me alone in the lot. I was shocked at his attitude. Honda sells too well, their sales people could treat me like garbage. That's Y I ended up buying a Kia Sedona. When Chinese starts sell mid sized sedan for $5,000 within two years, It will do lots of damage to American, Japanese, and even Korean motor companies. Can't wait till then.
    It's simply the law of supply and demand at work. If Honda and Toyota dealers can get $5,000.00 more than Hyundai can, they'd be total morons not to. Start likin' it. (I doubt Chinese mid-size sedans and coupes will be selling over here in two years for $5,000.00. Maybe $14,500.00 if you're lucky. Frankly, I don't feel "lucky" enough to take the risk on a technological and quality control unknown at any price on a brand new product which will just about be guaranteed to be sold as a sideline by other make U.S. dealers for the foreseeable future. But when, "The East Is Red" or whatever name it goes under, becomes available over here and you buy one, we'll all be very interested in reading your experiences with it. ;))
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Ah, yes. The Law of Supply & Demand...something no politician can alter. I sure didn't like $3 a gallon gasoline. My station is down to $2.27...still don't like it, but in either situation it beats the hell out of rationing or waiting in 1/2 hour long lines or odd/even days and all that idiocy we had to deal with under Jimmie Carter. (I'm wearing my yellow JC sweater now so I can save on the heating bill, but at least I can get the fuel to provide heat and don't have to worry about whether the fuel will be available next month.) If someone has a need for higher temps, such as a baby or frail elderly, they can get it without having to get a special exception from Big Brother.

If the overall public catches on to Hyundai's continual improvement, we will be paying about the same for a Hyundai as for a comparable Hon/Toy. Let's make OJ our poster boy to help keep Hyundai prices down. (LOL)
  • amigo108amigo108 Member Posts: 1
    "With the higher rebate ( $3,000), I can get the base GLS v6 for $16499 or one with a moon roof for 16,899. Thats over $5,000 off sticker."

howd you manage that deal, it seems that they would be selling under invoice then applying rebates. Is there a trade or high finance rate that is sweetning the deal for the dealer? Or is that just what people are actually wlking out the door with a gls v-6 fo rnowadays.
  • mikhamikha Member Posts: 5
    $3000 sounds good, but in reality not many can get advantage of all these money.
    $1000 Hyundai Finance rebate - you can get only if you finance with Hyundai, where interest rate is outragesly high! Today I was got 8.9% (considering that I have excellent credit score!). Thank you very much, I'll skip it...
    $1000 owners loyalty rebate - I was not very proud owner of Excel, but my registration for this car had expired long time ago, so I'm not eligible now :(
    $1000 factory rebate - you cannot combine it with 4%-4.25%, so you better get calculator to figure out what would be a better option, to get %1000 or this low interest
    1) You can take advantage of the HMFC financing $1000 rebate and pay if off almost immediately by refinancing with your bank, credit uion, etc.

2) Everyone qualifies for the general $1,000 rebate (or $500 if a 4 cyl).

3) Owner loyalty rebate is only for current owners of any Hyundai, regardless of model or model year.

Everyone can get the first two rebates, for $2,000 total. If one finances with HMFC at a higher rate to get the $1K, and if it takes 6 weeks to refinance to get a lower rate, how much extra in interest does one pay? Maybe 50 bucks?, would have to run the numbers. So the buyer would still be ahead by at least $950.
    Here's a way to get the $1000 loyalty rebate: go find an '80s-vintage Excel that still runs (if barely)--might cost you $100--keep it long enough to get the rebate, then donate it to your favorite charity (many take used cars).

I am half-kidding, but I wonder if anyone has ever done something like that?
    Actually, sounds like a good idea. 2 questions in this regard:
    - are you sure that it is so easy to refinance auto loan in 6 weeks? is any closing cost involved?
    - today I got "special" price quote on GLS V6 with sport package (17'' rims, autodim rear view mirror and etc...) $18995+$600 destination charge. How is it sound? Is this something worse to consider? Forgot to mention - $2000 of rebates is included in this price

Thank you
    --Mikha
    Keep thinking about your suggestion to refinance HMFC loan. I don't think you're right on this one. It would be too easy for consumers and too stupid for HMFC, who wants to make money more on interest payments than on sold cars...
    They will calculate the full amount of interest you'd have to pay and "include" it in the total you owe, divide it on whatever number of months and that is it. Now you'd have repay them this new amount.
  • krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    :cry: first scratch on my beautiful Golden Beige LX front door. i guess its somebody's car that was parked beside mine. that guy must have opened the door too far to hit my car. but ofcourse its only scratch on the clear coat, didn't reach the paint. would appreciate any suggestions on how to remove scratches on clear coat and repair it.
    Others have done it. Read the last couple of pages on this forum and see for yourself.

As far as the price, which I forgot after looking it up and seeing your latest post, check the Hyundai site for the MSRP and deduct the rebates. That will tell you how much the dealer is discounting the car.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    If you can catch your finger nail in the scratch, you'll need touch up paint. If you can't catch your nail in the scratch, then try 3M swirl remover to get the scratch out. You will need to re-wax the area after using the 3M.
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    "Keep thinking about your suggestion to refinance HMFC loan.... It would be too easy for consumers and too stupid for HMFC, who wants to make money more on interest payments than on sold cars..."

That is one thing I can't figure out either...
    There must be a catch somewhere, or those in charge of HMFC are total incompetent morons!
    You don't have to have a high IQ to figure out this deal: take it, and refinance soon after!
    So, what was the reason you bought a Sonata insted of Camcord? You did not buy Sonata because it was better car than Camcord. You bought it because it was cheaper. I don't get your point?
    You're kidding, right? Of course I bought my Sonata because it was cheaper than a new Accord or Camry. (How could you miss that point?) Just don't get the idea the Sonata was my first choice technologically and aesthetically. After my '96 Accord got totaled, I needed wheels and purchasing the Sonata allowed me to avoid lease or loan payments. (The only purchase I allow myself to carry debt burden on is my home - and at that, only because I will not rent, the outright purchase price is too high to pay up front, there are federal and state primary residence loan interest deductions, and, historically, real estate values are nearly guaranteed to appreciate over time.) In about three years, though, it'll be, "Sayonara, Sonata.", and "Hello, Acura TL."
    Not everyone will refinance. They aren't morons, but maybe they just don't bother to check out other financing options. Why do you think so many companies sell products with rebates rather than just cutting the price? They are betting that many people won't take the time to send in the rebate forms.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    "They are betting that many people won't take the time to send in the rebate forms."

And they are right of course. As I type this, I am readying a $50.00 rebate form to send in for the Sirius radio I just had installed in my '06 Sonata. I always send them in but I hate rebates. "Please wait 8-10 weeks for your rebate to arrive!" Why??? BTW, the Sirius radio is terrific.
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    Rebates is one thing... at least you are buying the product and in most cases they do get some money in order to cover at least their cost.
    But HMFC is giving out money outright with nothing in return! They give out $1,000 and get maybe 1 or 2 months worth of interest: around $200 at the most - they still come out short $800.
    May be those who could only find another source to refinance at 7.5-8%, decide it is not worth the hassle to do it... But,I doubt anybody with the cash, will just look down on $800, or forget to do it. I won't.
    Maybe they figure it's a less-costly way to offer a rebate than $1000 cash. They do get some money out of it, and I really don't think everyone who gets the HMFC financing will refinance.
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    I just received an e-mail from Hyundai customer service today, in response to my inquiry about when XM will be factory installed.

The official word is "wait and see." Anyone have any inside info on this? It may seem like a minor concern, but it's not. All the FM stations in my area are awful, and I don't think I'd like the looks of an aftermarket unit.
    Based on posts from several months ago, I thought the XM units were supposed to start showing up in the Sonata about now.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America's corporate web site. We appreciate all inquiries regarding our products and services.

Current model Hyundai vehicles are not equipped with XM Satellite systems, either as a standard feature or as a factory option. Future Hyundai models may include this feature, however, information is not yet available for specific models or dates. Please refer to the web site for periodic updates on current and upcoming vehicles and features.

Thank you again for contacting Hyundai Motor America.
  • mjwatsonmjwatson Member Posts: 1
    When I put the brakes on I can hear the gas in the gas tank sloshing around, or at least that is what it sounds like. Has anyone had this experience?
  • acurattleacurattle Member Posts: 35
    You must be a newcomer here. Welcome! How's Peter Parker? :)
    Anyhow, gas sloshing noise has indeed been reported here in a number of posts. Though I never posted anything on this, I have heard it too. Have experienced this in several other cars as well. Either I've gotten used to it, or it doesn't happen that often, as I have not noticed any recent sloshing sounds.
  • zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    That would be illegal. Interest is simple interest.
    The payoff total was on my first coupon. It was the
    total I financed plus one months interest. They are
    trying to sell cars, and possibly make some money off
    the financing. Not everyone is going to refinance, but
    I would guess at least half will, since the rates are
    relatively high for Hyundai financing. I will save 2.5
    percent.
    I had thought about that, but it's hard to find
    one in the area I live. Now if you lived in DC,
    Philadelphia, or New York area, you could find one. This would cost about 200, after registration, saving you 800. Then you give it to charity, and get a tax deduction.
    I'm sure someone must have done this. :)
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "Law of Supply & Demand...something no politician can alter. I sure didn't like $3 a gallon gasoline. My station is down to $2.27...still don't like it,"

It has very little to do with SUPPLY& DEMAND. It's about manipulation of profits by the oil companies. But this is a topic for another place.......
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Message back from Hyundai:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

All of the 2006 Hyundai Sonata models sold in the United States are made here in the United States at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA).

Unfortunately at this time we do not have any available information regarding updates to the transmission of the four cylinder 2006 Hyundai Sonata models. Please peruse our website at www.HyundaiUSA.com from time to
    time for periodic updates.

Thank you for using Hyundai Motor America E-MAIL support.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Chinese cars??? Three words...remember the Yugo!!
    Or remember the Mercedes, Audis, Volkswagens, Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, et. al. ... all being made in China. I don't believe for a second there will be a $5000 made-in-China mid-sized car here anytime soon, or ever (wages are rising in China), but made-in-China cars are coming here, make no mistake about it.
  • rrcrrc Member Posts: 30
    I financed through HMFC, took my $1000 rebate, and re-fi'd through my bank. Never made a payment to HMFC, and in fact got a check from them after my bank made the payoff. 3 months/5K miles in - no problems, nice little car for the money.
    I don't think the Yugo was made in China.

Go to a Wal-Mart, and try to find something,
    anything, not made in China, except for edibles,
    and cosmetics. I think you'll be amazed at the
    electronics, housewares, etc., made in China.

I would expect a Chinese car to be acceptable after
    the first few shakeout years. Anyone remember the junk
    Honda made when it first started selling in the US?
    I wouldn't expect it to be a great deal cheaper than
    the competition though, just as the Walmart stuff.
    It might be 10% cheaper, not 70. More profit for
    delaers and manufacturers though, with the very cheap
    labor in China. China is looking more and more like
    the next Japan, and they didn't even need to lose
    a war to the US.
  • dmb2006dmb2006 Member Posts: 2
    So, I bought it in mid August 05.
    Just got 3000 miles on it.
    Very happy with the car (other option was Mazda 6 2005 - same price for very similar trim (grand touring on the Mazda6 )- warranty convinced me to chose Hyundai).
    Several problems though -
    1. Noise from the arm rest - treated with grease in the hinge (the lower one, of the big compartment). (disassemble the arm rest to grease it, and it worked)
    2. Power steering pump noise mainly when the steering wheel is not in straight position. Dealer fixed it (waited long time to get pump, no parts in dealer stock for the new cars). was good for less than a week, noise started again. (sound similar to description on the moaning noise).
    3. Hyundai symbol pop out from right front wheel - seems like there is a plastic there that pushed it out. Thought about gluing it, but it does not fit back due to that plastic - need to ask dealer.
    4. Ashtray got stuck - not always open when pushed. Dealer is taking care of that by replacing (again need to wait a lot to get parts for the new model).
    5. Had the recall on the seat handle done - new handle looks OK.
    These are all the issues I experienced, except the pump issue all the other are non issues. The pump got me worried.

I was concerned not seeing many new sonatas on the road. I hope this will prove to be a very good car.

Just a comment on the climate control thread, I was not sure I saw the final answer on that. You can push auto and then any button you touch gets out of auto - all the other remain controlled although it does not say auto anymore.
    It worked for me and it is what the manual says.
    By the way auto does not activate air quality control.
    So I do Auto and then push the air quality button

Still an happy sonata owner. :)
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    The Yugo was made in what was then Yugoslavia
  • rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    On your Sonata, does the interior buttons of the driver side mirror control and door lock/unlock buttons light up? The window control ones do. I swear that those buttons did too, but maybe I am imagining things?
    I've noticed a moaning noise, but only if I try to move
    the steering wheel when the car is not moving, which
    you aren't supposed to do anyway. Did yours moan at other times?

Also I've had a whistling noise coming from brake pads,
    when the car is cold. After a couple of minutes it goes
    away. Anyone else have this problem? I only noticed it
    because I put it in the garage the other day, because it
    started snowing. Then I noticed it again today, when I
    first started out.
    Nope, just went out and checked. Seems like an oversight.
    The window control buttons light up, but nothing else.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Your Hyundai does not even need to run. Just prove ownership to the dealer, title or registration or bill of sale copy should do it.
    Go to the junkyard and buy a salvage title car.
    Of course you're right! Now Big Oil is manipulating the prices down to where they were six months ago, before the hurricane season. Global demand for oil hasn't increased one bit in the last couple of years. Refined oil products have increased much more than demand in the last few years, thanks to all those new oil refineries built in the last 25 years.

Big Computers has been rapidly manipulating its profit in the last few years also.

But, there is the enlightened few who would rather be able to buy gas only on certain days of the month and wait an hour or more to get that gas rather than pay a higher price.

Yeah, I'm with you Chuckybaby. Don't know what I was thinking before about supply and demand, in general, or as related to fuel prices. But you're right again, this is a topic for another place...like when sitting down and learning a little something about economics and the free market.
  • rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    Thanks!
    Take a look at this then. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=10280

They are still behind, but they are trying hard.
    Remember. Lots of American still think your car (Hyundai) as YUGO quality car too. In fact, 90% of my co-workers think I'm stupid to buy a Hyundai junky. Just give few years, you will see what Chinese can do. It will be just like what Japanese and Korean did.
  • george30george30 Member Posts: 1
    Hyundai makes Sonatas in the U.S., and also in Korea. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I'm looking at a Sonata LX made in Korea, but only am familiar with the car made in the U.S.
    Possibly, I had a lot of buyer resistance before I bought my first Hyundai and I admit I like them BUT...China??? And, yes, almost everything is made in China including many replacement auto parts. I will refuse to buy Chinese auto parts if possible, especially critical safety things like brake parts. Is that my prejudice showing??? In many cases it is impossible to find electronics, clothes,and many other things made some where else let alone the USA but it will be a long time before I buy a Chinese car. Yeah..yeah,I know... never say never.
    Actually as far as I know all LX models are made in the USA, always were, from the 2006 model year introduction. Only 4 cylinder models are still made in Korea but that too is scheduled to change, if it didn't already, when the 4 cylinder will begin to be built in Alabama also. As for actual differences..there aren't any unless you think U.S.workers would affect quality verses Korean built.
    I assume you don't live in the U.S. if you can get a Sonata LX made in Korea.

There are differences between Sonatas made for the U.S. and those for other countries. For example, I've seen Sonatas made for the home market and they have different engines, trim, and interiors (e.g. black interior with leather on a "sport" model). So it's difficult to know what the difference may be in the LX you are looking at. Maybe the best thing to do is look at the description of the U.S.-market Sonatas at www.hyundaiusa.com, and then you can compare the trim and features to the LX you are considering buying.