Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I know what you mean, I can't think of one person I known that had a Mitsubishi with over 60K miles that didn't nickel and dime them to death.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    The more I think about it, the more I like the Sonata as the next car to replace my 02 Elantra GT. The Elantra has been a phenomenal car and has really gone a long way to cementing my relationship with Hyundai.

There are a few things that I'd like to change on the Sonata, however. In no particular order:

- Add a seek button to the steering wheel audio controls (should have been there in the first place!)

- Restyle the interior to add electroluminescent gauges and incorporate a less "funky" center dash design. Please get rid of the ugly pale green instrument lighting!

- Add the option of satellite radio. What happened to the XM satellite radio deal? There was a Hyundai press release about it and then nothing happened.

- Add a tire pressure monitoring system (though this might be a government mandated addition for the 2007 model year).

- An in-dash navigation system option would be nice. Sonatas sold in other countries have it.

- Offer an exterior color that actually looks like it is red. Sorry, Dark Cinnamon doesn't cut it.

The Sonata is a great car. A few changes might make it even better.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I bet you will see all of these changes in place, except maybe a dash redesign, for the 2007 MY. XM is definitely coming for 2007; TPMS is as you said mandated by the government; and the Sonata's cousin the Optima is offered in red, so maybe Hyundai will open up the color palette a bit also.

But you might also want to wait and see what the all-new 2007 Elantra is like, since Hyundai seems to be improving more with each new model.
    Hmmm...haven't really thought about the all-new Elantra. I'll check the Elantra discussion to see if there are any pics or technical specs available yet.

I was seeing myself move up the Hyundai ladder (Elantra, Sonata, Azera, ? (rear-wheel drive sport/luxury car?). I love my GT, but want to buy something larger with more power. I test drove the Sonata a few months ago and came away very much impressed. Since then I've paid off the Elantra and am biding my time to see what kind of enhancements Hyundai will make to the Sonata for next year.
    Well, the Sonata is certainly larger and more powerful than your Elantra. But then, the 2007 Elantra will be larger and more powerful than your Elantra too. Depends on how much larger and more powerful you need. :)
  • nhepker1nhepker1 Member Posts: 13
    I need some advice from some who have driven previous gen Camry's (02-06) and the new Sonata. My local dealer is selling a GLS V6 for 17500. This seems like a great deal to me. My only concern is ride quality. I got my Camry (03 SE) because of it's comfortable and quiet ride. How does the Sonata compare in that regard. I haven't test driven it yet. Probably will tomorrow.
    Don't take anyones word for it, test drive it yourself and see. Only you can tell if you like it.

• mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    The Sonata rides more like a Camry than an Accord. Soft, very little road noise, smooth transmission.

But the difference in PRICE makes it a winner.
    Well, the Sonata is certainly larger and more powerful than your Elantra. But then, the 2007 Elantra will be larger and more powerful than your Elantra too. Depends on how much larger and more powerful you need.

Hence the source of my "Decisions, decisions" post on the 2007 Hyundai Elantra board. :confuse:
  • wdlp65wdlp65 Member Posts: 13
    Hey, there is nothing wrong with my Dark Mica Cinammon by the way! I didn't buy it because I wanted a red car, I bought it because I wanted a Dark Cinammon car! 100 bucks says my paint and interior scheme looks a hundred times better than yours!
  • mejozamejoza Member Posts: 17
    So, is everyone under the impression that the '07 Sonata will be "Recommended" by Consumer Reports. I know they wont recommend new models ('06) because reliability is a big factor in the status. Are there any bugs or issues with the Sonata that might get in the way of CR giving the model their thumbs up?

Also how many of you owners use the the manual shift feature every time you drive your Sonata? I've done two seperate test drives and never even attemped to use it. I guess I was kind of scared of it.
    So, is everyone under the impression that the '07 Sonata will be "Recommended" by Consumer Reports.

Don't know, don't care, don't trust CR enough to tell me the time of day.

Also how many of you owners use the the manual shift feature every time you drive your Sonata? I've done two seperate test drives and never even attemped to use it. I guess I was kind of scared of it.

The first time I test drove a Sonata I couldn't wait to use that feature. It shifted ok, not exactly like a manual but ok. I wouldn't use it on a continual bases anyway.

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    It will be recommended IF there are no overbearing reliability issues. As far as I can tell the issues are as it now stands involve personal comfort...i.e. the drivers seat being unable to fully adjust on the seat cushion bottom (manual seats). Various rear suspension noise complaints...gas sloshing noise on less than a full tank...ride quality on O.E. Michelin tires...fuel economy (never as good as one expects or hopes for)...the hope for various improvements and additions in optional equipment i.e. XM radio,GPS screen, new exterior and interior colors. So,no, there doesn't appear to be much that is basically wrong and the pretty good crash testing score won't hurt because Consumer Report puts much more weight into that type of thing than, say, Car & Driver.
    With regard to Shiftronic, it is my belief that it is somewhat of a gimmic, not useless but not something most will use every time either. The transmission in the automatic mode will downshift on demand and put you in the right gear for the situation anyhow. Shiftronic is pretty much idiot proof ( note: not calling you an idiot)and operates within safe engine/road speed parameters i.e. you cannot shift from 5th to 2nd gear at 75mph.
    It is a certainty that CR will "recommend" the Sonata, and in fact give it its highest recommendation (it has two types of recommendation), if it achieves at least an "average" score in its reliability survey. That's the only bar left to cross as far as CR is concerned. It tested out well in CR's own tests and got at least "Acceptable" scores on all the crash tests.
    "Don't know, don't care, don't trust CR enough to tell me the time of day. "

What's your issue with CR? I just assumed they we're looking out for us, the lowly consumer. :surprise: Do you have faith in any automotive media?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Have faith in yourself is the best solution. Don't trust others, trust yourself :)
    That fine and all, but without CR and www.carbuyingtips.com and edmunds.com I would wander onto car lots uninformed and seemingly powerless. CR has invested a lot of time and effort in informing potential buyers as to where their hard-earned money is most safely spent. Now, If I had allowed myself to be blindly guided by CR when buying my new car, it wouldn't have been 06' Sonata because there's too much risk buying the first year of a new or redsigned model.
    I will admit however that CR has kept me well informed over the last 7 years as to what this new car biz is all about. I feel very well informed having read their new car guides. I felt my new Sonata was worth the "risk"
    What's your issue with CR?

I don't find them reliable.

I have seen them rate one thing very highly and another very low with the only difference was the name pasted on the product (in other words they came off the same assembly line from the same manufacturer).

I have seen them to tests of a particular type of product and giving what everyone else rated as second rate the best and not even having what everyone else considered the best in on the testing.

More often than I care to remember I have gotten things they gave high marks to only to find that they were pieces of junk.

I just assumed they we're looking out for us, the lowly consumer.

They are looking out for CR.

Do you have faith in any automotive media?

Nope, some I have more trust in than others. But when it comes to things of this nature CR rates between Mad Magazine and street sign.

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Why don't you trust CR? It is the ONLY publication that may give perspective buyers a glimmer of how any specific brand/make/model vehicle may hold up over the long run. Almost all the reliability issue information is provided by current owners via survey forms (I got one for my 06 Civic). If those owners provide honest information (and I believe abnormalities or obvious bitchers are weeded out or maybe factored in) then a series of trends start to form..it is either reliable or not and if not what fails on a majority of cars. Pure automobile magazines, are good for first impressions, performance numbers, and a collection of drivers impressions but do nothing for information on how their favorite hotrod of the day may hold up in the long run.
    His opinion, so no point in arguing.

To me, CR is a compliment to my own decisions. By the end of the day, I am netural as to my position in CR, or any other automotive publications, for that matter. I praise CR what what they do but by no means I have to agree with everything they say - the checkbook is still in my pocket :)
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    CR is only part of my research base. I actually find Consumer Guide to be more objectively informative. Plus, Edmunds.com and all of these forums are an asset.
  • pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    Pics and word of mouth out of Korea indicate the new Elantra will be much roomier (BTW the current Elantra already has more hip room in rear than Sonata....it's true!) but there will a very upscale contenting in this vehicle....see pic here of exterior (small Azera)

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2006/03/2007-hyundai-elantra_21.html#comme-

and interior

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/f1guy68/07HD.jpg

What do you think? I like it, personally. Not revolutionary, but evolutionary, handsome and tasteful.
  • joeg1joeg1 Member Posts: 18
    Excerpted from Automotive News article of March 27.

"Hyundai also is restructuring its pricing and options packaging by pulling forward its 2007 model year release. The 2007 model, which will arrive in May or June, will give the four-cylinder model more standard features and a realigned pricing structure."

Search on Sonata at http://www.autonews.com for the full text.
    I find these forums to be one of the best in getting information on cars. I also try to talk to owners of cars I am interested in.

Pics and word of mouth out of Korea indicate the new Elantra will be much roomier

I have a 2000 my daughter has a 2002 and hers is roomier than mine. How much room are they going to put in that car?

It'll be bigger than Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3 and I am sure that it'll out-content them and be loaded with safety, XM standard and I hear a 153 hp 4 cylinder and a possible 2.7V6 option...the new 2.7 with 185. Hyundai wants to sell a million cars and this car has eventually sell nearly 200,000 in US to do so. I'm betting it is going to be very appealing!
  • sonotasonota Member Posts: 5
    DONT BUY THE CAR, I HAD OWNED A 06 SONOTA LX MODEL WITH V6 ENGINE WAS HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR . SEEMS IT MIGHT BE A QUALITY ISSUE WITH THE NEW AMERICA PLANT . HYUNDAI PURCHASED THE CAR BACK FROM ME AND UPGRADED ME INTO THE AZERA WHICH IS BULDT ONLY IN KOREA . AND YES IT IS 100% BETTER THEN THE SONOTA . ITS SOLD AS A ROCK , IF YOU HAVE EVER DRIVEN IN A LEXUS OR A BENZ THIS CAR IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH THEM IT HAS ALL OF THE LUXURY FEATURES . IT IS MORE THEN I WOULD SEND ON A HYUNDAI PRODUCT . BUT I DID NOT HAVE TO . HYUNDAI ARRANGE FOR ME TO HAVE THE CAR AT THE EXACT SAME PRICE I PAID FOR THE SONOTA . I AM AMAZED HYUNDAI STEPED UP TO THE PLATE AND PURCHASED THE SONOTA BACK AND UPGRADED ME TO THERE FLAG SHIP MODEL. THE ONLY QUESTION WITH ME IS WILL IT HOLD UP . I HAVE ONLY BEEN IN IT FOR 1 WEEK . BUT SO FAR I AM IMPRESSED WITH THE CAR . THE RIDE IS OF THAT OF A LUXURY CAR. LIKE A BUICK BUT NOT AS FLOATY . IF YOUR GOING TO PURCHASE A HYUNDAI CAR AND CAN AFFORD IT . TEST DRIVE THE AZERA FIRST.
    A 2.7 V6 in an Elantra would be a kick. Also aren't they toying with the ideal of putting a 2.0 liter turbo in the Accent?

What's a Sonota?
    Interesting news...isn't the base (I4) Sonata already equipped with more std. features than anyone else. I am not against the move, just curious as to what more they'd be offering, speculations, anyone?
  • wdlp65wdlp65 Member Posts: 13
    Don't listen to Sonota, I own an 06 LX and it's a very nice car with NO complaints and NO quality issues! It's very comfortable and the ride is quiet, the V-6 is very strong, overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

Take one for a test drive and see for yourself.

If I were you I'd spend the extra dollars and look into an LX as you get many more features not included with the GLS. Leather, 17" rims and tires that look great, the mirror, etc.

Good Luck!
    If I'm not mistaken, the current Elantra is already bigger than its compact competitors, in terms of (most) dimensions (EPA rated midsize; Sonata - large). Anyway, I am eager for this to drop in a few weeks, but don't count on a V6 just yet...
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    On March 8 you wrote:
    "NO I AM NOT GOING TO LET THEM BUY IT BACK JUST TO PUT ME IN ANOTHER PROBLEM CAR . THIS WAS MY SECOND HYUNDAI AND THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE."

Changed your mind huh? Now you have your third Hyundai! And what is with the all caps?? That is shouting on a forum board.
    Go easy on your caps lock :)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I would think someone would listen to both Sonota and you and make their own decision. Isn't that how this thing works?
    A couple of nice adds to the '07 I4 Sonatas would be a standard power seat (since the manual seat isn't very adjustable) and adding that little tuning button to the steering column (across the board). Now that the '07 Camry is out, maybe they will make standard equipment and options line up closer to that car. One thing they could do, for instance, is drop alloys as standard on the GLS, and maybe cut the price a little more (or pad their profit).
    A friend of mine owns a Hyundai dealership and informs me of communications he receives through Hyundai, dealer mtgs info, etc tells me that Hyundai is becoming a model of efficiency because of Montgomery...not because noone else has done what they are doing, but because they did it soooo fast with output, quality issues, etc. There has been nothing but minor issues relating to the Montgomery operation. In fact, this operation is soooo efficient that the recent decision to build the affiliate Kia plant was made because of the rapid success of the Montgomery plant. This conglomerate just decided to invest another $1.5 billion which makes 2 plants capable of building 600,000+ and they are becoming a force to deal with.
    Frankly, I am skeptical of reports stating Hyundai is buying back Sonatas when dealers are selling cars to new customers who are raving about their ownership of this car and when Nissan is reportedly having a fit 'down south' that Hyundai is kicking their a** after only one year and they can't get it right after almost 3! That's what is being said among the insiders
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    I don't find them reliable

CR rates between Mad Magazine and street sign

Unless, of course, they happen to like your car. Then you like them.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Who cares? Probably only you.
    To be perfectly honest I have no ideal what they say about mine, or most, cars.

Why a Sonota is a cor made by Hyundoi. Now get bock to work. :P

• kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    That's funny....hahahaha... :cry: :P
  • slm1slm1 Member Posts: 28
    Can you asked your Hyundai dealership friend, how to repair the vibration in a 4 cylinder, automatic, 2.4 liter, 2005 Sonata. My car seems to have excessive vibration that is baffleing the service department at my dealership.
    My car has an excessive vibration felt in the steering wheel, seat, floor, everything in the cabin while the car is in gear, park, or neutral. Sometimes is shakes real bad.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    -------------------
    Have faith in yourself is the best solution. Don't trust others, trust yourself
    -------------------

Excellent advice. Use CR and the car magazine sites as 1 of many indicators. Internet chatter is the same way. Remember that 10% of the people like anything, 10% like nothing. That leaves about 50% of the chatter useful. If all indicators come up good, go drive the car. You are ultimately the best and final judge.
    Lets see 10% likes everything

10% likes nothing

50% is useful

Now where is the other 30%?

1.) They are Amish and just use a horse and buggy

2.) Live in Venice and use boats?

3.) Hitchhike

4.) Bum rides with friends

5.) Steal their cars

Enquiring minds want to know.

• bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Whassamattafayou Snakeweasel, can't you apply simple logic? :D If 50% are useful, that means the missing 30% goes in the "not useful" category.

No, really, I think only 50% of Internet chatter is worthy of consideration. I see many, many dissatisfied customers that get obsessed with "getting even" and blasting their enemy irrationally. Satisfied customers gush their love around the Internet a few times, then tire of it. Sometimes the disgruntled ones go on a never-ending bashing campaign.

I'm not quite sure which category you fit in today, but I did like the Amish category. :D
    I'm not quite sure which category you fit in today, but I did like the Amish category.

Well English you figured me out. As I sit here at my kerosene powered computer I hope the elders of the order don't find out. :P

• sonatabobsonatabob Member Posts: 15
    The April Automotive issue shows the Frequency of Repair charts for each model. I was interested in how the Tucson rated for its first MY 2005. All areas were either Good or Excellent, no black marks AT ALL, however the overall rating was Unacceptable!! So then I decided to look at the Mustang, also new for MY 2005. Not nearly as good in all areas as the Tucson with one half-black dot, yet overall they rated the car good! Further in their narrative for the '06 model, they note problems especially with the V6 cars. Curiously, even though Ford sells MORE V6 Mustangs, CR had NO rating chart in the Frequency of Repair section for the V6, only the V8. To top it all off, they rate the Mustang as RECOMMENDED -totally contrary to their own findings! I certainly find inconsistencies, contradictions as well as bias in their reviews and ratings. I think it's better to listen to a wide-variety of automotive sources in all media. CR in my opinion is a flawed source and should NOT be considered any more credible than the next guy.
    Actually, CR rated the Mustang "Average" (not Good) in predicted reliability and the Tucson "Much worse than average" (not Unacceptable). Oh no! You made a mistake! (at least two, actually) That means we can't take anything else you say here, including your previous post, seriously!! ;)

One thing you don't seem to understand is that coming up with CR's overall reliability rating is not simply a matter of "adding up the dots." For example, the ratings are weighted so that an engine problem has more weight than, say, a trim problem. So maybe the fact that the Tucson was only "average" (and for a new car that's pretty poor) on Drive System, Fuel (system), and Brakes had something to do with CR's rating.
    The Reliability Verdict for each model year is calculated from the problem rates for the 14 trouble spots and compared with that year's average. Extra weight is given to the engine, cooling system, transmission, and drive system.
    -- From Consumer Reports 2005 Annual Auto Issue, p. 82

I am just trying to help people understand the facts. And you complain about my attitude? Whatever.