Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    Possibly that might be the answer Jack.

Is it safe where you live? The wife and I might look into it. ;)
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    The trunk lockout he is referring to is a little lever ON the trunk latch. I always lockout my trunk when I put something valuable in there. Don't move if you like your area.....crime is evrywhere.
    The best alarm system for your scenario is a ROTTWEILLER that has not been fed for weeks and haas been tormented for months.
    Thank you for the response Craig.

I found the little lever on the trunk latch you are referring to. I know from trying it out that it will lock out the key fob and the Sonata's inside electrical release. But my question is, other than this safety feature, what is its value?

I found, in testing my system, that once the car is armed that even though you break out the driver's side door glass, as mine was, and reach into the car to trip the electrical release(even though the little switch in the trunk has not been set to lock, but left in the unlock position)that the inside electrical release is deactivated. Even when you open the door and set off the alarm, the inside electrical release is still deactivated.

What I found to be the most important security measure I can take to make sure my trunk stays theft proof, is to pull down the left and right rear backseat cushions and lock the seat. If this maneuver is not accomplished then all a thief would have to do with the locked trunk, is get to the back seat and open it to have access to the locked truck.
    Don't forget the dog.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    "But my question is, other than this safety feature, what is its value?"

I can think of one.... accidentally opening your trunk with the key fob in you pocket. It happens. I've seen it. This little latch will prevent that and will force you to open the trunk via key.
    Eagle,
    Thanks for reminding me that the seats have to be locked. Forgot all about that. The bad part is you have to CRAWL into the trunk to unlock the seats. Ouch.
    Craig said: "The bad part is you have to CRAWL into the trunk to unlock the seats. Ouch."

You are right about that Craig, and at my age that is not a comforting thought. However, the pain of crawling into the trunk would be more than off set by knowing that you saved your ID info and any cash or valuable items that were NOT stolen.

After spending several days condemning our selves for leaving the wife's purse in plain sight, with all her ID info in the car, and trying to remember who all to call in order to cover our posterior, it seems like a small price to pay(crawling into the trunk)!!! :blush:
  • lemmon5lemmon5 Member Posts: 5
    Swish, Swish, Swish goes the Sonata :lemon: Bought 2007 Sonata and have had nothing but trouble it has 1,700 miles and has been in the shop more than on the road.
    The whole rear sounds like its coming out. We were told that it needed baffles so they put baffles in the gas tank and then the baffles absorbed the gas and the gas gauge showed 3/4 tank and it was empty. Then the dealership called corporate a corporate rep came in and that was a joke we were never so disappointed in the deception apparently there has been an ongoing gas tank swishing or problem and it seems everyone knew of it but the district manager. When he was just there and rode in the car two weeks before. I guess you get what you pay for, and that was one expensive lemon but I learned my lesson Honda here I come........
    After much he said she said between the dealership and the Hyundai Regional Manager guess who is left holding the bag you got it me the consumer. I have never experienced so much deception in one sitting, selective memory perhaps I bought a Sonata and have had nothing but problems as it has been in service more than on the road. My wife and I have never been talked to like we were by the Regional Manager of Hyundai it was obvious he forgott who the customer was. So good luck getting Corporate to support you or your dealership with (those Lemons they say don't exist) never another Hyundai and we have owned 5. :lemon:
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I, along with most on this forum, am extremely happy with our cars. I have nothing but excellent things to say about my service department and did have an issue where the service dept wanted a recommendation from our regional service rep and that experience too was extremely positive.

Just remember...there are those on the Honda forums that have gooten "lemons" too. There is no such manufacturer as a perfect, trouble free manufacturer. There are others that are saying..."Hyundai here I come" ;)

I would'nt give up and would try a different dealership before you do anything rash. I have never, personally, heard of a "swish...swish" problem with Sonata gas tanks.

In the end, you will do what you need to do and move on as life's to short.
    Craig, and all who are interested. I have been doing some more investigating regarding the security system on the 06 Sonata.

One thing I had forgotten about is the fact that I had kept my valet key in the packet of information containing the Sonata manual in my glove box.

This is a No No! If the person that broke in my driver-side door glass had been after my car and not just my wife's purse, and had known about the valet key being in the glove box, he could have crawled through the window, gotten hold of the key, put it in the ignition and started the engine, and thus deactivated the security system.

So I have made my trunk impervious to entrance by any methodology other than the regular car key, or a crowbar, and will keep my valet key there. The valet key, as I am sure you are aware, will only work on the doors or the ignition switch.
    Thanks for the info but most everyone knows that you should NEVER keep your valet key or spare key in the confines of your car. Just asking for trouble...
    your right life does go on but you know deception in any form is not right. I know it's everywhere but if you were in an office with the dealership and a regional corporate rep, where there was a screaming match going on and finger pointing at each other, and my wife and I were victims that just happen to want to try something new you might feel a little different. Especially when you have bought 3 cars at this dealership. However the California Headquarters is now in the loop and you would be surprised how the plot thickens, hopefully the truth will eventually be revealed. PS I have to say Honda has never done us wrong but we just wanted a change and boy did we get one. Again you get what you pay for and that goes for quality, service, and everything in between that you don't even think might occur. after the sale...... :lemon:
    Please let us know how this turns out. Hopefully it will be a positive ending to a very bad situation for both you and your wife.

Enjoy your weekend my friend!
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Your dealer is certainly not like my Hyundai dealer - thank goodness! They would stand on their respective heads to make their customers happy. Thankfully, I've not needed any intervention with the District or Regional Rep as my Hyundai has been perfect since purchase, not like the last Honda I owned. It had 3 warranty claims, and repairs, within the first 6 months of ownership. A specific sample of a car manufactured by any company can have troubles, and unfortunately it looks like it's statistically your turn.
    :lemon: You know your right all may have problems, but it is the WAY the problems are resolved that makes the difference. What people seem to forget is who is the customer that spent that hard earned money to buy their product. Quality and Customer service is what has gotten the US businesses in the shape they are in. Believe it or not LOST LOYALTY especially in the auto industry can be a killer. PS my situation truly boarders the lemon law of our state but if Hyundai recognizes this then they admit to fault and thats it in a nut shell. Their new slogan Rethink Everything "you bet I will"
  • johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    Sorry to hear about your Sonata problems. The gas tank noise "swish swish" has been a well-documented problem on this forum. The dealer never offered me baffles, but it doesn't bother me enough to worry about it. It usually is worse when the tank is full, but I don't pay attention to it anymore.

Hope all turns out okay for you!
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    How distressing to hear of your problems. To date my dealer has been the total opposite to what you have experienced. I bought my 06 Sonata LX6 11 months ago and my Azera Limited 3 months ago. The service department has been just great. When I recently discussed the rear suspension situation on the Sonata the service manager told me although Hyundai was initially authorizing a fix on 07 Sonatas, with the problem, he had no problem doing my car and I am setting up an appointment to have the "fix". Now I have come from several years of having Acura TL's so I was hesitant to make a change to Hyundai, but to date both the sales end and the service people have been above reproach. I hope that you can resolve your dilemma. :)
  • xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    Hello everyone. I'm a new Sonata owner. Got the '07 Platinum Edition. I also own an '03 Elantra GT. My question is -- and i'm sure this issue has been raised by other owners as well -- is there any way to reduce the loud, annoying warning chime? I've heard that you can put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker to lower the sound, but it involves opening the center console. Anyone else heard of this, or better yet, attempted this and was successful? I'd love to hear about it. I don't know how you guys can tolerate it, but I don't think I can for much longer. Thanks.
    xj220 - I am one that originally posted finding the chime and quieting it down. Yes, you have to remove the center console to get to it as it's located inside the Body Control Module...a little black box with a computer in it that controls most of the vehicles electrical functions. It's located directly below where the tray is to the right of the cigarette lighter plug. The chime is mounted near the top left front of the BCM box and is easily noticeable as it looks like a speaker grill.

I first put a black piece of electrical tape over it and then a piece of clear shipping tape so the electrical tape doesn't come off over time. Quieted it down nicely. Now a pleasant muted tone versus the annoying chime.

It takes about 30 minutes to remove the center console. No big deal. Get the diagram off of the HMASERVICE website. The only warning is that the drawings and directions are not as detailed as you would like and you need to be somewhat mechnically inclined to get it out as a few steps are missing.

If you have never been to the HMA website, it's www.hmaservice.com

You can register free and find a lot of great stuff about your Hyundai. If you have any questions, my e-mail is public so click on my name and shoot me an e-mail if you wish to chat off-line.
    Check out this link. I just went to the Hyundai website to compare a Sonata to another manufacturer's vehicle, and it states the GLS, SE, and Limited (per se) have been discontinued! Replacements include: GLS XM, SE XM, and Limited XM. No other info available, but it looks simply like an update to include XM radio. Why Hyundai would change the actual trim nomenclature is beyond me??

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/comparison/comparison.aspx?vehicle=Sonata
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Possible reasons:

1) Consistency with the Azera's nomenclature...
    2) Someone in the Nomenclature Department needed a makework project to justify his position...
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Here is a press release from Hyundai Canada regarding XM (hot off the press):

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/December2006/04/c3207.html

Hyundai Sonatas and Santa Fes coming off the Alab. plant line have been equipped with XM as early as October so the timing sounds right they should be reaching dealers now...
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Why would anyone want to pay to listen to a radio....when you can load your own CDs and listen to music you want for free.
    Hyundai's are cheaply made and are getting cheaper drive a 2006 and then a 2007 tell me the quailty drive and ride are the same. I have a 2006 and bought a 2007 not even close. In fact while my 2007 was constantly in the shop I drove the salesmens car and the :mad: :mad: day I started driving it I called him and said your Sonata is a 2006 he said your right how did you know I said the RIDE, THE DRIVE, THE SOUNDNESS,. Most auto mfgr put out a flagship year to get the rep then starts the cuts. Remember Saturns the first couple of years you could not kill those cars after that mine dropped a transmission at 51,000 and they told me it was normal ware and tare right!
    I don't know but you can defn. ask the millions and millions subscriber of XM and Sirius ;)
    Unless I am missing something, 06 and 07 are the same
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Just an update. I had complained about my engine ticking after I bought the car and had the oil changed at our dealership. Found a TSB about aftermarket filters having a different pressure drop than OEM filters and thought I would give it a try. The difference was like night and day. I drove 1000 miles listening to the ticking/rattling coming from my car and was beginning to not like my 06 Sonata. Very glad I had my service dept. use a factory oil filter. If anyone out there hass an 06 with the I4 engine and have this problem....make the change. It made a big difference on mine.

Also bought a hood deflector from autowebaccessories, gave my front end an attitude. Easy to self install and the turn around time from order to delivery was just a few days. Anyone purchase a wind deflector for the sunroof? How does it install? Looks like it might clamp on like the hood deflector did. Did it help the wind noise?

By the way, I LOVE my car. Sorry for those who have one that has problems.
    I found a TSB that stated they changed the chime "logic" timing to have it chime when the car was intially started and as long as it wasn't moving over 6 MPH the chime didn't come back on....that would be an improvement. After that it came on as long as you were driving over 6 MPH and didn't have your seat belt buckled. This started somewhere around the Sept 06 build I think. I called the local Hyundai dealer service dept. and asked if they could install that "logic" which seems logical (aye Mr. Spock) on my 06 Sonata. They told me they couldn't change any safety issues without a recall. Can those of us who have a Sonata that chimes whether you are driving or not start a campaign? Seems like our safety is at issue here, or should I say the cars safety. I want to beat the crap out of that chime. So does my dog when I am not in the car and it's running. :shades:
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Hyundai's are cheaply made and are getting cheaper drive a 2006 and then a 2007 tell me the quailty drive and ride are the same. I have a 2006 and bought a 2007 not even close. In fact while my 2007 was constantly in the shop I drove the salesmens car and the day I started driving it I called him and said your Sonata is a 2006 he said your right how did you know I said the RIDE, THE DRIVE, THE SOUNDNESS,. Most auto mfgr put out a flagship year to get the rep then starts the cuts. Remember Saturns the first couple of years you could not kill those cars after that mine dropped a transmission at 51,000 and they told me it was normal ware and tare right!

Man I have listened to you whine now for twenty posts. You want to know a real lemon you should have had the 1988 Chevy Corsica we had. Your problems wouldn't even classify as blemishes compared to that piece of work. We got it new and 3 months into ownership it started acting possessed. Of course when we took it to the dealership, everything worked fine. Just as an example of stuff I remember going wrong..
    1) Rear windows wouldn't roll up, motors and switches replaced twice.
    2) Car went through 7 alternators.
    3) ECU, replaced 4 times, chip in it replaced twice.
    4) AC unit required repair every year and we owned the car for 10 years (long story, bankruptcy, couldn't buy another car for 7 years. This cost $750 a year X 9 years out of warranty. Can't have a car in Louisiana without AC.
    5)Cruise control locked up at 70 mph and would not disengage. Had to burn up and replace 2 disk brakes and re-hone the drums after it nearly killed us trying to stop it. Yeah Chevy said they couldn't locate a problem.
    6)Cassette Tape deck ate tapes on a regular basis. Learned to live with FM.
    7) Exhaust manifold warped twice. Second time we replaced it the mechanic broke the bolts and didn't tell us, causing us to have to replace the oxygen sensor several times.
    There were more items but you get the picture. Fortunately you got rid of yours early. We lived with that crap for 10 years before we junked it.

5)
    Thanks cableguy. I just registered to that site and will check out on obtaining the diagram shortly. I'm not exactly a skilled handyman, but I've fiddled with cars in the past. I took apart the door on my Eclipse and fixed an issue with the driver's side panel.

My dealer said he got the car the same day I purchased it (11/29). I believe him as there were only 13 miles on it. But alas, my car does not come with XM, seek buttons on the steering wheel, nor the new chime configuration. :(
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    To claim a car is a LEMON just because of gas sloshing?...

From reading this thread, I am not clear (using commas and periods would have helped...), was the original poster driving Hondas up to now, or is this a repeated Hyundai customer....

Either way, the LEMON might be the DEALER, certainly not the said car... But bad dealers you can find ANYWHERE, including Toyota and Honda dealers.

I suggest to the original poster start enjoying his car.
    After some thought, I have decided not to open up the center console as (A) the car is too new for me to start taking taking things apart and (B) I'm lazy.

I did find an opening (a horizontal slit just above the power outlet) where the sound is mostly coming out of. I have sealed it off with electrical tape and I have to say, it did a good job in reducing the noise. Enough so, that I am no longer annoyed by it nor embarassed when I have passengers. I recommend this method for those who want a quick fix to that loud, annoying warning chime. And the seal is unnoticable thanks to the buldge of the cigarette lighter/tray compartment. :)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Depending upon the size of the slit, maybe a piece of foam or rubber (like what my old cell phone had to cover the car charger slot) could be used. It might reduce the sound more and should be completely out of sight.
    Please excuse me, xj220, but I really don't understand the level of consternation you have with the chime decibel level. The only time I hear the chime is when I put the key in the ignition either before shutting the door, or belting up - which is only a few seconds at best. And, when we exit the car, the key is out of the ignition, so we hear no chime.

I don't leave the key in the ignition with the door(s) open at any time, and all of us always wear our seat belts, so the chime is not a problem.

However, if one doesn't wear the seat belt, I can understand the need to shut it off, or at least, quiet it down a bit.

This is a far cry for the nasty sound of the seat belt warning device - not a chime, but a loud buzzer - in my SAAB 900. I will take Hyundai's chime any day of the week over the loud buzzer in my SAAB.
  • interceptor2interceptor2 Member Posts: 12
    Thats an excellent tip on the Chime noise.!
    How many of you v6 owners have the 225 tire thats advertised in the brochere?.. I have the top line model with the skinner 215 tires. I've seen the I4 with 225's .. and you can notice a difference. the 225 make the car look just muscular enough to transform the Audi look. the skinner tires look weak especially with mud guards that are wider. Also i put on an aluminum billet grille in front.. what a differance.. and debagded the "hyundai "and "sonata "off the rear.. and added a lip spoiler. people are now unsure as to what car it is.. and its styling merits now shine through with little discrimination. Only the emblem identifies it as a hyundai and most people don't know the emblem as it is alone.
    Its funny how some people purchase a car and immediately are trying to ALTER it....

So you have the low-profile 215 tires (which are standard with your model) but you want to change them to the regular 255 tires (and shhh... this is a secret... they are also giving the car a lot more comfortable ride, btw...).

While so many others have the regular tires, and are yearning to replace them with the low-profile ones.

Maybe you can find each other here and do the SWAPING?
    Don't 255mm width tires use an even lower profile (shallower sidewall), expressed as a number representing the percentage of the sidewall dimension compared to the tread width, than 215mm width tires in order to achieve the same overall diameter to maintain adequate fender well clearance? Lower profile tires exhibit less sidewall flex for improved handling performance. But that also results in harsher ride characteristics.
    You're actually right, Ray.

The 2 tires we're discussing are:

P215/60R16

and

P225/50R17

Since the 17" is the low-profile tire, obviously it's the 225, not the 215. I think the original poster mixed things up, and I didn't notice it.
    Mine came with 215/55/17 (which are standard for all V6 models now). I think that's what the original poster was referring to. I know the 2006 and older 2007s came with 225/50/17.
  • interceptor2interceptor2 Member Posts: 12
    Changing it to suit my personality... unfortunately i come from a "snobby family" that looks down on anything not lexus ,Audi ect... I'm proud of my hyundai but mud guards/ lip spoiler and a billet front grille make it look much more prestigous and it didn't cost but another 600 bucks.. considering the great value of this car.. i think "tweeking its look to be different" is a good idea.. My car looks no where even close to yours with these simple add ons to the front shape the side shape and the rear.. i guarantee if you saw this same example in black with Black chrome grille. It would be downright sensous. mine is Silver.
    Ok the 17 inch euroflang wheels come with either 225 or 215 width tires .. same profile.. not 255.. the 10 mm diference about 1/2 inch would make for slightly better traction and i'd suppose a smoohter ride ..not to mention the increase in width give it a more masculine stance..+ an extra 2 inches of contact patch 1/2x 4. I was a bodybuilder judge i definitely can tell the difference immediately.. and as i said the 225 is just right.... Ideally theses cars should have 18's or a slightly lower ride height..

Remember this car can 0-60 in 6.5-7.0 and has a top speed of 140... not sure about 147 but i'll be letting you all know. i bought this car as a shuttle vehicle for my elderly parents. It was not my choice for me. but it is awesome.. and i do love this vehicle.

Any GlS owners with the 17 euroflange rims and 225's wanna switch.. I'm posturing at the dealership that i bought a platinum edition.. the top of top of the line..and i want the 225.. it makes no sense as it is in the brochure for limited 225 or 215 (later availability) No one here is going to tell me the 215 is a better tire they are the same except for width only.. and as platinum owner i want the best tire available and th means the bigger one period...and i will make a big stink about it.. you might imagine i payed a bit more for the platinum ;)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    For reasons that I believe relate to ride harshness and road noise from the tires Hyundai switched from 225/50R17 to 215/55RX17's on all later build 2007 models with a V-6. This you know but what we don't really know is any difference in actual contact patch. Well, I don't know for sure anyhow and to that end I have emailed Michelin who provides the tires for the Sonata asking for any differences in width/contact patch between those sizes. Stay tuned. Without actually knowing I would guess the difference is miniscule though. By the way, Hyundai is responding to the majority of owners (those who have complained anyhow)concerned with road noise and ride harshness and it is a good thing they listen. In my personal opinion 50 series tires don't really belong on a family sedan or one not carrying the BMW,Accura or Mercedes name plate anyhow. I also have fairly low profile tires (55 series) on my 2006 Civic and I am bordering on hating them for the above reasons.
    It is sometimes better to look at things simplistically. The lower the profile or aspect ratio of the tire, the harsher the ride. The choice of materials in the overall tire design can impact this of course. More importantly, the lower the profile, and the greater the contact patch area, the possibility exists of poorer performance in the wet. These are generalities, and the latter critically depends on tread design, but is more often than not, true. Wide profile tires can be a handful in wet performance, i.e. driving in the rain.

The sidewall of a tire, most specifically in a radial tire design, is part of the overall suspension system, and technically is part of the unsprung weight. Unless spring rates, shock rates, etc. are compensated accordingly, going to a lower profile tire will increase ride harshness.

The old bias-ply designs typically had an aspect ratio of 80. Then, 78-series, 75-series, 70-series, and so on became the norm, especially when radial tires started to become popular in the USA in the late 1960s.

For those contemplating the purchase of a Sonata, go to any tire store, or tirerack.com, and compare the prices of the 16" tires used on the GLS vs. 17" tires on the Limited. BIG difference in price . . . I would concur with targettuning - very low aspect ratio tires have no business on family sedans, or for anyone driving on normal streets filled with potholes in this country.
    )) "...what we don't really know is any difference in actual contact patch." ((

Actually we do know - the 225mm width tire is 10mm (1cm) wider than the 215mm width tire. These numbers reference the tread width. Between the slightly increased tread width and the stiffer, low-profile sidewall, cornering ability will be slightly improved. But low profile tires' advantages always come at the cost of harsher ride characteristics. More rubber on the road increases traction. But, again there's a penalty involved - reduced tire life and fuel economy. (Better traction when cornering is the result of increased rolling resistance to vehicle direction change.)
    True the contact patch will be slightly larger for a lower profile/one size wider tire with all other things being equal.Also true wider tires can and will hydroplane sooner than a narrower tire and provide poorer snow traction than a narrower tire as well, again with all things being equal. BUT, the other poster seems hung up on a macho wide shouldered look and didn't care about all the side issues with wider tires so I decided to query Michelin to see if the contact patch difference between these two sizes(which seemed to interest him the most)was enough to sue Hyundai (a figure of speech)over. I doubt it.
    Ah, hardly enough to justify the purchase of 4 tires dismount, remount and rebalance them...at least for me. Only 1 silly cm wider with not much to gain but much more to loose. I guess what you want is what you want regardless!
    Hey Interceptor,
    Which spoiler did you buy? Hyundai's, Stude? Was it painted? How much did you spend?
    Thanks
    I was looking at rear spoilers too. Found some really nice raised one's on e-bay with the built-in brake light already painted with an excellent warranty for as little as $118.00. Lifetime against cracking, etc. Personally, I don't care for the lip design but to each their own. It appears that everyone is selling the same manufacturer based on the details so look at price first and then see if the responses are positive so you can feel comfortable they will take care of you if you should experience a problem.

Installation should be very easy if you have the right tools.
    Hey Cableguy.....Thanks for the Ebay tip!
    Not sure my Sonata is ready for a wing. Don't think it would look quite right with the vent visors, hood guard and sunroof wind deflector I put on (or will when it gets here). But I may change my mind. The wings are cheaper than the lip spoiler.

You might know this, what does the "NF" stand for when I am looking at specs and parts, etc.?