Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    TTL = tax, title, and license
  • canman99canman99 Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks.
    I hope this isn't the wrong forum, but today I believe I made A deal on A 06 Silver GSL Sonata with sunroof, alloy wheels, mp3 and 8100 miles.Carfax says one owner, then sold at auction to the car lot.
    The salesman from the family owned used car lot, (non dealership),told me they have been in business 9 years.I don't think I got the sleaze vibe from him, but you never know.

They were voted best used car dealership in the local newspaper here, Inverness, Florida.They are called WiseWay Auto Sales Inc. ,and are in Ocala Florida.

I agreed to A cash Out The Door price of $16800.00
    Test drove the and liked it very much.
    The Salesman agreed to let me take it to my mechanic for a complete inspection on Monday.If every thing checks out fine, I said I could have a cashiers check for him later in the day.

I have a few questions if any of you folks would be kind enough to answer.This is pretty much the most money I have spent in my entire life and there is no room for mistakes.

Question....
    The salesman says there is a little less than 4 and A half years left on the warranty.How Can I contact Hyundai to confirm this?

Question....
    Could anyone please tell me what my warranty would cover?

Question....
    aAre there any problems I should have my mechanic look for that might affect warranty coverage?

Also I was looking over the price breakdown sheet (no contract, just a general breakdown , and it reads as follows....

$15487.00 ( guess the actual price of my car)

$287.00 (preprinted on the sheet for administrative fees, preperation of documents affidavits,, and temp tag (if applicable), inspecting, cleaning and preparing documents related to sale.

$971.44 (Florida Sales Tax)

$55.00 (estamated License Fee)

Total ...

$1800.44

Does this sound like the price I aggreed to, $16800.00 Out the Door?
    Is he gonna try to stick me with any Taxes, or Title , and registration fees?

Are there any other fees later on that i will be responsible for , that I should be aware of?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

I sure hope this all works out allright,
  • wcw1wcw1 Member Posts: 44
    Seems high for a used 2006 GLS. If you shop aggressively you can get a 2007 GLS equipped as you stated for about $18,000 OTD. Hyundai is offering $1000 rebate and another $1000 rebate from Hyundai Finance if you finance through them, 6.9% for 72 months. Less % for less years. I assume you don't own a Hyundai now but if you do you can get another $500 rebate. I don't want to spend your money but if it were me I would go for the brand new 2007 for about $1200 more. The warranty on the Hyundai is 60 months from the date of the original purchase and/or a total of 60,000 miles. So you would have to know the date of the original purchase to figure the months. You would have about 51900 miles left on the mileage portion of the warranty. The car is probably about a year and a half old (guessing) so you would have about three and one half years of warranty based on months.

So for about $1200 you get a new car with the full warranty and some mechanical improvements.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Is that GLS a V6 or a 4 cyl.? That's quite important here, to be able to judge the price....

You need to spend some time researching on Edmunds and cars.com for used cars' prices....

The 2007 GLS that wcw1 is mentioning -- is a 4cyl. Yes, I would visit your Hyundai dealer on Saturday, and see what kind of a sweat deal he can get you... BUT ALSO, ASK WHAT ALL THE "EXTRAS" ARE, LIKE HOW MUCH THEY'LL CHARGE FOR DOC FEES, WHICH IN FL CAN GET TO $500...

And, btw, you can take the loan, so to get an extra rebate (if aplicable), as wcw1 mentions -- and repay it after one month... At least that's what I did, here in Illinois.

Otherwise, of course, you still have to INSURE the car and pay yearly taxes like license and city sticker...
    It's a V6 and the steering wheel has leather and stereo controlls. The sales man said it was purchased July 2007 so I believe it would have 53 or 54 months left on the warranty.The salesman said i would get 2 or 3 years of service, (free oil changes tire rotations and such) too, at their shop.

He also said the car is certified. Whatever that means.I didnt think Hyundai certified their used cars.

So I could get maybe $2000.00 in rebates if I went with a new 4cly? I dont work, (disabled) and my credit score is about 580 as of last week.When it gets updated it will go higher, as i just paid off all my credit card debt ,$5500.00 last week.

What would be a fair price for this car?
    Just talked to the salesman and was assured the price we agreed on is truely an OTD price.I dont expect to have any supprises.Im feeling better about all of this now.
    I believe only an authorized Hyundai dealer can sell a Certified Hyundai used car. Is the dealer you are buying from a a Hyundai dealership? If not I don't see how it can be certified.

The certification program includes:

Certified Used Vehicle Programs for Hyundai

Hyundai Certified used vehicles must be less than four years old and have less than 48,000 miles. Each vehicle includes:

* 120 point inspection
    * Special financing
    * A warranty of 6 years/75,000 miles from in-service date
    * Powertrain component coverage under the 5 year/60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty
    * No exchange policy
    * $0 service deductible
    * $0 Transferable warranty
    * Roadside Assistance

o Including: Towing, Lock-out, Flat tire, Battery failure
    Canman, I don't think you're taken for a ride with this price on a V6 car. The price is an OK price.

BUT, I'd rather buy a used Sonata from a Hyundai dealership, so that if there is any issue -- they treat you as their customer. This used car dealer has NO IDEA what he's selling you, as far as the condition of the car... He purchased it at a GREAT price (auctions are the places to find great deals), without any idea of what exactly he's buying.

Also, was the price you were quoted -- the result of any NEGOTIATION? Or is this what your used car dealer quoted when you first asked him?... 'cause as you MUST know, even on a NEW car, bought at the dealership -- you negotiate the price...
    The original advertised price was $17000.00 , that is before taxes, and any other associated fees needed to get the car on the road, and in my name.
    I did test drive A 2006 LX with leather power seats, and a sunroof, and 21000 miles, at the local Hyundai dealership here. I offered $16000.00 ,(their advertised price was $17900)out the door for it , but they didnt want to even deal.

Im wondering if I should get the GLS inspected at the Hyundai dealership, in addition to my mechanic inspecting it also.I called yesterday and asked.When I finally was able to speak to their service dept.,they said they could inspect it. The first call I made to them regarding an inspection got me immediately transfered to the sales dept..
  • hyowner2007hyowner2007 Member Posts: 5
    History: camber/caster can't be aligned through normal alignment process. Well, this gets more interesting by the day. My Hyundai dealer told me that Hyundai is aware of this issue. They also said that I could be driving along and my car could break down. I've been told there isn't a recall or even a TSB for this. How can that be if I could get in an accident because of this? They also said I'd have to pay for the alignment after the fix is done. Why?
    Of course, your local Hyundai dealer would be accused of being impartial when checking a car that's offered by ANOTHER dealer, so if they give it a passing score, you probably have a good car in your hands. Also, this is your opportunity to have your "foot in their door" which is good for the future. I'd tell them you're gonna service your car there (change the oil, which, as you may know, needs a SPECIAL oil filter that very few, if ANY regular shops have)...
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Are you using "OTD" as the terminology is meant, meaning it includes all taxes and fees? If so and if condition & milage are similar, the '06 LX OTD is a better deal than a GLS @ $17K plus taxes and fees.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    $16,800 OTD sounds really good if it is indeed a Hyundaie Certified Pre-owned Car.

That 6 years and 75,000 mile warranty is worth something. If I were you I'd also insist on a written guarantee that the car has not been damaged and/or in an accident too. Even if it looks good the repair may cause problems down the road. The fact that it was such a new car with low miles being sold at an auction should raise a HUGE red flag to anyone thinking of buying it.
    2006 GLS=$16800.00 Out The Door (all taxes and fees are included)

Totaling $16800.00

2006 LX=$17900.00 Plus taxes and any other fees they can dream up (Which I am GUESSING, could be between $1500.00 and $2000.00 Xtra)

Totaling $19400.00 to $19900.00
  • llamaniallamania Member Posts: 25
    http://www.automotiveworld.com/WVMA/content.asp?contentid=58624

US: Hyundai claimed to have five months' inventory backlog
    By Automotive World staff writer (DI)
    26 February, 2007
    Source: Automotive World

Hyundai Motor is reportedly trying to clear out its inventory in the US. As at the end of January, the OEM's inventory totalled 171,000 units, the equivalent of a 5.1-months' supply, South Korean news service Yonhap has reported.
    The vehicle manufactu...
    So, what did you end up doin' canman?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    So, what is your point? I would bet every manufacturer has accumulated a large inventory over winter since traditionally winter is a slow selling season. Check GM..Ford and others for large inventories.
  • llamaniallamania Member Posts: 25
    US Inventory Troubles Hyundai Motor

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200702/kt2007022618490011880.htm
    By Kim Yon-se
    Staff Reporter

Hyundai Motor is selling cars at a clearance discount in the United States as its price competitiveness has weakened and inventory of its Santa Fe and Sonata models has piled up.

Its inventory reached 171,000 units in January at its corporations and dealerships there, up 36 percent from 125,000 units a year before. The figure includes some 100,000 Sonatas produced in Hyundai’s Alabama plant.

The automaker’s U.S. market inventory has been increasing since late 2004 in accordance with the won’s gradual appreciation against the dollar over the past few years.

After reaching a record high of 173,000 units in February 2005, its stockpile inched down for several months before bouncing back.

The company’s clearance of inventory accelerated after it launched U.S. sales of the New Santa Fe, a popular sport utility vehicle (SUV) model in Korea.

Consumers are buying the initial model of the Santa Fe with its 2.7-liter engine for $17,695, 22-percent off its regular price of $21,695. Those cars were imported from Korea while the New Santa Fe is being produced in the Alabama plant.

``The stockpile has increased as consumers book for the made-in-Alabama Santa Fe,’’ a Hyundai spokesman said. ``But we believe it will be sold soon thanks to bargain sales.’’

Hyundai also started discounts for its NF Sonata sedan last year, offering a reduction of $2,500-$3,000 for the vehicle.

The spokesman said the large discount is a habitual corporate marketing practice, though profitability could worsen, adding, ``Discounting is better than stockpiling.’’

Analysts say Hyundai Motor’s bargain sales could undermine its profitability and spark criticism among Korean consumers, even though the company expects the discount to help boost its sales in the U.S. market.

In Korea, the initial model of Santa Fe was sold for about 30 million won ($31,600), much more expensive than the discounted price of $17,695 in the U.S.
    So then you have no real point other than a Korean news release indicaticates that the "old" Santa Fe is being sold more frequently because of a large discount? Also a gradual increase of the value of the won verses the dollar has prompted an increasing inventory. News for you...the value of the dollar verses the yen, euro etc has always dictated the price of "foreign" cars to some degree and the Japaneese have frequently been accused of "dumping" their vehicles at less than cost to sell in the USA. This kind of corporate manipulation has always happened. It all comes out in the wash and Hyundai,due to discounts helping in the selling-out of the older models of its various brands will do fine.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Just possibly the point might be that Hyundai will probably have to increase dealer incentives and/or customer rebates so as to move their inventory glut.

Just a thought.
    The Japanese have stopped their "dumping" practices LONG ago... They just don't NEED it anymore, and haven't in the past 10 years, at least.... Maybe Detroit needs to start that practice?...

And I don't know what Hyundai's "selling-out of the older models" you're talking about, targettuning.
    Well, the article seems to indicate the "older" Santa Fe's made in Korea are being heavily discounted. You are probably aware there is now a new version. The Elantra was just totally redesigned for 2007 so I presume there may be some of the older or previous design left on some lots. And finally while it has been a litle while the Accent was also totally redesigned and there MAY be some of the older versions of those around too. So yeah there are older models of at least three of Hyundai's model line-up that have been recently redesigned.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    I almost bought my Silver 2007 Sonata I4 with premium package (power driver seat, etc.) for 17k OTD. The car is very clean with only 13 miles on it. The dealership has about 8 I4 Sonatas with different colors. I think the Silver color with the premium package is all I need at this time. The red color is also great. I almost chose the red one but I feel the silver is more conservative. I am 45 years old.

I was lucky because before I signed the papers I received a call from another dealer I talked to him earlier. He told me to come for a lower price and a better rate. Then the war broke between the two dealers! I am not going to talk about that Hahahahaha. I was able to get it for $16300 including taxes and everything and it also includes the premium package with the many great features and mats. I figured out the price to be below 15500 given the tax is 5%. Also, I got a really low inetrest rate from Hyundai. This is unbelievable. A great car fully loaded for 15K. The dealership was great. They cleaned the car and filled the tank.
    The car drives straight without leaning toward right or left. It is stable at high speed without any steering shaking. As you know shaking in new cars is due to wheel alighnment in most cases. I went up to 80 miles per hour for a short period of time to test the car. I kept the speed below 60 mph most of the time.
    The Toyota Camry with the same specs will cost over 21K. There is over 5k in savings. This is significant. Also, Hyundai warranty is great. The price of the car plus the interest during the next 5 years is 2000 dollars less than the Camry.
    Congratulations! You got a great deal, aalsherri. It's always the consumer's advantage when two dealers are fighting a war over him. I say: Make war, not love.

Enjoy the car! And, btw, if you took the loan in order to get an extra Hyundai rebate (or dealer's discount) you can probably (it may differ from one state to another) REPAY your loan in full -- after one monthly payment...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The IIHS just published a report on low-speed crash tests for mid-sized cars. The results show that the bumpers on today's cars don't do as well protecting other components as did bumpers from years ago, before standards were loosened. The Sonata finished 12th out of 17 in terms of overall repair cost, but it was the best performer in the "rear full" test. The article notes that Hyundai beefed up the rear bumper in anticipation of the tests.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr030107.html
    Any one has information about the Sonata long term reliability? How about rust resistant and parts quality?
    I got 6.50% interest rate from Hyundai. I was not qualified for the low 5.29% due to my score. BTW the rate is about 2 points less than the local bank quote.
    I am a new owner as you know. I usually change the oil in my cars by myself to be sure I am doing a good job. I leave the car bleed till most of the oil is discharged (about 15 minutes) and change the filter whenever I change the oil. Now I am having a new car, what should I do?
    I am planning to use sythetic oil after the break-in period. I don't mean the 2000 miles but the actual mileage when the pistons seat properly. I read it may take 20000 miles to reach that stage. Any opinions?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Congrats on your new Sonata. Keep doing what you have done in the past every 3000 miles. My only suggestion is buy the OEM Hyundai filter. Aftermarket filters can have a different pressure drop and cause knocking/ticking.
    Long Term? The car has been around in the USA for less than 2 years, so obviously there is NO long term reliability information yet...

But based on the TREND Hyundai has been showing with all of their products in past years, it is logical to expect GOOD scores.
  • morty66morty66 Member Posts: 9
    My 2006 Sonata does not have the outside temperature feature and I really miss that. Where is a good place to buy a mirror that has the outside temperature feature? I've already looked at Ebay. And any idea of how hard this is to install and how long it will take? Friend is a mechanic, and he thinks it will take less than an hour.
  • johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    I changed the oil at 3,000 miles with synthetic oil. I have changed it every 7-10k since that point. I have close to 30k miles on the car now. I noticed a very slight increase in fuel economy, but what I like best is not having to change it quite so frequently. I have also used the Pep Boys PureONE filter exclusively and not the OEM. Very well-constructed filter and I have no noise problems that others have complained about.

By the way, I do not need to hear about the owners guide recommended oil change intervals. I've had enough oil analysis done in the past that I know for a fact the 3k change period is BS. No, I am not concerned with any warranty issues. :)
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    Hey guys I got a quick question (sorta irrelevant but)
    if I change the audio system would I still be able to use steering wheel audio control?
    Why "sorta irrelevant"?....

My logic says that if you use all the exsiting wiring to install a new audio system, everything should work OK.
    It would seem to me that it would depend on whether the new audio system has built in compatibility with the remote controls on the Hyundai. The remote controls were designed to be compatible with the OEM audio system. Check the new audio system before you buy if the remote controls are an issue with you.
  • dump_truckdump_truck Member Posts: 42
    not unless you buy the additional adaptor (PAC) for the steering wheel controls.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    Highly unlikely, unless it was a special head unit designed to replace the existing model in the Hyundai. Check with Crutchfield.com. You can also call their tech support and speak to someone about it.
  • duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    My mechanic a former Hyundai dealer master mechanic changed
    the oil only,in my '07 LTD.at 500 miles.Not the filter just
    the oil.Claims this is proper.There after he will change oil & filter every 3 months,since I don't put alot of miles on car.
    I'm no mechanic (a friend says I hardly know which end of a screwdriver to hold) but at only 500 miles on a new engine, I'd think changing the filter would be much more worth while than changing the oil.
    Being that his friend was a master mechanic and probably "oldschool", Oil was recommend to be changed at around 500 miles (1st oil change) to remove the oil of metal particules that shave off in a new engine. As the engine gets more use, it will "smooth" out and the metal particules will be less. Those metal particules are removed asap to prevent it from causing unnecessary wear/damage in the engine. I would think that the filter should also be replaced at the same time too, But I'm not mechanic, just a backyard one. I had my first oil changed at 1100 miles.... but I also don't drive the car that much. Had mine for 11 mths and only 4100 miles on it.
    It was the metal particles you mention that made me think changing the filter would be better than changing "just the oil." The oil wouldn't have broken down but the filter could have trapped these particles.
    Exactly! Possibly resulting in a clogged or poor flowing filter. NOT GOOD! But the filter doesn't trap everything, which would be why you'd want to change both. In one of my previous cars ('77 Volvo), I had a magnetic oil drain plug which I would still get minute metal particles attached to it even though the car was over 20yrs old and 200K+ miles on it.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/nightvisionsaftey_autodimmingmirrors.htm

Very nice...bought one in the past and it was fantastic. Excellent quality too!
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Pete,
    How much metal did you find attached to the magnet? I know I would start worrying if I found a lot of metal on it. I may buy one for myself.
    When I purchased my new motorcycle, I changed the filter and oil after 100 miles in order to get rid of the loose metal particles. Such particles can damage the bearings in a motorcycle but I have no idea about Sonata crank case. The dealer told me to bring the car after 3000 miles for "a free" oil change! Hahhahah
    Clever dealers
    But any cheap small magnet and will do the job. BTW, it works also in automatic transmission.
    I believe you should wait for at least 10000 miles. For motorcycles, you can start using synthetics after 3000 miles because the break-in period for sport motorcycles engines is shorter than in the auto engines. The reason is that the high performance motorcycle engine revs up to 16,000 rpm and it works in the 4000 to 10,000 rpm range most of the time. On te other hand, the auto engine works below 5000 rpm and it takes a longer period of time to break-in. I read an article long time ago that the auto engine may take over 30,000 miles to break in.
    For modern high performance auto engines, I feel a 20,000 miles is long enough.
    I bought a used Dodge Grand Caravan with over 150,000 miles on it. I started to use synthetic oil and the car is still running smooth. The mileage now is over 205,000 miles. After I bought it, I used DuraLube oil and I changed the transmission oil. I also used DuraLube transmission conditioner. The transmission is still in great shape. The bottom line is to take care of your car and it will serve you for a long time especially when you buy a new car like me.
    I read a story of a Saab car with over 1,000,000 miles on it. Yes one million miles on one engine with no rebuilding whatsoever. The owner mentioned that he changes the oil every 3000 miles and use synthetic oil.
    Question:
    Changing to Synthetic Oil in a New Car
    I have a new car. I have read not to change to a synthetic oil until there are some miles on the engine to give the rings a chance to seat. How long should I wait or how many miles should it be before I change to synthetic oil? Thank you for your time.

Answer:
    Modern vehicles can use Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil right from the factory. As evidence of this fact, more than 35 new car makes and models use Mobil 1 as factory fill. So there is no reason to wait to start enjoying the benefits of Mobil 1.
    Not true, any cheap magnet will NOT work for this application, and neither will magnetic drain plugs. For detailed reasons and more information on a magnet that will (and made specifically for the application) visit: www.filtermag.com I own several of these and talk about a powerful magnet. I bet a Honda service manager $50.00 that he could NOT pull one of these off a filter I had just bought...I was in for an oil change on our 2006 Civic and was adding one of these for the first time...he could NOT and neither could anyone else he called from the shop to try. No, I didn't collect the money as I was just trying to demonstrate the FilterMag. BTW FilterMag also makes a magnet specifically for auto transmission pans too.