Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    I beg to differ with you. I purchased my 2006 GLS Sonata in June of 06 and it indeed came with a flat wing type spoiler on it. My car has 6200 miles on it now and the only problem I have had was the replacement of one ABS ESC sensor on the left rear wheel. It was a warranty item. Sorry to include two different topics but I don't post here often.
  • poqiqipoqiqi Member Posts: 2
    Usa, ohio
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Then, you better contact the dealer immediately to get this taken care of.
  • oldvultureoldvulture Member Posts: 4
    This is my last post. My 2006 Sonata LX has been in the shop 1.5 hours for every hour it has been driven. This is a car, not a military helicopter. First Hyundai, last Hyundai.
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Here is what I know as fact. When researching the '06 Sonata on both Hyundai America web site and Edmunds, a rear spoiler was never mentioned as an accessory. My dealer even confirmed that Hyundai does not offer a spoiler for this car. A lot of dealers, however, do put aftermarket spoilers some cars in order to help sell them. Your spoiler was probably put on by the dealer because they know a spoiler really makes a car. If Hyundai Motor Co. does in fact offer a spoiler specifically designed for the Sonata, then I stand corrected.
  • randysrandys Member Posts: 4
    I live in Canada and I just bought a 2007 Sonata (my 4th Hyundai) and I just noticed something very weird - there appears to be 2 'patches' at the bottom of the back doors between the door and the rear wheel well on both sides of the car. Hardly noticable except when the car gets dirty.

Anyone seen this? Any idea why they're there? I haven't been back to the dealership but I thought I'd see if anyone can explain before going in.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Sonata Spoiler

You stand corrected. ;)
  • sportscoupesportscoupe Member Posts: 8
    The '07 Sonata Limited with platinum package comes with a factory spoiler. On other models it's either dealer installed or is available for order in your vehicle's color from Hyundai.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    These "patches" are made of what material? I have a Honda Civic that has clear vinyl "patches" in that exact location. They are there for stone chip protection because that area is prone to them.
    They match the colour of the body so they could very well be clear. Stone chip prevention was my first thought but I figured I'd better check it out just in case. In case of what I wasn't sure but since I'd never seen this before I had to ask.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    We all would be very interested to read what has been happening with your LX, oldvulture. Especially since there have been VERY few serious complaints about the new generation Sonata...

Can you tell us some more?
  • peggy5peggy5 Member Posts: 3
    I went to purchase an 06 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I found that when I was driving down the highway the glare off the shelf beneath the instrument panel was so awful I could not read the panel. It was wavy and absolutely could not be read. I am going to go back with someone else and drive it again but it wasn't my eyes!! Has anyone else had this problem?
    Sounds like a bait post to me. No issues posted, no intent to discuss it further. Inflamatory final statement "last post-last Hyundai" stuff. Well alrighty then!!!
    I actually checked out that poster's past posts here, and he had 2 minor issues, which -- as I understand -- were solved, one of them was poor AM reception...
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I do stand corrected. :blush: I also do remember that spoiler now, but also remember thinking it too understated for my taste. Barely noticeable. This is the one I chose for my black '06 Sonata. http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/06Sonata80L-web.jpg

I'm interested to see what they have done for '07 Limited.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    I have it on my '06 GLS and I believe it's on all of the Sonatas. It's probably exactly what targettuning said, stone chip protection.
    Thanks - I assume it probably is - now I can sleep at night.
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I don't own a sonata, but if you had polarized sunglasses on and the instrument panel is polarized it can cause a wavy and/or rainbow effect and/or total black out. I don't know if this was the cause but it could be.
    NEVER heard or read about this kind of a problem before, not with the new generation Sonata, at least...... It actually sound very weird... Are you sure this is a Sonata, you're driving?

Now if you were talking about the '03-'07 ACCORD, than I would respond with "welcome to the club"...
  • krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    Suddenly, the airbag light turned on and is staying on after the car has started. I am taking it to the dealer soon. But just wanted to know, is this something serious?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Serious, yes. It means your airbag is not going to work. Get it to the dealer ASAP for your safety.
    Are referring to the PASSENGER AIR BAG light, or the one on your instrument panel?

The first lights up whenever there is no passenger seated there, or a young passenger who weights under 110lb (I think), which is a Federal requirement safety feature.

If it's the 2nd, you better see your dealer soon. Probably a relay is loose or melfunctioning.
  • morty66morty66 Member Posts: 9
    My trip computer is always like 2 mpg high. Should I mention this to the service department. Also I can't get better than 27 or 28 mpg. I have a '95 sedan which is rated 18/26. This gets around 25 to 27 mpg during the summer. I do mainly highway driving at 50 to 55 mph with no stoplights. My Sonata is rated 24/33 and only gets a couple of mpg better. I've had it for 7 months. I'm kind of disappointed. How many miles do I need to get on the car before the gas mileage increases? Hopefully this isn't the best that it can do.
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    Currently have 25k on the odometer. The mpg topped out at about 15,000 miles & has held steady since. My trip computer has always been within 1 mpg. I double check it now & again. We get 36 mpg @ 65 mph 100% hiway,
    30 mpg @ 75 mph 100% hiway. Daughter drives 100% in town gets 17 mpg. I have driven as far as 505 miles on 1 tank then the gas light came on. We always use cruise control & keep tires at 35psi.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    My guess is a lot of people don't realize that cruise control does not necessarily increase fuel economy when compared to careful use of their right feet. What is does is to make driving much easier and less tiresome. It also can help a typical driver avoid speeding tickets if set properly. It also helps to keep trips to the minimum time.
    But for maximum fuel economy, a car driven carefully by a light-footed driver will usually get better mileage if the terrain is anything other than entirely flat and straight and dry. But that foot operated car probably take longer to get there.
    Ask an over the road trucker. Many of them are very skillful in stretching a gallon.
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    I agree that in theory & practice the statement you made about cruise vs non cruise use is true but in the real world people don't have the discipline you speak of.
    OK, problem SOLVED. Here, for future reference, for anybody complaining about a WHINING ENGINE:

The culprit was my Power Steering Pump. I was not able to make my own dealer agree to the existence of the noise (most dealers are just "deaf" and/or "dumb" when it comes to warranty work...), so I found an exceptionally good Hyundai dealership (Liberty Auto in Libertyville, IL) who was able to hear it very quickly, and after some testing found it to be the Power Steering Pump. Once it was replaced -- THE CAR IS NOW FREE OF ANY WHINING, WHEEZING OR (slow speed) MOANING...

Hallelujah .
  • canman99canman99 Member Posts: 6
    I lost one of the remotes to my 2006 Sonata.I can find replacements on the internet but they need to be programmed by A dealership or auto locksmith.Anybody have any idea of the cost to get one programmed?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's great! Thanks for the report, it's bound to be helpful to others.
  • krnxboy7krnxboy7 Member Posts: 11
    I have posted about this problem before, but I have some updates. I have noticed after the oil change, the noise has gotten little better. Dealership claims that the noise was coming from the oil filter housing. I only here the noise in low speed, first two gears. It will not make noise when I first drive in the morning, but if I drive to a store and come back out not too long after, it will make the noise. In other words, It will make the noise if I re-fire it up while the engine is still hot. if I rev the engine when it makes the noise, it stops. does anybody has any suggestions? I went to 3 different dealers like 5 time, but they can't figure it out. I am kinda tired to dealing with them. I have wasted enough time.
    First, if the dealer ACKNOWLEDGES the existence of an abnormal noise -- you're already in good shape... Then it's THEIR problem and job to fix it, no?

I would suggest taking the Serpentine belt off and test it again, to see if there noise still exist. If it doesn't -- that's an indication that the noise is coming from one of the belt-driven components (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Pulley, etc.).

How about performing another oil change (do you do it at the dealership, using OEM filter???), that's an easy, cheap way to test it...

Keep us posted....
  • purplnurpl98purplnurpl98 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for this bit of info. I am a newbie to the sonata, i just purchased an 06. next week i take it in to get the timing chain tensioner replaced. and since they are gonna have all that out why not do the pwr steering pump as well. i'm afraid i'm gonna get the run around at the dealer and i was wondering if you could tell me who you dealt with at Liberty Auto City in the service dept. that is familiar with this problem. in case my dealer gives me the run around i can put them in contact with them. Thanks.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Unless the power steering pump is defective, it's not going to be replaced under warranty. Why replace a nearly new pump if nothing is wrong with it? Don't waste your money.
    What Joe said.... If your car does not have a whining engine, based on what do you think any dealership would even touch anything in your engine? There was no TSB or any recall on the PS pump, so don't waste time on it.
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    For anyone contemplating buying a clear bra that is sold on ebay, save your money unless you have LOTS of time and can handle frustration very well. I just spent 3 hours (the ad says 30 minutes) and had to alter it majorly. The clear film will stretch slightly with heat, but will not shrink to fit reverse contours. It therefore wants to bunch up and form creases. I ended up cutting probably 1/3 of it away just to get some good out of it. Good luck to anyone brave enough to try it. :mad:
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I saw a car with a (maybe, give or take) 4 year old "clear mask" it had started to yellow and was starting to peel. Told me to never buy or recommend one. Others may have had good luck with them. Not sure. One thing that's for sure is having something like that done by a pro. They know the ins and outs of installation. Kind of like window tint.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Those films are a pain, the screen's and bra's can collect dust and abrade the paint.

I live in the deep South, and we have severe bug problems. It only takes a month or 2 of neglecting the bugs to get permanent paint damage. Simply waxing the frontal areas of the car, and not wiping the wax makes bug removal very easy and quick. They simply wash right off, with very little rubbing. Some waxes leave a heavy white film, and look very tacky. The wax I use (Meguiar's NXT)leaves a much lighter film, and doesn't show if you back up 20 feet and squint. ;)
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Two weeks old GLS V6 with sunroof, annoyed by the thumping/buzzing sound some where from the front. Finally tracked it down to the area inside the headliner around the sunvisor on the driver side. Any of these activities will create the noise.

1) With all windows shut, open and close any door.
    2) Flip down passenger sunvisor and snap it back. Same with driver sunvisor.
    3) Over bumpy road.

Putting the hand around that area kills the noise. Very easy to hear in cool weather..

Anyone with this problem? If, yes, how did the deal fix it?
    Going in tomorrow for dealer to fix.
  • purplnurpl98purplnurpl98 Member Posts: 2
    sorry i did fail to mention that i do in fact have the whining noise. upon acceleration it whines like banshee. there is no way anyone could deny hearing it.
    I understand it now, purplnurpl98.

But this board's regulations frobid me from posting people's names... I do it, and the post will be deleted.

But I'm sure that if you call and ask for the Service Advisor there, and even mention my case, the whining originating from the PS pump, he'll remember... Then you know you're talking to the right guy...
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    I went in for a headliner buzz noise for my 2 weeks old 07 Sonata and was told by the service rep that the keyless is not factory.
    Talked to sale manager because sale rep knew nothing after I signed the deal. His reply was:

I requested an extra keyless and key on the contract. The factory unit can only accept 2 keyless, the third will be none functional. Therefore, he paid someone to install an after market unit (and disable the factory unit) that accepts 3 keyless. He needs to paid that person again to remove it and reactivate the factory unit. If he still has some profit, I will get the third factory keyless as stated on the contract but will not be programmed.

We argued. Initially, no one knew the factory unit can only take 2 keyless. I raised hell that he should have call me about the problem rather than acting on his own by paying someone to install an aftermarket system.

I don't know how or where the aftermarket box is installed. Not even sure if any trims were removed during installation. Trims cannot be removed too many times without breaking! I suspect he only disconnected the wires to the factory unit and rewired them to the aftermarket unit at a central location, probably under the dash. There is probably one wire on the factory unit for enable and disable. Interesting that the red LED on the driver side dash is aware of the aftermarket unit.

The aftermarket keyless looks and feels cheap, no manufacture label, don't know who made it. I also found they don't work consistently, ex: it would not unlatch the trunk when I am next to it, but other times work perfectly. Not even sure how it affects the warranty.

Questions:
    1) Does the factory keyless work consistently all the time?
    2) The factory unit is good for only 10m from the manual, can someone confirm this? A bit short when trying to location the car in parking lot.
    3) Should I bother getting/forcing the dealer to revert back to the factory unit? May damage something else LOL.
    4) Should I insist on the third factory keyless regardless his profit level after the aftermarket unit removal? The contract listed extra keyless and key with all the signatures. It was him alone who decided to spent the money on the aftermarket without my consent. Why should I get hit from his mistake.
    5) Briefly, how does the factory keyless work. The aftermarket keyless is square, has 4 buttons: lock/unlock/trunk/panic. Headlight and horn flash once on lock, flash twice on unlock. Trunk button must be depress 1.5s to pop trunk. I found the range is not consistent. A few times, I was at arm length from the car and the keyless did nothing.

He will call tomorrow about his profit level, he gave me BS that the my deal was very tight (probably true) and his profit level is already very low. I would really want the 3 factory keyless. A bit confuse. Need some help.

Can someone please provide comment :confuse: .
    From previous experience on another Hyundai product (a 2003 Santa Fe) I can try to provide some information on several of your questions. I suspect the Sonata remote operation is very similar to our ex-Santa Fe.
    1)factory remote is/was 100% consistant unless battery becomes bad/low.
    2) factory remote on our S.F. opened the doors from over 100 ft away (estimated). So far in fact that the re-lock feature (re-locks doors if not opened within 30 seconds)actually would operate at times because I could't get to the car within the time frame.
    And finally there IS a limit on the number of factory remotes that can be programmed. Although I can't recall exactly I THINK 3. Hope this helps somewhat.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    That is true. Car salesman hate the internet buyers as they don't make any money off the sale. Where it gets tricky is if you have a tradein/neg equity, etc. But if you know what you want, buying through the internet can get you the best (or close to it) price on that vehicle.
  • duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    Whisper1,what did the dealer do to fix your buzz noise?
  • rhs63rhs63 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a '07 Sonata GLS. I like almost everything about the car, but the steering feels very sluggish and vague, especially when compared to my Toyota which is sharp and crisp. Can anyone second that? Is this by design?
    Yes, the Sonata's steering is a bit "vague" and I find it also a bit stiff. One of the only negatives I can find in this car, compared to both the Camry and the Accord, which I know intimately.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    The 07 SE I have has very good steering for both feeling and response. I have heard the GLS version with the smaller wheels has had some complaints in its reviews.
  • krnxboy7krnxboy7 Member Posts: 11
    I realized that after the oil change the noise is very minimal or completely gone. But comes back after about 300-500 miles. Also, in hot summer days the noise is either very quiet or none. It is RPM sensitive(2000-3000), only in first two gears.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Based on your title description, it sounds like your car has the Flu! :sick: ;)