Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

2»

Comments

• bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Well, I couldn't hold off any longer and took advantage of Ford rebates on left over 06 inventory. Bought the 06 2-dr 4x4 extended cab FX4 model. MSRP was $24,660 Ford rebated $3,000 and dealer took off additional $1,600. Final cost before adding premium bump to bumper $20,060. I am very happy with deal and believe I will have for many years. 1983 Ranger 200,000+ miles, 1994 Ranger 297,000+ miles and still going strong. The Ranger maybe outdated to some other truck makers, but I will take ol reliable USA anyday. :shades:
  • rngrlvr4liferngrlvr4life Member Posts: 4
    i have a 93 ranger xlt 2-wd 3.0 with 568000 miles. yes those are the correct miles on the original motor. bought it new in 93 and have put it through hell but maintained it well. it's never had a wrench on it other than basic preventative maintenance (oil change, brake pads, tire rotations). hasn't lost fuel economy or power. i don't think this truck will die. she's runnin strong without a thermostat, a 4th gear, mass air sensor, and various other necessities. im not puttin much more money into her...just gonna see how long it takes her to die. anything bad about a ranger???? i don't think so.
  • rngrlvr4liferngrlvr4life Member Posts: 4
    im lookin for a 4x4 3.0 reg cab manual trans. with my budget i can't find anything newer than the 93 or 94 model in good enough condition. i wouldn't mind one in that year model but would like somethin newer if possible. the 4.0 would be much nicer to have but they don't offer it with a manual trans AND reg cab do they? if anyone knows of a newer 3.0 5-spd reg cab for a very low price or if the 4.0 is offered in reg cab manual, let me know please
  • tmiller9301tmiller9301 Member Posts: 2
    I went to this used dealer the other day and found 4 Rangers you might be interested in. You can see the list of Rangers on their lot @ www.lakeshoreautowholesalers.com. I bought a car from them about 3 years ago and they treated me right. They also have their own service department.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I just purchased a 2008 Ranger from Mullinax Ford Apopka, Florida. Paid about $12,300 brand new for the XL regular cab with air and payload package. The four cylinder is quite peppy with the manual transmission and I am very happy with the performance. Buying experience was very good as it always is at a Mullinax dealership.
  • flipbishflipbish Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up an01 Ranger XLT Flareside, 2 wd, 4 drs with 97k miles. It has the 3.0 6cyl with AT. Not the fastest thing I've driven but at least it will hold speed on the highway with cruise set.(unlike my dads 2000 S-10, 4cyl- what a dog!). But I digress, I paid $5000 for the truck from a private seller (no tax) and the thing looks and drives great. What do Y'all think? Did I do OK?
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    If it looks and drives great I think you did OK! Used vehicles are generally a better buy if you can find one in great shape. I decided to go new because with the rebates going on right now it was not much more than what a used late model would have been with the four cylinder and manual. I wanted that combo for the gas mileage. I averaged 27.4 mpg on my first tank!
  • pt10909pt10909 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 08 ranger 4x2 4 cylinder .Bare bones except for the cd/mp3 player. Xm satellite radio with 6 months subscription is included. I ordered it from a dealer 300 miles away. Why? 300 miles away? Cause i'm not crazy about white.
    Asked the dealer to eat the 495.00 doc fees. Said he couldn't budge on that. I said I'm not going to pay that kind of money for someone to walk to the printer. So we parted our ways and I pondered a white one close to home. Half hour later phone rings. Guess who? "We will deduct the price of the vehicle by 495.00." Total price not including taxes 10,990.00 The vehicle should arrive tomorrow. I hate the games you have to play with these dealers, but at 59,I"m starting to get good at it.
    These are canadian prices.... or should I say Pesos?......
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    $11K CAD for a new Ranger!?

That's cheap....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pt10909pt10909 Member Posts: 2
    The fellow from the dealership arrived yesterday. I drove him to where he wanted to go and he filled it up for me. The truck had 519 KM's showing on the odometer. Or if you rather 321 miles. I wasn't paying attention to the price per litre, but I'm guessing 88 cents. He did tell me it was 36 dollars. 4.54 litres to canadian gallon...3.78 litres to american gallon . I figured it at 35.66 miles to the gallon.
    Truck still had about a quarter tank before he filled it. Can't complain about that mileage. The list price was $16,014 plus the $495.00 doc fees . So at $10990.00 I quess that was a pretty good deal. The cd/mp3/sattelite radio is well worth the extra money. $325.00 here in canada. Just wish it had heated mirrors.....oh well.....
  • swykesswykes Member Posts: 2
    I bought basically the same thing in May 2008 for $15,900 in Kingston, Ont (again, Canadian prices). It's a 2008 4x2 4 cylinder 5-speed stripper - the only option was AC. If I had to do it all over again, I'd spring for the club cab so there would be room for the passenger seat to recline a little. $5,000 drop in price in 6 months is a little painful to hear about, but I was in a bind. My '94 Volvo 240 left me stranded one too many times and I needed to replace it that day, or start walking. I'm happy with the truck - I drive mostly on secondary roads at 50 mph and am getting in the high 30's for mpg. It doesn't see freeway travel much, but if I keep the speed limit in sight, I can get 38 mpg. Basically, it does what I bought it to do, and it was the cheapest 4 cyl available at the time.
  • s_hawk3s_hawk3 Member Posts: 1
    I am deployed and was looking for a cheap truck for when i get back. I found one my wife is going to go check it out. I was wondering if it seemed like a good deal. This is the add.

1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 with a 6" Superlift Suspension Lift System (installed by Alaska Spring). Custom heavy duty springs. 3.0 liter Vulcan V/6 engine with 5 speed manual transmission. Dual air bags. Engine block heater. Rebuilt transmission, front and rear differentials and transfer case. Rubber floor with mud/snow mats. Shift on the fly 4X4. Dual Cardigan CV drive shafts, front and rear. JBA Ceramic coated headers. Straight exhaust w/Vortex muffler w/ stainless steel turndown tip. Hypertech stage three computer chip. Volant cold air intake system w/pre-filter. Airaid Poweraid throttle body spacer. Bosch Iridium+ 4 spark plugs. Goodyear Gatorback extreme life Serpentine drive belt. Heavy duty alternator. Ford duraliner bedliner. Class IV Hitch, 6" drop tongue with ball, receiver cover and locking hitch pin. Go Rhino Nerf Bar side steps.

BRAND NEW BFG AT's 33"x10.5"x15" tires on 15X8 Ultra Five Spoke Rims. Body is in excellent shape!

Clean title in hand.

Asking $4900 for quick sale due to move. Has 224K Miles on it though. Wife said runs good and all. But i keep thinking that is still a lot of miles for an engine.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent owners ( within the last month) or people who are considering purchasing a hybrid or a pickup truck. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 12pm PST on March 1st, 2011 and include your name, state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and your phone number.
  • exrangermanexrangerman Member Posts: 1
    This will be long… but I got burnt.
    This vehicle was never off roaded, babied to the max.

Purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge in 2008. 4.0 4x4 with a 4:10 gear
    This was a beautiful little yellow truck.
    I had to drive 150 miles to buy it & didn't care. Checked it out, it was awesome.
    It had just over 80,000 on it & was a great price. 7,500.00
    Single owner Carfax to boot.
    1st thing I notice was mileage. Granted I didn’t expect a ton, but 13 miles to the gallon hwy?
    Not cool. My 97 F-150 got that much! Still, it was a good ride and cool looking.
    So mileage be damned.... Still I love it intensely. 6 months went by, no issues...
    Week 1
    Full fluid changes… Synthetic Engine oil, New trans fluid, transfer box, both Diffs.
    (front was tough to do too) 200 or so in oil
    --Month 7-
    Bed dropped as I pulled into the drive. Hangers and shackles had completely rotted away.
    about $400 to fix myself. And no super huge deal. I missed it when I checked it out, my bad.
    *still in love*
    --Month 9- Fuel pump in tank failed. So off with the bed again & $250.00 for the fuel pump.
    Hey, who knows..... maybe the person before me ran it low alot.
    *love not faded*
    --Month 10. Oil pressure sensor failed…
    Cheapo easy fix.. No sweat.
    *Love affected none*
    No problems for almost 6 months,
    Love intensely. Wash this thing once a week. Full hand waxes. Wheel treatments.
    Engine oil changed meticulously

--Somewhere near 1.5 years in.
    Drivers side wheel bearing out. Squeeling like a baby pig. 200 bucks for the lifetime warranty bearing.
    A touch annoyed, but hey 8.5 years. Nearing 100,000. I get it.
    *still love my little yellow truck*
    Bout a month later, the front end must have missed me. CV started popping. 80 more bucks.
    Stupid design for repair too, hate to admit it too, but terrible desin
    Still I love my truck.
    --2 lovely problem free months…. Rear U-joint now.
    Pulled the driveshaft. Wrenched some more.
    Cheap fix. Aggrevated.
    But, like a wife… annoying as we all say they are.
    Dangit if I don’t still love her!
    --2 years almost to the DAY.
    Rear end locking up & whining. Tore it down, Pinion bearing took a dump.
    Small pieces of metal embedded into the traction discs. Rebearing, replaced discs
    Synthetic oil… Bout 700.00 again to fix myself.
    *Love fading fast. But minimal monthy payment keeps me in it.*
    Decided while I was coining out brakes should get done too.
    New rotors, new drums, the works. Surely my Ranger will return my love in the long haul.
    --2years 5 months. Passenger wheel bearing. 200 more bucks.
    *very little love left.. Still….she’s pretty*
    -- 1 more month. Alternator. 150.00 more.
    *I’m spending more on parts than my monthly payment. Love is gone, just gone*
    --2 more months,,,, Clunk from front area?? Weird.
    Check the lower ball joints, Worn a bit. So replaced them and tie rod ends to be safe.
    130.00 more & half a day.
    *I got nothing left but distain now*
    Clunk goes away for a week, comes back, can’t figure it out
    2 ASA techs later… no idea.
    Under 3 years…. Over 2000 in parts(no labor)Trade that piece of junk in.
    If not for years of great luck with both F-150’s & Taurus’ I’d be done with Ford.
    No wonder to me why Ranger isn’t made anymore. JUNK
  • rangergirl2000rangergirl2000 Member Posts: 1
    awww jeez, I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. But it had to have been because the last person trashed it before they sold it to you. I have a 2000 XLT and love this thing!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I'm telling you, I'm HHHAAAARRRRDDDDDD on this thing-change its oil once a year whether it needs it or not! LOL And I just now put new spark plugs in it, 141,000 on the original factory ones. One of them even had a piece of fuzz on it and was still running!!!
    This is the second one I've gotten and am in love with it still. But I'm just writing to say I'm sorry you've had all these problems. I just wonder if that last owner put some "bandaids" on it so someone would buy it and they finally fell off. Anyway, just wanted to say I feel your pain (somewhat because my baby truck hasn't really needed too terribly much)...I put a new radiator in last month, new plugs and some new fuses. This month its already asked for a new thermostat and antifreeze (I'd been running plain water in it since I put in the new radiator--I know I know I know, you're not supposed to do that, thus the new thermostat), a battery and now its running pretty ragged. Its either a bad 02 sensor, bad fuel relay sensor or fuel filter. I'm thinking fuel filter because I've never put one in......but loved your letter as its kinda given me an idea of what I may be looking at down the line.
    thx, and sorry again,
    Bailey