Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I don't know if CO laws or VW policies have changed, but when we got to the end of our lease of our '99 NB in Colorado, VW Finance made an attractive offer for financing the residual. Low APR, and, if I remember correctly, a small decrease in the residual value.

You should talk with VW Finance directly, not your dealer, regarding your options.

(BTW, my local VW dealer was McDonald Auto Group in Englewood)
  • itslisaitslisa Member Posts: 10
    Michaell, Thank you for your response. Same dealer in question. I had already talked with VW and they sent me to the dealer! VW is a pain - - - to deal with whether it be dealer or corp. It has been my experience that neither care about resolve. Perhaps that should be my Q to exit stage left? :mad: I do love my car though... SO FAR no huge issues. :shades:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I would call VW Finance and ask to speak with a supervisor .. generally, the front line folks who work the phones don't have a lot of authority and, in many cases, work from a prepared script.

Eventually, you should be able to talk with someone who can make a decision .. let them know you are considering turning the car in and getting a different brand. It' not likely that they want to see you walk.

Our NB ("Beauty") had a few small issues as well that required visits to the dealer, but we had purchased an extended warranty so didn't cost much out of pocket.

Good luck and let us know how everything turned out.
  • viewtyviewty Member Posts: 2
    Dear Team,

Was just quoted the following for a CASH deal in Southern California...

$24,000...from an MSRP price of $27,350 for a 2009 Convertible. They offered a $2,500 Friends and Family type of incentive ( we own a 09' Rabbit as well).

My thoughts are they can do better as the 2010s are only a few weeks away.

Please comment.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    VW only has about $1000 markup from invoice to sticker price. You can check it on several pricing websites to confirm. In my case, I bought a 2008 Beetle Convertible in June 2008. Got about $1500 off sticker. I would say if you are getting a total of $2500 off sticker, you got a good deal. Not sure who is kicking in the $2500 for Friend and Family, but I doubt you will find a better deal.

P.S. You will love the convertible!
  • viewtyviewty Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info as I feel much better knowing that I got a good deal. We went into the showroom with no intent to buy, and the next thing I am doing is negotiating with no idea of what the base costs were.

And you are right, we love the convertible!
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    My wife has been wanting a Beetle convertible for a long time now. We were on a VW dealer lot yesterday and saw a 2006 Beetle convertible 2.5 in Harvest Moon. It was a leased vehicle for four years. It's VW certified and has about 50,000 miles on it. It also has a clean Carfax report. I've read mixed reviews about the Beetle convertibles. I actually like the looks of the car myself. I had a 2001 Jetta that was a pretty good car overall. Before I forget, the car looks to be in excellent shape, at least from the outside and the interior. The dealer is asking around $15,500 which I thought was a little high due to the mileage. I sent them an email yesterday, which was Sunday, and I'll probably hear from them tomorrow.

Any comments at all would be appreciated. We live in NJ and prices seem to be higher here than in some parts of the country. Thanks for your help!! I look forward to hearing from anyone out there.

Gary (NJ)
    I purchased a 2008 Beetle Convertible new in June 2008. I looked at the reviews and complaints of Beetle Convertibles prior to purchase, and it appears most complaints were from the first / second model year (2003-2004). There were problems with the rear window getting loose, as well as various engine problems (not the 2.5 engine).

Our Beetle is almost 2 years old, and we have not had any problems, plus this car is fun, fun, fun. The tiptronic 6 speed automatic with the manual shift gate is fun to drive on the back roads, and the handling is very good.

As the car you are looking at is a VW Certified, it comes with a 2 year warranty. I don't know if that has a deductible, or is 100% (no deductible), but I think VW had worked out all the problems with the convertibles by the 2005 model year.

Good Driving!

Bel Air Car Guy
  • clickclackerclickclacker Member Posts: 6
    I am getting a fully loaded Final edition for $20,940 at the end of April. In March I was given probable lease info of a .00122 Money Factor Rate with Residual Value at $12,619.80. Term 36 Months with $2500 down.

Is this Money Factor/Residual Value in line?

Thanks for your help
    :confuse:
  • jeep53jeep53 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2010
    Well, after reading some positive things about the NB's and quite a few negative things, we took the plunge and picked up an '06 NBC about five weeks ago. It has a little more mileage than I wanted to see, but we were able to get the car with a five-year certification. So far it's been a lot of fun to drive and no problems. It was a one owner lease with a clean Carfax. We're hoping the car stays like it is now. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed on that one. It rides really nice on the highway and gas mileage is very good. I will say it certainly turns heads!! I bought the car for my wife, but I find myself driving it as much as I can. I traded in my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I had for eight years.

I will keep reporting back to this forum hopefully with good reports. Thanks for reading this post.

Steve (NJ)

Jeepster53@aol.com
  • bettty45bettty45 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 VW convertible; it opens but it won't lock so the light continues to flash and the beeper beeps......does anyone have suggestions or ideas? It has 25,000 miles; would it still be under warranty? When I bought it it worked fine but then all the sudden it just won't lock; it is all automatic. Thanks for any advice or help folks can give me......
    2006 VW cars should be under a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. This starts from the date the car was put in service. If you purchased the car new, then of course you know that date. If you purchased it used, I would take it to a VW dealer. They can check it on the computer records for VW and let you know if it is still in warranty.

By the way, I have a 2008 VW New Beetle Convertible which we love. Just bought my college daughter a used 2007 Jetta. I took it to my VW dealer (did not purchase it from that dealer), and they discovered the radiator had a very very small leak. They replaced the radiator for no charge, as it was still under warranty by about 500 miles (49,500 miles on the car). Great dealer!

Bel Air Car Guy
  • bettty45bettty45 Member Posts: 2
    Hey! Thanks for the reply; I called the dealership in Spokane WA and gave them my vin number, etc. They said someone would call me back but after 4 days no one called. I purchased the car used but not at the VW dealership. I will give Appleway in Spokane another call and see if they can let me know if I am under the 4 years...glad you had a good experience with your dealer.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    Actually, from VW's web site:

Basic Limited Warranty
    3 years / 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    Wear & tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 months / 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

Wiper blades excluded after initial 6 months / 6,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

Powertrain:
    5 years / 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Corrosion Perforation:
    12-year, unlimited distance Limited Warranty Against Corrosion Perforation (except Routan).
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Don't call Sales.

Call service. Ask for an advisor and give him/her the vin. They can answer your warranty questions.
    HOWEVER, the warranty is ONLY 3yrs or 36,000 miles WHICHEVER COMES FIRST!
    ONLY premium German Brands (Audi, MB, BMW) have a 4yr or 50K
    Same goes for Lexus, Acura, Infinity, Jag & Land Rover. -4yrs/50K
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    VW used to have a 4/50 warranty...... and, not all that long ago. It wouldn't surprise me to find that was the case for an '06 model...

Even so, chances are slim that an '06 would be less than four years old..(though possible)..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

2006 VW's all have a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. I own a 2007 Jetta, a 2008 New Beetle Convertible, both with this warranty. I also have a 2009 Jetta. In 2009 VW cut back to 3 years, 36,000 miles.

Check it out on Edmunds for the year and vehicle for original warranty information.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • bmw5406spdbmw5406spd Member Posts: 2
    i am approved at vw credit (c tier) as i use my credit a lot and have three open autos, make good money 12k per mo, im in the car business as job, own my own used car lot but im a car queer and love new cars so i always have 3-5 personal cars, im trying to lease or purchase new beetle turbo, scary thing about the new beetle js they are everywhere and selling with a few thousand miles for 5-7k less then new, and at auction they are selling same 5-7k less, found one in the color i like msrp is 31,125 inc trans fee, they said they will sell me the car for 28,891 invoice eat the 795 tranort fee, on 42 mo lease pymts are 447.37 before tax 15k at 51% residual, they telling me that rate is 6.4% lease, on buy 72 mos at 8.4% same car 571.66, trying to see if price is good deal and if anyone has cw credits base apr rates on each tier level for lease and buy so i can see id they are picking up points on interest, thank ypu
  • antique3antique3 Member Posts: 2
    I bought our Beetle for $4,800, Had about 51,000 miles on it.....Did a few things to it since it sat in a lady's yard for 2 years straight. Her hubby didn't want her to drive it......whatever.
    Few problems with some sensors, replaced tires and other than that no problems. I kinda stay ahead of the game, replacing things before! they go bad:)
    It helps to know a real VW mechanic as well