Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Can't hurt....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• flycasterflycaster Member Posts: 62
    Now all I have to do is to not go near a BMW dealer or my checkbook until the end of the month...no easy task.
  • ohfreddieohfreddie Member Posts: 4
    I think we've decided against the 3.0's, the price differential doesn't seem worth it (unlike our other car, Impreza, in which an extra 4k for the WRX engine was really worth it).

So, the local dealer in Chicago has an 03 2.5 listed for 30,999, but made an off-the-cuff offer of 29,000 as we were walking out the door after our second test drive. I haven't even started negotiating with them yet, so not sure how low they will go.

I really wouldn't like to spend more than 27k, is that feasible? What should I be aiming for? Thanks for any responses!
  • tenzotenzo Member Posts: 24
    wating for 06 325 2 dr.. but if z4 will have same motor as 325 which has almost 30 more HP... i want to have fun z4.... anyone knows about it??
    The rumor is... that it will have the new motor... But, last I heard... they '06 won't be out until January or February...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ohfreddieohfreddie Member Posts: 4
    Forgot to list options: power top, not much else.
  • tenzotenzo Member Posts: 24
    thank you for the info.
  • madabushimadabushi Member Posts: 11
    Hi kyfdx, vsaxena & others...
    Got the 03 Z4 3.0 thats fully loaded. Drove it along the PCH from LA to the Bay area today. Wow... was it fun. The twisty roads were great testing grounds, not for the car but for my nerves!! Got a few looks breezing past at 90mph on the freeway. Had to keep it in check to avoid a huge speeding ticket though there were a few fast moves made!! =)
    The 3.0L I6 has oodles of power and the sports package makes a big difference in the handling. Significant stiffening of the suspension & much faster response time to the throttle and shifts. Anyone reading this, get the sports package, I was initially a skeptic but after today's drive, I think its totally a must for this car.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with valuable advice along the way.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Good Enjoy the car. The sports package is a must for all Bimmers, especially a roadster. I have a loaded 2004 Z4 3.0 SMG (ZPP, ZSP, ZCV, Xenon, heated seats) and it is a blast to drive. Did you get it for $29K? How long does the warranty last?
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I have to say that the Z4 styling is my least favorite BMW design. That said, a long hood open air roadster is a good design concept for sure.

Here is a suggestion for the next generation Z5:
    Scale down the Z8 design and you will have a huge winner on your hands that will give Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi roadsters a run for their money and possibly give you the pole market position. Jag I am sure will reincarnate the XKE as well to stir up the nostalgia design pot.

:shades: :shades:

Love,

Manybmws
    Tastes can be so different! Of all the Bangle designs, I like the Z4 most. Even more than the E90 which has ugly rear lights.

The problem with Z4 is that it is too masculine. It looks like it jumped out of Gotham City right onto the streets; the Sharkmobile. It is a car with a lot of character and presence. However since a lot of convertibles are driven by women, a large segment overlooks them. In fact I have not seen a single Z4 woman driver here in the Bay Area, where the cars abound.

When it comes to the driving characteristics, the Z4 is miles ahead of the Z3. And with the available SMG it is a hoot to drive even for folks who do not want to clutch it.
    Hi vsaxena,
    The warranty lasts till end of Jan 2007. I paid $29.1 for the car.
    As for your comment below about the plethora of Z4's in the Bay Area. I don't see that many of them at all. In fact on my drive up PCH to the Bay area, I did not see a single one. I saw the 6 series convertibles, SL500's & even a Ferrari but not even one Z4.
    Hm. The only thing I am worried about in your deal is that 17 month warranty. BMW can be expensive to fix, especially a niche car like the Z4 which the independents may not be comfortable with.

Anyway: I do see a lot of Z4s in the valley. In fact in my company's campus there are 3 3.0 Z4s :D out of approximately 300 cars; and it is not an IPO millionaires campus.

BTW, there are incredible money factors for the current 3.0 Z4 for a 24 month lease (0.001). With the $4.5K incentive, you can drive a loaded one home for less than $450/month!
    Vsaxena, good point about repair costs post-warranty. I looked up some extended warranty info.
    Can you or anyone in this forum (kyfdx?) comment on the extended warranty being sold by companies like warrantydirect etc.
    Here is a quote I got for my 03 Z4 3.0 (36.5K miles) that has about 17 months till the 4 yr/50K mile BMW warranty expires. I don't plan on driving this car > 6K miles/year.

Golden MBI
    Terms/Miles* $0 Deductible $50 Deductible $100 Deductible
    4 Years / 60,000 Miles $ 1,415 $ 1,358 $ 1,301
    4 Years / 75,000 Miles $ 1,676 $ 1,608 $ 1,534
    4 Years / 100,000 Miles $ 2,134 $ 2,061 $ 1,964

California MBI
    Terms/Miles* $0 Deductible $100 Deductible
    4 Years / 60,000 Miles $ 2,063 $ 1,905
    4 Years / 75,000 Miles $ 2,343 $ 2,158
    4 Years / 100,000 Miles $ 2,706 $ 2,495

I was thinking of getting the 4yr/75K miles with the $50 deductible ($1608).
    First, do I really need it. BMW's are generally well built and dont break down that often. Is getting the extended warranty really worth it? Are these warranty companies trustworthy.
    Thanks
    If you are only driving 6K miles per year, I don't think I'd bother with an extended warranty... and, I'm always wary of third party warranty companies, under any circumstance...

You have a few things on your side...

1) You are buying used, so you aren't taking a big depreciation hit like you would buying a new car..

2) With the relatively low miles you'll have on your car after a couple of years, your car should have good resale..

3) Because of 1) and 2), if the car does become problematic, after the warranty is up, you can dump it without taking much of a loss....

If this were a 3-series that was your main mode of transportation, and you were going to put 45K more miles on it, in the next three years, then a CPO warranty would be a good idea... But, since you have the flexibility to sell it, if it isn't working out... I'd just take my chances...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• imflyboyimflyboy Member Posts: 3
    I just snagged a deal for a 2005 Z4 3.0. I faxed 21 dealers in a 500 mile radius of my location with a bid for 5% above dealer cost (invoice, less incentive, plus 5% profit). The faxes went out at 9:30PM and my phone was ringing by 7:30 the next morning. (I should have bid 3-4%!). I closed the deal for $41,100 on a $47,720 sticker (Invoice: $43,665). The dealer that called first didn't have a car in stock but changed an existing order at the factory and I received my exact spec within 3 weeks of my fax. I'm happy with the deal. But more importantly, I'm elated with my new mount! :shades:

For an interesting read and the lowdown on how to shop for a new car, check out Jeff Ostroff's site www.carbuyingtips.com. There's even some side ripping comedy in his story and pictures.

Flyboy
    Congratulations! These cars can be had at $1000-$1500 over dealer cost. You were very generous. Someone at your dealership will be VERY happy, that he woke up early. The early bird did truly get the worm. :)

As Tom Petty once sang "The waiting is the hardest part...." ;)
    warrantydirect is the only internet based option in CA.
    If you are driving 6K miles a year, I would take a chance.
    Just keep some emergency cash stashed up.
  • flycasterflycaster Member Posts: 62
    2005 merlot 2.5, permium, tan top, tan leather..exactly what I wanted. List: $41,095, Invoice $37,685, Paid $36,185. I negotiated the final price by starting at invoice and the working off the $2500 dealer incentive. So, I'm $1500 under invoice. Actually, I probably could have done better, maybe $300 to $500 better. But, nonetheless, I am quite happy.

Here are some other things to be aware of when dealing. My car had to be picked up from another dealer across the state (FL). They wanted $450 for the truck transportation. I negotiated a wind screen and mats and was only going to pay $225 for the shipping. Got my way and I'm happy. Also, when they started adding on advertising and MAC (whatever that is) fees, I got up and said "This ain't going to work, I'm walking." They dropped the issue, no extra fees, other than those that were legitimately listed. According to my friend who was a Honda dealership GM, these are bogus and you shouldn't pay for them. Believe this advice firmly and you won't get caught in this scam. Be smart and well prepared and be tough but nice. Good luck guys.

Good luck guys.
    Congratulations on your new car!! Sounds nice... Plenty of convertible weather left in Florida..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    who have purchased a Z4 in the past few weeks. If you've got the money and are in the market for a roadster, I don't think there's a better car out there right now. The Z4 has got legendary BMW balance, a sweet Inline 6 motor, and IMO looks great (especially the 3.0i with Sport Package). Yes the Boxster may be driving nirvana, but you can't touch a new one for what the Z4s are selling for with the deep discounts and incentives.

For anybody thinking about a Z4, go for it. Given the significance of tomorrow, don't take for granted the fact that you'll be around when the timing is perfect.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    They're especially a good deal right now with the lease programs going on.... To get in a $46k car for under $400/mo is insane.
  • bigbore1bigbore1 Member Posts: 5
    I apologize if this question is posted on the wrong forum, but there seems to be a lot of helpful and knowledgible people here.
    Is the power roof really necessary?....I want to get a new, 2005 Z4 (2.5l) for my wife. All the vehicles on the nearest dealer's lot are equipped with the power roof, so we were not able to actually "try" a manual roof's operation.
    My wife is not a big woman (about 115 lbs.), but she is fit.
    Just trying to save some money and eliminate`another part that may break in the future....but I don't want to regret the decision to not purchase the option.
    The vehicle will be factory ordered, and we are considering a "bare bones" configuration with the 5 speed, leather,and power seats.
    I would appreciate any opinions/advice
    Thanks
    Jack
    I'd give up power seats, before I'd give up the power top... If you have to choose...

If you don't have to choose, get both....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's a real pain in the neck to manually raise and lower any convertible top.... The power top is a $750 stand-alone option on the Z4 (or included in the Premium Package). For a car in that price range, I think the $750 is worth it. If you ever plan on selling or trading the car, a manual top will certainly bring far less money (most people really don't want a manual top).
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    Today I picked up a 2004 3.0 with 6 speed/prem/sports/convenience/heated seats/sterling grey metallic with 10000 miles, from a dealer one block from where I bought my Z4 last year.

I swapped my 04 2004 3.0 with step/prem/sports/heated seats/Mseats/alpine white with 5000 miles on it plus 1k plus fees for it.

I picked up another 4 months of warranty in the swap.

I noticed that the MPG for the manual is showing 27.3 while my step was giving me 22.1

Considering i had looked for 10 months for a decent deal I am very happy.

The step was nice but once my wife decided she didn't like driving the car I wanted a change to a six speed and I am glad I did.

I have an 05 325i 5 speed. The 6 speed is so much smoother.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    is the "new" '04 you bought with 10K miles a CPO car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

No...but neither was the car I traded. I put only 5000 miles on my Z4 the first 16 months. So milage is not a problem. CPO would give me another 2 years of warranty, which is nice if I keep the car that long. But I feel secure with the 3+ years I have on the second car. Plus the car came from the same dealer I bought my Z and 3 series so I asked them to check it out before I swapped. The "new" car looks newer on the inside than my car. It was spotless with all manual and keys. Even got the BMW binder that is mailed to new owners

Not sure if I can increase the warranty but I am also not sure what the future holds. But I was looking at having to folk over at much as 10k when I started my search. Even in the past month I was still looking at 5-6k outlay for a similar deal. And that was for a car at FMWest (200 miles away) that had no sports package.

I loved first Z4 but the smile on my face is even bigger with this car.

It's been a great day
    Thank you for your advice regarding my question about the power roof option.

Take care,
    Jacfk
  • thewyzthewyz Member Posts: 9
    Hi -

I'm looking at a two similar Z4 3.0s. MSRP is about $49k (Premium and Sports packages, Nav system, Xenon lights and heated seats and manual transmission).
    - Invoice is about $45k and others are paying about $43k.
    - What is a reasonable price to expect to pay?

Also:
    - they want $875 acquisition fee
    - $200 doc fee
    - they won't offer BMW finance's 0.001 money factor on a lease and inisist on 0.0014
    Is all thsi reasonable?

Thanks!
    Considering the $4500 incentive, if invoice is at $45K, then I want to be at $41.5K-$42K for a purchase price...

I don't think it is reasonable for them to mark up the money factor and acquisition fee (base acq.fee is $625), but a lot of dealers do it..

$200 doc fee is just added profit.. factor it into your offer...

I'd factor all of those numbers into your offer... If they insist on all of them, then I'd want the car for INVOICE minus $4500...

But, don't hold your breath.... dealers that mark up these numbers aren't likely to make you a fair deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• thewyzthewyz Member Posts: 9
    Thanks kyfdx - that's helpful and enlightening.

I'll use this to go back to the dealer and ask them to either reduce their fees and MF markup or lower the purchase price.

I'll provide an update one way or the other...
  • epbronwepbronw Member Posts: 5
    I disagree about everyone wanting a power top. I'd prefer the manual, which I've seen in action and know is easier to operate. Power options are, imo, just one more thing that'll likely need fixing down the line. My ideal Z4 would have heated leather seats and the sports package, and I'm not to sure about the latter since I'll likely upgrade the wheels and suspension anyway. The minimum spec adds to the sports car feel to me, and isn't much needed if the car isn't a daily driver.

However, I simply couldn't find a car without the power top (buying used limits your options), and I have to admit it works well. As a data point, my car is a 2003 2.5i with premium package and 21k miles, and I got it for under $25,000. I thing the lagging new car sales have the used prices falling, and with cooler weather approaching dealers are looking to move the Z4s off the lot this time of year. Plus, the dealership I bought via eBay was in Iowa, and the salesman felt there wasn't a lot of demand for Z4s there; he got it in trade on a 350Z coupe.

Emanuel
    I picked up an 04 3.0 with10k miles.

It has metallic paint; pblack leather; premium, sports, and convenience packages. heated seats and mats.

I paid 32K with 37 months of warranty left.

This was the best deal i could find after 10 months on a car that had what i wanted.

I have noticed in the past two weeks prices falling on both used Z4's and boxsters.
    Great Deal. You got almost one third off the sticker!
  • michaelro303michaelro303 Member Posts: 5
    Trying to buy a 2005 Z4 3.0 with heated seats, premium package, auto and xenons. Sticker is about 47,800.. Every dealer in the states of SC, GA, and NC that has that model on the lot wants a $3000 profit... or invoice price in most cases.. What gives... I keep hearing that these things are not selling and BMW has given the dealers $4,500 in incentive to help move these cars. Dealers in this area are trying to keep most of the incentive money it appears..

Anyone else in the SC area had any luck buying or leasing a Z4 at something close to the 500 - 1000 profit less the 4,500 incentive.

Thanks
  • michaelro303michaelro303 Member Posts: 5
    The dealer is trying to add $598.00 to the price of a new z4 3.0 for the service department to remove shipping apparatus other items connected. Then the vehicle must go to the detail shop. The substance that coats the vehicles to protect them in shipping is a "vaseline" type substance that needs to be removed. Floor mats and a full tank of gas. I know sometimes they charge for the floor mats but I have never heard of charging to prep the car...?
  • hweaverhweaver Member Posts: 33
    Where did you hear $4,500???
    I want it!
    I am looking at a 2.5 with prem pkg, sports pkg, leather, and heated seats.
    05's are HARD to come by...
    I want a stick too...
    The invoice is 38,615 so that would be 33,615
    I'd buy it today if they'd do it.
    they have blue and one has red.. I really wanted SILVER though :(
    When I looked on edmunds.com it has $2,500 for the dealer cash.. where did you get the proof of $4,500 ?? I can't find it anywhere...
    And will the dealers to invoice minus the cash, they SHOULD, inv they are making money, plus the 06's are coming in, plus the cash is from BMW not out of their pockets..
    Heidi
    any advice.. I noticed a note about NC, SC, VA area.. I am in the fayetteville, nc area; 1.5 hrs from raleigh. .I hope dealers are not stubborn... great. :mad:
    The 2.5 model has a $2500 dealer incentive..

Only the 3.0 model has $4500...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I ordered a new 2.5 liter Z4 about two weeks ago. The purchase price is contingent on the sale being finalized before the dealer incentive expires. If the incentive is carried over to October, then obviously there would not be a problem.
    So, It looks like tomorrow might be the deadline.... I am not optomistic that the incentive program will be continued.

I was told that the deal can fall under the incentive IF the vehicle is "VINed" by September 30. Is there any way that I can independently confirm if the vehicle has been "VINed" ? I have the production number for the Z4, but can't find any BMW website that will allow me to access the information.

Does anyone know which stage in the build process that the vehicle receives it's VIN? I believe this Z4 is at stage 152 or 153.

Is anyone in a similar position...and can anyone share some information on a purchase strategy for my circumstance?

Thanks
    Incentives normally do not expire especially when the model year is ending and there are cars still being produced. They expire if production has stopped. Then the dealers punch their unsold inventory (declare it as sold) and then sell them as demos, or use them as loaners. This way they keep the incentives.

If the car is still under production and there is a lot of unsold inventory, the incentives will continue (or might even go up as they did last year).

The inventory levels seem to be lower this year since BMW seems to have adjusted to lower roadster sales and the introduction of newer roadster models by other vendors.
  • therose400therose400 Member Posts: 20
    Firstly, regarding incentives - 2005 Z.4's must still be in production because I want to order an '05 2.5i and the dealer I'm negotiating with just indicated the market allowances have been extended until the end of October. The market allowances posted by kyfdx are correct.

Secondly, I need some numbers and opinions.......

This is what I want to order -
    2005 Z4 2.5i
    Toledo Blue Metallic (Exterior)
    Beige leather (Interior)
    Light Popular Grain Wood Trim
    Black fully-auto soft-top
    Power front seats
    MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    Wind Deflector

This is the dealer's offer:
    $34,365 plus Tax 6%, New tag retail $250.00, Transfer $150.00, Dealer Fee $379.50, Lemon Law fee $2.00, Tire,Battery fee $6.50. If you Lease there is a Lease Fee of $70.49 to the State of Florida.

Questions:
    1- what amount is the sales tax applied to (cap cost, lease cost, etc.)?
    2- what are the residual values for 36, 39 and 48 month leases? what should money factors be, respectively?
    3-TMV 'What Others are Paying' is $35,106. Is this a good deal?
    Thank you!
    3-TMV 'What Others are Paying' is $35,106. Is this a good deal?

IF you're paying almost $1000 under "what others are paying", then it's probably a good deal, huh?
  • staryjarystaryjary Member Posts: 10
    New incentives for October in case you missed it:

2.5 - $3000
    3.0 - $5000
  • therose400therose400 Member Posts: 20
    Cap cost = $34,065

Now dealer wants to add $825.00 bank fee & $500 Refundable Security Deposit for an '05 BMW Z4 with regard to the 30 month lease. According to a previous post, basic bank fee is $625, so he's marking that up. I have leased 3 vehicles in the past and NEVER paid bank/acquisition fees nor security deposit. When are security deposits required (high risk borrower?)? Has anyone else experienced this? :confuse:
    Those are pretty much typical for any lease... Ford Credit is the only bank that hasn't historically had acquisition fees, and even they have them now... You may have been paying the fee, and not known it.. They probably just rolled it into the cap cost..

Security deposits are pretty much "di rigeur" as well.. Although not as omnipresent as acquisition fees.. Many lessors waive them for repeat customers, or in exchange for a higher money factor...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Like kyfdx said, those a pretty standard parts of a lease.... They aren't the "dealer" charging them, either. It's the bank (in this case, BMWFS).
  • driver17driver17 Member Posts: 4
    is the 06 model going to be offered as a convertible and coupe or just coupe?
    Both..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• driver17driver17 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, any major changes in the 2006 convertible , also pictures?
This discussion has been closed.