Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• delferdelfer Member Posts: 29
    Hello Car_man and kyfdx ...

Hope you can help me with this quote:

VIN: LX02596 STOCK#: LICENSE: ODOMETER:
    VEHICLE: 2007 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0si COLOR: Silver Gray UPHOLSTERY: Black Leather

*I Pod adapter is separate install- have to check on price

Index Description MSRP
    Base Price $42,400.00
    0205 STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission 1,275.00
    0ZPP Premium Package 2,750.00
    0ZSP Sports Package 1,200.00
    0438 Dark Poplar High Gloss Wood Trim 0.00
    0494 Heated Front Seats 500.00
    0522 Xenon Adaptive Headlights 700.00
    0609 Navigation System 1,800.00
    Metallic Paint 475.00
    Destination Discount - Pre 3/2007 Inventory -80.00
    Premium Package Discount -100.00

Destination and Handling 775.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $51,695.00
    SELLING PRICE $48,640.00

Your New Vehicle
    Selling Price $48,640.00
    Term 36 Months
    Mileage 12,000 /year
    Residual Value $33,601.75
    Cash Due at Signing
    Cash on Delivery $1,602.38

Your Trade-In
    Vehicle
    Odometer
    VIN
    Notes
    Future Payments
    Monthly Payment $523.71
    Tax (8.25%) $43.21
    Total Mo. Payment $566.92

Where can I get some more $$ off with this? Thank you in advance for your help!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    What does your $1602 due at signing consist of?

$567 1st payment
    $600 Security deposit

$435 more? Get a breakdown, and make sure there is no fluff there.

Looks like they are adding $825 to the selling price for the acquisition fee. That is marked up $200. Other than that, it looks like the base money factor, and $3000 off MSRP.

Unless there is some factory to dealer cash (none that I know of), this looks like a pretty good deal. The lease program from BMWFS is pretty strong.

Maybe you can get them to throw in that iPod adapter?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx, for the quick response. I got a final quote today, and thought I still wasn't being given details. Tell me what you think of this:

BMW 2007 3.0SI
    Base Price $42,400.00
    0205 STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission 1,275.00
    0ZPP Premium Package 2,750.00
    0ZSP Sports Package 1,200.00
    0494 Heated Front Seats 500.00
    0522 Xenon Adaptive Headlights 700.00
    0609 Navigation System 1,800.00
    Destination and Handling 775.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $51,400.00
    SELLING PRICE $48,380.00

Term 36 Months
    Mileage 12,000 /year
    Residual Value $33,410.00

Cash on Delivery $1,010.25
    Monthly Payment $533.76
    Tax (8.25%) $44.03
    Total Mo. Payment $577.79

Here are the specific questions I plan to ask the dealer:

1. What is the breakdown of cash on delivery?
    2. What is the residual factor and money factor for this quote?
    3. Will you accept a $500 over invoice offer or $47,820 versus $48,380?

My questions to you kyfdx, are:

1. For this car this month, can I do better than $500 over invoice? Is it even possible to get the car from under invoice as "fightingchance.com" claims, if I wait until the end of the month?

2. If my offer of $48,380 is accepted, how should that break down as far as:
    a. Amount due at signing
    b. Monthly payments

3. What should the residual and money factor be?

Thank you for your quick response. I am looking to close this deal in the next few days, if possible.
    1) I think "fightingchance.com" might be speaking generically about waiting till the end of the month, etc.. Unless there are specific BMW-to-dealer incentives on this model, then $500 over invoice is probably the best you can do.

2) I assume you meant that if your lower offer is accepted, how much will it change the payments? $560 lower selling price will drop the payment around $17/mo. That won't affect the due at signing by much.

3) According to the quotes you were given, the base MF is .0010 and the residual for 3yr/36K is 65%, which is what I show for April. They are likely the same numbers for May.

On your last quote, they dropped the security deposit, but added the sec.deposit waiver to the MF, raising it to .00115

This is why the payment is higher. Make sure you make a security deposit, and get the lower money factor.

You have a decent deal on the table..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Z-4,I have been told a few stories that if you get a flat the tire cannot be repaired and the rim may be damaged. The cost to replace the rim and tire could be over $700.00. The ride is stiff. The majority of people do not like run flats. The manufactures are not listening to customers. Has any one had similar experiences with these tires? Thanks JOE :confuse:
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I didn't like the OEM Continental run-flats at all on my Z4 3.0si coupe, so I replaced them all with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, and I'm much happier.

The PS2s are much more responsive, have much better grip, and provide a much more comfortable ride, so it's win-win.
    Thanks for thius kyfdx! The dealer is now just looking for my red leather interior with jet black exterior. Says he will need to get it from a San Diego dealer, although he says it's typically a hassle that not many dealers prefer to go through. How true?

the dealer tells me the last quote was $500 over invoice, and that the $560 difference between invoice ($47,820) and his quote of $48,380 is the MACO fee. I asked for a detailed breakdown -- sec deposit, cap cost, money factor, residual, etc, just so I could rest assured every dollar was accounted for. Any other things I should ask to cover all bases?

Lastly, are there any incentives at all with BMW on this car for the month that you know of? From the research I've been doing, $500 over invoice on this car does sound like a more than decent deal.

Thanks for the insight! I hope CarMan and WRobbins can chime in as well!
  • seekupseekup Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Where can I find information (invoice, factory to dealer incentive, money factor and residuals) on a 2006 M Roadster?

Also, any opinions on why there are so many 2006 cars left? Overpriced to start with? Gas mileage?

Thanks!
    Seekup
    I am confused with my most recent quote ... according to my dealer, the following offer is $500 over invoice:

I can get you this car by end of May. Here is the exact lease structure sales price is $500 over invoice.

Model 0729 Z4 R 3.0si USD 42,400.00
    Color 668 Jet Black N/C
    Upholstery LASW Black Leather N/C
    Options ZPP Premium Package 2,750.00
    399 Fully automatic soft top N/C
    430 Auto-dimming mirrors N/C
    459 Power front seats N/C
    493 Storage package N/C
    639 BMW Assist N/C
    ZSP Sport Package 1,200.00
    224 Sport driving mode N/C
    350 18" wheels w/performance tires N/C
    704 Sport suspension N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic trans. 1,275.00
    438 Wood trim N/C
    494 Heated front seats 500.00
    522 Xenon headlights 700.00
    609 Navigation system 1,800.00
    Net Total 50,625.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE 775.00
    GAS GUZZLER N/C
    Total Suggested Price 51,400.00
    Selling price $48,380

According to edmunds, 51,400 is MSRP but $47,320 is invoice, so if I'm not mistaken, $47,820 is $500 over invoice.

Where is his $560 coming from???
    Where is his $560 coming from???

MACO and training fee..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ok, thanks ... that clarifies things. That said kyfdx, can you tell me what you compute the monthly payments for this quote for:

36 months, 15K miles, and 36 months 12K miles?
    This is with zero down, and about $1500++ in drive-offs.

Thanks!
    Rolling the $625 acq.fee into the selling price, the payment for 3yr/45K would be $543/mo. + tax..

Due at signing would be 1st payment, security deposit and title/registration fees (approx. $1200 + title/registration).

3yr/36K would drop the payment to $516/mo.+ tax.

Hope that helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Awesome ... looks like I'll be sealing the deal on this one on the 22nd, when the car arrives. May I ask for your valuable opinion kyfdx?

1. Are you familiar with the DVD based navi on the Z4? The dealer tells me it is not real-time traffic like on the new 3-series, so I wonder if it is still worth it.
    2. Is BMW a bit more lenient in overused miles, if the plan is one leases with them at the end of lease term? Or is isafer to just make the higher payment for 15K miles per year?

Thank you so much for all the help!
    1) Not familiar with the NAV.. I have a pretty good sense of direction.. ;)

2) Lenient? No.. you'll have to pay for them.. At this time, BMWFS allows you to purchase extra miles at $0.16/ea., up until 6 months before lease end.. I think your break-even point would be around 14,000 miles per year.. If you think you'll drive that much or more, or you just can't handle unscheduled financial payments, you should probably go for the 15K lease. If you think you'll be driving somewhere between 12K-13.5K miles/year, then just buy the miles during the last year of the lease.

I've found that we drive our convertible less than the sedan it replaced... I'd think a 2-seat convertible might get even less use. So, you'll probably drive it less than whatever it is replacing.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi
    My name is Joe. I'm considering a Z-4. When you bought your michelin Pilot Sports for your vehicle, did you purchase a compact spare with the rim and a jack. I tried communicating with several BMW dealerships in my area and BMW USA. They stated if I put regular tires on the Z-4, I could damage the suspension and also possibly void the warranty. I think they are just blowing smoke. If you did purchase a spare what size rim,tire and type of jack.
    If you care to reply my E-mail jlettie@comcast.net. thanks.
  • mghcarmghcar Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking for a convertible. I have a price on a Z-4 lease, but it does not look very good when I compare to other prices on this forum. Could you help?
    MSRP $44,470
    Selling Price $42,825
    Acquisition fee $625
    Total upfront fees: $418.95
    LEV %: 66%
    Term: 36 mos.
    Money factor: .0018
    Due at Start: $990.12
    Monthly payment: $558.60

Should I wait longer? When do 2008's come out? I was told that this deal was only good through July 2.

Thanks again for the help.
    Using your figures, I get $523/mo. + tax.. Which seems about right, assuming your tax rate is around 6.5%-7%.

1) The price is not the great.. From what I've read, another $500-$1000 off shouldn't be too hard to get.

2) The money factor is marked up the maximum .0004 and since you aren't making a security deposit, you are getting another bump of .00015.. This takes the money factor from .00125 to .0018

Just dropping the mark-up on the money factor will knock $30/mo. off the payment. Making a security deposit will save another $12/mo. off.. If you do those two things, your payment is down to $517/mo..

That would be a decent deal... a little more off the selling price, and we're under $510/mo.. That is where I would want to be..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ppchanppchan Member Posts: 2
    Hi car_man & kyfdx ,

I am currently trying to lease a 2007 Z4 coupe with the following features:

premium package, sport package, automatic, and heated seat

The invoice price for that would be $42,845 while the MSRP price would be $46,500.

My quesion is when I'm going to bargain with the dealer (I'm located in San Diego), what should I set my bottom line (price over invoice) to be according to your extensive experience? Is $500-$1000 over invoice would be possible on leasing a Z4?

Also, there's a speical lease offer going on for the Z4 Roadster now and the montly payment turns out to be almost $100 cheaper than the Coupe even though the Roadster is $3000 more expensive.I know the residual value would make a difference; howoever is it gonna make that big difference (assume all the features are the same on both car)?

Thanks for your help and it is very appreciated
  • ppchanppchan Member Posts: 2
    Hi delfer, may I ask you a valuable question?

Since you have mentioned about San Diego in your previous post, so it seems like you are also located in California.

I am wondering which dealer are you trying to lease the Z4 convertible from because it looks like you got an awesome deal from them ($500 over invoice)?

Your help would be very appreciated

Regards,

Patrick
  • mghcarmghcar Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for your help, kyfdx.
  • j2sinj2sin Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning All,

Could someone kindly review the following lease quote provided by California dealer. Please let me know if the following is a fair deal or if I should further negotiate. Thank you

36 Month /15K - Term of lease:
    -Vehicle MSRP $48,800
    -Selling Price $46,460
    -Bank acquisition fee & dealer documentation fee $825 & $45
    -Capitalized Cost (sum of purchase price and fees) $46,460
    -Residual Value 63% of msrp
    -Money Factor (money factor of .00115 was used because the security deposit was waived)

36 month lease
    $2,470 drive off (includes $600 security deposit)
    $513 plus tax = $556 month (15k miles/year)

2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster
    Titanium silver metallic
    Black leather
    Black soft top
    6-speed manual transmission
    Premium package
    Sport package
    Heated seats
    Xenon headlights
    1) .00115 MF because security deposit waived, but farther down the list, you state that the drive off amount includes a $600 deposit? Which is it?

2) If I assume you made a deposit, and the MF is .0010, then the payment comes out to $513/mo.+tax, just like you have it.

3) Due at signing:
    $556 1st pymt
    $600 security
    $825 acq.fee
    $ 45 Doc fee
    -----
    $2026 Total.. The other $454? Title/registration?

The deal looks just okay.. They are marking up the acquisition fee by $200. Assuming they are using the base MF (and it looks like it), that is good. You definitely want to make a security deposit and get the base MF of .0010. I'd want a bigger discount on the selling price. Maybe enough to cover the acquisition fee?

I'd be happy with the monthly payment, if I could get the due-at-signing amount knocked down to about $1600, including the $600 security deposit.

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    I can recall several years ago considering a Z4 (bought a G35 Coupe instead - mistake). At the time, BMW was offering a considerable factory to dealer incentive ($3-4K), but I can't recall the time of year. Any idea on when this can be expected? Is it a regular, yearly thing? Also, can a retail buyer expect to get the full amount of such an incentive off the price of the vehicle, or should I expect the dealer to want to keep some or all of it?
    This looks like a good deal. What do you think?

2006 Z4 3.0si
    Black sapphire metallic
    Dream red interior
    3300 miles
    Premium package
    Sport package
    M Sport seats
    Heated seats
    Hard top prep
    Xenons
    Certified
    Original warranty good to December 2010
    Extend warranty good to December 2012 (what is this worth if one were to buy it separately?)
    Dealer's price on the sticker is $39,795. The car was put into service in December of 2006, and the dealer picked it up at auction about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the advice.
  • jilly3jilly3 Member Posts: 5
    I am taking delivery of my car this week. Please comment if you think I got a good deal on it.

2007 BMW Z4 3.0si (brand new)
    Titanium Silver
    Black Interior
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Xenon Headlights
    Heated Seats

The MSRP on the car is $48,800. The dealer invoice is $45,380. There is a current $6,500 factory to dealer incentive on these cars, so, my final sales price is $40,980, plus I got him to throw in the windscreen (retail value of $215). Did I do OK?
    Let me also add that we had to freight the car in from another state, so that added $400 to the invoice. He itemized it as this:

$48,880 - MSRP
    $45,380 - Invoice
    $-6,500 - Factory Money

$38,880 - Net invoice
    $ 400 - Freight from out of state
    $ 250 - Floor Mats, PDI
    $ 215 - Windscreen

$39,665 - Actual Dealer Cost

$ 1,315 - Dealer Profit

$40,980 - Sale Price

I suppose I could argue the price of the windscreen is quoted as retail and NOT wholesale, and that $400 seems excessive for a 5 hour drive (then again BMW's are freighted differently than most cars). Perhaps I am having a panic attack as I am buying the car in two days, but... any thoughts? Think I should have gotten the car for lower?

I did sign a contract for the car, he never countersigned it, however. At this point, would it be crazy to try and re-negotiate or tell him I am walking away entirely? WDYT?
    OK, I contacted the salesman yesterday, and we had him take out the windscreen (I can always get this cheaper after market than he is charging me), so we settled on $40,500, which is $1,020 over his invoice costs. NOT too bad, I think! :) Thoughts?
  • jxz024000jxz024000 Member Posts: 5
    Jilly3, congratulation to your new car. I got one question to you. Do you need to put any deposit to sign the contract? How much did you put if there's a deposit?

thanks,
    Yes, I put down 1k.
  • txwmtxwm Member Posts: 1
    Jilly3 - I have a 2005 Z4 and I would have to say your price looks really good to me. How did you find out about the dealer incentive? My 4 yr svc coverage is up next year and I want to upgrade next fall. As I recall, the new models come out late fall, early winter, and the incentives are geared towards getting rid of last year's models. Did you order your car, or was it already out there somewhere? I am trying to make sure I am prepared in time, in advance to get the best deal I can next year.

Thanks!
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    "How did you find out about the dealer incentive?"

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/bmw/z4/100831031/incentives.html?vdp=off&setzip=- 97702&state=OR for my state and ZIP.
  • dvp16dvp16 Member Posts: 15
    I recently inquired about trading my 03 Z4 with 27K miles at a BMW dealer (Voss BMW). The delaler offered me 14,200 for the Z on another BMW. Needless to say that figure is about 5-6K less than what it should have been. Remember BMW dealers are just like everyother dealer...they are there to make money.....not make a good deal.
  • whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    Just bought a Z4 3.0 si coupe:

premium pkg
    steptronic auto
    heated seats
    extended leather
    metallic paint

$41,500 delivered, but taxes and tags extra

I think its a good deal
    Is it new? MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• joasavjoasav Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    This is the first time I am leasing a car and I am almost come to my end in getting my Z4 3.0si but wanted to see if this deal was great or could do better?
    I figure they want to wrap everything by tomorrow June 30th so they close their quarter and I may be able to negotiate further. I also figure I would go with 12k miles.

Any help on reducing the money factor or anything else to lower the monthly payment would be appreciated.

Thanks

South Florida - BMW Fort Lauderdale
    MSRP $50,200 (INCLUDES AUTO, PREMIUM & SPORTS PKG, XENON LIGHTS, BLACK LEATHER SEATS, M SPORTS SEATS, JET BLACK WITH BLACK AUTO SOFT TOP).
    END OF JUNE DISCOUNT $6,225
    FINAL NEGOTIATED PRICE $43,975
    TERM : 24 MONTHS
    RESIDUAL VALUE 73%
    MONEY FACTOR : .00215
    MILES : 10,000 PER YEAR

LEASE PAYMENT : $359.00
    TAXES 6% $21.54
    TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT : $380.54

DOWN PAYMENT $2,500
    BANK FEES $625
    SALES TAXES $700
    SECURITY DEPOSIT $400
    TAG $250
    1ST PAYMENT $399
    TOTAL DUE ON DELIVERY $4,874
  • schlepersschlepers Member Posts: 1
    How far below invoice can I get a Z4 M 2008? I live in California. I figure since the car industry is doing bad, I may be able to get a deal better then invoice. Invoice seems to be about 46k-48k. Any thoughts on how hard up they are? I was thinking maybe I can get one for maybe 30-35k, would that be reasonable?? Anybody have an idea how far they go down?

thx.
  • wtalbotwtalbot Member Posts: 14
    Ok here is what the Dealer is offering.

09 BMW Z4 sDr35i 3.0 Roadster, premium package, exclusive ivory white extended leather, 18" wheels with run flat, 7 speed double clutch auto transmission, deep sea blue metallic paint. 1100 miles, new.

MSRP $60,025.00
    sell price $52,552.00
    rebate $3000.00
    net cap cost $50,474.62
    Residual $39,016.25
    mileage 12,000
    Residual 65%
    Money factor .00135
    Total OTD payment $2000.00
    Monthly payment $515.93
    Term 29 months

Can I get an opinion on this as soon as possible??? We have the car to use for Sunday but need to make a decision on Monday.
  • z4luvz4luv Member Posts: 2
    Finally found the deal I was looking for (searched for a couple months).
    2004 3.0 manual
    Sport and Premium package.
    BMW cover and a few extras.
    Pristine condition.
    13,000 miles.
    Paid $18,000
    Flew from Portland to Idaho and drove the Z all the way home!
    Problem: after second CD, the player (dash) will not eject the CD. Radio and CD still work, but will not eject CD. Any ideas?
  • erdoranerdoran Member Posts: 62
    I have a quote on a leftover Z4s35i that amounts to $4000 UNDER invoice (invoice + $1k, minus the $5k past incentive) for a punched car with inservice date of 3/1/10. For $2500 more I could get a 2010 of course ($5000 incentive on 2009 vs $2500 on 2010) or I could go European delivery on 2011 and end up, after expenses, probably about the same price as a locally-delivered 2010. (I'm thinking in the abstract, obvious optioning affects things, and the 2009 has almost $3k in options I wouldn't order, but are nice to have.

If it were properly priced I'd seriously consider the '09 but it seems to me that it should really be further reduced because of the depreciation it must have, being two model years behind. What is a REASONABLE amount to deduct from the equation for depreciation?

Or, if you want specifics, MSRP is $61,345 and the car has Cold weather pkg, premium, sport, auto tranny, satellite radio, and IPOD.
    You can use depreciation to figure what a car is worth to you... but, the dealer has a cost structure.... You already know what that is... So, unless you know of another source for almost brand-new '09 Z4s, then you'll have to pay their price...

Given the parameters you've listed, I'd say a '10 model without the $3K in options that you don't need, would be the better buy.. Over $50K for an '09 seems like a lot.. (but, I'm cheap.. lol)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• midlifez4midlifez4 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a new 2009 Z4 35i. Car is completely loaded and sticker @ $64,900. Dealer is offering $52,000 with 4.75% purchase, but no lease option. Sounds like a great deal to me, but after reading all the incentives offered on the 09's, not sure this is the best I can do. Any advice?
    I just bought a 2009 Z4 30i completely loaded for $39,995, MSRP $57,695 in CT. Lease was available but very unattractive. I had to finance thru bmwfs to avoid disposition fee, 6.99%/24 mo but I financed the min and will pay it off as soon as they let me! Figure there is a 7% markup on these cars and calculate invoice, then add in a $5k incentive from early 2010. Chances are the car was "punched" which means the clock is running on the warranty & free maintenance. Specifically ask about the punch date!

Mine was about a deal of a lifetime! I would have grabbed yours if I had known about it, but would have offered about $45k or so (pulling a number out of a hat).
    Hello all. Need some guidance. I'm about a month away from the end of my 36-month, 12K mile per year lease. I've kept the car in great condition, and have put 39K miles on it so far. Haven't found anything for 2010/2011 that I'm in love with, plus, I'm having withdrawal symptoms from the thought of giving up "my" car, so I thought I'd buy it.

So, residual per my contract is $33K++
    Edmunds has appraised my car, with all options and mileage as follows:

Trade in: $22,632
    Private Party $25,227
    Dealer Retail $27,526
    Certified Used Vehicle $29,153

My dealer offered to sell me my leased car for $28,325, and he said that if I call BMW Financial services, they'll quote me the residual, and no lower.

Also, to upgrade my no-cost maintenance another 2 years (after 4-year original warranty) or 100K miles (whichev comes first) will cost another $2500

Question 1: What price of the Edmunds' quotes should I be negotiating toward? I thought that the "trade-in" price, was basically the wholesale value of the vehicle to the dealer, such that I should be negotiating closer to $22K, and not $28K

Question 2: Should extending my original warranty REALLY cost $2500? That's $1250 a year -- would I be spending THAT MUCH on maintenance/upkeep from year 4 onwards?

Any help on either question, or any insight on this post is much appreciated!
    :D
    Personally, if the dealer will CPO your car for that price I'd grab it. You could look at other similar cpos for the same year just for comparison, but factor in the mileage penalty you will have to pay. It doesn't hurt to try to get the price reduced further by quoting the cpo price of similar vehicles and autotrader.com prices as well as your edmunds.com valuation, but personally I don't think that's a terrible price (but I'm just a Z4 owner, not a pro)

As for the maintenance contract you are being ripped off. Dealer cost is $1395 and msrp is $1895. If you want to buy the car first work out the deal on the car itself and don't discuss the maintenance contract. AFTER that is finalized and in writing, then negotiate the maintenance contract. I think what they are doing is using extra markup on the maintenance contract to offset a decent deal on the car. Keep in mind that BMWFS charges the dealer a "loyalty adder" if the original lesee buys out his lease.

One caution is I'm not sure whether you can buy extended maintenance after you buy out the lease. Call BMWFS and ask them (I'm sure the dealer will say you can't) because it might be a "first owner only" deal-I'm not certain.

and remember you can do your lease buyout with ANY dealer, not just the one you leased through, so go see a couple more and see what you are offered. Good luck!
    Thanks, Doran.

So my plan is to buy my car out first, and keep it for the next year. BMWFS was the one who sent me an email allowing me to extend my original maintenance plan.

I believe you said that if the dealer is willing to sell me my car (CPO included), at $28,325, it's a good price. Unfortunately, the $28,325 was just to buy out the car, I'd need to pay extra for the maintenance upgrade or to CPO.

Now, you're saying I can buy my leased car from another dealer? I didn't know that -- literally, I thought since I am leasing my car from Pacific BMW/BMWFS, they are the only ones who can give me a final offer on the buy-out price.

That said, I hope someone out there can help with Question #1.

Question 1: What price of the Edmunds' quotes should I be negotiating toward? I
    thought that the "trade-in" price, was basically the wholesale value of the vehicle
    to the dealer, such that I should be negotiating closer to $22K, and not $28K.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY!
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Found a 2005 with 33,000 miles on it. I understand there was a facelift in 06? Not sure what the how significant that upgrade was. But the dealer has come down to 15,500 on the car. I'm feeling more room, that he'll move to 14, 900. It's a stick. Wasn't sure if I wanted a stick in this model till I drove it. I actually like it. I drove a new mazda mx 5 and it was a PITA with the six speed.

This one is sand color and a similar colored top. Not exactly the color I wanted. Has new run flats, brakes and a battery. It's got a power top and runs well. Any input on this at this price? Looks like I'm at about the private party price for it. I'd say it's between good and excellent condition. Should I go for it or is the 06 so much better to wait on? There is no warranty with this one. i kinda wanted to find an 06 CPO in the 16 or 17 range.

2 owners on this one. Seems like a lot of owner for such low miles and needing a battery, brakes and tires so soon? I've read about the tires being short lived, but....
    Some observations...

1) 6 years old.. not too surprised about the battery...brakes vary on BMWs, but anywhere between 30K-60K is not too surprising.. Tires, as well.. Higher performance tires.. 30K is about it...

2) Two owners in six years... A lot of BMWs are leased.. and, a lot of people buy a convertible that haven't had one before... and it just isn't for them.. that wouldn't put me off.

3) It's hard to find a CPO '06 model, because most of them would already be 5 years old...with only a year left on warranty... A dealer won't market an '06 as CPO, but you might find a private party that bought their's as CPO.

4) Without an option list, it's hard to be sure on the price, but that's pretty low miles for an '05... Price seems decent from a dealer (BMW dealer?).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the response. I just checked edmunds TMV on the vehicle. I didn't know the 2.5 was so much less than the 3.0 in this year.
    Trade-in $12,464
    Private Party Sale $13,817
    Dealer Retail $14,949

Just buying one as a toy. So given what I see here, I'm down to the private party price considering the color. I looked at the colors in that year for that car and there is no sand color. I guess it's possible the site just missed all the colors on that model? It looks like original paint. And the car fax is clean. Nice stereos in these cars.

The only added option I see is the power top that gives the proverbial thud when it hits the windshield. I understand that at least a TSB on this car. Really doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't damage anything.

This 2006 on ebay looks to be a CPO. Either that or they're trying to give the impression it is..?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250761076948&ssPag- eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Sure looks like CPO... the tipoff is the expiration date.... June, 2012.. If they were sellling some sort of third party warranty, it wouldn't expire in 17 months...

17 months of warranty goes by pretty fast... It adds some value, but not sure how much.... Of course, it gives you 17 months to decide if you have a problematic car that you might want to get rid of...

If the car is a toy.... then, I vote with going cheaper on the front end... rather than paying up for bigger engine, more warranty, etc, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.