Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• johnnjjohnnj Member Posts: 14
    Just picked up my '07 SE and if you look at the rear wheel wells the are like an all weather carpet, not plastic like the front. Is this Normal?

John.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The Ford Focus of all things used to have this same type of wheel well liner. (Maybe it still does.)

I think it helps with sound deadening.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes this is a new feature in this model Camry. It's intended to deaden the NVH from road noise and debris.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    fsowirles

Congrats on your new car! It's a beauty. Did you actually set out to buy a TL? What changed your mind? Did the TL feel comfortable? Please share some details - I know I can't be the only one who is comparing the TL to the SE V6. Thanks so much for any info.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I've got a black 05 SE V6. It was my first black car and will be my last. It looks great clean but keeping it clean is a real chore and every tiny scratch is visible when you get close. If you've had black before and can deal with this, more power to you. :)
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I drove both a year ago when the TL was arguably much better looking than the Camry. Ended up with the SE V6 anyway. For the driving I do, I just couldn't rationalize the extra $5-6000 for the TL. The fact that there is no local Acura dealer affected my decision also.
  • cameron7cameron7 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I asked at my local dealership about this, and supposedly it is there to further dampen the sound in the car.
  • mamakitty54mamakitty54 Member Posts: 3
    Went for the V4 instead of V6. Had a 4 in the Accord and was happy with it. Camry 4 seems to have as much pick up, maybe a little better. Also wanted better gas milage (looks like 30 mi/gal reasonable expectation based on first tank) and saved a couple thousand dollars on price. I am still adjusting to feel of the car versus Honda, but like it alot. Good luck on your car hunt.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    I drove and looked at nearly every sedan out there for sale between upper $20k to $40k. I was going to get a TL (literally on my way to sign the papers) and saw the new Camry sitting out in front of the dealer. I made a u-turn to look closer and test drive. After the test drive, I set out to check pricing on what I wanted. The TL is a great car, comfortable, fun to drive and loaded with options. The Camry is all of that for $5k less money.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Yea, they're a chore to keep clean, but they look so good! Previously owned a 97 black Maxima SE. I'd like to get a black 07 SE (Camry), but if one isn't available I'd settle for a couple other colors provided the options were right.
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Yeah I like the avalon, but it doesn't seem like I will be able to put a aftermarket navigation system in the car (avic z1). You sure the camry xle is smaller and better for the money, it seems like I get more with the camry then the touring avalon. Put i'll look more into it, thanks and God Bless.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Anybody got a picture of and 07 with side moldings?
  • gandyfiregandyfire Member Posts: 36
    just curious if Fitzmall charge MSRP or a different price. Also, how long of a wating list do they have?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Look them up on the internet. They show all their prices - volume dealer.
    Wow. Thanks for the info. It's great to hear the SE is as comfortable and fun to drive as the TL. Does the SE feel as fast as the TL? Is the road noise inside the car equal?

I must admit. I love the look of the TL, but now that I've seen the Camry (not an SE yet) in person the car is definitely growing on me. The TL somehow looks bigger than the Camry though.
    You're right. Black is a pain for the reasons you've stated. But, I just love the look of a black car. :blush:
    Yes, you would get more with an Camry XLE than with the Avalon Touring, but you have to remember you're comparing an apple with an orange. To be fair you'd have to compare the XLE to the Avalon Limited, or at least the XLS.
    For a time I had changed my mind & decided to go with the Touring, but backed away because the JBL system in the 06 Av doesn't have bluetooth, a feature I really want, so I'm back to a JBL equipped SE.
    If you're looking for all out comfort with all the goodies standard equipment, the XLE should do very nicely.
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    Actually, SE v6 is faster than TL, :)

source R&T: 0-60 6.1s vs. 6.3s

but TL should handle better.
    At Fitzmall Camrys seem to be $900 over invoice. Right now you can probably do better thru the internet department at a local dealer.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    If you want them to go $18,000 just get a friend to give them a call on the phone and tell them that and then all you have to do is go in and sign the papers with your friend. Your friend can say he is buying the car and giving it to you.
    Go to www.fitzmall.com

I got mine for $600 over invoice that way.
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Last response I had from Fitzmall for the Hybrid was...

- $500 (refundable) deposit
    - MSRP
    - 4-6 Weeks
    - your color combo
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    They say they are charging MSRP and expect that to hold for a good while. I don't know how long their wait list is now, but give them a call (or email) and they will be happy to tell you. I'm hoping that they will receive more hybrids than most local dealers so that their wait list will clear a little more quickly.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    No, it doesn't display your phone's phone book. But I don't think Acura does either, does it? The Camry has its own phone book which you can enter manually or by sending contact data from the phone. I'm pretty sure it does have caller ID.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    The Canadian Toyota Camry website shows an iPod interface as a $300 (Canadian) option. Does anyone know how that works and who makes it? I plan to get Nav on mine, and I'm very interested in controlling my iPod through the touchscreen. Are there other solutions for this that are compatible with the 2007 Camry? Thanks -
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'd like to gather the opinion of folks on this thread regarding:

the 07 Camry's cloth interior (LE) vs. the previous generation of Camry, as well as segment competitors such as the Sonata GLS, Accord LX/EX, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, in my limited experience with the vehicle (auto shows and dealerships), I have found the cloth in the LE to be superior to that of the previous generation, as well as to that in the Sonata GLS (which I recently had as a two week rental), and the Accord EX (which is owned by a very close personal friend).

just curious....

~alpha
  • markthr1markthr1 Member Posts: 9
    Really? Ok, that changes things a bit for me. From the info I've been able to find, it will transfer phonebooks from certain phones only. Have you heard that at all? When you say that it has caller ID, do you mean it displays the number or the name and number if it's stored in the phone book? Thanks for the info!
  • markthr1markthr1 Member Posts: 9
    Oh yeah, and no, the TL does not do that either,that's one of the things that I didn't like about it. In fact, I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think it uses the Nav screen at all for the BT option, only the "information screen" on the dash but I'm not 100% sure.
    Caller ID (incoming number only) appears on the NAV screen. The address book transfer functionality is very dependent on the phone and its capability and interoperability with the BT system of the Camry.
  • mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    Does this car exist? Can't find one in any Texas dealer inventory (available or arriving). I did order one (MSRP) but they can't tell me when it will arrive. Their likely just waiting for one to show up rather than actually ordering it. Fitzmall doesn't have one or know when one will show up. Don't bother with the resale value argument, I don't care to hear it. My G35 coupe is worth more than its auto counterpart, but it did cost more as well.
    While I would agree about the G35 coupe, a Camry sedan is a diff. animal that appeals to a diff. demo.

If you do it, do it because you want it. Don't fool yourself into thinking there is a resale advantage or even a wash. It will be like a strange color...unless you have the one guy looking for it, you can't get a premium for it.

Econ 101: the value of a widget is what someone is willing to pay for it. Supply and Demand only guide that willingness!
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Does anyone know if the nav in the new Camry for 2007, is exactly the same as in the Lexus LS or not. And if not,,,what the difference is. Thank you...
  • ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    I'm not sure about the LS but I know it's the same as the IS350's
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Since they don't allow you to use the touch screen with the nav while driving, I'm sure they would not allow you to play around with an iPod via the touchscreen either.
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Oh okay thanks, but the reason you recommended the Avalon is because of the size right? Is the avalon that much bigger than the avalon? I mean I hope the camry XLE can comfortably fit about 5 or 4 people. I have a 1995 camry, I don't if the interior size has gotten any bigger. But the camry 2007 just looks so much better to me. Thanks and God Bless
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Does anyone know what the towing capacities are? They use to be 2,000 and 3,500lbs. Thanks.
  • mookie5mookie5 Member Posts: 22
    no doubt, I want it. Addicted to shifting. Genetic, my 65 yo mother still drives a manual Integra.
    I think you'd find the Av definitely more robust than the Camry. As to riding 5 people in the XLE, not too sure if I'd want to be one of those 5 (if all are adults) in the back seat if the ride is further than across town! Don't know if the 07 is any larger either, but I can't imagine it would be a whole lot bigger if at all. Again, best thing to do is drive them both, figure out what features are most important to you, and be willing to compromise to get the best overall fit.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Today my wife and I took a test drive in both the Camry and Avalon. We started off most interested in the new Camry, to replace one we now own.

There's a lot to like about the new Camry XLE. The back seats are a little larger, the front seats are about the same overall--hip room up, head room down. And we both thought the Camry was the more attractive car.

Good luck in your car hunt.

However, I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. In terms of room and comfort, the Avalon wins hands down. We tested the Touring model. It handled extremely well, much better than the Camry. And I've reached an age when comfort matters! The Avalon's back seat is large.

We wished the Avalon's radio/cd was mp3 compatible and that it had the Camry's new 6-speed transmission. And the center dash isn't as user friendly as the Camry.

We may wait for the '07 Avalon. I'm pretty sure the cd player will be updated and there's a good chance the Avalon won't be left with an old transmission.
  • cwwestcwwest Member Posts: 1
    We went to the Toyota dealer to test an '07 Camry. It looked good in the pictures but strangely ugly in person. Why? My wife saw it - no side moldings. You know the strips that prevent (mostly) getting little door dings in parking lots. Really ruined an otherwise excellent car for 3 reasons. 1. No door protection. In a couple of months the sides of this car will probably look like it was 5 years old. 2. It makes the car look bloated. If you look at an Accord it not only has side trim but a sculptured horizontal crease that makes the car look lower and longer. and 3. With the plain expanse of undisturbed sheet metal even the XLE looks like a cheap bottom of the line model. Toyota really blew it. Don't think we can live with this. Very disappointed. Also the Toyota distributor in Central Texas loads all cars with very high priced, unnecessary accesories like $147 floor mats and $400 tire upgrade. Disgusting profiteering. Really wanted an '07 Camry - now am looking seriously at an '06 Honda. Maybe I can some trim, but those extras!!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Forget about door protection. You get dings anyway because other vehicle's mostly do not line up perfectly with any door moldings you may have.
    Plus, the dealer sells molding installation if you want to make a futile attempt anyway.
    People who really do not want door dings do not park their cars where a door ding is a possibility rather than having faith in protection offered by bodyside moldings.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Mazda3 owners are taking off their body side moldings because the car looks cleaner.

You can buy the body side moldings for about $120 and put them on yourself or pay the dealer to install for you.

I didn't want them and didn't want to pay for them as a standard on my '07 XLE.

On most cars they are just decorations, seldom at the height required to do much good. I've got them on my LHS and have 2 dents above the moldings from rear doors that had a high back being opened into me.
    I recall someone asking if the SE came with Toyo Proxes. Mine came with Michelin Energy MXV4. I did not remember when I ordered it to get the no charge all season tires in lieu of the perfo tires, so I guess I will be buying tires in a couple of years.
    Good insight. I've quietly wondered the same thing about waiting to see what happens with the 07 Av. Give me bluetooth, mp3 and a 6 speed and all the sudden the Av starts looking a whole lot better.

Toyota Aurion (Toyota of Australia) is going to make a supercharged version of the 3.5 for the sport line of their Camry-esque Avalon replacement.

Toyota Aurion
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    'disgusting profiteering' - welcome to the world of GST (Gulf States Toyota) and what happens when any mfgr. has a car in high demand. Been going on with the Avalon for over a year now although it has eased somewhat - but one of the reasons that Avalon Touring may represent a good alternative to many Camry buyers looking at the higher end V6 versions. Bigger, more comfortable, better ride than the SE, better handling than the other trims, and standard with the really important things like Xenons, leather. With sunroof, stability control (if you really want it), but without NAV should be able to be had in the same high 20's. No side moldings on Avalons either, but are available aftermarket.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Re. the lack of side protection . . . this is rampant in many new vehicles and is called "decontenting" in the industry. Another example of this in the new Camry is the exposed gooseneck trunk hinges. The latter was not the case with the previous generation Camry. Manufacturers are pulling money out of vehicles in some areas, to add content in others.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I have no problem as long as the content has been added in meaningful places. In the case of the Camry, for example, it has. Exposed gooseneck hinges in the trunk, not cool. But... completely redesigned vehicle for '07 with side air curtains standard... for the same price as the '06 LE plus side curtains. Ok, I'll take that.

Also, someone mentioned here the additional sound deadening that was placed in the rear wheel wells. I'll take that over concealed hinges too. Other nice tiny touches...Optitron instrumentation, which only the Accord also has in this class, no prop rods under the hood, middle rear head restraints, etc.

~alpha
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    In the Fort Worth Texas area, talk with Freeman Toyota's internet manager.

They will sell any new 2007 for $250 over invoice. He will also order it the way you want. He can get Camrys without all the profit options, oh I mean port options.

He offered me a 2007 LE, 4 cy, alloys and mats for $20,500.

I have no idea what his invoice includes as far as fees.

I had another dealer offer me the same car for $100 cheaper.
  • caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    Is this color possible to obtain in So. Cal.?? I checked inventory of many Toyota dealers and none have it! When I test drove the LE last weekend the dealer said he hasn't seen the color yet anywhere. My wife and I want to buy now but really wanted to see the Aloe Green first.