Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    First time poster from the Hyundai boards.. I think I recognize this person's lack of punctuations. Good try tho.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    #2927 of 2928 Re: Car mags have been slamming Toyota/Lexus [kdhspyder] by mackabee Apr 21, 2006 (7:26 pm)
    Replying to: kdhspyder (Apr 20, 2006 8:02 am)

Khds, I think Mr. GT does joust! Comparing a Mustang to a Camry would be akin to us comparing an FJ cruiser to a Volkswagen Beetle. That Cruiser can sure go through hills and boulders but that darn Beetle gets stuck in the mud. Me thinks gt may be from a competing brand and is trying to rain on our parade!

Mackabee

---------------------------------------------------------

Wrong. I am NOT from a competing brand and I am NOT trying to rain on your parade. I'm just giving you the facts on what I saw. That's all. I still like the 07 Toyota Camry. My wife is the one who wants to buy one. I would rather drive my Mustangs than the Camry, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to own one. Please don't accuse me of being from a competing brand or of raining on your parade because this is NOT true and that is NOT my intention.
  • vetteryanvetteryan Member Posts: 21
    I have been a lurker since the thread began. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge from all of you! I ended up putting in an order for a Japanese built 5 speed manual CE in Blue Ribbon color on March 21st. They called on Thursday and said the car was in. If anyone is interested in this model, I can do a full review when I get back. I live in Ohio, but had to order the car from Illinois because my sources (a few sales managers) tell me that my four-state region does not have any 5spds allocated to them. I can't wait! Having a great experience with a Prizm, now owning a Saab, I will love the reliability and quiet ride. BTW, I paid 17,700 + about $60 in doc fees. :)
    RYAN
  • johny641johny641 Member Posts: 15
    I have purchased two HID conversion kits for my low beams and my fogs. I have had no problem intalling them on my low beams but have encountered a problem installing them on my fog lights. I have not been able to get to the fog lights from the bottom of the car. I was hoping someone would be able to assist me in accesing the fog lights so I may replace them with HID'S. Thanks - Johnny
  • caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    Thank You for the pic! It is definitely a lighter green than the Toyota website.
  • caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    Thank You!! Great PICS!!
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    We wanted our 2007 SE V6 in the Aloe Green colour but in Canada, they do NOT offer that colour! We setled for the Titanium Silver.
    Have a great day
  • mitchjavmitchjav Member Posts: 15
    Did you ever get an answer on this? I got the same (Nav & XM) and I can't find the antenna. The XM reception is sure "spotty" though - on a drive from NJ to MA, I could barely get through one song without it cutting out. Much better on the way back, though.

Mitch
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I have an XLE V6 with NAV on order. It is listed as "satellite radio compatible", so do I just need to sign up with XM or Sirius or is there still something the dealer needs to do?
  • ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    What's the bulb size for the low beams
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You will need the satellite radio head unit installed by the dealer. Gonna run you another $500 or so with installation.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The satellite antenna is installed at the factory while the car is being built and is well-hidden.
    The XM antenna is added-on later and has to be put in plain view anyway because it takes a stronger signal for satellite radio to work than for the GPS to work.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    One thing that is EXTREMELY important to note is that the airbags in your daughters vehicle were the first generation of higher-powered airbags. Much has changed to manage that explosion in the 10 model years since that Olds hit the road. Auto manufacturers have paid more attention to ventilation, so that the hands/arms are not exposed to the gas discharge as they were back in the day.

I recall the IIHS testing a Volvo in the late 90s and the dummy's arms were singed by the gases, so in tests by the IIHS, we know that that kind of sustained injury information is available to consumers, which is a good thing.

Also, of course, cars like the Camry now have multiple levels of deployment severity, factoring in things like seat position, crash severity, and seatbelt usage. This goes for both driver AND passenger airbags.

Airbags, when first introduced were largely beneficial, but had a few significant downsides, especially in lower speed crashes (Thanks, US Gov't!). Now, though, those risks have been largely mitigated through the changes mentioned above....

~alpha
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    how much do you have to pay to get a camry with navigation?
    You have to look to see what the dealers have.
    Navigation is listed as $1200, but it requires the JBL bluetooth stereo on the SE which is about another $1000. The JBL stereo is already added to the base price of XLEs.
    Then you will never find one that isn't also loaded with leather and everything else, so you have to add the cost of all the other bundled options that are not really required according to the brochures, but just are that way in real life because that's the way they are always sent by the factory.
    They do not do custom orders. You can "order" an XLE 4 cylinder with cloth seats and navigation since that combination of options is available according to the brochures option lists, but the order is really only a request to redirect the next one that happens to get built that way to that dealership and may never be filled.
  • tidewatertidewater Member Posts: 69
    The least expensive Camry with Navigation I have seen is $26,500 - a Camry SE, with many options. (That is the internet price at Fitzmall - $1,000 over invoice). Camry will only sell you the Navigation systems on its most expensive models. It is my opinion that 'special ordering' with NAV is not really feasible.

Tidewater
    But do you know where they put the XM antenna?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    In the Northwest, an XLE 4cyl. would be the cheapest '07 Camry with NAV @ $25.8 w/o floor mats.

The SE V6 and XLE V6 would be about $2,000 more.

These prices are ~$300 over dealer invoice.

Can't build a Northwest package of the SE 4 cyl (manual or Auto) with NAV.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Next to the center mounted stoplight on the rear package shelf.

XM receiver mounted vertically in the trunk.

Done at the Port, area facility or dealer.
    So, I've looked and I've looked and I don't see the antenna or the receiver (it was installed - I do get XM channels). With nav in the car, do they put it someplace else? What does the antenna look like anyhow? And do you know who's reciever they use?

Mitch
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    2007 Camry doesn't offer HID as an option?

Even the Mazda 3 has that...
    It's good to hear that your brand new 07 Camry 5 speed manual is built in Japan. Your new 07 Camry will definitely be better built than the ones that are built in Georgetown, Kentucky. Japanese built Camrys are higher quality cars and they don't have the fit and finish and quality issues that the American made one have. The Japanese built Camrys are better built and have better quality materials. I wish that all the rest of the new 07 Camry 4 cylinders that were sold in the U.S. would also be built in Japan.
    Congratulations on your Japanese made Camry. You will love it.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>The Japanese built Camrys . . . have better quality materials.

Before saying that, you really ought to go look at the build sticker on Japan-built Camrys. They are made from 75% American parts, the same mix as those made in USA, i.e., they are made from the same parts!

Yep, they ship the parts to Japan, assemble them, and reship it all back to America, which explains why Toyota will build as few Camrys in Japan as possible.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    Just browsing here....but it's a shame you can't order what you want from Toyota. So much for choice. I looked at Avalons recently but didn't like what the dealers offered. In-laws have a 2005 Camry and it is the dulllllllllest car I've ever driven.

Hey, I just, gasp!, ordered a Pontiac EXACTLY the way I wanted it. The factory built it. No problemo. Now I drive it.
  • lonewolf1187lonewolf1187 Member Posts: 10
    anyone able to buy a white SE yet? if you do please post pics :) i wanna see how it looks before i buy it.
    But they are put together much better in Japan. The American built Camrys are not put together as well as the Japanese Camrys. There is definitely a difference. The Japanese ones are put together a whole lot better than the American made ones.
    It's bad, but I think they will start making more combinations of options available as they increase production over the next year. You still probably will never get to cherry pick options. If you want a fully loaded XLE V6, you will always be able to get that.
    Right now, for some models in some areas it looks like there are only one or 2 possible combinations of factory-installed options per trim line being delivered to dealers and your only other choice beyond that is to pick a color.
    Of course there is no shortage of pricey port and dealer-installed options to add-on to the cars.
  • johny641johny641 Member Posts: 15
    I have installed my 6000K H11 McCulloch HID Conversion kit on my 2007 Camry SE 3.5L V6. I put them on the low beams and the look amazing a must for everyone. I have the one for the fogs which are also H11, but have been having trouble accesing the fog lights to install it. Any help on installing HID's on the bottom fogs would be greatly appreciated.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Do you know of any imperical data to support this assertion?
    Of course there's no data to support this nonsense. It's his opinion based on no data or maybe a sample size of one. Just ignore it.
    Let's see, GM lost $10 billion dollars last year and Toyota made about that much. So whose business practices make more sense? The fact that you can't order exactly the Camry you want didn't prevent people from buying more than 400,000 of them.

Enjoy your Pontiac.
    This is false but you are entitled to your opinion.
    One of the reasons for the success of Toyota and Honda and soon Hyundai is that they build for what the majority of the market actually wants to buy. Therefore they get the largest segment of buyers through their doors then out onto the road.

Customers wanting specialized vehicles do have the option of buying from the smaller specialized nameplates like Pontiac and Mazda. Everyone is happy.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Japanese ones are put together better than American made?
    This opinion reminds me of the same rascist superiority thinking that was prevalent almost 70 years ago on the European continent.
  • ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    A toyota tech gave me the low beam bulb size of 9006. Is the H11's size pretty much the same as 9006? Thanks
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Easy people... While in the past there was a noticable difference in quality between a vehicle put together in Japan as opposed to one put together in North America. I personally feel that is no longer the case with certain manufacters. You will notice I wrote North America, as the Japanese build a huge amount of cars in Canada. The Suzuki Grand Vitara/Vitara, Toyota's Corolla, Matrix, and soon to be Rav and Hino trucks, Honda's Civic, Odessy, and Ridgeline are some of the vehicles produced in Canada. These vehicles are among the top of any quality list. It is my own opinion that the Japanese and Korean manufacters are learning to work with us North Americans and we should learn to work with them. :shades:
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    for those of us that remember - the US mfgrs. were put out of the 'small' car business in the 70's - when it started. Never able to build anything other than a V8, and the only thing they can come up with is atrocities like Pintos, Vegas and Omnis, In the meanwhile Toyota has the Corona and Corolla, Datsun the 510, and Honda the Accord/Civic a few years later. It was no contest especially in the clutches of our first 'fuel crisis'. So GM and Ford, in particular, have only been able to make any money because of all those V8 powered trucks and SUVs. And the mfgrs. don't make any money 'selling' cars to Hertz, Avis, corporations, and governemntal agencies - which is why you see very few Japanese (use that term advisedly, the Camry is more of an American car than the Focus, for example) cars at the rental lots.
    So now - deja vu - gas is $3+ a gallon, and the 'Detroit' mfgrs. still can't seem to manufacture a competitive 4 or 6 cylinder engine in cars that are reasonably well put together; and, of course, do not have the money anymore to do anything with product development (further sealing their fate). And although it may somehow make the consumer feel good to be able to buy a car at a few thousand dollars under invoice, I assure you that it does GM/Ford/Chrysler no good at all. Then, those same buyers wonder why that same 'deal car' has lost outrageous portions of its value shortly after leaving the showroom. The Koreans, after a few yeats of teething problems can seemingly make cars now competitive to many of the Japanese makes, but not so with GM/Ford/Chrysler.
    I'll contend that there are a number of us in this country that would prefer to buy American, if quality and value were even close. Which, of course, it hasn't been in over 30 years - and the current financial predicaments would seem to indicate that this will go on for another 30 - at which point the Chinese will probably own the US market.
  • califfamcaliffam Member Posts: 11
    Captin2 Thanks for your last post I agree 95% although I do pefer American trucks as I am a farmer and need something really heavy duty. Looking to get an 07 Camery in the next month if not sooner. After test driving two 07 Camrys in the last 2 days I'd call it a $29000, 30 MPG luxury Hot Rod sedan. You should have seen the salesman eyes pop out when I barked the tires across the intersection (not on purpose,just to much go pedal) with 3 people in the car! enough said.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    "I'll contend that there are a number of us in this country that would prefer to buy American, if quality and value were even close."
    Well put. With a well equipped family sedan @ nearly 30K and up, you have to make intelligent choices. I understand the US makers got caught with their pants down in the mid 70's, but they've had 3 decades to catch up, and haven't done so. My only conclusion is they simply don't care.
    They've narrowed the gap, but they still build whatever they want & expect us to dutifully go out and buy it.
    With Toyota now ranked #1 (fewest problems) by some consumer agencies, it only makes sense to go with the best.
    I have nothing against the 07 Camry. I really LOVE the car and the new style. But I do NOT believe that the materials that they use for it are high quality materials on the Camrys which are built in Kentucky. The ones that are built in Japan are built with better quality materials and if there is a problem that's detected with the fit and finish on a car, it is resolved. If the same car was built here in Kentucky, cheaper quality materials would be used and if a problem was detected with the same car, the company would "avoid" fixing it to make it right. That's what happened to my 97 Camry. It had to have the entire front suspension changed because it was making squeaking noises. They should have fixed this problem "BEFORE" allowing the car out of the manufacturing plant in Kentucky. They didn't. It was sold with a defect. The Japanese do NOT do this kind of thing. They fix things before a car leaves their manufacturing plant. This is what bothers me. Toyota cars that are built this way in the U.S.. They are NOT inspected the correct way in order to check them for squeaks and fit and finish problems. And the cheaper materials that are used to manufacture them here in the U.S. makes the U.S. built Camrys to have a greater chance of having fit and finish and quality issues.
    Why is it that you disagree with me about this. Quality control is a joke for any Japanese cars that are built here in the U.S.. Quality control exists, but it's not 100% effective in US. Toyota plants. And it's not 100% effective because Japanese U.S. manufacturing Toyota plants avoid "fixing" things to avoid higher production costs. Cars that are built in Japan do NOT have this issue because the Japanese use more care in the manufacturing process. Americans who build Japanese cars here in the U.S. do NOT care about this. They try to make the car 90% hogh quality and they leave out the 10% quality. It's the 10% quality that does NOT exist in the building process of a Japanese car that's built here in the U.S. which I am referring to here. If Toyota wants to build cars here in the U.S., it should correct this problem by using the same exact materials that they use in their manufacturing process in Japan and to also fix any problems that exists on theor cars "BEFORE" they are let out of the manufacturing plant. This is what they do NOT do and this is what I am complaining about. It seems that a lot of people in here do NOT want to believe this, but this is what is really going on with all Japanese cars which are built here in the U.S..
    This opinion is just that one person's uninformed opinion. You have no knowledge of what you state. Just begin your rant with IMO.. and everything will be OK, sir.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    I was told by a Toyota salesman that Allied Holdings handles the new vehicle transport for Toyota and that Camrys are piling up at Georgetown and being delivered more slowly than the production rate because of the Chapter 11 reorganization difficulties that Allied is undergoing. Is there any truth to this hearsay?
    You are making it up because there is no evidence of what you say other than your rants. It's getting to be silly since most here are multiple Camry owners and you keep repeating the same goofy stuff which none of us, except you, has ever encountered. Please just begin your statement with IMHO.. and there's no problem.

Refer to my profile: I've had 4 Camry's since 1989 and in driving them in excess of 500,000+ miles ( more than 30,000 mi/yr ) I've never encountered anything like what you state. In someone else's uninformed world you might sound like you knew what you were talking about. But not here on this forum. Pullleeze.

Just by saying it over and over doesnt' make it true.
    Maybe YOU never had any problems with an American built Camry, but I know quite a few people who "DID" have problems with American built Camrys. And all the Camrys had quality problems with fit and finish and with having "cheap" materials.
    You were lucky to not have a Camry that was built with cheap materials and to not have any fit and finish quality problems.
    The materials that Toyota uses to build their Camrys here in the U.S. is complete "JUNK". And the Kentucky manufacturing plant does NOT do what the Japanese plants do in order to have high quality materials and build quality on the U.S. built Camrys. This goes for all the rest of the Toyota cars that are also built here in the U.S. too. U.S. built Honda and Nissan cars have the same problems.
  • califfamcaliffam Member Posts: 11
    Ok then anybody I've seen American built and Japan built Camrys in the last few days, if you want one, you want one, what can you say. Maybe the color you want isn't built where you like.so what can you do? At some point all Camrys may be USA built. If a dealer has a 100 Camrys and all but 2 are built in the US so what are you going to do.
    You get the point. As for me I've bigger things to worry about. I'ts still a Toyota for Pete sake!!!
    I know repeating the same statements without facts solidifies it in your mind..but it also makes you look foolish in public. FWIW.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    Has anyone bought a 2007 Camry with Sirius sat radio either port or dealer installed? I'm curious about the antenna (location, whether inside or outside, and how it looks) and how it integrates with the dashboard display. Salesmen I've talked to know nothing about Sirius installs. I guess it's not common.

I currently use a Sirius S50 in my 1993 Camry - works very well and no reception problems. Antenna (1.5 inch diameter flat disk) is outside car on roof near front windshield on the corner on the passenger side. From Sirius forums I've heard that inside installation of antenna creates reception problems.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Well, IMHO you have a small sample and therefore cannot make such a blanket statement. If this is so then my sample of 2 (two) 100% Japan made Lexus LS400s should qualify me to say that Japan made cars are not THAT good, since both had problems with design (steering pumps die early) and both had problems with the tilt/telescoping mechanism (lost memory). The latest one had a door handle crack, and rattles and squeaks. It also had a leaky rack, in addition to the pump. It goes to show that QA can be variable even for Japan made cars. How can you say that US made parts are JUNK? The 07 Camry I have is US made out of 75% US parts. It is a fine car and the quality of the parts look great to me. The engine is US made. It is smooth, powerful, economical and responsive. Of course, it is an XLE, and I expect it to have finer materials, and this car delivers.

I have had Accords, Volvos, and other cars: this US made Camry is among the best I have owned. I know people who work at US sub contractors who make parts for US companies as well as Toyota. They say that the standards that Toyota has for parts are higher than what the US companies require. Standards are standards, whether a part is made here or in Japan. What you are saying is that Toyota is using lower standards for US made cars that for Japan made. I don't believe that.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I don't post here often, and I hesitate to do so now, seems like it is just feeding your un-substantiated comments. Like kdhspyder said, either preface your comments with something like "in my opinion" or, "in my experience".

IMHO..........

For what it is worth, I have been an owner of Toyotas for many, many years. They are not perfect, no car is. In 1992, I bought my first Camry (not my first Toyota). We had the choice of US built or Japanese built vehicles at that time. We thought the same as you...that the Japaneae ones HAD TO BE BETTER...RIGHT??? Well..after looking over several examples of both, we purposely chose the US built one..why? simple...the molded carpets didn't fit the floor as well on the Japanese ones, and the sunvisors were very obviously inferior to the US built ones. Much skinnier, and much more flimsey.

Based on our satisfaction with the 92 US built Camry, we later went to buy a 93 Camry. We again did the same process to determine if we cared which country of origin to choose for our 2nd Camry (which was an additional vehicle..not replacing the 92). We again choose a US built one.

In 2003, we set out to buy another Camry, an SE. This time, we again faithfully did our research, and couldn't see any difference between the Japanese and US builds. We ended up with a US built, just accidently, BTW and have had ZERO reason to bring it to the dealer, other than oil changes in 40,000 miles.

If you are so sure of your comments about the quality of the US built Camrys, provide some varifiable facts documented by credible sources, and (IMHO) I believe all here will then agree with you. Until that time, I believe that you are fighting a loosing battle. Again IMHO.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Cobra

I don't want to pile on but...I have a few questions.

You say: "I know quite a few people who "DID" have problems with American built Camrys"

How many people exactly? 20? 30? Let's say you actually know 30 people who own American made Camrys. Lets go a step farther and say, every one of them had a problem. Does it mean that ALL American Camrys are bad?

You say: "The materials that Toyota uses to build their Camrys here in the U.S. is complete "JUNK"."

How do you know this? Do you personally inspect ALL materials that go into the American Camrys? If so, what is your frame of reference?

You continue: "And the Kentucky manufacturing plant does NOT do what the Japanese plants do in order to have high quality materials and build quality on the U.S. built Camrys. This goes for all the rest of the Toyota cars that are also built here in the U.S. too. U.S. built Honda and Nissan cars have the same problems."

How do you know this? Have you personally been to The Japanese assembly plants where ALL Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans are built, and directly compared their processes and procedures to their American counter parts?

If you've answered "no" to any of these questions, then you might be able see why other readers of these forums might be a little skeptical of your...thinking.