Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    "I'll contend that there are a number of us in this country that would prefer to buy American, if quality and value were even close."
    Well put. With a well equipped family sedan nearly 30K and up, you have to make intelligent choices. I understand the US makers got caught with their pants down in the mid 70's, but they've had 3 decades to catch up, and haven't done so. My only conclusion is they simply don't care.
    They've narrowed the gap, but they still build whatever they want & expect us to dutifully go out and buy it.
    With Toyota now ranked #1 (fewest problems) by some consumer agencies, it only makes sense to go with the best.

Ummmm, you guys need to get off your rumps and do some research. Try driving something different. And as far as 'they still build whatever they want and expect us to dutifully go out and buy it....' comment: My original comment was that with Toyota you CANNOT get exactly what you want... The fact is, Toyota builds whatever it wants and, yes, expects you to dutifully go out and buy it.

As to quality, the new Avalon doesn't do well. Look at the forums on this website. And, ahem, even my new Pontiac grand prix ranks better than a Camry according to JD Power....

I just like the truth, not bs. Toyota builds some reliable cars. They build some so-so cars. Very few are memorable, however.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I, and MANY other Camry buyers disagree strongly with your heavily opinionated statement. I'm not trying to get in on this quibble between a couple of you, but it would make you sound a lot more credible and able to be taken somewhat seriously if you'd be willing to admit that what you are stating is opinion. It is, whether you believe it or not.

I have a U.S. build Honda with 160,000 miles on it, and have spent only $300 on it for repairs in its ENTIRE lifetime. The interior looks nearly as good as it did 11 years ago!

Other than bad lighting on my picture and leather on the stock photo, I can't tell much of a difference. The second picture was taken of a brand new 1995 EX. My pic was taken at 155,000 miles, at 10 years old on my LX. No junk here, just incredibly reliable, well manufactured, U.S. Honda.
  • havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    Very touchy subject. The fact of the matter is that Toyota builds better quality vehicles than the domestics. This is not fantasy, conjecture, or opinion. To raise an argument as to which Toyotas are more reliable (U.S. vs. Japan built) will undoubtably hurt peoples feelings and make hard working Americans feel guilty of even buying an import brand.
    I doubt that there are easily accesable reports on which to compare the quality of the two. But do this: Ask someone who works for Toyota (not the salesmen) which they would prefer. They will tell you that either is acceptable but...if it were them they'd prefer that "J" in the VIN before they made their purchase.
    It's really up to you. Would you prefer a "hecho en mexico" Ford Fushion, Chevy, or even a Pontiac?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My new 2006 Sienna LE had the 2nd row passenger side bucket seat installed WRONG at the Toyota factory. It also had a sheet metal screw in the right rear tire. The front HVAC fan is not as quiet as the fan in the T&C nor does it provide as much air flow as the T&C fan.
    Time will tell if it will be as reliable as the 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that it replaced.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This argument is going nowhere, and it's not helpful to drag in other vehicles and countries. It's time to move on.

We're talking about the '07 Camry - let's get back to it.

Thanks.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    As to quality, the new Avalon doesn't do well. Look at the forums on this website. And, ahem, even my new Pontiac grand prix ranks better than a Camry according to JD Power....

JD Powers initial quality means didly sqat. No wonder people dont pay any attention to them. As far as claiming that the GP is a better car than the Avy, just wait about 5 or 6 years. Your Grand Prix would be worth less than a bicycle. And if GM bites the dust by then, your Grand Prix would be virtually worthless. Well at least GM's car quality now matches their credit ratings.
  • johnnjjohnnj Member Posts: 14
    Just my opinion to all this Domestic/Import cars. I'm a firm believer in buying American cars but I just can't take the abuse anymore. Following is a list of cars I've own:

1)1991 Cavalier(New) - Died around 90,000 miles
    2)1995 Eagle Vision(New) - Bad cyclinder around 15,000 miles
    3)1991 Grand Prix SE(Used) - Around 85,000 Spark Plug shot out of cyclinder, plus numerous of other problems
    4)1997 Ford Explorer(New) - 9,000 miles Transmission line broke and leak all fluid. 20,000 miles Pully on motor for belt broke.
    5)1999 Dodge Avenger(New) - This car never made it past 6,000 miles. It sat more at the shop then my driveway
    6)2001 Cavalier(Used) - I have to say this car did good up till 165,000 miles the it died
    7)2001 Yukon XL Denali(Used) - Still own this truck, but have problems with Trans Fluid Leaking, Motor acting strange at times.
    8)1995 Toyota Camry(Used) - Still own this car with 180,000 miles and the only thing I need to do to it was new tires, and honestly I abuse this car by not changing oil for like 20,000 miles each time. The only reason I purchased a new '07 camry was that this '95 camry design was getting old on me.
    9)2007 Camry SE(New)- Love it....
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Why are you trying to kill your '95 Camry? You could sell it for a decent sum of cash if you don't want it anymore, but with Toyota's bad rep for sludge, it seems like I'd be changing the oil at 5,000 miles at least, MAYBE going as long as 7,000.
    Your 1999 Dodge Avenger was a JAPANESE made Mitsubishi. :sick: Don't tell people how well foreign made cars are when one of your worst was made in JAPAN.
    Stay with Toyota Camry ;) if you want Japanese made / Japanese brand reliability.
  • johnnjjohnnj Member Posts: 14
    Well, actually only the motor was made by Mitsubishi on that avenger that I had. But then again, I don't like Mitsubishi. With that car I had problems with:
    Struts
    Wiring
    Computer
    I forget the rest...
    This excerpt from Edmund's data on the 1999 Dodge Avenger has me confused since it states the Avenger is Mitsubishi Galant-based:

" Overview:
    Nobody misses the Dodge Daytona. You will recall that the Daytona was a front-wheel drive sport coupe based on the K-Car chassis. After a decade on the market with minimal changes, Chrysler mercifully pulled the plug on the Daytona, replacing it with the Mitsubishi Galant-based Avenger sport coupe in 1995."

Even if it was made in the USA, it was designed by Japanese Mitsubishi. :shades:

STAY with Toyota Camry for a reliable, dependable mid-size car. ;)
    We really need to get back to the Camry here. Check in Automotive News for an appropriate discussion, or if you don't see one, you can create it.

I'd really appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    I was looking at an Camry XLS the other day and the sticker said the radio was both XM and Sirius ready, I didn't know anyone made radio's like that yet....I don't recall the brand.
    One question, do they offer remote start on the new Camry? :)
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Yes, and my SE V6 has it. It integrates into the keyless entry FOB. You press the lock button three times, holding it for a few seconds on the third time. This starts the engine. The unlock button turns the engine off.

As for the XM/Sirius thing, many OEM radios these days are "Satellite Radio" ready or prepared. This means you can use the tuner of whichever you choose and have it installed into the car. Some of the makes that are exclusive to one or the other are GM which owns Hughes, and in turn has a vested interest in XM, Honda which I believe is still under a contract with XM (including Acura).
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    thanks for the info....how is your mileage on the v6 so far? According to the sticker it is very close to the 4 cylinder
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    JD Powers initial quality means didly sqat. No wonder people dont pay any attention to them. As far as claiming that the GP is a better car than the Avy, just wait about 5 or 6 years. Your Grand Prix would be worth less than a bicycle. And if GM bites the dust by then, your Grand Prix would be virtually worthless. Well at least GM's car quality now matches their credit ratings.

Gee, there's some very insightful commentary here. :blush:

I guess I could also refer you to Consumer Reports. Look up Camry, Avalon and Grand Prix. Look at the reliability stats in recent years.... Avalon is weak, Camry is good, Grand Prix is just as good. Shocking, I know.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I guess there must be a forum for the Grand Prix .. somewhere. But discussing it's merits on the Camry forum is somewhat out of place wouldn't you say?
    Yes it is out of place. Thank you. :-)
  • neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    There is no such thing as a Camry "XLS". So either you are talking about the Camry "XLE" or the Avalon "XLS".

Moving on, can anybody on here with the "SE" 2007 Camry please tell me if there is really a difference between the headlights on that model and the non-SE models? Toyota keeps saying that the lights are "blacked-out" but in most pics I see the lights all look the same across the board with the multi-reflector "silver colored" headlamps. A few pics I've come across the light housing does look like its trimmed in black like the 2002-2006 SE's but its hard to tell on the 2007s. Any close-up pics or written confirmation would be appreciated.
  • supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    The 1st pic is a SE, and the 2nd pic is an XLE light housing. This is the best I can find:

• ralphs007ralphs007 Member Posts: 12
    HI
    Could someone explain what this option is (50 State Emissions)
    Thanks
    Ralph
    The ONLY difference I see is that the outside light is turned on in the 2nd photo and not turned on in the first.
    Is there any REAL difference if both have the outside lamp turned on? :confuse:
    that will interest some of you. I should have linked it for you earlier: Buying American Cars: What does It Mean?

Enjoy!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    EPA on the V6 is 6-8% lower than the I4.

Read the Camry MPG forum.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Look at the barrel outside of the light. It's black on the SE and chrome on the XLE. It's the same way on the 2002-06 models.
  • neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    I kinda assumed thats the so-called "black sports trim" Toyota was referring too but its not a significant enough difference in my opinion. The Gen 5 Camry's had the ENTIRE housing trimmed in black, not just the outter part of the headlight lens. If Honda could make the new Civics headlights with all-around black trim then I don't understand why Toyota couldn't. I guess maybe during the mid-cycle upgrade they'll realize their mistake.
    THANKS for the clarification. Is that why the XLE costs more than the SE? :shades:
    XLE has more standard features!!!!!!!!!!
  • solman6solman6 Member Posts: 1
    That means that the car can be registered in any of the 50 states. If you moved to California from say North Carolina in an older car without 50 state Emissions you may not be able to register it in California. Likewise many older cars from Massachusetts were sold with California standard emissions so that car wouldn't have a problem. Toyota eliminates the guess work by meeting the emissions standards in all 50 states. I hope that helps.
  • ralphs007ralphs007 Member Posts: 12
    Hi solman6
    Thank you!
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    and this would be the reason I have been following this particular site - to see if some documented transmission control problems that do exist in the 5 speed Avalon appear also in the 6 speed Camry or actually worsen with the extra gear.
    what you folks need to understand is that your transmission is computer controlled, has a 'learning capability, and that is 'programmed' for fuel economy. As such, the transmission will hold the highest gears possible to minimize engine revs - it doesn't like to downshift so that in the Camry's case the transmission may be holding onto 6th gear all the way down to 20 or 30 mph. This creates situations that 3 and 4 gear downshifts are needed when power is reapplied. Which is where the 'gear hunting' and delays do happen on acceleration.
    This has been discussed to death on the Avalon forums all the way down to analyzing gas pedal design! To my knowledge, nothing as major in the Av as what faldoc is reporting or any problems with the transmission itself - only the way (IMO) that Toyota has chosen to control it.
    Will be interesting to see what, if any, reaction Toyota has to continuing complaints like this especially if the new 6 speed is actually 'worse' in this regard than the 5 - Avalon owners have generally found an 'it's working as designed' attitude.
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    This is not a new "problem". It started with the Toyota DBW 5 speed and effects all Toyota and Lexus with this tranny. I have lived with it in 2004 HL since I bought it. My daughter lives with it 2006 Camry. My 2003 Avalon with 4 speed is fine. I no longer make excuses for a poor design.I will vote with my feet. As a 5 Toyota family my loyalties have been compromised.
    My next vehicle will not be a Toyota!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Oh well, just thought I'd get around to ordering a set of Service Manuals for the 2007 Camry, only to find out when I called that the set of 4 manuals and 1 elec total $725. Heck, could almost get a set of new rims and tires for that price. This is my first ever Toyota in almost 40 years of buying cars.....were the older model Toyota manuals this expensive as well? Are these manuals soooo much better than other mfg's?
    No.

Use your search engine and go to the Toyota TIS library site. I can't give you the site address on an Edmunds forum site.

You can sign up for a 24 hour service for $10 and download information, service items, TSBs, etc.

You can sign up for a whole year a lot cheaper than $725!!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Wow....excellent...Thanks!
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I find it really strange that this type of transmission problem can go on for three or four years without resolution...what is wrong with toyota?
    bottom line - I don't think that Toyota will admit to it being a problem - and the condition surely hasn't hurt sales and ratings. And a number of Toyota and Lexus owners may agree with Toyota simply because it is most bothersome to those with more aggressive driving styles. And keep in mind that drivability issues are not limited to Toyota - many German cars (VW and MB), some GM and Chrsler products all have similar reports of 'indecisiveness'on their electronically controlled transmissions. And it wasn't just a few years ago that Acura/Honda could even stop their trannies from failing altogether. Not intended as an excuse for Toyota, just history and an overapplication of technology?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The perplexing thing for me is that this powertrain is used in the IS350, and has not been reported as deficient. And what about RAV4 owners that have the Avalon's 5A?

It seems to me that there is an issue of the design, which in some models has lead to downshift hesitiation (though that was supposedly cured for this iteration of the transmission), and actual failure of the transmission itself, which seems to be the actual complaint on the 6A.

~alpha
    It could be a failure of a part (solenoid) that is from a different vendor or a defect in a purchased part that is not used in Japan.

Chill out and let Toyota investigate.
    A link to that site would be most welcome! No reason not to post it. :)
    that this powertrain is used in the IS350
    well, yes and no, the engine modified to over 300 hp and the IS is RWD. Keep in mind that the new IS is a legitimate hot rod designed to blow the doors off anyhting else in its class (which I guess it does) so therefore it is logical to assume that Toyota has dispensed with worrying too much about mpg and is more concerned with 0-60 times. Would wager that the tranny programming is substantially different. The RAV4, however, should suffer from the same malady.
    And, no njerald, this is not a defective 'US made' part (by your tone, I guess all parts made in the US must be defective?) - if it was as simple as that it would have been discovered and fixed long ago! It is simply the way, love it or leave it, that Toyota has been designing their transmissions to work ever since the advent of the silly electronic (DBW) controls. My suspicion is that the 'fix' may be as simple as a chip replacement in the ECU, which in and of itself is probably not expensive to do, but may cost a coupla of those treasured mpgs
    http://techinfo.lexus.com/

Daily $10.00 US
    Monthly $50.00 US
    Yearly $350.00 US

If you subscribe on a daily basis you get more than 24 hours (til midnight the next night) to down load info and repair files.
    And, no njerald, this is not a defective 'US made' part (by your tone, I guess all parts made in the US must be defective?)

Number 1 - you are paranoid, (my tone?)

Number 2 - You have no idea what is wrong, you have a suspicion (feeling).
  • satul96satul96 Member Posts: 16
    Hello Guys
    I am new to this forum. I would like to know your opinions. I am a new driver and this is my first car. I am interested in Camry 2007 LE 4 cyln automatic. I test drove this trim and I liked it. My dealer is quoting
    19294 + tax+doc fee + Lic fee. I got this price after $400 rebate becos I am a new collge graduate. I liked its interior however I noticed one thing after driving Honda Accord,Sonata and this camry. I feel that when it start from rest initailly there is jerk of gear change at lower speed in automatic model. I am not sure becos I am new driver. I also feel the same jerk in accord ( it was less than camry) but not in sonata ( but this sonata was V6 I do not whether it makes a diff).

Can somebody clarify this doubt? and the deal I am getting is good or not.

Has anybody purchased LE and feel the same thing. what mpg you guys are getting?
    Thanks
    Atul.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new topic has been created and some posts from this discussion have been moved to 2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Issue. Please go there to discuss this issue.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Watch the DOC Fee because it very high with some dealers. Go to www.fitzmall.com, you can get the true invoice on LE models. Dealers in the Washington,DC are asking about $800. over invoice.
  • satul96satul96 Member Posts: 16
    Hello Guys
    I am new to this forum. I would like to know your opinions. I am a new driver and this is my first car. I am interested in Camry 2007 LE 4 cyln automatic. I test drove this trim and I liked it. My dealer is quoting
    19294 + tax+doc fee + Lic fee. I got this price after $400 rebate becos I am a new collge graduate. I liked its interior however I noticed one thing after driving Honda Accord,Sonata and this camry. I feel that when it start from rest initailly there is jerk of gear change at lower speed in automatic model. I am not sure becos I am new driver. I also feel the same jerk in accord ( it was less than camry) but not in sonata ( but this sonata was V6 I do not whether it makes a diff).

Can somebody clarify this doubt? and the deal I am getting is good or not.

Has anybody purchased LE and feel the same thing. what mpg you guys are getting?
    Thanks
    Atul.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Toyota is no different than Honda. Honda transmissions in all of their V6 equipped cars have been problematic since 1998 - almost ten years.

Honda usually acknoweledges the problem and will extend the tranny warranties to 100k. One catch, they never find a solution to the problem. When they replace your tranny they give you another "remanufactured" unit with the same flaws.

I know firsthand - 2 trannies in my '00 Odyssey (95k & 105k miles) and 1 tranny in my '03 Accord at 45k.

Go figure. I am thinking of buying a new Camry. This time I will get a 4 popper. They seem to be the most reliable. Had a '94 Camry with 165k and original trans.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I've used this service and it's excellent, plus well worth the investment.

Interestingly, my wife bought a Hyundai a few months ago (surprise), and their corporate website allows all owner's full access free-of-charge to TSB's and all technical info/service manuals online. All one has to do is register and provide the VIN of the vehicle. This sounds like a great idea that all manufacturers should provide.

She hasn't needed the service, but it's nice to know it's there at no charge if required.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I agree on the manual transmission. I was on a business trip to Geneva, Switzerland a couple of years ago, and my Swiss business colleague was shocked when he saw I was driving a car with a 5-speed stick. He said: "I thought Americans only drove automatics?" I had to laugh at that, as I've owned at least one stick shift vehicle since 1968.

One thing on the Toyota 6-speed automatic . . . if this was another product other than Toyota (or Honda, for example), it would not only be crucified on Edmunds and on Usenet, but owner's would be questioning the quality of the vehicle. It proves two things: the altruism of Toyota owners, and that all cars, especially those with new mechanical bits-and-pieces, can have problems.