Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    How does the door work to conceal the iPod wires?
    I thought they put a pocket on the passenger side of the console where you are supposed to hang an iPod sitting out and exposed in plain view waiting to be stolen and also out of arms reach of the driver.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Commonly referred to as an 'Easter egg'. It's not shown anywhere but on the side cubby where one might put an MP3 player there are two caps which when opened allow you to pass the wire through a hole to plug into the AUX jack. In this way you don't have to open the front panel and have wiring all over.

You can also disconnet the wiring from the MP3 player and take the player with you or just store it out of sight.
    Why keep moving and unplugging the mp3 player when you park?
    Who wants that hassle?
    It would have been better if the AUX and power port were under the center armrest under a flip up lid by the gearshift where it would be hidden and easily accessible at the same time with no dangling wires hanging out.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You are right. That's the way it is in most vehicles now. This new model has it done differently. Trying to be unique? Input from some focus group? I have no idea but it's there now for the near term.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Extend the AUX into the center armrest.

Simple enough, even though Toyota should have done it.
  • angela8angela8 Member Posts: 11
    Glad to hear your VIN is a high number...you should be fine. I get my baby back on Monday.
  • neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    I called Carmax Toyota in Maryland and did an over-the-phone loan application and I was approved! Got a pretty nice interested rate too. Imma miss my 2002 Camry LE more than words can express. It was my first car and I love my baby but I have to move on. Gosh, I feel like such a whore! Anyway, I am getting an 07 Camry SE in Titanium Metallic. No need for a V6 even though i'd murder for one. Too much for my limited budget and with gas the way it is... Anyway, if I do get the car I might post some pic links but I think everyone's seen enough pics of the new Camry. Anyway, good luck to me!
  • pickles077pickles077 Member Posts: 30
    I found in direct sunlight with sunshades on it was almost impossible to see the instruments in the dash,
    until I turned the dash lights control to maximum lighting.
    P.
  • gen4gen4 Member Posts: 3
    Congratulation with your new camry. what APR you get?
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    Has anyone installed a sharkfin antenna for XM radio on the new Camry? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks -
  • keith61keith61 Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my new Camry yesterday evening. It is a gold 2007 LE 4cl. with leather, moon roof and alloy wheels. The one word that describes the new Camry is WOW!!!

My next door neighbor has a 5 year old Camry. When I pulled up to my house my wife said " I thought you were getting a car like the neighbors". The ride is very smooth and the MP3 port access is awesome. My other neighbor that owns a Lexus could not believe it was a Camry.

I had been looking at the Accord but when I saw a picture on the new Camry I knew that would be my next car. Thanks to this forum I was able to get pre-approved on my loan and had all of the information I needed.

I did go to the Honda dealership to get my game face on. They had a 2006 Accord in stock that I liked. I was able to get them down on the price. They had a $499 doc-fee and would not give me much for my car. I told them I was going to the Toyota dealership to look at the new Camry.

Once at the Toyota dealership I test drove a base LE with nothing on it. They located me the Camry I wanted. The deal was very painless thanks everyone here.I was able to get a better deal on the my new Camry than the 2006 Honda.
  • bhbobbhbob Member Posts: 9
    For those of you looking at keyless entry system like on the new Camry, you may want to read this article.

http://tinyurl.com/h53hx

Interesting.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Seems like where the Aux port is with the power supply being hidden by the door is a reasonable place to hide an Ipod already.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Yes, interesting. But when an article uses the word "allege" in examples that are supposed to be "real world," it's credibility suffers.

Toyota wants you to use that pocket on the right side of the console as pictured above.
    That is a very awkward reach for the driver and any iPod left unattended there will make the car a target for "smash and grab" thieves.

You could unplug the portable mp3 player and take it with you or move it to the glove compartment every time you park, but that's too much hassle.

The storage are where the AUX port is better for security than that exposed MP3 player pocket they designed, but still still not nearly as nice as being right at arms reach under the center armrest. If the aux and power ports where under the center armrest instead, that would have been great.
  • neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    Thank you much. My APR was 8.3% so I thinks that pretty good...not the best but good. And I changed my mind at the last moment and got the Camry in Blue Ribbon. Everyone was marveling at the car. I got so many compliment in an hour time frame it was crazy.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm sure you got a good deal, and it sounds like you got the car you wanted, so it worked out for you...but...I just can't believe you "got a better deal" on a new Camry than you could have on the Accord. Maybe you ran into a bad Honda dealer, I don't know, but Accords are routinely going for at or under invoice, and there is $750 dealer cash sitting on the table to be had by savvy customers.

There is NO WAY Toyota is doing this on '07 Camry's. Right now, if you were to shop Accords and Camry's equipped the same way, the Honda is going to be significantly cheaper virtually every time.

I'm not saying the new Camry isn't worth it, or trying to start an argument. I'm just speaking facts. A car in the first few months of its model life is going to cost more than one that's been out there for a while. Particularly if said car was already #1 in sales. If Toyota dealers have to sell new Camry's under invoice like Honda dealers are doing right now, something is wrong.

And as for that doc fee---that's just murder. Nobody reasonable is going to pay that. If you negotiate the doc fee with the price of the car and make it one package, it should work out.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    The article indeed appears to have reported 2nd-hand information about the Czech car thief, or perhaps he hadn't been convicted yet as of the article writing, but the technological logic looks solid.

I suppose in real world terms there's little concern for the 07 Camry and the like to be stolen via decryption technology because there's not a fence market for it, but for a luxury car that's coveted, say, outside the US, the risk could be compelling. That the criminal geeks could conceivably duplicate a smart key fob and sell the stolen car without signs of physical tampering makes the crime attractive. The fob OEMs really need to use 128- instead of just 40-bit encryption.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    I've been in the market for a new auto. I'm not really sure what I want, but I've narrowed it down to the Camry XLE, Dodge Charger or Mazda 6. I've always heard about the stellar reputation of the Toyotas, so I was learning more to the side of the Camry. Low and behold, I read about the transmissions issues. I spent the better part of 3-hours last night catching up with all the data about the issue. This probably explains why I don't see any of these autos at my local dealers.

At any rate, I still want to test drive the Camry and go from there. I'm sorry to hear about those who have had the trouble. I can appreciate your fustrations. I does sound like Toyota is doing what they can to remedy the issue, however my biggest issue is that they will not communication a VIN range of cars that could be affected. I'm not sure if it's because they don't want to or they can't. At any rate, I'd be fearful that sometime down the road this issue would surface and would be SOL.

I'm not sure what to do now.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I'm not sure what to do now.

Don't worry and fret about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • keith61keith61 Member Posts: 6
    I understand what you are saying. I live in Tennessee and the county I live in borders next to Georgia. It appears the Tennessee in the Ohio region of Toyota and Georgia is in the Southeastern division.

The two Toyota dealers in Tn would not come off a dime. So I went to Georgia and the gave me discount right off the bat. They did not included the Southeastern fee. They also gave me more for my trade-in and had a smaller doc-fee.

After this my purchase price was less than the Accord. The only things I did not get was the 6 disk changer with XM and dual air. But I did get a better looking car that I can play my MP3 player on.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    There is a fence market for anything. Your only going to get more for the Mercedes than a Camry, but as the saying goes. Your better to steal 5 cents from everyone than a million from one person. You would of thought car companies would of thought of this high tech theft possibility. They are in the business of making cars to replace stolen ones too I suppose. :(
  • gefiltegefilte Member Posts: 21
    whe doesnt toyota just leave the plastic wal-mart style wheel covers on the bottom of the line ce only?why must i have to spend $21ooo+ and then request from some jerk salesman to put alloy wheels on the vehicle? when will these bottom line oriented companies ever realize exactly what consumers want? :confuse:
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, you DO get side airbags standard now!

Besides steel wheels have some advantages. You don't have to cringe every time you parallel park and scrape the cheapo wheel covers. Similarly, when it's time to get new tires, you don't have to fret that "Bubba" the tire man will mangle your alloys on the tire changing machine!

But it would be sort of nice if they could bring back metal wheel covers. I'd even go for the old "dog dish" hubcaps with separate trim rings.
  • zulf_szulf_s Member Posts: 8
    OK, you asked for it.

I "just" wanted to add some more bass, however this journey quickly turned from "just" adding more bass to replacing all speakers. However, after a good needs/wants test, I decided to "just" add a subwoofer. Of course, adding "just" a subwoofer is not "just" that. Here's what I had to do.
    1) Install an amp
    2) Install a line convert for an input for the amp (since my amp did not have high level line input
    3) Connect the subwoofer to the amp

Details.
    1) Install an amp
    - ran a 8 gauge power cable from the battery to the trunk
    - this meant cutting into the gormet in the firewall and pulling the power cable through
    - it also meant "lifting" the door sills of the passenger side (front and rear)
    - I installed a switch (I used an old cell phone recharger adapter) into my 12V adapter (the one in the centre console) for the "remote on" of the amp. I know I could of just spliced into the 12V line, however I didn't want to touch the factory wiring
    - of course, the cables were run according to best practices, including proper circuit breakers

2) Installing a line convert
    - this is probably the toughest decision I had to make since this device would take the signal from my rear speakers and convert into an RCA output for my amp. My amp is extremely clean so I wanted a clean converter. The reason why it was my toughest decision is because if I bought the wrong device then I would have tons of "amplified noise". I talked to a number of installation shops and prices ranged from $30 CDN - $250 CDN. I found a great shop that swore by a specific "no-name" product for $60: I installed it, it worked and I have no engine feedback (noise)
    - anyway I took the rear speaker leads (in my trunk) and wired it to the line converter
    - I connected the RCA out from the converter to the amp (because my amp can accept input from one channel and send it to the subwoofer channels, I only need one pair of RCA, if you need two, then buy a "y" connector)

3) Connect the subwoofer
    - I bought a cabinet for my Kicker 10" subwoofer
    - I mounted the amp onto the cabinet (I added an additional platform for my amp)
    - connected it to my amp
    - from the amp, I connected the rear speakers (remember I took the original lines and connected it to my line converted.

FINALLY, I balanced my amp output so it does not drown out my factory front speakers and I was done. The full installation took me about 8 hours an I loved every moment of it (of course the pros will take 2-3 hours and will cost about $120 -- great deal!). The total cost of the upgrade was about $300 CDN (Canadian) or $225 US.

Hope this helps.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Well, I suppose if you don't have the benefit of shopping more than one Honda dealer...

But take a look at the Honda "prices paid" thread. Buyers are reporting Accord EX V6's for LOW 23's!!!

If you aren't familiar with Accord structure, that's the top of the line Accord, lacking only Navi. V6, leather, heated seats, XM, moonroof, dual climate, etc...

That's just hard to beat. I want to look at the new Camry, but its really going to have to bowl me over to be a better deal than an Accord more than $4k off MSRP.
  • pickles077pickles077 Member Posts: 30
    I agree. P.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Another vote for steel wheels. Don't have to worry that someone wants to steal your alloys and leave the car on blocks. Alloys have been known to have air leaks that can't be sealed. Increases price of car and taxes. Years ago, tire dealers charged extra to change tires on alloy rims, is this still true?
  • caciviccacivic Member Posts: 22
    Sounds like you did a great job! I wanted to ask you though, what after market speakers and sizes did you put in the car? Did you have to modify them in any way or did they just fit right in?
    Crutchfield told that there are currently no speakers that will fit the 2007 camry speaker locations w/o modification.....???
  • rhomsyrhomsy Member Posts: 5
    I am one of the unlucky recipients of a 2007 Camry XLE, and I wanted to let everyone know how toyota is treating me (very poorly). I am leasing the vehicle, and I put down $8000 so that I have lower monthly payments. Specifically, my monthly payments are 50% what they would normally be if I only put down the required amount. Further, although I wanted the magnetic gray, I got the blue because it was in stock and I couldn't wait the three additional weeks for the gray because I have a road trip next week and I needed the car.

Well, they cannot guarantee that I will have a car by next week. Further they offered to pay a lease payment and extend the warranty. I explained that the warranty is useless for me since I will not have the car more than three years because I am leasing, and since I prepaid 50% of my lease payments, they should pay 2 payments. They said they would only pay one month, and that I was out of luck. So, I got the color that I didn't want, I don't get the car for my road trip, I wait weeks longer despite being out-of-pocket and all I get is one half a lease payment for my trouble. For everyone that thinks toyota is handling this well, I certainly beg to differ. They are treating their lease customers very poorly for their shoddy engineering.

Thanks,
    Russ
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Seems to me you might have run into an honest dealer.

They told you up front that they couldn't guarantee
    delivery of the color you want within your time
    frame.

You made a decision to accept the Blue car, They
    didn't force you to take it.

They offered 1 month's payment; you wanted 2. That'
    part of the negotiation process.

If you didn't like their car and/or offer. why not try another dealer?
    You're missing the point. I'm being treated differently/worse than everyone else because (1) I am leasing and will not have the car beyond three years and (2) I prepaid 1/2 my lease payments. That's not negotiating... that's trying to stick it to someone from a position of power... they have my money, and I have a non-functional car.

Further, my decision was to accept a blue car that worked. Instead I got a blue car that drove for four days before it went belly-up. Now I'm without a car for 3-4 weeks. I didn't choose this.

Lastly, it's toyota that made these offers and is trying to stick it to me and not the dealer. In fact, my dealer has been fantastic and they are trying to find me a new car much sooner rather than have me wait for toyota. Toyota could take a lesson in customer service from their own dealers.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    rhomsy, sounds like YOU made these decisions. How is Toyota (not the dealer) treating you differently than any other customer? How long have you had the car? The contract probably hasn't been "cashed in" so you could have well gotten out of it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't think we are getting the whole story here what are you waiting on "Toyota" for? Which Toyota? Toyota financial? Toyota Motor sales? Come on, let's get the whole story here. Something smells worse than yesterday's diapers with your story.
    :sick:
    Mackabee
  • so40so40 Member Posts: 8
    rhomsy, you make some good points in your argument. I hope it works out for you. Have you read the Transmission (Snap Ring) problem thread? Edmunds has closed it, or at least made it "Read Only". I guess Toyota "asked" them to do that and they did.

Anyway, I think there were several people in that thread that stated Toyota had offered to either replace the transmission, buy back the car, or get them another car. Have they offered you another car and just can't get you one quick enough? Have they offered to buy back the car?

Also, when was your car made (on door label) and how many miles on it when it broke. If you don't mind can you post the last 6 numbers of the VIN?

Mike
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    "I put down $8000 so that I have lower monthly payments."

Sorry for your troubles, but why on earth did you do that?? I hope you realize that if your car is totaled or stolen during the lease, you will be out the $8000. Your insurance will pay off the leasing company, you will get nothing.

Rule #1 of car leasing is to put as little money down as possible. You can't build "equity" in a leased car, since you don't own it. You could have put the $8000 in the bank and used it to help make higher monthly payments, while pocketing the interest on the balance. And Toyota wouldn't have your $8000 right now.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    rhomsy,

Unfortunately as you are painfully aware, you got snagged by a situation where the vehicle was made pre-May 2006 with a defective transmission, and the vehicle wasn't pulled or fixed by Toyota from the dealer inventory. Toyota doesn't appear to have made public any plans to fix these vehicles before customers buy them.
    Mackabee, I am being treated differently because I am being offered less $$ than other customers. Monthly payments are not all equal if you paid more cap reduction. Further, their offer to extend the warranty does nothing for anyone leasing the car. Clearly, they place less value on their leasing customers. Also, I know the risk associated with putting down $8K on a lease, but with me, the risk that I'll spend the $8K somewhere else is more real to me. I knew that risk and I accepted it.

As for what I'm waiting for, well that is very interesting... The Toyota TSB instructed the dealer to contact them and await instructions. They contacted Toyota, and were told that they would contact me directly within 24 hours. I called them later that same day, and I was told about the one month payment, the extended warranty, and that I needed to wait for my "case manager". That is the whole story. The only things that stick are Toyota's response to leaser, customers who put cap reduction down, and your condescending post.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I dont understand why Toyota should be responsible for 2 monthly payments. Have they had your car 8 weeks? If so, then they should cover two payments. If not, I'm not sure why you're disappointed that Toyota is offering to cover one payment.

It was your choice to put down an insane CAP COST reduction on your lease. As noted by several posters here, doing so has many significant drawbacks, not the least of which is the opportunity cost of investing that money, the fact that that sunk sum builds ZERO equity in the vehicle you are driving, and your signficant potential loss in the event of theft or accident (unless you purchased GAP insurance). I would add to the list of risks the potential "$$" (your words) if things go wrong...

FWIW, that you didnt get the color you wanted has nothing to do with the transmission issue, and speaks a bit to your predisposition against your Toyota experience.

As a fellow consumer, I wish you the best of luck, as this is not admriable situation for Toyota whatsoever....... but I cannot empathize with you.

~alpha
    Let me make it easier for you to understand then:

John leases a car with nothing down, has to pay $450 his first month and does not receive a car for first 4 weeks because of a bad toyota transmission. Toyota offers to waive the first month lease payment, or the sum of $450. Total loss to John $0.

Steve leases a car with 1/2 the lease payments down, has to pay his first month lease payment of $225, and does not receive a car for first 4 weeks because of a bad toyota transmission. Toyota again offers to waive the first month lease payment, or the sum of $225. Total loss to Steve, $225.

Frank leases a car with all the lease payments down, doesn't have to pay his first month lease because he prepaid it, and does not receive a car for first 4 weeks because of a bad toyota transmission. Toyota offers to waive first month lease, but this is meaningless because it was prepaid. Total loss to Frank, $450.

If you think this is fair and logical, then that is more scary than the bad transmission. Also, don't try to support your position by claiming that the guys who put cap reduction down did so at their own risk because they would lose it in the event of accident/theft. That is a red herring. Under those circumstances, it would be the leaseholder's insurance contract which would govern (and he purchased that risk), and under those terms, yes he/she would be at a loss, but under the circumstances at hand, it is the lease agreement that controls. Further, your feeling that the fact that I put cap reduction down "caused" the problem, is not legal causation. The causation is toyota breaching the lease agreement by not providing a functional car for the first month of the lease.

It is scary to think that logic like yours sits on juries.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    To address your main point: Your financial terms of purchase were you own choice, so why should Toyota make you a special case and offer more money? Using your own logic, isn't it only fair that they pay for the monthly payment for the time your are without the use of the vehicle? What if this happened to me (I paid cash)? How much should I get? How about 6 months of payments....$0!!!

Now lets get a little off topic: Let's assume you bought a loaded XLE for $30k (for round numbers). Let us assume you had no trade in, $8k to put down, wanted low payments, with the mind set of putting average mileage on the car (otherwise you wouldn't lease) and selling/trading in the car in three years. Your purchase loan terms would on a 72 month buy would be $330 +/- a month (at 7.5%) with a loan balance of <$14k at the end of 3 years. Your cost at this point is about $16k not accounting for any positive equity. Using general lease terms, the same scenario on a lease would cost you about $18k and you walk away with nothing.

If you are scared of your own inability to discipline not to spend that money, wouldn't you have been better off putting it into a locked (no withdrawals permitted) type of interest bearing account that your payments could be pulled from automatically (many bank and credit unions have these types of set ups)?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    rhomsy,

In one way, you aren't really any different than someone who paid cash for the car. Neither would get any financial reimbursement for the period of the time you don't have access to the car.

In a second way as compared to a cash purchaser, you wouldn't get the 'benefit' of an extended warranty period, whereas a cash buyer potentially would. But, you aren't as financially committed to the deal as a cash purchaser is either.

Each consumers situation is going to be different, and I wouldn't spend a lot of time comparing to others who you perceive may be getting a 'better deal' in the handling of their problem.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    FWIW, I agree with you that you should get the same financial settlement as someone with lower down payment (or whatever you call that on a lease). Essentially what you did, as I undeerstand it, is pay 1/2 of your monthly lease payments up front.

For example suppose you could lease a car for 36 months for $400 per month with nothing down, you will pay $14,400 total.

Alternatively you could choose to pay $7200 up front and pay $200 month for 36 months. You are still effectively paying $400 per month for the use of the car.

As I see it, if you are without the car for a month, then your loss of use for that month is worth $400 in either case.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    fso, I think you misunderstood how the gap insurance work. For Toyota/Lexus and Honda, on every car they leased it include the gap insurance. It provide the gap for between what insurance company paid vs what is lease contract buy out cost. So if insurance company pay you 20K and you lease contract show a buyout cost of 18K. Gap insurance won't kick in. Toyota will get 18K and as the leasee of the vechicle, you will get 2K. However if insurance pay out is only 15K, there will be a gap of 3K. Without the gap insurance, leasee will be responsible the 3K. With the gap insurance, leasee just walk away. It is not true to say that just becuase someone who put 8K down will automatically lose the 8K.
    Why isn't the dealer (or Toyota) providing you with an equivalent loaner car for the period involved? If they did, would that satisfy you?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Would it be "nice" if Toyota leasing forgave an extra lease payment? Yes, it would. Is Toyota leasing obligated to do so? Probably not, because they're not even obligated to forgive any payments due to the unforeseen trannie troubles. But they obligingly did decide to be "nice" enough to cover one payment for buyers' inconvenience in that regard. Hopefully, you'll have your car back by next week and your concerns will be just an unpleasant memory of a potential hassle that was resolved satisfactorily. As others have already observed, you, not Toyota, made the choice to accept an alternate exterior color choice. You may not be entirely satisfied with your choice, now, but how is that Toyota's fault?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Well I may sound condenscending as you put it but go back and read your own words again. If the transmission went after four days as you state why didn't you take the car back and demand another one? Most contracts (lease or purchase) are held in the dealers finance office until all stipulations are met, finance approved, insurance verified etc.. I'm sure yours was still hanging around and they could have unwound the deal. With so many dealers to trade with in the network I'm sure they could have gotten you an XLE in a few days at most. Heck, a call from the General Manager at the store to the district regional manager would have probably had your car in the next day and we wouldn't be having this conversation or discussion. How about taking some responsibility for this mess instead of feeling sorry for yourself.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Why should this person feel sorry when it was Toyota who produced garbage product? It appears to be more than inconvenient for the consumer. This is not something one would expect from the all mighty Toyota.
    No, they can't get me an XLE in a couple of days.... It will take about 3 weeks to get me one.. but they are still looking.

Further, they are not being nice by offering me a lease payment. I paid $8K and $225/month for a total of $16,000 for 36 months of vehicle use. If they are providing me with only 35 months of use, they are obligated to compensate me. I don't need to "unwind" the deal. I am entitled to enforce the lease, just like they would be entitled to enforce it if I breached the lease and failed to make my payments. It's a two way street.

Honestly, I can't believe the toyota apoligists posting on this board. Do you people work for toyota and are posting anonymously or something.
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Gap insurance won't kick in. Toyota will get 18K and as the leasee of the vechicle, you will get 2K.

I don't think you (the leasee) will get anything. You don't own the car, the leasing company does. If you don't put down anything and the car is totalled, you get to walk away assuming you have gap insurance. If you put down 8K and the car is totalled, you still walk away but you are out the 8K. I may be wrong but I don't think the leasing company has to be nice and refund any money to you. I guess the question is that when you put down a lot of money and the book value of a totalled or stolen car is more than what is owed on the lease, does the insurance company pay the lease company book value or what is owed on the lease? If they pay book, then the leasing company ends up a winner but as I said, it is not clear that they have to refund any money to you.
    I bought a new Accord at the last major model change. Paid cash. Within 4 days a main transmission sealed failed. The dealer had no parts for the new model. My new car would be in the shop for a while. Did the dealer compensate me? Only with a loaner car and free mats (nice tough).

Still, I wasn't pleased having written the big check and no new car to drive. In hindsight, it was a minor bump. As is your problem.