Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    tomd, I don't think the leasing company has to refund anything to the lessee in the scenario you describe.

First, gap insurance does not pay the difference between net cap cost and residual (end of lease) value as topgun7 stated. It pays the difference, if any, between net cap cost (what is due to the lessor) and the current value of the car at the time of the loss (what the insurance company is going to pay out).

Since rhomsy reduced his net cap cost by giving the lessor $8000 up front, chances are that if he totalled the vehicle the gap insurance would never kick in. On a $30K Camry lease, the difference between the depreciated value of the vehicle at the time of the loss and what has been paid to the leasing company in monthly payments is not very likely to exceed $8000. But, I don't think he will get any of that $8000 back either. The insurance company will pay the lessor the depreciated value, and as far as I know the lessor is not obligated to refund anything to the lessee.

Which is why everyone counsels against making a big downpayment on a lease.
  • cometolivercometoliver Member Posts: 3
    I am considering the VW Passat or the Hyndai Sonata as an alternative to the Camry. (not wild about the 2007). Anyone have any impressions about either of these 2 cars? And any ideas of a nav system that could be instatlled in either of them that is similiar to Toyota's? Thanks
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    If you insist on being stubborn so be it. I just gave you a couple of alternatives you could have and can use rather than mope around because you are out of a car. Find another dealer, get your money back, anything but be pro-active instead of coming on to a public forum and whining about how "Toyota takes advantage of leasing customers" Please.
    Mackabee
    ps. yes I do work for a Toyota dealer and I have seen cases like yours where something has been worked out for the benefit of the customer. We tend to bend over backwards for customers but it seems you were just satisfied with what happened, left it at that and are now complaining.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    Rhomsy: I feel for you. You got shafted, and the dealer/toyota is treating you like crap.

Did they at least give you a decent long-term loaner?

After just scanning a few of the posts here I agree that people are throwing a lot of hate at you...for what? Because your new car is going to be in the shop for a month or so?

I'd be pissed too. I still don't understand why Toyota didn't issue a recall on every one of these v6 trannys and do the right thing from the beginning. Selling the cars and waiting for failures from customers seems like a bad idea.

Good luck.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Huh??? I didn't address GAP insurance or the loss of vehicle scenario.
    Is there a lease program called 1/2 payments or something? If not, then you merely put a large lump sum down payment which lowered the amount financed hence lowering your payments. It is semantics to some extent, but you did not pay half of your payments in the eyes of the bank. Paying half of your payments up front would have included interest, which your $8k did not do. You paid $8k towards the initial cost and the balance has interest applied to it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    It seems there are two issues here.
    1) What Toyota is obligated to provide under the warranty.
    2) What Toyota is obligated to provide under the lease agreement.

1)Your methodology for making reparitions regarding warranty repairs would set a standard that no manufacturer could possibly follow. My understanding is that, contractually under their warranty obligation, Toyota is NOT required by law to even offer you either the extended warranty (which is indeed useless in your case), or one month's payment to cover the fact that you are not using the vehicle. They are obligated to make the repair, which they are doing.

2)You state yourself WHY, legally, ONE MONTH's payment is an appropriate sum. "The causation is toyota breaching the lease agreement by not providing a functional car for the first month of the lease." So, if Toyota's "CRIME" is breach of the lease to the duration of ONE MONTH, as you YOURSELF state, then why should you expect their "PUNISHMENT" to be equal to two month's payment? For all intents and purposes, it seems that their breach of lease agreement will indeed be no greater than one month, and yet, you feel you are entitled to two because YOU made the CHOICE to use Cap Cost reduction as a method of lowering your monthly payment. To me, THAT is flawed logic.

I never stated that your excessive Cap Cost payment 'caused' your transmission problem, not even close. I did state, however, that high Cap Cost payments on leases have inherent risks associated with them, this type of situation being included among those myriad risks. There was no implication of causation.

Certainly, Toyota had an issue with initial Camrys and their 6 speed automatic transmissions. It is unfortunate that you have experienced this problem, and it is further unfortunate that you are upset with Toyota's response, as you seem to be among the few who are displeased with the handling of the repair.

That said, trust that I, sir, find your logic of individual entitlement equally as scary as you find mine especially when you YOURSELF have stated that Toyota's breach of lease agreement is to the duration of ONE MONTH, the exact payment duration the company has expressed willingness to absorb.

I hope that Toyota makes right by you, I just think that you need to understand your expectation and the services with which Toyota is required to provide you by law are likely not at equilibrium.

~alpha
  • thatzmagicthatzmagic Member Posts: 4
    You can opt to equip them with all season tires at no extra cost.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is correct.. prepaying a huge amount up on a lease is a horrible financial decision. Be careful it isnt wrecked.

Another way of looking at 'buying down' your payment is this:

A typical lease payment for 48 mo's would be $375/mo or about $18,000 in total. By putting down $8000 you have prepaid the first 21 months of lease payments. The remainder of $10000 is just divided over the 48 mo's.

Either way you are spending $18,000. It's just that TFS has your money and it's working for them not you.
  • glanwinglanwin Member Posts: 28
    What do you mean the extended warranty is useless? The Toyota Extra Care Platinum includes rental car up to $50/day when the insured car is out of service. If you take the extended warranty now, you can ask for a rental car right away because Toyota Finance pay for it :).
    Its a leased vehicle, I'd really not recommend an extended warranty, regardless of rental car benefits.

~alpha
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    "Selling the cars and waiting for failures from customers seems like a bad idea."

Yea, not only that, I'm really beginning to wonder about the validity of the 160 cars. Think about it, how many of the 1000's of people who've already bought Camrys read this forum? Yet we've seen several with this tranny problem in these threads.

I also understand we've seen several V6 owners here w/o the problem, but still the statistics make me wonder.

I was planning on getting a V6 this summer, but the more I read the more gun-shy I become.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    In my opinion, both Toyota and the dealers selling the vehicles, are making a big mistake knowingly selling a vehicle that they either know, or reasonably know will have a transmission failure. They should be pulling each vehicle not yet sold to fix it, and notifying pre-May manufactured owners of the defect..... to be on the lookout for the symptoms.

The cost to replace 160 transmissions is small compared to just one lawsuit from a purchaser getting into an accident from the transmission failing. One serious injury, is all it will take.
    What? I can't hear you! You're being drowned out by the buzz of lawyers circling overhead because they smell a class-action lawsuit!

Okay, seriously, I don't get it either. One granny in her new 2007 v6 Camry smacks into a wall and Toyota will have a nice fat suit from Dewey Cheatem and Howe....

If Toyota were smart, they'd do the Tylenol thing: Recall 'em all, crush em and start over again. Hmmmm, then again, Toyota doesn't make mistakes, do they?
    Ooops. I spoke too soon. :blush: Perhaps Mr. Otaka was too busy chasing skirt to notice other problems....

TOKYO — The president and CEO of Toyota Motor North America, accused last week in a sexual harassment lawsuit, is leaving the post, the automaker said Tuesday.

In response, the world's No. 2 automaker chose its first American as president of the region's operations.

Hideaki Otaka, 65, who had been scheduled to leave his post in June, has voluntarily left earlier.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, that's kinda old news too, but thanks.

It seems like there are issues with the new Camry that need to be explored. Let's talk about them here: 2007 Toyota Camry Woes. Come on over!
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Your explanation doesn't make sense. If the first months lease payment is prepaid, how do you know that Toyota won't pay for the first months lease?

As for the difference in lease payments, How do you know what they are offering other people in a similar situation?

If they are offering to reimburse people for the time the car is out of service,that seems fair. You want to be reimbursed for more than you are paying while the car is out of service. That doesn't seem fair.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    rhomsy. You have use of the car for 35 months; you only pay for 35 months. Where is the problem?
  • max_99max_99 Member Posts: 28
    I have noticed that after a power wash or driving in the rain, water tends to collect on the lip that extends 2-3" from the car underneath each door . There is a door seal that stops the water at this point so it does not enter the passenger area. From the outside, there is a gap at the bottom of the door that allows water access to this lip area. At the front of this lip near the engine compartment is a light, paper-like insulating material that seals the front part. I've noticed the insulating material getting a little wet as well.

Doesnt' seem to be a big concern but I am wondering what will happen over time as water gets in this area and doesn't dry out or drain well. This is my first Toyota. Does anyone have an older Toyota with this type of design.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Your opinion is noted and will be given the consideration deserved.

In two months likely this will be long forgotten, IMO. If Toyota believes ( knows? ) that 160 units were involved it has all the records so anything else on our part is purely the speculation of the uninformed.

There are intricacies in the information flow of a sale that doesn't allow Toyota to know for certain who actually has bought a specific VIN. Until if and when the actual owner reports this anomaly there is no sure way to know from their perspective. It also seemed that at least in two cases in Canada ( per TN ) that certain vehicles were stopped at the marshalling yard or dealer's lot.

Your rants are noted. It's been addressed in another forum and the ones involved ( not you ) seem to be pleased by how it's being handled. Now let's talk about the vehicle itself. If you don't like Toyota that's acceptable also, as I'm sure there is an appropriate forum.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    At least 2 people in a different forum have reported the same transmission issue with their new ES350s.

So it seems the problem is not limited to the Camry.
    Let's continue conversation about the transmission problems (and any other issues) here: 2007 Toyota Camry Woes.

See ya there!
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    And is there any way to verify that the people posting about their supposed problems are actual owners of the car. These forums, and Edmunds is actually one of the best ones out there, are full of people who have an agenda to tarnish a particular brand. That is not to say there are genuine owners who don't have problems. But there is no way to verify who is a real owner and who is not. I don't pay too much attention to these gripe forums anyway. These forums do not represent a statistical fact about the nature of the problem.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    'Now let's talk about the vehicle itself. If you don't like Toyota that's acceptable also, as I'm sure there is an appropriate forum’ (I agree kdhspyder)

I would like to read more on driving impressions from those who have bought the 2007 Camry. It will also be nice to read what they want most and wants improve on their new vehicle.

1. For the transmission problem, there is a very good resource in the - 2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Gear Snap Ring Issue: TMSUSA Responds
    2. For problem/issues with the new Camry there is a - 2007 Toyota Camry Woes forum

Thank you to our host for all of this. We can focus on each issue and can be e a useful guide for those who are interested on the 2007 Camry.

FiloD
    It's ClubLexus, ES350 forum.

You can go and read about it yourself. They are not "supposed" problems.
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    So just because the forum is "CLUB LEXUS" makes the owners genuine ? I can sign up in CLUB LEXUS or any other forums with multiple identity and rile all day about how bad my Ferrari is LOL :P. I am not calling anybody a liar or anything like that but you should take whatever you read in these forums with a grain of salt.
    drag problems reported on a whole other message board about a vehicle other than the Camry here, please!

I know they have the same engine, but let's let it go in this discussion.

Thanks.
    I am astute enough to reasonably tell when posters are bs'ers (based on the history of their other posts), thanks.

I thought that this was relevant to the Camry thread b/c people are trying to figure out the source of the problem, and since Lexuses are manufactured in a different plants, the faulty transmissions may have been from the source supplier (Aisin in Japan, I think).

Wasn't aware that there was a dedicated "2007 Camry Woes" thread. Will post there.
  • fatrapfatrap Member Posts: 5
    I just replaced my 97 Camry with an 07. I love it. The oil spec calls for 5W-20, which is fine, but it does not give an API service grade spec (like SJ or SM). The owner's manual, dipstick, oil filler cap all do not mention the API grade necessary. I called the dealership and spoke with service and parts, and none of them even knew what an API service grade was (and also told me they will use 5W-30!! on the 07s.) I called other dealerships and got the same unhelpful info.

The current grade for motor oil is SM but I'm not sure if that is good enough for the 07. Does anyone know?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    SM is the latest grade (and just came out recently), so I'm sure that's the one to use.

I guess you better not use the dealership to change your oil (unless you bring in your own bottles)!
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Nothing wrong with 5w-30. A little better protection at higher temps with an imperceptible effect on mileage.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Hi there. It kinda sounds like you keep your vehicles for awhile, at least 10 years. If you are planning to keep your 07 for ten years or longer, go synthetic. I have been using Mobil 1 in my long term vehicles and have been having great results. I do highly recommend to change to synthetic, after 5000kms if the initial oil was fossil. You will also get a higher resale value with synthetic and you can wait a longer interval between oil changes. Porsche says 15,000kms between changes. I do 7500 kms with no time limit, instead of 3 months and/or 5000 kms.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Planning to switch to Mobil 1. Do I need to do anything different (or worry about), the first time I switch to synthetic? ie..... as long as do normal warm engine drain and filter change, no problem with synthetic mixing w/residual fossil?
  • cgmax2kcgmax2k Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone seen or bought the +25HP gain chip that is being sold on Ebay? Seems a bit "to good to be true". They are selling this "chip" for $5-6$??? Read the ad, if it does what it is supposed to do then everyone should get one!!What's up with this?
    Ripoff. There are performance ECU chips available for turbo-engined cars that really work -- but they cost a lot more than $5. The ones for non-turbo vehicles are generally scams, especially at that price. With a non-turbo engine, there just isn't much that can be done with ECU programming alone to add significant hp while maintaining driveability. If anyone perceives a power gain from a chip like this it is almost certainly due to the placebo effect.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    These chips have been discussed here before. Now, let me say up front I'm not much on mechanical knowledge, so I'm asking those who do.
    I noticed the IS350 has 306HP. I assumed it's the same basic engine as the Camry's. Is that true? If not, what did the engineers do to the IS to get the extra HP.
    dolfan1, the same engine in two different vehicles can be tuned to attain two variable hp output. This can be done by the ECM or ECU (car computer) or by using a different air intake and exhaust. The curb weight of the vehicles also has some effect. Keep in mind that any mods to the engine/exhaust may void your manufacturer's warranty.
    Mackabee :shades:
    The insulating material is polypropylene (plastic) foam -- not paper. Water will not hurt it. The material is similar to Styrofoam.
    Nothing to worry about. I did it on my '04 Camry at 19K miles when my son took it to Los Angeles from Virginia last summer. I figured he might not get around to changing the oil in 5K miles, plus with the hot temperatures he'd encounter, I went for the Mobil 1.
  • tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the great overview. I agree the new camry is awesome and should be a great car. I wished they had made it somewhat larger inside as it does feel smaller than the previous version. The back seat does not offer that much room when the front seats are all the way back. Loosing the fold down rear seats in the XLE is also a real bad move. Couldn't Toyota have developed tilt back seats that also fold forward and down to make more room in trunk? That doesns't sound like rocket science to me.

One question for you alpha, why would you rev a new engine up to the redline level on the tach?
    "One question for you alpha, why would you rev a new engine up to the redline level on the tach?"

Easy. Because I could, and wasn't going to purchase the car. Salesdude had nary a problem with it, so I did it... a coupla times. Once from rest, once in a 30-50 type move...

~alpha
    So.... intentionally abusing property that doesn't belong to you is OK if nobody stops you from doing it.

Nice.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    I'm getting a Camry Hybrid with navigation, and I'm interested in getting the best ipod integration possible. Ideally, I'd like to control the Ipod through the head unit and steering wheel, but not if the functionality is limited and installation cumbersome. From the Priuschat website, it looks like the best options are these (in no particular order):

Dice Electronics Ipod integration kit (http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm)

VAIS Technology Soundlinq SLI (http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html)

Simple charging cradle w/connection to the Aux in port (no control through radio, but simple and clean)
    (http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php)

Can anyone comment on whether the products from Dice and VAIS products will work with the 2007 Camry, and if so what functions they will allow on the touchscreen?

Thanks -
    Get real! It's called a test drive for a reason! If it was not a test, they'd call it a Sunday drive, or there'd be restrictions or papers to sign, given this day and age. I've even been on test drives where, after building rapport with the salesperson, I've been ENCOURAGED to push the envelope.

Besides, had the salesperson an issue with it, I would not have done it, as stated, I asked first.

As if I'm the only one who's explored a vehicle's capabilities on a test drive...Please! For what it's worth, flooring a Toyota twice hardly constitutes as 'abuse'. Perhaps flogging a '99 Daewoo Leganza, as C/D did, and subsequently threw a rod, would be...

~alpha
    I'm glad I am not the only one. I told the saleman before we selected a car to test drive that it would not be the one I would buy, because I wanted to give it a true test, and therefore would break my self-inflicted break in period strategy.

My car came from the factory and was placed into my hands with 6 miles on it.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    alpha - You contradict yourself.

Why make the statement "because I wasn't going to purchase the car. . ." if you didn't think redlining the tach at least might constitute abuse of the engine? Of course you thought it might, but since you weren't buying, that's the next chump's problem.

Who knows, maybe the car you do buy will have been treated to the same test drive. Good luck! :)
    Touche. That said, the only car I ever purchased new, my 03 Sentra 2.5LE... was literally still in the wrappers and had 3 miles on it...

~alpha
    I got news for you fsowirles. All cars come from the factory! ;)
    But seriously folks, redlining a car nowadays is no big deal. These engines are put through their paces at the factory before they are put in the car. If you think this is "abuse" you should see what they do to Porsches. I was privilidged to visit the factory in Stuttgard in 2003 and as soon as the car comes off the assembly line on it goes to the autobahn where there is no speed limits and yes they do rev'em up quite high. It was fun to watch as I stood outside the gate and Hans pulled out onto the street, burned some rubber and took off. That would be a nice job to have.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    With all due respect, when I test drive a car, I expect to gain a snapshot of the performance I would be able to expect WERE I to drive the vehicle on a daily basis.

Yes, I stated that nobody had test driven MY Sentra (my choice), but it should be known, since having passed the 1000mile break-in threshhold on that, I have frequently floored the vehicle in merging and highway driving. This is the way I drive.

Again, with all due respect, its a bit difficult to find a 'fully broken' in test drive unit. That said, it IS a test drive, and the purpose is to determine whether its performance- from acceleration to braking to seat comfort to stereo sound... you name your criteria... is acceptable to the individual. Were it so 'wrong' to floor the vehicle (which by the way, owing to its autotransmission, never placed the engine in a danger zone), certainly the salesperson, a mature, articulate professional- would have prevented me from risking the very machinery on which he places his monetary livelihood.

It seems as though folks on this thread feel I took my test drive Camry LE 4cylinder to the local drag strip and raced it all day long. Not the case. I floored the vehicle to redline a couple times during a test drive. That this is NOT the ideal way to treat the engine does not change the fact that I did NOTHING wrong, or illegal, nor did I place anyone in danger. I seriously doubt any ill consequences for the eventual owner of that vehicle, but even so- this is a Camry we are talking about for Pete's sake- the individual has the right and opportunity TO CHOOSE to take another vehicle with fewer miles, and presumably, fewer test drives.

Indeed, although it was not the practice at the dealership I visited, some do keep certain models as demonstrators to for the very reason of providing a greater number of customers ACTUAL BRAND NEW, OFF THE TRUCK examples.

jbgraham, I appreciate the adage you offered and your kind words., I just wanted to speak my peace on this issue, and will now let it rest.

~alpha
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    This is the fun of test driving. I agree with alpha. No harm, no foul.