Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    kdhspyder:
    I enjoyed reading your posting. Just for the sake of discussion let's assume that there are only 35 complaints at NHTSA about the trans issue. If this group is VERY VOCAL on this and other boards, wouldn't it behoove Toyota to take some action ASAP to correct the situation. As stated in your posting, the new 2007 Camry has 450,000 new owners. If we subtract 35 from 450,000 owners we have 449,965 owners that do not have a trans problem. QUESTION: --- What is different about the 35 vehicles that have the trans problem? This should be an easy fix. Take 35 NEW transmissions off the assembly line, and install them in the vehicles in question. Then take the old transmission and find the problem in these units! This would solve two problems. First the customer would be satisfied, and second if there are more vehicles out there with the problem, a solution to the problem would be established! Customer satisfaction is the most important part of the solution. Any company must view every issue from both the corporate and the customer side of the problem. ----- Best regards. ------- Dwayne ;) :shades: :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Having option packages available does not mean everyone else has to take something they don't want. They just order the car with options to their liking.

> In this way no region is forced to take vehicles it can't sell.

Therefore people in Florida don't order 4-wd vehicles. Very simple.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Very logical post. The usual technique in some forums is that anyone with a problem is just making it up, not really an owner, or represents an exception and there are 300,000 other vehicles out there without the problem.

Of course no one can "know" the other vehicles don't have the same problem.

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'd have to agree. toyota has been more agressive than most manufacturers going to DBW, and has had units with issues in the Lexus line for example going back a number of years.

the issues people are experiencing and reporting now with the '07 camry are not really new.

now when people report their '07 camry transmissions being replaced, and their problem is gone only to return later, people take notice.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ;) But then they'd have to print different brochures and stock them separately and ship them separately. All this complexity costs and is potential for errors.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    subtract 35 from 450,000 owners we have 449,965 owners that do not have a trans problem
    a real stretch in logic - just because there might be only a few dozen VOCAL complainers as you say - it doesn't follow that that the balance don't have the problem - indeed the laws of mass production would generally support that ALL the cars must be the same and should exhibit the same behavior. As the owner of an 05 Avalon with the same purported problems found on the Camry 5 speed (that doesn't incidentally, bother me), would suggest that since the issues are not reliability (failure) related, it may be a case that many of the 449,965 owners either adapting to the car or in some other manner simply accepting it!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I think that 35 real lodged complaints probably understates the level of the problem also. But it is an indication of those who felt strongly enough to go through the process and register a real vehicle with a real VIN.

I'm certain that there are a lot more than 35 dissatisfied in the performance of the vehicle. The problem that arises is 'who has a problem and who doesn't?'. The only way to solve it is on a case by case basis. If say 5% or less are having problems in performance then that's 20,000 customers or so that need to have a solution found.

I feel that number is too high but there's no way for we the public to know for certain. Some as reported here have been satisfied, some not at all, with the service. TSB's and adjustments including new valve bodies, new software flashes and new trannys have solved some problems but not others. Some may be over-sensitive reactions on the drivers part as well.

As these new DBW vehicles start to become commonplace with every maker these types of issues are arising across the whole spectrum. The Camry is a huge volume model so it also has potentially a huge volume of complaints. However perfecting the technology is something that has to be done to improve the driving experience for every driver.
    As these new DBW vehicles start to become commonplace with every maker these types of issues are arising
    an example - a friend with a new Subaru Forester (5 sp I think) complaining about 'hesitation' on gear reengagement. Takes it back to his dealer, is told 'that all these new trannies do this', is treated to a quick 'reprogramming', and has been fine ever since.
    As these engineers are chasing the FE and safety grails, somehow driveability is taking a back seat, and as user777 notes - Toyota/Lexus are in the lead pack of chasers....
  • honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    As a follow up to my original post about the alloy wheels option on the 4 cyl LE...

On Sunday, I drove over to the local Toyota dealership to see what they had on the lot. Sure enough they did have a 4 cyl LE with alloy wheels however it was the 15 spoke wheels not the seven spoke. I'm personally not too fond of the 15 spoke wheels, I prefer the 7 spoke.

I was surprised to see that the dealer had a 4 cyl SE with the 17 inch wheels and the 7 spoke alloy wheels. It's really a nice looking car. I thought finding a 4 cyl SE would be difficult so I was happy to see they may be more common than I thought.

I'm going to make a car purchase this summer, and I'm trying to decide between the 4 cyl 07 Accord, 4 cyl 07 Camry LE, 4 cyl 07 Camry SE, or wait and buy the 4 cyl 08 Accord.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you (i've) got to give them credit for being on the bleeding edge; whether followers or inventors it doesn't matter to me. but they've got to get it right and they've got to do right by the early adopters and the loyal customer base.

they've been pushing the envelope at least 4 or 5 years with this on the lexus line, then bringing it more mainstream. in the case of the '07 camry, it seems to me a good deal came together a tad too quickly and wasn't thoroughly tested before its introduction. engine and transmission control is something you need to be bullet proof on right out of the gate.
  • manujawsmanujaws Member Posts: 29
    Hello Guys,

I just purchased a new Camry Le out here in Philly. Will take deliver on 26th. Now this is my first car ever. What kind of things should I be doing to take care of the car in this winter (ending soon!!!) season. Like before driving it to work everyday, should I warm up the car for a few mins etc...

Is there a discussion thread for these type of questions as well?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats!!

You can ask just about anything Camry related in this general discussion. But have a look at the discussion list here and see what specific subjects have their own discussions.

Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    The experts advise NOT to warm up a car for more than ONE minute...then after one minute start driving at a reduced speed until oil is fully warmed.

That's what they say. That's what I do...and my '95 Camry still runs like a charm....so good, in fact, that I'm almost afraid to buy a new car.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    If I've done several thousand miles of highway driving using regular gas averaging 25-26 and then do a 2000 mile trip (over more difficult terrain), using premium and average 27-28 mpg, I think I can safely say that I got better mileage with premium.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Enough to pay the difference?
    If that was true, then all cars should be tuned to run on premium since premium fuel gets so much better gas mileage that there is real no cost for it. On top of that, if that were true, having only one fuel grade would save the cost of distributing and formulating different grades of gas, making it cheaper yet.
    like your word 'bleeding' because it points out yet the other marketing motivations for this technology - safety systems. If a mfgr. is going to have a car that 'reads' attitude and then can correct that attitude through slowing steering, slowing engine and tranny responses, and shooting juice to a brake (or brakes) then it must also have these systems electronically controlled. 'Safety' systems, as they are currently perceived, do sell, as does that other motivastor, FE.
    I readily admitted in multiple posts that the improved mileage from premium was offset by the increased cost. I never claimed any benefit other than the psychological boost of getting 28 mpg highway mileage instead of 26.

Are you taking issue my (or anyone else's) ability to calculate a fairly accurate mileage figure over thousands of mileage of driving? Are do you just like to argue? These are rhetorical questions. You don't need to respond and if you do, I won't. Have a great day. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to a recent Camry buyer who traded in a GM model. If interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than February 28, 2007 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your purchase experience.
  • palpakpalpak Member Posts: 21
    So what are the issues to look aout for the 07?

V6 transmission flaring
    DBW hesitation
    Cold weather startup and Dashboard noises
    Windnoise on freeway (very subjective)

did I miss anything else?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Just purchased a 2007 CE, manual transmission. I have zero complaints or issues. Made in Kentucky.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If you are buying a I4, get mfg date after Nov 06 (as per door jamb mfg date)....... else there is a TSB to address I4 hesitation and cruise control downshifting (lack of power to hold cruise speed). This TSB fixes this concern for the majority of older I4 production.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    If you are buying a I4, get mfg date after Nov 06 (as per door jamb mfg date)

My car's been made in Nov 06.
    Is it affected?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You're good. I went back and searched the Camry Problems Forum to get the actual date, and copied the post below. The TSB was released in August, so you were mfg 2+ months after the fix was released. If you want to be certain, you can look up your VIN# on the TSB, as it lists the VIN# range of previous production VIN #'s that the TSB would apply to.

1622 of 3238 Re: A/C [damon34] by drjames Sep 13, 2006 (3:11 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: damon34 (Sep 12, 2006 9:34 pm)

Hey damon34,

You probably already know this, but there's a TSB for the '06-'07 Camry equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine and U250E automatic transaxle (ATM) or I4 5A ... it's TSB TC010-06 dated August 11, 2006.
  • cj7375cj7375 Member Posts: 15
    Volvo S60 ?

The Volvo S60 2.5T would be 2005-2006 not brand new.

Can't decide. Drove both of them. Like Volvo better, however reliability is a big issue.

Any experience out there ? ...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Camry or Civic? You seemed to be asking about Civics in your other posts.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Everyone:
    My 2007 V6 Camry is almost 6 weeks old and it has about 3,500 miles on it with NO problems! I already had the first oil and filter change. (It was done around 2,500 miles by the dealer). The next oil and filter change will be done by the dealer at about 5,000 miles or sooner, depending on my schedule, ----- (I have the Pre-paid Toyota maintenance program). I always warm up my engine before I drive away in the morning. This is my choice. I recognize that others have a different opinion on this issue!
    The transmission shifts VERY SMOOTH and POSITIVE. There is a different "feel on the accelerator" as compaired to my 2003 four cylinder Honda Accord. The Camry is a "drive by wire vehicle", and the Honda was "hard wired to the throttle"!
    When I step hard on the accelerator, the transmission downshifts very smooth, and the Camry accelerates very quickly! (It is one "hot" vehicle)! I notice a little "torque steer" under hard acceleration. This did not occur with the Honda, but the Honda was only a four cylinder vehicle.
    At this point in time, I am happy with the purchase, BUT,---- I am still concerned about the transmisson issue that some people are discussing on this board. Maybe Toyota corrected the problem, or maybe the problem will show itself as the mileage accumulates on the vehicle. Time will tell!!!!!
    Since I do a lot of driving during the year, I plan on having the transmission serviced at least once a year by dropping the pan, changing the filter if so equipped, and refilling with fresh Toyota fluid. I WILL NOT HAVE THE TRANSMISSION FLUSHED! I will have the "service" performed the old fashioned way!
    I will keep everyone advised as the mileage accumulates! ---- Best reagrds. ------ Dwayne ;) :shades: :):D
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you are very careful, "tune" your seat of the pants sensor, you will be able to detect, sense, the SLIGHT lurch/surge forward when the transaxle upshifts as the car slows to come to a complete stop.

Once you develop a feel for that unshift event reliably then if you apply throttle immediately thereafer you will undoubtedly encounter the 1-2 second delay/hesitation as the car does the required downshifting.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I agree with not flushing the tranny.

I respectfully disagree with changing oil at 2500 mile intervals, since you put so many miles on the car so quickly, and I disagree with warming up the car, especially if it's garaged. It's your car though, so it's ultimately up to you.
    I dunno, if he's happy with his car, why should he be trying to find a problem that's subtle?

As I said before, he has a good car without symptoms, and he should just enjoy it without being paranoid about what MIGHT happen. Just my 2 cents.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    wwest...Why would you advise someone who is happy with the performance of his new car to try very hard to look for something that would make him unhappy?
    Agree, paranoia is rampant with some people in the first place; why encourage it?

Drive and enjoy. If a real problem comes up, it will be noticed in due time.
    Being prepared is the best defense against an otherwise completely unexpected event.

Think about your own reaction the very first time you experienced the "throbbing" of the brake pedal upon ABS activation.
    Not exactly a valid comparison. You're asking the driver of a good-performing car to get nit-picky about noticing some minor blip in transmission shifting or response to the gas pedal.

The ABS braking warns in the manual about the pulsating pedal, and some suggest trying it out on slippery surfaces at low speeds to see how it feels.
  • honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    Does the new V-6 Camry require premium fuel?

My parents have a 2005 Camry and they were told they must use at least plus grade. Thanks in advance.
    Your parents should read the owner's manual which says regular is fine but one may noticed increased performance with premium. I have never noticed better performance on my 2006 V6 but mileage seems to be better with premium (just about enough to offset the increased cost).
    "....in the manual...."

Yes, and many of the questions posed here are a really good indication of just how many owners bother to read the owners manual...

I always have in the past but now that it's a ~600 page volume..
    Ok, you're right there about reading manuals, although I do read mine.

Then again, I don't buy complex cars with complex options, so I can skip over the parts about the fancy audio systems and since my children are grown, I can also skip over the part about child restraints.

But my original point still stands -- no reason for someone to find nits in a car that's driving just fine.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Probably really not enough to offset the extra cost or there wouldn't any point to lower octane fuel.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Question for you 210delray......what is wrong with warming up the car?

I like driving a warm vehicle and based on my experience, any car drives better and shifts better if it is warmed up.....versus having the rpm's go up as you drive or sit at idle.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    For the V6 Camry there will be a difference in power and gain in mpg with premium unleaded but for the 4 cylinder Camry there wont be any difference in performance and hence buying premium will be a complete waste of money. I guess it really depends on the engine of the car. Vast majority of the cars run just fine on regular but some cars do benefit with premium. I always buy premium for my 03 V6 Camry and regular for my 99 Corolla.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    Keep buying Toyota products and you will not have to read everything so carefully.

For example, the info on VSC is almost identical in the Camry, Highlander, Tundra, and Scion xB manuals, all of which I have partially read [and owned] - who needs to read up on a CC stalk operation, etc.

Our New Camry came with a DVD version of the owner's manual. Just point and click like a TIVO.
    ...what is wrong with warming up the car?

I found this with a quick Google search:

EPA:
    Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas at idle than do cars with smaller engines.

Edmunds:
    Avoid Excessive Idling.
    When a car is idling, it is using fuel, yet not going anywhere. This translates to 0 mpg. When you leave your car running while you are waiting in line at the drive-thru, or as you wait outside your kids' school, you are wasting fuel. It is more efficient to turn the engine off while you wait and then restart the car. If that's not practical (like in the line at McDonald's), then park the car and go inside instead.

Iowa State University:
    Most vehicles do not need to be warmed up. In fact, no matter how efficient the car is, unnecessary idling wastes fuel, costs money and pollutes the air. If waiting for more then couple minutes in a drive-up lane, turn off the engine. Also, do not leave the car idling while running into a store for a "quick" errand. This is especially hard on a car during in the hot summer months and is an open invitation for auto theft.

Car Talk (Click and Clack):
    What's your MPG when you're idling? It's negative! You're actually burning gas... and going nowhere.

If you're sitting outside a tattoo parlor waiting for your grandmother, and you know it's going to take her a good 15 minutes to get that new Komodo dragon tattooed on her left butt cheek, turn off your engine. You're just burning money. Some people have heard a myth that it takes more gas to start a car than to run it. So they use that as an excuse to leave a car idling. It's complete B.S. If you're stationary for more than a couple of minutes, shut it off, and save gas.

This tip also applies to warming up the car. Unless it's below freezing, cars don't need to be warmed up at all. Driving them gently is the best warm up there is. If it's 25 degrees out, you might want to let it warm up for 30 seconds. If it's 10 degrees out, warm it up for a minute. If it's -10 degrees out, move somewhere warmer.
    >What's your MPG when you're idling? It's negative!

Only Click and Clack could mess this up too. Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. It's impossible to get "negative" gas mileage; your tank would overflow would be one interpretation. Grin. ;) Or you would be going in reverse, i.e., -10 miles per gallon would mean you went 10 miles backwards and used one gallon? :blush:

• jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I took negative to mean that it is reducing the average you were at before idling. Example, your tank average was 25mpg when you started idling, you might now be at 24.9mpg. negative...
    Washed our silver LE for the first time today [got it 2/17] and finished off with the spray-on Eagle 1 - Wax As U Dry. I began using this every other wash job last summer on my Hh SUV after Consumer Reports gave it a favorable rating except for durability. However, they did recommend it because its so easy to use. 50 degrees, sunny, no wind, no problem. I'll probably never use anything else.
    Nu Finish was my former liquid wax and the clear coat scratch remover from the same company worked well on a door scuff last weekend.

Seems like back in the day one had to let a newly built vehicle "cure" for two months before laboriously waxing it.
    That spray-on wax is a great invention! No more laborious rubbing and buffing, which of course you end up never doing because you don't have the time.
    It doesn't affect the trim like liquids either and basically saves TWO STEPS. I actually did the SUV and sedan yesterday - took 4 hours.

Rain X is in my detailing quiver. I don't know how I ever got along without it either!
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Thanks for the repsonse. I got the impression people were trying to say it is bad for a car to warm up. Wasting gas is a "bad" thing.....but it isn't bad for the car.

I was just curious what you meant.

Thanks again.
  • george165george165 Member Posts: 17
    Hi guys today after only 1500 miles my check engine light went on i called the service thay told me check the gaz cap because if its loose the light going on i check it's ok i call them back they schedul an appt for monday now this is my quastion i have just basic warranty should they provide me with loaner or not?
    Do you guys think its something serious?
    Did any budy report same problem in 2007 camry 4 cyl?
    2oo7 camry 4 cyl made in japan
    your inputs are appreciated.
    have a nice weekend
  • aznmaskaznmask Member Posts: 21
    I bought my Camry 2007 V6, on July 2006, and right now have 5200Mile. Do i have to rotate the tires? the manule said rotate in 6month or 5K mile.