Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    And I'm willing to bet quite a few Toyota customers in the Gulf States Toyota/Southeast region buy their cars from dealers far, far away.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Actually, Toyota outsells, Honda in Canada. If my recollection is accurate, except for one year, they have always outsold Honda. Both Toyota and Honda sell more cars than Ford and Chrysler (have done so for quite some time). "Better" I don't think so. In any case, sales shouldn't be an indication that a vehicle or Company is "better". You'll have prove early January in the business section in most major papers (the Star, Globe & Mail, etc.)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Anyone care to chat about the upcoming Camry debut instead of corporate sales in the US and Canada!

Thoughts? Concerns? Wish list compared to current version (reasonable, please)?

~alpha
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Yes, I would. What do we know about the new Camry(features, changes from 2006, etc.)?
    I would like to see VSC available in the LE and side air-bags standard. I hope they keep a fuel-efficient I4 with the 5-speed auto trans.
    As a side-note; I am still debating whether to get a new 2006 or wait until the 2007s are out. My major concern is that the price of the 2007 will be higher and then I will not be able to get a 2006 with the colors and options that I want.
    I think its pretty much a given that Toyota will make the side curtains and airbags standard on this Camry line; the marketplace segment is just too important to Toyota to ignore the safety line, especially with the IIHS's new 'Top Safety Pick' ratings to go after.

I also dont think that you will see any decrease in fuel efficiency with the 4 cylinder. Allegedly, the 5 speed automatic is brand new, and I'll be its been designed specifically with Camry motivation in mind. Hopefully this unit will maximize the 2.4L's efficiency and power, with smart and subtle gear changes. My hope is that the Camrys unit is equivalent to the RAV4's 166 horse rating, I dont see why it should lose 8 horses to 158 as has been rumored.

The price you pay for the first several months will definitely be higher on the 07s. However, I'd expect that MSRPs wont change very much, as is Toyota's trend with recent redesigns. MSRPs on similarly equipped models of redesigns are often close to their former counterparts, but Toyota adds a slew of high end options that drive fully loaded MSRPs up several grand. For example, the redesigns of the Sienna and Avalon.... with the Sienna LEs + an option package, and the typically equipped XLS Avalons, you're within $500 of the former model. But get a Sienna XLE Limited or an Avalon Limited and you're 4-5 grand (more on the Sienna) higher than the former top tier model. Same with the GS and IS Lexus redesigns.

~alpha
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I believe that's where the new Camry will make its debut. Would be nice to get some pictures posted here.
  • jimbobjoeginjimbobjoegin Member Posts: 18
    i am really hoping that toyota will be one of the first car companies to make VSC and side curtain airbags standard on all of their cars, cuz that would win me over right there.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    No way a car like the Yaris is gonna get standard VSC any time soon.

In this midsize segment, the Sonata is the first car to offer standard stability control. The Accord was the first car to offer standard curtains.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The new Camry debuting in 10 days will have all the A/B standard and VSC will be the first option on every vehicle.. if the customer wants it. Lot's dont want it.. Go figure.

You can get an '06 Camry LE + VS + GY now.

The Toyota Mgt already stated that VCS + Trac will be standard soon. Hey it's on the $14K Scion xB standard.
    i really hate how some dealerships feel like they dont have to carry the VSC option. Like some in the midwest, I asked why they didnt put VSC on their cars as an option and they said most people dont need it.

yeah right I have seen so many cars not being able to go up a small hill with out trac control

I thought it was strange why the xB had VSC, maybe because it probably needs it since it is like a box
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "i really hate how some dealerships feel like they dont have to carry the VSC option."

The option combinations are controlled at the region level, not the dealer. For example, in the Great Lakes region which includes Indiana, Illinois, & Wisconsin, only certain option combinations are available. If you go to another region, there may be different option combinations available that are not available in the Great Lakes region. The dealer may decide to stock only certain option combinations and is under no obligation (I don't believe) to make them all available.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could post the new Camry pictures. I am still debating whether to get a new 2006 or wait to see the new 2007. I really want to see a 2007 first before I make the commitment. Toyota is making it hard to resist because thet have 0% financing right now. Of course they will probably keep it into January and February too. Stock selection will be dwindling though. I suppose I can wait until after the Detroit Auto Show provided we can get some good pictures and specific details on it.
    Has anyone heard how long the 2006 will be in production yet?
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    I hope you're correct on the airbag issue. I believe the recently released 2006 RAV4 doesn't have them as standard.
    Is that because they are in a different market being mid-size SUVs?

Thanks........Ken
    I believe that production on the 2006 has stopped. The '07 will be intro'd next week in Detroit and I think it will debut here ~ March 1. Whatever '06's are in inventory now will be it. We are running low at our store.

The 'stolen' pics of the new Camry have been posted here already back a few pages. It shows an SE model. The official pics will be available on Jan 6 on Toyota.com after the launch annoucement in Detroit.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    According to the Georgetown website, production has consistently remained in the 7,000+ range for Camrys produced each week through the week 0f 12/24. From these numbers, it would indicate that production of the 2006 has not ended and production of the 2007 started. You will always see a temporary reduction in output while the plant is converted and this has not happened yet :(
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Also, according to the Georgetown website, tours remain open to the public until March 1. It is very unusual for the plant to conduct tours during a model changeover, so unless something is awry with the website, are we in for a delay that we were not expecting?
  • khbushkhbush Member Posts: 19
    We were at the plant for a tour in sept and the tour consisted of a movie. The plant was closed for the model change.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I can tell from personal experience the Toyo Guard/protection is one of the best application a vehicle MUST have. I used to have an 93 Camry with that protection and the color after 10 years was better than a new vehicle. I just purchased an 06 Sienna Limited and I told the dealer that Toyo Guard is a MUST have or no deal is done and he got me one with ToyoGuard, and yes I do live in NC.
    kdhspyder- have you any information on power/output of the 4 cylinder, along with transmission combinations and prelim EPA ratings?

Its pretty set in stone, it seems, that the V6 will be the 268 horse 3.5L hooked to either a 5 or 6 sp auto... but there's alot of questions about the 4, at least for me.

Also, has the base model really gained 175lbs?

~alpha
    I heard somewhere that the new 07 camry was gonna have a 157hp 4 cylinder as the base engine?

how can you have an engine that is so small?

the accord and altima already have a larger than 160hp 4 cylinder

please tell me that this car will not have such small hp in the 4 cylinder area
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    ???

Maybe that isn't even the right number, but supposed it is? So what? It's a Camry.
    Why are you so worried about having a trivial amount less horsepower than a 4 cylinder Accord when you haven't driven the car to see how it drives?
    This is not a crisis. There is a V6 model available so they should make the 4 cylinder model the economy choice.
    They also have the hybrid model with power between the V6 and base engine, so there is no reason to make the base model beat an Altima on a drag strip.
    Also note that the Altima's 175 horsepower engine was rated under the *OLD* SAE testing procedure and has NOT been re-rated under the new approved 08/04 methodology. I would expect that output would decrease, given the trend of the other Japanese makes after re-rating.

Honda's 166 horse 2.4L 4 IS SAE approved, however, and an increase over former years due to revisions for the 2006 refresh.

We will see where the Camry's engine comes in, though at 154 horses for 2006, it moves the vehicle just fine.

~alpha
    I'd give up 10 horses for a 1 mpg increase. Not sure that there is such a correlation though.
  • krispykreme1krispykreme1 Member Posts: 22
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen but that'd be great seeing how high gas prices are right now. I'm in total agreement here with the other posters; people who buy the 4 cylinder Camry care more about fuel economy than they do about performance. Those who want faster acceleration can always opt for the V6 or the hybrid.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    On our just-completed cross-country trip with our 2004 Camry 4-cylinder with 3 adults, a full trunk, and cargo in the left rear seat and floor, I was quite satisfied with the advertised 157 hp.

The car cruises fine at 75 mph on the interstates (legal in many western states) and climbed the Monarch Pass (11,312 ft.) on US 50 in CO with no problems. It struck me that there are few freeways left with too-short acceleration lanes, so getting a good running start is no problem in merging into high-speed traffic.

Our overall trip mpg was 30.5, including slow going in national parks and the many small towns we toured (slow because we were taking in the sights, not because of traffic).
    There is nothing even on the unofficial level yet that we peons get to know. The GM prolly knows or could get the info but these details are not of too much interest to him.

conjecture only. It's the same 2.4L as in the '02-'06 model and as in the new RAV so after the SAE adjustment I wouldnt be surprised if it was 157-165 HP same as the present one but with a tweak or two.

FE? Again conjecture, 1 mpg better up to 35 Hwy?

Everything I've read seems to indicate a 5 spd Auto linked to the 4c - which would be nice.

Regarding the Altima I was scouting the competition at the local Nissan lot and was shocked to see the 29 mpg Hwy on their 4c. That must be a tough sell these days, horsepower or not.
    Agreed, delray.

Since 1990 I've had four 4c Camry's until the Prius last month and I never felt they lack anything in cruising power on the Interstates. Even the dragstrip known as I95 from NY to Richmond. 70-85 mph was never a problem in any condition.

The new 2.4L that you have is wonderful. It's worlds ahead of the engines in my other Camry's.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I agree with both of you. The Camry's current 4cyl. is more than adequate. The 2007 will will likely have the same 2.4L 166HP that the new RAV has. Let's not forget torque in the equation. Some vehicles have higher HP. However, you have to rev them pretty high before the effect can be felt. No thanks.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Agreed 100% about the current Altima's 2.5L MPG.

Especially considering that the 3.5L gets 30 MPG on the highway opposed to the 29 the 2.5 gets.

I'm sure that with its redesign on the way Nissan will give the 2.5 or whatever engine it gets a 6spd manual and optional 5spd. Automatic.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why would you be sure of that and not assuming and guessing?
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    According to another internet resource
    2007 Fuel economy
    ___(City/hwy)
    I4 9.8/6.5 L/100km
    V6 10.7/7.0 L/100km

I4 (2.4L) models have increase fuel economy in city(before was 10.0L/100km) and decrease in hwy(before was 6.4L/100km)
    V6 (3.5L) models have gain fuel economy for both city and hwy!
    The I4 has 158hp while V6 has 268hp! There is 110hp difference but the fuel consumption is close, what a shame on I4!

8 airbags + 4 wheel disc + ABS standard + tilt/tele steering wheel + a lot more!
  • asheashe Member Posts: 3
    this may be the best example to date. japanese auto makers have never had an original design idea. stealing design cues from european and american concepts and current production cars, in this case an audi A6, and a bastardized A6 at that.
    this may be the best example to date. japanese auto makers have never had an original design idea. stealing design cues from european and american concepts and current production cars, in this case an audi A6, and a bastardized A6 at that.

HUH?.. You joined today and this is your first post? Style and Camry in the same idea? :surprise: Well maybe a little ;) .

This version Camry is only a modified version of the '02-06 Camry. Whats the big deal? It's a people mover. Dont offend anyone and sell the hell out of it. That sounds like a winning formula to me.

Style? Thats for the peripheral vehicles like the '6' and the audi's. Everyone has it's place in the natural order of things and that keeps everything in balance.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    I agree you may be getting some benefit from the Toyoguard, but are you really getting your moneys worth. I think that it is just a big money maker for the dealer.
    WHY: Toyoguard List=$619, Invoice=$159.
    Toyoguard Plus List=$699, Invoice=$231.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I promised myself not to get involve but its hard to passed up on this one.
    I dont see any resemblance of the new Camry to the A6. None whatsoever. Since this is your first post, research first the Lexus concept LF-Sh. There you may find some of the styling cues of the Camry.
    Yes, I agree with you for the price is high up there but if you keep the vehicle for a long time it really worths the extra money...

I was careful to get the vehicle with code XY40 or XY70 and not the XT40 or XT70...:

XY40 $409.00 (MSRP)/$619.00 (Invoice)
    XY70 $481.00 (MSRP)/$699.00 (Invoice)
    ... it should be:

XY40 $409.00 (Invoice)/$619.00 (MSRP)
    XY70 $481.00 (Invoice)/$699.00 (MSRP)

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year
  • kk2482kk2482 Member Posts: 33
    What is the Toyo Guard? :confuse:

I am in the process of purchasing a new vehicle, and was wondering if this was a part of the maintenance and warranties that Toyota offers. Could you explain what the Toyo Guard/Protection is?

*Kristy
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Kristy,

As I understand it, Toyo Guard is a way for dealers in the southern region to pad the price of Toyotas by adding these phony protections that are worth maybe 10% of what they charge. It's basically price-gouging. Toyota should forbid it, but apparently the distributer in this region has a lot of clout. Don't seek it out; if you live outside the south, you'll probably be lucky and avoid it.
    It is a clean sealant solution that is applied on the body of the vehicle and also there is a thicker layer of the same solution in darker color that is applied underneath the vehicle for additional water protection and noise insulation. For example "Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40" gives you the following:

Exterior Paint Sealant
    Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner
    Interior Fabric Protector
    Undercoating/Sound Shield
    Glass Etch Theft Deterrent

My suggestion is in case you plan to keep the vehicle for years to come and especially if you live in a tough climatic environment (too hot or too cold) go ahead and purchase it, you will not regret it as I have not. I had a 1993 Camry and its paint after over 10 years it looked better than new.

Also I believe the current paint is water based (environmentally friendly) and is not as durable as the oil based paints of the past... so there is definitely a benefit to have the extra protection and I will admit that dealers will make some profit. I had an brand new 2005 Odyssey that I got rid off (traded in for a beautiful 2006 Sienna Limited) for many reasons, one in particular was the paint wearing OFF where was frequently touched (rear liftgate)... it had no extra protection.

So I think I made your decision easy for you now.

Happy New Year
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    As you can see from the itemized list, it's just a glorified wax job and Scotchgard type protectant.

Don't be fooled. Keep your car cleaned and waxed and don't eat in the car if you can avoid it. Vacuum the interior and use a foam-type cleaner on any stubborn spots.

Carpeted floor mats can be thoroughly scrubbed with a plastic bristle brush and ordinary dishwashing detergent (or the foam cleaner) and then hosed off. Allow to dry thoroughly in the sun.

Today's cars have more than adequate rust protection, sound insulation, and durable paint. For theft protection, all Camry major body panels have stickers on them listing the car's Vehicle Identification Number (the stickers self-destruct if you try to peel them off).

I've had cars for years, and provided you take care of them, they will last long and look good.
  • asheashe Member Posts: 3
    yes, but have you ever seen a lexus that wasn't a bastardized version of a Mercedes-Benz, Honestly?
    Wow, thats one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long time. Welcome to the boards.

~alpha
    ok I didnt want to ask this, but I could ignore it.

How is a lexus a bastardized version of a mercedes-benz?

I am a deep car enthusiast and I have heard and read reviews everywhere that the LS is probably the best car in the world and I would have to agree because I have test drived it and I dont think anything can beat it

especially with the new one debuting at the 06 detroit auto show

anyways I really love the interior of the new camry, but I wish the front headlights were larger.

I dont get how cars these are having shrunken front headlights

PS. please refrain yourself from typing in italics
    You are a bit dense to tell people not to use italics. It's a standard part of this site, and its a choice people have.

The 07 Camry will have larger headlights than the current model - thank goodness! I agree they are a bit smaller on the current models.

I'm anxious to review the 07 model hands-on. There are so many different people/companies commenting on how much better the Camry's handling gets with every model, and how many attributes the 07 has to the Lexus lineup. Soon soon we'll all get to see! :D
  • gwinbeargwinbear Member Posts: 16
    The 268hp 3.5 and the 302 hp direct injection counterpart, IMO, has be one of the finest engine to date since the GM LS1 in terms of reliability, fuel economy (highway), and performance.

However, I do not enjoy the sound from the engine. There was an Avalon I saw that had straight pipes, and they almost come as 'I'm maxed out and can't be tuned anymore'. Certainly the Camry won't be any different.

I also had a few strong predictions as well:

1) Many San Francisco taxi drivers will ditch the Crown Vic and opt for the new V6 camry or even the current Avalon for the sake of fuel economy - if only they can be beat up to a degree like the Crown Vics do.

2) The strongest impact with this engine is most notably the Accord owners who are fed up with the thin doors that are prone to scratches and dents. My 1999 Accord, 130000 miles, has over 20 dents. It's ridiculous. How does the engine related to this? Simple - the current accord has 34- 44 horses more than the current camry, and number is always good for marketing. That's why Honda never says 'torque' in their commericals. :D

Gwinbeer
    Thank you for all the helpful information on ToyoGuard! Could you tell me what the differences are between the XY40 and XY70? Are there any other options or things I need keep in mind? A Toyota is a definite option for my next car purchase - which will hopefully happen soon. :)
    You are welcome...

XY70 is called Toyoguard Plus Protection Group-XY70 and it gives you the following:

Roadside Assistance Program
    No Charge for First Oil and Filter Change at any Southeast Toyota Dealership
    Vehicle VIN Etch Glass Product Protection Program
    Exterior Paint Sealant, Undercoating and Interior Protection Application
    Rental Car Assistance for Warranty Repairs

XY40 gives you the following:

Exterior Paint Sealant
    Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner
    Interior Fabric Protector
    Undercoating/Sound Shield
    Glass Etch Theft Deterrent

So with XY70 you get free oil change road side assistance and rental car assistance.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Such has always been the case with the 4 cylinder engines in the Camry. The Accord always boasts higher HP numbers but the Camry has always had more torque. I'll take torque any day of the week.
    ;)
    Mackabee
    Actually, the Camry 4 and the Accord 4 have exactly the same torque: 160. The Accord has 12 more horses.