Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Saab?

Comments

• You know SAAB is fighting an up hill battle trying to market a four cylinder engine, however good, in this price segment and their 6 cylinder is underwhelming. But as I posted about a year or so ago, they could solve this problem quite easily by taking a page from the Audi playbook and strapping two turbos, one for each bank, onto the V6. They would then have an AERO that would compete with BMW, expecially in the snow belt. Developemnt time? How long would it take to get a couple of pallet loads of V6 engines shipped to someone like a Roush or ASC in Detroit? Add an engine oil cooler, some better rod bearings, and a few other tweaks and they would be done.

SAAB pioneered the idea of the winter car. Then Volvo moved upscale and blew by them with an AWD system they buy off the shelf form Haldex. SAAB naturally can't find Haldex' phone number on their rolodex (hint: look under "Lipe Clutch") and so is stuck (pardon the pun) with FWD vehicles in a market segment that is moving to AWD.

Think about the showroom traffic dealers would have if they could offer a twin turbo six cylinder AWD 9-5 wagon or sedan.

Why GM's Bob Lutz, supposedly a real car guy, can't figure this out is amazing. I think he landed his jet fighter too many times with the wheels up.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,277
    With a new 9-3 arriving in 2010 and a 9-5 (optimistically) proposed for 2008, along with two failed badge jobs, how much hope can we really hold for the survival of the Saab brand? Really, how much equity is really left in the nameplate? I think even Putz knows this, and is just milking it along, waiting to dump it on somebody else for any amount of cash. Heck, Toyota bought the stake in Fuji heavy Ind. a former GM affiliate and is teaming up with GM's old ally Isuzu to build a line of diesels. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Saab followed suit. I really wouldn't. :blush:
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,993
    I think thats a great idea. I think GM, should sell Saab to Toyota and the 9-3 can be a rebadged Yaris and the 9-5 can be a rebadged camry, oops Lexus already had dibs on that one. Okay how bout a rebadged Carolla. ? ;)

Rocky
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    It's not that there's not enough power, It's that it comes on so high and in a non linear kind of way

I have no idea what Saab's you have been driving. All Saab's sold in the US (aside from 9-2x and 9-7x rebadge jobs) since circa 1998 are turbo-charged cars with peak torque below 2000rpm, compared to typical 4000rpm torque peak for normally aspirited engines. That's what make Saab's great cars to drive in cities and normal highway driving.
  • sidvsidv Posts: 64
    "Then, the steering is horrible. Excessive torque steer, and it's to (SIC) thin and cheap feeling."

Don't know what you've been smoking but none of that is true recently in the least. Yes, the power is non-linear in the 2.0T but not the 2.3T which has a stellar torque curve.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Saabs next model lineup should be:

9-1 as a aveo twin with a saab designed interior,
    9-3 SAAB designed off the g-6/aura/malibu platform
    9-5 built off the Impala's platform
    9-7x being a Saab designed equinox with saabs engines
    9-9x being a lambda

All odd numbers and a great lineup of vehicles! The aveo with a 2.0T engine = 0-60 in 5secs because of the lightweight!

-Cj :)
  • georgekgeorgek Posts: 50
    "All variants feature either a 1.8 L or 2.0 L straight-4 petrol engine derived from General Motors' Ecotec family, or a turbocharged 2.8 L High-Feature V6 (starting in 2006). There are two different versions of the turbo I4, with the amount of turbo boost determining the power output."

That's the 9-3, about which I know very little. The 2.3 HOT in the 9-5 is not a GM design, but the last of the SAAB fours derived from Triumph.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Saab's lineup could be:

9-2 (using the Saturn Astra platform)
    9-3 (using the second generation Epsilon platform)
    9-4 (using the next generation Theta platform, or possibly a shortened version of Lambda)
    9-5 (using the second generation Epsilon platform)
    Sonnett (using the Kappa platform)

I also think that Saturn and Saab could possibly work together, benefiting both companies. Saab's base models (like the 9-2)could be built in Spring Hill, avoiding higher labor costs at Trollhattan (and therefore creating a cheaper Saab). Niche models like the Sky/Sonnett could be built in Trollhattan, where better quality can be ensured. (maybe)

Does anybody else think so?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    GM already announced that most production of Saabs would be (or has already been - this is old news now) moved out of Trollhattan, while they would move IN production of the Euro-Caddy BLS?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

As far as I know, Trollhattan is still pumping out 9-3s and 9-5s. (along with the rebadged 9-3 Cadillac BLS)

I remember hearing something about Trollhattan being an underutilized plant a while back, and I think it might make sense to build an Opel or two there, although if Saab added new models I wouldn't be surprised if GM decided to build them at Trollhattan.
  • Anyone have any solid info on the newest Saab to allegedly be introduced in May 07?
    I haven't heard anything of a Saab coming out in May, as it would have hit the auto show circuit already.

I did read Automobile magazine a few days ago and they had an article about Saab's future plans; they said that a 9-5 hatchback has been confirmed (for 2009), along with a next-generation Opel Astra based 9-1, and a 9-4X crossover based on Lambda, I believe. (not too sure on that last one)
  • OK, had it from a failry reliable source of something new in May. Shall let you know if it happens...
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    I sell them for a living and have no idea what you're referring to.
  • OK, let's just wait and see...
  • The new SUV is coming out in August, saw it in Vegas...cool, better than the 9-7x. 9-3 is going all wheel drive this fall but I bet the payments will be outrageous for a while. Waiting to see, interested but incentives usually surface at dealers in spring following a new product.

I have heard nothing on a hatchback remake......
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Unless your source is named Bob Lutz or Jay Spenchian,I think my access to Saab product introduction schedules is very likely more accurate than yours.As to any SUV you might have seen in Vegas...the only Saab SUV in Vegas would have been at the SEMA tuner expo and was the 9-7X Aero,a very moderately re-done version of the current model,fitted out with a lowered suspension and 24 inch chrome rims done by DUB...nice looking vehicle but readily apparent to anyone familiar with the 9-7x that it was hardly a replacement new model!
    we just have to wait and see.

A new SUV in August would make no sense unless the 9-7X was axed.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,993
    Edmunds, hasn't said hardly anything about Saab, in about 3-4 months. I wonder if any of you have seen any pics of the future products ?

Rocky