Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 530xi - 2006

Comments

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Whether you like the feel of a sport seat is entirely subjective. It is stiffer than the nonsport seat, which is not necessarily a bad thing--it depends on what feels good to you. Test drive both sport and nonsport seats. It's the only way to know for sure which you prefer.
  • neglexneglex Member Posts: 5
    Can I ask where you bought your BMW? We want the same car? Thanks.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    Am I allowed to do this? Host, please let me know if I can name particular dealerships and/or sales people in response to a question.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Dealership, city, and state, yes - individuals, no. Thanks for asking!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ok neglex, here's where I purchased my 530xi: Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH.

The salesman there was very professional, gave me no BS or try to sell me what I did not want, and kept the commitment he made to me via email without any hassles.

I emailed a bunch of dealers in the Boston area and the guy at Tulley was hands-down the best to work with as well as the best price without hassles like "show me my competitor's quote" or "come on down!!!"
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    ...here's where I purchased my 530xi: Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH.

Good to know - that's where I hope to buy mine as well. Were you dealing with the sales manager/internet contact, or did you work with a salesman? Did you name a price and they accepted it, or did you have a little back & forth?
    I worked with the "Internet Manager" who responded to my email inquiry off their website. I asked him what he wanted for the car, he responded, and I went back with a more aggressive counter that he agreed to. We quickly reached an agreement via email and then it was smooth sailing after that.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to assume that you didn't have the chance to test drive the 530xi since few people have demo "x" cars, and instead just drove the regular 530i. Have you noticed any differences?

I'm guessing that since the 530xi is rear wheel biased and the difference in weight is only 250 pounds, there isn't much difference, but I'm curious. I don't like ordering a car that I haven't driven before, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception. ;)
    No, I did not drive a 530xi, but I did drive an automatic 530i as well as a manual 545i. I wanted to drive a manual 5 series to see how it felt and I am guessing the manuals in the 530i and the 545i are pretty similar. I was told by the salesman that "if you can tell the difference between how the 530i and the 530xi drive then you should be driving for BMW!" and I tend to agree with him. In any case, I am not an aggressive driver and would not tend to notice differences unless they were really significant (and I don't believe that the 170lb difference is a big deal). That's not to say that I won't turn into an aggressive driver once I get my hands on my stick-shifting bimmer!!
    That's pretty much what I figured - thanks for the feedback.
  • beamingbeaming Member Posts: 40
    Hey freddybb:
    I picked up my new 2006 530xi Tuesday, July 12. Funny thing when I ordered the car in May the dealer said it would be about 8 weeks. It was 8 weeks to the day from order to delivery. The car is awesome and drives like a dream. I can't imagine having (needing or wanting) any more power (mine is the steptronic automatic). The car has lived up to all of my expectations and then some. I know you will be just as thrilled as me when you get yours in a couple of weeks. Also, I found the order tracking on the owners' circle to be pretty acurate, some others thought there was a lag time but mine was right on. It's going to take some time to learn all of the features, little by little, everyday a new surprise. Good luck!
  • dsilver2dsilver2 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, beaming,
    I have a 2006 530xi on order also, I was wondering when you were tracking your car on the net, did you see the options listed in that options' box? I don't see any of the options listed in that box.
    By the way, looks like the schedule on my car is also gonna be exactly 8 weeks.
    Other than that, enjoy your car, I am sure you love it and keep us informed.
    Hi dsilver2:
    The options were not listed in the box which I found disappointing as it would have been nice to confirm that the car was being built as ordered.
    It only gave the exterior and interior color, black sapphire metalic and auburn. Did you get silver as your name indicates?
    This is freddybb, waiting for my 530xi too (black, grey). Congrats beaming -- keep us posted, although I am pretty jealous! No, my options are not listed either -- the site is pretty lame and I would have thought that they had an email option (i.e., they send you an email when the status changes from one step to the next). Maybe they have this and i just have not noticed.

I was browsing the M35 forum yesterday (after all, that was my second choice) and read about a lot of happy owners with very few problems. I hope we have the same experience with our 530xi's!

Also, I noticed that the 530xi weighs 3638 lbs while the M35x weighs 4004 lbs -- almost 400 lbs more! That's the kind of feeling I got in the M35x when I test-drove it -- a heavier, bulkier, car compared to the airy sports car feel of the 5. I wonder if 400 lbs in lesser weight makes up for the 25 less HP that the 5 has (280 HP in M35 compared to 255 HP in 530xi). Remarkably, BOTH cars have pretty much exactly the same "Pounds per HP" value (something I came up with, not an official statistic). The 530xi is 3638/255 = 14.27 lb/HP and the M35x is 4004/280 = 14.3 (exactly) lb/HP!! OK, OK, I am being really nitpicky here but just having fun!
    Hi, beaming,
    Yes, I got the silver/grey.
    The car is due to arrive around the first week of August.
    I got all the options except the sport package, I didn't like the seats or the ride that comes with the sports package.
    I hope I made the right choice since I am coming out of a Lexus LS430 which had no problems whatsoever in 4+ years of driving. I am sort of a little concerned about the reliability because of reading about all the problems involved with the 7 series. I hope they didn't mess around too much with the 5.
    Keep in touch so we can compare notes and happiness without any problems.
    I picked up my brand new 530xi last weekend, only to have to take it back to the shop where it has been for the past three days! I was so excited to get this car, but this experience has numbed my excitement and left me afraid about what reliability problems are to come.
    Apparently there is some kind of electrical malfunction that is causing the iDrive screen to be so dim that it cannot be seen, and the "High Battery Drain" warning message comes on intermittently. Has anybody else experienced this problem? The dealership does not seem to know what is going on and is working with BMW to resolve it.
    They first gave me a Neon to drive, but are switching me to an X3 -- but all is want is for the 5 to be fixed.
    Beautiful car, but I wish it worked out of the gate. Now I have friends sticking posters on my office window at work saying "My other car is a new BMW, but at least my Neon gets me to work!" -- how cruel they can be :-)

Oh well, all the waiting and then this -- I hope I get it back soon.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    We got the stationwagon, and it is great..I am sure they will get the problem in your car figured out and fixed....The driving experience is to be loked forward to, I assure you....Our I drive takes some getting use to, and it is a challenge, but the challenge is sort of fun.imo...Right now we don`t just get in the car and drive, as you always have to be ready to respond to the un known...Good luck Tony
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Get the awd. I've had both and get 120 inches of snow each year.
  • dpndpn Member Posts: 7
    we'll be buying one in '06. a few questions you price-savvy surfers may be able to help me with.

1. anyone do euro delivery? is it worth the cost savings
    2. anyone buy from a state with no tax. considering flying to a state with no sales tax and driving it back.

thanks in advance for the feedback,

-D
    I considered taking a European delivery when I purchased my 2006 530xi but in the end I decided that I did not want to relinquish my car back over for transport and wait an additional 8 weeks to receive back in the states.
    If you purchase a car out of state you will end of paying the taxes on it when you title it in your home state.
  • bksportbksport Member Posts: 5
    I also recently took delivery of a 530xi and although they were not available to test drive - I did drive the 530i extensively. I haven't had any electrical problems, but I've been disappointed with the shifting at low speeds in traffic. I didn't notice this at all on the 530i I test drove - but it's very obvious on the all wheel drive. I've talked to the dealership and others have reported the same issue, but there is nothing at this time that really can be done. The AWD also seems to have a vibration in the front at 45-55 that smooths out as you get above 55. The dealership has indicated that it should smooth out as I put more miles on the car.

It's an awesome car but I'm not sure that the XI version is really as smooth as the 530I. I'm curious if others are experiencing the same thing
    We also have the wagon.....I noticed the shimmy you mention almost exctly as you mentioned....The dealership rotated and balanced the tires..Found one of the little lead weights had fallen off....It is now fine all the time....Further at first the shifting was not taking place as expected....For some reason it shifts just right imo now....I have very little to go on as the last car was a clk ....Incidentally the gas milage is really good for what I expected...Nice engine response when desired and a great driving car with all the good stere ect.....Tony
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .are you unaware that the 530xi could be had with a stick shift? Are you aware that this is perhaps THE LAST CHANCE you may have to have such a fine machine with a stick?

I am the screaming voice in the wilderness and I mean you no disrespect -- but if you were going to get this driving machine with an automatic, the Infiniti M35X or Audi A6 3.2 were also available but were not offered with the stick shift.

Truth be told, much as I like my A6, I love my wife's new X3 with the stick shift -- my supreme disappointment was probably showing when I took a new 530xi out for a test drive and the dealer proclaimed, "no stick shifts have been or will be ordered for inventory."

Nice as the BMW 530xi, it was somehow emasculated with the autotrans.

BMW, like Audi and Mercedes before it, have brought their version of the German Buick to our shores.

And, yes, I WOULD like some cheese with my "whine." :cry:
    You are right on -- my new 530xi with a stick shift is a dream machine. The stick was the number one reason for going with the 5 over other makes. That and the gorgeous exterior looks (yes, I am in the growing number of people who are getting increasingly fond of the new look -- and I have lost count of the people who have praised the look of my new 530xi).
    We sure enjoy the drive in the bmw stationwagon 5...All in all a very nice car Tony
  • gkrochmalgkrochmal Member Posts: 12
    I am picking up my 530xi in Munich on 9/15. Have not driven an x drive yet so I am quite curious, Also picking up a 330i at the same time. Owner's circle does not show options for either car. :)
  • gkrochmalgkrochmal Member Posts: 12
    We are picking our car up in two weeks. 7% savings plus whatever the dealer will discount is excellent. With ED you also get 2:1 tickets on Lufthansa. Not too shabby.

Generally when you bring the car into a state with sales tax, the will levy the tax when you try to register the vehicle.
    Did you get a stick? And, what is the deal on the ED -- does it "pay for the trip" to Germany?
  • bogvlybogvly Member Posts: 13
    I am in the growing number of people liking the 530xi. Liking it enough to trade in my '01 530 for it. I'm just about set on the options, but am unsure about comfort access. They say you can start the car with a push button- is that on the key fob or on the dash somewhere?
  • boscojijiboscojiji Member Posts: 4
    I have a question, I have a 2006 530xi on order. I called BMWNA and the info is the car is it is in the body shop with estimated completion date of 9/8. Does this mean my car will have the september upgrades? IE:the new start/stop button and the enhanced dsc+. My dealer says it will, but I just wanted all of your opions on the matter. Thanks
    I took delivery of a new 2006 530xi at the end of July and it did NOT have Comfort Access, so that may be something new they have added. In most cars it is called "keyless ignition" which means that there is a push button on the dash that you press to start and stop the engine, as long as the key is inside the car (i.e., in your pocket or bag). I would guess that the BMW system is very similar.
    MSRP of $56,070; Invoice is $51,665. Dealer is willing to go $53870. Is this a good deal?
  • eddiekeddiek Member Posts: 2
    That is a great price. The best I can do so far is maybe about $1500 off MSRP for a 530xi. Out of curiosity, where are you getting that price?
    I'm in Colorado. I know my price is $2200 below MSRP but I read another thread where it was stated that we should aim for $1500 above invoice. However, that may have been for the 525i and 530i (RWD sedans). The 530xi wagon recently came out and I'm not sure if one can get a great deal. Also, my wife is hesitant about buying a first year model. Anyone heard if they're going to have an '07 530xi wagon?
  • studentshopperstudentshopper Member Posts: 1
    :) is there a rule of thumb when pricing a vehicle. i have never purchased a new vehicle. i've gotten around in clunkers since college. the pentagon credit unions website states to negotiate up from the invoice price, however messages posted in these forums seem to negotiate down from the msrp. my wife is "locked in" on the 530xi despite the ergonomics and smoother ride of the lexus es300, so at the moment i;m focused on price. is it 1500 above invoice? or 2500 below MSRP? Any price advantage purchasing towards the end of the month or end of the year? Thanks in advance!!
    i say the rule of thumb is get it for a price you're comfortable with. the people on the other forum said to go msrp down because you don't deal with any dealer-specific/hidden/junk fees. since i was also interested in the e350 4-matic wagon and a6 avant, i printed the pricing sheets from consumer reports on all three vehicles. before i got to the dealer, i knew exactly what i was looking for and what a fair price would be. dealers hate it when you come armed.

btw, at all the dealerships, they were telling us that there is NO interest in SUVs since the gas prices skyrocketed...we're not into SUVs but if you are, now's a good time.
    We got three thousand off msrp...They had three wagons (530xi) in stock at the time...Really enjoy the stationwagon, and have had no problems..26 mpg at seventy eight mph and low thirties at forty or so mph...Tony
  • chiuchiu Member Posts: 1
    I want to order a 2006 530 xi. Where did you get the $3000 discount off list? I live in Madison Wisconsin, and I don't mind buying elsewhere.
    This was in Charleston S.C at rick hendrick Tony ps It just so happened they wanted too sell the car so it went easy..End of month, but that may be a `wives tale`
  • dtd07dtd07 Member Posts: 19
    Try looking at a fleet management company in your area. Has long has
    you don't contact a dealership. these are an independent company that
    order cars and turcks for other companys some even order for induviduals.
    Here in the Pacific NW I will always by from them- I only go to a
    dealer for test drives, or to see the car. These fleet company don't have
    cars to show everyone-all are special order.
    http://www.bridgeportautogroup.com/
    in addition you get invoice price plus 1%-shipping to Wisconsin is
    another question. It might help if just drop Bridgeport Auto Gourp an
    e-mail. They might find a fleet management company in your
    area.
    good luck. :D
    This is one point of view. And, discounts are not to be disregarded. Yet, here in Cincinnati, a local fleet buyer can get you a deeply discounted vehicle -- but I have found that if your discount would allow the dealer even a penny profit, so to speak, they will match it.

I find value ($) in the relationship with the dealer, his/her salesreps and service advisors and managers. I generally only buy from "a store" where there is an owner at least sometimes in residence.

Here in Cincinnati at the BMW Store (it's real name) the owner is often on the premises. The sales reps have been there for years and years and years, some for decades.

The relationship, leave it at that, has value.

Don't pay more than you have to, of course. But recognition of the monetary and perhaps non-monetary value of the "perks" that you may want, need or at least appreciate, may make you consider or reconsider the fleet approach.

Just a thought. :shades:
    The cover story in today's (Friday 9/16) Wall Street Journal Weekend Journal is entitled "Luxury Cars Go Off Road". And the lead-in to the story mentions someone who purchased a 530xi recently. No prizes for guessing who :-)
  • wjm123wjm123 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone read the WSJ article on 9/16 that said the 530xi could not advance on ice? They put it against a Zamboni ice machine and the Zamboni one. Has anyone driven this car in icy conditions? I was just about to buy a new 530xi to replace my 530i and then I read this article.
    I just got a 530xi 6 weeks ago with all the options except the sport package, car is performing flawlessly.
    As far as the WSJ article is concerned, IMO, I don't think any car would go straight on ice.
    The car is too new since it only came out in May this year so I don't think anyone had time to experience what the car would do in winter.
    As for you, if you live in areas with bad winters, there is no question a 530xi will perform much better than a 530i, but whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy.
  • tcoztcoz Member Posts: 16
    I just got mine for $1000 UNDER invoice. MSRP of $56,330, invoice $51,800, my price $50,800.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I just got mine for $1000 UNDER invoice. MSRP of $56,330, invoice $51,800, my price $50,800.

I don't want to call you a liar, but how did you get a price under invoice? BMW doesn't have holdback or anything like that, so "invoice" is their true invoice. I can't imagine a dealer would sell a hot and limited-availability car like the 530xiT for a loss...... The only way that is possible is if they really under-allowed on your trade-in car.
    Yes, please let us know where you got it from. For that price, I'd be willing to fly out there.
    My local dealer has it posted on his website. They got four of them in about 8 weeks ago and hadn't sold one. The owner wants to move at least two of them out. As for the price, I thought the same as you until I found out that even though BMW does not have a "holdback" as such, the dealer is rebated 2.5% of the total MSRP for things such as cleanliness, selling a certain number of cars, knowledge of staff, etc AND they get up to another 2.5% for their CSI scores. That's why they're so intent on getting "perfect 5's" on those scores. When you take that into account, he's making about $1800 on my car which is being delivered to my house on Friday. BTW, I have a long-term relationship with this dealer and have bought three new cars in the last three years alone, although that doesn't have anything to do with the price. I had been looking at the car for a couple of weeks and just ran across the special on the website. I believe they still have two white ones and a black one. I'll be happy to give you the dealer's web address if we can do that here. I recently had my message removed on another thread for mentioning my sales associate's name. Let me know.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    My local dealer has it posted on his website.

And your local dealer is.............
    www.levinbmw.com. New Inventory>View Our Specials
    Also, I didn't have a trade-in
This discussion has been closed.