Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 530xi - 2006

Comments

• argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    If you haven't seen it yet, the 2006 5-series brochure is available online now at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/342737E1-D5EF-41F5-85F2-252531E0F31E/0/20065SedanBrochu- re.pdf
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    I built 530i online (just to see how much the MSRP will be), but no Xi option for 530.
    Also, on the brochure PDF the sport package for 530xi is nothing special:
    1)18" wheels (instead of 17")
    2)12-way front seats (instead of 10-way)
    3)shadowline trim (instead of silver chrome)

and all these for $2300 upgrade!
    I'll wait until they add 530xi onto "build your BMW" selection.
  • jrp604jrp604 Member Posts: 4
    Just ordered my 530xi, the base is $48,700.00. With the options I want it topped out just over $58,000. Dealer said it should be in about June.
    Options are pretty much the same as on the 530i.
    Cold Weather Pkg. = $750
    Premium Pkg. = $1800
    etc.
  • big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    I know it's the wrong forum, but what sort of a discount off of msrp did you get? Any?? I am ordering next week
    So did you order the sport package?
    If yes how much is it for 530xi.

I always order sport but like I said $2300 for no upgrade in suspension is a little stiff.
    Thanks.
  • column4column4 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 530xi wagon in Germany. According to the on-line car configurator, the M-package, (and especially the sport suspension) is not allowed in combination with the x-drive.

I had the M-package on a previous 530, and was frustrated just with running winter tires. I used to wait anxiously for the spring and the return of responsive handling of summer tires. Not sure if I am willing to give up the handling for the occasional AWD situation. I never had a 5er get stuck in the snow yet! Traction control is amazing.
    So column4, did you used the germany BMW web site to configure your car? or US web site?

Well, saw the 2006 pricing on edmunds, and my question is answered. By looking at the price, it seems that the ARS and sport-tuned suspension is not available on 530xi.
    Too bad, I am back to square one. The AUDI A6 maybe back on as alternative for me.
  • column4column4 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I used the configurator on the german site, but the comment is also on the pricelist .pdf.

Apparently no sport suspension with the x-drive.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thinking back to the E46 3-Series, the "xi" models were also not available with the Sport Suspension. I don't remember if the "Generally accepted reason" has ever had any official blessing from BMW, however, the most folks accept the fact that the extra ride height afforded by the non-SP suspension is necessary both for ground clearance when in the deep stuff as well as component clearance for the AWD parts. As such, they don't offer it on the xi cars. Is this the actual truth of the matter? Beats me but it sure sounds good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Exactly... the AWD cars have never come with the sport suspension...

In fact, the sport package option on AWD 3-series was always $200 less than on the RWD models, to reflect that..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• teds1teds1 Member Posts: 180
    I actually used to work running an event marketing program for BMW where we were specifically promoting the X (awd) vehicles. At that time (two years ago)we were told that they would never introduce a 5 series wagon with awd because it would canibalize X5 sales. I guess they realized it wasn't such a big deal when they had the 325xit and X3 out at the same time. By the way that 325 xi wagon is a pig, don't buy it. Total waste of money and the extra rear weight doesn't help the handling. The 530 wagon looks much nicer to me than the sedan. I'll have to drive one to see how it stacks up to Audi and increasingly Subaru, as it's competition.
    My 530xi listed out at $58,145 and I was able to get the dealer down to $56,000. They said it was because it was a limited availibility.
    No, no Sport Pkg. this time, I'm into the cushier ride now. Did get the "Premium & Cold Weather Pkgs". though.Sorry but I don't know the price on the "Sport Pkg". Here's a reference to compare the prices though;
    Here's what we've come up with for you.. WHOLESALE RETAIL

2006 BMW 530xi 44315.00 48700.00

ZCW cold weather package 685.00 750.00

ZPP premium package 1710.00 1800.00

205 automatic transmission 1210.00 1275.00

456 comfort seats 1090.00 1200.00

465 fold down rear seats 430.00 475.00

496 heated rear seats 320.00 350.00

508 park distance control 635.00 700.00

541 active cruise control 2000.00 2200.00

destination charge 695.00 695.00

TOTALS 58145.00

Hope it helps.
    You did good, considering the xi is brand new for 5-series.
    I haven't seen brand new MY BMW discounted very deep. I was offered $500 over invoice on 2001 X5 in october of 2001, that was the lowest I've seen but 2002 MY were started to show up.
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    Just ordered my new 2006 530i - supposed to be delivered to me by April 14th. It MSRP'd for $52,665 and I paid $49,720, or almost $3000 off list (obviously not including taxes and tags) They didn't even charge me a dealer fee. Options include premium package, premium sound system with 6-disc changer, Sirius Satellite Radio, automatic transmission. Got it in Titanium Gray Metallic w/gray leather interior. This is the '06 with increased horsepower (258 hp, I believe).

I can't wait, they finally increased the horsepower sufficiently to made the 530i a more desirable machine without having to go to the 545i.

I'll let you know what it's like compared to the 05 as soon as I take delivery.
  • mabodmabod Member Posts: 11
    I drove the 05 530. Didn't have the thrill the 545 had. Will the 06 engine be the same in the 530XI as the 05 530 ?? Also, anyway to beef it up to give the 545 feel ?

Not trying to sound like an idiot but I live at 7500 feet and the 530 still seemed a little doggish so I was hell bent on a 545. Then again I live in snow country and AWD would help I would think compared to a rear wheel drive. Never owned a BMW . Driving Saab #12

thanks
    No, the '06 gets a different engine.. Same displacement, but 255 HP, instead of 225 HP...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

255 is a tweek more and having not driven it (yet) I can't comment on the gearing but I sure would have liked to see 545XI.

thanks
    Well... it isn't just a tweak.. It is a whole new powerplant from the bottom up.. With three intake runners on the manifold, yada, yada, yada.. I think it will be a substantial increase in power.. 30 Hp up from 225 is 13%.. Which is a huge increase, considering it has the same displacement as the old engine..

No, it won't be the same as a V-8... but, it likely won't get 14 MPG around town like the V-8 either..

Of course, I haven't driven it, either...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All of what you said and something like 12% better gas mileage too. Not too shabby. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    will they have some performance dohickies to boost power for the 530XI ? I'll call them tomorrow. It may be way to early though.
    See my response over on the 5-Series board.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lipcardlipcard Member Posts: 2
    I went to 2 Dealers and they wouldn't take anything off the list.What dealer did you go to?
    I'm in the Metro area of NY.
  • lipcardlipcard Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the BMW 530ix and the Infiniti M35x
    I have an 02 E320 AWD coming off lease and I said I would never get a car without AWD again.
    What is better in the rain and on turns/ AWD or RWD? I know in the snow my E320 4Matic with snow tires is unstoppable.... but I live in NY and it doesn't really snow that much.
  • reavesreaves Member Posts: 14
    I'm new to the BMW board and have a couple of questions. I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 530i or xi ~or~ 525i or xi. I've not made up my mind.... I want the best one possible. I will say that after test driving all three models I will choose the 530 or 525 ( as far as speed for me, either one of these will do ) The 545 is just too fast for me.

What is the heads up display? And is the SMG sequential trans worth the extra money?
    Don't get the SMG without trying it first.. It is not an automatic transmission..

HUD projects your speed up onto the windshield.. Many people like it, but very pricey, IMO...

I think I could do without either of those options..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• reavesreaves Member Posts: 14
    Thank you for the input! I thought that SMG would be more of a automatic.... I'll just stay with the steptronic...I know that it's an automatic or I can shift gears manually. I agree with you that the HUD is expensive.... and a option that I think I can live without as I would have to have nav to have HUD. After doing a lot of looking at price list, options and the brochure today.... I think that I'll just get the 530i or xi. We are in the military & move around often. SO maybe the xi is the better choice.... but with my luck; I'll purchase the xi & the remaining stations will be in area's that rarely have snow! LOL!

Thanks again!
    Sorry about the delay, been away. I went to Kelly BMW in Columbus, Ohio.
    yeah, it was "OK" for me . I know I sound like Randy on American Idol but Not enough pep for me. Pisses me off because we have a BMW dealer in town and Audi is an hour away. I need AWD and the 545 is RWD with lots of power. Looks like I'm headed to the Audi S4. Didn't expect to do that but it's the grand mix of living in snow country and want power and preformance.. What the hell might as well get the cabriolet and have just about the best of it all. Otherwise the 4530xi handled well, , the key is cute and won't poke holes in your pocket but is a little funky when removing it though. It felt solid but seemed a little cheap on the dash for a 60 grand car.

mabod
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Why won't the rwd 530i Touring be brought here? Or the 545i Touring?
  • agehaangelagehaangel Member Posts: 1
    Where did you go to get this car? I am having problems trying to find a dealership that has this car. This one dealer told me that this car is not out on the market. And that it will not be out until late September or October....
  • beamingbeaming Member Posts: 40
    I presumed you've ordered the car and waiting to take delivery?
    I placed my order for a 2006 530xi about 4 weeks ago and expect to take devliery mid to late July. I have seen an '06 530xiT (wagon) on a couple of dealers' lots in Maryland. Don't bother calling BMW Corp. because when I inititally inquired about when they would be available I was told Fall 2005.
    Glad I followed up with the dealer. I have asked other questions of BMW Corp. and have not been able to get them answered. This is very surprising to me.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    I have always wanted to get a 5 series (my first one) and came very close to ordering the 2006 530xi, but I am currently torn between this and the new Infiniti M35x. My heart says 530xi (I have lusted over the 5 for a while), while my head says that the M35x is a better value for money (and more powerful and reliable, etc.). Can someone convince me one way or another? Help...!
    I went through the same thing agonizing over the 530xi or E320 4-matic. I went back and forth and sat in, drove and looked the cars over, and over again. I followed my gut instinct. I found that I got more excited with the BMW which surprised me since my last car was a Mercedes and a terrific car, which goes to show you that the 530xi has some pretty stron appeal. In your case it's a no brainer ------- go German !!!!! What color do you like? :shades:
    beaming -- i finally did it and got the manual 530xi -- see my post from the other board below. Thanks for your advice. And I got $2500 off MSRP just like you did -- it certainly paid to shop around!

---------------------------------------------

Thank you all for the awesome feedback. I made my tough choice yesterday -- and it was the manual 530xi!

I wanted to make this decision quickly before I drove everybody around me crazy! So I went and drove the M35x first and found it to be a very solid, large, fast car with an unbelievable package of goodies and gadgetry for the price. And I was not as turned off by the exterior as the photos made me feel -- especially the picture with the car looking like a blowfish. I really liked this car and my feeling that it would be the rational choice was greatly reinforced.

Then, I went next door to a BMW dealership. Just walking up to the 5 series had me getting excited, and even before I drove a manual 5 series I knew that I was going to get it. I realized how much I missed a manual shifter, and I actually really like the low-slung cat-like look of the new 5 series. And then I drove it and could not wait to take it home!

Summary of reasons for this decision:

- Manual transmission (the xDrive with a manual is the clincher).
    - Exterior looks (yes, I prefer the 5 series look).
    - More connectedness to the driving experience (not that I am a race car driver or anything, but the M35x just creates too much of a cocoon).
    - Cleaner, more spartan interior (I felt overwhelmed by the gadgetry and the large overwhelming center console of the M35x -- also hated the front console canted towards the top, that's a real problem for me).

You are all correct -- go with what you won't regret, and I clearly felt that if I got the M35x I would ALWAYS regret not getting the manual 5.

I am thrilled with my choice and there is no looking back!!! Yee haaa!

Shipo, thanks for the private email help along the way...
    Any time. ;-)

Keep us posted with observations about your car. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks Shipo. My first observation is: I can't wait to get it and get back to manual shifting soon enough!!
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    My 2001 525 wagon had been rated as having 65 cu ft of cargo volume with the seats folded down.

The 2006 model is rated at 58 cu ft. despite the larger overall dimensions.

What's up??
  • gull1gull1 Member Posts: 2
    Having trouble figuring out whether to get the RWD or the AWD for winter driving. I have been told, as long as you DO NOT get the sport package, the RWD will perform just fine, any comments? Have already made the decision to go with the 530 (more peppy than the 525 and won't ever get to enjoy the 545 anyway). Need some help, thanks.
    Hehe, I got the 530i WITH the Sport Package and I live in New Hampshire. True, the Summer Performance tires that come with the SP are completely worthless in the snow, however, they are FAR better for the remainder of the year. So, what did I do for the winter? Simple, I got a set of winter tires for it and away I went. Better traction in the winter than with the All-Season tires of the non-SP cars (and AWD cars too), and better performance for the rest of the year because of the better suspension and Summer (or better said, Three Season) tires.

My advice, get the 530i with the SP and get a set of winter tires, it is the absolute best of both worlds. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I wouldn't recommend the 530i for winter driving without winter tires... All-seasons aren't much help...

If you absolutely won't swap out tires, then get the 530xi..

But, you'll have a much more enjoyable car, if you get the 530i.. and put on winter tires.. Whether you get the sport package, or not..

Oh yeah... I recommend the sport package, as well...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's all a matter of personal preference. If everyone liked the same thing we'd only have vanilla ice cream. I suggest that you take each of them for a drive. It also depends on what kind of driver you are. I am an average driver, I like the car to have power for merging into traffic and for passing etc. I do not need a V8, I tend to have a lead foot and that would make it easier for me to get into trouble. I like control in inclement weather, including rain. I do not like the idea of having to change out wheels.
    I opted for the 530xi. Everyone I know that has had an AWD car says they would not drive anything else. I also like the softer ride of the non-sport pkg. version. I do not like the high performance tires with the sport pkg., plus you feel all the bumps and it's a stiffer ride. Again, different strokes for different folks, that's my 2 cents.
    Beaming, I am with you on this one -- not just on selecting the 530xi, but on your "different strokes for different folks" comment as well. I had a private email exchange with Shipo before I made my final decision and I totally agree with all of his points, but...for me the 530xi made more sense (my first BMW, life is too busy for tire changes, not an aggressive or demanding driver, others in the family will drive the car sometimes, etc.). However, I predict that my next BMW (I hope I will like this one enough to become a long-time BMW owner) will more likely be one like shipo and kydfx suggest -- once I get into the driving experience some more. No one is wrong or right -- just different tastes and needs at different points in time.
  • gull1gull1 Member Posts: 2
    How long have you had yours? Does the xi package help with snow and rain? Is it noticeable?
    Always wanted an MB, but am concerned about the quality not being as good as 10 years ago or before. Still believe in the German engineering so I drove the 525i, 530i and even the X5. Liked the X5, because of the potential winter weather driving. Fairly conservative driver, but the 525i didn't have the power that I wanted. The 545i was way to much power for domestic driving. Just trying to gather information to eliminate any second thoughts after the cash goes out the door. Thanks for any thoughts or information.
    This will be my first BMW as well. I am looking forward to the arrival of my car sometime next month. I am a former Mercedes owner and have always been very pleased, however they did not have a product that fit my needs/wants right now. The C is too small and the E wasn't sporty enough. Good luck with your new BMW. Do you have it yet? If not, when do you expect to have it?
    I don't have my 530xi yet -- expecting it in about 4-6 weeks. I bought mine after beaming got his -- and got the same deal he did ($2500 off MSRP) after being inspired by him to shop around!
  • rwengerrwenger Member Posts: 15
    A question: I like the shadow trim. That would be about the only reason I'd select the sport package on the 530xi touring model. The only other feature listed for the sport package is sport seats. Can anyone confirm that the 530xi with sport package has the same suspension as without? I don't want a firmer ride than the standard 530xi. I would also value opinions (experience) about whether the sport seats are significantly more firm or less comfortable than the standard seats.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
  • eglegl Member Posts: 5
    I have looked into this whole thing and to the best of my knowledge the sport package does NOT have a "sport" suspension. The only 2 items you get are the shadow line (I want that, too) and the sport seats. Unfortunately for me, I am seriously considering the "comfort" seats. That option costs $1200 extra whether you get the sport pkg (which already includes the more expensive sport seat) or not. So, I get no credit for the sport seat I am paying for in the sport pkg, and the way I figure it I would be paying the whole $700 sport pkg cost for just the shadow line. Bummer.

Shortly, I will be placing my order for a 530 xi sportwagon. I can't decide whether to get the wheel upgrade or not. I winter in warm climes, so I really don't need the all-season, snows, or AWD for that matter - just the wagon part!

I like the look of the 18" wheels, but wonder how the larger wheels, and performance tires will affect the ride. If the sport package had a sport suspension, it would be more clear to me. But, there is no sport suspension available on the xi cars.

Will the ride be much "harsher" since the suspension is the same? And, will the handling be noticeably better? OR, am I just getting the look.

I'd appreciate any thoughts (even guesses) any of you may have.
  • rwengerrwenger Member Posts: 15
    egl: Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply. What motivates your interest in the comfort seats? I really don't know much about them. Are they that much more comfortable than the standard seats or the sport seats? Do you know if the sport seats are relatively uncomfortable?

Concerning your thoughts about the wheel options: I have no first hand experience with this issue but I have read several places that run-flat tires can be harsh. For example, this has been a common theme even for the Lexus SC430 roadster. Quite a few complaints are in the Edmunds Forum about this under that thread.
This discussion has been closed.