Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio

Comments

• kiadealerhaterkiadealerhater Member Posts: 6
    Thanks backy. Here in the Dallas area, there are about 100 2006 Rio's, none w/ ABS.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Any of the 100 have the power package? Any Rio5s yet? Here, there have been about 10 sedans, but no options except automatic. Only two have had manual transmissions.
  • kiadealerhaterkiadealerhater Member Posts: 6
    I have not seen the Rio5. I have seen many w/ the power package.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I've been to two Kia dealers in the last few days just to look around. Most of the Rios I've seen have had the power package and they have ALL been automatics. Not one single 5-speed at either dealer. There were a couple of LXs without the power package, too.

I would have test driven if they'd had a manual, but the automatic doesn't interest me in the least. I was impressed with the overall look and the interior. I gave my info to a salesman at both dealers so they could call when they got a manual in. One checked his incoming cars on order and said they have a red one coming in in 1-2 weeks, but no power package.

BTW, none of these cars had ABS either. I wonder why they offer ABS but none of the cars on lots have it? To keep the price down perhaps?

I've been shopping in the Civic/Mazda3 realm, but a lower car payment would suit me just fine. I look forward to driving a 5-speed Rio and the Hyundai Accent as well.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You've hit on the reason I prefer ABS to be standard. It's too hard to find, especially on low-end Kias and Hyundais. That by itself would be a good reason to wait until the Accent with its standard ABS comes out.

On the lack of sticks, I wonder if they think automatics will sell better because the mpg rating is higher? Also there's more markup on those. ;)
    The higher MPG of the automatic certainly doesn't hurt. But the truth is very few cars are sold with manual transmission these days. Maybe 5% or so. Economy subcompacts are also the most likely to have manuals, but still they're few and far between.
  • kiario06kiario06 Member Posts: 8
    For some reason that link I typed doesnt work. It is the right one. You'll hafta type it into the address bar. Dont know why its doing that
    Sharp little car, especially for $12k. I saw one on the road today that was red, very nice looking. I want to take a look at the Rio5, but none of the dealers near me have any. They must be selling as soon as they get them.

Your link isn't working because there is a period at the end when you click it. Edit the message and take off the period and it will work.
    I wanted to look at the Rio5 too but the dealership i went to said they didnt even get any on the lot yet. Im in Phoenix AZ and i have to say i havent seen one 06 rio on the road yet besides mine. i really wanted to see what other colors they came out in.

thanks about the link. i thought i was going nuts lol
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    My dealer here in Houston has yet to recieved any Rio5's. From what I hear no one has. I went to buy one on August 9 and the had none. I was told the would have them in 2 weeks. They still don't them. I was told the waiting list was about 20 people. Since I couldn't wait, which wound up being a good thing. They had a 2004 Cinco with just 1,900 miles on it! Got it for 2 grand less than a Rio5. Yeah I know I missed out on a lot of updates, but I'm happy.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I have taken a look at the '06 Kia Rio and it was also a black one. Sharp looking car and although I only looked at it from the outside I can see that it's a cool car. Your pictures are nice and it looks like Kia has really made a great little car that the masses can afford.

Hence, there's a big part of the reason I like and respect Kia Motors so much.

Do you like the factory stereo in there? Do you have enough headroom and legroom?

For $12,000 and side curtains and side airbags standard that's a great deal. Don't forget about the Long Haul Warranty, either. Oh, it does work for you, too. Just keep up on your maintenance and you'll be fine. Congratulations!

I will keep the '06 Kia Rio 4-door sedan on my futures list and continue to follow the Kia success story as they move ahead. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

the black interiors and I think that black would be a natural for a black '06 Kia Rio sedan. I am amazed how cool a color black looks on this '06 Kia Rio sedan!

I have seriously added a 5-speed black '06 Kia Rio sedan, with A/C and competent factory stereo to my futures list. I wouldn't absolutely require power W/D/M's, either. I would need A/C and I wouldn't need ABS, unless all '06 Rio's get ABS standard.

I've added the black '06 Kia Rio sedan to my computer's background Windows page, eliminating the 2007 Toyota Yaris 4-door that had held that spot for several months.

The low Rio price (even if it ends up being $13,299 or so) before tax and license is also very attractive. I like the 2006 Hyundai Accent a lot, too, but I really like how Kia has prepared this '06 Rio for us. Very, very nice. :D

• goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Ah the joys of savoring a Kia Rio......
    Has anyone else realized the seeming overlap between the Rio and Spectra, at least as far as pricing goes. The '06 Rio LX with power package MSRP is $13,585 (TMV $13,441) and the '06 Spectra EX MSRP is $14,840 (TMV $14,006).

Just an observation.
    Yes, that's what this discussion is about. Have you driven one yet? Any plans to buy one in the near future? Just think, you could trade in your Accord on a new Rio and walk out of the dealer with some cash!
    There was some discussion awhile back here about the close pricing between the Rio and Spectra. The two are just a $500 rebate (on the Spectra) from having almost the same TMV. There will be the same issue with the Accent and Elantra, except the Elantra's prices start even lower than the Spectra's. IMO, Kia priced the Rio a tad high. But they do seem to be flying off the lots...
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Just think, you could trade in your Accord on a new Rio and walk out of the dealer with some cash

Tempting....but if the Sephia I once rented (they had nothing else avaiable and I was anxious to try it out) is any indication of what to expect in a Rio, I'll pass. Worst car I ever drove. Has tainted me against Kia. So what's changed since then?

Hopefully Hyundai will steer clear of em. They've got a chance against the Japanese.
    ... but if the Sephia I once rented (they had nothing else avaiable and I was anxious to try it out) is any indication of what to expect in a Rio, I'll pass.

It's far removed from the Sephia. LOTS has changed since then. For one thing, Kia shares some platforms with Hyundai, and the '06 Rio is based on the same platform as the '06 Accent. Why not take a new Rio or Rio5 for a drive before assuming it's a piece of junk? You might be pleasantly surprised.
    "but if the Sephia I once rented (they had nothing else available and I was anxious to try it out) is any indication of what to expect in a Rio, I'll pass".

OMG I couldn't believe what I just read! I get sick and tired of people basing their oponion of Kia on the Sephia!!The Sephia has not been made since 2001!! It VERY obvious you have NOT kept up with automotive news. The Rio...or any Kia for that matter...are LIGHT YEARS far from a Sephia!!!! You say "I'll pass" yeah go ahead and "pass" on a great car! I bought one for my mother in 2002 (Rio Cinco) it has 30,000 TROUBLE FREE miles. I have a 2004 (Rio Cinco) that has 3,600 miles and it's so far very good. My local Kia dealer is GREAT. In fact they called me to see if I'm happy and said don't hesitate to let us know. This a PHONE CALL from the OWNER of the dealer and NOT a 'form letter." When I take either car in for routine maintenece (which is the ONLY reason) it not only comes back clean, put they washed, waxed and cleaned the interior. So don't knock Kia!
    You may want to watch which messages you reply to. I wasn't the one with the comments on the Sephia.
    Whoops sorry about that!
    Yeah, it's a bit like judging current Hyundai models on the first generation Excel.

The Korean carmakers, except Daewoo, have made great strides in quality, design and performance in a short amount of time. They've gone from bottom of the barrel barely twenty years ago to being competitive with domestic and most Japanese cars while still offering a greater value than just about anything on the market.

I have tremendous respect for these guys.
    who only buy Japanese cars. It's all part of the whole Asian car buying experience. Why would someone love Kia Motors so much? Good question!

Here's one reason. I went in for a low-cost, foreign-built Japanese alternative and I left the Kia lot with a well-built 1999 Kia Sephia 4-door sedan for a grand total of $7995 after a $2,000 manufacturer rebate. Yikes! The car was great, too.

Why would someone spend so much time talking about his car for years if there wasn't some truth to it? I know, that's not enough. Talk is cheap, you say. Well, I invite you to go test drive one. The thing is I loved my '99 Kia Sephia and it was one of the cars Kia built while they were in their so-called "weak-building" years. I don't think they were "weak-building" years. I got myself a great car for $7995. No A/C and no automatic windows and mirrors. But a more than competent little car that looked light years better than the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic. Ahh...you mean, it's actually important what a car looks like?

Ya better believe it's important what a car looks like. I compared the skin design integrity of the '99 Kia Sephia I bought to the same on a Civic or Corolla and there was no comparison. End of search. Kia won without a fight. Smart, educated car-builders who did it right.

BTW-there is no scientific research available on the Internet or even your local bookstore (or even your favorite local newspaper)that can substantiate any way that Kia Motors was improved by Hyundai Motors. Sure, they share some architecture now. Stop, for a second. I bought my '99 Sephia and it ran great. Perfect? Nope. Was the HYundai Elantra of 1999 perfect? Nope.

Now, it is true that Kia had some serious financial difficulties in 1998 and it was cool that big bro Hyundai came to their rescue. But, then again, it could have been Ford, or Chrysler. Who can put anything together and publish it that details exactly what Hyundai has done that improved Kia so much? Technical, car building details, men. Not rhetoric.

Ya ain't gonna find too much in them that hills. These guys are good and they know exactly what they're doing. Don't get me wrong, I like Hyundai a lot. The Hyundai Tiburon is the finest looking car made by any car manufacturer anywhere on earth. It absolutely rocks like the Guess Who and Foghat. So I'm not being antagonistic here. ASMOF it would only enlighten us all if anyone can come up with anything more than simple platform sharing.

All in all there's no stoppping either Kia or Hyundai now. I knew back in 1998 that Kia would not sink like the Titianic. Too much talent and too much brawn and too much fine automobile to just shoo into the Nevada desert or the Ozark Mountains.

Sit back, crack open a flavored, diet soda and watch the domestic makers flail and these two S.Korean automakers surge. After a brief look at Scion I am back in the Saddle again and into an extended jam with Kia. Rock on! :)

This is probably a little far back but i havent been able to get on. The factory sterio is okay, along with the speakers. I can actually turn the volume up without that horrible "cheap speakers" sound. its great for stock, but im hoping to switch it out for a kenwood pretty soon.

When i owned my 04 kia rio, my husband could not stretch his leg all the way out causing him to ride the clutch alot without meaning to. (hes 6'2) With this 06, (which was one of the reasons i really bought it) he can actually stretch his legs out. Not all the way still, but alot more and he has more room to move around. It seems like they're making the rios more of a family sedan than just an A-B car. which is great. As for the headroom i never really noticed having a problem with that in the 04 or 06.

I mean, nowadays with the prices of cars, im really satisfied with the 06. specially since i only paid 12,000 for it. im sure if i would have went to buy a honda civic(which i have nothing against)with the same features, it probably would have been alot more. :shades:

As for the airbags, they also have a safety feature for children (or in my case my dog). If someone is sitting in the passenger seat under 70 lbs,a light comes up above the radio indicating that the passanger airbag is off. This is for if a child is sitting in the front, which they shouldnt be anyways, the airbag does not go off to cause further damage in case of an accident. :sick:
    Yeah, I have a Kenwood stereo in my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 and it's great.

The '06 Kia Rio sounds great and when I go to shop for a car that may be the one I get. The black color looks good on the new Rio.

The back seat is for our dogs so it looks like they'll get plenty of room plus they'll be able to look out the rear Rio windows just fine.

Keep us up-to-date on any new happenings with your '06 Kia Rio sedan, OK? I really like the new Rio look. Kia has it nailed down well on the styling. I love that high beltline in the rear-it really has the European look to it. These Rio's are selling like hotcakes in Europe for Kia and so are the new Kia Picanto's, their new microcar.

We'd have to decide on the larger Sportage or the smaller Rio but the better gas mileage of the Rio has me interested. :D

My local (Houston, TX) Kia dealer FINALLY got a 2006 Rio5 in. It's just one one (red). Now I know it's for real! :)
    I can't wait for one to turn up here. They look fantastic in the photos I've seen. Maybe it'll be the great alternative (for the money) to the Mazda3 hatchback that I'm hoping for.
    Nice. I had to go back to my dealership yesterday and they still dont have them. So how are they? Ive heard all this talk about them but no ones actually seen them. Did u happen to test drive one?
    dealer just got a 2006 Kia Rio5, too, also in the orange-ish red color. It looks great. The car stands out and looks really sharp in comparison to the Kia Spectra5 that they park right by the Rio5.

The Rio5 I saw is a 5-speed manual and it is loaded, the sticker says around $14,195. It has the 5-spoke alloys and that swoosh at the rear end of the Rio5 on both sides( taillights)looks really impressive. The Rio5 is fully loaded with airbag protection, too. I'll be checking their lot often for updates.

Courtesy of Kia Motors America

I like the Midnight Black version of the '06 Kia Rio sedan, although I prefer the Kia factory 5-spoke alloy wheels that are offered. Getting the alloys at deal time wouldn't be totally necessary, though. Wheels can always be switched out later.

Thats the exact car that i purchased couple of weeks ago. i had my site up for people to see the color. here it is if u missed it. this time ill remember not to put a period at the end lol. http://lowrider.cardomain.com/id/devilslayer05

Interior was an adjustment cuz its really light. But i still like it. I saw the darker interior and didnt like it at all.
    do you find that you have enough room up front when another adult is sitting in the passenger seat next to you? My wife and I have a decent amount of room up front in our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. I like this new '06 Kia Rio sedan and '06 Kia Rio5 both but am concerned up front about the amount of shoulder room available in them.

pictures again, kiario06. Very nice car, I officially would like to have one! :D

I would take the dark interior, but would look at a lighter color interior along with the dark and then make my decision which one I like best.

Me and my husband drive together all the time and i find it a good amount of shoulder room. Ive never found it quishy between us and hes a pretty big guy. Although in the 04 we had, sometimes when he shifted, sometimes he would bump into me but now we dont have that problem. They certainly made it more roomier than the older models.
    my local Kia dealer has an '06 Kia Rio sedan like yours, only it's an automatic. They also have an '06 Kia Rio5 hatchback in stock, and it has the 5-speed manual. It's selling for $14,195 and has power everything. They got the black '06 Rio sedan like yours in first, about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The '06 Kia Rio5 hatchback/wagon they just got in about a week and a half ago. The Rio5 is Tropical Red, it sort of looks like the San Francisco 49'er red, if you know what that looks like. I like it a lot.

So, I have my eye on the Rio5 in Tropical Red. The only option it has is carpeted mats. It has a spoiler on back, and a windshield wiper in back as well.

Your input on the shoulder room has left me with warm and fuzzy feelings about it. Our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 is fine but I would like the 32-35 mpg for mini-trips exploring our new home, Idaho. I may talk to the dealer soon. What's cool is that they're only about 1 1/2 miles from our home. Robert Allen Kia also sells Mercedes-Benz along with Kia's here in Pocatello, Idaho. What a combination, huh! :D

• carlovermdacarlovermda Member Posts: 6
    BTW-there is no scientific research available on the Internet or even your local bookstore (or even your favorite local newspaper)that can substantiate any way that Kia Motors was improved by Hyundai Motors.

Now although this message comes from some time ago, keep in mind that the Sephia was built atop a modified Mazda 323 and 626 platform. I used to own one and was not a bad car, but recently had it totalled and purchased a 2006 Rio. The car although with a smaller, supposedly less powerful engine than the 124hp in the Sephia is a WORLD away in the architecture. I miss the Sephia in that I only had 2 pymts left but do not at all because of the driving experience of the Rio. Little vibration at high speeds (85-100mph) which I normally do in anything I drive and excellent acceleration.
    I'm thinking the same thing. The new 2006 Kia Rio sedan and Rio5 both look really good. A lot of car for the money and great performance and fuel economy.

It seems to be uncomplimentary mainly for the Rio5. Healey is more positive on the LX sedan. First, the Rio5 is not aimed at buyers like him--so I'm not surprised he didn't like it. The Rio5 got a much more positive review the other day in the LA Times, by someone who appreciated its European flavor. But I agree with Healey's point that the Rio is pricey when fully equipped. I think that will prove to be the car's Achilles' heel--one that can be remedied by a dollup of rebates, of course. It will really be interesting to see how Hyundai prices the Accent GLS with its greater standard equipment and, IMO, nicer interior.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Healey hits the nail on the head when he talks about a nicely optioned Rio5 being pricey and in the territory of several other decent cars from other makers.

As I said several weeks ago, if the price (sans dest and tax) of the Rio5 WITH the power pack is somewhere from between $11-12k, then KIA's in the game. But if they try to get $14k+ for them, all of a sudden the competition pool gets ALOT deeper.

With the consistent reports of driveline harshness by the media, I'm also beginning to wonder if that might also be a deal breaker for some.

I wish KIA would also consider putting some Goodyear's on the RIOs too.... just like my Spectra. I've been *very* happy with the performance of my Goodyear Eagle LS's so far after 16k miles.

It seems like availability of Rios in the midwest has been a problem. My dealer (which is an exclusive KIA dealer) has had probably about 5 Rio sedans and 1 Rio5 in total cross their lot so far. It looks like they're not having any trouble selling the ones they've gotten so far, but that's a pretty pathetic amount of product they've received so far. I haven't visitied any other KIA dealers (they're too far away) to see if it's a dealer-specific condition or not. But I know my dealer must be just about ready to scream, since they sold out of their old Rio stock several weeks ago.

I'll be interested to see what the TMV values of Rios at dealerships are once their lots become fully stocked with several dozen units at any given time.

-SM
    Pricet or not the Rio is a great car. I have a 2004 Rio Cinco. I was a bit disappointed that Kia went from station wagon to the hatchback on the Rio5. That fact kept me from trading my 2004 for a Rio5.
    How does the actual cargo volume of the Cinco compare to the Rio5?

I'm really not sure what reviewers are talking about with the comments on "driveline harshness". I thought the Rio LX I drove, an automatic, was very smooth and quiet on the highway up to at least 70 mph and the autoshifter was unnoticeable in its operation. Maybe the 5-speed revs higher on the highway, hence more noise. The little engine does have a grunt when pushed, but c'mon, it's a low-end car with a small engine. If you want total isolation from all engine noise, go buy a Lexus.
    Interesting difference IMO.

2004 Rio Cinco:
    Luggage Capacity: 24.8 cu. ft. (I'm assuming rear seat up) Maximum Cargo Capacity: 44 cu. ft.

2006 Rio5:
    Luggage Capacity: 15.8 cu. ft. (I'm assuming rear seat up)Maximum Cargo Capacity: 50 cu. ft.
    built to have a lot of cargo space in back. It's built for a sporty feel, to toss into turns. The Healey review does not dampen my enthusiasm for the car at all. He doesn't like Kia and his bias is so strong it causes him to nitpick.

I am on my 2nd Kia and both have had a bit of a buzzy sound on acceleration, but you can push Kia's and they respond.

The only way I'm gonna find out how this car drives is to go test drive it. Healey's review just leaves me with a funky feeling inside that he just views Kia Motors as a bug on his Lexus' windshield. I would not take a car reviewer's word on any car that I was really interested in. I remain very interested in both the Rio5 and the Rio 4-door sedan by Kia for 2006. The Rio will be safe to drive, too, with all of those airbags. No power steering on the base models to save money. I don't think you'd need it in a car this small, anyway. My '99 Kia Sephia didn't have power steering and it didn't bother the enjoyment of driving the car at all.

The European styling of the '06 Kia Rio's has grown on me and I am just starting to prefer the Rio5 styling by just a tad over the sedan but it's not decided yet at all which one I'd go with. Meanwhile, the Sportage 4x4 heads into a southeastern Idaho winter which is supposed to turn snowy this weekend. Running like an absolute champ.

I am on my second Rio Cinco. My first was a 2002 and now my 2004. I like the 2004 better I couldn't believe how much improvment 2 years made. You are right about the buzzy sound but mine will respond also. IMO the 2006 will carry on that tradition.
    and well-made that reviewers actually have to nitpick to find any way to differentiate between cars. I will give them that and just go find something else to read until I find something that I can actually learn from.

Who really goes by what a car writer says in relation to what they actually decide to buy? Not me.

I think Kia will sell shipload after shipload of these 2006 Rio sedans/Rio5's in Europe. They are selling shiploads of their new minicar Picanto in Europe as well.

Contemplate that for a second or two...Kia doesn't really need your buying dollar here in America. They'll get it anyway but they are selling strongly worldwide so what pithy American reviewers say about their cars really doesn't mean too much. All of the other reviews I've read on the 2006 Kia Rio's has been positive.

I was wasting time in a bookstore yesterday and picked up a copy of mph magazine. The magazine is usually a joke, written by potty-mouthed teenagers, it seems. The interesting thing was a comparison test of the Kia Rio, new Hyundai Accent and Scion xA.

It seemed unfair from the beginning because the Rio and Accent were automatics and the Scion was a 5-speed manual. Surprise, the Scion was faster!

The Kia and Hyundai both did 0-60 in 11.8 seconds, which I think is kinda slow for a modern econocar. Perhaps most potential buyers won't be bothered by that. The manual version should be more around the 10 second mark which is passable.

The review wasn't flattering, but wasn't altogether horrible either. They decided the Scion was the winner, but made at least a few positive remarks about the other two.

I look forward to a comparison by a professional car magazine that doesn't require one to take a bong hit before reading.
    A comparison of the latest small cars--Rio, Accent, Fit, Yaris, and Versa--would make a great article.

You may have seen the short review of the Rio/Rio5 in C/D's December issue. They were quite positive, noting the tasteful and comfortable interior, the muscular exterior, and the engine that is smoother and pulls strongly and willingly to redline. They didn't like the automatic much, which is interesting because I thought it worked very well on my test drive. Maybe they took steeper hills than I did.
    that's interesting about the Car and Driver review of the '06 Kia Rio sedan and '06 Kia Rio5. Pretty complimentary it sounds like. A muscular exterior...that sounds like a decent description of the '06 Rio's body style. The interior is tasteful and the engine pulls eagerly to redline.

Sounds like they liked the new Rio! I'm gonna have to get the December Car and Driver and read the review.

It's a really short review, a first-take really--save your money and take a quick look at the library. Maybe they'll do a full test sometime.