Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio

Comments

• b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    how far up it goes once the engine control module gets things settled in. I've read in a lot of places that Hyundai engines take some time to break in and tune themselves. Do drive gently and vary the speed a lot during the first 600-1000 miles, this is true for any new engine.

Are you noticing a general uptrend yet riomike?

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    be sure to fill us in over on the Optima board about your new baby! Congratulations! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• dusterdudedusterdude Member Posts: 1
    would someone please tell me how to post a new message.thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Scroll to the bottom of this screen. There should be a place to enter the title for your post and the text of the post. Then press the button "Post My Message."
  • hickenbhickenb Member Posts: 3
    Have a Spectra ex 8 months old with air automatic and cruise
    has 8000 miles. Would like to trade for 3000 plus T.T.L. Is this reasonable????Let me know what you think. I am a retired new car dealer and like anew car every 6 months or so.
    Unfortunately, $3000 sounds about right. Edmunds' TMV trade-in value for a Spectra like that in outstanding condition is about $10k. The invoice on a Rio LX with automatic and power package is about $13.7k, and there is a $500 loyalty rebate now. However, the TMV retail price on the Spectra is about $12,350. If your car is really a cream puff and should sell easily, you should try to negotiate a higher trade-in value since $2400 profit is a lot on a used car.

IMO the Rio is a lesser car to the Spectra, but it's your money.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    IMO the Rio is a lesser car to the Spectra, but it's your money.

Of course the Rio is a lesser car than the Spectra, it's the lowest end of the line up! I get sick and tired of hear people trying to compare it to the Spectra! It's not meant to be like the Spectra.
    So would you pay someone over $3000 for the privilege of driving a '06 Rio instead of a nearly-new '05 Spectra?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I'm with you. Trading even would be tough. $3000 more; forget it.
  • riomikeriomike Member Posts: 39
    3K is a lot of money but I will say that I am enjoying my 2006 Rio5 (which my wife has taken over as of late) almost as much as my new 2006.5 Optima. I would suggest that you wait a month or two, I think Kia will eventually have to come out with a cash back offer on the new Rio. Maybe with the owner loyalty and anothey 500+ it might be worth your while!
    Of course not!! I didn't mean that. I was just commenting that the Rio is a lesser car. There have been many comments in the past like some people don't know that.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Kia just announced they are building a $1.2 billion facility near West Point, GA. West Point is about 60 miles south of Atlanta on the Alabama line. It is about half way between Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta and Hyundai's manufacturing facility near Montgomery, AL. They will have 2 assembly lines and an engine assembly line. The plan calls for it to begin production in 2009.

Looks like Kia plans on aggressive gowth over the next few years. That is good for everyone.
    glad to see Hyundai-Kia investing more and more into US automaking infrastructure. With the new plant will come at least six supplier plants as well, that will create around 2000 jobs. Hyundai-Kia big boss Mong-Koo Chung is a man with a plan. Ford or GM should hire him as an independent consultant...he's a pretty brilliant guy. Anyone who fires bean counters and replaces them with engineers is an A-OK guy in my book. :shades:

Their products just keep getting better and better, and I wish them the best of success with their new US venture. Big 3, watch and learn.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    First thing necessary is to sign in. Welcome
    Going to the DMV to fetch the title for my ZX2, and head over to the Kia place and negotiate a Rio5 deal. I bet the dealership is slow today, it's snowing in Madison. Still trying to make up my mind between the black and the sapphire blue...the black's sharp but that blue is pretty.

Drove one again yesterday, had a chance to take it on the highway. Pretty darn smooth little car, especially for its class. It's a comfy fit too, I think I'll be happy with the little car. :)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    I love my Rio5 (white) so much that when I bought the 2006.5 Optima LX last week and gave the Rio5 to my wife I was so jealous. I know it sounds nuts but I missed my Rio and couldnt fully enjoy the Optima. So I signed the Optima over to my in-laws last night and went out and bought another Rio5. This one is in Saphire Blue and you are right, that's one sweet color. Maybe I am obsessed with Rio5 and my pals think I am nuts for giving away the Optima (BTW they are taking over the payments they dont get it for free!).

You are also right that its comfy because as I mentioned before, I am 6'3 and have more than ample space in Rio5. Anyway the Optima was getting poor gas mileage and I dont like the feel of a heavy car. My in-laws like heavy cars becasue until it died last week they were driving a 1986 Cutlass Supreme. Compared to optima (which was very comfy as well) Rio5 is light and peppy and a pleasure to drive. No wonder it won a couple of most improved car awards for 2006.

Good luck Todd!!
    Looking out my window at it now. Just have to do some final paper signing when my wife gets off work, and my plates will go on it and it'll be mine and the bank's! :D So far I'm enjoying the car...driving it to Michigan tomorrow. Gonna have to vary my speed a lot for break-in, but between Madison and Chicago you'll vary the speed enough for anything. :P Just wish it wasn't snowing...OTOH it's not nearly as bad as the weatherman was claiming, so I can't complain too much. Darn good little car, and I'm glad I went Sapphire Blue. :)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    Enjoy your Rio5, b3nut. I think you made a great choice.

We're holding onto our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4, it is just too handy to get rid of with eastern Idaho's snowy winters. It will work out great if we go off-road a tad in the spring and summer, too.

But I have kept the '06 Rio's and the '06 Scion xA on my potential futures list and will enjoy reading and learning aobut them as time goes on.

Do publish your driving experiences in here, b3nut, OK?
    Excellent choice. BTW-the 2006 Kia Rio5 is one of Motor Trend's top 28 cars of 2006. It out-braked the Mitsu Eclipse and out-slalomed the 2006 Audi 3, IIRC! ;)

I still may be heading the Rio5 direction later on!

• tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I spotted the weirdest thing today.Someone had put a FORD
    blue oval emblem over the KIA emblem on their sportage.
    It will probably cause the Sportage to be (Found on road dead).
    Good grief! You might want to post the name of that dealer as a heads-up! I bet the higher-ups at Kia would not be amused to hear of this cupcake. Sorry you had to deal with such a wretched dealer to get your Rio5.

I just completed a quick road trip in mine, I had to drive to Michigan (from WI) over the weekend. Got plenty of break-in speed variations thanks to the always-erratic traffic, especially in Chicago. :D Even during break-in my highway mpg is over 30 so far. Let's see, first four fillups, roughly: 27.5, 33.2, 23.5 (city & stop'n'go), 30.4 (highway on the way back, with a bout of bad gridlock). Highway crusing varied between 55 and 80mph, and gravitated toward the upper end of that scale rather often. ;) So far so good, I think...very pleasant car to take trips in. Had 6 miles on it when I pointed at it on the lot to indicate that I wanted it Thursday, and it's got around 800 miles on it today. :D I love driving it...it's a hoot! My dealer said Kia is working on an accessory cruise control and it should be out soon. That's a good thing, since this car LOVES to motor along at 80 like it's nothing...I don't want to see blue and red lights flashing through the back window... :surprise:

Todd in Beerbratistan
    Hey Todd, any news on when that cruise control will be available? Also wondering if they may come out with a steering wheel radio control accessory, I would like that even more then cruise because I get so distracted by my chanel surfing and that accessory would make my life a lot easier!
    I'll post here as soon as I hear something from my dealer. I'm going to be doing all my maintenance there, so I'll be there fairly regularly (I do oil at 3K). In fact, I'll be over there this afternoon to do an oil change, I like to get my factory oil out at around 700-1000 miles, then go on a regular schedule at 3K. If on the off chance any residues or whatever are in the engine, this gets 'em out after a good run-in. A bit anal, but I think it'll help...last new cars I bought I did that to.

I do know the Rio in some countries has steering-wheel controls for the radio and for a phone, not sure if the wiring is present in the US-market Rios to make it feasible to add the switch pods after the fact. It would be fun to be able to "pimp" our US Rios with some of the Asian/European market goodies! :D

Todd in Beerbratistan
    yeah, the 2006 Scion xA's have the audio controls on the steering wheeel...I kept pressing the wrong button to accompish what I wanted, though! :P

I would eventually get used to it, but, you know, audio controls on the wheels are only a so-so item to me.

It sounds like your new 2006 Kia Rio's are just fantastic little cruisers! I continue to be amazed at the intelligent design of my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4. I have yet to blow a light bulb out yet, anywhere on the rig! I replaced the OEM Hankook SUV tires at 102,000 miles, and safety was really not an issue at tire-swap-out time!

I did have my alternator go out at the 88,000-mile mark while driving to hospital clinical training in Missouri in late 2004. Including towing a local mechanic fixed me up for about $330. Kind of high and it was a stranding breakdown, but hey, what does anyone expect from a rig?

This Sportage 4x4 handles the snow like it was built for the snow. Kia and Hyundai, I believe, have fully caught Toyota in quality and Kia and Hyundai resale values should now hold steady. Much like Matt Hasselback and the Seattle Seahawks will hold up in the 2006 season. Solid and strong and swift and sure. Now if the NFL will control the gambling aspect of the game (the Steelers were allowed to rob the Seahawks of the crown because of the nasty, awful pathetic bought-off refereeing). I've never, ever seen such one-sided calls in all my NFL viewing years. And I have watched all the Steeler's great teams, the Vikings of old, etc. Seattle was robbed of the Super Bowl title on February 5, 2006.

It's not so easy to rob a car maker of their right to be deemed the best. Watch Kia and Hyundai soar like falcons. Don't think Atlanta Falcons here, either! :P

• yeddoyeddo Member Posts: 20
    Todd....good idea. The dealer was Evergreen Kia in Evergreen Park, IL.

I DID call Kia corporate in California and they told me that since their dealerships are individually owned, there wasn't alot they could do about it. I've already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the States Attorney. In the meantime, I'm putting miles on the car.
    I DID call Kia corporate in California and they told me that since their dealerships are individually owned

Aren't ALL dealerships individually owned, but still have to answer to the manufacter the represent.
    ..that's what I thought. The gentleman I spoke to did say they were going to call the dealership and the district manager but over a week has gone by with no response from anyone affiliated with Kia. It seems to me that good business ethics would dictate that the customer should at least be kept in the loop to know what is going on. Guess not!
    That makes me a little nervous. I have 2 Rio Cincos (2002 and 2004). Although they have been trouble free, it makes me feel uneasy the manufacture doesn't stand by their product let alone thier dealers.
    I just think this dealer thought I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it cause I liked the car so much, it was the end of the day, I had to get to work, etc., etc.. My thought is: if they did that to me, what are they doing to other people? Like I said, whatever recourse I want is out of principle and I hope Kia corporate realizes how much bad publicity they're getting from this.
    are often able to get away with crap and the manufacturer can't do a whole lot other than possibly pulling their dealership contract if a dealer gets completely out of hand.

Do keep calling them, though. And continue to file complaints against the dealer. I hate seeing a great up-and-coming carmaker saddled with bad dealers. I sure like my local dealer in Madison (Russ Darrow). Keep us posted on how you fare with it. Down with Evergreen! Boooo!

Todd in Beerbratistan
    The sad part is I don't want to judge the car by the dealer....but......

thanks for your support!!
    I sure like my local dealer in Madison (Russ Darrow).

My local dealer here in Houston...Performance Kia...is great also. Everytime I get service (which is not very often) they wash and do a light detailing of the interior!
    ..oh yeah sure....rub it in. :P

Seriously though...that's good to hear. It's nice to know that there are dealers with integrity out there.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    In 2000 I bought a new car and the choice was between the Toyota ECHO and the Kia Rio. The ECHO won because it had a better interior design and I felt the build quality of the Rio was not up to snuff. Having said that it was $3000 less bottom line and I cant ignore that.
    I saw the new Rio at a light the other day. It looked different. So today I went down to the dealer to have a closer look. First the positive. The car is definately better than before. Progress has definately been made. Is it up to Toyota standards? No but its in the ballpark. I would go further than that. The Rio 5 is much more what I want in terms of utility than anything offered by Toyota. It looked better to me in that respect than the new Yaris. Definately.
    Now for the downside. This car is MORE than the Yaris. Granted Toyota has a nasty habit of making you buy a car with more options than you want. That was a downside when I bought the ECHO and I have never forgotten it. I didnt actually BUY the Yaris so I cant say I know the bottom line for certain. But the cars are basically the same price. The $3000 price advantage is GONE for the Kia. Hmm.
    I read the "superior" Kia warranty and found it not to be so superior. The "ten year/100,000" warranty has some gotchas in it. It is not transferable. Not good. It is also a LIMITED powertrain only warranty. That word LIMITED means a lot and it only covers the powertrain, something I would not expect to fail in ten years in any case. So buying this car for the warranty is NOT a selling point.
    I was disappointed to see the mileage, in spite of the new VVT engine, is not as good as the Yaris. It also is larger at 1.6 liters to the Yaris' 1.5. In addition to that, the car weights more at 2450 pounds. Manufacturers have a nasty habit of making cars heavier and heavier and with bigger and bigger engines. Just look at the Civic! (and I would be buying a Civic for sure if it was like the 1989 version) Thats not a trend I approve of.
    So if I were in the market for a new car, would I buy the Rio? Probably not. While I like the body style better than the Yaris (and thats not a little point) the car costs more. And I dont believe the quality of the Rio is as good as the Yaris. Its not something I would take a chance on. Well....maybe I would. Its a much closer call this time. Much closer. Toyota definately has better competition for my money now. They better take note if they want my dollar next time.
    the hatchback is only available as a 3-door. The 5-door Yaris is kept away from American buyers, most likely to avoid cannibalizing sales from Toyota's Scion xA hatch. I wanted a 5-door hatch, and my wife hated the look of the xA, so the Rio5 got the nod. I don't think she'd have liked the Yaris or Fit either, for that matter, but it became moot since I needed to replace my ZX2 pronto week before last and the Yaris and Fit still aren't on the lot yet. The Yaris is a fine automobile, but whoever at Toyota started off on that center-mounted-speedometer silliness needs to be publicly flogged...they're infecting Nissan and Saturn with that aesthetic virus! :D In all seriousness, that is a turn-off, even though I would have put up with it for the overall cool-factor (I thought) of the xA.

Yes, the 10/100,000 warranty is powertrain-only, but the Kia also has a 5/60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty as well, plus 5/60,000 24-hour roadside assistance. Yes, they'll deny a claim if the maintenance schedule is not followed properly. So will Toyota, as some Scion owners have discovered. I'm maintaining my Rio5 by the book, severe service schedule (3K oil changes, which I believe in anyway) at my dealer.

I do find it curious that small cars are getting heavier and more powerful...it now takes a hybrid to nail the MPG that the old Civic hatches and CRX HF's used to get in the late 80's and early 90's! :surprise:

Todd in Beerbratistan
    Friend of mine has a Yaris in Bristol, England. He likes the overall look but hates two things: he claims the car is sluggish, even more sluggish than his wifes 2000 Hyundai Accent, and he hates having the speedometer in the center. Well I told him to go for a Rio5 so he can't blame me!
    Yes, they'll deny a claim if the maintenance schedule is not followed properly

Really? I have a 2002 Rio Cinco and have NEVER been denied. My dealership never inquired about the maintenace schedule.
    who haven't traded in yet. I may not for many months so following how the 2006 Kia Rio's are doing performance-wise is going to be most enlightening. I still think after reading about the new small cars that Kia has stepped up to the plate with these new Rio's.

Heavy doesn't bother me. In fact, heavy can help in collisions. I have read proof of that in accounts on the net of accidents in which the Kia drivers fared well. Now, I know, accidents have all kinds of variables to them, so one must use their discretion with comments like this, but I happen to think there's something to them. One that comes to mind happened on a Chicago expressway in 2002. A lady in a Kia Optima was sandwiched between two semi's and lived to tell about it! The top of her Optima was sheered off completely by one of the truck's trailers! She ducked decisively, yes.

Mileage is a concern in looking at the new Rio's, though. I think that it should be above 30mpg somewhere, averaged out. I get around 20 city, 24 highway in my Sportage 4x4 so getting into a new Rio would need to yield a gas savings to be a viable choice.

As for the new Yaris, I like them and I'm actually researching the 4-door Yaris sedan a bit. Configured how I like it comes to $14,675, a reasonable price I think and I have even convinced myself that it looks differently enough than a new world order Corolla to warrant a closer look. But hearing sluggish tales is not good. One thing I would consider there is that sometimes automatic tranny's mull down the performance of the small engines. I will be getting a stick no matter what I trade for and whenever I trade in, that is a must.

Keep the owner reports flowing in riomike and Wisconsin cheese. :D

Oh, and the Long Haul is a great Warranty. I have never been denied a claim and most all have been for retrofits, TSB's and things that the service crew all know about and are proficient in. In both my '99 Sephia and my '01 Sportage all warranty items were done by the 20,000-mile mark and they all were handled quickly and done right the first time. Check engine light concerns seem to be an industry-wide concern and are irritating to a lot of folks but are not common only to Kia or Hyundai. They cross all brands.

In latest Car & Driver out of 7 hatchbacks/subcompacts under 15K that were tested Rio5 came in third place!
    #7 Suzuki reno
    #6 Dodge Caliber
    #5 Hyundai Accent
    #4 Toyota Yaris
    #3 Kia Rio5 (#1 in my book!)
    #2 Nissan Versa
    #1 Honda Fit

This just confirms that Kia is on the verge of world dominance! Proves that I am not mentally ill for suggesting to everybody I know that Rio5 is the best darn little car ever!

BTW average MPG for last two weeks (1100 miles), 28.6
    Thats with 2/3 highway driving and AC on at all times. Not too shabby!
    Should be a good read. I think the Rio5 is better looking than the Versa, and the Fit for that matter. The Fit will lead the class in refinement, the Rio5 has a nice smooth engine but Honda has always made supremely silky powerplants. But at least Kia had the good sense to provide a coolant temp guage, something neither the Versa nor the Fit have. How are you going to know if your thermostat is going south (which after 100K at some point they all will) until you're overheating enough for the idiot light to come on? And the Kia's double-DIN dash opening can't be beat. The stock head unit is OK for now, but there's a Pioneer double-DIN deck I want to get eventually, plays CD's, MP3/WMA/AAC CD's, and has a cassette deck, too. :)

I did have an issue with my Rio5, it would run rough if the engine got wet driving in rain. Took it in, they found a cracked coil so they replaced the coil pack and spark plugs. Now she's all good. They jumped right on it and got me taken care of. I chalked it up to a supplier fluke...having worked in an automotive supplier I've seen oopses reach the customer...we had a switch come back from an end-user's Toyota once, boy did that ever cause some lectures!

Aside from a minor flukey niggle my Rio5's been superb, I'm really liking it.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • twojstwojs Member Posts: 1
    Need some advice. My 2004 Kia Rio died in an accident last month. I had 36,000 miles on it, and not a worry. Now, do I go for a new Rio, or does anyone have anything to say about the Spectra. I can get a NEW Rio and a slightly used Spectra for the same price... can't make up my mind!!! Any suggestions?
    1. If you plan on keeping the car more than 5 years or 60k miles, the Rio would have a longer warranty (powertrain) than the Spectra. Especially important if the car has an auto tranny.

2. If you regularly haul people bigger than small kids in back, the Spectra has much more rear seat room.

3. The Spectra is smoother and quieter, if that is important to you. The Rio will give you a bit better fuel economy.

4. The Spectra has cruise (available), the Rio does not. May be important if you drive on the highway a lot.
    The Spectra has cruise (available), the Rio does not.

I am not trying to be petty here. But there is a good aftermarket cruise for the Rio available. I have it and it works well. However, I believe the 2006 Rio has it as an option now. I never understood why Kia never offered it until 2006. If your 2004 gave such good service why are you not considering replacing it with a NEW Rio. I would think new would be better than used.
    Well, I guess to make it absolutely crystal clear to everyone I should have said that "cruise is not available on the Rio as a factory option". I thought that was understood, however. Shoot, you can't get a Monsoon audio system from the factory on a Rio either, but I'm sure you can find some stereo shop that will install one for you. And leather seats. And 17" wheels. And a moonroof. And lots of other things.

I can't find any mention of cruise being an option on the 2006 Rio. If you find information to the contrary, I know you will tell us.

I agree that for the same price, new is better than used--for the same model of car.
    but my dealer tells me it's in the works, since people apparently are pestering Kia for it. I too find it curious that it wasn't offered to begin with, and not just the Rios, but the base Fit, xA, xB, etc. The existing aftermarket cruise doesn't get along with the '06 Rio's computer, so a different solution is being cooked up, according to my dealer.

Todd in Beerbratistan
    I recently priced out a Versa with cruise, ABS, side bags/curtains, A/C, power package, 6-speed tranny, and CD stereo for $13,805. Kia should add that cruise pretty quick. Maybe they will do what Hyundai is doing with the Accent and introduce the 2007 Rio early, with some tweaked options. :)
    Don't think cruise is an option yet on the '06 but my dealer tells me it's in the works, since people apparently are pestering Kia for it.

Yes and I was one of those people! :) I did it when I bought my 2002 Rio Cinco and again in 2004 Rio Cinco.
    Sorry :blush: , I stand corrected. I don't know where I thought I saw that!
    My grandfathers '06 Spectra stalled on him a few times last week. It's 1.5 months old with 2000 miles. He brought it in to the dealer, they gave him a loaner and after 24 hours of testing told him there is a valve problem. They fixed it but two days later he had the same problem. This time he brought it to the dealer and said he does not feel safe in the Spectra, he was cruising on I-95 at 70 MPH and the car died, he had no power steering and no power brakes working, he let it roll until it came to a stop on the shoulder.

I felt guilty because I pushed him for many years to get a Kia and after 20 years with Mercury he decided to join me in February. Anyway the dealer was nice and when he demanded they give him a fair amount back for the Spectra they offered him $12,700. Not bad considering he bought it 6 weeks earlier for $14,700. He drove off the lot with a new Rio5 (black) instead. He says that after 1 week of driving the Rio5 he does not regret his decision. He admits it has less power but he loves the peppy handling and suspension, body style, hatch and dark interior as opposed to the Spectras Beige interior which gets easily stained! He also likes the leather wrapped steering wheel and metal pedals and metal trim (as I do!). I'm glad it worked out well for him, I was worried he would never trust me again!

BTW Gunther Kia in Fort Lauderdale where I buy all my cars from has been sold out of Rio5 for 10 days now, my grandfather got the last one. My friend who works there says they have a waiting list of customers eager to buy one. They do have dozens of Spectras which the sales manager is willing to give away at cost. Kia better start shipping those cars in soon while they are still in high demand here, especially with that car and driver report that came out this month!
    since that uses the Elantra engine, which has been really solid the last few years by all reports...sorry to hear about that. But I'm glad he got into a Rio5, they are a great little car. My dealer ironed out my one minor gremlin in a hurry, and it's doing great now. I was bummed when I got home tonight that my drive home was over, I was having an enjoyable drive. :( Really enjoying driving this little hatch. :D

Russ Darrow Kia in Madison has been reordering Rios and Rio5's left and right, they keep around a couple dozen in stock, they're still selling 3-5 Spectras a week and they're selling 3 Rios for every Spectra! I think Kia has a hit with this one...

Todd in Beerbratistan
    A little over half-price for a 2006 Kia Rio5. What a deal. It is one of the cars on my futures list. You better believe those people in line know what a cool little car it is or they wouldn't have camped out like that. You guys scored yourselves one of the best deals(if not the best)I've ever heard related here on Edmunds, or anywhere else for that matter. :D

Enjoy that little pup!