Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• voidvoicevoidvoice Member Posts: 24
    -it just seems that when compared to the Mazda3, the two cars are going to be so similar it will come down to the intangibles: tastefulness, driving feel and all the other subjective points that make up a buyer's mind. The one thing Honda has hands-down over the Mazda3 is the offering of a coupe version, and for right now, the Si. Americans love their sporty-looking cars, and as sexy as the Mazda3 sedan is, it's no two-door. -
    Mazda3 > civic, hatchback. :confuse:
  • inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    You add 150 lbs for refinement and safety features and yes you loose economy. Why? HP has been increased. Power requires energy and mass requires more of it. I too wish some car company got its head out of its collective butt and make a true 6 speed OD. The EX /LX is a prime candidate for this. Gears 1-5 about the same with 6 as true OD> True OD is good on downhill and flat. It saves gas. I bet 41-42 EPA rating possible with true OD manual. No you cannot push on the gas with the OD engaged. No power. That is the point. Hello Honda. I can gear down as that is fun! The EX auto does demonstrate the advantage of lower final drive with the 40 mpg rating. I predict that any skilled stick driver will always beat this auto mpg in real world even with the 5 speed auto. City mileage fell victum to weight and power plain and simple.

That all said, I believe the 06 EX 5 Speed sedan will get me upper 30'S in most driving I do with OK power when I want it along with decent handling. That is the point. IF Honda can attract more buyers who are tired of $3.00 per gallon plus now, then the county is better off.

But listen up HOnda. Start thinking MPG savoring 6 speed OD or at least bring the nice Honda Diesel accord over here for me to trade up to.!!!!!!
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    http://automobiles.honda.com/civics/index.aspx

From what I see, the new civic is a techno-marvel. Satellite navigation with voice activation, 160 watt sound system with XM, and my god, the dash looks spectacular. I was thinking of an Accord or an Acura TSX but with this new Civic I don't think they are worth the extra money, and the Hybrid will get at least 40 mpg, for those concerned about $4 gas.

Bravo Honda, most redesigned economy cars are far from revolutionary, but you have created something for the technofile in all of us.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I am very interested in The New Civic.

At first, I liked what I heard, with more power (compared to engines of it's size) AND better economy (compared to other engines of it's size), but I am no longer as impressed.

After the 2004 facelift, the Civic (coupe in particular) is a very attractive acr at a strong price. Excellent value! Only enhanced now that prices and rates are at an all-time low.

The new car is bigger and more powerful, but it doesn't have a practical competitor to Mazda3 5-door or Matrix/Vibe. The coupe is nice, but the 5-door performance hatchback is "IN".

To stay ahead of Corolla, and within striking distance of the 3, power is up to 140, but torque is still low, as the 3 and future Corollas will have more.

The new dash may excite younger buyers, but turn off anyone over 30. I don't hear great things about the S2000 dash as far as ergonomic excellence. It seems eccentric, at best. Trying too hard to be different.

A valid point about the Corolla being more efficient with a 3 year old engine with similar power/torque. Car and Driver said it had the best balance between power and efficiency in it's class back in '03. The new Civic adds 10HP, but loses 3 MPG with a 5-speed. Toyota can stay ahead of the game here.

Not feelin' the exterior, as the rear bumper is too big, the grille/headlights are too small, and the coupe reminds me of the old Acura CL, more feminine to my eyes than the current coupe.

The Si stays ahead of the Corolla XRS and Mazda3 S, but with Mazdaspeed coming, and Cobalts and such easily passing 200HP, it may not grab enough attention with 197HP.

The added safety features, and ABS on all models helps ALOT! And it's sterling rep will enhance it's position.

Let's put it this way, I think to cosider trading my 142HP Integra, the rumored CRX model maybe my only hope of getting in a new Honda, as the RSX has too much anti-style.

I like the thoughts behind the Hybrid though. Make it as fast and powerful as other compacts (about 130 combined HP), but with 50MPG.

Another strike against the manual tranny, dogging it in defernece to the slushbox. That's a quizling! No reason for that.

DrFill
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    when will we know price :sick:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think you can assume price will be 1-3% higher than the outgoing comparable trim lines. Honda lost 12% of its Civic market in the last year and odds are it won't overprice the new Civic; if it did, it would be shooting itself in the foot.

On the other hand, Honda has been overallowing on trade-ins on the existing generation Civic since I bought mine (since gone) in '03. I wouldn't be surprised if discounts and overallowance are harder to come by in the first year of the new model's introduction. It seems like it should be pretty hot in the market place, especially if Americans turn back to sedans (from SUV's) for commuting, given the gas crunch.
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    Is the camshaft driven by a chain or belt in the new 1.8L engine?

Alland
  • nortonssnortonss Member Posts: 3
    Chain
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    you: My point is does it make sense to buy a USED civic over a NEW civic.

me: I picked the Taurus as an example of a used car that is a good financial move compared to ANY new car. And the reason it is a good financial deal is because it does depreciate so much. If you're a used-car buyer, you should be focusing on vehicles that depreciated a lot, not ones that depreciate a little. You are correct in thinking that a used Civic that is almost the same cost as a new one, is not a great deal.

If the state you live in has sales tax, excise tax based on value, and expensive car insurance a used car is the best financially. You could save $10K on the purchase, $500 on sales tax, hundreds on registration, and might decide to forego collision and comprehensive coverage on a $5K used car (Taurus again for an example). That is basically money that could be invested and earn interest. All those savings would more than pay for any repairs and increased gas usage.

Don't buy a new vehicle if the reason you're doing it is to Save Money by getting a little better mpg. Buy a new vehicle because you like it.

Now with that said - if you want a new vehicle, the Civic is a good choice to save money relative to other new vehicle choices.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I saw pictures of it, but it looks like a cross between a Toyota Prius and the current Accord.
    you: The new civic city numbers are WORSE by 6%. (32 down to 30).

me: Fuel economy in the city is mainly a function of engine displacement. A larger displacement engine will use more fuel idling moving larger pistons - more surface area, more friciton. I have a 2.5 X-Type and a 5.7 L Firebird, and they get about the same highway mileage. In city driving the Firebird gets about 40% less mpg.
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    I heard on a site the new 2006 honda civic si takes premium gas?
    this true cause honda lost me there
    you: ...and have based our purchasing decision on quality vs. price - not perceived quality, per se, but build quality that can be seen by the naked eye, and decent mechanical quality.

me: build quality ?? # 1 ?? I like build quality, but that is more important if I'm buying a piece of furniture or clothing. A car has mechanical systems and it's all about driving, durability and performance - things related to kinetic motion. I wouldn't care how tight the seams are, if the car didn't handle and brake very well, or perform well in crashes. It also should start and run everyday, with a lose trim piece or such being relatively inconsequential. Build-quality should not come before functional/performance qualities, unless you buy a car mainly for the "art".
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The 2006 Honda Civic Sedan, Honda Civic Coupe, and Honda Civic Hybrid all require REGULAR UNLEADED

The 2006 Honda Civic Si Performance Coupe requires PREMIUM UNLEADED due to its high performance engine.
    Honda.....
    thought this was a car appealing to teenagers.....
    premium gas.. yeah what a waste
    dont have that kind of money to pay 20k then pay premium 91 octane gas prices
    ...i thought getting the honda would be better than the 2006 mustang v6 guess not atleast it runs on regular and has 210 hp. 2006 honda civic si= 22/31mpg
    2006 ford mustang v6 = 19/28 mpg and i dont have to pay extra.... pretty much same price too
    Here's something to ponder: (about Civics holding their value:

My 1999 Honda Civic, with no power windows, power mirrors, or power seats, or any creature comforts besides a CD Player, A/C, Power Locks, Remote Entry, and a Double Wishbone Suspension, is still worth about $6,000.

It's got 100,000 Miles (almost) and is in Average Condition.

Not bad.
    Conclusion? Don't buy a Used Civic. They retain their value far longer than a Ford Focus or Chevrolet Cavalier.

A New Civic (or new Accord, for that matter) will be the better deal than its 1,2,3, or even 4 year old variant.

If you can afford a clean, certified used Honda Accord (2002 EX models run for almost $16,000 in my area) you might as well a) buy a brand new 2005 Honda Civic LX, or b) stretch yourself and get a brand new 2005 Honda Accord LX or 2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition, or possibly even a 2005 Civic EX.
    i know plenty of high performing cars that dont ask for premium gas, the ford mustang is one of them. the v6 and the v8 use regular and both will out-perform the 2006 honda civic si
    You're darn tooting right. For $6K (or a thousand more), looking at '99 vehicles, with some negotiating you could pick up a nice FWD Lincoln Continental, an STS, or Buick Park Avenue.

I'd buy Hondas and Toyotas new. Although lately I've seen Boston area dealers regularly selling used cars with less than 25 miles at thousands off. I'm surprised; are these people deciding against the purchase after a day. I can't believe they are demoing a car 20 miles and then selling it for $2K less. I'd think once they start a vehicle as a demo, you might as well have it as the demo for a few thousand miles. Why create 50 demos and not just 1 demo.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Well the Civic does and you are not going to save gas money buying a V6 or V8 Mustang even with cheaper gas, so it isn't an issue.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    The car averages 24 miles a gallon. Has 265 horsepower and will smoke the SI.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wonder if it requires premium or if premium is recommended for optimal performance. Many cars for which the manufacturer recommends premium run just fine on regular (computers adjust for it), although performance is reduced a bit.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Funny, I am also looking at Accord and TSX, but now this Civic is hard to overlook. It has the features I want (Navi, iPOD jack, great MPG) that I don't think I need to spend $6,000-$10,000 more.

M
  • scraperscraper Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if the parts of the new 2006 si will fit in any previous civic model? For example; if the engine could be used on any other civic or other parts from the car as well. The reason is that around where I live civics get stolen all the time and that will determine if I get the car or not.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    The car averages 24 miles a gallon. Has 265 horsepower and will smoke the SI.

Until you get to the first turn.
    It might require it, but why buy an Si if you don't want the added performance? I can understand Camry V6 and Avalon buyers putting in regular and not using all the available performance, but not Si buyers.
    I would just get an EX instead and get better mileage plus no need for premium.
  • mdpaymdpay Member Posts: 7
    I understand the many issues that effect fuel economy. If you read Honda's press release from a few weeks ago, you will read about the numerous improvments they made to the engine for fuel economy, yet the result is 6% less for city.

By contrast, the Corolla's engine is basically a carry over from the previous generation (2000 or 2001, I'm not sure). It is a 1.8L and is rated 2mpg higher city and 3mpg highway.

I'm just confused and disappointed with Honda blowing their horn about improvemnets with the engine fuel econ, yet it appears they really achieved the improvement in the auto trans because of gearing.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    you: Buy a Ford or GM and it blows up after 60k

us: laughing!!!

..."build quality ?? # 1 ?? I like build quality, but that is more important if I'm buying a piece of furniture or clothing. A car has mechanical systems and it's all about driving, durability and performance"

Psssst...build quality is not simply body panels lining up, it's overall manufacturing within tighter tolorences subsequently adhering to advanced Quality guidelines.
  • jmontejmonte Member Posts: 3
    Can someone update me on the expected street date of the new Civic sedan?
    why fwd the scion tc has rwd and burnouts are cooler rwd
    Do we have the info on the MSRPs yet?
    Honda is rumored to be launching MSRPs tomorrow.
    Hondas, Toyotas, and Lexuses are better deals as brand new automobiles.

I sold my 1997 Honda Accord SE in 2002 for $7500. It had about 100K miles, was in clean condition, and in my opinion, wasn't worth it. A 4 or 5 year old Ford Taurus, with far less miles, would have gone for about the same price, or even slightly less.

But back to the Civic...
    Thanx, what seems to be the word on when it will hit dealers? Are we looking Oct. rather than Sept. right now?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Sedans and Coupes September 15th. Hybrids mid-October. Si December.
    Yes I know about build quality, I'm an engineer in a manufacturing facility. I believe you said you could tell about overall build quality by looking at bumper and body panel gaps.

As I said that has very little to do with whether the vehicle performs well or whether the engine and transmission and all those other parts have good build quality. That is stuff that is not visible to you, and if it were visible you'd need a micrometer to measure variances.

If you go to auto shows and see concepts you can see many high build/paint quality shells of vehicles that have no drivetrain. They are art, and say nothing of how they'd perform or last.
    "Yes I know about build quality, I'm an engineer in a manufacturing facility. I believe you said you could tell about overall build quality by looking at bumper and body panel gaps."

Please re-read my post, that was not said.

"As I said that has very little to do with whether the vehicle performs well or whether the engine and transmission and all those other parts have good build quality. That is stuff that is not visible to you, and if it were visible you'd need a micrometer to measure variances."

God help me!!! :cry:
    We're looking at Mid-September for the most popular models (DX, LX, EX Sedans and Coupes) and then maybe October for the Hybrid model.

Si shouldn't be around until Decemberish.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    mvs1 - Psssst...build quality is not simply body panels lining up, it's overall manufacturing within tighter tolorences subsequently adhering to advanced Quality guidelines.

That's correct. And, if body panel tolerances are not kept within tight limits, it begs the question of current mechanical tolerances and build quality of that marque as well. Build quality is not just of sheetmetal fabrication, but of engine, transmission, and other mechanical sub-systems. The driving experience and reliability/durability is important, but performance, especially the continued discussion of HP, becomes less relevant as the years pass by.

You don't have to whisper in my ear about knowing a quality vehicle, I've been buying Asian and European cars probably longer than you have been alive.
    On Ebay it is difficult but not impossible to find fantastic deals.

Such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572265812&fromMakeTrack=tru- - e

2004 Civic EX Coupe, 20,364 miles, excellent condition according to inspection, automatic transmission. Kelly Blue Book says it worth $15,530 (private seller)
    and (with 2 days 1 hour left to bid) it is going for $8,246.

I bet by year's end a few 2006's will pop up on ebay. Within 2-3 years, good deals will be rare but existant. Within 5 years, steals will be common.

Of course for those of us in the moneyed elite, we can enjoy the frivolity of buying new, so as not to risk contamination by the unclean surfs. :P
    "You don't have to whisper in my ear about knowing a quality vehicle, I've been buying Asian and European cars probably longer than you have been alive."

Driving a Caravan and looking at a Kia??? I'll say this out loud. Go for the Kia and let us know how long before the check engine light comes on.
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    I've been wondering what my next car would be for a few months now, but that all changed when TOV release the stats a few days ago. I absolutely love this car. The 05 already had all the features i was looking for, but thank god I waited. Now I get more HP, better MPG, telescopic steeringwheel whith audio controls, MP3, an AUX jack, side curtain airbags and some seriously funky styling. It's a little strange, but I dig it. I'm really happy about the new i-VTEC and 5-speed auto. I plan to use it as a commuter, and cruising at 80mph for an hour and a half on the old VTEC and 4 speed whould have meant higher rpm's than I am comfortable with. This new setup is right up my ally. Now if Honda would hurry up and post an online brochure, I'd be ecstatic.

On a side note, I've been reading this thread for a few days and I'm see less 06 civic posts and more whiny, defensive rants. Can't we just let it go already. :sick:
    Garbage post. That eBay car has salvage title.
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    creamyam said "why fwd the scion tc has rwd and burnouts are cooler rwd "

Did you just say the scion tc is RWD???

All of your posts have just lost their credibility.
    True, but the car was fixed, I don't see what the problem is. If you can get 40% or more of a discount over the KBB price.

My point is that although rare, deals exist. Many people are saying that Civics are useless new because their high resale values mean that you need to wait 5 years before a deal can be found. I'm just saying that that is not always the case.
    I am very excited about the optional voice activated satellite navigation system in the 2006 EX sedan. I am a bit curious about how it works. I know other systems require DVD's of regions in order to funtion. Also what is the monthly charge if it is truly satellite oriented. How easy is it to use? Do you input addresses verbally, manually, phone numbers?

If someone has used the system before or knows about it, I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer these questions.
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    ^^^ ya i so wanna know :cry::cry:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's stop the bickering about build quality. We're focusing only on the Civic in this discussion, and not on the build quality of various manufacturers.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    similar to Accord and Acura NAVs, No monthly charge. If you want to get updated DVD every 18-24 months it costs about $180. Very , Very easy to use. The NAV voice works very well; also audio, AC are integrated. If they enable the bluetooth and you phone is bluetttoth capable it communicates with your phone. I have the 2005 Accord NAV it does npt have bluetooth but all theo ther functions. The new Civic line looks awesome !
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    The new civic looks to be a home run but I've been searching for info to see if and which models come with 4 wheel disc brakes. Drum brakes are out dated but everyone still uses them on lower model trims.
This discussion has been closed.