Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    is jumping on the Civic's MPG way too soon. It still gets better mileage than most cars in it's class. Even the base engine in the 3 is rated at 28/35. And with i-VTEC there is a possibility the Civic will perform just as well, if not better, than the 3s.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The EX and SI have discs all around; the others have drums - all ABS, of course.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    will be released when each model goeson sale as follows -

Sedan 9-15
    Coupe 9-15
    Hybrid 10-5
    Si 12-1
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    So satellite navigation uses DVD's? How exactly does the Accord and Acura Nav units work?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Agalas,

The information about streets, cities, highways, restaraunts , etc. is located on the DVD.

All navigation systems use satellite GPS positioning to determine where the car currently is and the position of where you want to go. Software programing takes you current postion and the DVD infomation to calculate directions to reach your destination.

The only key thing about the DVD is that is contains a very, very large amount( gigabytes) of information and therefore has details of every street, POI ( points of interest : ATM, grocery store, restarants, etc) for every major and most minor cities in the continental US and some Canadian provinces.

Other types of infomation are contained in memory or hard drives and were regionalize. Fopr example Garmin had the US broken into six regions. You usually received unlock keys to your region , but if you went to another region and wanted dertails you had to download or insert another hard drive module. With DVD you have it all.

Having said that and having looked at multiple navigation systems Honda/Acura is one of the best, if not the best. Touch screen, voice input, easy to navigate, easy to understand, easy to read. In contract one of the worst is the new Dodge Charger, no touch screen, no voice input, a rotary only knob input and very hard to read yellow on white display.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I do. There's not much point in saving $7K and wondering for the rest of the time you own the car whether it will be safe or not.

Since I'm in the moneyed elite, I can afford to buy new, so I guess it doesn't apply to me.

But I know I would never buy a Salvaged car for my teenage driver (when he becomes one)

Back to the Civic....
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    Not to mention that a wreck that has been repaired isn't always repaired well. If you bend a car's frame, things tend to be a little off even after it is repaired. Who knows how this could have compromised the handling of the vehicle as well as its performance in the next crash.

Or maybe the thing was submerged and then salvaged. What condition is all of the electronics in?
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Although I like the new Civic part of my interest in the vehicle is fuel economy. I just compared a 06 tC to a 05 Civic EX Coupe. My insurance company is USAA. I used 15000 miles per year. After one year of use the tC is $115.00 dollars cheaper. Granted, I used 28 MPG on the tC since most of my driving is highway. The reason is the high insurance on the Civic. Again that was for a 05 Civic. Figure a $100-120 increase for the 06 EX and the difference gets bigger. Wonder what the Si will run? I'll wait until the test drive but that 30-40 MPG is not that big of a deal anymore. The Si is basically the same MPG as the tC.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    http://20yearsofcivic.com/

A little nostalgic.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Agree. And it was 1 thing to bid on a salvage vehicle if you inspect it closely and drive it; but very, very scary to bid based on a picture and someone's word.

You've got to suspect that the reason the person isn't selling the salvage vehicle locally is because people who do inspect and drive it have rejected it, and the only way the owner is going to get more than a few thousand is to find some sucker who thinks he's going to get a deal.

And, I'm kind of disappointed that Honda doesn't have anymore on their website. Everything they posted was pretty much already known. And I've got to think they have the pricing figured out by now. What's with withholding the info? Sometimes I get the feeling from Honda that they think the customer should be thrilled to throw money at them.
  • jesusjamesjesusjames Member Posts: 10
    Civic SI using premium fuel = BAD!
    No hatchback = BAD!
    No SI motor for sedan = BAD!
    SI Motor, high RPM to get power = BAD!

Honda COME ON. who in their right mind
    is going to rev a motor beyond 8000 RPM?!
    I don't care how good the motor is, or how
    any of that. Running the RPMs over 4000 will
    kill the seals on the motor and it will start
    leaking oil.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    22 mpg of premium fuel in the city w/ weak low-end torque? It's quite RX-8-ish alright. But then the rotary RX-8 w/ RWD platform, when equipped w/o the sport suspension, rides like a limo & still handles like a race car -- something even the full-Double Wishbone Civic's can't do.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746

People who like a spirited ride. :shades:

High RPM has no negative effect on engine wear if it was designed for it. I had a CBR600 with a 13,000RPM redline for 13 years and never had a problem with the engine.

If don't like many revs and don't want to buy premuim wait for a couple of years until the diesels show up.
    The car averages 24 miles a gallon. Has 265 horsepower and will smoke the SI.

Until it has to turn, and then it just falls off the cliff and bursts into flames, while Civic handles the corners and keeps on going.

1998 Mustang GT probably cost over $20K at the time. 1999 Civic Si sold new for $16K. In 2005 the 1998 Mustang GT may get $5-6000, while Civic Si will still get $8-10,000.
    On Ebay it is difficult but not impossible to find fantastic deals.

Such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572265812&fromMakeTrack=tru- - - e

2004 Civic EX Coupe, 20,364 miles, excellent condition according to inspection, automatic transmission. Kelly Blue Book says it worth $15,530 (private seller)
    and (with 2 days 1 hour left to bid) it is going for $8,246.

I bet by year's end a few 2006's will pop up on ebay. Within 2-3 years, good deals will be rare but existant. Within 5 years, steals will be common.

Of course for those of us in the moneyed elite, we can enjoy the frivolity of buying new, so as not to risk contamination by the unclean surfs.

It is a salvage car.
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    2006 honda civic si performance
    0-60 7.3 sec
    top speed 136 (red line limited)
    estimated base price $19,500
    credible source (car and driver)
    Civic SI using premium fuel = BAD!
    No hatchback = BAD!
    No SI motor for sedan = BAD!
    SI Motor, high RPM to get power = BAD!

leaking oil.

Maybe if you are revving a GM or Ford engine it wil fall apart at 8000 RPM. Honda engine can run all day at red line and still start up next morning.

Ford is actually getting better, even the Non-SVT Focus survivied my driving it at redline.

Yeah a 350 will blow seals at 4000 RPM. But a Honda engine that has capacity to rev to 10,000 RPM will be fine at 8500 RPM.

I agree Si should only be a hatchback. It is its heritage to be a hatch. Call it EX-R if you make it into a coupe. And R does not stand for race, but for a starchy grain.
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    Why are you comparing an RX-8 to a Civic Si. You are aware that the RX-8 is in a totally different class of car right?
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    no price yet? anyone know when they will release prices?
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    The best example of engines being run at high rpm is of course the racing leagues. I'm not sure which leagues Honda , Ford ... build engines for, but I believe they ALL need rebuilds after 1 or 2 races of several hours at high rpm. And I'm sure there are much more exotic materials in Indy, F1, and SCCA engines than on any Honda on the road.

Aluminum is aluminum, and steel is steel in Japan, Germany or the U.S.

Very, very few people are accumulating hours of high rpm driving on the street. No one is holding their engines at 8,000 rpm. If they hit that they're shifting to the next higher gear immediately.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I think the EX Coupe is the way to go. I would not buy a car that needs premium fuel. That is a cost penalty added to the already high price of fuel. It makes no sense. My Accord EX V6 coupe uses regular, and the performance is more than anyone needs on the street. Fuel prices are going to be the main concern of new car buyers very soon, if not now. The 5 speed automatic gets better gas mileage than the stick, (30/40) according to Hondas web site, and I would want the Automatic if for no other reason than the better mileage. The EX Coupe seems to have almost all of the goodys of the Accord EX V6 Coupe at a much smaller price, and of course, much better fuel costs. My Accord gets 28 on the hiway, and 25 in town running the AC. Forty MPG looks very good to me. That reduces my cost of driving by about 27 percent.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If you don't like the Si, don't buy it. It's a niche car that's designed to appeal to a small group of people.

If you want a hatchback- get a Honda Fit. It's coming to America next year.

I don't think Honda has ever built a Civic Si sedan, although I may be wrong.

I personally like the EX Sedan, since I like having 4 doors, but that's just me.
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    Remember, though, you're comparing the older car's EPA estimates to the newer car's HONDA mileage estimates. These are 2 differerent laboratories. EPA hasn't measured the new Civic's yet, and if they are consistent with their history, then their #'s will likely exceed Honda's #'s. And, given the unreliability of EPA's #'s, a 2-3 MPG difference is within the standard error of measurement (SEM), so the real difference is probably negligible.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Very dissapointed with the new Civic.

I had high hopes with the claim of 6% better mpg with new engine technology. Looks like the mpg is worse given the same transmission (manual) - only a new transmission improves mileage (automatic).

I was hoping for a skosh more room inside. Civic was 91 cubic ft and Accord is 103. That is a large difference - there is plenty of room for the Civic to move up to 95 cubic ft especially with a new small Honda on the Horizon. The Civic did not gain any room, just weight.

Yes it has more horsepower, but it has more weight to haul around.

Why does the automatic cruise at 1900 revs per mile while the manual is at 2500 revs per mile. Taller gearing would have improved highway mileage and reduced noise. A 6 speed manual would have also helped - not one of those goofy six speeds that does not have a taller top gear though. The Corolla does fine at 2100 revs per mile with the manual - same size engine and similar power/torque.

The biggest plus is standard ABS. ABS is hard to find on Corolla (which gets better mileage with several year old engine technology),.
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    What about compare Honda Civic 2006 Coupe/Sedan and Toyota Corolla S 2006 (Manual Transmisison, +ABS etc... to make it equal, no price comparison) ?

What is better?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Reviews I've read of the '06 Civic sedan note increased passenger room, but I can't find the interior volume figures. Are you saying the interior volume for the '06 Civic sedan is the same as the '05? That would be pretty poor, considering the lower-priced '06 Accent has more interior room than the '05 Civic, and matches the Civic's standard ABS and side curtains while nearly matching the fuel economy, for thousands less.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I don't know what's Hyundai's problem with fuel economy "nearly matching" a larger, heavier, more powerful Civic in fuel economy.
    Most Hyundais have poor mpg relative to competing cars of equal size.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    There was a review by the Toronto Star (you have to register to see the page) on the Civic.

"The short hood and sharply raked windshields give the impression of spaciousness, although interior room remains about the same. That's okay, thanks in part to the absolutely flat floor in the rear (no hump!)"- Toronto Star

It seems the interior room is about the same. But feels more spacious :confuse:

* The reviewer was impressed with the Civic.
  • canadianbaconcanadianbacon Member Posts: 6
    The engines used by Honda, Ford, Toyota and Ferrari in world racing championships are all small displacement V-8's (I think 2.5 litres in F1), many of them turbocharged, that often have redlines of 11-12 thousand. They run more or less at or near that redline limit consistently, and their engines last about one or two races, you're right.

Road engines rev to the max only about 9000 (RX-8, etc.), are often not turbocharged in these cases, and produce significantly less power, often from much larger displacement. And they are rarely redlined. I've run my 2005 Elantra to the redline once, maybe twice a month, only when I need extra acceleration (I don't really get it by the way, the engine lacks top-end power), and from driving with a variety of different people, I know that is the same for many street-going cars. This is regardless of whether or not that power is produced at the top of the tach, as in the S2000's, Civic Si's, and RSX's are, or whether they are down-low torque machines such as GM's pushrod V-6's and V-8's. About 95% of people who drive keep the revs low until they need or want more power, then they rev it high. In such a case, a car that produces it's power higher up is theoretically better suited to most people's desires. Having driven an RSX Type S (it was only once, on a test drive), I can attest to this. It is rather sedate at low revs, until you pull out onto the freeway and floor it. The top end power is pleasing and reassuring. People who want their power lower in the tach will end up buying brute V-6's and V-8's like the ones found in the Mustang GT, with a rev limit of 6000. Personally I don't mind having VTEC kick in to produce my power at a higher rev range, it saves gas, and doesn't take anything extra to use. Much more efficient in my mind.
    Maybe if Hyundai added $3000 more to the price of the Accent to make it more comparable to the price of the Civic DX, they could afford to make up that last 1-2 mpg difference. FYI, Hyundai's latest engines such as those on the new Sonata match Honda's in fuel economy. I guess one could ask what Honda's problem is that they can't greatly exceed the fuel economy of a competitor that has far less experience in designing VVT engines than Honda does.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The Accent is more of a Jazz/Fit competior. The Elantra is more comparable to the Civic and the Elantra gets poor gas mileage for it's size.
  • cardog3cardog3 Member Posts: 4
    Your exactly right. Price will not come down until the initial rush is over and we get 3 feet of snow. The reality of a upscale small car market is inevitable. Gas isn't coming down. It will be at $3.75 next year at this time. Honda has done a great job of designing a civic that reestablishes some of its lost excitement as well as position it for huge sales increases as fuel prices increase.
    We both have not driven the new Civic or Accent. The Civic may have a more enjoyable ride, or the cabin may be considerably quieter. The Civic may be a lot safer to etc.
    So don't jump to conclusions here.

Hyundai's latest engines such as those on the new Sonata match Honda's in fuel economy
    The Sonata, is still slightly less fuel efficient then the Accord.

Hyundai is not part of the topic here so lets end it.
  • jarrod06civicjarrod06civic Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any clue what the acceleration might be for the 140 hp civic with an automatic? Do you think it will be faster than most of the competition, since it will probably have about average weight for the class, and about average hp for the class (140, most have less, cobalt and 3 have more) but it will have a 5 speed auto while all others offer only 4....that should make it faster....i think.. :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "Reviews I've read of the '06 Civic sedan note increased passenger room, but I can't find the interior volume figures. Are you saying the interior volume for the '06 Civic sedan is the same as the '05? That would be pretty poor"

Yes the added length width height and weight means that the Civic is still 91 cubic ft. of interior space. (actually 90.9)
    I see... it's OK to mention Civic competitors like the tC and Corolla here, but not Hyundai.

Anyway, I didn't jump to any conclusions. All I did was express some surprise that the all-new Civic does not match the interior room of a smaller car that costs much less. I would expect that for several thousand more dollars, the Civic would have a more enjoyable ride and a quieter cabin than the '06 Accent. But we shouldn't jump to conclusions there, should we? ;)
  • promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Do the math. Premium fuel around here is .10 to .20 cents a gallon higher. So it would cost $1.20 to $2.40 per fill-up. Big deal! Would cost the average driver less than $100 per year.
    I see... it's OK to mention Civic competitors like the tC and Corolla here, but not Hyundai.
    I never said its OK...

But we shouldn't jump to conclusions there, should we?
    Nop.
    "Why are you comparing an RX-8 to a Civic Si. You are aware that the RX-8 is in a totally different class of car right?"

Interesting, never thought of it.

RX-8 is too fast? Drive one w/ auto & see it crawls off the line.

RX-8 rides too hard & sporty for comfort? No way, the base automatic w/ 16" wheels is near limo like!

Is the Civic Si much roomier than the RX-8 for 4 passengers?

RX-8 too expensive compare to the Civic Si? Not when it comes to the annual $6-8k discount.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    leaking oil

Thank the gods you showed up. I'll get this info to Honda as soon as possible. I think you may have saved the day. They would have released all those K20 Si's with oil leaking all over the place. .....................yeah, it sounds kind of rediculous when you hear it back doesn't it?
    "I would expect that for several thousand more dollars, the Civic would have a more enjoyable ride and a quieter cabin than the '06 Accent."

Why the Accent? I remember CR's comparison test on the previous Civic was the Hyundai Elantra that beats the Civic in both ride comfort & quietness.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    The Hyundai Elantra is classified as a midsize, where as the Sonata is a 'large' car. The Accent is a compact, and would compare to Civic according to the EPA. Of course, this is subjective as most see the Elantra as the Civic competitor, where the Sonata is the Cam/Cord competitor.

My decision on which car to buy next relies on the test drive.

Mazda 3s has more power, 5 speed auto, sunroof, and navi.

Civic EX coupe has more mpg, 5 speed auto, sunroof, and voice activated navi.

For my tests, it is a close race, both have similar options but there is a difference in power and economy. $3.15 gas in my area can have an effect, but good acceleration from my current '97 Z24 5 speed manual Cavalier also makes me want decent performance.

Can't wait to test drive each back to back to find my ultimate commuter car. To bad one didn't offer AWD (not considering the Mazdaspeed 3), that would seal the deal instantly.
    "The Hyundai Elantra is classified as a midsize,"

When I bought my '90 Protege, EPA classified it as roomier than the Camry. I find more headroom but way less leg room in the Pro.

Do you recall the Elantra having as much stretch-out leg room as the recent Cam/Cord?

All I remember was that all Accord prior to '98 got less rear stretch-out leg room than the '96 Civic sedan & the '90 Protege.

Balance shafts, which usually come with 4-cyl engines greater than 2.0, waste energy by as much as 6hp. So the Mazda 3S... Only the 2.0 3i was rated as the most fuel efficient by CR.
    this thursday is a week from the release you think we can build our own then?

oh can someone explain to me the difference between the ex, dx, lx coupes?
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    No build your own yet, I just checked. Go to Temple of VTEC for detailed model specs. I don't remember the address, just google "06 civic TOV".
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, this topic is about the upcoming Civic. It's not about the competition. If you want to start a comparisons thread, please do so on the Sedans Comparisons board and leave this topic exclusively for discussion about the new Civic. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Civic Coupe DX, LX and EX

Standard features on the Civic Coupe DX include a 1.8-liter SOHC i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine, 5-speed manual transmission (5-speed automatic available), 15-inch steel wheels with covers, P195/65R15 tires, Advanced Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with EBD, advanced dual-stage dual-threshold driver's and front passenger's airbags, driver's and front passenger's side airbags, two-row side curtain airbags, active front head restraints, rear head restraints in all seating positions, front seatbelts with load limiters and dual pre-tensioners, two LATCH points in the rear seat, daytime running lamps, power front windows, power locks, tilt and telescope steering wheel, folding rear seat, a dual trip meter odometer, the Maintenance Minder system and a trunk lid lip spoiler.

The Civic Coupe LX adds 16-inch steel wheels with covers, P205/55R16 tires, keyless entry, 6-speaker 160-watt AM/FM Audio System with CD Player (MP3/WMA enabled), auxiliary audio input jack, multi-function center console with armrest, progressive blue illumination instrument panel meters, auto up and down driver’s power window, and painted interior and exterior trim pieces.

The Civic Coupe EX adds 16-inch alloy wheels, 7-speaker with subwoofer AM/FM/XM-Ready Audio System with CD player (MP3/WMA enabled), 60/40 split folding rear seat, one-touch power moonroof, ambient console lighting, round exhaust tip finisher and available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Activation (also includes XM Satellite Radio).
    I also believe that the DX does not have air conditioning. LX and EX do.
    so which one is the better buy if i don't need any huge speakers just everything basic with power windows power locks ac and just basic, but with all safety and 30/40

also what's the difference between 15 and 16 inch wheels besides the size? do they give you faster accelaration or traction?
  • adrenalinejnkyadrenalinejnky Member Posts: 2
    Hey I found this info on the Si when I did a search today. Pics included. Hope this helps a little!http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=107050#15
This discussion has been closed.