Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    Anybody got a guess at how much bigger the interior will be? I noticed the Mazda3 has a large interior, almost as big as some midsized cars. I was wondering if Honda will try to match this as well as the performance aspects. (I got three kids and like small cars, what can I say? :) )
  • mautomauto Member Posts: 75
    My decision to buy a 2006 (or later) Civic with rest on one feature: Will they finally restore the folding side mirrors as they once had on the 5th gen.? If the 2006 has fixed mirrors, I will assume that Honda has failed to do its homework and decided to go "cheap" (again) on the car.

We already know that the rubber timing belt will be history and good ridance.

Let's also hope they get the suspension right. The 7th gen. suspension tuning has me reaching for the Dramamine. A mid 70's Eldorado does a better job of body control.

As far as no hatchback for the US. Honda seems to mis-time hatchback popularity as badly as one can get. They had hatchbacks in the 90's when everyone was buying sedans. Now, when hatchback popularity is surging, Honda has no viable offering (except for the over priced, rarely seen Si).
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Folding mirrors are standard on the except for the over priced, rarely seen Si.

And the suspension is also very tight (for stock set up) on the except for the over priced, rarely seen Si

except for the over priced, rarely seen Si has timing chain, not timing belt.

Maybe you were looking for features that Honda thought only people who drive Si's would appreciate. I am sure Honda does some marketing research. But I agree, Honda is off the beat with hatchbacks. When I bought my 99 Civic, I would have rather bought the hatchback in that iteration had it been available in EX trim, rather than spartan CX or DX.

The 2002 Si fit the bill perfectly, it was cheap, it was a hatchback, and it had more standard equipment than EX.

except for the over priced, rarely seen Si I don't think Si is overpriced, I bought mine for less than $15,000 (brand new), this is less than what I paid for 99 Civic EX in 1999. And I got more for my money. Even now, people are able to buy Si for $17,000 or so. Most EX's go for that.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Anybody got a guess at how much bigger the interior will be? I noticed the Mazda3 has a large interior, almost as big as some midsized cars. I was wondering if Honda will try to match this as well as the performance aspects. (I got three kids and like small cars, what can I say? :) )"

Really Mazda 3 interior is large? I sat in the 3 hatch and it was cramped. It found the 3 not as big as midsize cars in terms of interior size. I;m 5 foot 7 and head my head was too close to the roofline. I sat in the Mazda 6 and that was a niced car. The 3 I could not drive one if I had too. I could fit comfortably in the current Hyundai Elantra and current Civic 4 door as far as compacts go.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Hmm, I'm 6' tall, and sit "high" (long torso), and found the 3 to have plenty of room up front, including headroom, and enough in the back of the hatch.

Maybe the front seat was ratcheted up? It has a lot of vertical adjustment.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Too bad about the coupe only. From the pics of the Si concept, I can't see it having enough usable rear seat room, never mind the tiny trunk.

Again, call me a whiner, but the hatch version would have addressed these issues, and still been stylish.

Heck, they are making the body already, just send it over as an option. There have to be some number of people like me that want something reasonably small and sporty, but still need to have adequate rear seat room and cargo capacity.

I don't use my car (a Scion tC) for family travel, but do need to transport my 2 kids, and sometimes my wife, on a regular basis. That Si doesn't look like it will cut it, and a 4 dr. sedan probably won't have enough "pizazz" or cargo flexibility (love that hatch area) to make it worth while.

Come on, Honda, make a competitor for the 3hatch/matrix/upcoming DCC neon replacement. The 5 door could fit the bill, without looking like a wagon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 54.9 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 54.9 in. Rear Head Room: 37.4 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 54 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.9 in.
    Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.3 in.
    If you compare these numbers to other compacts, you will see the Mazda3 is a very roomy car, especially the backseat (where I would have to put my three kids). I was hoping the Civic would be a comparable model as well as sporty. We have an Odyssey (love it) and I drive my wife's old 1990 Accord (love it, but it is getting old). I hope Honda does make it bigger. As a teacher, I probably can only afford the Civic if I want lots of options, which I do. I guess we will have to wait and see.
  • mari05mari05 Member Posts: 3
    current CIVIC dimensions:
    Front Head Room: 39.8 in. Front Hip Room: 51.2 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 52.6 in. Rear Head Room: 37.2 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 52.0 in. Rear Hip Room: 49.8 in.
    Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.0 in.
    the Civic is currently smaller by two inches in width 67.5 vs. the Mazda3 69.1
    also, the overall height of mazda is over 1.6 inches taller. you've to wait til the new 06 Civic coming out this fall for bigger room. just get the mazada3 now but you lose about 2 cubic inches for the trunk in compromise for more interior space.
  • mautomauto Member Posts: 75
    The idea of a hatchback is that you don't have to fit long items under the rear (fixed) glass as you do in a coupe. The Mazda 3 and 2006 Civic will probably be close in hip/shoulder/leg/head room, but the Civic won't have a hatch - big mistake.

The Si never caught on with the masses because it had only 2 door and a man. trans. and a $20k price tag. Never mind what it actually sold for - people looking for a fairly basic hatchback saw $20k on the sticker and kept walking. Ford seems to sell huge amounts of 3/5 door Focus hatches and Mazda can't make enough 3 hatches. How many times is Honda going to go back and forth between a hatch and a coupe for the Si before they get it right? First the Si was a hatch, then a coupe (arguably the best Si: 99-00), then a hatch and now back to a coupe. Here's an idea, let's have BOTH. How about giving us a choice. Let's have it our way, instead of always having it Honda's way :)
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    I am seriously looking at gettion a scion xb since honda has shafted us on hatches, its so strange that a small "rogue" company has such an out of touch corporate mentality on its product lines, I mean look at the element the so called youth vehicle. thats sold to a majority of 40 + crowds
    I might accept the fit if honda doesn't drag it out until 2007 , but I loved the current 5 door hatch so much I was thinking about importing one

I really would like a vehicke with proportions in the middle of a scion xb and xa
    since the xa is way too small, and the xb has some wasted space, though not as bad as the element
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I really would like a vehicke with proportions in the middle of a scion xb and xa
    since the xa is way too small, and the xb has some wasted space, though not as bad as the element"

What about thr Chrysler PT Cruiser? It has those captain chairs that make you sit up a little higher(a little bit but not that much) than you do in your normal everyday sedan or coupe. It depends if you like feature or not. I think you could fit a normal amount of stuff in the trunk area.

I don't know but the XB does not strike me any more or any less than a youth vehicle than the Element would be. I;m not saying that makes Element or XB bad vehicles by any means. The TC is a youth vehicle to me. I wouldn't buy either the TC, XB or Xa but I'm just saying. Usually young buyers buy cars like a Protege 5/Mazda 3, Mazda 6, RSX, the Civic or Accord Coupes, and the Scion TC.
  • 3dd3dd Member Posts: 20
    MSN has an article on the Civic Concept unveiled at the 05 Geneva Motor Show:

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023056&s=geneva2005&src=minishow
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    but I was looking to get ideas of manufacturers for Honda aftermarket parts, like ground effect kits, exhaust, and intakes. I had a 99si, but my daughter has a 2004 LX coupe. Any pointers or suggestions on manufacturers would be great!

-Paul
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    You might try out our new Speed Shop board, where the talk is focused on mods.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    So where is the '06 Civic? No word from the NY auto show yet!
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Honda doesn't show a model before it's released unless they call it a "concept," like they did witth Acura RL and Honda Ridgeline. You can get the gist of what it's going to look like from the concept, but otherwise, I doubt we'll see anything final before August.
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Honda consistently keeps their new models under wraps until the last minute. There is rumor that Honda might release some information early as they are falling behind a bit as the current platform is getting long in the tooth. Otherwise I do not expect much if any information to be available until late summer.
    We know the Civic will be a little bigger, I wonder how much bigger. It is a nice size now, I hope it does not start to enter the mid-size sedan arena.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I doubt it will grow large enough to enter the mid-size segment, as that would encroach on Accord sales.

Honda needs to do something soon though...Civic ranked 10th in sales in March, down 19% from last year, and Accord is at 6th, down 7%. The Accord is now lower than the Corolla, which is 5th. Honda needs some new cars to stop this slide...
    I think it will be the size of the Mazda 3. About 94 cubic ft. The current Civic is 91. That would still be well below the 103 of the Accord. I would like to see the Civic at 95-96, and then the Fit could be below it in the high 80's.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Is this true? A 6-speed automatic will be offered with the 4 cylinder powerplant?
    Hopefully Honda never offers auto on the Si. The 6 spd manual is a possibility since Civic Type R/ Integra Type R/Acura RSX-S already have 6 spd manual witht the 4 cylinder engine.

This keeps the horsepower away from unskilled hands.
    I think a 5 speed auto is a safe bet in the seda as opposed to a 6 speed. Not sure about the SI though.

Although, Honda keeps saying the new Civic will have technology not expected in the compact car market, so mabye they will surprise us.
    IMO, this accounts for the current lack of sales of the hatchback. Honda hopefully realizes that an auto tranny is needed on the Si this time. As to the new 6-speed auto tranny that is rumoured, it supposedly has two overdrive gears, the second one for improved highway fuel efficiency.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Keep the automatic away from the SI. The SI is a car for people that like to drive, not for people that like to be driven by the car. I think the reduced sales of the current SI are a results of a few shortcomings of an otherwise excellent car:

1. The power is a little low. At the current weight for the improved saftey features, a 180 hp stock engine would make the car accelerate a little better. Ideally, the weight would go back to 2500-2600 lbs and the 160 hp engine would be fine.

2. The top of the car comes too far back before it starts rounding in the rear. I liked the look of the 92-95 hatchback SI styles. A longer factory spoiler would have obscured this feature on the current SI's and kept more of a sports-car look instead of the accused mini-van look.

3. The gear ratio in 5th gear is not set up for fuel efficiency. A 6th gear is needed or 5th gear should be changed to keep the rpm at about 3200-3400 @ 80 mph. With the current SI, that would equate to 33-35 mpg on the highway instead of 30-31. With oil prices fluctuating today, this would put the SI into almost the non-hybrid fuel sipper category.

4. The sticker price is high enough to scare off would-be buyers and production is still somewhat limited.

5. On a separate note, I like the stock Euro tail-light feature that was started on the 2004 models. This adds a little more color to the vehicle.
    John, your points are well stated. Still, I see nothing wrong with offering the automatic with the higher performance engine, if Honda even offers such as engine in the next generation Civic. I like to have a hand free for smoking and drinking.
  • b_adam69b_adam69 Member Posts: 1
    otis, I drive a 5-speed Firebird and can smoke, eat a sandwich and shift into 2nd all at the same time. Nver had a problem with it. I agree with the others who said that if you want to drive and not be driven you should get a manual and that performance engines shouldnt be offered with auto trannies.

As to selling more Si's, the only two things Honda needed to do was make their performance civic look good, which they did, and give it more power, which they also did. So as long as they keep the 06 lookin like the concept, they'll have one new proud Honda owner
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    Brilliant! Design a nice looking car, and then offer it in a configuration that automatically excludes 90% of potential buyers.

There are lots of different ways to appreciate a car, some people prefer an automatic. It doesn't make them lesser drivers and it doesn't make their needs less important.
    I don't see a problem in offering automatics in the higher power versions of cars. I doubt there will be one offered for the Si though.

Hopefully Honda does go with something more advanced than a 4 speed for the auto, maybe either 5 speed auto or something like the Fit's CVT with "7 speed sequential mode" would also be good. Something to put them above the competition. Toyota will come out with the new Corolla in 2-3 years after the Civic, so Honda should try to get ahead now so they aren't left behind by Toyota in the future.

The way gas prices are going these days small cars will be becoming more popular with buyers, but not all buyers want to get "Econo-boxes" some of us don't need a big car, we just want something compact, decent F/E but we still want to have a more upscale interior and feel than whats offered right now. Honda could do this now with the '06 Civic. Hopefully we get some other "Premium Compacts" with Audi A3 and maybe BMW 1 series coming to the US perhaps buyers like me can get what would best suit thier needs.
    Manual only may not sell as many cars, but it will ensure that all the cars out there are as good as they can be. Why dilute the line? Look at the TSX. People complain that it is a little slow with the automatic but fine with the manual - why risk the negative perception of such a niche vehicle. (obviously the TSX is too high in volume to be only manual, but if it was its value would be increased in my eyes)

There is also something nice about exclusivity, and given all the cars that are only available with an automatic that exclude us manual only drivers, why not have the reverse once in a while.

I have driven manuals in heavy traffic for years. The tranny is not the problem it is the traffic. If you are adept at shifting you don't even think about it - just like you don't have to think about breathing.
    Blueied,
    People can have different opinions without descending to the level of using offensive stereotypes. I am neither lazy nor uncoordinated. I just prefer automatic trannys, have always had them and for me, I don't want the effort of a manual tranny. If you do, that's fine. Again, I think Honda should offer both automatic and manual trannys in the next generation Si. Let the marketplace have a choice. And I concur with the other posters in hoping that Honda offers a 6-speed or 7-speed automatic in the upcoming Civic sedans. M/B is already offereing 7-speeds on their new products, so Honda needs to keep pace.
    Not really the direction we want to go in these discussions. Keep focused on the vehicles, not people who drive them. Please visit our News & Views board to talk about the future of manual transmissions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Posts about the merits of auto vs manual transmission will continue to be deleted. This is not the right place for that conversation.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I think it will be a 5 sp auto with paddle shifter. honda offered this feature in many of their small cars, of course outside NA.

And probably abs/traction/vsc/side/curtain bags across the board. Well, maybe half of these items. But it will certainly blow corolla (their arch rival) away. We all know how toyota likes their option packages.
    Even with the upcoming U.S. intro of the Fit, the Civic is viewed by many folks as primarily an economy model. I know I see the Civic that way. So I hope Honda does something (new engine technology, improved trannys) to put the Civic back at the top of the economy range. The falling U.S. sales of the Civic over the last 3 months should be a clear signal to Honda that perspective buyers are looking for some major upgrades.
    With Honda's new "saftey for everyone" campaign I read that all cars will be equipped with ABS and front/side/side curtain airbags as standard equipment. I don't think traction or vsc will be standard just for the fact that it would raise the base price and there would be no cheap stripper DX model for those who need it. Maybe standard on LX and EX but not on DX. Of course Honda could discontinue the DX line for Civic, but I don't think they would, even if it doesn't sell as well as LX and EX.
    M/B is already offereing 7-speeds on their new products, so Honda needs to keep pace.

Now remind me, how much does Mercedes cost?
  • ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163

So I hope Honda does something (new engine technology, improved trannys) to put the Civic back at the top of the economy range.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Yes, the Civic does lack horsepower now compared to its competition, however if you still do a comparison test with the experts, you will still find that the Civic has one of the best if not the best manual transmission out there, so I don't see how they could really improve that. And on top of that with engine technology, they also have some of the most refined out there compared to the competition. What they are lacking is horsepower, and they could have done that but 127 horespower in the EX model back in 2001 when the 7th gen was released was competitive with the rest of the market (Cavalier, Focus, Neon, Protege). The 2002 SI was competitive with the SVT Focus. However it is now 2005 and we have the SRT-4, the Cobalt and the 3 which were not around back when the 7th gen. was released. They obviously boast more horespower than the current Civic however we still haven't seen a rollover to the 8th gen. I agree that Honda needs to put more horsepower in their Civic, and we all know that is going to happen for 2006 to at least stay with the competition if not beat it, but to say that they need new engine technology and improve trannys, I would say they are still a class leader in those departments. Honda knows what's out there, and I think they will out do all of them for this upcoming model. :)
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    well, at least you will be sponsoring the mechanic's kid through college. I just don't like paying for their boat. :D
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    If Honda does come out with this new Si and it is the same or close to the same as the concept, what car would outperform it?(cars that would be in its class) I dont know how the new Cobalt SS would do. I am a chevy person but i am leaning toward the civic for overall better performance. right now i currently own an celica done up a little to give it more juice, i would like to compare these two cars also. I just am wondering what everyone elses oppinon on what car in this class would be best over-all performance.
    The new Si almost certainly will have a 200hp engine. The Cobalt SS SC has a 205hp engine, so not too big of a difference in the hp department.

The Si's engine specifics haven't been released yet but it will probably have a 2.0 K series engine, like the K20A in the RSX-S. The Cobalt also has a 2.0l engine but it is supercharged and will make more torque than the Si. The Si would probably have a bit more torque than the 1.8l in the Celica unless you have boost on it.

There is also the difference in transmissions, the Si will probably have a 6 speed whereas the Cobalt SS has a 5 speed.

If you want to get a rough idea of how the new Si will perform I'd say it will be fairly close to the Acura RSX Type S, though I'm not sure of what the weight difference or suspension set up would be.

If you want flat out balls-to-the-wall power, there is no better deal out there than the Dodge Neon SRT4. There is even a stage 3 mopar kit from the factory that will give it over 310 hp and 325 lb/ft of twist, or 355hp and 365lb/ft if you caan get some high grade 100 octane gasoline. NOt sure if it will be classified as street legal though :D
    So the best bet to me would be get the civic. because if i was to supercharge it, it would surpas the cobalt..i wouldnt but just saying. so then the civic would win in the hp catagory. and i have raced an acura rsx in my celica and got beat. so if the civic si takes after that then no complaints from me.
    on to the neon. i really hate neons. i hate the way they look. and i dont like dodge cars. the srt4 may be fast but its still a neon. so thanks for the info about it but i would never get one. i have pretty much ruled out gettin a cobalt just because after compairing what i know the civic or my celica just seems to be better overall. but to make a final dicision..(money not being an option lets say) i guess i will have to wait till the new civc si comes out and i can drive it. i
    i hope the civic si is close to how it looks as a concept. if it changes to much i dont know what i will think of it..i hope they keep the black hood and the way the bumpers look. also the 18 in rims and high performance tires is a must. if they changed the spoiler or center exaust i can deal without, although i do liek the way it is now. also if it does come out with less then 200 hp then i would look down upon it also.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Keep the automatic away from the SI. The SI is a car for people that like to drive, not for people that like to be driven by the car. I think the reduced sales of the current SI are a results of a few shortcomings of an otherwise excellent car:

I like to drive. On the track, a manual is preferred, on the street I prefer an automatic.

95% of current buyers want an automatic. No automatic in the Si affects sales. If you do not want an automatic, don't buy one, if you don't want an automatic offered, well you will end up driving an automatic becauses sales of manual trans. only models will be too low to justify production.
  • mari05mari05 Member Posts: 3
    "There will be many differences between the sedan and coupe, but even so, one can easily see the similarities between the sedan shown here and the Civic Si concept shown in Chicago. Most noticeable is the sweeping roofline and A-pillar, which goes right into the hood for a dramatic look. The windshield, side-view mirror treatment, and front-side windows, as well as the rear fender creases and trim, all match closely with the Si concept as well"

Looks pretty good with Civic Si concept cues, the back having TL's edgy looks
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the great pics. The last one looks as if the rear end has been to the photo shop. Opinions?
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    If these pictures are accurate, Honda seems to have done a good job with the Civic sedan. It is much better looking than the current Accord sedan. Let's hope that Honda restyles the front (with a real grille and better headlights) and rear end (similar to the Accord coupe) of the '06 Accord sedan for the mid-cycle update.

Honda needs to make stability control and traction control standard on both the Civic and Accord. Six speed manual and automatic transmissions would be nice also. Honda is starting to fall behind the competition. It is no wonder that their sales are down. If they are not careful, Hyundai is going to steal their customers.
    The last one is indeed a photo shopped version. It's over on that other auto forum that shares a name with a Honda engine technology... ;)

Also on that other site there is some pseudo insider info that the rear of the Civic sedan takes styling cues from the new Audi A4 sedan. pic here another photoshop is in the works incorporating that.

Hopefully we will see some side, front, and 3/4 views soon, and maybe some interior shots. Notice what appears to be a 2 tiered IP design?

As for the Accord, I have read rumors that a more significant MMC than Honda typical. Maybe it will look more like the JDM Inspire at least it has a grill.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    look nice. I wonder what'll happen to the Hybrid version. Will it soldier on using the old platform? Will Honda redesign it and launch it at the same time as the gasoline powered version?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    The Civic Hybrid sedan based on the 8th-generation Civic is supposed to be unveiled some time in Spring 2006. My guess is that they'll use the engine from the upcoming US version of the Honda Fit in the car (just like the current Civic Hybrid uses the base i-DSI 1.3-liter I-4 engine from the current Fit model), and the battery pack could be using the recently-announced fast-charging lithium-ion batteries from Toshiba.

The resulting car will performance only slightly slower than the 8th-generation Civic sedan, but will likely sport fuel efficiency probably identical to the current-model Toyota Prius. :) In short, Prius fuel efficiency for those who don't want to be the center of attention on the road. :D
    Does anyone think this car (Civic Si) will be out to buy this yr. Honda said it would be out late 2005. But we all know what Chevy did with the Cobalt SS. They said it was coming out late fall 2004 and it is almost summer of 05 and it is still not out. what do you all think about when this car will be out to buy. cause i am looking forward to it.
This discussion has been closed.