Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• roger227roger227 Member Posts: 5
    Right, gotcha on the electronics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the issue with high perf. engine and high compression is that once you compress a gas/air mixture more than n:1 the mixture detonates on it's own without an outside infuence (i.e. no spark, the compression itself is the catalyst). Basically the same way diesel works.

The higher octane retards the detonation allowing a higher compression without self-detonation so that the spark (via the spark plug) is the catalyst. ??
  • burk1burk1 Member Posts: 5
    So what's a good cold air intake
  • burk1burk1 Member Posts: 5
    for a 92 civic
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    You should probably post your question somewhere else. This thread is for the discussion of the 2006 Honda Civics.

About the 06 Civic, I just saw this article from http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman/publish/article_343.shtml

It seems that in December, Honda will offer a system for direct iPod integration with the new Civic. I read about aux jacks for the Civic, but apparently the iPod will get direct integration, allowing you to change tracks, etc, via the stereo controls. Also there is this:

"In addition, the Honda Music Link will be the first system to offer synthesized audio voice feedback when using the vehicle audio system to search for artist name, album title, genre, or play list on your iPod." Not sure what this means.

I wonder if this will be available for all trims or just the upgraded stereo in the EX or just Navi models?
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    9 more!!!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The best example of engines being run at high rpm is of course the racing leagues. I'm not sure which leagues Honda , Ford ... build engines for, but I believe they ALL need rebuilds after 1 or 2 races of several hours at high rpm. And I'm sure there are much more exotic materials in Indy, F1, and SCCA engines than on any Honda on the road.

Aluminum is aluminum, and steel is steel in Japan, Germany or the U.S.

Very, very few people are accumulating hours of high rpm driving on the street. No one is holding their engines at 8,000 rpm. If they hit that they're shifting to the next higher gear immediately.

Last tim eI checked out of "plebian" makes only Honda and Toyota ware in Formula 1. None of the domestics nor Koreans are in participating in Formula 1. Out of all the makes represented in Formula 1, only two are fairly available for major percent of population to buy. Neither Mercedes, BMW, McLaren, Porche, and Renault are available nor affordable like Honda and Toyota.
    Do all 1.6L civics have the vtech or is there some with a non vtech head and if so how can you tell

Yes all of the 1.6's have VTECH because the owner brings their VTECH phone with him.

If you were referring to VTEC, then the answer is no. Only higher trims have VTEC. EX's have half VTEC, Si's have full VTEC. 1.6 was only produced from 1996 to 2000. The 1.6 Si is only 1999-2000.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, Renaults are affordable, just not available all over e.g. in the U.S. But one thing for sure... they don't make Civics.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    crazycro, the transcript should be up in a few days - it takes us a little while to get it all cleaned up.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Is this the first year Civics will be made somewhere other than Japan or has Honda been producing Civics in the US or Canada for a while? It seems that both Toyota and Honda have experienced some "growing pains" during the first model year that a vehicle is produced somewhere other than Japan, so I'm curious whether this may be an issue for the 06 Civic as well. Any thoughts?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Electronics automatically retard the spark to eliminate premature detonation ( pinging). This was not possible with points and plugs and carbs. Now it is possible, so most cars that say they require premium will actaully run just fine on regular unleaded with a loss of 10-15 hp.
    AEM or Ingen free 5-8 Hp. Be sure and get hydor lock or get a new 2006 Civic. Most of the new Hondas ( 7th gen accord) , new Civic, know about cold air and actually pick up the air farther away from the engine, so adding a aftermarket OEM has much less perfromance gain.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    You are correct about the predetonation. tlong is also correct about the electronics retarding the spark.

What we don't know is whether the spark can be retarded enough to compensate for the predetonation with a 10.5:1 compression engine. Probably not, or Honda would have recommended regular fuel for the Si.

It doesn't benefit Honda in any way to recommend premium, so if that is their recomendation, then I'd follow it. Those crazy engineers really do have an understanding of the problem.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Normally they will say somewhere whether or not the car can handle regular, but they have to recommend whatever fuel was used to calculate the horsepower and performance ratings.
    If they used premium for testing, then they can't say premium is unneeded, can they, or people will complain and sue that they don't get the advertised performance.
    It would seem that someone choosing to buy an Si over an EX does not have fuel costs as their number 1 priority.
    Agreed.

On some engines, manufacturers "recommend" premium fuel, but allow the use of lower grade.

On all engines, the manufacturers "require" a minimum octane rating, which may be higher than that provided by regular on some engines, probably including the engine in the Si.

The base engine only has a 9.0:1 compression ratio, the Si has a 10.5:1.

The funny thing is that the manufacturers seem to be worried about is the absolute pressure generated in the cylinder and not the compression ratio. I live at a higher altitude and the gas out here has lower octane ratings than it does at sea level. Yet, amazingly enough, it costs the same.
  • roger227roger227 Member Posts: 5
    Compression in the base 2006 1.8 Civic is 10.5:1, the 2.0 Si is 11:1. (Makes me wonder where the mid-grade octane fits in).

I don't want to drag this out but I have one last nagging question and then I'll drop it.
    If the higher compression causes a pre-detonation, does it matter when the spark plug fires? Hasn't the gas/air mix already exploded?

Thanks guys. Appreciate your responses.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I am pretty sure that Honda has been building in the US for a while, in fact I think the Accord has been produced in the US since 1982. I'm not sure how long the Civic has been produced in the US, though I am sure at least the current (7th) gen was produced in NA.
  • nicholasjnicholasj Member Posts: 5
    It has been my experience that quite a number of Honda's models for the turn of a new design year are built in Japan. Either that, or the engines and transmissions are being shipped to the US or Canada for final assembly to avoid major re tooling issues that occur in the factories of North America. Of course, I would be the first to highly recommend that you snap up a "JHM" Civic or Accord being the Japanese made models are far more superior than their North American counterparts. Case in point, the automatic transmission recalls in a number of Accords resulting in the majority (if not all) of the late-model Honda/Acura products assembled in US/Canada/UK having Japanese-made transmissions. My 1997 Civic LX was a rare model that was mainly Japanese-made, save for the horrible American-made automatic transmission. The engine was far more superior than any American-made or Canadian-made car I've compared it to; and gave me zero problems during my 3-year lease. I'm guessing that the Civic Hybrid will continue to be built in Japan, right along with the Insight, until the technology is refined to the point where we won't have any more people complaining about mileage inconsistencies with their cars. I believe the new 3-cycle design will eliminate a lot of the issues that people have been having with huge differences in overall fuel economy. I personally would like to see a Civic Si completely made in Japan, but it seems that all 2-door coupe models are made Stateside ever since the Accord and Civic offered non-hatchback models. At least a good share of engines and transmissions (all of the HX, most of the EX, and some of the DX/LX models) are made and Japan and shipped here to keep the quality levels up. What we really need is a Retro Prelude with a version of the Acura RLs SH All Wheel Drive system mated to a high-output VTEC from the Integra! But I digress... sorry!
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    6th Gen too. My wife's 98 Civic LX was built in Ohio.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I think that HP is not really the issue. The reason the Accord has the performance it does, is TORQUE. Forget premium fuel. Bore the thing out. The V6 in the Accord does not make 100 Hp per litre, but runs in the 6's with the same fuel consumption as the Si Civic. Remember that the Accord is way heavier than the Civic, so to achieve better performance with a heavy car than the light Civic, useing the same amount of REGULAR fuel should tell you something. Also, did you ever consider locking that teenager in his room? (:-) Now, factor in the ,20 cents more per gallon that the Si costs to run, and you have the Accord being CHEAPER to run than the Civic Si, the accord is, however, not cheaper to buy in the first place,and the Civic EX is way cheaper to run and buy than both of the others. The bottom line, the Civic EX is the one to get if economics is the key factor and you still want a decent car to drive that has a bunch of goodies on it.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    they built Civics in two places. My 1999 Civic Value Package came out of Alliston, Ontario.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    My 1990 Civic hatchback (build date September 1989) was manufactured in Ontario, Canada.
    It is not predetonation, but rather uneven burning. Pre-detonation is more of a diesel effect; that is not what is really happening. The problem is uneven burning once the spark is applied. Higher grade fuel helps control the burning in high compression engines. If the spark is retarded such that the effective compression is only 9.5-10 then regular provides even burning.

I had a 1995 Integra GSR, not sure of the compression off hand but I think it was around 10.5 and premium gas was recomended. I ran regular, mid-range and premium and could really tell no difference in performance.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    but the midnight cowboy has it right. I had several cars that required premium (Z28) Camaro, and others, but I used regular, and I could not tell any difference by the seat of pants method of testing. I still think premium fuel is a scam.
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    I happen to be 16 and im waiting for the 2006 honda civic si. My dad will pay for the car, but gas is another story. The premium fuel requirement surprised me. but if the tank is small the 20 cents extra per gallon wont bother me. I know 2005 honda civic si tank was 13.2, but what about 2006 fuel tank? the same?>
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also, did you ever consider locking that teenager in his room?

Sometimes. But he has to get to school, practice etc. He and his siblings will have to make do with less than 197 hp, until they want to buy their own cars.

Also... I think my '88 Civic LX was built in Ohio.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Not to state the obvious, but the size of the tank will have no bearing on how much extra it will cost to own the Si over the long term. A smaller tank will just make each trip to the gas station a little less painful. The pain will be a little less, but you will incur it more often.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said:

Just read from C&D that the sedan is 140hp/128torque.
    My Mazda 3i is 148hp/135torque.
    My mom's Hyundai Elantra is 138hp/136torque.

Why can't Honda be little bit more competitive with the powertrain? The sedan has lines of the TSX/TL but the powertrain just doesn't match up with the looks.

I agree, which is why I sold my 2003 Civic Coupe and migrated to a Ford Focus, which has a lot more power albeit slightlier heavier weight. However, I have to admit I got 5 mpg more on freeway driving with the Civic than the Focus (both were stick shifts).

Now, the new 140hp and 128 torque ratings really don't sound so bad to me; the new Civic is a little heavier than the old one, but still lighter than the Focus. So this means the new Civic will be within a couple of lb-ft of the Focus on torque, but still have 12 more horsepower, which should be better at the high end. If the new Civic still makes the same gas mileage, it will be a winner in my book.
  • ndlaw06ndlaw06 Member Posts: 1
    Typical import myth that Mustangs/Camaros from the 90's couldn't "turn." They may lack double wishbone suspensions, but at least on dry pavement that had respectable lateral g's and slalom abilities. Few cars can't "turn." Unless you are driving low speed japanese mountains a la intial d, the average american highway and windy backroad has far more straightaway and soft curve than hairpins.

Besides, I used to own a 93' Si, and there was nothing particularly incredible about the handling (or its dissapointing reliability). It was decent, but at high speeds it was unstable. Gas mileage was ok though.
  • steveoregonsteveoregon Member Posts: 41
    I know the official date is supposedly the 15th for a first look at dealerships. But I can't believe that every dealership gets them on exactly the same date. I assume that some might get them a little sooner - or a little later? It will be interesting to see who can post photos of the fist 06 Civic at a dealership lot.

If the Civic is being made in Ohio, would their dealerships get them a little sooner - since they wouldn't have to travel as far?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Looks like Honda hit the nail on the head with this one. It is the first product to9 come out of the Honda stable in years that has peaked my interest. LSD, traditional old school honda reflexes and handling, 0-60mph in under 7 seconds... I'm impressed. The Si couls be a successor to my '01 Prelude Type SH. The motor seems torque deficient compared to my beloved H22A. Only a test drive will tell. When are these bad boys going to be showing up at dealerships?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    I took my 04 accord EX in for it's 50K mile checkup today and decided to talk to a salesman about the civic while I waited. He didn't know any more than I did about the car. It sounded like he was getting the info from the same sources. Only thing worth noting is that there is supposed to be a big unveiling on the 14th or 15th for the salespeople, so they have to wait just like we do.
  • cloudcloud Member Posts: 3
    As I read this forum I had to get my 2 cents in.

I love the new si, and I will most likely buy one the minute it comes out.
    Even though its rated at 197, its the new testing standard. The RSX TYpe S dropped from 210 to like 203ish, same motor.

You drop an AEM V2 Intake and your pushing 220+.
    http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6106%2002-03%20Acura%20RSX-S%20V2.pdf

This is from the 2002 rsx which is "weaker" then the new one. It still gained almost 19 hp to the wheels, not fly wheel, but wheels. That's like 23ish hp flywheel from a 300 dollar intake.

The K20 is a fabulous engine to modify, and you can easily push 230 to the fly wheels with the triple crown of a good intake (aem) headers (dc sports) and exhaust. You add hondata ecu to the equation and you got a high 13 second car in the 1/4 mile which can beat a Mustang GT.

Ask any true tuner about the k20a. It's not uncommon to see RSX type S's running mid to high 13s at your local track with mild upgrades. And they don't even have a LSD like the new si does.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Is this a dealer-upgradeable option or do you have to buy the car with it?

May be worth waiting for if the dealer can't upgrade...
  • theeduc8tortheeduc8tor Member Posts: 1
    Actually, the cost of the gas isn't really the main concern. But Dad will be sticker shocked when he adds his 16yr old and a Honda Civic Si to the family's vehicle insurance plan! Honda Civics, even for an old guy like me, are not cheap to insure. Advice to Dad...the Honda with the lowest insurance premium for any age/sex driver is the 4-door Honda Accord, and it takes regular gasoline.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Other major reasons that newly licensed teenage drivers should not be "given" new cars, especially temptingly-fast ones such as the 2006 Civic Si:

http://www.drivehomesafe.com/teen_driving_fatality_information_start_page.htm
  • stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    8 more days
    8 more days
    8 more days
    8 more days
    8 more days8 more days
    8 more days
    8 more days8 more days
    Actually, the cost of the gas isn't really the main concern. But Dad will be sticker shocked when he adds his 16yr old and a Honda Civic Si to the family's vehicle insurance plan! Honda Civics, even for an old guy like me, are not cheap to insure. Advice to Dad...the Honda with the lowest insurance premium for any age/sex driver is the 4-door Honda Accord, and it takes regular gasoline.

CR-V is even cheaper to insure. I went from 2002 Civic Si to 2005 CR-V and my insurance was cut in half. I got a more expensive vehicle, but it cost less to insure. And I am not a teen, I am 30.

P.S. The CR-V is manual.
    Other major reasons that newly licensed teenage drivers should not be "given" new cars, especially temptingly-fast ones such as the 2006 Civic Si:

http://www.drivehomesafe.com/teen_driving_fatality_information_start_page.htm

I think he SHOULD be given the car. He will have a higher chance of killing or hurting him self and/or others. He will be paying for it for the rest of his life if he survives. It may be a sign that his parents want him out of the house, but don't think he will go to college or ever move out. So, the give him a high power sports car so he can kill him self.

Jokes aside, I agree with you. But there are parents who raise spoiled brats and give them everything. And the more they give them, the more kids will expect out of them.
  • eman606eman606 Member Posts: 1
    I know the 4cyl. and 6cyl. Accord engines have a 105,000 mile interval for scheduled tune-ups. What about the new 2006 Civic engines, 1.8L and 2.0L? Does anyone have any information on this?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    105,000 on the Civics, too. But "tuneups" are a misnomer from the old rotor-condensor-conventional spark plugs era. It is true you aren't required to replace plugs or adjust the timing until 105,000 miles, but the dealer will still certainly manage to knick you for $500 or so in maintenance/preventive maintenance every 30,000 miles.
    It is easy enough to not let the dealer do unneeded and uncalled for maintainance and keep your $500.
    The K20 in the current Civic Si, RSX, RSX-S has a 105,000 mile engine maintenance interval. And has been since 2002.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Very long time ago, I asked my Dad for a car.... Reply was, " Sure thing Son. Go out, and buy one ". Few days later, I joined the Army, saw the world and drove a jeep for Uncle Sam... Most of the Kids in school at that time ( 1964 ) drove bicycles only... Now you see them with cars..
    im 16 and im getting a new car big whoop.
    its a 2006 honda civic si, and im not spoiled :D
    And im probably the best stick shift driver here, im 16 but i know how to drive stick and very well at that
  • civicsi1civicsi1 Member Posts: 2
  • civicsi1civicsi1 Member Posts: 2
    YEAHHHHH????
    @$%%#@#%#@# why sooooo slowww for a 197 HP with LSD i defenetly thought that it would go at leats 6.5 or lower. Honda said this Si is the fastest si they buit but the 1999 Si did 0-60 in 7.2 WHAT is going on im defenetly not buying this civic. Honda punched my face and it hurts :sick: . AT least it looks good. If anyone know that if im wrong or made a mistake PLS telll me.
    calm down
    i heard maybe 6.5-6.7
    those 7.0+ are estimates
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    And im probably the best stick shift driver here, im 16 but i know how to drive stick and very well at that

It's not your ability with a stick that's in question. I'm sure your quite capable, but probably not as good as me. It's the fact that your 16 and driving an 06 Si. Your 16, all 16 year olds have a need for speed, but not the judgement of when to dish it out. Is your dad even aware of what a racing performance vehicle this is? your better off with the sedan civic. I wouldn't buy an Si for my son and he's the most responsible person I know, even compared to all the adults I know (straight A's, general sterling scholar, scholarships and the works.) Sorry, even he doesn't get an 06 Si. He's also wise enough not to even want an 06 Si. He's perfectly happy with his Toyota truck.
    arent 06 civic si meant for teens?
    it appeals to me and nothing wrong with that
This discussion has been closed.