Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• stupidfoolstupidfool Member Posts: 53
    i was about to buy a 03 eclipse which isn't even considered a sports car and UNDER my mom's name it was 3500 bux a year!!! for a 3yr old car, for a 06 CIVIC SPORTS PACkage kind of car i'll expect that to double if not triple unless you like own the insurance company or their like the stupidest insurers ever
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    calm down
    i heard maybe 6.5-6.7
    those 7.0+ are estimates

I'm sure it will depend on the driver. My understanding is that your in 3rd gear when your reach sixty in the Si. Your 0-60 time will be dependant on how good your foot work is. Cruising at 75 mph, your in sixth at approx 3,000rpms.

For instance, the best Vette has a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds (Ferrai country), but your still in first gear when you hit 60 mph, although your a little over redline. I'm sure much of that excellent time is due to the lack of shifting.

Their is not one person that hasn't come back from a test drive in the Si that hasn't been astounded with it's performance. Fun is a sure guarantee in this car. I wouldn't worry about it. It's been said you won't find a car with this sport performance at more than twice the price.
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    i was about to buy a 03 eclipse which isn't even considered a sports car and UNDER my mom's name it was 3500 bux a year!!! for a 3yr old car, for a 06 CIVIC SPORTS PACkage kind of car i'll expect that to double if not triple unless you like own the insurance company or their like the stupidest insurers ever

Shut up i can get insurance on the car 4 $5000 a year and i dont mind
  • loudgizmoloudgizmo Member Posts: 9
    I was wondering--has anyone heard of the possibility of the new Civic being offered in an HX-like package in the future? (By HX-like I mean a higher MPG, non-hybrid, gasoline or diesel engine.)

I realize that Honda would much rather sell Civic Hybrids at a higher price, but with the outlook for gasoline to remain in the high $2/low $3 range until at least the end of 2006, I expect that at least one car maker will break from the ranks and offer a low-cost/high-MPG car in the US. (If VW had an appreciable market share I'd say they're already doing it with their TDI, but I'm thinking of something from a bigger player.)

Perhaps Honda plans to do that with the Fit/Jazz, but I would love to see a $15K, 50MPG Civic.
    i doubt 2006 civic si will be that expensive for me being 16
    i know plenty of people at my school about my age with 2005 mustangs bmws mercedes and lots of expensive high horse power cars. This civic si is reasonable, and will get a reasonable insurance cost
  • cloudcloud Member Posts: 3
    Creamyam
    The only reason their insurence rates will be "reasonable" is because
    the car was bought from their parents and it's their parents who the car is under so it will be cheaper. If it was under your name alone expect rates to be over 3k every 6 months. And more then likely if you even get the 06 Si, your parents will buy it for you. Your line about "And im probably the best stick shift driver here, im 16 but i know how to drive stick and very well at that " proved your age was at the most 16 before you even mentioned it.
    The car will be insured under my name
    the car will be mine
    Dont ever try and fool insurance companies, just not a good idea
  • civic_lx_04civic_lx_04 Member Posts: 1
    with the new Si, it's 8300rpm ;)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wouldn't buy my teen a brand new Si. And my teen is smart enough to not want one when he turns 16. He's got his eyes on my 99 Value Package :blush:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Just because some members view this as a vehicle designed to appeal to teenagers doesn't mean we're going to let this discussion devolve into All-Star Teenage Smackdown. Personally-directed posts have been removed.

Also, this discussion isn't monitored in real-time, so please be patient as it may take a few hours for hosts to review posts. Or, if you feel so inclined, you can e-mail me to let me know.

Back to the Civic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    "I'm sure it will depend on the driver. My understanding is that your in 3rd gear when your reach sixty in the Si. Your 0-60 time will be dependant on how good your foot work is. Cruising at 75 mph, your in sixth at approx 3,000rpms."

I don't remember seeing gear ratio info, but maybe I missed it. Any idea what rpm's the 06 civic sedan will be running when cruising at 70, 75 and 80 mph with the 5-speed auto? Anyone?
    I couldn't agree more that 0-60 times depend on the driver. I think it's funny how many times over the years I've seen people go nuts over a quarter or a half second, when those same people won't ever do anything even close to that in the car. (This IS NOT a slam against anyone here, just a general observation from someone who's been a fan of all things automotive for over 30 years.)

I also agree that the test drive of the Si will be the key factor. I used to own a Prelude (last generation), and it was the sweetest drive I'd ever owned, and that includes a BMW 325is and a Supra. My Prelude went down the road like a happy gazelle that just wanted to run. If the Civic Si has that much grace and is that free revving (and I suspect it will be very close), it will make a lot of drivers deliriously happy, regardless of its exact 0-60 time.
    I have mixed feelings about the new CD/MP3/WMA player in the 06 civic. On the plus side, the custom form looks great, and the added MP3 and WMA playback is a nice bonus, not the mention the aux jack. On the minus side is it's lack of upgradability. Should anything happen to it, or I just get the urge for more power, I can't really replace it since (I'm assuming it's like my 04 Accord EX) the custom stereo is tied in with the AC controls.
    Any thoughts?
    If I'm wrong, please correct me.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There is no stereo in the DX, so obviously the stereo can be removed.
    The Civic is not an Accord.
    It's only integrated if you get factory nav and even then the A/C has separate controls.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I live in central Alabama, and just drove past a Birmingham holding facility for several car manufacturers. Parked in plain view of the road are over 100 Honda Civics! I had not seen one in person until now.

Judgement: The Civic sedan DEFINITELY looks better in person than it does in the pictures. The raked windshield and sedan rear-end really make a better impression than pictures let on. Long live the new Civic!!!

By the way, I saw two different styles of alloy wheels on the sedan. I'm guessing LX and EX? They were not the Hybrid wheels, as I know what they look like.
    "There is no stereo in the DX, so obviously the stereo can be removed."

Ah, but the DX doesn't have AC either, so that alone doesn't discount my concern about a tie-in. If you know of an article about the stereo, please provide a link as I haven't seen it discused in much detail.
    The stereo is not tied to the A/C. Even on the Accord, only models with navigation have controls tied together because, on Accords, the touch screen and voice controls from the navi can also control the A/C.
    On the Civic the touch screen and voice controls do not operate the A/C.
    I believe we have a misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about controling the AC from the radio. If you look at a picture of the dash: TOV sedan pics you can see that the stereo, AC controls, emergency light switch and even a vent are all integrated into a single custom dash element. An after market stereo can not fit into the encolsure as there is no separate encolsure like there was in previous civic models (05 civic sedan dash). Even the current model Accords can't have the radio "replaced" as the display is part of the dash. With the Accord you have to take out the CD storage bin and intall a bracket to hold an after market stereo. But even then, you are left with the original, unusable display still in the dash.
  • crazycrocrazycro Member Posts: 12
    I am sure that whatever makes up the bezel for the dx will be useable for the other civic models and vice verca. I have been installing car stereos for over 12 years and I have found that many things like the entire bezel are exchangeable from a lower end model to a upperscale model. As long as it comes from a coupe and goes in a coupe same thing goes for the sedan. I am almost a 100% sure about this. All you have to do is buy the DX'S Bezel. But will have to wait and see when they finnally arrive.

I can't wait for December to buy the SI. :cry:
    I'm glad, but not the least bit surprised, that the sedan looks better in person than it does in pictures. Honda has a long history of doing this.

Personally, I would prefer a hatchback Civic, but since that's not an option in '06, it's increasingly looking like a sedan is in my future.

Thanks for the report.
    7 more days :-)
    7 more days :-)7 more days :-)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    im 16 and im getting a new car big whoop.
    its a 2006 honda civic si, and im not spoiled
    And im probably the best stick shift driver here, im 16 but i know how to drive stick and very well at that

I think skills come with experience, so you are telling me that you have 10 years worth of experience driving sticks? You must have been 6 when they put you behind the wheel. How did you manage to get your 6 year olf legs to reach the gas, brake, and clutch pedals? How did you muster up the strength to turn the steering wheel with the 6 year old muscles? Most states do not allow kids to get their learning permits until they are 16. Which will mean that you have not been driving legally until last year. I don't think you have mustered up driving in just one year of limited driving. It takes different situations to get the skills honed.

You may be the best stick shiftd driver amongst your peers, may be. But not amongst people out here. There are people who have been driving stick when I was just a twinkle, and you were not even a thought.
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    I believe I saw on College Hills Honda website that there was a 17" alloy wheel accessory available. Could these be the wheels you saw? Can anyone confirm this?
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    A post above is right on point. The dash of the 2005 Civic has whats called a double-din opening. Only an aftermarket dash kit is needed to mount a single din receiver, no kit needed for a double din replacement unit.

I believe that the AC controls are not linked with the Nav unit (2006), therefor a replacement dash piece (bezel) used for Civics w/ Navi would need to be used for an aftermarket installation. Wiring either via interface harness or direct hard wire. Functionality for steering wheel mounted controls would be lost, although, there is an aftermarket option to restore those as well.
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    Somebody knows when we can see EPA estimation for Civic 2006 (Coupe/Sedan)? I still do not believe that Auto will take less gas then Manual. :( Of course mostly it depends from driver's habits. Even with 39 mpg on highway some people, I believe, can get for about 42mpg.
    Just because a car is manual doesn't mean that it gets better mileage than an automatic on the highway if the automatic runs at lower rpm at highway speeds.
    I don't know why you think you can get 42 mpg on the manaul (or any mpg number higher than the automatic version driven in the same manner) when you have not driven the car.
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know if dealers currently have and are distributing brochures on the new Honda Civic Sedan?

Also, if I go to the dealer on the 15th and show an interest in the sedan, what can I expect to pay? Will these cars sell for sticker, (MSRP) or something above or below?

Thanks
  • viva_unixviva_unix Member Posts: 14
    not me... :) I say "some people".
    Would people pay sticker or above for a mass market econocar when that would give it an uncompetitive selling price compared to other cars that are discounted?
    If people are willing to pay full sticker or above for a Civic LX, then yes the dealers would take their money happily.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Maybe this is what you're looking for:

http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/hondacivic/

There's a picture in the photo gallery of a 1-DIN head unit and a cd-changer below it.

Source: TOV
  • mcb74mcb74 Member Posts: 13
    Is the new civic larger than the old? I currently have a 2002 4dr and might consider the new 2006 because of the hybrid and a long commute. But with an expanding family, I also need space. Is the new Civic larger than the old and how does it compare to the size of the Prius? Any other suggestions for economical cars with space?
  • steveoregonsteveoregon Member Posts: 41
    "The 2006 Civic 4D and 2D on-sale date has been changed from September 15,
    2005 to September 9, 2005."
    * The Civic 4D Type 4 release is scheduled for Thursday, September 8, 2005
    * The Civic 2D Type 4 release is targeted for Monday, September 12, 2005"

Interesting, that would be today & tomorrow.
  • steveoregonsteveoregon Member Posts: 41
    Dumb question:

What is "type 4" ?
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Actually one more day according to TOV. Honda apparently moved up the release day!
    called all dealerships in my area sedan will be in the 12th coupe the 15th NEVER BUY FROM FRANK KENT AUTO GROUP they told me they were getting em early or late october i started talking to the sales rep and said other dealerships and he said well wat u waiting for go get it from them and hanged up the phone

wow good salesman alright

oh and i'm in the DFW area... and info from vandergriff group
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Hmm... guess that explains why the local dealer seems to be Sold Out of 2005 Civics....
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    From what I have read, there is slightly less rear seat leg room due to the space used up by the highly raked windshield.

I would go and look at the car, though, in my experience cars with very similar dimensions on paper "feel" a lot different when you sit in them.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    I called two dealerships in Chicago and Indianapolis. The dealerships in Chicago said that they should have the Civic's this week or next week. One dealership in Indy said he heard that they would be moved up, then he said they would be pushed back to the 22nd. Second dealership in Indy said that they would be coing out on the 15th. I wish they would come out this weekend, I have Monday off. I will purchase a EX on Monday if they are out.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    One of the dealerships said that it would be around $18,000.
    "Around 18,000."
    Anyone could have guessed that. They don't know the price.
    There is no use worrying about the price before you can buy it and before real prices are known, not guesses.
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    what can we expect to pay for an EX sedan? it has to be below the MSRP right? i dont see many paying full sticker price for these
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    I just read the posts from 2 days ago. The last generation of Civics had fixed intervals for everything oil changes, filter, tuneups, blah blah blah. Then the dealers located in all 50 states informed you that you were subject to severe conditions and needed service far more often than the average Joe.

The 2006 will sense the type of driving, temps you drive in etc and notify you when....... the time has come. I believe this is similar to what BMW has offered for awhile.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=396999&page_number=11

Civic: Maintenance Minder and Tune-Up Intervals
    The Civic's engine tune-up schedule is calculated by the Maintenance Minder system. The Maintenance Minder system automatically indicates when to have standard service performed based on actual driving conditions (tracked by the ECU) and minimizes the guesswork related to whether the vehicle is being used in standard or severe use conditions for maintenance interval purposes. The display indicates when to change the oil, air cleaner, transmission fluid, spark plugs or coolant, as well as when to rotate the tires. Under normal usage, a tune-up is not required until typically more than 100,000 miles (only routine inspections and fluid changes are required up to this point). Credit for this longevity goes to long-wearing iridium spark plugs, a long-life timing chain, and careful engineering of the precisely manufactured SOHC valvetrain-which reliably maintains proper valve tappet clearances until the first tune-up.
    6days :)
    6days :) till i get a civic ex coupe, anyone know when prices are likely to be up on cars.com definatly not paying msrp will try to haggle for around 500 over invoice
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    In all do respect, if you are getting an '06 Civic when they first come out, you WILL be paying a lot closer to MSRP than you will to sticker price. It will be that way for the first few months.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    what can we expect to pay for an EX sedan? it has to be below the MSRP right? i dont see many paying full sticker price for these

It is a matter of supply and demand. If there is enough fools to pay MSRP plus some, any dealer would be stupid not to take it. Once the "I gotta be the first on the block to have the new Civic" have paid exuberant amounts, then dealers will sell at MSRP, and then when people stop buying at MSRP, dealers will sell at bellow MSRP. Once people stop buying at $200 above invoice, Honda will redesign the car to boost more sales for the last 2 years of the model run. Then, when the 2010 rumors start flowing around Honda will throw "marketing incetive" to the dealers to sell cars bellow invoice. So, I say sometime in the summer of 2009, you should be able to buy it bellow invoice.

If you are going to be the first at the door to get the 2006 Civic, don't expect antying bellow MSRP, and consider your self lucky if get MSRP with no mark up or dealer processing fees of $500.

Unless of course, the new Civic is a flop and no one wants it, then you can get it for invoice or close by January, when Honda realizes that they are not selling. But, I would not bet on it.

Here is my example, I wanted the 2002 Civic Si, but the $19,500 MSRP was not very inviting. I waited until all the fools who really wanted one paid $22,000 for it. Then in January of 2003 I bought the 2002 Si with 8 miles on the odo for $14,500. Waiting always works.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38695/

they say $1000 increase across the board. Stupid. You are better off gradually raising prices as discounts increase and popularitiy occurs.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the worship site has prices up. An EX (sedan or coupe) 5MT is $18,810 including destination, so not too much more than an '05 SE. Navi adds $1,500 to the price of the sedan.

I don't recall the rest of the prices, since this is the only one I am interested in, but you can always go look yourself.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    spoke to my dealer friend at the local honda world..he said he would sell me the '06 civic "at a little over cost"
    noone will be paying anywhere NEAR msrp for these
This discussion has been closed.